Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• goducks1goducks1 Member Posts: 432
    Nauset, you will get quoted between $300-$400 in labor from most shops. Mechanically, it's not an especially difficult task, just labor-intensive because you need to remove the serpentine, pull the power steering pump out of the way, and unbolt the air intake and old manifold (they use the same bolts as I am sure you've noticed). Put the new manifold on and then reverse the steps. I am not as mechanically adept as Mac, my expertise is pretty much limited to basic maintainence, but I could have done it with help I am sure though it would have taken awhile. There's a great step-by-step somewhere online with pics but I can't find it right now. Instead, I put up an ad on Craigslist's "services" section. Got multiple replies and found a guy who worked out of his garage near here and had done it on his wife's Grand Cherokee already. He did an outstanding job for $160 which was well worth the money.

The danger of someone doing it in their garage is if one of the studs breaks in the engine block. Didn't happen to me, but it is possible.
  • mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    I'm not surprised that mechanics don't want to quote you a fixed cost - I understand the bolts can be a really difficult, so they don't always know how long it will take them (depends on how many break). When I got it replaced on my '98 Sport, I was quoted around $1000 by several people, and ended up getting a reputable (suggested by several garages that didn't do manifolds) garage to do it for $800, parts included (he bought the Mopar replacement one).
  • nausetnauset Member Posts: 2
    Thanks guys. I found one mechanic so far that quoted me $300 for the labor (I supply the part), which sounds very reasonable. His shop specializes in off-road cars/trucks, so I think he should be good. I found that link online for the step-by-step, but I don't have the tools or the time unfortunately. Here it is though for anyone looking: http://www.jeepingsingles.net/tech/manifold_p.asp
    Thanks again.
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    I'd estimate around four hours labor, so $300 doesn't sound unreasonable. As mentioned earlier it's not a technically difficult job, so if the shop is competent you shouldn't have any problems.

I know it must seem like I'm here 24/7, but I do get a little time off occasionally for good behavior! :shades:
  • gman1259gman1259 Member Posts: 209
    "I have also read how they're not great on the snow."

I hope this is not true...I purchased a set of five for Elliemae because I am building a home in the mountains. It will suck if I put these tires on just to learn they cannot handle the snow. :(
    It will suck if I put these tires on just to learn they cannot handle the snow.

I'm sure you'll report back on your experience, but I doubt that you'll be unhappy. I haven't personally used MT/Rs on snow but I've heard great reports of them on other vehicles.

Don't forget that snow, like sand, comes in many different types. Sometimes you'll need low tire pressure to try to spread the load and float on top, other times you'll need to punch through for better grip.
    Yes, that's the link. If you are buying the manifold from 1aautomotive I can vouch that mine has held up just fine for the past 6 months. Way quieter too, plus noticable increases in HP and MPG. One nice thing for whoever does this is the ton of room in the Wrangler engine bay. Friend of mine was over here this weekend with his new Mini S. Nice little car but I cannot imagine ever working on it. It's a miracle they could fit a supercharger under that hood.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Don't forget about the Jeep Wrangler: Problems and Solutions discussion (someone needs some tips in there if you get my drift ;) )

Steve, Host
    I didn't even know that forum existed! :confuse:

I've made a couple of posts, but if it's used correctly it will probably halve the number of posts here (or is that the idea?).
    Well, there are a lot of posts in here but the search tool works pretty good. I think some members just wanted a more focused discussion and that's fine too. One more discussion to track shouldn't be too much of a hardship for a 24/7 guy like you Mac! :shades:

Steve, Host
  • drewmeisterdrewmeister Member Posts: 168
    All,
    I've got a Wrangler with a rattle. This, in itself, is not unexpected, except I'm now getting to my wit's end with it (which is not far, granted).

It sounds like something against the firewall. I have removed the center of the dash pretty much (to install a PIE adapter for the ipod, which sounds FANTASTIC by the way) and I didn't get any closer to it. It sounded like I'd have to dig quite a bit farther. The rattle itself sounds like a metallic buzz. Sort of like a coin on a table when a train goes by, if you can imagine that. It happens only in gear (drive or reverse) and only at the very start of the throttle range. Touch the throttle from each stop-sign and BUZZZZZZZZ. I don't know if the low rpm caused by being in gear causes it, or if it's even the drivetrain against the firewall. It's definitely up high as it almost sounds like it comes from the bottom of the windshield. I did a search and found a Grand Cherokee posting about a buzz from an air-conditioner door inside the climate control that sounded sort of similar. Oh, and it's much worse in the cold air after it's sat all night.

I'll feel like a fool going to the dealer, but it's becoming Chinese water torture. Anyone else ever had this?

Oh, it's an 04 with just under 20k miles. Everything else works perfectly.
    Two days without a post?
    We were down all day yesterday ... and it started out a bit shaky today too. :cry:

Steve, Host
  • barnz_69barnz_69 Member Posts: 75
    Yeah, I've noticed the posting has gone down dramatically lately; I hope everyone is out enjoying their Jeeps!

It's been a while since we've heard from some of the 'regulars', particulary Tom and his TB adventures...hope everything is still all wonderful in Jeep land for everybody.

Let's get some posting!

Ryan
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    Okay, I'm debating the locker issue now.

I can get one autolocker (like Aussie or Lockright) and 1 selectable locker. Which one would I want to put on which axle? I thought a selectable in the rear is the better way to go as the autolockers in front wouldn't engage unless in 4wd.

But in talking with a selectable locker maker as well as Randy's Ring and Pinion, they both say the auto should be in the back and the selectable in front.

Most of my driving is on the highway, but once my rig is completed with regears/tires/etc, I see more offroading in store.

Any advice?

-Paul
  • randyacerandyace Member Posts: 96
    How's everyone been? Thought I'd share a brief recap of my vacation trip to Austin, Texas from here in Tuscaloosa, AL.

Drove nonstop both ways (approx 750 miles each way). I must say, although I had no problem with the speeds or trucks (6 cylinder), my rear end was both hurtin' and numb following each leg. I had the foresight to take a small pillow to use for lumbar support, and it helped immensely. A definite take-along for a long trip.

Gas mileage was horrible. After checking the first tankfull, around 18mpg, I quit calculating. I did have a pretty strong headwind heading west, but very rarely went over 70-75 mph.

Would I do it again? Sure...but likely at my age, would take more rest stops. I think on the way home here I only stopped 3 times, and only to refuel and get a cup of coffee. Not wise...was road drunk for the last quarter of the trip.

The CB was a definite asset, too. Oh....this was one of the first times I truly appreciated the 7-speaker system with the soundbar. At constant highway speeds, I cranked the music LOUD and was impressed with the sound. Even discovered some butt-relieving vibration from the console woofer. ;)

I have about seven pages of posts to catch up on, but wanted to relate the adventures of a long trip in the Wranger. Definitely not a comfort ride, but had alot of fun!

Later,

Randy
    Finally, I can post again! Don't know if it was just me, but I wasn't able to post or even search for like 2 days because of some technical difficulties.

Anyhow, I just changed the oil and filter in my jeep again (mobil 1 5w30 and k&n oil filter--all by myself again!), and everything is still running great. I have a couple things, though, that perhaps someone (Mac?) could shed some light on:

To start, when I first changed my oil by myself, I noticed that my oil pressure guage didn't move until the engine was turned over; before this, the guage would move to 3(the middle) when switched to 'on'. The pressure guage works fine (I think) once the engine is on, and I never gave it much thought or concern. I guess I'm just hoping everything is still ok...?

Second, in respect to oil pressure; what is 'normal' readings? At idle, as I just said, the pressure reads 3, or right in the middle of the guage (5.4 is the max., I believe). When I accelerate, the pressure increases to 3/4 of the guage, probably about to 4 or so. I figure this is obviously normal operating range...or is it? Like I've said before, before my jeep I've never really worked on cars, so I just want to make sure everything is fine with my oil changes, as they so-far seem.

Finally, regarding engine operating temperature; when the jeep is fully warmed up, it is at 100, the max. before the 'red' or dangerous zone. Never has it exceeded this. I figure this is normal as well? I have no cooling mods to speak of, and I don't think that I am borderline on overheating, I just want to make sure that all of these numbers (oil pressure and engine temp.)are in the normal/safe operating ranges.

I have a 97 TJ se, if that's important. As always, thanks, and I look forward to your responses.

Ryan
    It wasn't just you - database and hardware issues both slammed the forum the last couple of days. It's so nice to be able to post again!

Steve, Host
    The time lag before getting an oil pressure reading after changing the oil and filter is due to the need for the filter and oil galleries to be filled before pressure can build. You can cut this down by pre-filling the filter before fitting it.

Assuming your gauges are metric (is it a Canadian TJ?), everything appears normal.
    Gas mileage was horrible. After checking the first tankfull, around 18mpg, I quit calculating.

I guess it's all a matter of perception! :shades:
    Correct, it is a Canadian TJ. However, I think I need to re-explain my situation.

EVERY TIME I turn the car on (not crank the engine) the pressure does not read; not just immediately after the oil change(s). When I first bought the jeep, the pressure would read even before the engine was cranked (I turn the key to on for a few seconds before cranking the engine). Once the engine is cranked, the pressure begins to read. I just wonder if I did something wrong during MY first oil change (the first one I did myself). Oil levels are correct, so I'm not sure what, if anything, I did.

Thanks, Mac. I really appreciate it!

Also, my k&n oil filter that I just bought is supposed to have some kind of anti-drainback thing (yeah, I'm really mechanically inclined! lol), but it still doesn't read until the engine is cranked. When I removed the previous two oil filters, there was DEFINITELY oil in them, so...?

Ryan
    There's no 'wrong' choice or combination, but there are pros and cons to each type.

The main pro for an autolocker is that it's always working and doesn't need specially selected. Some are harsher in operation than others and all are more effective than an LSD when left to its own devices (though an LSD controlled by judicious brake use can be almost as effective). The biggest con is when you have one fitted to the rear axle and you find yourself in a low traction situation on a sideslope. The axle will lock and as both wheels rotate together the back end will slide downhill, which can range from amusing (for onlookers), to deadly (as you disappear over the side of a cliff).

The main pro a selectable is that you can choose when to lock it. The main con is that when unlocked it's usually a fully open diff (ARB and OX). Aftermarket exceptions are the Auburn ECTED and the Eaton ElecTrac, which function as an LSD when unlocked (like the rear diff on a Rubicon).

A good setup for mainly street use would be LSDs front and rear, maybe using TruTracs which use gears rather then clutch packs and are very smooth. For more serious offroading a combination style rear selectable and a geared front LSD would work well together. Taking it further, you could fit a combination style front and rear, which really represents the ultimate setup.

However, none of this is set in stone, and neither does it take the depth of your wallet into account.
    I don't know why the gauge previously gave a reading before there was any pressure, but the fact it now gives a good reading as soon as the engine fires means that all is well. Later Wranglers ('03 on) have a gauge that works like an idiot light, but earlier models give a reasonably accurate reading.

Virtually all oil filters now have an anti-drainback valve, but it really only comes into play when the filter is mounted so that the oil can drain back out into the engine. The K&N is a good quality filter, though you'll find oil in it at your next change. No problem though.
    Thanks a bunch, Mac. It's good piece of mind knowing that all is well with my Jeep, and better yet that I'M not messing anything up!

Ryan
  • texasjeeptexasjeep Member Posts: 270
    Anyone else having great weather? I have been getting a lot of topless and doorless time in. I ended up going to the beach on Christmas Day. It would be nice to have a at least a small winter season. I am starting to wonder how bad this summer is going to be now.
    We have the auto show this week, so I hope the Jeep display has a lot to see.
  • jeepman45jeepman45 Member Posts: 2
    Hi Everyone,
    I am new and need some feedback, I am going to buy a 2006 Wrangler this weekend. Should I get a 6speed or a auto.Only 25% of my driving will be off road, any equipment I should have. I am thinking about a unlimited where I live it snows. Anybodys imput would help. Thanks
  • highdeserthighdesert Member Posts: 12
    Jeepman45,
    I have the auto in my 2005 Unlimited. The 6 speed that I test drove was lots fun but I could not imagine driving around town every day with the 6 speed in the Wrangler. I'm 6-3 and the height that I had to pull my leg up to release the clutch was a non-starter for me. But...I'm getting old and it seems that my lower abdomen was getting in the way too. :blush: Others will feel completely different but I'm happy with my auto.
    Dennis
    If anything is driver's choice, this is. It's a modern automatic, with overdrive. That wasn't the case until a few years ago, so back then we warned people away from it. I think the stick is more in character with the Wrangler, but that's only my opinion.
    Manual vs auto is a purely personal choice. My Wrangler is a manual and I wouldn't have it any other way. I like the control it provides me both on and offroad. Yeah, it kinda stinks in traffic, but I don't deal with LA traffic anymore, and never did when I lived in California.

Offroad, an automatic does make it easier to focus on the obstacle and line you choose, but if you equip my Wrangler with an aftermarket hand throttle, like a bicycle shifter lever, you can have those three feet to run the clutch, brake, and gas as needed. I have one on my 97, but really only use it to keep rpm's up while winching.

I personally feel the manual is in line with the Wrangler tradition of keeping it simple.

-Paul
  • randyacerandyace Member Posts: 96
    Welcome to the board!

I'll echo the previous sentiments; this is entirely a matter of personal choice/preference. One thing to bear in mind is how much city commuting/driving you'll use the Wranger for. I have the 6-speed, and although I encounter my share of traffic and such, don't find the shifting at all a problem. I'll agree with a previous poster...just in my opinion, I feel a manual belongs in a Jeep. I'm 53, if that matters.

Just your preference and patience in dealing with lots of city traffic if you get the manual. Otherwise, enjoy the Jeep. You won't regret it!

Randy
    I have an auto. Pretty happy with it, but probably would have purchased the stick if doing it again. The OD programming in this transmission is not very good. Lugs itself in OD in traffic real bad, or up slight grades, then the motor pings. On the open road, it's fine. Also, when slowing almost to a stop and then trying to move again, the torque converter seems to spin free and the Jeep won't move for a second, almost like it's out of gear. I'm not trying to pick on it, just that my junky Ford minivan worked better than this, and they were famous for bad transmissions.

Also, you should go to the auto-show and check out the 07. If I was to start my buying research today instead of last year, that's what I would do. First, if you really like all the advancements, you won't be disappointed by buying too early. Second, if you still want an 06, there will be a large drop in price on remaining inventory of 06's when the 07's come out this summer/fall.

I'm just thinking like a bean-counter, though. If you want one RIGHT NOW, go for it!
  • jeepman45jeepman45 Member Posts: 2
    :) Thanks everyboby,
    Your imput is very much appreciate I will let you all know how it goes this weekend. Can't wait to get my Jeep. Shawn
  • mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    Just my opinion, I like the auto when driving on sand and really loose stuff because you are less likely to spin your wheels (and get stuck). I like the manual going down steep slopes - I find that I shift into 4 low in the auto sooner because 1st gear in the auto goes higher, so I'm on the brakes more unless I go to 4 low. If you are in slow-n-go traffic I actually prefer the manual, though it doesn't make much difference. When we drove the Sport as our commuter, I used to put it in 2nd gear and then crawl all the way through the backup at the Newhall pass, trying not to use the brakes at all. I can't quite do the same thing with the (auto) Unlimited. Driving with a million stop signs and stop lights is another good reason for the auto. While I've had trucks with tougher clutches, the Jeep clutch is heavier than many cars, so it can get tiring after lots of shifting.

The Unlimited is much more stable in high winds and at high speeds. I'd definitely recommend it over the SWB Wranglers if you are doing long distance commuting at high speeds. By the way, we still own both, and the Unlimited is our daily driver when gas is normally priced. When the cost of gas goes through the roof we switch to the Sport, which gets about 2 mpg more.
    I thought I'd jump in with what I've done to my Jeep lately. :)

Well, after my wife told me I need more traction and a bigger Jeep, so to keep her happy, I did that. Since our last Turkey Bay run, I've been researching and researching my latest round of mods.

My initial plan was for D44's front and rear, but realized for the cost, it was overkill for MY Jeep. For others, it makes perfect sense, but I wanted to keep it reasonable for our budget.

After seeing a friend's situation and solution, I watched eagerly to see how his went. I was very comfortable with his stress testing and figured that route would work for me as well. I priced at places like Performance OffRoad and my local shop, but Tennessee Offroad had the best prices.

I drove out of there last night with the following done:

Yukon Awesome 35 shafts
    Yukon 4.88 gears
    ARB locker with compressor in the back
    Lockright autolocker in the front
    33x12.5x15 TrXuS MT's on the stock Canyon wheels (with Spidertrax spacers)

My impressions driving it are:
    1. My brakes seem a bit underpowered now, but that just means bigger following distances and better planning for me.
    2. City acceleration was better than expected, especially given the heavy MT's.
    3. Highway acceleration (I had to drive to Lebanon, TN then home to Huntsville) was pretty good. I didn't have to shift to 4th up hills nearly as much as I did before, but still had to on some hills.
    4. With the 33's, the Jeep seems more stable and less twitchy than the 30's with the OME lift and JKS BL/MML.
    5. I noticed some vibes around 60 mph but no wobbling of the steering wheel. I can't tell if it is the bigger treads on the MT's or if I need to have them balanced a bit better. It is liveable, but something I need to address soon if it is a balance issue. Any ideas?
    6. It is tough to get into the Jeep when it is wet and stay clean!
    7. Clearance between the tires and spring perches is a non-issue with the stock wheels when the spacers are used.
    8. I have a bit of tire rub when doing a tight right turn (but not left), but suspect that would be fixed with the steering stop adjustment and/or an adjustable track bar in front (never installed it and front axle is offset a bit).
    9. 5th gear would be a bit better IF I could change the 5th gear drive ratio a bit and keep the rpms up about 200 higher.
    10. My rear tire won't fit on the stock carrier. I'll get a spacer for the time being, but I'll probably add either the ORFab carrier, Bestop tire carrier, or do a new rear bumper (wife will REALLY love the ORFab or new bumper/carrier options! ).

I have a few other pictures, but for some reason, my camera's interface cable isn't reading my memory card. I'll have to connect it directly I guess. I'll have more pics.

-Paul
  • nolid5nolid5 Member Posts: 148
    Paul, that looks awesome! Maybe you should post the photo of how she looked when you bought her. Wow! What a change. :shades:

Yeah, it's come a long way. :)

-Paul
  • keatskeats Member Posts: 412
    Looks awesome, Paul! I think you did the right the thing with the axles, you'll be fine with those upgraded shafts.

It has certainly come a long way. I think you picked the right suspension, the right winch and the right bumpers. Can't say I'm crazy about body lifts, though, but you had to have it to clear those 33s, and they look great.
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    Can't wait to see Kermit live and in the flesh, er... in the steel!

That set up oughta get you around Turkey Bay in a couple weeks when we have our big gathering.

Tom
    Have you hugged your Jeep today?
    Tom, great to hear from you again!! It's been awful quiet around here lately, so its super to see not only some posts, but from you as well. Your trademark slogan makes it clear that you haven't lost any enthusiasm for wheelin' and Thelma Jane!

By the way, lots of people have asked how to get better performance from the 4 banger; well, I did an oil and lube this week, followed by a good ol' throttle body cleaning. WOW! What a difference that made (the throttle body cleaning)! My fifth gear cruises easily at 100kms/hour (Canada, remember!), without the need to downshift at inclines as I did before. Not a huge performance gain by any means, but noticeable, and just enough to be satisfied with my 4cyl's performance with the 31's. 100 is the speed limit everywhere around here, so I do not have the need or desire to go any faster. I recommend that everyone with a somewhat older jeep (mine has 108 000 kms) try this easy maintenance...they'll be surprised. My jeep has run great since I got it, but the carbon build up was insane, and the difference in idle rpm's and cruising ability are noticeable, or at least were in my case.

Paul, your Jeep does look great, and you will no doubt enjoy the mods I'm sure when you boys hit up Turkey Bay...so jealous... :P

Your Jeep makes a great point for all of us four bangers!

Take care,
    Ryan
    Got an email from one of my Buds here at Edmunds Jeep Wrangler asking about the thing that some of my regular wheelin' buddies have planned for Turkey Bay on the weekend of 2/17 thru 2/19.

I believe that Monday, 2/20, is President's Day? Some folks are off that day, so they plan to do some wheelin' on both Saturday and Sunday, and drive home on Monday. I will probably only wheel on Saturday, 2/18, but some folks will show up late in the day Friday, 2/17, and stay through Sunday, 2/19.

The gang that I wheel with never needs an excuse to go wheelin', but in this case, we have a soldier boy Jeeper returning from Iraq, and that's the occasion that has caused so many folks to plan on going that weekend.

It looks like Saturday will be the day that our numbers will be the greatest, but several also plan to wheel Sunday.

We will have enough Jeepers that are familiar with the trails at Turkey Bay that we can split into two or three groups, with each group having a knowledgeable trail guide.

Everyone is welcome! It would be really cool to meet in person some of you that I know from this message board.

Turkey Bay is in Land Between the Lakes National Recreation Area, which is the peninsula between Ky and Barkley lakes in western KY. Check your road atlas and see if it's practical for you to come. Heck, come on, even if it ISN'T practical. "Practical" is way over-rated anyway.

I will caution you that Turkey Bay gets shut down when the soil is saturated, so please be sure to check with me before you start your long journey. A lot of freezing and thawing, or a lot of rain could mean that Turkey Bay would be closed. My email addy is public in my porfile, so holler at me, if you are interested in going. I can tell you what the weather has been like and make a guess as to the odds of Turkey Bay being open, but you should also call LBL at 270-924-2000 and ask about current conditions just before you leave.

Tom
    Have you hugged your Jeep today?
  • jeff62301jeff62301 Member Posts: 310
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    I thought I'd jump in with what I've done to my Jeep lately.

It looks great, Paul. My latest Jeep mod was the removal of the bumper end caps. Woo-Hoo!!! Of course, three of the Torx fasteners stripped out so I had to drill them. Next I'm going to fit the new small OEM end caps. Life in the fast lane... :P I'm also trying to resist the urge to taking a look at a Defender 90 that's popped up on a dealer lot in Louisville.
  • bamatazzbamatazz Member Posts: 311
    Hello Jeepers,
    Paul, your Jeep looks great. recently ive been doing some stereo work on mine, added Kenwood head unit & Kenwood amp. Thinking about XM radio soon.
    Hey TOM, you still have your work truck too?
    Keep Jeepin!!
    Bama

GOOO SEAHAWKS!! 21-17
    Glad you guys like what I've done. I like how it looks and how it has performed to this point. Turkey Bay was doable with the 30" AT's, but the 33" MT's will make a big difference I suspect. The gearing just helps them turn. :)

As for the body lift, I'm not wild about them either, but was a necessary evil for 33's. It also allows me a maximum gain on a belly up that I hope to do soon and I'll have even better clearance in the mid-section.

I've been very fortunate with this Jeep in that the mods were fairly easy to do. Even though it is a 97, the bolts have all come off easily w/o breaking (except for the mirror relocators). No stripped bolts or anything. :)

I have a few other pics of the Jeep here...

http://photobucket.com/albums/v301/skimblz/Jeep/33regear/

-Paul
  • wpowellwpowell Member Posts: 125
    Paul, looks like the Photobucket album is password protected.

Mark
    Should be good now.

-Paul
  • bobcat82bobcat82 Member Posts: 13
    Paul,

Nice!!!

Art...
  • rebel38rebel38 Member Posts: 6
    I thought forgiveness was easier to get than permission.........but she is really holding the line on me selling the new winch on e-bay.

Any suggestions????

Be Safe,

George
    DIVORCE.