Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735

I think this version lends itself very well to being a good platform for a Gladiator. :)

-Paul
  • 99tj99tj Member Posts: 187
    interesting.....I like it. When I first heard "4 door Wrangler" I winced. I think they got it right though.

Your right Paul, you can definitely see how the Gladiator could be made from this.

-Dan
  • scottsburg4scottsburg4 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 87' wrangler with a 4.2 liter 258. I believe the transmission is made by peugoet. Will the 2.5 L4 engine from that year fit the tranny? Thanks Brian
  • pblythepblythe Member Posts: 1
    My 2006 TJ Sahara overheats whenever it is going uphill. I've replaced the thermostat, had it power flushed twice, and added a higher capacity radiator. Nothing seems to help. Any ideas?
    Only uphill? If it is a 2006, I'd take it to the dealer and have them figure it out. Perhaps the coolant isn't cycling - water pump maybe? I dunno.

Mac?????

-Paul
    I believe the transmissions are different between the 4 and 6 cylinder engines. That said, I don't know if the mating points are the same. Mac would probably know though. :)

-Paul
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    Why have you added a higher capacity radiator? The standard radiator is more than adequate and shouldn't need flushing on a new vehicle.

You possibly have a head gasket problem which appears under load, i.e. when going uphill. Let your dealer take care of it under warranty.
    I have a 87' wrangler with a 4.2 liter 258. I believe the transmission is made by peugoet. Will the 2.5 L4 engine from that year fit the tranny?

I'm not sure, but probably not. The Peugeot BA10/5 was only used on the 4.2 from '87 until early '89, and I'm not aware of a bellhousing to suit the 2.5.

Why not do things a little differently. First, the Peugeot transmission is possibly the worst ever fitted to a Jeep. Next, the 2.5 isn't the greatest of engines in a Wrangler, and the fuel consumption is about the same as the 4.0. The 2.5 will also struggle with the gearing of your axles.

Just a thought, but why not consider dropping in a later 4.0?
  • randyacerandyace Member Posts: 96
    Hello, everyone.

Thought I'd share something I did to my dash. I wanted to do something to offset the stark gray interior, adding some contrast and a bit of customizing. Instead of getting a resin dash kit with pieces I don't want (at a big price), I used some leftover marine vinyl to make a few dash "inserts".

The pics show my first prototypes. After making a template and cutting them, I sprayed the back with spray-on adhesive purchased at WalMart. I simply pressed them in place and held in place for a minute or two.

The adhesive is semi-permanent, so they're removable if you get tired of them, or just want to change the design. I pulled one of the two pieces you see on the shift boot plate off 3 days after I put it on, and it removed easily. The slight adhesive residue left on the boot plate came off easily with a damp rag.

I know this isn't for everyone, but for someone like me who likes a bit of contrast to an all-gray (or whatever) interior, this is a very inexpensive..and fun...way to "change things up a bit".

Just thought I'd share!

Randy

http://www.carspace.com/rpinks_99/?50@@.59a2c686!photoLoc=.59a2c690&skipNext=0&s- ubmitNext=1&noThumbs=1#pic
  • drewmeisterdrewmeister Member Posts: 168
    Here's a closeup of the interior. I'll bet everyone on this forum will notice very quickly which lever is missing...

http://www.leftlanenews.com/wp-content/plugins/iimage-gallery.php?idpost=2317&id- g=1&idi=4
  • skyking49skyking49 Member Posts: 112
    I have an 06 Wrangler X. After a short drive I can hear a hissing sound coming from the front of the radiator. It it not overheating and may be normal...any suggestions or comments from folks that have heard the same sound?
  • wpowellwpowell Member Posts: 125
    Does this happen only after a short drive? It is likely coolant flowing from the radiator into the overflow jug. The coolant heats up after the engine is shut down which will often cause it to overflow. Then, as it cools down it is pulled back into the radiator. This is all very normal stuff. You aren't losing any coolant, right?
  • yjohnyjohn Member Posts: 32
    I'm looking for some advice on fixing rust out on my YJ. My main problem areas are on the sides, just below the JEEP stamp below the doors. I hear that many have this problem. Anyway, I was wondering what the best approach would be. I have seen that replacement panels are available from JC Whitney, but I wonder if it would just be better to weld in patches myself. If anyone has experience with this, I would really like some advice.

John
  • I wonder if that implies it'll have an AWD option or use a push-button to engage 4-Hi/4-Low rather than a transfer case lever?
  • salemnysalemny Member Posts: 2
    I have a 89 jeep with leaf springs and track bar. I've replaced the shocks but I'm getting a clunck when the jeep shifts weight from side to side.Like when pulling into a
    driveway or parking lot. I can't firgure out what it is!!
    Going down the road it drives fine. something is a miss though.. PLEASE HELP........... :sick:
    Most likely, I'd bet that those interior pics are of a 2WD version. The 4 door version is available with 2WD only as an option (blasphemy IMO). 4WD will be available.

-Paul
    It really depends on your welding and bodywork skills. There's nothing with putting in a patch as long as the surrounding metal is sound. Make sure you do a stepped flange, rather than a butt or overlap joint. A small MIG welder is perfectly adequate for this kind of repair.
  • drewmeisterdrewmeister Member Posts: 168
    That sounds plausible. There appears to be a "dent" or hole where you would expect the transfer case shifter to be. That may mean that the shifter would be there on a 4wd model.

A 2wd Wrangler. Weird. Not since the DJ...
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Here's the Edmunds blurb and pics:

Jeep Unveils Stretched 2007 Wrangler (Inside Line)

$21,000 USD is the price prediction.

Steve, Host
    2wd Wrangler :confuse: makes no sense to me.

-Dan
    "The Chrysler Group brand says the Wrangler Unlimited will feature hundreds of different top, door and windshield combinations..."

hundreds?!?

-Dan
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    hundreds?!?

You can accomplish that with as few as 7 or 8 options. :)

tidester, host
  • nolid5nolid5 Member Posts: 148
    Do I also see that they call it a 5 passenger Unlimited? Isn't the current version of the Unlimited only a 4 passenger?
    Very interesting.
    The dial that changes heat/vent/air has stopped working on my '99 TJ(or so I thought). Heat/air is only blowing through the defrost slot, no matter what setting it's on.

I bought a new control panel, installed it, and to my dismay the problem is still there. Does this ring a bell with anybody. Any ideas what might be going on?

-Dan
    I think I found the answer. A TSB from '99 about the door vacuum actuator.

Heater & A/C - Will Not Switch To Panel Mode

NUMBER: 24-12-99

GROUP: Heating & A/C

DATE: July 2, 1999

SUBJECT:
    The Heating and A/C System will not switch to the instrument panel outlet mode.

OVERVIEW:
    This bulletin involves installing a panel/demist door vacuum actuator.

MODELS:

1999 (TJ) Wrangler
    1999 (XJ) Cherokee

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:

The heating and NC system may not switch to the panel mode. This could be caused by a leaking diaphragm in the panel/demist door vacuum actuator. This symptom could be intermittent and system could switch back and forth from the panel mode while driving.

DIAGNOSIS:

Apply vacuum to the panel/demist door actuator using a hand actuated vacuum pump containing a vacuum gauge. The actuator should hold vacuum indefinitely. If the vacuum bleeds off, the diaphragm is leaking. Perform the Repair Procedure.

PARTS REQUIRED:

1 04864995 Panel/demist Door Vacuum Actuator

REPAIR PROCEDURE:

THIS REPAIR IS COMPATIBLE WITH DAIMLERCHRYSLER'S MOBILE SERVICE PROGRAM AND DOES NOT REQUIRE HOISTS OR OTHER FULL SERVICE FACILITY SPECIAL EQUIPMENT.

1. Disconnect and isolate the negative battery cable.

2. Remove the knee blocker from the instrument panel.

3. Unplug the vacuum line from the actuator (See Figure 1).

4. Insert a trim stick or other suitable wide flat-bladed tool into the actuator mount latch hole to release the latch and gently pry the actuator outwards to remove it from the mount (See Figure 2).

5. Rotate and tilt the actuator to as required to disengage the actuator link from the door lever. Remove the actuator.

6. Install the new actuator, p/n 04864995, by installing the link onto the door lever.

7. Install the actuator onto the mount.

8. Connect the vacuum line.

9. Install the knee blocker.

10. Connect the negative battery cable.
  • birdjaguarbirdjaguar Member Posts: 15
    hundreds?!?

Yeeehawww! :shades:
    http://www.jeep.com/en/07wranglerunlimited/gallery/index.html

A bunch more pics at Jeep.com, including a Rubi with half doors and hard top versions. Pretty sharp.

-Dan
    Nice. I like the half doors. I wonder if the uppers are cloth or if they just use sliders now... :)

Image hosting by Photobucket

-Paul
  • nolid5nolid5 Member Posts: 148
    I agree, Paul, I think the half doors look really good.

Rich
  • goducks1goducks1 Member Posts: 432
    Rather than pay $125 or whatever to quadtratec I made my own. Used it today. Nicked the wood from a construction site down the street (aka the 2x4 relay) and the berber carpet from a neighbor who was replacing hers. $10 were for the 4 wheels on the bottom from Home Depot, 2 fixed and 2 swivel. Works like a charm. Behold:

Have you been polishing your hardtop? It looks shiny in the last pic.
    Not exactly. When I took it off last year, I took a paintbrush and covered it with Penetrol, aka the amazing $10 hardtop restoration. Worked wonderfully, the top just drank it up. I slathered it on there, used about 1/2 can, then let it dry in a sheltered place for a few days since it's sticky at first. Highly recommended. Just be careful not to get it on the windows. We've used it to restore boat fiberglass before so I figured why not.
  • wyoforesterwyoforester Member Posts: 25
    The cart is a great idea.

We have a 2006 Unlimited Rubicon in light khaki w/ a factory khaki hardtop. The Jeep/hardtop are new(5 wks. old)What do you and other forum folks recommend to maintain the top? Vehicle is garaged at home and at work, but taken off pavement every week and returns with lots of crud, mud and dirt. The dlr. says Mopar Finish Enhancer(?).
    Harbor Freight has a mover's dolly for about $20 you could probably expand to fit easily enough (I love casters; my home office is on a slab and both desks and the hutch are on casters).

Ducks, do you do anything else with the fiberglass besides brushing the Penetrol on it? My buddy just got an older 21' glass sailboat that could use a little brightening.

Steve, Host
    Now what the heck are you going to do with a sailboat in Idaho? Nah, just brush it on after you've scrubbed it clean. It might be a smart idea to test it on a small spot using a rag first. And it will be sticky for a couple days until it sets. I've heard people say it doesn't last but we've never had a problem. You just have to make sure you slather it on to get a solid coat.
    Now what the heck are you going to do with a sailboat in Idaho?

Check this out: Southern Idaho Sailing Association

If you hurry you can make it on time for the Rust Remover Regatta! :)

tidester, host
    This one is getting parked at Lucky Peak reservoir. Between my two canoes and my buddy's two catarafts, canoe and now the sailboat, we could do our own regatta.

I never did find any photos from the 70's of my '74 CJ-5 with the bumper welded canoe rack to load on my CarSpace page. Talk about a Rube Goldberg contraption. I broke the welds several times bumping down dirt roads to the rivers. That Jeep saved a few long portages. ;)

Steve, Host
  • jacknimblejacknimble Member Posts: 171
    Just how many windshield variations can there be? Will they be offering a split windsheild version? :)
  • johnchongjohnchong Member Posts: 2
    i was just wondering if anybody knows any good shops where they lift and do tires. i have a stock used 2003 sport, and i'm thinking of getting 33" tires on my stock wheel, and lifting it 3". or should i go 4" if you have any good shops that will give good deals and good service please help me out.

i'm also debating on 3" lift or 4"
    Use a 2 1/2" to 3" suspension lift plus a 1" body lift, unless this is a street cruiser, when you can get away with a minimal or no lift at all.
  • wyoforesterwyoforester Member Posts: 25
    6 wks. ago we purchased a 2006 Unlimited Rubicon with the factory hardtop(dark khaki). Any suggestions for keeping the top looking new?
    Sort of. :blush:

Jeep at the NY auto show (Straightline)

Steve, Host
    I'm going to the show this Sunday. Can't wait.
    I'll take lots of pics and post'em when I get a chance.
    Maybe I'll even use CarSpace ;)

One thing I won't be doing is waiting in that line for the "off road" ride. last year it wrapped around the building..much too long a wait.

-Dan
  • scampscamp Member Posts: 4
    First let me introduce myself. I am a 53 year old woman with a 95 Jeep Wrangler. Silly I know, but what can I say. I LOVE JEEPS! Anyway.....I couldn't wait to take the top and doors off so I did it last Thursday. That night it stormed like crazy! Monday and today I drove it to work and the temps have been 43 degrees, So here I am driving down the highway with my winter coat, gloves and knit hat, with the heater blowing full blast. The people at work think I am absolutely crazy. But until they own a Jeep, they will never understand that feeling. Just wanted to share with people who know what I'm talking about. Thanks for listening.
    Nothing wrong with being fifty three! Happens to us all if we're lucky. :blush:
    Happened this year to a few of us, lol; I was barely able to snowboard my age this winter.

Isn't it hard to do the Jeep Wave all bundled up like that? :shades:

Welcome Scamp!

Steve, Host
  • wrnglr57wrnglr57 Member Posts: 4
    Yep Ive been past Minonk. I know the feeling of being without the jeep. I had my cat. converter go bad and it took some stuff with it. I paid about 700.00 to get it all back. I still have some carb probs. but thats easily fixed. Is a 95 a tj also? Coulcnt remember if 94 was the last year for the yj's. Nice to meet y9u. Hope you get her back soon. Great weather coming for top down!
  • wrnglr57wrnglr57 Member Posts: 4
    LOOKS like they sorta muscled it up like a hummer. i allways wonder if anybody would take one of those off-road?
    Looks like with all of that high tech paint, you woiuldnt dare scratch it up. Just wondered....
    LOOKS like they sorta muscled it up like a hummer. i allways wonder if anybody would take one of those off-road?

Oh, Hummers get taken offroad occasionally! :shades:

tidester, host