Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado/GMC Sierra - Owners hangout

Comments

• mjoy1mjoy1 Member Posts: 11
    Must we start this [non-permissible content removed] all over again? Go bother someone else prick. In case you can't tell nobody here cares to listen to what you have to say. We like our trucks, and you like yours. Everybody has some problems occasionally. I have had my Sierra for a year, only problem is the intermediate steering shaft. My dad just bought a new Tundra 4 months ago and complains about all the squaks and noises when it first starts up and during turning. I don't believe they make a perfect truck. So save it for someone else.
  • bamatundrabamatundra Member Posts: 1,583
    My Tundra doesn't knock - in fact, it has been flawless for the 2 years I have owned it.

My father in law just bought a new 2500 Silverado Crew Cab with the 6.0L. He says that every morning when he starts it - it sounds like someone is pounding on the side of his engine with a hammer. It does this for several minutes before getting quieter.

He asked the dealer and was told that it was normal - that all Chevy 6.0L do it. They explained that it takes awhile for the hydraulic lifters to pump up when they are cold. It sounds like a load of B.S. to me.
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    >My Tundra doesn't knock - in fact, it has been flawless for the 2 years I have owned it.<

It sounds like a load of B.S. to me, too.
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240

Warn shackle and a 30 foot 2" 20K lb tow strap

For those times i need to pull less capable trucks out of sticky situations (Tim just in case you get stuck give me a call haha)
    My Tundra HAS been perfect. I really don't care whether you believe it or not.

I'm not here to talk about Tundras. I don't know why some people want to turn this into a brand war. I am interested in finding out more about Chevs from Chev owners.

Quad - you had two intermediate steering shafts replaced on your truck. Does this problem affect only 4WDs? Has GM done anything to address this problem?

Your rear slider also leaked. Chevy discontinued rear sliders. Do you think that Chevy will figure out how to make rear sliders and reintroduce them in the future?
  • kg11kg11 Member Posts: 530
    you turned this into a brand war in the TOTY page.When I stated "I don't consider the Tundra a real 1/2 ton"you twisted my words to say the full sized GM wasn't .You're not interested in finding out more about chevys,you just want to insult them in a very childish fashion.(shakerado,etc)
    Since you clearly didn't understand my definition of "full sized" let me explain.The "big 3" offer 1/2 ton ENTRY LEVEL full sized trucks which may or maynot be more capable than Tundra.I'm not talking about those differences,now or ever.What I'm saying is you can add to a real full size 'till it'll carry massive loads.You can get bigger engines and towing capacities.You can get adults into the back seat!
    Tundra IS the up-sized toyota.I test drove one,and if I wanted a light duty truck with no rear seating I might have bought one.But then I've already got the tacoma.
    kip
    Sorry for the misunderstanding. I thought that we were comparing 1/2 tons. The Silverado 1/2 ton is no any more capable than the Tundra IMHO, but I am not here to talk about Tundras.

I STILL have not received an answer from Quad on the intermediate shafts and rear slider. He is really lying low on this one! Funny!
  • tonyytonyy Member Posts: 26
    I am fairly new to this forum, posted a couple of messages for advice on the 1500HD, received some reasonable responses (would like to hear more), thanks. Now that I have perused a lot of the dialog on several sites I have developed some concern from the reported engine knock with the 6.0. I drive my vechiles for a long time (84 toy 4X4 still going strong & a 92 F250 for sale if I buy the 1500/2500). Should I be concerned (I am) about ordering this truck? Should I opt for extended warranty? And can someone explain the engineering and or physics of why an aluminum head on an iron block won't cause excessive gasket torment when the the coefficient of thermal expansion of aluminum is twice that of iron?
  • mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    don't like Aluminum heads....for long term at least..

my 6.0 (early 2000) has the Cast Iron heads..and was a feature I liked...but they too went to aluminum like the 5.3.

I suppose todays engines are different.....mine seems to run rock solid for temp and has been purrrfect for 46,000 miles..

used to be aluminum heads were shot at 100K......but perhaps I am going too farr back?..

My 6.0 has the slight knock on cold start up...but has not effected anything....so who cares?..it goes away very quickly...engine is running/wearing fine....no oil use...what was concern again?

haha

I didn't get the extended warranty.....I figure once in a while somebody actually needs it......but if most people needed it.....they wouldn't be making money off them and wouldn't sell them...

Good luck

- Tim
  • xyz71xyz71 Member Posts: 179
    Automobile magazine picks the Chevy Silverado / GMC Sierra as the best full size pickup for the third year in a row. Most people don't rely on magazine articles to decide what car / truck they buy - but you must admit that to win the award three years in a row the trucks from GM must be doing something right.

erikheiker

I do not have an engine block heater - but if you do and that is where it is located it answers my question - thanks.
  • gt1953gt1953 Member Posts: 7
    I have often wondered why the two brand of clone like trucks. Kinda like why Mercury never produce a truck but GMC did. Is it the status of GM corp? well I dunno.
  • xyz71xyz71 Member Posts: 179
    IMO - GMC brand was originally created to give the Buick, Pontiac and Olds dealers a way to sell trucks.
  • mledtjemledtje Member Posts: 1,123
    Eric, I thought the GMC brand was older than the Chevrolet brand.

Growing up in Iowa, my dad was a mechanic at a Cadillac/Olsmobile/GMC dealership. I thought GMC was the only kind of truck other than the big KW's, White's and Pete's.

Mike L
  • gator36gator36 Member Posts: 294
    A long time ago. Stands for Graebel & M???? ????
    Not sure, saw it in GMC Directions awhile ago.
  • mentor34mentor34 Member Posts: 60
    Strongly considering ordering a 2500HD 4X4 Extended Cab, any other owners out there with any would of/could of/should haves on their trucks? I'll do some towing of 4-8000lbs in the summer, 2,000 lbs in the winter. My only big concern is the reports of knocking with the 6.0L, I'm hoping that this has been resolved on the 2002's.
    I remember it standing for General Motors Coach. Could be wrong.

The GM website lists the history as starting is 1902 as the Rapid Motor Vehicle Company. That evolved into the truck arm of GM. In 1912 the GMC nameplate was first used on GM trucks.

See the website at:

http://www.gmc.com/history/index.html

Mike L

• y2kgmcy2kgmc Member Posts: 23
    Does anyone know part # and if it is possible to put cupholder in spot below lighter on 2001 2500HD ext cab, the seat mounted cupholders are kinda low..... Thanks Ed
  • emptyempty Member Posts: 14
    Grabowski Motor Corp
    at least as named in the trivia file of some forgettable car talk show. Could be a prank.
  • modvptnlmodvptnl Member Posts: 1,352
    GMC= Gotta Mechanic Coming. j/k LOL!!!!
    That could be right. Max Grabowsky was the founder of the Rapid Motor Vehicle Company that evolved into GM.

Mike L
  • lentzedlentzed Member Posts: 2
    Perhaps I should have posted my dilemma concerning trailer wiring for electric brakes; converting a sierra w'o tow package. Please see Silverado/Sierra Trailer Wiring board if you are knowledgable. Thanx.
  • doverarjimdoverarjim Member Posts: 23
    I thought it stood for "Great Mountain Climber" or it sometimes could be "General Mound of Crap" I like the first best and that seems to be what mine old truck was most of the time.
  • hunter98hunter98 Member Posts: 273
    Yes it is possible, and I have done it. I do not know the part numbers, go to your local GM parts counter and have them look it up. It is about $50, and takes about 30 min to install. Love having 4 cupholders up front.

Hunter
  • txyank1txyank1 Member Posts: 1,010
    with the Pro-tek bed. At first I thought the inside which looks like a bediner was the only part plastic, but apparently it's just separate from the outer part. There's a seam at the middle of the top bedsail. Done very neatly. The tailgate is also plastic and the "Chevrolet" is molded in. BUT, I don't think I'd pay $850 for it.
  • gm02gm02 Member Posts: 49
    I decided to go with a Pro-tec box on my order, trck due mid-Feb.
    My thought was I would be spending at least $400-500 for a spray on liner. But w/the Pro-Tec you get so much more added protection since it won't rust or dent. It cost me $720. I did it without even seeing one, finally saw one a couple of weeks ago and I agree with you, it was done very neatly and I'm glad it is on it's way!!!

One down side is I can't get a retractable cover as I really had hoped for as the bed has no bed rails. I'll have to figure something out!!

Have several pictures of the box if anyone is interested.
  • ricschricsch Member Posts: 540
    got a link to them? I'd like to see them.
    makes sense. I would prefer to not have the tailgate embossed as I always remove everything for a smoother look. I probably should add some "performance stickers". Actually I do have a "Tweety Bird" decal. My Grandaughter likes it. Wonder how much HP that adds!
  • bcnetbcnet Member Posts: 14
    Follow this link:

http://www.chevrolet.com/silverado/index.htm

Click "Exterior" link under large Silverado heading. Then click "Strength & Duribility" near bottom left. The finally there is a link to "Pro-TEC Box". (Sorry - Don't think it is possible to have direct link b/c of Java style links)

box pictures has been completed. The trck was on a lot at a near by dealer. http://www.PictureTrail.com/gm02

txyank1....I agree w/you on the embossed tailgate! A little surprised as I think the base model comes that way.
    Only draw backs in getting the Pro-Tec for me personally, were the embossed tailgate, no bed rails and unable to order it w/2 tone paint. Still feel the advantages will out weigh the disadvantages....time will tell.
  • ricschricsch Member Posts: 540
    Pics look good. I would have to think the roll-top cover manuf. can make them work with that box.
    Why GM embossed the Chevrolet name on the tailgate is a good question, if they would have left it a smooth style like the stock metal one, they could use them for the GMC also. Just like the tailgate protector, why two different styles?
  • lspangler1lspangler1 Member Posts: 68
    I like the looks of the plastic box but how do you attach any type of cover to it? Most attach with clamps to the bedrail.
    the tailgate is that the "Spoiler" appears to be part of it, molded in. Meaning you'd have to find a hard bed cover (if so desired) that fits over or on it in some way. I've never seen one lke that.
    BTW.....the Snugtop I had used brackets at the front that were bolted to the bed. And then you have the brackets on the side that the rod snaps in to that are also bolted to the bed. For an additional $60 or $80 they have a model that does attach with clamps. No drilling.
    molded in as part of the tailgate. Looks real sharp, not sure why the stainless steel strip was needed, thought it took a little something away from the overall appearance.

I know on the retractable covers the spoiler wouldn't be an issue as the cover will only go as far as the end of the bed and the tailgate has no bearing on the cover. It would be the mounting of it is the ?. Have forwarded the pictures to Roll-N-Lock www.rollnlock.com and Retrax www.rolltopcover.com to see what suggestions they may have.

Also have been bugging GM on what their plans are for a cover since they altered from the standard trck bed design(no rails). Have the GM Rep for NE also looking into it.
    a month early BUT I won't complain!!!

My '02 Pewter Lt Metallic Silverado LS 2WD Ext cab short bed with Pro-Tec box, automatic, 4.8L, Deep tint glass, RW defroster, 3.73, G80, Elect Traction Assist, Elect Conv Pkge, and Cast Alum wheels.....HAS ARRIVED!!!

Over all experience wasn't too bad just a little confusing at times....here is how it all unfolded:
    11/15 - placed order
    12/22 - order is accepted
    01/07 - production to start wk of 1/14
    01/15 - production under way this wk, no other status known but still not to late cancel order if I wanted to....per GM
    01/23 - production completed on 1/16, trck in QA
    01/25 - trck arrives at dealer
    01/26 - I get call from dealer trck has been delivered
    01/28 - I GLADLY drive trck home
    ....something somewhere just doesn't seem to make sense but I'll just enjoy the trck for now. Already have a lot of toys to start putting on.....right after a few coats of wax get applied!!!!!

real sweeeeeeet truck!!!
    Mine came in early but i didnt complain. Even better

ENJOY!

Also can you snap some pics of it?
  • gvoigtgvoigt Member Posts: 63
    I didn't have to wait, I picked mine right off the lot and got everything I wanted except someone else to make the payments. It is nice to have a dealer who knows what to stock in a truck.

Turned 10k couple days ago...and it turned a year older too. No bitches or complaints as of yet, other than the fact is it stays dirty all the time from the salt and grime on the road. Spring is coming...good thing it got plenty of wax last fall. Can't wait to give'r a good cleaning inside and out.

Gonna add a cross bed tool box next week, too much stuff accumulating in the rear of the cab. My German Shepard figures if her seat is full she should sit in mine. Does make for some interesting looks goin down the road! LOL
  • mkuettelmkuettel Member Posts: 2
    Looking for information about a factory 1-1/2" adjustment kit my dealer says exists to level the front end on a '02 1500 Z71, but won't give me the part number for it. Anyone know what is included in the kit? I would like to know what I'm paying for.
    check with your dealership there is a TSB about crossbed toolboxes. Supposedly there is a needed bracket
    Never heard of a factory lift kit - probably, he wants to crank up the torsion bars and charge you a bunch for it.

You can adjust the torsion bars yourself. Crawl under the truck and find the backend of the torsion bars. Inside the crossmember at the end of the bars you will find a big adjuster bolt. Turn both adjusters 4-5 turns clockwise. Re adjust your headlights afterwards, and check your wheel alignment.

If you are ever going to carry a load in your truck, you might not want to do this. Level when empty equals back end down when loaded. GM sets the back high so it will level out when loaded.

It is a truck and you do use it to carry loads, right? Or is it just a big, macho car?
    there is an aftermaket front end lift. It replaces your torsion bar keys. Not much in the kit but it is pricey $150
  • dch0300dch0300 Member Posts: 472
    Can you elaborate on the TSB about crossbed tool boxes and the needed bracket?
    I've had my Adrian Steel single lid crossover tool box on my truck for 8 months now. It took about 40 minutes to install myself and not one bit of trouble in doing so, and I've had no problems with it what-so-ever.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    I posted the tsb over in the silverado topic about a week to 10 days ago.
    Exactly what I was thinking

- Tim
  • truckchictruckchic Member Posts: 105
    Hi Guys! Remember me?
    It's been a while since I've been on here, too busy at work!
    Question: Anyone have a plow on their truck?
    I have the 2001 GMC Sierra 1500 4 WD 4 Door. (Just put a Rhino Lining in it)
    I was considering getting a plow for next year, but what do I look for. And, does it damage or wear the truck faster?
    I know absolutely NOTHING about plows or blades (whatever you call them) so any advise or assistance would be helpful.

Truckchic
    warranty on drivetrain and other components may b voided because a plow on ext cab half tons are not supposed to be used (according to gm basically to save their butt)

If you do get one you will need higher rated tbars, maybe a higher output alternator

Talk to you dealer or a plow dealer to help you better
  • sonjaabsonjaab Member Posts: 1,057
    I have plowed for 11 plus years. Used 1/2
    ton Gms.....Be warned GM does NOT want you
    to plow with a 99 & up 1/2 ton x-cab. They will
    not warranty any plow related breakage !
    Ask the dealer you bought your truck from.
    Some dealers don't care. You may get lucky.
    Thats why I had to go to a 01 2500 xcab this
    time. I traded a 97 Chevy xcab 1/2 that i
    used for plowing. But lucky me that 97
    saw a GM dealer once...for a broken windsheild
    wiper and a free oil change.
    As far as plows i have had a Western 8 ft.
    plow. Used it on 4 new GM trucks....Sold
    it to my buddy....I got a new 8 ft.Western
    Ultramount on my 01.......
    Check out www.plowsite.com
    Lots of plowheads and good advise over
    there.....Good luck............Geo
    .....Plowing is a lot more than just dropping and lifting a blade and going forward and backward...

one of the early things you learn is.....put the first plowing as farr back as ya can.....when nasty weather hits again and again...you can be stuck with no place to put the crud!..

and a 3/4 is really the way to go....as it is hard on a vehicle....

- Tim
  • sonjaabsonjaab Member Posts: 1,057
    why GM does not offer VYU plow prep
    on 1/2 xcab ...GVW gross vehicle weight
    Gm assumes you will plow with 6 passengers
    and the plow and exceed the 6400? lb.
    GVW on a new xcab. Weird huh ?
    But you can get the VYU plow prep on a
    GM 1/2 ton reg cab tho.............
  • dch0300dch0300 Member Posts: 472
    Sorry for asking about something that was posted 10 days ago in ANOTHER TOPIC.
    Like that has never happened before.
    Guess I should spend more time on this site surfing with you guys and reading every post in every topic rather than wanting to spend the time with my wife, children, or at my engineering job which involves designing telecommunications systems and supporting the delivery flights of new $150 million jumbo jets!!!

Time to go fly on a new 767-300 for Delta Airlines which we will deliver to them tomorrow....see you on the ground boys.
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    Never thought of that one! Plowing with six people! If you gave 'em shovels, they could be dangerous!
This discussion has been closed.