Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado/GMC Sierra - Owners hangout

Comments

• ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    i should take some pics but the hoses in the engine and the plastic look awesome. Did a better job than the 303 I was using (makes it look wetter)
  • jaguar0027jaguar0027 Member Posts: 387
    Its forbidden for you to go there... LOL
  • bmaigebmaige Member Posts: 140
    You boys obviously aren't on a farm using your trucks. The detailing in my engine compartment--as well as everywhere else, is mud and manure. Day before yesterday I had to rake the mud aside to find the door to the truck. I did hose it off and wash it, though, as it is clay and sticks pretty hard once it dries.
  • bmaigebmaige Member Posts: 140
    The engine detailing through me for such a loop I forgot what I came into this forum to begin with, which was to ask for input on how the Duramaxx engine is doing in everyday use and heavy towing. Could I hear from some users on that?
  • suit86suit86 Member Posts: 3
    Hey does anyone know if GM has fixed any of the common problems with the Sierras (4WD Ext Cab) for 2004. Ex. sterring shaft, cold start knock, etc. etc. etc. I am somewhat considering trading in my 2002 Sierra SLE on a 2004 pretty much the same truck. Or should you talk me into a Ford F-150 or Toyota Tundra?
  • rayt2rayt2 Member Posts: 1,208
    bmaige, scroll down a little more in pick-ups topic there is a discussion on the Duramax.

suit86, PLease no mention of that word Tundra on this board, it's poison to the soul !
    Here's an excerp from a post way back from heavy5022,

#3539 of 3587 147,000 miles by heavy5022 Oct 16, 2003 (4:37 pm)
    I have a 2000 1500 5.3, 3.73 ex cab sb. 2wd. Last I remember at least 147,000 on the clock. So far I have replaced The gas guage sending unit, a couple of belts, front door speakers (one was cracked)and a battery (pretty common in AZ).

ORIGINAL BRAKE PADS!!!!!!

He has a "piston slap" issue but it has not seemed to effect the longevity of the engine to date. That's a good thing!

Ray T.
  • bjl3bjl3 Member Posts: 22
    Has anyone had the Service 4WD display on the DIC. I have an 03 Silverado with 8900 miles. I looked at the owners manual, tried what it said. After a couple minutes it displayed this again. Guess I will be calling my dealer in the morning. Made it exactly one year to the date of purchase. First problem. Hopefully nothing serious. Thanks for any input.

BJL
  • gvoigtgvoigt Member Posts: 63
    If it is anything like mine, the dealership will install a new switch on the dash. They had a run of defective ones. Takes about 30 minutes if they have the switch.
    Here are a few pictures I tookm today (been awhile since i took any). I detailed the engine last weekend with zaino Z16 (i think thats the number). Does the engine bay look like it has 40K+ miles on it? I worked my butt off to get it somewhat clan (over 2 hrs)

• jrkracejrkrace Member Posts: 32
    Quick and Easy. First I cover the alternator with a plastic shopping bag. Then I spray Simple Green on a cold engine. Let it soak and rinse with the garden hose. Start it up let it idle then take it for a spin. Let it dry completely and spray the whole thing down with Extra Shine Armor-All. Wipe down some of the puddles and a quick buff and I am done. 30 minutes tops. Just my .02.
  • jrkracejrkrace Member Posts: 32
    remove the plastic bag before start up.
    Your picture trigger finger is broke again ! Where's the pictures, bwhahahaha Couldn't resist !

Ray T.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    If you copy/paste the links into your browser you will be able to see the pics. Course that doesn't say much about Ryan's grasp of html.

But hey, it's a Silverado topic not html. A pic or lack thereof says a thousand words...

Good luck on this one now!!
  • bballabballa Member Posts: 56
    Has anyone run a power cable from the battery through the firewall to an amplifier mounted under the rear seat of an ex cab Silverado/ Sierra pick up. If so where did you go through the fire wall. Did you drill your own hole or use an existing hole. I'm using 4 gauge wire. Thanks, Rich
  • blackmax200blackmax200 Member Posts: 255
    Weeeellllll, looks nice... but maybe too good. The upper radiator hose never looked this shiny.

And BTW Ryan, you ought to change the brake fluid as it is looking pretty bad. Ryan this is for real, not the sumer/winter air thing. You use a squeeze bulb or "turkey baister" kind of thing and get all the old fluid out and then put new in. Bleed the fluid out the RR caliper bleeder to get the old stuff out of the ABS unit. Did mine about month ago when I changed the pads and rotors with some new prototype I was sent to try. Pedal even feels better now, firmer. I live on a dusty road so didn't bother with the engine wash thing.

Funny how each one of us can look at a pic and see something different where our interest/background lies.

matthew
    Pics work fine for me. I see em.

Thanks for the tip about the Fluid Matt. How often do you change yours?

Oh yea as far as a dusty road i work at one of the most dirty/dusty places on earth. Its so bad they use water trucks to water down the road to keep the dust from going airborne so much (EPA rule)

Ryan
  • jaguar0027jaguar0027 Member Posts: 387
    Truck looks pretty good man. Why dont you swing on over by my place so you can clean mine up!

LOL

Jag
    is 3 boxes with red "x's" in them, so no link to even paste. The armor-all seemed to work well enough the one time I did it and lasted a couple months.
    Now the brake fluid change I haven't done yet but soon and I use the same "tool" Matthew talked about. It can even be adapted if the baster won't fit in the area with a length of 3/8 clear hose.

Ray T.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Right click on the box with the red X and choose Properties. A properties box for the image will open and you'll see the URL for the image. Just highlight and copy it, then paste it into the address bar to see the image.

Welcome to the Mazda Mania Weekly Chat!

Don't miss the newest addition to our live chat events here in Town Hall. Join us every Tuesday from 6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET for our Mazda Mania Chat!

Whether you own a Mazda, would like to own a Mazda, or just like going ZOOM ZOOM ZOOM... be sure to stop by and meet and greet your fellow Town Hall users! (We may even pull out some Mazda triva questions)

/direct/view/.ef1b553

PF Flyer
    Host
    Pickups & News & Views Message Boards
  • jasonpeterclarjasonpeterclar Member Posts: 30
    Haven't posted in a year or so. Been enjoying my 01 Silverado. Noticed an antifreeze odor about 3 months ago when the engine was hot. Kept checking coolant for loss but no significant leakage. Finally saw the red stain on the back of the engine block while I was changing the oil. Felt around for any wetness behind the engine (tight in there!) and couldn't find any other than the dry red stain. Anyway, finally got to a point with work and family that I could drop the truck off for a while, figuring a head gasket was leaking at the worst. The service mgr called back the next day and said there was a crack running from the rear freeze plug hole to the rearmost head bolt hole on the drivers side head. Nice. Anyway, it's still under warranty, so now I'm thrashing on a loaner LeSabre while my truck gets a new head at 30,000 miles. The service mgr said he has never seen this problem with the new small block engines. Either in a Camaro, Corvette, or Truck product. I guess I'm a trend setter. Probably a casting defect anyway. Maybe I'll get to see the old head when I pick it up this week
  • themailman1themailman1 Member Posts: 95
    Has anyone had a problem with a soft brake pedal? It almost goes to the floor boards. It is an 01 Sierra Short bed, 5.3 Z71. At 21,000 they turned all 4 rotors because they were rusted. Any help?
  • balichbalich Member Posts: 62
    Folks,

What the deal with the oil change sensor ....
    I for the 1st time last night just seen the CHANGE OIL warning ...

I currently got 5600 miles on the truck ...

I just changed my oil 600 miles ago and today my
    CHANGE OIL WARNING appears briefly everytime
    I start my vehicle and quickly goes away ...it
    comes on briefly each time I start the truck ..

Two questions ...

1. Does this CHANGE OIL come on at a pre-determined time or does it actually test the oil
    to determine it needs to be changed ?

2. Secondly .. how does one reset the CHANGE OIL warning ?

Thanks in advance!!!
    1) Oil minder comes on when the computer sensor reads the oil to be dirty by a predetermined built in factor.
    2) Turn key on but don't start, depress gas pedal 3 times in 5 seconds, this resets the oil change interval indicator.
    This instruction is in your owners manual.

Ray T.
  • balichbalich Member Posts: 62
    Just for clarification:

My oil is fine .. I just need to reset ?
    After you change your oil you have to reset the monitoring system. Following the directions given previously
    Has anyone run a heavy gauge power cable from the battery through the firewall? If so, where in the firewall? Also has anyone removed the rear seat in an ex-cab GMC/Chevy (1999-2003). Any directions or instructions would be welcome!
  • z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    Removing the rear seat is easy - pull the bottom of the seat up until it locks - remove the 4 nuts from the bottom of the seat frame. Pick seat straight up and your done. The rear of the seat is held in place by a bracket - but it does not need to be removed to take the seat out.
  • seeligseelig Member Posts: 590
    well i never thought i'd say this, but the Silverado phase in my life is over...........took the drive in a Jag yesterday on a windy road in the rain.............needless to say, i literally hated to get back into the Rado.
    if Chevy hadn't Avalanched the front end like they did, they'd have gotten my money for the 3rd time, but there design center is out in nah nah land and thus steered me to another direction.
    nice going GM!!!.....;-))
    balich......I was answering what you asked !!!!!

"Two questions ...

1. Does this CHANGE OIL come on at a pre-determined time or does it actually test the oil
    to determine it needs to be changed ?

2. Secondly .. how does one reset the CHANGE OIL warning ?"

Read the manual, it tells you a lot about what you bought and the "messenger center" broadcasts.

Seelig, bet ya can't haul lumber in that Jaguar though bwahahahaha. Sorry couldn't resist. As life changes so do our needs, thus your Rado days are over. I don't really care for the new front end look either but GM has another 7 years to get it right before I buy another truck.
    Have fun with the Jag I know exactly why you bought it. My little play toy I can throw in the bed of the Rado....a Mini Cooper, I commute 100 miles a day and for obvious reasons the truck is not practical for that use.
    Let's Motor !

Ray T.
    i still have and will continue to use my '00 ext. cab long bed.
    it's the one that GM gave me the extended warranty on and it paid off at 98,000 when the original tranny started flaring during the 2-3 shift..........GM replace the tranny..........still happy with the truck, but the wife was really tired of here beast anyways.
    thanks z71bill, I do need to take off the seat back also. A good place to mount an amp. I'll look at it on my next day off if the weather is nice. thanks again !
  • tk0329tk0329 Member Posts: 3
    Are there any lube points(11) that are almost impossible to get?
    Thanks
    Tk try this

http://www.gm-trucks.com/IAR_zerks.shtml

(PF please dont delete or warn me about this. This is a helpful page and will be of help to many)

Also Mike my condolences on your loss :(
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Member Posts: 2,242
    on the right side below the glovebox there is a large rubber grommet that has wiring coming through. Don't mean to be vague, but it was three years ago when I ran an antennae coax through there. Put a little silicon grease on a phillips head screw driver and gently run it through first. This will both stretch and lube the grommet making it easier to feed the wire through.

Jim
    you kiddin????
    i'm happy as a lark pal...........the Jag felt so good that i hated to get back in the rado.........
  • bigfurbigfur Member Posts: 649
    Bit of a change of view id have to assume?
  • txyank1txyank1 Member Posts: 1,010
    in the Family. But I don't want to give up my Truck (Av now) and neither does my Wife ('96 Explorer). I drive by a Pre-Owned lot every day that specializes in Jaguars .....droool, droool! Sitting right out front is the most beautiful White S-Type.
  • algaetechalgaetech Member Posts: 1
    I am writing concerning my 01 Silverado K15. Where can I find under-dash accessory power for an after-market belt clutch and control system. My dealer says go to the fuse panel, but it doesn't appear to offer access. Am I missing something?
    Try the fuse panel under the hood if no spares under dash to do the job.

Ray T.
  • kcflyerkcflyer Member Posts: 78
    Can anyone give me a real world opinion of quadrasteer. I'm considering a new 2500 crew cab and since this will be my wife's daily driver and we live in the northeast I think this might be a useful option. The streets in Pittsburgh are narrow and the parking spots are tight. We need a six passenger vehicle and towing a boat and hauling quads on the weekends is really taxing her minivan. Any thoughts on the Crew Cab in general would be helpful. Thanks.
    For narrow streets the quadrasteer may help going around a street corner. Parking in tight spots will be easier but not if you get trapped in place by some inconsiderate jerk.
    Something to think about too is your going from a minivan that measures 200" long by 78 1/2" wide to a truck that measures 237" long by 80" wide.
    My 2 cents worth.

Ray T.
  • gr8radgr8rad Member Posts: 1
    Can someone tell me how to deactivate the door locks that automatically lock when the silverado hits 11mph?
    Instructions are in your owners manual in the glove box ! Follow the steps.
  • uncommonmanuncommonman Member Posts: 65
    My son has an '02 GMC Sierra Denali with Q/S which I have driven several times. It's nothing less than amazing. You pull up to a spot only a really small car could easily pull into, and the next thing you know, there you are. The approach to a tight spot does not have to be so deep like a large truck usually requires. The ladys love parking it too! And the plastic box sides are a bonus.
    Someone correct me if im mistaken, but i dont believe that the Q/S is even an option on the 2500 models??? Might have to look into that question first and formost. Maybe a 1500hd crew cab would work for ya?
  • kcflyerkcflyer Member Posts: 78
    First, thanks for the input. The 4WS as they call it is available on the 2500. (and they have cut the price in half from 03)As of now the 1500HD is a thing of the past. The 04 model is simple called a 2500. There is also a 2500HD which is basically what was previously the 2500. A new 1500 crew cab is due out in April.

Does anyone know the turning radius of a crew cab, short or long bed with quadrasteer. The only numbers on the GM web site are for a Yukon XL which is almost two feet shorter in wheelbase and overall length. The Yukon XL with 4WS turns in 36.5 feet. By way of comparison the new Toyota Sienna, (the other vehicle we are considering) turns in 36.8 feet. I think the turning radius of the much larger Yukon really shines when you look at it that way.

Uncommonman, how does your son's truck handle at highway speeds, and have you experienced any muddy or snowy conditions in it. Also, what about maintenance? For example, is alignment and tire wear a problem?

I welcome any additional comments from those with first hand experience. I may be crazy but I really think this 4WS could make the big brute quite tame and suitable for the varity of things we need our next family wagon to do.
  • volkejvolkej Member Posts: 108
    Looks like someone is finally going after GM for the engine knock problem. Just saw a news item that says 3 people are sueing and their attorneys are trying to get the lawsuit certified as a class action.
    It's about time.
  • volkejvolkej Member Posts: 108
    Billion Dollar Lawsuit Filed Against GM
    By Rod Hansen WJR News
    Updated: November 14, 2003 5:00 p.m.

DETROIT - MICH -- General Motors is the object of a one billion dollar lawsuit.

The suit filed in Detroit federal court claims the high-end trucks with V-8 engines built from 1999 to 2002 develop exaggerated piston slapping. It's described in the suit as a loud, obnoxious noise that makes it difficult to resell the vehicle.

Attorneys are asking Judge John Corbett O'Meara to certify the suit as a class action that could involve as many as 800,000 GM customers.
    SIGN ME UP!!!
    what are they going to argue. The engines have a noise??? I mean if they have some actual data (like engine failures and such) they will have the case in the bag but if they argue engine noise and thats it i dont see them winning it
This discussion has been closed.