Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado Problems

Comments

• tafostertafoster Member Posts: 13
    Have the 5.3L engine with 3.73 differential. Use it to tow a small 2 horse trailer. Actually tows much nicer than my last truck, 77 GMC 454. I do hear a knock or tick when the engine is cold. Actually took it back to the dealer within a couple of months of buying the truck, was told that was a 'normal' sound. Since I had no idea what was normal for this truck (my 454 had started to sound like a disel), just went on my way. Hasn't gotten any noiser over this year, but is definitely there, louder on the passenger side. Will head off to that site and register but what is causing the knock (since I haven't wandered over there yet)?
  • dforhartdforhart Member Posts: 1
    Occasionally (generally in the first 15min of operation) the "check throttle soon" light will come on and the truck will cut out. The injector pump and control module check out fine, I also purchased a code reader and it shows "no codes" even while the light is on and the truck is dead.

the last couple of times when I rapidly pump/kick/thrash the fuel peddle and turn the ignition it restarts. However in the past when this has happened it would not start. At the time it was under warranty (100Kmiles) and the dealer put in a new pump, control module etc. Not really sure if this was the issue as i have had intermittent problems now for 40,000 miles.

On thought is that it might be the fuel peddle sending unit. Does anyone have any ideas
  • rayt2rayt2 Member Posts: 1,208
    Try this discussion board farther on down the pick-ups list or the diesel board
    GMC Sierra/Chevy Silverado 2500 & 3500 - II
    You obviously own a Chevy Diesel, I don't think you'll get the answer here.
  • mledtjemledtje Member Posts: 1,123
    I ran across this in a camping magazine.

3 dealers had looked at this guys 2500 w/6.0 that had what sounded like spark knock when pulling a heavy 5th wheel camper. The faster he went, the louder it got. A dealer in Carson City, Nevada finally diagnosed it, and his home dealer in Georgia fixed it by putting a restriction in the heater hose just before the firewall.

Seems too much water was going through the heater and making noises that sounded just like spark knock on the passenger side. 7000 miles later his noise is still gone.

Mike L
    I have never in all my (30+) years of fixing my own vehicles heard this before. I suppose GM will use this as ammunition in their next TSB to justify the "normal" knock. GM Corporate Scum strike again, it must be getting close for their yearly bonus checks by now.

Check this ABC affiliate news article out...very interesting, this is a first in what I'm sure are more to come, then GM is gonna bite the bullet for sure. How does it go.....pay me now or pay me later! ROFLMAO

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/health/11502_a13_chevy.html

Ray T.

Think I found a TSB on my 1-2 shift problem on alldata. It is 01-07-30-030. Does anyone have the complete TSB so I can see if this is the right one? I'm going back to the dealer next week and would like to say "doesn't this TSB seem like my problem?". Supposedly they already ran a diagnostic on the transmission and there wasn't any problem other than the "1 quart low on fluid".
  • gator36gator36 Member Posts: 294
    Diagnostic Information on Harsh 1-2 Upshift
    2001-2002 Passenger Cars and Light Duty Trucks

with 4L60-E or 4L65-E Automatic Transmission

Recently, a product improvement analysis study was undertaken to determine the causes of harsh 1-2 shift concerns in 2001 model year 4L60-E automatic transmissions.

The product improvement analysis study was completed on transmissions which met the following criteria:

Transmissions with a consistent harsh 1-2 shift were obtained from vehicles in service.
    These transmissions had a consistent harsh 1-2 shift, not an intermittent condition.
    The transmissions had 19,000 km (12,000 mi) or less.
    The consistent harsh 1-2 shift condition was verified during a test drive by dealership personnel, before the transmission was removed.
    The transmissions were disassembled and carefully inspected to identify causes of the harsh 1-2 shift.
    The study pointed out that the following four conditions were found to cause the majority of harsh 1-2 shift comments.

Chips/Sediment/Debris/Contamination found in the valve body, 1-2 accumulator valve (371) bore, may cause the 1-2 accumulator valve to stick or hang-up.

Chips/Sediment/Debris/Contamination found in the valve body, 4-3 sequence valve (383) bore, may cause the 4-3 sequence valve to stick or hang-up.

A cracked 1-2 accumulator piston (56) that is allowing fluid to leak by.

Mislocated/Missing valve body-to-spacer plate check balls (61).
    When attempting to correct a consistent harsh 1-2 shift, the four conditions listed above should be inspected as possible causes. It is important to also refer to the appropriate Service Manual for further possible causes of this condition.

Slipping or Rough 1-2 Shift Checks
    Causes

Valve Body Assembly
    Mislocated valve body to spacer plate checkball or checkballs.
    1-2 Shift valve train stuck due to sediment
    Gaskets or spacer plate incorrect, mispositioned or damaged
    1-2 Accumulator valve stuck or damaged
    Face not flat
    4-3 sequence valve stuck or damaged
    #1 or #8 checkball missing or mis-located
    1-2 accumulator valve bushing rotated 180°

2-4 Servo Assembly
    Apply pin too long or too short
    2nd servo apply piston seal missing, cut or damaged
    Restricted or missing oil passages
    Servo bore in case damaged

2nd Accumulator
    A cracked 1-2 accumulator piston - allowing fluid to leak by
    Porosity in 1-2 accumulator cover or piston
    Piston seal or groove damaged
    Nicks or burrs in 1-2 accumulator housing
    Missing or restricted oil passage
    1-2 accumulator piston spring not seated
    Rough finish in 1-2 accumulator bore in case

2-4 Band
    Worn or mispositioned

Oil Pump Assembly or Case
    Faces not flat
    Humm, since my problem is extremely intermittent, wonder if I will have to wait until it is more consistent before they will do anything? Will slip twice in one day, then not slip for a week or more. It is getting more frequent but sure not consistent. Did it twice a couple of days ago then nothing since.
  • taki3taki3 Member Posts: 18
    Im considering buying a 2002 Silverado with either a 4.8 or 5.3 engine, but am curious if there is still a possibility of having this "dreaded" piston slap problem...From reading some websites, it appears that GM doesnt think theres anything wrong, but are they doing anything to minimize or avoid this piston slap problem?

anybody have any thoughts?
  • bigblackmotorbigblackmotor Member Posts: 11
    They are still delivering slappers in 2002. We are getting quite a few registered (3.1, 4.8, 5.3, 5.7(LS1), 6.0 and 8.1) at the http://www.gmpistonslap.cjb.net web site. For those who are interested in learning more about the "GREAT GM PISTON SLAP FIASCO" or just want to learn about piston slap in general, there is a very informative menu selection titled "What is Piston Slap".

Again, this is for folks who might want to learn more about the issue for whatever reasons. It is also a site where people who have the problem can join in to try to make GM do the right thing by their loyal customers. The site is not intended to take folks who are completely happy with their vehicle (slapping or not) and try to convince them to be unhappy. If you are happy with your vehicle, we are happy for you!...Good luck everybody!

• bpickens1bpickens1 Member Posts: 3
    I recently bought a used 99 5300 silverado, and am experiencing the clunking noise when starting and stopping. At first I thought it was something in the suspension system as it makes a noise also when the rear end sits back down after a stop. I have read about the TSB regarding the "blue" fluid change, but can't see how that would affect this noise, and also others have said it had no effect.
    Does ANYONE know what is causing this noise?? How to fix it??
    Any help would be greatly appreciated....I'm a bit embarassed to have spent this kind of money and have people hear this noise while riding with me.

Thanks for the help.
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    Nickel plated slip yoke might help

If you would like the tsb (with pics) email me at ryanb0928@yahoo.com

I have it in word format
  • pistenuf2gojappistenuf2gojap Member Posts: 4
    Of course, the Dealership says this is a normal condition. Compared mine with new 1500s on lot. They are okay but the SM says it must be once they get some miles on them it becomes a normal condition. I can actually hear a slight popping when rocking steering wheel on shaft. Others out there with this? Other issues to be posted later.
    Updated TSB issued for steering which is to lubricate shaft. Don't know the TSB number or contents, someone else out here should have it to post. The old TSB had dealers replacing steering shaft but no longer applies.

Ray T.
    That TSB was done yesterday. No improvement. Talked to the General Manager and he says I should take it to another dealer and let them find the problem and then he can figure out what the problem is with his dealership. Basically says since I didn't buy from his dealership and I've only spent $30.00 on an oil change there, they don't want to spend anymore of their time looking at it. I'm rapidly becoming less loyal to chevy (GM) with each tick of the clock.
    "I didn't buy from his dealership and I've only spent $30.00 on an oil change there, they don't want to spend anymore of their time looking at it. I'm rapidly becoming less loyal to chevy (GM) with each tick of the clock."

Thats a dealership problem not a problem with gm.
  • jaguar0027jaguar0027 Member Posts: 387
    I too have the same exact problem. As well as a harsh shift between first and second gear. I have complained about this since DAY ONE. Its still not fixed.

They have given me the blue oil, updated the PCM for the trans at least three times, and the nickel plated slip joke.. sorry I meant yoke.

NONE of this has corrected the problem. I am working with GM customer assistance currently with this problem as well as the piston slap.
  • tonyytonyy Member Posts: 26
    I didn't buy from his dealership and I've only spent $30.00 on an oil change there, they don't want to spend anymore of their time looking at it. I'm rapidly becoming less loyal to chevy (GM) with each tick of the clock."

Thats a dealership problem not a problem with gm.

That' a GM problem any way you look at it.
    I bought my truck from a different dealership than i have taken my truck to be serviced. As a matter of fact my moms blazer and dads S-10 were all bought at different dealerships and neither of us have ever been questioned when we take them in. They have been great. I hav probably spent only $300 there (rear diff fluid, alignment, and a few other parts) and they have always corrected any problems i have had.

My suggestion talk with the owner. Explain to him why you go there for service and didnt buy from them. My reason is because their sales staff were a bunch of idiots (seriously one guy didnt know the difference between a bench and a bucket seat).

Anyone else agree with me that its a dealership problem (yes i know gm is to blame for the original problem BUT he is trying to get it fixed and the dealership wont do it)
    Has NO Sense of what it's all about, SERVICE! Report the dealership to GM Customer Service and find another more willing to look into and resolve your WARRANTY issues. Ya know what they say about one bad apple in the bunch, you found one ! Now if you could only be so lucky with the Lottery LOL!

Ray T.
    I dropped a dime on the Dealer. The honey at GM called them while I waited. She returns and I ask what they said they were going to do. She's only says that the dealer gave her some "information". She had also mentioned Dealerships are independently owned and can refuse to service a vehicle. She's going to call me back Friday after doing her "research" and let me know what GM is going to do. If Chevy is anything like Chrysler I know what's going to happen. "Sorry, there's nothing we can do for you about this". I got stuck with a lemon. So far the 4WD transfer case had to rebuilt @ 500 miles, seat track had to be R&R'd new DS Mirror, new sounds out of drive train on decel. It's something new every month. Like A Rock.
    You don't mention in your profile what state your in but I would imagine there is a lemon law you could apply if there is a drivability related issue not being fixed on your new Rado.

Ray T.
  • wtodd2wtodd2 Member Posts: 3
    The yoke/spline problem makes a clunk when starting from a stop. I had transfer case fluid changed and original spline lubed with synthetic grease. Took care of problem for about 4k miles. Then had new yoke installed about 3k miles ago. So far no problem. I have had a 99 5 speed and a 2000 automatic, both have a noise on bumpy roads. It occurs more frequently with weight in truck. I believe it is the leaves of the springs coming together. Mentioned it to dealer, but did not fix.
    they have leaf spring insulators to stop them from slapping together going over bumps
  • awardlawawardlaw Member Posts: 2
    My mother has a 95 chevy, which has had the fuel injectors replaced about 6 times, needed the 7th and could not afford it with only 55,000 miles. The first fuel injector was replaced a 3,152 miles. This last time, the motor was crack and head gasket was blown. The engine was totally removed without consent. They dealership (GM/Chevrolet) has agreed to pay half of the bill to put a new motor in it. Has anyone has had this problem, or know anyone who has. Does any one have any suggestions? Does anyone know a number or address to GM corporate headquarters. Any help is greatly appreciated.
    You gotta do some leg work here....go to GM website, all corporate CEO names and addresses listed there, or go to http://www.gmpistonslap.cjb.net for more useful info and links to info, good luck the GM machine does'nt seem to interested in responding once your warranty has expired.

Ray T.

It's offical. Chevrolet says there is no problem and will do nothing more based on what the dealer told them. Did they really expect the dealership to say " we can't fix it".? After 20 years of being a loyalist, I'm done. In fact I'm going to do something I thought I would NEVER do. I'm going to start buying [non-permissible content removed].I hear the [non-permissible content removed] build good vehicles and stand behind them when they break. So to Chevrolet and GM, You have lost a follower of many years and I shall not weep when you follow the paths of Ford and Chrysler. Now to contact the State Attorney General. This may qualify as breach of contract.
  • ivpushivpush Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2000 silverado that I had "rail dust" buffed off last spring. They reassured me there was no damage or defect in the surface. Well, this spring, my truck is covered with rust specks again. They scrape off with my fingernail fairly easily. Do I have to put up with this forever or is there something GM can/should do? My truck is white so these spots look like *^$#!
    Thank you.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    You could clay your truck. Rail dust has more to do with where the truck is physically than GM. So clay the truck and put on a few good coats of wax.
    Have a '01 4x2 ext 1500. After the last oil change/rotate tire service at the dealer, I started getting an intermittent grating sound/feel in the steering wheel when making left turns. Doesn't happen on every left turn but enough to cause some worry. Went back to the dealer, naturally they said it didn't occur during their test drive. My question is regarding the TSB mentioned about lubing the intermediate steering shaft. What symptoms do you get when this is the problem? Or could it be something with the tires since it occurred after the tires were rotated?
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    is for a clunk in the steering when going over bumps. Nothing mentioned on grinding.
  • jaguar0027jaguar0027 Member Posts: 387
    You beat me to it again!
    Hum... no clunk just the grating feel on turns. Will see if it goes away, maybe something when the tires were rotated, haven't actually noticed it occuring the last couple of days. Have 1000 since the tire rotation.
  • ricschricsch Member Posts: 540
    I agree with obyone. Use a clay bar, such as Meguiars or Mothers and this will clean up the finish. Better than having the finish buffed too. I have a dark carmine truck, which hides the "rail dust" but after going over with the clay, it's smooth like a new vehicle!
  • bamatundrabamatundra Member Posts: 1,583
    It seems that knocking engines is a big problem with GM. They are refusing to repair them. Does this mean that new car and truck buyers can expect their GM trucks to knock, and not have GM do anything about it?

If this behaviour is normal - why don't they all do it?
  • kcowboykcowboy Member Posts: 33
    Where did gm go wrong, why can't they make a new truck without so many problems. Do they think the "big bad bowtie" thing are "like a rock" is all they need to sell a inferior product are is it just complacency in the factory.
  • greyfox99greyfox99 Member Posts: 5
    99-04-21-002 APR 99 Four Wheel Drive Inoperative

I would like to hear more about this, today I put my 99 z-71 in 4WD and it was having difficulty, light would go on for a second (going into 4H)then it would go out, finally got it to stay (then back to 2WD) and now the "Service 4WD" is appearing in message center and it will not go in at all, will not go in the Auto 4WD either.

Truck only has 40K, and has spent very litte time in 4WD.

Any info on the above TSB or info on similar problems and resolution is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance,
    Jody
    Buyer beware!

GM is now saying now that knocking engines are "normal". This means that any new new truck buyer stands a good chance of buying a truck that sounds like a paint shaker. When the new truck buyer brings their paint shaker in for repair - GM will tell them that it is "normal" for new truck engines to knock, and that they should buy earplugs.

If it is "normal" for new GM engines to knock - Why don't they all do it?

It is too bad that GM evidently cannot consistently manufacture "full size" pickups that don't knock. Many truck buyers shun diesels because they have too much engine noise. GM says engine noise (up to paint shaker status) is normal!!!!

Ford had a manufacturing defect a few years ago that caused knocking. They hid their heads in the sand for two years claiming that it was "normal". Eventually, they relented and honored their warranty. Why won't GM do the same?(without waiting two years) and pissing off all of their current loyal truck buyers.
  • sonjaabsonjaab Member Posts: 1,057
    GO over to that "other site". Seems the
    I-force toyota engine has knocking
    problems too.....
    What about the sludge issue toy denied !
    Been reading about the toyota dealers
    attitude is in denial like GM......
  • tomh12tomh12 Member Posts: 240
    If you say that the "Toyota Tundra Problems" topic is for Tundra owners, as you did in this post............

#1136 of 1136 Get it back on track guys... by pf_flyer HOST May 13, 2002 (04:22 am)
    A point well taken. The point of the topic is to have a place for Tundra owners to discuss and share information on problems that they may be having with their vehicles. Hopefully the information will be helpful. Flaming each other and each other's choice of trucks is NOT.

This nonsense of trying to prove that one brand is better than the other by taking shots at each other is WAY past old and needs to stop.

PF Flyer

Host.........

Shouldn't you be telling Bamatundra and the other Tundra owners who come in here posting the same redundant post 10 or 15 times that this topic is for Chevy/GM owners to post and discuss their problems??????
    I think you should be consistent don't you?
    Bamatundra has posted the same garbage in this topic and other GM related sites at least 15 times.
    Might as well shut this topic down, as there is nothing but Tundra trolls posting to flame GM.
    Tom
    You might check your misinformation. This is the first time that I posted about GM engine knock to this topic. I made no mention of Tundras - You did!

Are you feeling just a little insecure about your knocker?
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    Are you feeling just a little insecure about your LEMON?

http://www.lemonlaw.com/lemonlist.html

Call now! 1-800-LEMON-LAW

The services are free. You have nothing to lose except your LEMON!
    Been on the old "DELETE" button again????

I'm not the one posting misinformation. I just feel sorry for you disgruntled import buyers who settled for less than full sized trucks.
    Tom
    Seems like you two want to keep changing the subject. I know it is very painful for both of you, but the topic is not Tundras, it is knocking Chevies.

I admit that I am surprised to see Quad post to a Chev topic - he is usually lurking in Tundra topics posting how HUGE his truck is. That's funny - Tom is also bragging about how HUGE his truck is. Oh well.

Now - back on the subject. Do you think that Chev will ever repair the knockers or will they just cut their loyal customers loose? Do you think that someone who bought a knocker will ever buy another GM vehicle?

GM's short term money saving decision could cost them in the long run.
    I believe your statement in post #2142 is:

"You might check your misinformation. This is the first time I posted about GM engine knock to this topic."

Well, what do you have to say about this little statement you made?????..........

"1569 of 2145 abottorff by bamatundra Nov 22, 2001 (12:03 pm)
    "I noticed while trying to track down my pinging problem (#1533) that my throtle seems to stick if you hold it at fast idle 1500rpm then realease or quickly press the throtle down and release it seems to take a few seconds to come back down to normal idle (500 or so) is this normal?"

Unfortunately, you will find that GM says that ANY problem they can't fix cheaply is "NORMAL" . This includes excessive oil consumption and engine knocking.

My advice: Trade it in on a Tundra soon."

......Can your credibility get any LOWER?????

LOL
    Tom
    Let's check the old credibility here, OK?......

You said your post 2139 was the first time you had posted about the GM engine knock in this topic.

BUT......

We have proof you posted about this in post# 1569, post #2136, AND post #2139. How embarrassing this must be to you!!! Would you like to apologize for saying I provided misinformation???
    Tom
  • bpickens1bpickens1 Member Posts: 3
    In response to post 2131....I was driving down from the mountains this weekend and while on very twisty roads I noticed (for the first time ever) on a few left hand turns I could hear and feel and grating noise coming from the right front tire area. It kinda sounded like the tire was rubbing something. Have never heard it before and it only happen a few times, but fairly loud.
    Have no idea what it was, and haven't had a chance to look at it yet.
    Anyone else ever deal with this?
    Aren't you being just a little bit of a hypocrite? This is the tally of unfortunate GM owners posting to the Tundra problems topic since the 1st of May (13 days):

Quad - 20
    Truthteller(sic)- 3
    Sonja - 20
    KG11 - 7
    Oby - 6
    Tom - 7

63 posts in the last 13 days - and Tom is whining about three of my posts in the last 6 months!!! LMFAO!
    Calling me names does not give you your credibility back.....sad, but TRUE!

You are calling me a hypocrite??? When you can't refute the facts, attack the the one who posts them???

I apologize to all the Chevy owners who came to this topic to discuss their problems, for ruining so much good "white space" with proving what we already knew.....Your posts are tripe, and are not to be believed.
    I'll not respond to any more of your worthless drivel.
    Tom
    I'm not calling you names. I am just stating a fact. 63 posts from GM owners in the last 13 days to a Tundra topic! Don't you think that certain GM owners are just a little insecure? Quad and Sonja have 40 posts between them to just the Tundra problems topic.

How many posts have Quad and Sonja posted to the Silverado problems topic in the same time period? See what I mean - there are a few misguided Chev owners that inhabit any Tundra topic. They seem to prefer posting to Tundra topics rather than GM topics. I cannot understand this.

Could it be Tundra envy?
This discussion has been closed.