Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado/GMC Sierra - Owners hangout

Comments

• ghostrideghostride Member Posts: 2
    which 2001 Chevy truck to buy. 2001 SB,ExtCab 4X4 (loaded) 2500 w/ 5.3 or 1500 w/ 6.0. Don't trailer over 5000 lbs and will probally supercharge whatever I buy...so is the 2500 really going to last me longer due to the increased size of the individual components? I would get the 2500 with the 5.3 but it is not offered in 2001.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    neither is the 6.0 in a 1500 less you want to spend $40 for a C3.
  • mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    what I was thinking....unless he means the 1500HD?

- Tim
  • eric2001eric2001 Member Posts: 482
    2500 didn't have 5.3 ever, and the 1500HD is a Crew Cab only, so must be the C3 - answered your own question?!?!
    -Eric
    2500 Did have a 5.3

..in 99/2000.....Non-HD style body...7200 GVW 5.3 2WD

- Tim
    ray had a 5.3 2500 '00 silverado. Black if my memory serves me correctly. and yep 2wd only.
  • paintdudepaintdude Member Posts: 15
    I traded my 98 chevy Z71 exCab in on this truck..It stickered for 34000.00...No problems except for the windshield seems to be a rock magnet..One chip repair already and a few nics..1000 miles...Going to Daytona 2200 miles round trip in a week or so pulling a tandem trailer 7 by 12,elec brakes,7 ft high,around 5000 lbs..It towed the trailer on a test run in Tow/haul most excellent..I really like this truck...

Lloyd
  • hunter98hunter98 Member Posts: 273
    2000 1500 GMC Sierra Ext Cab SB 4x4 Slt 4 dr 5000+ lbs empty. 5.3L 3.73 265x75R16 Michelins. Drove 450 Miles to Louiville Ky. Last weekend. Myself and Dad in the truck. Drove 65-72 MPH, got 13.7 mpg. I average per tank around 13 and range from 11-14.5. My 99 with the 5.3 got a good 2mpg plus better mpg under identical conditions. It was a 3 dr and weighed a few pounds less. Every motor and truck is different.

If you are that concerned with gas milage buy a new 2wd ext cab 4.3L auto 3.42 rear end. And you should get 20+ on the highway.

Best of luck

Hunter
    16 city
    18 hwy
    lead foot
  • 87lion87lion Member Posts: 166
    2WD x-cab, auto, LB, 3.42. I'm getting about 17-18 mixed driving, over 21 highway.
    Have you checked your vin number for calibration updates..That could help your mileage.. http://calid.gm.com/vci/
  • chevy4mechevy4me Member Posts: 203
    16 mpg mixed driving around 19 mpg highway empty
    average miles per hour 24.50 (per hour meter)

Dean What is your mph avg.?
  • titus1titus1 Member Posts: 45
    for the extended cab is probably the best setup for fuel economy. definately not the V6 though.
    here to help
    Rick
    I have to disagree on the fact of the V6 not being the best fuel economy. I know several people with the six banger that get 20+ all the time. Look over the posts on edumunds and other sites. They get really good milage with the 3.42 or 3.08 rear end. Why would it "definately not be the V6" V6 200 hp, 4.8L 270 hp. when at peak rpms. HP cost milage, plain and simple, as long as the motor isn't lugging. V6 in an empty 2wd truck, 3.42 rear is ideal. I will stick to my 5.3L and live with it, but my next truck will most likely be a CC duramax in about a year.

Hunter
  • titus1titus1 Member Posts: 45
    you're basing your facts on the V6 by what you read on the boards? LOL

ask people that have one in real life and you'll find that it gets no better mileage than the 4.8.
    how often does someone run at max rpm/hp? down around the real rpm, where both engines are run, you'll find that the 4.8 and V6 are comparable. put them on a shallow incline and the V6 starts suffering. not that everyone drives on inclines either, but that the V6 will always have to rev higher to push that size truck under a lot of conditions that the owner is bound to use it for. therefore, if you talk to people that made the mistake of buying the V6 equipped ext. cabs, you'll find that an honest answer to gas mileage is that the V6 does no better, probably worse.
    here to help
    Rick
  • thomasb2thomasb2 Member Posts: 5
    Mileage in my '99 Chevy Astro AWD is horrible. Great power and great vehicle but I get the same mileage as my '86 K-20 pickup with Rochester 4bbl in warm weather! Go with the 4.8!
  • gabby5gabby5 Member Posts: 7
    bought 2 2000 ext. cabs for work trucks with V6 that he now is trying to sell. they get terrible gas mileage. put a about 1,200 lbs. in the back and forget it, especially if going uphill.
  • lgiuniplgiunip Member Posts: 2
    Peanut on Post #115 indicated he knew of a dealer willing to sell for $200 under invoice. Are there any such dealers in South Georgia or North Florida areas. Secondly, how would you price a 2000 Sierra with 6000 miles small v8 and sportside package?
  • dch0300dch0300 Member Posts: 472
    paintdude,
    When I type in my VIN # at the GM Vehicle Calibration Information web site I get a list of Calibration History for a many items (Operating System Software, Engine Calibration, etc.) and in each one if the items there is a list for Part Number, CVN, Bulletin #, and Description. Some of the items have numbers in them, but some of the CVN and Bullletin # have N/A.
    How do I tell if I need the update or not?
    What does CVN mean?

-David
    I stand corrected.
    If there is a part number for your vin..That means it is an update for your truck..My truck has 2 updates available for it..I will wait till it needs something else or more updates before I have the dealer mess with it...
  • gadamssrgadamssr Member Posts: 1
    I'm considering a 2001 Sierra C3. Has anyone driven one, priced one, or purchased one? I've been quoted $300 over invoice - which sounds like a decent price for a limited production vehicle. Comments?
  • minikinminikin Member Posts: 389
    Also just posted this on the accessory (?) board -- The theory's worse than practical reality. Been tuning the front end height of Chevy 4X4s by adjusting the torsion bars for 15+ years with no substantive negative steering geometry, ride, or tire wear effects (except the older S-10's which worked better with the ball joints relocated at full lift). The current generation 1500 Silverado's are worse than past models for nose down rake unloaded, but with six full turns on the bars to almost level out the front end the camber and toe still stay well within spec and the ride and handling is unaffected; at least with the Z-71 retrofitted with a decent set of shocks.
    -- Don
  • blacksilverblacksilver Member Posts: 69
    If you're going to haul or tow anything (why else would you have a truck?) the V6 gets really LOUSY gas mileage, and doesn't have enough power to get out it's own way. It's a loser!

Probably the best mileage combo is the 5.3 2WD with 3.42 gears, or the 4.8L with 3.73 gears.
    Obviously 4.8 3.42 AND 5 speed manual. Don't think they make it that way anymore though...
  • dmdbitdmdbit Member Posts: 23
    I agree with Oby. I have an ext.cab 2wd with the 4.8 and 5spd.I consistently get 20.5 mpg back and forth to work. My trip is mostly interstate.My highest tank was 23 which was a trip empty.

mike b
  • tucsonjwttucsonjwt Member Posts: 265
    I get 20 mpg city/ 27+ mpg highway(3.42 / auto/2wd) but I always drive with an empty box - use the truck only as a commuter. Worst gas mileage was 18 city, when I let the truck idle to warm it up many times. I drive conservatively, most people don't. For light loads and light towing, a V6 is fine, especially with the new tow/haul transmission. When I want to haul heavy loads I use my 73 3/4 ton 454 beater. When it dies I'll rent a truck when I need to put a load on it.
    How many people haul heavy loads every day with their truck? Maybe 5%. Most people use their trucks like cars. When you haul/tow heavy loads you put a lot of wear on your truck - I would rent a truck if I was going to really abuse it. The V8 is a macho thing - mine is bigger than yours - each to his or her own. Rent a V6 from UHaul, load it up, see how it goes. Then make an informed decision for yourself. Renting any vehicle for a weekend before you buy it is always the best way to check out a new vehicle before you lay your money down.
  • falknorfalknor Member Posts: 27
    If a V6 meets your needs that what you need but I wouldn't have one. A V8 is not always a macho thing as I have a 5th wheel and a gooseneck and haul my tractor and other items on it, and a V6 would be useless to me. Making that kind of statement just goes to show that you think others have the same needs as you. I guess your 73 454 was a macho thing for you but not for alot of us. Happy motoring to you. Dave
  • erikheikererikheiker Member Posts: 230
    Why do some people have to put labels on others just because they think differently? There are a range of engines available because different people have different needs. Yes, most of the time my truck is empty, but I don't mind having a 5.3 all the time. There will be times when I'll be really glad I have one. Even if it's just because of the mountainous terrain we have here. I made my decision and I have no regrets. Please don't fault me for it just because you have something different.
    for mostly dry commuting.....oh well....I'm just a hog I guess?....but the 3/4 suspension comes in very handy for me a whole lot of times...don't have to rent a beater either...

LOL

..who cares what each other get?....can't we all just get along?

- Tim
    I you pull a big trailer - a V6 is the wrong choice.
    If you live in the mountains - a V6 is not for you.
    If you just want a 3/4 ton 6.0 - a V6 is not for you.
    These are all understandable needs/wants for a V8.
    If the question is "Do you have to have a V6 or the truck is lousy?" The is answer is no.
    This started with someone asking "opinions" on V6 vs. V8.
    I have the 454 for the rare occasions when I abuse a truck (10 times a year?). That is the only time I need a V8.
    My response is based on the absolute statement that you MUST have a V8 in your full size pickup, and that V6 gas mileage is no better than, and probably worse than a V8 - my experience is different.
    It's best to lighen up on these matters. Each to his or her own - happy motoring :)
  • dch0300dch0300 Member Posts: 472
    Last weekend my dad took his 2001 Silverado 1500, LT, ext-cab, Z-71, 5.3L , 3.73 axle for a long highway trip. At 75 mph he got 18 mpg. He currently has 3,500 miles on it.

My 2001 Silverado 1500, LS, ext-cab, Z-71, 5.3L, 3.73 axle has only been driven 50% city and 50% highway, never any long highway trips. I only have 1,750 miles on it and I average 15.7 mpg for that combination driving.

-David
  • rdavenport1rdavenport1 Member Posts: 14
    you get 20 and 27 mpg? that's amasing, since they estimate 17 and 23 mpg, and to get to get the estimated mpg is something rarely seen by even the best drivers. what's your secret?
    Rick
  • mledtjemledtje Member Posts: 1,123
    My 99 1500 4x4 4.8L 5spd 3.73 is rated at 15/19mpg. On the open road, I get 20-22mpg. Around town I get 15mpg. It's easy to get good mileage on the highway - get out of an area where they use oxygenated gas, cruise at 65, and drive 100+ miles between stops.

My dad gets 20+ mpg with his 2000 1500 2wd 5.3L Auto 3.42. His 99 was similarly equipped (except it had 3.73 gears) and got the same mileage.

Mike L
    This one (2001 LT - 5.3L 2WD, 3.42 locker rear) gets 20MPG highway empty, about 17MPG highway pulling my boat.

• brduckbrduck Member Posts: 2
    I've owned 3 SUVs over the past 15 years and I'm ready to switch to a full size pickup. Of course, I want a Chevy/GMC. Could someone enlighten me on what the differences are between the Chevy 1500 2WD extended cab and the GMC 1500 2WD extended cab? THANKS
    Different front grille, wheels, and badges.

See my truck in msg 185.

That's a 2001 Chev "Silverado LT" 1500 2WD four-door extended cab. The GMC version is called a "Sierra SLT" and would be exactly the same truck. Price would be within $100 either way.
    go down the same line....made by the same guys

- Tim
    They tell me the hood and front fenders are different also..To accomidate the different headlamps and grill...
    ...it's only the very tip of them...

- Tim
  • lgiuniplgiunip Member Posts: 2
    I am looking into purchasing a new Silverado 4x4 with short wheel base. Does anyone have any suggestions for dealers who would work with invoice pricing?
  • willimjowillimjo Member Posts: 73
    Just about any dealer will sell a 1500 right now for no more than $100 over invoice less rebates. The 2500HD are typically going for $500-$1000 over invoice, no rebates available.
  • quadcab4x4quadcab4x4 Member Posts: 44
    Blacksilver, nice truck but why 2wd? By the looks of things you could use the 4x4...

Allen-
    size pickup (V6 or V8) I wouldn't believe them. BUT - I drive very conservatively - here's how:
    CAUTION: LONG POST AHEAD
    I drive to work and running errands only with this vehicle(very few highway trips) and use these methods:
    1) Take off slow from a stoplight (I'm really not in a big hurry to get to/from work or the supermarket.
    2) Anticipate the traffic lights coming up - why floor the accelerator only to stop and wait at the next light?. I often see people pass me after the light changes, only to see them stopped directly in front of me at the next light.
    3) Watch your tach - it tells you how hard your engine is working and, consequently, how much gas your truck is burning. This tach in an automatic transmission vehicle thing is not such a pointless idea as some might think. I try to keep it at around 1K.
    4) When I drive to work at 5:30 a.m. there is light traffic on the road, so I can often set the cruise at 40 mph and catch several lights - traveling on cruise for several miles within the city limits. Yes, I actually drive the speed limit whenever possible (I got stopped for "speeding" at 5-10 mph over the limit more than once, even as other cars were passing me. Tucson's finest have my number(paranoia), and set speed traps on my route to work. I drive the middle of three lanes and let my impatient neighbors pass me on both sides. I occupy my mind by trying to guess which of the speeding vehicles passing me will be stopped waiting at the next light when I get there.)
    5) Don't use the A/C or heater/defroster unless you actually need to. Recent cold/wet weather has caused pansy reaction and I ran the truck for 5-10 minutes every morning before driving away - mileage went from 20 down to 18. Install WeatherFlectors and crack the window to get some airflow.
    6) Don't ever drive the expressway in Phoenix. Every time I drive to Phoenix I get stuck in a traffic jam and burn gas/time stopped or crawling on the expressway. My new strategy is to get of the expressway and travel surface streets as soon as I get to Phoenix. My last trip to Phoenix I spent 20-30 minutes stopped on the expressway both to and from Phoenix. This is the trip I got 27 mpg combination city/highway on - so I think strictly highway(if such a thing is possible) would actually be about 30 or more.
    7) Keep the tires inflated at the proper pressure. I ran low pressure to smooth out the ride, but it really didn't help much, and it cost 1-2 mpg. With new tires you just set the pressure once and it should hold from oil change to oil change.
    8) Use Chevron gas with Techron(don't hit me Poca) on recommendation of Chevy service advisor. After my dealer replaced one bad injector and flushed all of the others and dumped a bottle of Techron in the tank, I add a bottle of Techron at every 3K oil change. Took away any trace of rough engine idle and seems to keep it away. Use the cheapest Chevron at the pump, just to get the Techron additive. Also, don't run the gas lower than about 1/4 tank - for sure, fill up when the low fuel light comes on - who knows what crud is in the gas these days - why suck it into your injectors?
    9) Mileage can be improved by getting a 1/2 tank or less when you fill up. You are carrying extra weight when you get a full tank of gas, which is a lot of weight when you have a long bed 36 gallon tank like I have. I always get a full tank because I don't care to visit the gas station more than once a month. I probably could pick up .5 mpg with lesser tank fills. I actually got 21 mpg city with this method once, but not worth the hassle to me.
    Side Benefits: Take it easy and you are less likely to make stupid driving mistakes that can cause accidents, plus you have more reaction time.
    Lower your stress level - save your energy for your daily aerobic workout which will do you some good.
    Reduce dependency on foreign oil - if we all improve gas mileage by 15% for one month would gas prices come down? Supply and demand has not been repealed yet. Gas companies actually work on small percentage profits and large volume, so small changes in consumption really affect them quickly.
    I actually think that if I drove a V8 I would get better mileage than the average bear using the methods described above. Why not try it yourself for a tankful(or 1/2 tankful) and see for yourself (if you can tolerate the comments from your fellow motorists - just keep looking straight ahead.)
    One more thing - the V6/V8 debate will never end, but when you consider the "V6 engine discount" of $500 plus the difference in price between the V6 and the popular 5.3 V8, and the better gas mileage of a V6, that savings buys a lot of gas. There have been a few times when I had to floor the accelerator of the 'v6 to get out in traffic and with a V8 it would have been an easier acceleration - but I look back and wonder what was my hurry anyway?
    .....take off fast...pass you to be next to you at light.......rpm at 1000?....uhhhhh.....no...lemme re-think.....no..

I like my heat and air....and power...and highways...come to think of it....the reason for getting an LT 2500 6.0...

I appreciate your ways.....but I would end up going crazy...or being killed....mainly by myself!

Good luck on this one now

.....but I do applaude the person who can do that.

- Tim
    I do believe in tire rotation and inflation like it was a ritual.....no probs there....but 1/2 tank of gas?.....I hate pumping gas almost as much as washing the truck....so both will be done by me as little as possible....who has time for all that?......there is this thing called life out there!

LOL

- Tim
    ....when the Chevelle was running hot..I would turn the heater on..(it killed us in summer....but it kept us out cruising)....to lower the temp.....and the lower the temp....the more power...and more power means less RPM....which means less gas.....which means....uhhh..where is this going anyway?

LOL

- Tim
    The 2WD, locker, traction assist, and a lifetime of poor-traction driving skills learned in Minnesota winters works just fine. I get to work every day, paid $3500 less for my truck, get better gas milieage, less crap to break down, better ride, and no ugly stickers cluttering up that pretty truck.

Now why would I want 4WD?

Hans
  • quadcab4x4quadcab4x4 Member Posts: 44
    Well to each his own I guess..I live in Syracuse NY and have more snow than i know what to do with, to me the 4x4 is worth it's weight in gold..As far as those cheesy stickers, ALL but the 4x4's are gonzo..

Allen-
  • markbuckmarkbuck Member Posts: 1,021
    Great post! I couldn't disagree with any of your posts regarding maximizing fuel econ....

But why a full sized truck? Safety?
This discussion has been closed.