Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• wpowellwpowell Member Posts: 125
    Took the family to the beach in the Jeep this week. What a great time! It was sunny and about 65 degrees and there was almost no one on the beach except us. This was the first time my wife or kids had driven on the beach. Photos:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Mark
  • cbullochcbulloch Member Posts: 2
    Sounds like our plans are pretty similar. I have been considering the 8 in a MDF mount as well. I have the whole thing apart right now but I don't have a speaker to test fit. It will probably be a tight fit but possible. The main obstabcle is the bottom of the console tray that is accessible from the top. Depending on the speaker and mount configuration it may work. The other consideration is the emergency break.

I probably won't undertake anything for a couple months because I am doing the HU and four speakers at the moment. I will post some details when I get around to working on it.

As for the rear seat box there is one guy who has a couple different designs and has a great sliding under the driver seat amp mount as well. Really great stuff unlike anything I had seen before. http://www.sirgcal.com/jeep/
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    It's normal for that to happen if you engage 4WD on a high traction surface............... but not in 12-18"!

The usual cause for binding is one propshaft trying to rotate at a different speed to the other, rather than any problem with the transfer case.

I have to ask, is it possible that one of your axles didn't get its gearing changed, or it got the wrong ratio? That would give exactly the problem you've got, and most vehicles problems are related to the last item that was worked on.
  • timmay1timmay1 Member Posts: 7
    Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure if they were both change but I did ask for both to be done. I called the shop I got my gearing done and they said to try it on a very loose surface, not my driveway or a hard dirt surface. I trust they changed both front and rear, like the service slip says but I'm not sure without cracking it open. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Tim
    Actually, cracking them open would be a good idea for a couple of reasons. First, you can check for sure that the ratios are correct, and second, it's a good idea to change the oil as soon as they're broken in. It's an easy job and the oil and sealant is cheap. :)
    O.K., this is what I did:

Lifted rear end off the ground. I marked each tire at bottom center, then I marked the drive shaft right at the axle housing, then I marked the axle housing even with my mark on the drive shaft (that way I could see my reference point against my mark on the shaft as I spun the tires). I put a marker on the ground directly under each mark on the tires, spun the tires one revolution only, then did the same on the front end too. This is what I got:

Rearend: 4.5 revolutions
    Frontend: 3.75 revolutions

Wrong gears? I suspect so. Any inputs?

Thanks

Tim
    Seems like they only changed the rear one doesn't it! :mad:

I don't think you need any advice on how to get things fixed though. ;)
    It sure seems that way.

I've been in touch with the rearend shop and the guy didn't dispute that possibly the wrong gears could have been put in. I'm glad I have the warrenty with them.

Thanks

Tim
  • davids1davids1 Member Posts: 411
    Let us know what happens when you take it back to the shop!!!
  • greddengredden Member Posts: 30
    Do you think it would be ok to use OME shocks with my Rubicon Express lift?
    I'm sure that they'd be fine, and you might give some thought to Bilsteins as well.
  • greddengredden Member Posts: 30
    I'm kind of new to this. What are Bilsteins? I have not heard of them.
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    Mark:

It does my heart good to see a family enjoying their Jeep together! Glad you guys are having fun with that Rubicon.

Thanks for sharing the pics. Those are some cute little Jeepers you have there.

Tomster
    Have you hugged your Jeep today?
    ......What are Bilsteins?....

They're another make of shock with a good rep. Made by a Germany company so it ties in with your Jeeps' current heritage. :P

Here's a pic:

If you use the excellent search feature, you'll find a fairly recent discussion covering the correct part numbers and best pricing (I think it was from Autozone).
  • jeff62301jeff62301 Member Posts: 310
    the price on the new bfg mt's at Sams is $150 / each, when I bought my tires a year ago,, they were the best on pricing by far anywhere in Central IL.

jts

if you want them, get them.
    I've been in contact with the shop who did my gearing since I found this problem and the guy said the possiblity exists the shop could have put in the wrong gears. He said he's seen box's come mis-marked and incorrect gears get put in.

When I called him back with what I found, he said to bring it in and he'll fix it for free. Nice guy the entire time. I don't think I'll have any problems but I'll let you know when it's done.

Leason learned: Check the driveability in 2H, 4H, and 4L when you have gears replaced. I'm glad I dropped it into 4WD prior to going 4X4ing this weekend...

Tim
    Tim:

Do you think that there might be some damage caused by your short time in 4WD? I would certainly have the guy check things out the best he can. Sounds like an honest guy, so maybe he would tell you if you have done any damage because of their mistake.

Tom
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    That was me; Autozone had the best price I could find and it only took a couple of days to get them.
    BTW Mac, while we were installing the Bilsteins we found that the front anti-roll bar links WERE shot. Now the Sahara rides and handles 100% better!
    .......BTW Mac, while we were installing the Bilsteins we found that the front anti-roll bar links WERE shot.......

;)
  • barnz_69barnz_69 Member Posts: 75
    Hey guys. Finally got around to buying my new tires and rims. I decided on all of your advice, and got 5 bfg mt's 31x10.5 and the black AR wheels, 15x8 with 4" backspacing. They'll be in by next Friday, and I can't wait!!!! It's like waiting for my jeep all over again--my second x-mas in as many weeks. I told them I'd likely prefer blackwall out...does this sound good?

By the way, the total price (balancing, mounting, lugs, taxes, etc.) came to $1500 and change Canadian getting just over $100 dollars for my worn GSA's. Not too shabby considering I got a set of five, and the tires alone are $200ish.

Happy in jeepland!

Ryan
    Happy for ya, Ryan! I hope you will post a pic once the tires and new wheels are on your Jeep.

Blackwall or white letter out is totally a personal preference type of thing. There is no "right or wrong."

Did you get chrome lug nuts and the chrome center pieces for those AR767's? I'm NOT a fan of chrome on a Jeep, but that little bit of chrome looks pretty good.

I'll try to find a pic of Thelma Jane when she first got her new wheels and tires.

Tom

OK, found a pic for you in time to include it in this post. Boy, Thelma Jane looks weird without that winch up front! I had not yet gotten a winch when I took that pic.

I don't think there was any damage. I did play with it a little in 4WD based on some advice from people but I didn't force anything to a point where I thought I'd do damage to the gears or transfer case. If there is any damage then I'll cross that bridge if/when it happens.

Funny thing, my manual says I can shift from 2H to 4H going as fast as 55mph, that just doesn't sound healthy in any case. I did try it going about 2mph max a couple times but the Jeep just slewed to a stop. No noises or ground up gearing rattleing around and I'll have him look at everything when he's in there.

Thanks

Tim
    Nah, I got the stainless steel centre caps and lugs for slightly more money, though I don't think the caps say American Racing on them, which is no big deal. Not sure if the stainless is as shiny as the chrome, but at least they'll hold up a bit longer, hopefully.

The whitewalls out look good on Thelma Jane...guesss I'll have a week or so to decide. Maybe the white out will look good since my entire jeep is black. The beefier spare and wheel on the back (spare) should look sharp as well.

So excited...

Ryan
    I doubt that there's any damage if you were as careful as you say. It's perfectly ok to engage 4WD high at speed as long as you're on a loose or low traction surface (assuming the same ratio in each axle of course!).
  • randyacerandyace Member Posts: 96
    Hey, Tom...you won't believe this, but I have a question about axle ratio and tire sizes....... ;)

Seriously, those tires and wheels are awesome. Are they still clean????

In case all forum members weren't fully aware of this, Tom is one heck of a friend and mentor to us all. He's been giving me private advice vie e-mail with respect to dumb questions I have, and his patience is admirable! I appreciate it very much.

Happy and Safe New Year Everyone!

Randy
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    advice vie e-mail with respect to dumb questions I have

And a lot of lurking newbies are missing out on some great advice.... :sick:

C'mon you two - share!

Steve, Host
  • drewmeisterdrewmeister Member Posts: 168
    Well, I was at the salvage/part yard for something else today, and they have a set of Mickey Thopmson Classic 2s (I believe) with a "Hercules" all terrain tire set in 31x10.5. There are only four, and tread is half or so on the tires (I have no illusions that the Hercules is probably a discount brand), but the wheels look really good. Didn't have a tape measure with me so I'm not sure about the backspacing, but the counter guy said they came off a 97 TJ, so at least I know they're the standard bolt pattern and would go back on. I'll check just to make sure they weren't the pimpin roller-skate type that stick way out, but assuming they're in the 4-4.5 range, is it worth it? They want 400 for all four.
    Steve: It's really too embarrassing. I'm still having trouble "decoding" the difference between 3.07 and 3.73 ratios, how each affects performance/mileage, etc., and upgrading to beefier tires.

Truthfully, most of what I needed I found by doing discussion searches, but I needed Tom to spell it out for me using "Dick and Jane" as Jeep owners.

"....oh, NOW I get it!"

I tend to overthink things that I'm not familiar with, and get confused :confuse:

I suspect our lurkers aren't as dense as I've been this past week!

Randy
    Lol, ok but we have to rename the book "Tom and Mtngal." And we've had some great Spot pics over the years. :shades:

Steve, Host
  • wheelsdownwheelsdown Member Posts: 250
    Randy,

If I remember correctly, you have the 3.07 3 speed auto. I have the same thing. I think I replied to one of your posts that when I went to 30" tires, I lost a little pep (remembering this combo is not exactly a street burner to begin with).

Get the 30's, it is amazing how much better they look. After all, you are not going to be going to the drag strip.
    Mine are a lot noiser. I went white letters out, looks good on Red Ryder.

Terry
  • mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    "but we have to rename the book "Tom and Mtngal."

I'm just in the opinionated cheering section - the book should be the Tom and Mac book. They're the ones who provide all the good information.
    I sort of think of Mac as more of the wizard behind the curtain type, even if he's not from Oz.

Steve, Host
    Terry:

Actually, mine is the six-speed manual, but it is with the 3.07.

Okay, I'm going to 'fess up on something. I simply couldn't determine my axle ratio, and Jeep's "contact us" link was down (was attempting to request the Build Sheet). So, I e-mailed Tom for help.

Tom told me to look underneath my jeep and I'd find a tag/decal which would tell me my axle ratio. So, I dutifully crawled underneath with my digital camera, looked and looked, and finally found a round, metal disk. To my shock, the bottom portion, which stated "Ratio" on it, had the numbers "2.72" embossed on it.

Well, dang...I guess I didn't have either the 3.07 OR the 3.73. So, I shot Tom the pic of the disk, and he replied (and I KNOW he was laughing as he typed, but wouldn't admit it), that what I took a picture of was.....(I can't stand this)....the transfer case!

So, gang, THAT'S why I was secretly soliciting Tom's advice. But what the heck....I figure you all need a good laugh, and I'm not one to take myself too seriously (well, usually).

Mtngal, I agree...."Tom and Mac's" Book seems very appropriate.....but please keep "Dick & Jane" for me!

Yours in perpetual confusion,

Randy
    I sort of think of Mac as more of the wizard behind the curtain type, even if he's not from Oz.

Kind of like the guy pulling levers at the beginning of 'Eraserhead'? Perhaps, but you're right that I'm not from the land of Oz, neither the Judy Garland nor the platypus version. :shades:
    Okay, I'm going to 'fess up on something. I simply couldn't determine my axle ratio.............

I guarantee that there are lurkers here who don't know how the transmission and drive train are laid out under a Jeep. Don't feel that any question is too basic to ask on this forum.

Hey, nobody's born knowing anything! ;)
    I agree...before I became a jeep owner/member to this forum, I wouldn't even dare rotate my own tires. Now, not only do I do that regularly, but Tom and Mac have 'talked' me into doing my own fluid changes, adjusting steering stops, and plain out helped me understand the mechanics of my jeep. Trust me, if I can learn these things, anyone can, and they (along with all other members as well) have given my the confidence and know-how to look after my jeep.

All in all, this forum has been invaluable with all its help and fantastic members!!
    You and mac25 make some viable points about sharing info. However, at 53 years of age, I feel as if I should know more about automotive mechanics...sighhh...

I fear some of the questions I ask privately...had they been posted on the forum, would have led someone to ask me at what intervals I change the air in my tires! But, I'm purty sure I wouldn't have bit on that one!

Randy
    You and mac25 make some viable points............

Mac who??? Sounds like a dubious character to me.

.......ask me at what intervals I change the air in my tires!

Surely you do it whenever you change the blinker fluid. ;)

Seriously though, I don't ever remember anyone being mocked or sneered at for asking for asking even the most basic of questions.
    "Seriously though, I don't ever remember anyone being mocked or sneered at for asking for asking even the most basic of questions."

That's one of the things I really like about this forum - everyone is friendly, patient, and fun - a great place to hang out.

By the way, my husband's idea of working on a vehicle is to take it to a mechanic. If he were to get under the Wrangler he'd describe it as a bunch of metal.
  • rankinhubrankinhub Member Posts: 19
    I've read-up on the previous posts regarding connecting a CB radio to one of the two unused fuses in the fuse box, etc., but both of those on my 2005 Unlimited Rubi do not have wiring behind them, with no apparent spare power wires behind the glove box. Plus, the fuse box itself is tough to access as its wiring does not have much "play." So I intend to splice into one of the easily accessible wires -- but want to be sure of the right one, etc.

Behind my glove box is the following: I have a four-wire bundle (brown, red, blue, yellow) running low from behind the console left-to-right to behind the fuse box, then attaches via a plug to a six-wire bundle (brown, red, blue, yellow, black, green) that runs out in front of the fuse box right-to-left up and behind the console again -- making a crisscrossed loop. The wiring that feeds the fuse box is independent of this four/six-wire bundle.

My question concerns whether or not any of the wires in this bundle can be safely spliced to provide power and ground to my CB? I would guess Red and Black are candidates, but want the advice of this excellent forum before I proceed any further.

Thanks in advance! And Happy New Year!!
  • gman1259gman1259 Member Posts: 209
    I wire my CB under the hoof near the battery. Ask Tom for the photos of how he installed his. He supplied them for me and it work great. It powers right up. :)
    See? I rest my case....3.07? 3.73? Mac24? Mac25? Well, this one is simply explained by a misstroke of the keyboard.

Sorry, Mac"24"! :blush:
    OK, here's the way I hooked mine up. I am no expert on electrical stuff, though.

I was told that a CB needs to be hooked directly to a power source on its own separate wire in order to keep the electrical interference down. Also, I was told that an in-line fuse was a must and that it should be as close to the power source as possible.

So, this is what I did, and it seems to work fine.

Tom

• utahjeeputahjeep Member Posts: 24
    You can generally run a pair of wires straight to the battery through the firewall - making sure to fuse both of them as close to the battery as possible. A CB does not draw as much power as the other radios we have in our project Jeep, but the same principles apply.

Above all, make sure that everything is properly grounded including where you mount the radio and the ground on your antenna mount.

You most likely won't need to go as elaborate as we needed to, but the principles described are the same...

Radio Power Installation

Project Jeep Overview
  • rankinhubrankinhub Member Posts: 19
    Tom--

Thanks for the info, as always. How do you recommend penetrating the firewall to get the power wire to the battery / power distribution box? On my unit, the options are pretty tightly sealed. Did you create a new hole specifically for the CB? Dirk.
    No, no new hole. I just used an existing hole in the firewall that had a rubber grommet to seal the opening. I might have had to cut the grommet a little, but I don't remember having to do that. If I remember right, that hole was near the center of the firewall but a little toward the drivers side.

Tom
    Happy New Years to everyone on this rainy New Year's morning! Hope all of you have survived the festivities and are having a safe holiday.
  • moharamohara Member Posts: 16
    hey guys,

i have reviewed some of the back posts on the 4WD system, but still would like an opinion. this is my first winter with my Wrangler and i am trying to get acquainted with the system. i had a Cherokee years ago so am not a complete novice to 4WD. i understand not to use the 4WD on high traction roads, so i try not to leave it on when it is not needed, but this can mean a lot of off and on, so my question is in the shifting protocol.

the owners manual says the 4H can be engaged at speeds up to 55mph! that makes me nervous. seems like a bad idea to lock axles together going 55. in my Cherokee, i'm pretty sure the 4WD was only to be engaged at low speeds (correct me if i'm wrong.) but what if, say, i'm coming off a highway that is fine for 2WD onto a ramp that has not been plowed? what are some guidelines for healthy shifting in and out of 4H?

also, i notice that sometimes once i disengage the 4WD, it doesnt seem to release immediately. it stays on for a bit and then there is this bang like i hit a water buffalo as it unlocks. i read an archive post about tension in the system that seems to relate to this. how do i avoid this, and how bad is it?

i'm just trying to get a feel for the system and trying to avoid damaging anything. thanks.

michael
  • koolbreeze2koolbreeze2 Member Posts: 252
    I also have the black AR wheels. I love the wheels but the chrome center caps rusted in about 3 months. I mean really rusted. I just ordered stainless center caps from a tire company near my house. Hopefully I will have them on this week. Let me know how yours hold up per the possible rust situation. Go Easy, John
    Michael:

I just leave my Jeep in 2WD in the conditions you describe, intermittent slick spots on a mostly dry road. Just slow down, which you should do anyway, whether in 2WD or 4WD.

I can't imagine a situation where being in 4WD would make it safer to go faster than one would drive in 2WD. (I know you didn't say anything about driving faster, Michael. I just threw this in for no extra charge. :) )

That's my two cents worth.

Tom