Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado/GMC Sierra - Owners hangout

Comments

• mledtjemledtje Member Posts: 1,123
    My Silverado 4x4 Reg Cab Longbed gets 16-17 in town and 20-24 on the highway. I'm not the fastest driver, and that helps - but, the truck can return very good mileage.

The 4.8 is an adequate engine. Equipped with a 4.10 final drive, it should pull 5000# OK. My dad pulls a 6300# trailer with a 5.3 Silverado with 3.42 gears. You will have better pulling power than that combination.

Mike L
  • downeast1downeast1 Member Posts: 18
    I keep seeing posts relating to the rack and pinion,..........doesn't the rados etc have a steering box(power) with the old tried and true setup of drags links etc?
    Depends if you have 1500 2wd (R&P) or all others have conventional steering setup.

Mike L
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Thinks that's what its called. Hey the rack is cheaper, gives better handling, and is cheaper....did I say that?
  • txyank1txyank1 Member Posts: 1,010
    I knew there somthin' weird about it. But it sure does run good!
    Or is a manual trans in a pickup conventional?

Reg Cab Longbed, normal or abnormal?

But, it has 4wd and recirculating ball steering gear.

Maybe it is a [non-permissible content removed] mix of conventional and unconventional.

Mike L
    it was still available in 2wd 1500 with 5.3. Or even the 4.8. I had three 350 5spds from '88 to '92. Fun!
  • crash269crash269 Member Posts: 9
    The noise you're hearing is from the intermediate shaft. GM has a TSB out on it. They lube the shaft and that generally fixes the problem. Occasionally they replace the whole shaft. Mine did the same thing and was fixed with the lube. Hopefully it's a permantent fix and not just enough to get it past warranty.
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    I have the clunk in the frnt end at times. This is totally different.
  • ricobeachricobeach Member Posts: 29
    Ryan,

I have had a similar noise for about 1.5 years now but I describe mine as a "clunk" when the wheel is turned to the right (similar to a popping ball joint). It usually only does it once, then it has to sit for awhile before it will do it again. My dealer does not have a clue as to the cause. Most of the time it will not even make the noise for them. So if you or anyone else can figure out the cause, please post it here. I would love to get this one solved. During the summer, my noise is sometimes loud enough to attract attention from other people in the parking lot. I usually tell them that this is what GM means by "like a rock". Rocks don't like to move very often. :)

Rico
    2000 Silverado ext cab. 2wd base model with a few extras.
    Mine only seems to do it when it is cold out ???

It hasnt done it in a few days hopefully it is gone but i doubt it.

Someone on gm-tc did mention it could need an alignment. SOmething about the bolts loosening up
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Member Posts: 2,242
    Do your trucks have torsion bar suspension? I think I mentioned earlier that my buddy's truck started doing this and he took it to a good alignment shop who said they had seen it before. They "tightened up" the torsion bars (no other detail, sorry) and the thunk went away.

Jim
  • hunter33hunter33 Member Posts: 6
    Just pick up my 03 4x4 Ext.5.3 Silverado I have noticed they changed the size of the oil filter it is smaller it is a PF44, anyone Know why they did this ?
    them .44 per unit.
  • li_sailorli_sailor Member Posts: 1,081
    I posted this last nite in the other (?) Silverado topic, but I'm not usre which is best, so...

I'm looking to purchase a '94 c/1500 Silverado Z71 4WD w/ the 5.7L 8cyl engine. Anyone know what the tow capacity is?

Edmunds lists 5000 lbs for the V6, but I can't find what it is with the big 8. I need to tow about 6500 lbs.

Also, they're asking $8500...it's loaded, but it still seems a bit high. Any feedback would be appreciated. It's the regular cab short bed in very good condition with a cap.

If there's a better place to pose this question, please suggest!

thanks again,
    Tom
  • sonjaabsonjaab Member Posts: 1,057
    I have a 96 Chev brochure. It might help
    cuz the trucks are basically the same.
    K-1500 4x4 reg or ex cab:
    350 motor. auto:
    max trl weight 6000lbs
    tongue wt. 750 lbs
    with 3:42 rear.

max. trl. weight7000 lbs
    tonge weight 850 lbs
    with 3:73 rear
    hope this helps.....as far as a fair price
    stop over to smart shopper thread and
    look for real world trade in values.
    Those guys can help ya on the right price
    to pay................geo
  • li_sailorli_sailor Member Posts: 1,081
    Thanks a lot. I'm checking on what the axle ratio is.

I'll check over in smart shopper, thanks.

Tom
  • topsail33topsail33 Member Posts: 19
    My 2000 ext cab does not have tinted windows and that is something I want. I called a few dealers and they want around $275 each for a tinted pop out vent window and $246 for the rear window.

That doesn't include installation, so I'm guessing the total bill would be around $700-800.

That's a lot in my opinion. Are there cheaper sources for tinted windows, or has someone had good results just getting them tinted? I'm a little hesitant getting them tinted because I don't want them looking like crap in a few years like a lot of them do...

Thanks - Mark
    for Window Tinting. Should run around $150 - $175. Yes, it's a film and not as nice as Factory but a good quality job works fine and is usually guanteed for as long as you own the vehicle.
  • ricschricsch Member Posts: 540
    topsail-a good thing about having the windows all done by a reputable installer is that the tint will be uniform. What I mean by this is, I just had Ziebart tint my front door windows to match the factory deep tint on the access doors, and it didn't, had more of a reflective quality than the factory which I stressed to them prior to the install that I want it to match, so when I went to pick up the truck, I told them to remove it, and if they couldn't match it, I'll go elsewhere, which I will be doing on Friday. As for the film versus factory tint-the film is good, just be sure to not let sharp objects come in contact with it which will scratch or tear the film.
    I had my pass and drivers side windows tinted for $60
    the worry of scratches. Now you have to decide whether the price is worth it. Course you could go to a junk yard and pick them up cheap and have a glass shop install them. There are a lot of junkyards that allow you to search their inventory online saving you much of the hassle.

If you match the factory limo tint for your side windows, most likely they will fail any testing for darkness of tint. Most states, 35% is the limit and anything over that is considered illegal.
  • jaguar0027jaguar0027 Member Posts: 387
    Hey Guys,

Just wanted to wish you all a Happy Thanksgiving! Hope you are all well.

Oby and Ryan,

How are you both? How are those Chevy's running? Oby, did you get rid of your Denali yet? If so, what did you go with?

Jim
    Have a happy thanksgiving and if you are traveling hope you all have safe trips

Jim

My truck is running great almost have 32K miles on it. Only complaint is the rattles in the cab cause of the weather change. I think i fixed a few today. Only other bad thing is my truck wont be clean till spring now :( it is covered in salt.

Hows your new truck doing?

Ryan
    Happy Thanksgiving!!

The Chevy you ask? Well the rack leaked and the a/c went warm. Luckily both covered under the Major Guard extended warranty.

On an offer to get out of my lease early from GMAC, I decided to get rid of the '00 Denali for a '02 model. Couldn't resist the $0 down 0% 60 month financing. Couldn't find a Harley Davidson F150 nowhere cept for ebay. lmao

Any mods to the new truck?
    Glad to hear that you are both doing fine. Can you believe its Thanksgiving already?

Ryan - I know what you mean about the rattles. Its a real PITA. So far the new truck is problem free. But Ive only had it for a few months now. Time will tell how it holds up. So far, all signs are positive.

As far as mods, the only thing I have done is a Bedliner, Westin Nerf bars, and a K&N air filter. More to come of course. I really did need the nerf bars though as this truck sits higher than the Chevy. It was even a bit of a pain for me and I am 6ft 1!

Good luck with your rides. (Lucky you have that Major Guard Oby!) I cant believe you got another Denali, but with that deal I guess its hard to pass up. I still hope to get a Denali some day, I just love those trucks!

Well, take care for now... I will try to pop in more often. And Oby, if you get the opportunity check out that HD F150. It is sweet!
    my nerf bars are coming off this spring. Dont know what im gonna do. I kinda like the looks without em but in a side crash they could help. Also for the vertically challenged (mom hehe) they may have to stay.

Im gonna either refinish them (powdercoat, or bedliner spray) or buy new.

Salt is a killer but obyone doesnt have to worry about that other than the pacific ocean
    Obyone not having to worry about that. It must be nice to live in paradise eh? Some of us will never know!

Refinishing them might be cool. Or perhaps you should get the Westin CPS series. That is what I got. They look great too!
    well my truck has all black accessories so silver nerf bars would look funny. They do have those new CPS Black bars but i was told if they are scratched you will see silver marks. Mine are scratched up pretty bad.

Ill probably try some bedliner in a can on them.
  • am70043am70043 Member Posts: 22
    does anyone know if the black wax that is put on the frame can be purchased. there are some spots on the frame that i would like cover back up.
    Good idea. I forgot you have you truck tricked out in black. That might be a good (and cheaper) alternative. You are correct on the black CPS. I have heard that as well.
  • scotthemiscotthemi Member Posts: 27
    Sorry to repost this, but I don't think anyone responded before.

I've got a 2000 2500 4x4 Silverado that I bought new in 2000. This weekend, I was pulling a 12ft utility trailer with a 400lb 4-wheeler on it. During my trip, the truck started shifting real hard, almost like it was slamming between gears and seemingly lunging forward. When it started happening, I thought the 4-wheeler was shifting around causing the the feeling I was experiencing.

After I got home and unhooked the trailer, I went for a little drive to test it out, and the problem was still happening. The next day (Sunday) I took it out and the problem no longer existed. Also drove fine today.

Now, I've experienced a "clunking" sound that seemed to be from the transmission before, and as odd is this sounds, it always seems to happen when I'm driving in a reasonably heavy rain, but it's never been as bad as it was Saturday.

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to be as descriptive as possible. Does anyone have a clue what could be happening?

Thanks.
  • dan915dan915 Member Posts: 3
    I recently bought a 1999 Silverado. I spoke to the elderly gentleman who purchased it new to see if he had any problems with it. He mentioned only one problem, it was a rough idle. He told me that he took it back to the dealer, who hooked it to the computer, and told him that no "trouble codes" were found. He said that it only happened once, and never occurred again.
    This has happened to me three times in the last two months. Never has the "check engine" light came on, and the problem goes away as quickly as it came. The first time this happened was as I was pulling away from a traffic light. The engine would not gain RPM's and after about 20 seconds it began clearing up. The second time was from a cold start. As soon as I started the engine it idled roughly. I cut the engine off, then restarted it. The rough idle was gone. The third time was shortly after a cold start. The engine had not had time to warm up and I stopped before entering traffic. Shortly after the rough idle was back, I immediately put the truck in neutral, cut the engine off, then restarted it, the rough idle was gone. I love this truck! It has only 29,000 miles on it and the 5.3 litre V-8, with an auto tranny. It's got tons of power, rides and drives great, even though it's the SWB regular cab. Has any one else reported this type of problem. I've called different dealers and get a different answer each place I call. Some of their suggestions make sense, some are down right silly. I'm no mechanic, but I'm not stupid either. It seems logical to me that it would be a computer "glitch", since it goes away if the truck is cut off then restarted. I relaced the fuel and air filters when it was delivered, so I know that that's not the problem.
    get your '03 Tail lights?
    Sure did and installed in a breeze. Came with extra harnesses too cause light patterns are different.
  • noobie1noobie1 Member Posts: 326
    Sounds like a similar problem that happened to a friend's '98' recently. He was also getting a "check engine" message. What was especially troublesome though was that the problem was intermittent. Thinking the worst, he figured it was going to be a pricey trans overhaul. Turned out to be a faulty Throttle Position Sensor. Poor tranny didn't know which end was up.

dan915;
    I don't have much experience with these things yet, but your problem also sounds suspiciously like a faulty sensor giving false input to the fuel injection, resulting in an improper mixture. Again the problem is intermittent, complicating matters. Seems like you'd almost have to have a scan tool hooked up while the problem was occurring. Just a very wild guess. Could be a lot of things.

-David
  • dan915dan915 Member Posts: 3
    David, Thanks for your thoughts on my Silverado's mysterious idle(?) problem. What you said makes sense to me. I have to admit after I read some of the postings here I was a little worried about my purchasing the truck, but this is the only thing that has gone wrong with it. I've been down the "LEMON" road before,(JEEP)and I know how these folks feel. Look forward to communicating with you again.
    Danny
  • vascdudevascdude Member Posts: 11
    Hello all. First time posting on this page. I have an 02 1500 4x4. The main problem has been the rattling during weather changes like Ryan mentioned. My mostly comes from the rear portion of the headliner. Any suggestions on a quick fix?

Michael
  • bill_brown20bill_brown20 Member Posts: 3
    We have a V6 2001 Shakerado. We have been to BBB and lost. Before that dealer got us a V8 that he said wouldn't have the problem. We bought it for the price difference of a V6 over V8. It had vibrations also so we returned it. They wanted to work on it and gave us a 2002 model as a loaner. It also had the problem. We got our original back and went to arbitration. This Wednesday, Dec. 11, 2002 we go before the Attorney General for arbitration. I'm not feeling lucky about this but trying to get more data to bring to court.

As far as it's a truck so don't expect a Cadilac ride, well my wife is a paramedic/firefighter. Who drives firetrucks and ambulances. This is her truck and she will no longer drive it. Last trip in to get it inspected for AG case she drove separate. She loves the VW Jetta we got to replace it. I just hate still paying for this POS. We have had recent 2 tow ins and 3 service trips for rotor, distributor cap getting wet and engine dies. They finally put foam weather stripping aroung distributor cap to stop infiltration of water.

We have had exhaust mods, new tires, suspension adjustments, and the list goes on. I can have it exibit the proplem, put it in neutral, then shut the engine off and it still vibrates. That tells me it isn't engine/exhaust problem.

I think this should be a class action suit against GM. We can't all be crazy, and in my case the dealer agreed until buy back time. Then regional support got involved and all I hear is it isn't a problem. It was problem enough to get me a new V8 version.

We have tried with limited slip, and without. We have had heavy duty suspension or regular. Towing package or not and it still does it on all models we tested. The fire trucks/ambulance don't do it so it's not a truck perception problem. This is a class problem with the design.

At 5'6", & 125 pounds, they think she is picky. She is a second degree black belt, and has went through fire academy, along with everything else the fire department throws at them. She will ride in our friends Dodge Ram, or the sons S10, but this Shakerado and all 3 we have had for extended times shakes. It is at about 10 MPH intervals.

These are the people at GM I have emailed with concerns. Along with John Smith chairman, Richard wagoner CEO, & John Devine CFO.

Lynn.Myers@gm.com, Annette.Lloyd@gm.com, Mark-Hans.Richer@gm.com, patrick.e.morrissy@gm.com, deborah.frakes@onstar.com, david.barnas@gm.com, john.ahearne@gm.com, jill.witzenburg@gm.com, susan.reyes-nothoff@gm.com, leanne.m.sherman@gm.com, scott.fosgard@gm.com, charles.licari@gm.com, mary.woodbeck@gm.com, wendi.parson@gm.com, gerald.m.wilson@gm.com, susan.garavaglia@gm.com, jeffrey.kuhlman@gm.com, gerry.holmes@gm.com, janine.fruehan@gm.com, renee.rashid-merem@gm.com, daniel.flores@gm.com, dan.greene@gm.com, joanne.k.krell@gm.com, mary.irby@gm.com, susan.t.reyes@gm.com, stew.low@gm.com, carlos.gelista@gm.com, gwendolyn.knapp@gm.com, Rick_Gillespie@gmacm.com

Maybe if we all keep bugging them they will do something. The BBB & attorney general takes lots of work. It feels like a part time job trying to get everything done they request. More trips to the dealer to say still no problem, and they just document on the service request that they can't do anything. In the beginning they agreed, but now after legal comes into it they say it is no longer a problem. Why did they order me a new truck and agree once if they now say it was never broke? This is an uphill battle, in a blizzard, and no lite at the end of the battle.

Good luck to all but you have to devote your spare time to this like your on a mission from the truck gods. I hope to become a truck saint at the end of this journey to avoid hell.
  • ricschricsch Member Posts: 540
    You were correct on the grease zerk/fitting size of 6mm. Swapped two zerks and put in the 90 degree fittings-easy access now!!

Update on my window tinting on the new truck-Ziebart's tint didn't match so they removed it. Went to another shop who did both windows(matched factory glass well), but when I went to get the truck, there were scuff marks in the ext. cab door that weren't there before, and of course no-one at the shop knew how they got there, but they polished them out. Then, noticed the tint on the driver's door had 4-5 lines in the film that ran horizontal right through where you look into the rear-view mirror causing a distortion, guy didn't even look at it, said it'll go away, give it some time, well, after a week of no change, I took it back, had it redone. Looked good. But now after washing the dust off the truck this a.m, I noticed a couple of fine scratches near the window they worked on, possibly from trimming the film to size on the outside of the truck? They polished out fairly well, but why is it that whenever you take a vehicle somewhere to have something done, stuff like this happens? Thanks for the time and space to vent!!!
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Member Posts: 2,242
    I cannot believe that if you are having that much heartburn over a vehicle you don't just sell the sucker and move on. It isn't worth the stress. Why you are having so many problems is beyond me. I and three of my friends have a 2001 3/4 ton long bed regular cab, a 2000 3/4 light ext cab, and a 2001 3/4HD ext cab, and none of us have had any vibration problems at all. If your wife likes the VW, sell the truck and chalk it up to a learning experience. That's what I ended up doing with Nissan. Had one of their trucks that makes your's look like a creampuff. Think vibrations are a problem? Try putting your foot on the brakes for a normal stop and having the rear brakes lock up and not unlock until you put the truck in reverse and backup. Did that off and on for a year and three complete brake overhauls. Life is short. Sell the beast and be done with it.

FWIW,

Jim
    When having my windows tinted, I stood near the guy tinting. Funny when you do that everything seems to work out fine. Course its not always possible if theres a long line of customers. Somehow, I do manage to do this.
    Had a couple of questions posted in the 2001 Vibrations topic. That's an interesting story...three trucks....all shakers.....sheeeesh.
    my quick fix is to turn the radio up.

This spring when it gets warm again i am tearing the rear seat out (well unbolting it) taking off the door panels and probably do some insulation and make sure it will be rattle free for the next winter
  • scotthemiscotthemi Member Posts: 27
    Hey, thanks for the feedback. That makes sense, because mine is intermittent also. I sincerely appreciate the response.
  • bjl3bjl3 Member Posts: 22
    Hello to all, I posted here a couple times in Oct. I purchased a 03 Chev Silverado 1500 EXT cab. 4x4 Z71, dark gray. I like it alot so far. I have a question on Bed covers. What I would really like is a ARE z series topper. But they are pricey. So what I am considering is a Access cover. Do any of you have one? What are your likes, dislikes and model of cover- Access or LT rider?

Thanks,
    BJL
  • njjamnjjam Member Posts: 1
    I have a '99 GMC Sierra, with a 5.3L and would like to change the activation of the power door locks. Currently the doors "lock" at 20 mph, but must be unlocked by hand using the lock switch or pushing the lock lever before the doors will open. The interior handle will not open the door once the doors lock. Does anyone have information to change the door lock sequence?
    Information on reprogramming the door locks is in the owner's manual.

It might depend on the model you have. My base model truck won't unlock the doors automatically. My LS unlocks when I take the key out of the ignition (manual trans). LS/LT automatics should unlock when shifted into PARK.

Mike L
  • rayt2rayt2 Member Posts: 1,208
    is in your owners manual as Mike said, however my Y2K 2500 LS Automatic unlocks doors after truck is turned off & key is removed not when put in park. This is the original configuration truck came with and suits me fine.

PS: When you got your truck did you read the manual? Most people just leave it in glove box and ignore it, it does have a lot of useful info for the owner however.....such as door lock sequence, etc, etc, etc..........

Ray T.
  • mugstermugster Member Posts: 16
    You're stuck with the doors that will not unlock when put into park. You can change the operation of the remote, but you cannot program the truck to unlock the doors when put into park.

This was a major GM oversight. The only thing you can do is unlock them manually, or if you get tired of this, have the dealer de-activate the 15 mph auto lock feature.

The oversight was corrected for the 2000 and beyond models.

Mike
This discussion has been closed.