Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado/GMC Sierra - Owners hangout

Comments

• txyank1txyank1 Member Posts: 1,010
    are heavy enough that it's pretty much a two-man job to remove them. I had a Snugtop that fit great. It had two pins in the hinges at the front that pulled out, then after unhooking the struts cover would lift off. I never actually took it off while I had it. The one I have now has tabs at the front on the underside of the cover that slip into slotted pieces that mount to the front of the bed. So you have to open it, unhook the struts then lift it open farther as you slide it back out of the slots. Not something you want to do too often.
  • cowboyjohn1cowboyjohn1 Member Posts: 125
    Try Gaylord's in Bellflower CA. They have dealerships in various places. Theirs works very much like the Texas Yankee just described. Little tough for one person to take off, but they are strong. I just walked all over mine and it didn't give a bit.
    cowboyjohn
  • sonjaabsonjaab Member Posts: 1,057
    Check out www.lightsout.org
    Easy and FREE advise to turn off those
    PIA auto ons and DRLS............geo

BTW: 99 and some early 2ks Do not have
    the override feature by pushing in the
    button 4 times........
  • ricschricsch Member Posts: 540
    I have an ARE and would have to say it is one of the better ones available. Being that it has the clamp-on rail helps to make it somewhat easier than most since you don't need to do more than remove the four clamps securing it to the truck. At times I would rather have a cover like a Truxedo, but I like the security of the hard cover, since GM has yet failed in providing a locking tailgate like the rest of the manufacturers.
    There are a few aftermarket companies that
    sell replacement locking tailgate handles.
    Its funny tho....'Lades, Tahoes, etc have the
    same handle with a lock in it. Iwonder if they
    would fit a pick up ?...............geo
  • ricschricsch Member Posts: 540
    I'll have to check that out, not sure how difficult it would be to convert the handle to a Silverado. Would have been nice if GM could have had an access panel on the inside of the tailgate.

Picked up the new '03 last night-steering wheel radio controls are nice, as is the auto dimming rear view mirror. Otherwise not much different from my '01, other than it being a 4x4.

Wish Chevrolet would have went with the smooth talgate guard on the 1/2 tons like they have done with the 3/4 ton trucks! I'll have to get out the drill and remove the blind nuts to install the smooth one to use my hard cover.
  • downeast1downeast1 Member Posts: 18
    Just what noise does it make. My Rado Ac makes a strange sound like a sighing sound at about 1800 RPM.
  • downeast1downeast1 Member Posts: 18
    I had a 99 GMC Sierra and the dealer had to de-program the auto lock doors, you might check with a dealer and see if they can't shut off the auto headlights too.
    Visited the Chev-GMC dealer yesterday. They
    had about 100 new 03s.....Some of the 1/2s
    had the new style whaletail. It wasn't straight
    across the bottom. Itwas like notched out between
    the bolt holes. Others had the 2500 style flat cap.

RIC: you can take off your waletail...Make sure
    you get a genuine GM flat one from dealer. It
    will cover the bolt holes in gate. My bud took
    his off because of clearance probs. with cap.
    We tried the other caps from autozone etc. and
    they didn't hang down low enough to cover holes
    in tailgate but the GM one did. NOTE: all new
    GMs have he holes already in the tailgate
    anyway !.........geo
  • frostbitfrostbit Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab w/5.3L V8. I have been experiencing several problems that I could use some help with. I do not have a dealer in my town to bring it to. I am hoping some of you have had the same things happen and can shed some light on things. I would really like to find a site with a knowledgeable GM truck mechanic I can access. Here goes:

1. The "Service Engine Soon" message light is on
    constantly. I found a local shop who took a
    scan tool, found the faulty code (EVAP SYST). I
    had them clear it, which they did. Light came
    back on 2 days later, still on. Any clues?

2. This may be related: Now that it is cooler out
    (I live in Alaska), I have noticed my
    defroster output is weak. No mater where I put
    the selector, nearly all the output is on the
    the floor. I am guessing the selector is vacuum
    operated. Anyway, I get a ton of hot air when
    the engine is warm at the floor vent, but it
    is not diverting to the defroster vents at the
    windshield.

3. On several occasions, the display on the radio
    cd unit goes out. Heres the wierd part: The
    radio will play, but nothing else. Even wieder,
    you CANNOT shut the radio off. Pushing the
    little orange button does nothing. A day or two
    later, it all comes back to life and works
    just fine. Ideas??

4. I read something here some time back, but when
    it gets cold out (below 10 degrees), the rear
    cab doors won't latch shut. REALLY slamming
    SOMETIMES does it, but not always. Gets worse
    as it gets colder. Is there a fix out for this?

Would appreciate hearing from anyone experiencing
    these problems. Would like to get them ironed out.

Thanks,

Frostbit
    email: perkins@nook.net
  • needbiggertireneedbiggertire Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 2wd 1500 ext cab Silverado and want to know if 265/75R16 tires will fit with out rubbing?
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    is 275/70R16
  • mugstermugster Member Posts: 16
    1. There are about 5 different error codes for the EVAP SYS. Which code did the scan show? You could have a vacuum leak, a bad purge selenoid, etc.

2. I have had experience with the selector switch not working. I have seen dead shorts in the mode actuator door, and no signals from the control to the actuator. About the only fix is to replace the mode door actuator and/or the control module.

3. Have no clue as to the radio. I have never come across this.

4. The latches on the doors either need adjusting or replaced.

3rd and 4th Door Hard to Close When Cold (Replace Latches) #00-08-64-016
    3rd and 4th Door Hard to Close When Cold (Replace Latches)
    1999-2000 Chevrolet and GMC C/K Pickup Models (Silverado and Sierra)

Condition
    Some customers may comment that the 3rd or 4th door is hard to close when cold.

Cause
    There was a change to an internal bumper in the latch and the removal of the primary door seal internal plug.

Correction
    1. Verify proper alignment between the upper and lower striker before proceeding to the next step.
    2. Replace the upper and lower latch assemblies using the part numbers listed below. Refer to the Doors sub-section of the Service Manual.

3. Remove the primary door seal internal plug across from the lower latch assembly.

Parts Information
    Part Number Description
    15057687 Latch Asm - LH Upper
    15057688 Latch Asm - RH Upper
    15063698 Latch Asm - Lower
    Parts are currently available from GMSPO.

Warranty Information
    For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:
    Labor Operation Description Labor Time
    B4650 Latch and/or Wedge, Rear Door -Replace (Right Door-Upper and Lower) 0.6 hr
    B4652 Latch and/or Wedge, Rear Door -Replace (Left Door-Upper and Lower) 0.6 hr

Mike
  • noobie1noobie1 Member Posts: 326
    Geo mentioned after market. Check out this nifty item.

http://www.truckautoaccessories.com/acb/showdetl.cfm?&DID=9&Product_ID=26&CATID=10

-David

• jpfltawjpfltaw Member Posts: 43
    after 37,000 on the O.E.M. Tires , bought the Good Year Forteras.........HUGE mistake.

truck started to vibrate / shake and has not stopped after (2) sets of Forteras and (8) re-balance and even high speed on the truck balance. Installers / shops....GoodYear (2 different ones) - Sears - Performance shops - Specialty shops, all find that the tires are hard to balance.. The vibrations are less than in the begining, but at this point I am ready to throw these tires in a dumpster. Wish I had kept my worn out tires.

Reminds me of the 99 Shakerado I had for 10 months.....it is hard to be a chevy fan.
    after 37,000 on the O.E.M. Tires , bought the Good Year Forteras.........HUGE mistake.

truck started to vibrate / shake and has not stopped after (2) sets of Forteras and (8) re-balance and even high speed on the truck balance. Installers / shops....GoodYear (2 different ones) - Sears - Performance shops - Specialty shops, all find that the tires are hard to balance.. The vibrations are less than in the begining, but at this point I am ready to throw these tires in a dumpster. Wish I had kept my worn out tires.

Reminds me of the 99 Shakerado I had for 10 months.....it is hard to be a chevy fan.

forgot to mention, not starting 3 times for no apparent reason. Last time was Thr. 10/31 while on the way to a crucial meeting. Never make a stop before crucial meetings. Dealer on the phone was usless. So I opened the hood, then the air box........turn the key, it started up with no problem. Closed it and hauled as..........s
    Have had no problems once switching from OEM to Micheline LTX M/S.

Cheap tailgate lock....

http://www.jpcustoms.com/Productpages/lock%2099up.html

• ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    you said "it is hard to be a chevy fan."

You are having a tire problem correct? Thats not a chevy problem that is a tire problem

Id say its hard to be a goodyear fan!
  • z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    Do you know why the 2wd Silverado is limited to 275 70 16 size tire? I have 285 75 16 on my 4x4 Silverado and plan to put these (wheels and all) on my 2001 Tahoe 2wd for a trip to Colorado next month. The Firestone Wilderness LE's on the Tahoe don't look like they would be worth $.02 in the snow.

I have eye balled it and IMO the 285 75 16's will fit on the 2wd Tahoe without rubbing. The 285's are less than 1 inch wider - I don't see how an extra 1/2 inch on each side will make any difference.
    the reason is , there is always something screwed up.........currently 2000 Silverado xcab 5.3
    1. Steering wheel leather finish started peeling, replaced by dealer
    2. Sticking throttle body, fixed
    3. Wandering on the highway, 18 wheeler pass you and you gotta to hold on with both hands......fixed after 5 shop visits for alignments
    4. Headrest came apart, fixed
    5. Headliner came loose at the rt door, fixed
    6. Outside mirror shakes when on the highway, rt side real bad...left side not so bad, dealer said To Bad So Sad Throw Away The Bug Shield.
    7. Rear rt brake cable holder came loose, fixed
    8. Head rest came apart....again, out of warranty
    9. Security light comes on for no reason......passlock changed, same results...dealer can't fix..
    10. Rattle in the dash cup holder, dealer replaced.....now it squeakes
    11. DRL burned out twice
    12. Backup bulb buned out
    13. Click sound ( like a switch ), when stopping and accellerating, from rt side
    14. Driveline clunk....4 visits for lube to the shaft, now fixed since I stopped going through the "Touchless Carwash"
    15. Rear springs sagged after 3000 miles, without carrying a load, tail end dropped 2 inches, dealer advised "within specs".......fixed when I had air bags installed.
    16. ****** Cold start knock, everytime you start up...now last for about 5 min
    17. New tires and all hell breaks loose......nahh it's a chevy problem made out of cheap steel
    ( factory springs made in Mecico ) and low quality parts that causes a lot of down time for a truck that is so wimpy.

But then the 99 I had was even worse.....42 days / 17 visits, that were logged, to the dealer.

My daughter would not even consider a Chevy for her 1st new car after driving my 1985 Toyota. Like I said, GM is making it hard to buy domestic.

Sewel Chevrolet Sucks!!!
    the reason is , there is always something screwed up.........currently 2000 Silverado xcab 5.3
    1. Steering wheel leather finish started peeling, replaced by dealer
    2. Sticking throttle body, fixed
    3. Wandering on the highway, 18 wheeler pass you and you gotta to hold on with both hands......fixed after 5 shop visits for alignments
    4. Headrest came apart, fixed
    5. Headliner came loose at the rt door, fixed
    6. Outside mirror shakes when on the highway, rt side real bad...left side not so bad, dealer said To Bad So Sad Throw Away The Bug Shield.
    7. Rear rt brake cable holder came loose, fixed

8. Head rest came apart....again, out of warranty
    9. Security light comes on for no reason......passlock changed, same results...dealer can't fix..
    10. Rattle in the dash cup holder, dealer replaced.....now it squeakes
    11. DRL burned out twice
    12. Backup bulb buned out
    13. Click sound ( like a switch ), when stopping and accellerating, from rt side
    14. Driveline clunk....4 visits for lube to the shaft, now fixed since I stopped going through the "Touchless Carwash"
    15. Rear springs sagged after 3000 miles, without carrying a load, tail end dropped 2 inches, dealer advised "within specs".......fixed when I had air bags installed.
    16. ****** Cold start knock, everytime you start up...now last for about 5 min
    17. New tires and all hell breaks loose......nahh it's a chevy problem made out of cheap steel
    ( factory springs made in Mecico ) and low quality parts that causes a lot of down time for a truck that is so wimpy.

But then the 99 I had was even worse.....42 days / 17 visits, that were logged, to the dealer.

My daughter would not even consider a Chevy for her 1st new car after driving my 1985 Toyota. Like I said, GM is making it hard to buy domestic.

Forgot about it not starting 3 times for no reason.....dealer was no help, remembered that the last time, I opened up the air box and turn the key and it started with no problems. Filter is new.

Sewel Chevrolet Sucks!!!
  • minikinminikin Member Posts: 389
    265/75x16 tires will work just fine and are within the factory reprogramming limits. 285/75x16 will fit without any significant rubbing; none at all with the torsion bars jacked up about 5 rounds. 285's will require an aftermarket programmer (HP III) to get the speedo, shift points, and ABS to work accurately/right.
    -- Don
    I agree about #3. My truck like to wander alot when it is windy
    I plan to put the stock 265 70 16's back on (Tahoe) after this one 2,700 mile trip - so I will not be making adjustments to torsion bars or messing with reprograming the tranny or speedo.

When the speedo reads 70 MPH I will be going 75 - that is about how much over I normally drive - so I will just set the cruise on the legal limit and that should be about right.

Anyone know how much (or if) tire PSI changes from sea level to say 8,000 feet? Does it go up or down as you get closer to the clouds?
    Good luck with adjusting the torsion bars on a 2wd Tahoe. That's if you can find them.....
    The 2001 Tahoe (both 4x4 & 2wd) have torsion bars - the same set up as the 4x4 Silverado. By the tone of your post I am guessing you think that the 2wd model does not have them. They do -
    Went back and looked at your original question. Sorry, I was telling you something you already know; I was referring to 4x4s. Don't really know if the 285's will fit the 2wd, but since you have all the parts, it should be worth a try. They will throw your shift points and abs function off noticeably along with the speedo and odo, though. I would have guessed the same as Oby on the front suspension; thought 2wd had coil springs up front. As for tire pressure -- I guess theory says it ought to increase as you climb. As a practical matter, I've run my truck down onto the flatlands from the 6000ft I call home on vacation two years in a row during the summer without having to adjust pressures. Too bad you can't just take the 4x4. 8000 ft in Colorado can turn nasty pretty quick this time of year.
    -- Don
    I had my alignment shop dial in bit more caster than spec. It helped the wandering/wind thing.
    -- Don
    Torsion bars and recirculating ball steering on the 2wd tahoes. If I read it corrrectly. What ever happened to the rack and pinion? I'd still be curious to see if the 285's can fit. Are the 2 and 4wd tahoes the same height out of the factory?
    Id like to see a pic. Honestly if they fit can you take a pic.

Thanks
    Still have rack & pinion. The 4x4 sits about 2.5" taller than a 2wd. A little of this is due to larger tires - but not much.

Don
    Took the 4x4 to Colorado last year - it did come in handy as I spent several hundred miles driving in heavy snow. It had been 15 years since I drove in snow - going up hill the was never a problem - but coming down was more than a little scary. That is the reason I want better tires for the trip this year. I will post a picture if they fit - but that will not be until around Christmas - if they don't fit I guess the wife will just have to be happy with Michelin LT M&S under the tree this year!!
  • txyank1txyank1 Member Posts: 1,010
    and Silverados on local Dealers lot with 285's. Although not on Factory rims. As I recall, both my Nephew and Brother-in-Law had 285's on the factory rims on their new '99 Silverado and Sierra.
    22K miles on my 285s on stock rims

• qzs4vbqzs4vb Member Posts: 14
    The 285's will fit. I know a couple different people with 285's on stock rims no problems. I work with a guy who has 305/70/16's on his stock wheels. That might be pushing it but they look great.
  • dch0300dch0300 Member Posts: 472
    Are those BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A's on your truck? If so, how do you like them on wet, or ice/snow pavement?
    How is that possible? On the rock, I've just hit 40K. You need to get out more...or lend the truck to your brother...haha!
    "lend the truck to your brother"

Yea i am hiding my keys at night for this very reason. The low miles (31K now) is because my longest trips are to work (8 miles) and to school 2 miles exactly

"how do you like them on wet, or ice/snow pavement?"

Yes they are BFG ATS

They are great tires. Actually driving home from the place that the pic was taken it was raining/sleeting. No problems at all. Leaving 2 toll booths i punched it and i couldnt believe the traction i got. Probably a little to much. As for snow i can get by alot of the time in 2wd because of the traction and the locker
    oh yea my next set however will probably be goodyear MTRs because they are some mean looking tires :)
    Do I have this backasswards -

Putting larger tires on a truck will change the shift point?

My thought - if the computer tells the tranny to shift - say from 1st to 2nd at 1500 RPM with the truck going 10 MPH (stock tires) - if I put larger tires on - won't the computer still tell the truck to shift at 1500 RPM - but the truck will be going 11 MPH. I don't see the problem. Holding a lower gear a bit longer would be what I would do if I had a manual tranny and I had larger tires on the truck. I could not see shifting at a lower RPM.

As for ABS - why does this even matter - the wheels are either locked up or not locked up.

Any thoughts?
  • shamptonshampton Member Posts: 53
    Well, in my neck of the woods (Buffalo, NY) --- we are getting ready for winter. I'm planning on replacing my '00 1500 Ext Cab 4WD with the '03 2500 Ext. Cab 4WD this month.

What type of plow are you folks using with this truck? I've used a Boss V-Plow on my FIT's F350 --- but have never owned one myself.

I plan to do some light commercial work (apartment complexes) and light residential work.

Thanks in advance for any advice!!!
    when you need them?
    out waiting for it to snow :)

Only have had sleet here so far
    Fri, Sat, and Sunday ! 1 Foot snow and ice
    in some areas ! Power lines down, Schools
    closed on Fri. Raining today snow gone !
    01 Chevy 2500, 8 ft western plow with turkey
    wings ! Workin, hard showing those toy boys
    a REAL truck !

HAMPTON: Check out www.plowsite.com
    Lotsa Plowheads over there to help ya out !

BTW: Whats a turkey wing?............lol...geo
  • lspangler1lspangler1 Member Posts: 68
    I have been spending some time in Nissan's advanced vehicle build area lately and I think Ford and GM had better get cracking if they expect to keep up in trucks. Nissan's new truck has some extremely innovative features. While I'm not able to tell you what they are, I can say that it is very nice. I was also able to play around in an Infinity FX-45 and a new Quest. If I had the money, I'd buy an FX-45 right away. It is a pretty cool car/SUV.

I'm happy with my 1500HD so far, I've almost got 2000 miles and my fuel mileage has increased to a whopping 12 mpg with mixed driving and 12 mpg at 80. It gets about 14 mpg at 55, but who drives that speed?

When driving on rural roads last weekend, I was able to test the passing power of the new truck many times. I was a little disappointed in the trucks willingness to downshift for a pass. It seemed to just want to unlock the torque converter and slowly accelerate, even with the pedal to the mat. I noticed that after 10 or 15 passes, it did begin to downshift and accelerate better. Has anybody else experienced this?
    "my fuel mileage has increased to a whopping 12 mpg "

Be happy my last 2 tanks on my 5.3 have been in the upper 10s lower 11s
  • jmessz71jmessz71 Member Posts: 6
    I am trying to remove the dash trim piece around the gauges in order to fix a rattle under the dash. I am told that you should be able to pry it of with your fingers. Has anyone tried this? Any tips to make this easier?

Also has anyone had any problems with the extend cab door "groaning" when the cab flex's?
  • charlielordcharlielord Member Posts: 2
    Not that my 2002 Sierra 1500 is a drinker, it does get 18 mpg with it 4.8 and auto, but the problem is that the driver side mirror shakes so much its hard to even see anything.
    Brought to dealer and was replaced. Same thing.
    Has ANYONE had similar problem?
    when the cab flex's? Yep that can be fixed with electrostatic grease ( AutoZone ), for less than 3 bucks. Apply a light coat to the door gaskets all around. My 2000 5.3 xcab groaned really bad when backing out of the driveway. It will last a pretty long time and then You need to reapply.
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Member Posts: 2,242
    It has spring clips around the perimeter, no screws. just gently pull in the areas that do not easily come away and the springs will release. I had squeaks around the radio/AC area and put small stick on felt pads at the contact points and removed the problem.

Jim
    Same on my 2000 Silverado xcab, rt side really bad, left side not so bad. If you have a bug shield, that can cause it. Dealer a look at mine and said to bad. But there is a shield that can be used without causing the heavy wind turbulance, just can't think of the name, maybe a Lund Intercepter. Never changed out my shield since I was on the second one for this truck. 3rd since 6/99. I have more toys to buy right now...when I get this tire issue resolved. 3rd set
    since Oct. coming up on Sat. 11/9.
This discussion has been closed.