Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Liberty

Comments

• k7aayk7aay Member Posts: 3
    Have a problem, looking for help.:cry:

I had been driving my '06 Liberty with some radio testing gear, and used the front passenger belt to secure a box holding a laptop. I moved the shoulder strap out of the way, wrapping it around the back of the headrest.

Removed the box, then unfastened the belt before removing the shoulder strap from behind the headrest, and the reel took up the slack. Now, the belt is friction-locked, and I can't get enough slack out of it to get the shoulder strap section over the headrest.

Manual has nothing about either releasing the tension on the belt or about removing the headrest. Tried pressing on the latch on the top of the seat to remove the headrest (as my old 4Runner would do), but I can't get the headrest off.

Tried moving the seat itself, did not help. Recline/forward the seat back also did not help.

How can I get the headrest off?

How can I release the lock of the belt so I can get some slack to remove the belt from behind the headrest?

If neither can be done, I see the should hbelt hangar on the inside of the "B" pillar holds the belt up, and is attached to the adjustment slider with a large hex nut. If I remove the nut with a large crescent wrench, and remove the hangar while keeping tension on the belt so it does not retract further while I unloop the belt from behind the head rest, what else might go wrong?

Thank you kindly, all.
  • angel63angel63 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2002 Jeep Liberty and have recently moved to Canada. I see that there is a place in my fuse box to put in a optional module for the daytime running lights. Does anyone know if I buy the module and put it in if I need different headlamps or can I just buy the module? Thanks! :confuse:
  • faroutfarout Member Posts: 1,609
    k7aay: On our 2005 CRD liberty we have had to have the front passengers seat belt replaced two times. The belt kept tightening and would darn near think a killer constrictor snake attempting to squeze you to death.
    The dealer can't refuse to replace it as long as you are under 36,000 miles.

Farout
  • ned412ned412 Member Posts: 16
    I believe that seat belts are covered for 50K.
  • k7aayk7aay Member Posts: 3
    Except if the owner does something stupid, as I did.

I suspect the dealership will charge, which is why I'm asking *here* for solutions.
  • iwasaudreyiwasaudrey Member Posts: 11
    I am hoping to finance a used vehicle in the next month. I have narrowed it down based on my price range to the (2002/2003) Jeep Liberty and the (2003/2004) Mitsubishi Outlander. I have done my own research and discovered pros and cons for both vehicles. I was looking to get some advice on here. I am new to these forums so I hope I am doing this correctly.
    The MitsubishI has a very poor record in holding it's value, and is not really apples to apples with any Jeep vehicle. The Jeep will out last the other by a long shot and hold it's value much longer. The one issue that I see is financing a used vehicle has limits on the length of time to pay for it, because of age. Get your financing arranged before you go to buy. The dealer makes money selling your contract, find your own and save.

Farout
  • fletcher3fletcher3 Member Posts: 12
    can someone give me their educated opinion on my lease question in the liberty lease forum

thanks dave
  • ned412ned412 Member Posts: 16
    Does anyone know how to replace the bulb in the frot parking light. The one in the bottom corner of the bumper. Do you get it from the wheel well?

It's an 06 limited 4x4
  • jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    don't know how to change it but I suggest you take it to the dealer you bought it from and ask them to show you how it's done.
  • the1426the1426 Member Posts: 11
    I am purchasing a 2003 Liberty LTD with 58,000 miles. The vehicle has the original tires which will need to be replaced. Does anyone have any suggestions on make/model of tire that would be good for this vehcle? I will be doing a small amount of off-roading but primarily using it city/highway.
    go to Ther tire rack .com and you can learn what has worked and does not work. The worst tire you can buy is the GoodYear Wrangler ST. These tires came stock and were worthless. Farout
  • kobe8rice41kobe8rice41 Member Posts: 5
    I just recently purchased an overhead console and am going to install it manually into my 05 Jeep Liberty. When I took the light dome off the front I noticed that the clips on the overhead console won't match up. I am assuming that they must have changed the design but I have seen the 05 dodge durango overhead consoles and they look the same and it's an 05 (Dodge & Chrysler have the same overhead console that the Liberty's have). The console that I bought looks identical to the one in the 05 Liberty owners manual. I am wondering if someone has encountered the same problem and could point me in the right direction, maybe there is an attachment somewhere or something.
    Thanks!
  • xkmailxkmail Member Posts: 36
    yes I stripped it, I don't know how but I did.
    I am thinking in the back of my head it is a right hand thread as opposed to left hand thread?
    Does anyone know what size this is so I can avoid the dealer?
    kevin
    Why avoid the dealer when you can ask the parts department what size plug you need and go buy it somewhere else. On the other hand if you stripped the bolt and damaged the hole, you will need to use a kit to redo the problem.
  • bluew126bluew126 Member Posts: 3
    Hello,
    My sister has a 2004 Liberty with about 38,000 miles on it. Her oil light came on for a few hours and then turned off. She had on oil change done. But a couple of weeks later the light came on again. This time for about 30 minutes. The oil level is fine. Any idea why this would be happening. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Mike
  • winter2winter2 Member Posts: 1,801
    Oil pressure sending unit could be failing and may need replacement. Other possibility is that there is a wiring problem or bad connector at the sending unit. Check these first. Another possibility is a bad oil filter that is not allowing oil to pass through properly.
    Thanks. It must be the oil pressure sending unit. Just changed the filter and the problem occurred after. I tried Advance Auto, but they did not stock the part. The dealership has it for $47. If anyone knows where I can get it cheaper, please let me know. Thanks again!
    Mike
    If the sending unit does not take care of the problem, you might have an oil pump problem, which would be worth while to have some who knows what they are doing to check it out.
    Napa would be the best place to either have it or be able to get one.

farout
    I just re-read your post. Check the oil filter!!! Is it the correct one for your Liberty?? If it is the wrong one, you could be destroying your engine.
  • dwlibertydwliberty Member Posts: 2
    I have been having problems with my liberty since I bought it. the dealer said they cant find anything.
    idles rough at times..
    one time stalled...told me its breaking in. it only has 1120 miles on it.
    the day after the third time bringing it did something really strange.
    I was excelling onto a highway, making a right on red.
    I do put my foot to the floor to get to speed. the jeeps rpm when crazy and it made this
    extremely loud high pitched grinding sound from behind the glove compartment.
    and the car didn't excel at all. I thought it was going to stall. but it didn't and seemed to fix itself.
    since then it has made the grinding noise and rpm goes crazy but didn't act like it was going to stall.
    I brought it in and they told me that it could be because its so new,
    or because the engine is so big and its a light truck, or it could be that I shouldn't put my foot to the floor the way
    I do and that it may be that the anti roll device is trying to even itself out.
    the dealer says they can't find anything or make it happen so nothing is wrong. if this is because of the way I accelerate then this must have happened to someone else.
    has anyone experienced this? I have had 2 mechanics tell me that it sounds like transmission, but I guess to enforce the
    lemon law you need them to acknowledge the problem. Help! is this normal for a new car?
    and do I have to drive the liberty more gingerly than other cars?
  • boredbored Member Posts: 300
    That does in fact sound like the ESP system retarding the timing on the engine and using the brakes to control the vehicle. You shouldn't be driving that Liberty like a car. If you didn't have ESP, by the way it's sounding, you should have rolled it a long time ago. I'd suggest you keep your foot out of the go-pedal so much. You might get some better mileage too, hehehehehhehehehe.

It's a truck. Slow down.

I can't help on the stalling issue. :( Sorry...
  • dwlibertydwliberty Member Posts: 2
    As embarrassing as it is to hear that, I feel better hearing it from other than the dealer.
    And the fact that there is probably nothing wrong with it. just me apparently.
    I had a small SUV before but not the jeep. handles differently, which is
    what I wanted to know.
    as far as the rough idle and the stall they said it was a new engine and
    needed to break in. Thanks
  • boredbored Member Posts: 300
    Well it is a 3.7L 90º engine. It's not the smoothest engine in the world. The balance shafts that the engine has helps, but doesn't eliminate all of the shakes. If it was a 60º engine, it would balance itself, making it MUCH smoother.

I feel the stall was a different issue altogether... and the idle is normal. It's one of the first things I discovered about my Liberty. My passenger seat would visibly shake while idling...
  • wam161wam161 Member Posts: 5
    My wife and I were just on a 1600 mile trip to the Smokey Mountains in Tennessee. Our 2005 Liberty had approximately 37,000 miles on it, and it had been completely problem free up until this point. The only unscheduled things done to it were a couple of recalls.

We had taken the Liberty on a previous trip to the Black Hills in South Dakota and the Jeep performed pretty well. It was an enjoyable vehicle to use for a trip overall. For the Smokey Mountains things were different.

For one thing, I really felt the limitations in the handling department. Around the mountain roads, the Liberty just felt way too unwieldy. The sloppy steering just felt way too sloppy on the mountains curves. What made matters worse was how weazy the 3.7 was going up the mountain slopes. The V6 just labored continually. I was a bit emabrrassed that a family member caravaning with us was able to leave us in the dust with his Toyota Highlander. The Liberty was simply outgunned by the Highlander, and was pretty much outgunned by anything else on the road with us.

The biggest blow came when we were in Cades Cove in the Smokey Mountain National Park. At the 38,000 mile mark on the odometer, the belt tensioner ceased up. It tossed the belt, and the trip was effectively over at that point. Of course the warranty was up, and the incident ended up putting us back $400.00. That included the 30 mile tow out of the mountains.

So the lesson I learned was this: Liberty trail rated, but not mountain rated.

It's too bad, because we really enjoyed our Jeep up until this point. For 38,000 miles it had been one of the better vehicles we owned. The "power tech" V6 Chrysler uses is really a dog, and I wished they hadn't opted to use it in the 2008 Liberty. A better engine would go a long way in the Liberty. The vehicle is an otherwise decent small SUV.

As a side note, we averaged 19.1 MPG for the whole trip. That included the gas eating mountain roads. The highway travel came out to be more like 21.1 MPG. Overall that wasn't too bad for the Liberty considering the abysmal city type MPG it gets for our day to day driving.
  • blkrbtblkrbt Member Posts: 5
    Hello everybody,

I need your help. A friend of mine imported a Jeep Liberty in the old country. In order to register the vehicle he also needs the engine#. I called my local dealership, service advisor told me it's located on the right(passenger) side of the engine. He had to look it up, so he couldn't tell me if the engine number would have just numbers or also letters. Also, does it start with the engine model? If anybody knows, please let me know. Any info will be great.

Thanks
  • blkrbtblkrbt Member Posts: 5
    P.S. The vehicle is already overseas, so I am not able to look for the # myself. Neither do I have the vin# but I can find out. I work at a Honda dealership and I know I can look up a Honda engine# by entering the vin# in the Honda IN network. But then even if I had the vin# I'll have to ask the local dealer go the extra mile to help me out. If anybody have an idea what a Jeep Liberty engine# starts with please let me know.
  • nomorechryslernomorechrysler Member Posts: 1
    It is probably too late, but I say YES. My extended warranty has saved me a mint! In under 60,000 miles the PCM went out, and that was only part of a very long list.
  • bjohnson99bjohnson99 Member Posts: 1
    My rear rattling problem sounds very similar to yours. Did you ever figure out what was causing the rattle?
  • ajchristajchrist Member Posts: 8
    From what I've read in this forum; Selec-Trac is preferred. I will be driving this vehicle over snow/ice in mountainous terrain. Based upon my experience, a manual trans is more preferable in winter driving for regaining control in skids and downshifting during deceleration. Is there a difference in how Selec-Trac functions when configured with the six-speed manual verses the four-speed auto? I thank you in advance for your reply.
    Select-Trac is only available with automatic as far as I know.
  • ajchristajchrist Member Posts: 8
    Jayrider, thank you for answering my first question.

I'm looking at three 2006 models; two are 6spd manuals and one is a 4spd auto. The 4spd auto shows a "lever" on the center console with position markings for 2W, 4W, N, and 4L.
    A Renegade, a 6spd manual, also shows an identical lever on its center console. The other 6spd manual is a Sport, but it has a large "slide-type" switch next to the shifter, with no markings (unless they're worn off). I assume both 6spd manuals are Command-Trac, so why the difference? I thank you in advance for your answer.
    I'm a bit confused by your question but having said that offer the folowing for you to consider. Unless you plan to do a lot of rugged off road driving with your jeep, get the automatic with selec-trak. The part time usage that the command trac offers makes it limited in application to very slick, low traction conditions. You may need to switch in and out of 4-wheel drive because if the road dries up and you need to turn your wheels will bind up. With the full time option on the selec-trac, you can set it and forget it. There are those who swear by the old school part time system and I suppose if you have good skill in using it you can manage fine. But if you want a system that is very effective,easy to use and with wide application then go with the auto/selectrac.
  • don117don117 Member Posts: 1
    My son wants a Renegade. I am looking at a 2005 model. Anyone have any thoughts on how reliable this car is? Anything to look-out for before I buy it? Any maintenance issues?
  • wpatrickwpatrick Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2006 and tried just inserting the module and it did not activate the daytime running lights. If you hear of anyone with a "do it yourself" answer i would appreciate hearin from you
    [email protected]
  • the1426the1426 Member Posts: 11
    Hello, does anyone know of a good site or have instructions for checking and resetting check-engine codes on a 2003 Liberty?
    Assuming the problem that triggered the code has already been fixed, you can clear the codes with an OBDII scanner. Advance Auto or Autozone can do it for you for free.
  • 204meca204meca Member Posts: 369
    My Lib has 60K & I plan to take it to an independent garage for the 60K service. Regarding flushing the tranny. Does the lib have the Chysler slushbox that requires a special (Mopar only) fluid. Any other recommendations on this service would be appreciated. Thanks
  • jeepboy08jeepboy08 Member Posts: 49
    I just purchased a 2007 Jeep lierty sport, and it has absolutely no upgrades. I called the dealership, and asked them about a sunroof, and they told me to call...

You can understand that, I presume. Anyway, The man at the auto store told me that to have a sun/moonroof installed, along with lifetime warranty, and annual check-ups, the price would top $1200. Since I have never "bought" a sunroof before, is that a good deal? Or is it overpriced?

My email is [email protected]. Please feel free to email me with answers! Anything helps! Thank you!
  • ArtXArtX Member Posts: 3
    How da ya :) I love my Liberty at winter time, great car on snowy highways and snowy streets of Chicago. In summer time I hate this car, but now.....i Love this American " small Tank" ;) good choice for winter time and bad weather, but this car is very far for japense gas savers ( I mean about corolla or civic) :shades:
  • ArtXArtX Member Posts: 3
    because...this is jeep not limo. Hard car for hard people .....dont expect any luxury things, this car is like tank, but if you are hard person for sure You will love this cart ;)
  • lasersamlasersam Member Posts: 5
    Last night in a driving rain I put on the rear wiper to clear the view. After wiping I noticed that there was still a few persistent drips. When I got home and checked.... water was on the inside of the glass, dripping over the heater strips. Not a good sign. Anyone else experience this on their 09? :(
  • mrickermricker Member Posts: 1
    Hello. I bought a 2003 Liberty for part (whole vehicle for the motor), now I have the rest of the car and don't know a good place to sell parts (transmission, 4x4, wheels,ect..)
    Anyone know where to post?
    Thanks.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    eBay comes to mind but it would be less hassle if you could part it out on your local craigslist.com.
  • mpoarchmpoarch Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a 2006 Jeep Liberty with under 50K miles. It's an automatic 2wd. At 57K, It sometimes doesn't want to come out of park into gear when first starting up. Has anyone had similar problems and come up with any solutions? I know I've heard the horror stories about these trannies shifting themselves, but this one doesn't even want to let the driver shift it. :confuse:
  • rjmagyarrjmagyar Member Posts: 3
    Wow, we had the exact same crack. There was not chip site as would be typical of a rock. The Jeep people claimed that the rock hit below the glass and the crack propagated from there. There was no evidence of that.

Anyway, we wound up fixing the problem ourselves.
  • roxburnroxburn Member Posts: 2
    I am currently look at a 2003 Jeep Liberty for my daughter for college. If there is a lemon within a 50 mile radius I seem to connect. Can anyone help me? Vin#1j4gk58k03w721653.
    I would be so greatful and appreciative.
    The trans on the Liberty requires Mopar fluid. The latest iteration is C4 which is backward compatible with your trans which took C3.
  • rchadrchad Member Posts: 1
    Hello - I have an '06 Liberty. Is there a common problem that causes rain water to leak in somehow and get the front passenger footwell carpet wet? We just bought this vehicle and we're not sure where it's coming from. It has a sunroof. any ideas?
    Thanks.
  • britt_brittbritt_britt Member Posts: 3
    We bought our Jeep Liberty on 8/15/2010... Within 6 weeks TWO of the window are broken (will not roll up or down)!... (so far)... ....They have lovely tape all over them at this point.

We originally took to Myrtle Beach Chrysler Jeep (Bobby Gale). (At that point the window was stuck at about 40% down)... We left it there... The said it would be the $200.00 deductible under our warranty...

They called an hour later and said no parts til tomorrow... (this was over a month ago).. When they gave it back to us....we didn't notice until we were almost out of the parking lot, that the window was ALL the way down in the door now... Why??... Because this fool took all of the PARTS out of the door so there was nothing to hold it up.... When we asked him to at least get the glass out of the door ... He said nope... SORRY..

Thanks!! .. You just made is WORSE...

We then took it to Tidelands in Pawleys Island SC and they (as a courtesy) got the glass out of the door/applied tape and told us that they knew the parts ... (1700+ of them for this window) were on back-order and it would be 3 weeks!...

...Since then another window went DOWN, so 2 of them still have TAPE all over them... This is the worst customer service!!!.. Be warned... As if the Jeeps are not bad enough, Myrtle Beach Chrysler Jeep gets the "award for the WORST customer service ever!!!...

There are also 279 posts on the 2006-7 Liberty Power windows issue on this site!