Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado/GMC Sierra - Owners hangout

Comments

• obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    to replace. Did mine in less than 15 minutes which included removing the old and replacing with the new.

When you state the grill, are you talking about the checkered plastic where the air enters? Or the plastic chrome piece with the bowtie?
  • abc246abc246 Member Posts: 305
    My grill is black plastic with a gray band in the center with a gold bowtie. It is huge and all one piece that runs the entire width of the truck. Mine is not chrome because I do not have an LS or LT. I have the cheap base model!

How did you remove the bumper pad (I think the correct term is, Upper Front Bumper Cover). I looked at the bumper and it appears that this Upper Front Bumper Cover has plastic tabs that push through the metal bumper. I bet the bumper would bend first if I tried to pull the tabs through the bumper without releasing the plastic tabs. On my Blazer I had to remove the bumper to replace the rub strip that was mounted the same way.

How much did you pay for the Upper Front Bumper Cover? By the way, this truck was hit in a parking lot and I found it this way when I came back.

One good thing about the design is that the bumper was pushed back about 2 inches on the driver’s side but there was no damage to the fender or supports. It seems the bumper metal does not fill between the truck body and bumper so the bumper is able to move without damage to the rest of the truck. The Upper Front Bumper Cover hit the body and cracked, but that was the extent of the damage. I pulled the bumper back out with my Blazer.
  • ponmponm Member Posts: 139
    I have had my 2000 silverado 5.3L 4x4 for about three weeks now and I had a few questions for everyone. I know considering the 5.3 is an old push rod engine, it should run fine on regular gasoline, but has anyone had better luck with the middle grade(89) or preminum gas? My second question is how do I know what rear end I have in my truck, the 3.73 or 4.10. Going down the highway at 70, it reads just a hair over 2000rpms. My final question, and I have posted it in another silverado forum, but I have gotten different pieces of advice. When driving around 50 mph, the transmission seems to search for the best gear, going back and fourth. Has anyone had the same problem or is this normal? Thanks
    -scott
  • dch0300dch0300 Member Posts: 472
    ponm,
    Sounds like you have the 4.10 axle ratio. At 70 mph I'm at 1900 rpms, and I have the 3.73 axle ratio.
    One way to tell is to look at all of them build codes in your glove box. If you find the code GT4 you have the 3.73. If you find the code GT5 you have the 4.10.
  • sonjaabsonjaab Member Posts: 1,057
    You don't have to replace one of the composite
    headlight assemblies.....They run around $300
    bucks too.....OUCH ~!....That cheap plastic is
    mucho expensive.......................geo
  • bowtieman1bowtieman1 Member Posts: 38
    Obyone is right

Usually shop on line- my impatience and desire for better sound made me buy retail. Also the worse half of my life was out of town so I bought and installed while she was gone. Sneaky but the cost of avoiding a confrontation is, at times more expensive, but worth it.

Obyone- Have you ever posted info on Horse Power tweaks??
    If
  • blackmax200blackmax200 Member Posts: 255
    abc, you could take your VIN to the dealer parts dept and have them run it for the correct part number then you would know if what you are ordering online is the right one or not. Shipping is a real PITA as the grille has to be packed "JUST" right to get under the UPS maximum size formula. I bought a stripper grille for my LS, because it didn't have all that chrome look, off e-Bay a while back and the shipping was about as much as the grille, but under $115 for the whole deal.

hope this helps
    matthew
    A genuine GM outter front fender for 99 & up
    truck is about $100 with discount !
  • nothervettnothervett Member Posts: 1
    does anyone know the outside dimentions of a chev 1985 chevy 2500 series heavy duty pickup? need width including any bumpers, mirrors, etc. and length longbed and shortbed. ty
    ABC there is one on an e-Bay auction right now until about 10PM EST 01/21 in Oklahoma for reasonable $$
    matthew
  • txyank1txyank1 Member Posts: 1,010
    at 70 mph with 3.42 gears and stock tires.
  • downeast1downeast1 Member Posts: 18
    I have about 10k on my 2003 1500z71, when I first got it the truck pulled to the left, found out it was a bad firestone tire. After the tires where changed the truck now pulls to the gutter. checked the tire and its starting to cup on the outside.Anyone else have this problem? (still have firestones on it.
  • rayt2rayt2 Member Posts: 1,208
    Pocahontas it what it said at the top of this page as the creator so I only assumed.......
    So PF Flyer it is....for now LOL
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    The topic was created by Pocahontas waaaaaay back over 2 years ago... which is about the time I took over the Pickups board!

Time flies when you're having fun!!

PF Flyer
    Host
    Pickups & News & Views Message Boards
  • lrymallrymal Member Posts: 105
    > when I first got it the truck pulled to the left, found out it was a bad firestone tire.
    > After the tires where changed the truck now pulls to the gutter. checked the
    > tire and its starting to cup on the outside

To me, none of this sounds correct. I **think** that the original offending tire was not the cause of the problem, but an indicator of a problem. I think your front-wheel alignment was off. That is now showing up in your outside-cupping tire. This is just an opinion, though.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Bad alignment and crappy tires. Unfortunately, at 10k the dealer will not warranty an alignment. You might be able to squeak a tire out of the though.
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    HMMM Thats wierd didnt all the 99-02s pull right? Gm must have overcorrected to the left :)
    My gm tonnaeu cover had a black outline of a bowtie. Well I got bored and decided to buy a blue paint marker and color it (well my gf colored it i didnt have enough patience).

It is darker than it actually looks so far it is holding up great with the 90 degree summer heat and below zero winter nights

• am70043am70043 Member Posts: 22
    With the engine off the oil pressure guage is showing 20psig. If the key is in the acessory position it will go to 0psig. When the engine is running oil pressure is good around 60psig. Does anyone have any idea whats wrong before I go to the dealer with it.
  • jmackanijmackani Member Posts: 1
    I have noticed quite a few people with starting problems. I too had the same problem and found it to be the fuel pressure regulator. It is a dealership only item and cost about $80.
  • mledtjemledtje Member Posts: 1,123
    Doesn't the oil pressure guage remain at the same reading as when it was turned off? If you turn the engine off, it stays at idle pressure - 20 psi. Turn the key to ON or ACC and the guage will read actual pressure - 0 psi.

Try revving the engine a little to get 30-40 psi and turn off the key.

Mike L
  • davek3davek3 Member Posts: 31
    On my 99 silverado when I apply the brakes the ABS system activates all the time when the truck is about to stop. The pedal gets solid and the ABS pumps start to work,, of course the truck takes about 10 more feet to stop than normal. This has caused some adrenaline rushes in tight parking places! I havent hit anything yet and if you pump the pedal fast I can stop the process... Any one have same problem? I have heard the wheel sensors need cleaned.. ?? Not the sensor itself but the wheel hub where the "shutters" (?) are.. ANY help will be appreciated! Truck has almost 70,000 miles on it and has always ran great.
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Member Posts: 2,242
    Is solid state. When the key is in the off position, there is no signal to the gauge so it will stay wherever it lands as the pressure signal goes away. If the gauge reads zero with the key on but the engine not running, that's normal. Idle pressure on a 6.0L is about 45psi cold idle, ~30psi hot idle, 60-80psi off idle cold, ~45-60psi off idle hot.

Jim
    On my 99 silverado when I apply the brakes the ABS system activates all the time when the truck is about to stop. The pedal gets solid and the ABS pumps start to work,, of course the truck takes about 10 more feet to stop than normal. This has caused some adrenaline rushes in tight parking places! I havent hit anything yet and if you pump the pedal fast I can stop the process... Any one have same problem? I have heard the wheel sensors need cleaned.. ?? Not the sensor itself but the wheel hub where the "shutters" (?) are.. ANY help will be appreciated! Truck has almost 70,000 miles on it and has always ran great.
  • ricschricsch Member Posts: 540
    I have a complete OEM grille shell with polished Stull brand billet grille inserts in it from my '01 Silverado LS if interested. It's in excelent shape!!
  • bowtieman1bowtieman1 Member Posts: 38
    Yes- I had the same problem at 70 K miles. Also meet two others who had the same exact problem at exactly 70K mile also. engineered obsolescence is becoming an exact science. There can be a few causes for this. There is a tendency for rust and scale to build up between the sensor face mounted in the hub assembly and the surface it "senses". In some cases all that is required is to remove the allen screw holding the sensor in place, carefully remove the sensor. Inspect the face of the sensor for any marks, groves or scoring, this is important!! If the face of the sensor is clean and unmarked than inspect the hole it came out of. With a tool like a dental pick remove any scale in the hole, rotate the wheel and inspect again for any excessive rust and scale buildup. Carefully replace the sensor. If the sensor face is scored than the hub assembly bearing is going bad. Once the bearing starts going bad it will need replaced. $180 for the part and about $150 to install. You could just replace the sensor but it will not last very long as it to will become scored. This problem will scare the $#@& out of you when it happens. It will be hard to tell which hub assembly needs attention. You can just inspect both or the service person can diagnose which hub Left or right needs serviced. These are the two reasons I know about. Of course the sensor could be bad, I have not heard of that happening .....yet.

Good luck
    WOW.. sounds like there should be some sort of recall on this! Someone could get hurt.. or worse!! Thanks for the comeback bowtieman!
  • bballabballa Member Posts: 56
    First time posting here though I have been checking in and reading what others have to say on a regular basis. Some great info. Maybe someone can help with my problem. I have a 01 Silverado ext-cab 5.3 V8. When first purchased it had a very smooth idle. Now,after 20,000 miles the idle is rough and the speed fluctuates. At times it seems that the truck is going to stall when the idle speed drops. If the fan is blowing on a high speed it will also drop down in speed as the idle speed drops. This happens mostly at stops. Had the truck serviced at the dealers the other day and had them check the idle. They checked and reported that operation was within man. specs. no repair made or needed. Still have the problem. What gives?
  • 95tahoe95tahoe Member Posts: 4
    I had the same problem that you mentioned above, however, I had a 1995 Chevrolet Tahoe 4X4 with around 62,000 miles. I had the problem for a couple of months (actually went to stop in a parking lot and by the time I had stopped I had driven up on to a sidewalk) when I finally decided to have it looked at. I guess I should have had it looked at sooner because the front wheel hubs and bearings had to be replaced. The service manager told me that they have had this problem with Chevy trucks and SUV's with 60K-70K miles.
  • tsprousetsprouse Member Posts: 10
    I have a 2000 Sierra ext-cab 4.8. Does it have a
    radiator cap, or is the cap on the overflow tank
    the only one?
    Thanks, but I purchased one on ebay for $82 with $20 shipping (I hope they send it!).

blackmax200 - Thanks for your help! I got the chrome grille because they wanted more $$ for the painted one!

My DIC displays "Low Engine Oil Level" when the engine is started around 0 degress F. It stays on until the egnine warms up some. I have the V-6 and the oil level is about 1/3 from the add line. Has anyone else seen this?
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Member Posts: 2,242
    Is on the composite pressure tank to the rear and passengers side of the engine compartment. Kinda off-white job.
  • ricschricsch Member Posts: 540
    On the side of the seat-back towards the door, does the cover have velcro along the side? I have seen some from www.autoseats.com that look similar to the seat savers but they have the velcro on the side, just curious if yours are like that.
    yes they have velcro on the door side (towards the rear of the seat in the backseat)
    I had a similar problem but also accompanied by hard starting when engine was up to normal operating temp. It turned out to be the fuel regulator. My engine is the 1999 6.0 version in a 2500 silverado. Cost was 80 bucks if i remember right.
  • bdc2020bdc2020 Member Posts: 58
    Hi All-
      I have a 2001 Sierra 1500 Z71. It only has 14,000 miles on it.

It just recently developed a 'knocking' that I can hear AND slightly feel through the steering wheel - but it only happens when I am turning to the RIGHT and applying the brakes at the same time - and it's much worse over rough pavement. It seems to be coming from the front end drivers side wheel.

it's like when the suspension is 'active' (i.e. over rough pavement) and I'm braking and turning right it happens. It's not normal as I just started noticing it on my drive to work everyday when I exit the same offramp. Never was a problem before.

Any ideas that I can tell the dealer when I bring it in to look for? The first dealer I brought it in to claimed they couldn't notice it. Even my wife who is car-phobic notices it now.

thanks,
    -brian
  • bballabballa Member Posts: 56
    The trucks going back to the dealers Monday morning. They said that they need a code to come up showing a problem or they can't do anything. The idle speed is computer controlled and not adjustable. Something has to be wrong since the idle is rougher and it fluctuates, sometimes so low that the truck almost stalls. Should I ask why my gasoline powered 5.3 sounds like a quiet diesel engine? Hmmm.
  • themailman1themailman1 Member Posts: 95
    Where EXACTLY are the torsion bars and what size socket is it? 2001 Sierra Z71 shortbed 5.3
    Mailman, if you look underneath (lay on your back) by the door of your truck, you will see a bar/long rod about 1 inch in diameter on the inside of and running parallel to the frame rail. The front end of this bar is connected to the lower control arm that leads out to each front wheel, and the back is in a reciever in the transmission/transfer case cross member. At the back you will see a long screw bolt going up into the crossmember. I think this takes a 17 or 18 mm socket. Now after the description above, may I sugggest that you have any adjustments done by a competent alignment shop as the front end should probably be checked for proper alignment after you are done raising or lowering the ground clearance "Z" height by adjusting the torsion bars.

Hope this helps
    matthew
    Remember to turn them clockwise to raise.
    Counterclockwise to lower...........
    Jack up the front of truck to take weight
    off suspension...makes it easier to adjust.
    A front end alignment is wise afterward too.
    Thanks for the help
    Hey all the plowheads up in upstate NY... heard the other day Syracuse/Watertown may set a record for accumulation this season... Hope you're having fun... might need a new truck soon if it keeps up? All I'm doing out here in RI is chopping ice to keep it from tearing up the docks... and I thought I had had enough when I left Buffalo... ha

(now look what I have gone and done... now Oby is gonna post a pic of some beach in the 70's)
    matthew
    we got a nice dusting (few inches) last night here. Figures it hit 35 yesterday so i went to the car wash and sprayed off all the salt that has accumulated since xmas. Bring on more salt today. Its a lose lose situation
    Will the ride be different?
    Every winter I crank them up about 5 turns
    when its plow time.....I have the nut and frame
    punch notched (pricked) and just turn them down
    in the summer. Ride ? These trucks ride like
    a dream boat on smooth pavement or loaded down.
    Better than my Caddy I think !.......geo
    Hey ! We are getting slammed this year !
    2 yrs ago plowed 112 times.
    Last yr. I only plowed 14 times total!
    This year 40 so far ! I get paid per push !
    My bar is 2 miles from Lake Ontario...Lake
    effect..bring it on ! My motel in Alexandria
    Bay Ny has got NADA this year...real cold tho.
    Snow blows right over the St. Lawrence river
    and lake Ontario right to Tug Hill...Watertown
    and south to me! Truck and plow working as
    intended......Hows you underseat storage bin
    holding up ? I tried to buy one from GM
    Canada for 85 bucks Can. $$. Gm raised the
    price to like 400 bucks. You still making
    them? Post your web site if so..I lost it
    Time for a quick plow then SUPERBOWL !...geo
    any of you guys have a volant intake?

Opinions?

Thanks
    I have the same problem. I suspect the front wheel is moving on the bushings and the torsion bars are making a noise where they meet the lower A-arm, but this is just I guess. By the way, I hate this noise.

As for noises the truck interior and dash sounds as if it is going to crack when going over bumps. It has been very cold, but this truck only hass 15k miles! I don't think GMs engineers can build a good car or truck anymore. Toyota is looking mighty fine these days to me. I would like to buy a Tahoe, but since it is the same interior quality I will not.
    Once in awhile i will get a loud knock noise from the front end while turning (sounds like from the pass side front). Happened this past saturday while turning right. I heard from someone there is a bolt which comes loose somewhere on the front. The guy said that he got an alignment and they found the loose bolt (something to do with the alingment) and he said this fixed the problem.

Have you had an alignment lately? I am getting one this spring so we will see

Ryan
This discussion has been closed.