Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    Buy her something expensive that she really wants and plead with her.
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    You could ask her if she'd prefer to either stay with the mired Jeep in the depths of the woods while you go for help, or would she like to go for help while you stay with the Jeep? :confuse:

This scene would of course be set as both darkness and rain begin to fall, with the background accompaniment of howling wolves/coyotes (depending on your location) and thunder and lightning. ;)

The logical answer would be to keep the winch, and as wives are always logical in their arguments you would obviously retain the winch and live happily ever after.

However, in the real world.................. :shades:
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    Can you give more details as to why? Did you buy it w/o telling her? Did you underestimate the price?

When I did my winch shopping, I told my wife about everything I was looking at, to the point of her telling me to shut up about it. I considered several, and told her exactly what it was used for and such. I had planned on a T-Max, but she told me, "If this is being used for safety and to extract you in the middle of nowhere, I do NOT want you to risk getting hurt or stranded. Get the best."

I got a Warn with her blessing.

Does your wife support your hobby/addiction? :) If so, then explain to her why the winch is critical. If you just mall crawl, then you may have a tough sell.

More info about your situation would help. :)

-Paul
  • rebel38rebel38 Member Posts: 6
    Paul, she is not to supportive of my addiction. I actually, sold my rubicon hard top and took that money to purchase the winch.

I got a great deal and really saved some money, but I should have gotten her buy in First.

However, I did NOT think I would ever get her OK or buy in.

Finally, what makes matters worst is that we are really trying to pay off all our debt......but I took an unperforming asset, the hard top and sold it on e-bay to get the money. So it was not like I incurred more debt:)

She want me to sell the winch on e-bay.......

Thanks for your thoughts and prayers:)

George
  • barnz_69barnz_69 Member Posts: 75
    The 4wd dash indicator light on my 97 TJ has stopped working, though I'm pretty sure the t-case engages 4wd (it seems to shift to lower gears--does this mean that 4wd is working?). I've checked the hoses, and, to the extent of my knowledge (very little ), everything looks okay. I realize this is a common problem, but it's the only thing wrong with my jeep, and it is bugging me. It worked fine when I bought it in the spring, so I'm figuring some of my power washing of the underbody wrecked a sensor/switch or something??

As I said, I'm FAIRLY certain that 4wd engages, but would like to be POSITIVE. Can someone who has had this experience offer some help? I'm a retard when it comes to electronics, so any advice would be helpful. I don't use 4wd often (just the few trips off road and perhaps one or two heavy snowfalls), so I doubt that the bulb could be burned out. All other guages work fine, so is there an individual fuse for the 4wd light? I couldn't find such a thing looking through the owners or Haynes manuals.

Anyhow, if anyone could offer some help, it would be greatly appreciated!

PS: Is there anyway I could check if my 4wd is working properly that doesn't involve spitting mud all over the place (or my face!)or seeing if it binds when cornering?

Shifting into 4LO shows DEFINITE signs of lower gearing, so does this mean my system (along with 4HI) is working fine? 4HI is a little more difficult to detect, though I THINK it is working...
    Sorry for the long post! :P

Thanks!

Ryan
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Do people still use come-alongs? They shouldn't be much over $40 or so.

Steve, Host
    Man, that is a tough call. If you haven't used the hard top and are only using the soft top, the hard top is just wasting space and you paid for something you are not using.

At least with the winch, you get a functional tool that can be used off road, and occasionally for on-road emergencies.

Trying to pay off debt is never easy, but my wife and I have managed to do it, except for our house. All credit cards are a zero balance, so it is possible, even while doing mods. A debt consolidation loan can combine all your bills into one and let you pay your balances. Hard part is not using them after they are paid. :) We cut about 15 credit cards up and cancelled them to get them off current/active status with the credit bureaus.

Tell her that you want and need a winch for safety and such and you'll happily sell it, but then buy a Warn winch later. So you can keep your current expense, or pay more for one later. :) Worked for me when I wanted our Jeep (was our daughter's but she couldn't really drive it safely). Lemme keep this one or I'll bug you for a bigger/better/newer one later.

Marriage is about compromise, so it sure sounds like it is time to make some. Your argument works with me, but you need to find what will work with her. :)

Good luck!

-Paul
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    Ryan:

A couple simple tests that I can think of to see if 4WD is working would be:

1. In 2WD, drive slowly in a parking lot and without using the brake, just push in the clutch and see how far the Jeep rolls before coming to a complete stop. Do the same in 4Hi, and if the Jeep stops in less distance than it did before, odds are that you are in 4WD.

2. Make a tight turn in a parking lot, in both 2WD and 4WD. You should feel some binding in 4WD, if you are really in 4WD.

Tom
    Have you hugged your Jeep today?
    Hi Bama!

Yep, still driving that little 89 S-10. He's got 192,000 plus miles on him now.

Tom
    Make a tight turn in a parking lot, in both 2WD and 4WD. You should feel some binding in 4WD, if you are really in 4WD.

Yup, that's the easiest way, and it works for either type of transmission.

As to the indicator light issue, and assuming that the front axle is being driven, the most likely answer is a bulb failure. Age has nothing to do with it, as a bulb can fail at any time. Second is a faulty switch on the transfer case, closely followed by a faulty connection, either at the switch or elswhere in the circuit.
    Thanks for the advice, fellas. Well, I tried to switch the bulb, with both the shift light bulb (who needs it anyway?) and the seatbelt warning bulb. No luck, and both (shift and seatbelt) worked when used with the original/existing 4wd bulb. Guess this would rule a faulty bulb out? I put all the bulbs back where they origainally were, and all my dash guages work fine, except of course, the 4wd light.

I'll try the turn test, though I'm scared of damaging anything. My jeep is ten years old, so I doubt it'll be a warranty issue. I'm thinking it could be the switch on the t-case. Any idea as to the cost of repair?

As always, thanks!

Ryan
    Do people still use come-alongs?

Very often the difference between stuck and unstuck is only a couple of feet so a come-along, or even a heavy duty ratchet strap, will do the trick.
    I'll try the turn test, though I'm scared of damaging anything. My jeep is ten years old, so I doubt it'll be a warranty issue. I'm thinking it could be the switch on the t-case. Any idea as to the cost of repair?

As soon as the steering begins to tighten, stop, then reverse until you're in the position you started from, then disengage 4wd. You won't hurt anything.

You should be able to replace the switch yourself. Check first though to see if it's just a wire disconnected. You can get the switch here for $35 including shipping.
    Okay, I did the test, and I'm pretty sure it works. There was some 'bumping' going on, would that qualify? Also, I can hear some clicking coming from the front of the Jeep...good or bad?

Does the fact that there is some DEFINITE gear changing (I can't go very fast at all in LOW--as it should be) mean I still have 4wd?

Thanks for all your help,

Ryan
    Nope, Ryan, low range being in working order does not necessarily mean that power is being delivered to the front axle.
    The fact that your speed is reduced in 'Low' indicates that low range is engaged, but not that the front axle is being driven. However, difficulty in steering and noise from the front end would indicate that drive is going there.

I'd be surprised if it wasn't the switch or a connection.
    Thanks again to both of you :)

I'll probalby take her to the dealer in the next couple days and replace the switch--after much searching, I see that this is a common problem for the lack of 4wd light.

The light hasn't been working for a little bit now, but it's annoying because it's the ONLY thing not working properly, and I'd just rather spend the little bit $ and have it working. Piece of mind...

Thanks!

Ryan
    One last question, and this one is probably a pretty stupid one:

Does the switch that I suspect is broken control 4wd AND the indicator light on the dash, or just the latter? If the switch is not working, does THAT mean I DEFINITELY do NOT have 4wd?

After I offroad, I vigorously wash the underbody of my jeep, so it's likely I shorted out the switch or wires.

Ryan
    Failure of the switch will not affect the actual engagement of 4WD. However, when working correctly, the indicator light will show whether 4WD is engaged or not, i.e. if you shift out of 4WD and the light remains on then 4WD has not yet disengaged, or if you engage 4WD and the light does not illuminate then 4WD has not yet engaged.
    Paul, THANKS for the advise. I got a mile marker SI 12000 for 539.39, the mounting plate for 139, labor was 50% off or $50.00, the winch cover and the winch bag with accessories for 138.00 so the total was about $900.00.

I have NOT pulled one thing...but if i put it on e-bay i'll have to take ????? and I'm losing money and the winch.

Any good ideas to compromise?????

THANKS,

George
  • randyacerandyace Member Posts: 96
    Well, sorry this isn't as interesting as the 4WD or Winch issues, but as y'all know, I'm a simple man!

I've noticed for some time now that when I have my vent controls set to the dash panel only, I get a pretty good blast of air (usually warm) coming from the underdash (floorboard) vent(s). Not a problem, except on a semi-warm day, my right foot tends to get a bit warm..and...yuck...sweaty.

Took my 06 to the dealer for an oil change the other day, and asked that they check the air flow problem. Was originally told it possibly could be a vacuum line.

Well, after servicing, I got an answer a few of us have received before..."it's a unique and common situation with the Wranglers". They said they checked a couple of Wranglers on the lot, and the new ones also had air flow to the floor ducts when the setting was for the dash panel.

I know this is quite minor, but was wondering if anyone else's Jeep has this "issue". My controls for the vent system does not have a "dual" setting for both dash and floor....it's either/or.

Comments? Thanks as always. By the way, my dealer here in Tuscaloosa provided quite superb service. Got a courtesy ride to work and also picked me up for the return trip to the dealer. Nice driver named Olivia.... ;)

Randy
    Randy,

Though my jeep is a '97, it does the same thing, albeit just a little bit of air from the 'opposite' vent, not a 'blast' as you describe. For instance, if I have the panel vents on, I can feel a little air on my feet, and vice versa. I've assumed this is normal, and haven't given it much thought. My manual states:

Panel: 'Air comes from the outlets in the instrument panel. Each of these outlets can be individually adjusted to direct the flow of air.'

Floor: 'Air comes from the floor outlets. A slight amount of air is directed through the defrost and demisters.'

This leaves one good question: What is a demister?

Ryan
    Randy, if you're in Tuscaloosa, you should run up to Turkey Bay with us next weekend! I'm leaving from Huntsville sometime on Friday.

-Paul
    Check out the banner across the top for CarSpace - there's finally a place to host your photos here at Edmunds!

Steve, Host
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    This leaves one good question: What is a demister?

demist - as in remove mist.

tidester, host
    Ryan:

Demister is de husband of demissus.

Tom
    Paul, my wife has reach some level of emotional normalcy, but still wants me to sell the winch so this may be my opportunity to try that step in a guarded fashion and use that to say........the demand is not there for $X dollars say I paid 900.00 and the best offer I have is $550.00!!!!

Honey it just does not make since to lose $350.00 more ???

Have you or someone you know made an experience on selling a used winch????

Any suggestions you have are appreciated:)

Be safe,

George
    Honey it just does not make since to lose $350.00 more ???

That's a loser - it's easily trumped by the "cut your losses" argument. :)

tidester, host
    Tom,

Thanks for clearing that up...
    LOL!

Clever...

Ryan
    Hey, Paul!

A sincere thanks for the invitation. Nice to know I have a potential playmate (well, you know what I mean)!

Butt...(and yes, note the pun), "mine" is still recovering from my 1700 mile trip to Texas 10 days ago. Plus, my brother in law is getting married Saturday in Mobile, so I *have* to go...sighhhh....

Next time????

Thanks..Randy
    Ross Allen is howlin' in doggie Heaven over that one...good one!!!

Randy
  • texasjeeptexasjeep Member Posts: 270
    Well Jeep didn't have the 2007 Wrangler or the 2007 Compass at the auto show. I thought they had the 07 Wrangler at the Detroit and LA auto show. I was disappointed because I thought they would have it. They did have the Grand Cherokee SRT-8. It doesn't look too bad.
    I guess I should of talked to them about putting the diesel in wranglers. Maybe that would help show them how much demand there is for it. I would love to get an unlimited rubicon diesel. I am wanting to look into how much more weight that would add to the front.
    Toyota had a off road adventure. You could drive a tacoma or tundra. I drove both. At least toyota lets you drive more than one vehicle unlike Jeep. ;) It wasn't anything special but it was decent.
  • drewmeisterdrewmeister Member Posts: 168
    Dang. That means if Houston didn't get it, I bet KC won't get it either. We're a little on the smaller side, as far as the shows go. However, we did get the new Mustang when it made the rounds, so I'll have my fingers crossed...
    "These special-edition Jeeps celebrate Jeep's 65th anniversary wearing a new color: Jeep green."

Wrangler 65th-Anniversary Special Edition (Inside Line)

Steve, Host
    LOOOOOOVE the colour! Very rustic, original, jeepish flavour to it!

Ryan

Now, since it's 'Jeep Green', does that mean it's trademarked?? :P
    The first one should have been built on 2/6/06 with a final build date of 4/28/06.
    thanks, tidester..........I figure the longer it's on the jeep the better my odds are to keeping it.

I'm going to attempt to sell it on e-bay for $1000.00 and just hope and pray no ones buys it.

Then I can say i'm trying to sell it etc.

Your thoughts???

Be safe

Rebel38
  • darn_gwmdarn_gwm Member Posts: 5
    Jeff,

Did the 3.5 RE lift come with adjustable track bar or control arms to regain your steering geometry?

I just had a 3" BDS suspension lift and 33's put on our 05 Wrangler and here we go with the "Death Wobble". There aren't any loose or worn out parts yet. I had never heard of "DW" until now. I'm very new to this Jeep thing, but learning fast.

Wayne
    Wayne:

A good buddy of mine had a SEVERE case of Death Wobble, and he tried many things to get rid of it. What did the trick was adjustable control arms.

When you lift the frame further above the axles than standard height, which is exactly what you do with a suspension lift, you change the caster of the front wheels.

The control arms connect the frame to the axles, as you know. Because the front axle is connected to the frame in back of the front wheels, when the frame goes up, the front wheels are pulled slightly toward the back of the Jeep. This messes up your caster and can lead to Death Wobble.

If you are positive that all the bolts are tight in the front end, then maybe adjustable control arms to push that front axle forward and return it to its original position will fix your problem.

Sorry if you already knew all of this, Wayne, but maybe some folks who are new to Jeepin' or to Jeep mods will benefit from this post.

Tom
    I'm going to attempt to sell it on e-bay for $1000.00 and just hope and pray no ones buys it.

Up it to $1,500 and tell her you're tyring to make a profit -- so you can buy her stuff! ;)

tidester, host
  • 99tj99tj Member Posts: 187
    I may have to drop it into 4 low to get out of my driveway! :surprise: just kidding...I hope.

We're pushing 2feet out here in CT. Been quite a while since I've seen that much snow.

-Dan
    Tidester, you "da" man:)

That is great advise.....$1500.00 it is and I'll keep ya posted.

Perhaps you have saved my 33 year marriage and my winch.

Be safe, and keep up the good work.

Rebel38
    Marietta, GA.
  • dmoneydmoney Member Posts: 2
    Is it in anyway possible for the emergency brake (floor emergency brake) in my jeep to release on it's own if it is fully engaged on flat ground? It's never had any problems before. Someone "thought" they saw it release on it's own. Can anyone help me?
    Yes, I've heard of this and there was a recall to fix the problem.

The recall was titled "B03 SEP 02 / Recall - Parking Brake Pedal Assembly Replacement", and any dealer should be able to check if it's been done on your vehicle.
  • dmoneydmoney Member Posts: 2
    Thank you so much for your quick response. There was a situation the other night when I parked my jeep on the upper part of a parking lot and even with my e brake completely secured it released somehow and rolled into my best friends car and totalled it. Yikes. A couple of days later that friend claims she saw it pop on its own while alone in my car. I assumed the accident occured because of vandalizim. Thank you again for the information. It will be very helpful.
  • gman1259gman1259 Member Posts: 209
    A couple of weeks ago my wife was driving the Wrangler to Redlands for a bike ride. On the way there she was driving East on the 91 Freeway when a car swerved into her lane. My wife veered to the right, into the shoulder, hit some sand and fish tailed; then she over corrected losing control. She did three 360s before coming to a stop in the middle of the freeway.

Two miracles happened: 1) All the traffic behind her came to a stop without hitting her and 2) the Wrangler did not roll over.

Unfortunately, after all that, during her bike ride one of the other riders ran into her back tire throwing her off the bike, sending her the emergency room.link title
    Your wife is very lucky to not have rolled over. That is one bad day she had. I am glad to hear she will be ok.
    You Jeep is a manual? I hardly ever use my e-brake. I always leave it in gear. Most of my parking isn't at very steep angles. I would defintely leave it in gear and of course it doesn't hurt to set the e brake also.

When I am out the trails I never get out with it running and just set the e-brake, unless it is level ground. Even if I get out for a second, I turn it off in gear and set the e-brake. I will even chalk the tires with a rock or angle the wheels to where I would hit a tree or towards the upside slope.
  • tyoshutyoshu Member Posts: 31
    I finally got the go ahead from the boss, we all know who the boss is, to get a wrangler. I am going to the dealership tonight to test drive a sport and a rubi! Can't wait....

JB
  • mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    Wow! What a scary thing that was! Your wife is very lucky.

The one thing I've found is that the Wrangler (especially the Unlimited) is more stable than it feels. Not that I would recommend driving it like a sports car, but I've been in 2 different situations where I thought I risked rolling, and stayed upright. I think sometimes the car makers do themselves a dis-service by making SUVs that feel very car-like but still have high centers of gravity. At least the Wrangler FEELS unstable so people are more likely to ease off it and drive safely.