Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado Problems

Comments

• careyacecareyace Member Posts: 44
    Anyone had a problem with the security light coming on at odd times like when your driving down the road? mine did,its the first problem I've had since I bought it over a year ago.
    the problem gave a code of b2960. In English that means the trucks computer thinks it is be stolen. They replaced three parts that have to do with the passlock system. The tech. told me that temp. changes can make this happen. The worst thing that can happen is the truck wont start,the passlock shuts off the injectors.So wait 5 minutes and try again as it should reset itself.
    Andrew
  • trucks4me2trucks4me2 Member Posts: 31
    I too have the same squeak. It started last week and I haven't had a chance to look for it much. I have a 2001 2500HD and I think it is around the area of where the hard plastic near my seat controls meets the fabric. Post any answers you find.

Stan
  • ricobeachricobeach Member Posts: 29
    I also had a similar seat squeak. The service dept. did a similar repair to mine (replaced the riser). I was very skeptical but so far it has worked. I have the bench seat configuration and have been "squeak free" for about 8 months now. Keep after your service deptartment. If other attempts fail, start requesting an entire new seat. That is what I initially asked for when I started complaining about the squeak.

Good luck with squeak. I know it is annoying but at least it is fixable problem.

Rico
  • xbbusterxbbuster Member Posts: 145
    In response to your post #317, I took the truck back to the original selling dealer trying to get another repair attempt for the 30-45 mph vibration. They have a different service mgr. from when I bought it last June. I told him what another Chevy dealer told me two weeks ago about "slightly bent" wheels. He took it for a test drive with me and confirmed the steering wheel and seat vibration. He called it severe vibration. The next day he calls and said the wheels are OK but they're going to order a new front drive shaft. A one piece shaft not necessary. We'll see. As far as the lemon lawyer, must not be enough easy money in it for him. Forget it. If this drive shaft fix isn't the cure, FOR SALE! I'll be in the market for a five or six year old pick-up. At least then I'll get what I pay for. And I still wouldn't use 2/$5 Fram oil filters!!
  • jed1894jed1894 Member Posts: 337
    After reading some post on this site as well as others, I decided to break out the can of WD-40. I rolled the seat forward and pushed the seat back forward and sprayed everything I could reach under the seat and from the side of the seat. It stopped the squeak for now....time will tell I guess. ....... Compared to my other troubles with GM, this is not an issue. I believe the dealer would gladly replace my seat if I ask the right way. They run the other way when I drive up now....LOL......

By-the-way....those of you with the sticky throttle problem (throttle body), you might want to double check and make sure it's fixed before your warrant expires. The throttle body was replaced on my truck somewhere around 20k miles and I had to have replaced again at 35,500 miles the other day. They also replaced a portion of my steering shaft. I noticed a little play in the shaft and service manager replaced a portion (upper portion I think). ......

John
  • birdog4birdog4 Member Posts: 1
    I am interested in purchasing a new 2001 cc silverado 2500HD 4x4 lwb with an 8.1 engine and allison trans. I would like to know what to expect for gas mileage for city/highway driving and also towing. Thanks for the help.
  • silverbsilverb Member Posts: 6
    Can anyone tell me what is TSB. And where can I find that information. I am thinking about buying a Silverado 1500 but reading all the information her I am getting a little scared and I am trying to get all information I can before I make a decision.
  • dch0300dch0300 Member Posts: 472
    To help ease your mind on a new Silverado 1500, I bought my 2001 Silverado LS 1500, ext-cab, Z-71, 5.3L, auto, lock diff, tow pkg, etc back on Dec 19th 2000. The truck was born on Dec 6th, 2000 at the Ft. Wayne assembly plant.
    To date I have 2385 miles on it and I have not had one single problem with it what-so-ever! No rattles, no wind noise, no shakes, no clunks, no squeaks, no engine noises when cold, no transmission slipping, no spring sagging, no little or big problems at all.
    I've added some accessories (nerf bars, bug guard, better carpet), and I changed the oil and filter at 1,000 miles and then will do it again every 3,000 miles. It has plenty of power, and I get on average, with 50% city and 50% highway driving, 16.7 mpg. I can seat 4 adults and 2 children with booster seats in it very comfortably and after a 100 mile trip, everyone still felt great.
    No regrets on buying my truck.

-David
  • blacksilverblacksilver Member Posts: 69
    There are a handful of folks who have problems with their vehicle. They (rightfully) are P.O.'d and aren't bashful about airing their gripes.

Then there is the vast majority of folks who do not have problems with their vehicle. That's what they expected, so it's not remarkable, and consequently they don't say anything about it.

I have a 2001 Silverado 1500 LT Ext. Cab 5.3L with Z72 and a couple of other packages whose letters I can't remember. Born in September of last year, delivered early October. Around 6,500 miles so far. I'm 60 years old, picky, crotchety, and hard to please, and this is my 14th new vehicle. The truck doesn't shake, clunk, sag, rattle, ping, or whistle at all. It is flawless, and I love everything about it.

Hans
  • jrohr1jrohr1 Member Posts: 11
    I thought I had bought a quality truck at first just like everyone else with only 2000 miles on it !! What I didn't know at the time is that I bought JUNK.
    The main problem is the cold knocking prob. First they said it was the OIL FILTER, then they recarbonized the pistons. The noise came back about 3000 miles later. Then they said it was the type of fuel I use, and they once again decarbonized the pistons. Then I contacted the B.B.B NOW, after filing a claim, the chevy rep. says

"THE WRONG SIZE PISTONS ARE IN MY ENGINE"

They ofered to fix the prob. and give me a warrenty to 100000 miles. ( zero ded. )
    or
    buy it back
    or
    let me pick out another vehicle .

call the B.B.B. people, don't let them B.S. you !!!!!!

The other problems I've had are: doors don't close in cold weather
    steering shaft prob.
    pinion seal replaced
    driveline noise ( they replaced transfer case oil............)

GOOD LUCK>
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Will it ever end? LMAO!!

I have squeaky driver's side bucket. They have tried to fix it by sending to an upholstery shop. Twice in fact. Now the seat is all distorted and have a new one on order. I told them to do that in the first place. Ahhh, what do we consumers know anyway. Plus its another thing for them to do while changing by throttle body anyway.

Knocking engine may be resolved by changing the cam to a more aggressive one along with new pistons. Should give about a 30-40 hp increase. Don't forget to have the motor balanced while you're at it.
  • noobie1noobie1 Member Posts: 326
    Today, after months of careful research and shopping, this meticulous 61 year old ordered an '01' Silverado, 8.1/Allison, Ext. Cab, LT, LB, 4WD, with every available option. I don't do this often. In fact, I haven't bought a new vehicle since 1962 (Austin Healy Sprite). Your cogent comments are a great encouragement. Thanks.

Now the wait!

Dave
  • mwillemwille Member Posts: 15
    first time here. have a 2000 -cab 2500LS 4X4 long bed 29K I am now on my second set of tires (freestone steeltex) and need replacing soon . the rear tire wear down evenly. the dealer has checked the trucks alignment and said everything is within spec.I measured from the axle housing to the lelfspring bolt and got a difference of 1/4" dealer still says everything to sped. I don't like the thought of putting tires on this $30k truck every 15k miles any help out there? PS. also had steering shaft replaced,front axle nut came loose (replaced new nut),engine ticks,has a shutter at 75-85 mph.
  • mwillemwille Member Posts: 15
    first time here. have a 2000 X-cab 2500LS 4X4 long bed 29K I am now on my second set of tires (firestone steeltex) and need replacing soon . the rear tire wear down evenly. the dealer has checked the trucks alignment and said everything is within spec.I measured from the axle housing to the lelfspring bolt and got a difference of 1/4" dealer still says everything to spec. I don't like the thought of putting tires on this $30k truck every 15k miles any help out there? PS. also had steering shaft replaced,front axle nut came loose (replaced new nut),engine ticks,has a shutter at 75-85 mph.
  • 64roadster64roadster Member Posts: 19
    Just purchased my new 2001 2 WD 1500 LS extended cab with 4.8L, Auto Trans and locking 3.73 differential. I have faithfully read these and other posts over the last 3 months prior to buying my new truck. There were several exchanges dealing with Silverado "Sag".
    Thinking I would avoid problems up front, I checked my truck out before taking ownership and found it to sit half an inch higher on the right. I was prepared to kill the deal, but after measuring the other 15 similar trucks sitting on the lot, I found 90% of them to be off > half an inch also. In fact there were 2 with > one inch of difference. Most of the trucks were higher on the right but not always. So I purchased the truck anyway and had my concerns/findings written up in order to make sure it was covered in the warranty.
    My question is: Does this problem correct over time? and if so, how many miles should I wait before having the dealer correct the problem? What type of corrections have worked and not worked? The dealer's suspension guy looked mine over before I bought it and said he would place a stiffer coil spring on the front driver's side if he were to fix it now.
  • brimc1brimc1 Member Posts: 6
    Hi Group,
    My 2000 chewy, silver ado,4x4,ext.cab,with the 5.3 engine is going into the shop next week and
    I would like to see if anyone has solved a couple of problems with their own truck.
    The first is at idle the engine idles real rough. mean to the point I would say it is bouncing.
    The second is at low speeds a flunk or bang felt thou the steering wheel while the wheel is turned.
    The third is a squeak followed by a bang while accelerating. The noise sounds like it is coming from the rear end.
    The truck is having the launch shudder fix done. Replacing the drive shaft.
    Any info would be helpful. Thank you, Brian
  • jed1894jed1894 Member Posts: 337
    Regarding your tire wear, something is wrong! I've had the same tires (Goodyears) and now have 35,600 miles on my truck. My tires still have tread wear and I plan to use them for about another 10,000 miles...... Sorry I don't have an answer, but I do have one suggestion:

Take your truck to someone who knows what they're talking about. Most GM dealers, if not all, don't know S#@! about tires! I experienced a tire and warped rim problem with my dealer and it was never figured out until I went to a tire shop. If you raise hell, GM will pay for the cost, or at least they did for me. Keep all your records and file claim with BBB and GM 800 number if you have not already.

Good luck

JOhn
  • bugsplatbugsplat Member Posts: 30
    I have the 2001 1500 Xcab, V-6, SB, auto, and have the same vibration as mentioned in Post #2010 on the Silverado XVIII site. Always at 1100 rpm, light engine load condition, doesn't matter what speed/gear. Just took an extensive ride with the service tech and he indicated it felt like the "harmonic balancer" in the engine may be a little off in certain conditions, causing the slight engine vibration. Indicated he could "disable" the balancer, or try to adjust, but usually that would result in the engine having a slight vibration at some other RPM, usually at idle. He said the the current vibration, nor the disabling of the balancer should have any impact on the longevity of the engine. His recommendation was to keep driving and see if it got better/worse and come back in. Really seemed like the guy was being pretty straight with me, but most BS artists appear that way or they wouldn't be sucessful would they. I only have 2600 miles on it, so have plenty or warranty period left to "wait and see". Any advice??
  • ness5575ness5575 Member Posts: 29
    first of all, in response to #417, i had a bout with rough idle on my 200, 4X4, 5.3L. i had the rough idle and the "service engine soon" light flashing at me. turns out that i had clogged fuel injectors due to a "bad tank of gas". the first dealership wanted to charge me $500 to rinse out the whole system. a second dealership fixed it no questions asked. also, i am taking mine in this week too for the steering clunk and the acceleration bang - there are technical service bullitens for each.

My question. I have 33k miles on my truck and have been looking for extended warranties. Most of the ones i have been looking at will run me between $1100-1300 for 100K bumper to bumper. For the people that have silverado's with higher miles, what kind of problems have you had? Is it worth spending the money to be protected, or will i be throwing money away??
  • dustyonedustyone Member Posts: 262
    I feel sad for those that did not get the perfect truck or at least one without major problems. These people are disgusted and rightfully so; however, there are many who did get one built right.
    I have one of the first 4dr ext cab '00 Silverados made on Feb 10, 2000. It is a 1500, 5.3 liter, Z71, locking diff, 3.73 rear, LT with all the goodies (except flares which were on constraint when I ordered). No squeaks, rattles or any complaints of any kind. This truck was made for driving and hauling anything one wants.The truck had a rough idle from the first day and the dealer said that they all do it. At approx 5000 miles the service engine soon light came on. The dealer replaced number 7 & 8 spark plug (the platinum tip were missing, defective? There is a TSB on this, search for rough idle on this board and the GM site). No rough idle in the additional 5000 miles.
    Love my truck (but would not have a tag or plate stating such). I have added Flowmaster 70 series dual side exit exhausts (thanks again for the help Blackmax2000), Westin platinum CPS nerf bars( thanks BCO), Michelin LTX A/T 265x70R16 tires to replace the deathstones (anyone interested in a set of tires with 5000 miles at a good price FOB Marietta, GA), and have a set of white OEM flares on order from GM (for the dealers price). I have the WeatherTech front side vent visors on order. I had the dealer to add a Penaliner SRS bedliner with GM rail caps and Putco Locker side rails.
    If you decide to get a Chevy, I hope you get one as good as mine. Good Luck
    Fred
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    shipping point or destination?

haha

accounting class coming in handy i can see
    Education are wonderful.
  • themailman1themailman1 Member Posts: 95
    The weathertech visors, let me know how they are. They are supposed to snap in the window channel. Also, what kind of bug deflector do you have? I don't want one with the small bumpers you have to put on your hood.
  • xbbusterxbbuster Member Posts: 145
    It may not matter what engine you have. I have a V-8 and it also has the vibration that comes and goes with the MPH. This vibration does have one thing in common, two wheel drive with rack and pinion steering. When I first took mine back to the dealer he also told me to drive it a thousand miles or so, maybe it would go away. Looking back, what he told was just to get me to rack up the miles. He said the vibration was caused by the truck being tied down too tight on the carrier trailer. A BS artist.
  • erikheikererikheiker Member Posts: 230
    Where did the tips go? I'd hate to think they're in the cylinder chamber causing damage.
    I don't need a bug deflector since we don't have bugs in GA. LOL Really, I have not figured out what they are for. If the paint get damaged, I'll have the vehicle repainted.

erikheiker : Good question about the tips. They probably have melted and coated the piston heads. Will I get more mileage out of the engine this way? How about coating the rest of the pistons. Hey, I have platinum plated nerf bars.... :)
  • drgene78drgene78 Member Posts: 3
    Hello,

Second post here. My wife and I test drove a 2001 Silverodo 1500HD AS 4WD with a crew cab this weekend. I don't really want a 4WD car like all these guppies here in Massachusetts who think that they need a 4 ID to get to the grocery store. After driving it at the dealer, we came home and I called around to see if there were any other Chevy dealer that had a 2 D. One dealer told me that there was no such thing as a 1500HD. I called back the dealer where I test drove and asked him if it was a 2002 and he said "nope, 2001". He then said that I would have a hard time finding another one around here. bosh! how am I going to get a good deal on this one. Anyone know what is up with these 1500HDs? Are they a mid year model?

Thanks

on
  • drgene78drgene78 Member Posts: 3
    Town Hall Pickups Chevy Silverado Problems
    Welcome drgene78 [Preferences] [My Profile] [Logout]

Chevy Silverado Problems
    428 messages,Last post on Apr 02, 2001 at 05:53 PM

Here are some of our archived Silverado problem discussions that you may find helpful:
    Chevy Silverado Vibration III, 1999 Silverado 5.3 knock, and
    Vibrating Chevy Silverado Buyback discussion.

Please post your Chevy Silverado problems/messages below. Thanks for your participation.

Msg#

[beginning of discussion][scroll up 20 messages] (426 previous messages)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#427 of 428 of 426 #421 by themailman1 by dustyone Apr 02, 2001 (11:50 am)
    I don't need a bug deflector since we don't have bugs in GA. LOL Really, I have not figured out what they are for. If the paint get damaged, I'll have the vehicle repainted.

erikheiker : Good question about the tips. They probably have melted and coated the piston heads. Will I get more mileage out of the engine this way? How about coating the rest of the pistons. Hey, I have platinum plated nerf bars.... :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    #428 of 428 Silverodo 1500HD by drgene78 Apr 02, 2001 (05:53 pm)\
    That spell checker is nasty, didn't know it would automatically correct the words it thought was wrong. Here it is again, sorry

Hello,

Second post here. My wife and I test drove a 2001 Silverodo 1500HD LS 4WD with a crew cab this weekend. I don't really want a 4WD car like all these guppies here in Massachusetts who think that they need a 4 WD to get to the grocery store. After driving it at the dealer, we came home and I called around to see if there were any other Chevy dealer that had a 2 WD. One dealer told me that there was no such thing as a 1500HD. I called back the dealer where I test drove and asked him if it was a 2002 and he said "nope, 2001". He then said that I would have a hard time finding another one around here. gosh! how am I going to get a good deal on this one. Anyone know what is up with these 1500HDs? Are they a mid year model?

Thanks

Ron
  • vobrovobro Member Posts: 2
    I as a union member have been told since the start to support your fellow union brothers by buying there product. I have for the most part bought union made first American made second then when forced I have bought the finest 3rd world country product I have could find. After reading all 428 posts I have to say that I am in total shock for what seems to be a total lack of support from Chevy. I have a Ram and have had so many problems and have been fed the same line of B.S. that you all claim to have been so much so that I am wondering is their a school or some type of gathering place that these service managers and area rep's go to because it all sounds the same if not word for word. In this day and age where most people are somewhat educated it is suprising to me that these people still play us for fools. Maybe with the internet where the "word" spreads around so fast these people would realize sooner or later to be honest and straightforward, in my case I finally got my service manager to admit " I do not know or do I have an answer for you truck needing 7 sets of rotors in 14,000 miles" and believe it or not I appreciated that. I was very much considering buying a Sierra 1500 Z-71 but after reading all the posts I will be returning back to Ford not so much because of the problems but the general response from GM. I urge all of you with continuing problems to call the BBB in my case calm and constant pressure fixed my problems. I hope Chevy will wake up and realize whom their customers are because the question I have "24-7-365 We Will Be There" is that the punchline.
  • goosecop1goosecop1 Member Posts: 5
    I to thought my 2000 Silverado 1500 ext Z71 LT 4x4 was great, until I had about 15,000 miles on it. Then the rear-end clunk began, along with the clanking when you shift from neutral to reverse. The dealer says this is "normal", all the Silverados get it once they have the same mileage that I do. Nothing they can do at this point, the one TSB for the blue fluid was done to no avail...didn't make any difference. Also had the clunk in my steering column at about 12k, they couldn't duplicate the sound. But when I showed them the TSB on the correction to the shaft they did it and that took care of the thumping coming from the steering column. Then my doors starting being difficult and wouldn't close, I had to hand the service manager the TSB I got off-line from someone here at edmunds.com. They fixed the closing, now the problem is wind noise. Plus, now I'm starting to get some shimmy in the front end, with the steering wheel shake (22,000 miles). Also, have a loud squeak in the right front dash that sounds like its coming from the heater fan. Had it in three times, each time they told me it was fixed...wrong. They don't live on a gravel road, it's very irratating. I really wouldn't suggest a Silverado until they clean up their act. I'll be filing with the BBB soon, if the dealer doesn't correct these flaw on the next trip in. If anything, I'll be looking for the old body style Suburban in a 2500 4x4 diesel. My last truck ran perfectly. No problems, no squeaks, no headaches.
  • minikinminikin Member Posts: 389
    Answer to -- ""Is there a web site that has a cross reference chart for oil filters? The one at walmart for the farm filter showed ph3675 for my truck, but I thought I saw that one matched the ac pf58. What is the deference from pf58 and pf59?""

The PH3675 is Fram's disfunctional version of the the AC-Delco PF58. Do not use it! Nor, sadly, should you be using anything else Fram makes these days unless you have an overwhelming desire to be one of the folks posting here about oil consumption or blown engines. The PF58 itself is a short, cheap version of the PF59. I would strongly suggest not using anything but the PF59, its Ulta-Guard version, or one of the premium filters built by Champion under several names including MOBIL-1
    -- Don
  • chevy4mechevy4me Member Posts: 203
    I'll have to remove the Fram and keep the Mobil 1 oil ,I just couldn't find the pf59 anywhere. I had the same trouble last change and used the Purolator . I had to buy the first four filters (pf59)at the dealer.
  • jbean220jbean220 Member Posts: 2
    Does any one know of who makes a set of frame tie downs to hold my new camper on a 2500HD 4x4.
  • xyz71xyz71 Member Posts: 179
    You need to remove the plastic cover - it is right under the dash - right above your feet if you sit on the pasanger side. Two of the bolts are easy (4MM I think) the third is right above the tranny hump - what a pain - You can not even see the bolt head - the only way I could get a wrench on it was to take a 3/8 inch ratchet - put a 3/8 to 1/4 reducer on it - then put the 4 mm socket on it. Some people say you don't need to remove the third bolt - that you can just bend the cover over and get to the filter after removing the two easy bolts.

One more thing - once you get the cover removed and get to the filter - there are two of them. One is easy to see- remove the first one and then reach up and you will feel the second filter.

Good luck - the first time it is hard -second time you will feel like a pro!!
  • minikinminikin Member Posts: 389
    Agree with you, PF59s seem to be hard to come by. Would be nice if AC-Delco let you order direct off their web site, but as far as I know they won't. K-Mart, Pep Boys, and AutoZone are retailers but I haven't been able to find one in the local K-Mart for awhile; they aren't even carrying the number on the shelf at the moment. I found exactly one in four trips to Pep Boys over about two month's time. I had to use a UPF-59 the last time I changed oil, the AC Ultraguard Gold version; significantly more @ $8.99, but a good filter.
    The Mobil-1 filter has a good rep, and the one place I know of that's opened one up was impressed with what they found inside. M1-206 is the part number for the 4.8/5.3/6.0 V-8s. It's pricy @ about $10 retail, but you can order from Mobil-1's website if you need to; and, hey, what's an extra 5 or 6 bucks every few thousand miles anyway. At least you'll know the anti-drain back valve works and you're not taking the chance of having unfiltered oil, glue, cardboard, and torn up filter material, floating around in your engine like with the Fram.
    I realize I sound seriously anti-Fram but there's a reason; bad faith if nothing else. I used their stuff for years back when they made a great filter, probably the best on the market. I missed the point when Allied-Signal turned them into well disguised junk and didn't realize until I cut a couple open after hearing too many negative comments just what I'd been using. I also suspect they may have been at least partly responsible for the sudden, significantly increased oil consumption in one of my engines a couple of years back.
    I know pulling a filter off an engine when it's not time for an oil change is a pain. But if you have an extra $3, a hacksaw, and a spare 30 minutes, I'd suggest cutting one of those PH3675's open for a look at what's inside.
    -- Don
  • fishngolffishngolf Member Posts: 4
    Anyone know who makes the oil filter for the 1500 silverado 5300 that the chevy service department uses.
    Blue PF59 AC Delco or at least thats what they better be using
    Yep if you can find them blue ones on sale a KMart, they usually go for 2/$5....those expensive filters for them expensive trucks....
    oil filter could be a problem as its under the Silverado problems topic....

Yo' Pf_flyer. You out there?

Maybe you could do a topic name change/consolidation....to Chevy Silverado/GMC Sierra Problems. Basically the same trucks with the same TSB's only the GMC being the uglier of the two.....just an idea. Also that GMC owners topic....sure looks a desert there, not much to archive on that one.

Good luck on this one now!!
  • tomh12tomh12 Member Posts: 240
    Don't be messin' with them GMC ones, now. Tryin'to "cross breed" 'em with them lesser Chevy ones now. Them GMC owners want their "professional grade" ones to stay pure as fox squirrels on a field edge now. Why, even GM brings in that special crew of "Professional" people to build them "Professional Grade" ones. Them GMC owners ain't talkin' much cause they ain't havin' no problems now. What else could it be now?

LOL

Tom
    That grill oh man. Poor truck was beat with an ugly stick.

hahahaha

(that was a joke everyone)

Not talking cause they arent having problems? Maybe everyone owns a chevy???
    And all this time, I thought there were no GMC owners posting cause they didn't learn how to type.... ;-)
  • silverbsilverb Member Posts: 6
    No one explain TSB for me. Please let me know about TSB and what is the purpose.
    TSB is a Technical Service Bulletin that is issued by the auto manufacturer to the servicing dealer to aid them in servicing the vehicle. Could be anything from new transmission settings to new recommended tire pressure and not necessarily be related to problems.
  • cabhoppcabhopp Member Posts: 2
    Can air conditioning be added to a stripped 2000 Extended cab 4.8L 4x4 for a reasonable cost; or is it cheaper to just trade it in on a new one with A/C.
  • hunter98hunter98 Member Posts: 273
    I too have one of the first 4 dr trucks. Mine is a Feb 2000 GMC EXT CAB 1500 SLT 4x4. Pretty well loaded. The rear doors are fine. No wind noise, have to shut firmly when cold. The gas milage on my early 99 was about 2 mpg better. I guess that 15 hp improvement for 2000 cost some gas. At 5000 miles the accumulator piston blew out the side of the transmission on the 2000. New tranny needless to say. Since then been flawless, except for the 12-14 mpg. Got 13.5 on a 500 mile trip empty at 70. Have michelin ltx at 265x75R16 and love those tires. With 20k on the truck, still like new for tread. The $340 GM Firestones on my 99 at 20K when I traded were wore out and had maybee 6/32 of tread left. Not near enough for my tastes. And actually less than that in the middle, I ran 35 psi as reccomended on them. Run about 45 with the michelins.

Best of Luck

Hunter, I guess our trucks are stablemates, mine was made in Indiana

Hunter
  • lst515lst515 Member Posts: 2
    Can my 99 silverado xc 4wd 1500 4.8 engine be upgraded to the 270 hp specs found on the 2000 model. Or, put another way, what changes were made in 2000 to increase the hp from 255 to 270.
  • lst515lst515 Member Posts: 2
    I'm sure this is old news but if anyone with a factory installed sliding back window in the 99-00 silverado's has any leaks near the back window, look for a crack in the plastic outer frame along the top and around the upper corners. The recall allows for a whole new replacement under warranty. Seems they are using aftermarket replacements as the OE breaks again soon after.
    Change in cam specs.
This discussion has been closed.