Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    95's are Wranglers, but not TJ's. They are the YJ's and are easily spotted by the rectangular headlights.

-Paul
  • wheelsdownwheelsdown Member Posts: 250
    Martin,

When you take that Hummer "offroad" in the swamp like that, do you get any water in the cabin area? Does it ever get in deep enough to try to float?

Terry
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    Only if the windows are down! ;)

No, I maybe get a teaspoonful or two come in past the door seals, which aren't very high tech but seem to work fine as long as the door is adjusted correctly. The approved technique is to pull the floor drain plugs and let the interior fill to the depth of the outside water (30" for the civilian version and about double that for the military), then drive along the bottom. I prefer to let it float, which it starts to do at around 30", rather than deal with the detailing afterwards. I can vary the buoyancy to a certain extent from the drivers seat by altering the tire pressures up or down.

Of course, we're talking recreational situations here. If I was getting into anything serious I'd pull the plugs in a heartbeat.
  • barnz_69barnz_69 Member Posts: 75
    Of course, we're talking recreational situations here. If I was getting into anything serious I'd pull the plugs in a heartbeat.

Geez, Mac, your 'recreational' situations sound like fun...

I love taking my Jeep off road, but letting her 'float' would be more 'serious' than 'recreational' for me! lol :P

Ryan
    It's not something I do on a regular basis. :)

In a confined still water situation as in the pic it's safe enough, but in moving water like a stream it's all too easy to get swept away.

I should also point out that I was in dirty water rather than mud in that pic. I don't usually get into deep mud with any vehicle if I can help it. It's far too easy to get stuck and/or sustain damage, either at the time or later from the abrasive effect of the mud on bearings and seals. Driving through deep mud doesn't require much skill either. Just needs plenty of momentum and a heavy right foot, then you either get through or you don't. Deep mud is really the province of specially built vehicles.
  • wpowellwpowell Member Posts: 125
    Got my mall crawler in the woods last weekend. We had a great time climbing some hills and playing in a lot of off camber stuff. Also drove about 15 miles of washboard clay roads to get there. When I got back on the pavement I noticed that I had acquired some suspension "creaking" sounds every time turned sharply or did anything else that flexed the suspension at all. Bugged the hell out of me for days until I finally figured out that it was the Body Armor rocker protection that I had bolted on right before I headed to the woods. These rails bolt to the frame (only, nothing in the body) using the factory frame-to-body bolts. It appears that every time the frame flexes the damn things creak/groan. Looks like I'm gonna have to pull them back off and get something between the rails and the frame/body to dampen them. I guess the good news is I didn't actually break anything in the woods :D
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    Try some Tough Stuff rocker guard. It attaches to one end and you can easily use it here. It should help. I used it on my body mounted rockers AND on my mirror relocator brackets.

http://www.toughstuffproducts.com/jeep/rocker_guard.html

You can get it from a variety of sources. This SHOULD stop the metal/metal sound and actually protect and keep it from making noises.

-Paul
    Thanks Paul. That's a good suggestion, but I don't think it will work in this application. These things have three steel channels that mount "open side up" over the ears that protrude from the frame to support the body. So, I don't have flat surface to flat surface contact. I think I can split something tough like fuel line and cover the edges of the channels. This sh ould give me a fairly tough barrier. Poor design IMHO.
    Can someone give me some pointers on when to engage my factory Rubi lockers, and maybe more importantly when NOT to? A couple of recent examples: I'm approaching a mud hole in a national forest road that doesn't look too intimidating, but I never know what nut with 44's has dug ruts that I could hide my jeep in. Lock then or wait 'til I'm in trouble? Another one: climbing some sandy hills that are very tough w/o the lockers engaged. I lock up and get to the top where I'm on firm ground and need to do a tight "10-point" turn because there are trees everywhere. Unlock until I'm right back into the soft stuff or leave 'em locked while making all of these tight turns to get headed back down the hill? My concern is that best case I will use my lockers as a crutch and never develop better driving skills, or worse case I may do some drivetrain damage over time by using them inappropriately. Help! :confuse:
    Good question! See my last post for my views on deep mud. However, in the situation you describe a lot depends on whether you are alone or not. If on your own then do everything possible to bypass the mud pit. While lockers might get you through, they could just as easily get you several yards deeper before you get stuck. If you have a buddy with a winch then go for it (there's not much skill needed for deep mud). Better still, if you have a winch then send him in first! :shades:

In the second case, unlock and stop at the top of the hill. Maneuver as necessary, then lock up again for more soft or loose stuff.

The best way to get through an obstacle is to engage 4WD, then lockers if required, before you start to lose traction. The best way to learn off roading skill though, is to attempt various different scenarios without 4WD and lockers, then bring them in progressively as required. However, you can't learn the limits without getting stuck, so plan your escape route accordingly. Preferably have a buddy or two with you (in separate vehicles) and be suitably equipped for recovery.

Finally, two basic rules. First, there's no shame in finding yourself stuck (unless it's in the parking lot at the mall :blush: ), and second, it's harder to get unstuck than not to get stuck in the first place. In other words, once you lose traction (easy), you have to regain it (not so easy). So, you learn not to get stuck by finding how you do get stuck, which is all part of the fun! :D
  • greddengredden Member Posts: 30
    Does anyone know if Wranglers will run on the E85 ethnol fuel? These rising gas prices are killing me!
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    If anyone is interested we have this discussion: Welcome E85 Enthusiasts!

tidester, host
  • keatskeats Member Posts: 412
    It might just be that that the rocker gaurds are loose. Try applying some locktight and tighten up the bolts again. I've had to do this a couple of times with my Jeepermans. Mine made more of a squeek than a groan, though.
    Great suggestions, Mac. From the factory the lockers only work while in 4-lo. If I had to go through mud, I'd want 4-hi and a lot of gas. As has been pointed out, you need a lot of wheel spin to help clear the mud from the tire lugs.

A common mod for Rubi owners is the "locker bypass" which enables one to use the lockers in 4-hi. I have not attempted this, since I'd like to keep my warranty in tact.

I've only engaged my lockers on two occassions on very steep hills. About an hour from here down in MS, the majority of the trails can easily be done in 2wd.
  • offroadmaniac1offroadmaniac1 Member Posts: 3
    whats up fellas. my question is: i recently bought a 2000 jeep wrangler and i want to install my own stereo but i cant figure out how to remove the factory one. anybody have any helpful hints??
    The locker bypass is a quick and very helpful mod. I did it and am very pleased. I could undo it in 10 minutes if I needed to for warranty purposes. Will post directions if anyone needs them.
    The locker bypass is a quick and very helpful mod.......

I agree. I think the restriction comes from liability (rather than mechanical) concerns.
  • highdeserthighdesert Member Posts: 12
    Offroad, check out this site.

http://www.jeephorizons.com/tech/stereo/

Dennis
  • jefferson1964jefferson1964 Member Posts: 330
    i traded in my 98 grand for a vibe... and let my wife drive the rubi unlimited....I had not choice I drive 45-50K a year and 16-17mpg with my wrangler or grand was just killn my budget...now its $3 here...and read that if any hurricane starts up or middle east with iran gets worse...$4-5 is not out of the question....

soon only those with lots of disposable income will drive the low mpg vehicles which just happen to be the most fun ones, lol....i luv my wrangler and its in the family for a long long time...its just be put on short trip status....

:cry:
  • mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    It looks like we'll sell the '98 Sport soon and buy something with better mileage - the Unlimited is getting a bit too hard on our budget also. And our summer vacation plans have changed - instead of a 3,000 mile road trip to Colorado and Utah, we had thought about a camping trip to Redwoods National Park. Now we're thinking of staying home (sigh). The Unlimited is only 19 months old and has over 80,000 miles - too much for gas prices now (and I'm heading to Vegas again tomorrow - double sigh).
    My gosh, 80K in 19 months? I'm at 23 months with 14k and I drive every day. That is amazing.
  • offroadmaniac1offroadmaniac1 Member Posts: 3
    off subject but who cares. do you by any chance know how to remove the factory stereo from a jeep?? i have a 2000 wrangler and i cant figure out how the hell to get it out so i can put my stereo in. any input would be much appreciated!!
    ......do you by any chance know how to remove the factory stereo from a jeep??......

You asked exactly the same question yesterday, and it was answered the same day by 'highdesert' with a link to an article describing just how to do it.
  • jeff62301jeff62301 Member Posts: 310
    Brett,

my unlimited is lifted,

and yes I had it done nearly immediately after buying the jeep, ( my first jeep ) I've not been off road nearly as many times as I thought I would, but still glad I had it done. mine has a 3.5 Rubicon Express Susp lift and 1 inch of body lift. 33x10.5 All Terrains.

drop me an email (my email address in my profile) I'll give you a few more details of my experience(s) with a lifted unlimited.

Jeff

Neither top is on, doors are off. Glad jeeps have great heaters, even when its a bit chilly I'd much rather ride around topless than drive the volvo.
  • davids1davids1 Member Posts: 411
    My "95 Rio Grande has a hard top with a very rough texture. Do you think the penetrol will help to brighten it up somewhat? I was looking into sanding and painting but don't want to go to the expense.

Thanks,
  • goducks1goducks1 Member Posts: 432
    I don't see why it wouldn't work. Texture is unimportant, it should brighten it alot. Pick up a can (I think it's around $8) and try a small spot on the roof. What do you have to lose?
  • davids1davids1 Member Posts: 411
    I may just give it a try. Does the penetrol actually form a hard finish/shell or just soak in and give a sheen?
  • birdjaguarbirdjaguar Member Posts: 15
    So what are you gonna drive??
    The Wrangler is about the only vehicle I can tolerate to drive. I can't stand those low-rider passenger cars, sedans, or the big boat luxury cars, or the humongous trucks. And most of these don't have removable tops.
    Uh, both? It definitely soaks in, especially if you have alot of sun fade bleaching. But it also does leave a light hard finish if you slather it on the way I do. Or if you get it on the windows or your body paint and let it dry, which you don't want to do.
  • durability05durability05 Member Posts: 142
    Speaking of over $3 a gallon regular unleaded, I use to remember back in the Seventies, that 4WD's used Free Wheeling Hubs, my 82 Toyota 4x4 came with those standard and so did my 89 Toyota 4x4. Anyway my 04 Wrangler X with a 5 speed gets 16 mpg average, mostly Highway driving. I wonder if a Wrangler could take a Free Wheeling Hub, it could probably get a 15% increase in mileage?
    I wonder if a Wrangler could take a Free Wheeling Hub, it could probably get a 15% increase in mileage?

They're available (TJ Front Hub Kit), but not for the purpose of fuel saving. I doubt you'd get 1.5% let alone 15%..............and even if you did get 15% it might take a while to recoup the $1.3K+. :shades:

• mcrrtmcrrt Member Posts: 93
    I made the mistake of crunching some numbers today, and figured that I'd save about $1K a year if I switched from my 16mpg Unlimited to something that averaged about 25mpg. I've had my Unlimited about 2 years now and I still like it, but as a family man it's hard to ignore what seems like a financially "responsible" thing to do. :( Would someone care to offer me some reasons why I shouldn't do this?

By the way, where's Tom? I haven't seen him post lately.
    Did you take into account the money you'll lose in selling your Unlimited and purchasing something else? Not just the loss on your Jeep, but also tax, interest, overall asset value.

It rarely makes sense to change a vehicle just to save gas. However, if you're on the point of changing vehicles anyway then gas mileage obviously takes a high priority, especially a current gas prices.

Finally, would you change your Unlimited for something more economical that you really want to drive, or would it just be transport? When making your final decision, remember to allocate 'quality of life' a fair percentage of the total. :shades:
  • mcrrtmcrrt Member Posts: 93
    Mac,
    With the points you raise, it doesn't really make sense. I was only looking at the $1K/yr I'd save on gas, and the fact that I have about $5K of equity in the Jeep that could be put towards another vehicle. I hadn't taken into account the fact that I'd be taking a hit to the tune of $7,400 (depreciation since purchase). I'd have to save a LOT of gas to make up for that! ;) Any new vehicle that I could afford to purchase would be just a transportation piece (which I would justify by the fact that I have an old Firebird for "fun"), but I'll admit I'd rather have my Jeep. I guess I just didn't figure that keeping the Jeep was the "responsible" thing to do. Who woulda thought? :)
    I checked my 4WD Hardware catalog last night, and I saw the $1.3K price tag too, it would take at least 5 years to recoup, with my 10K a year drive. I'll stick with what the Wrangler has, back in the old days of my Toyota 4x4 it always was a hassle to get out and engage the hubs anyway.
    Reason why not
    1. The Unlimited is awesome to be seen in.
    2. 16 to 25 mpg only saves $1K/year, if you drove a new Honda Fit which is fun to drive etc, you can get 35 mpg and save $1500/year or more.
    3. The Unlimited has 4WD and off road capability.
    4. The Unlimited has an engine that will last 200,000 miles or 20 years easy, off course that is $20,000 more or higher in fuel if we factor inflation.
  • 99tj99tj Member Posts: 187
    Went to the Auto show on Sunday and saw some really cool concepts and of course Camp Jeep. The Jeep desk gave me a free T-Shirt just for showing them my Jeep ignition key.
    Sadly I only took about 4 Jeep pics. They're at the top of the photo album. Enjoy all of the pics :) -Dan

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/danleone_99/album?.dir=/4d1ere2
  • tyoshutyoshu Member Posts: 31
    I wish they would have had the good stuff like that at the Houston Auto show. It seems it is just getting worse every year.
    I'm going to talk to the credit union today about a loan for a Honda Fit. It is NOT going to replace the Unlimited - I'll sell the '98 Sport (relatively cheaply). I have a couple of reasons for doing this - my Mom doesn't drive any more so I need a car she can get in and out of (she can't get into the Wranglers). Since I have to buy something else anyway, the Fit's 38 mpg highway is very attractive and if gas stays above $3.00 a gallon, it would take me about 4 years to save enough in gas to pay for the car (remember - I drive around 50,000 miles per year). We both thought it was comfortable, inexpensive and would fit our needs. If I don't buy another car, we'd have to rent a car for a weekend once or twice a month. With the Sport sitting most of the time, it doesn't make sense not to. I sure do hate thinking about selling my Noble Black Steed, though, and a Fit (while practical) just isn't going to be a true worthy successor.

At least I'll still have the soft top Unlimited to play in, and a week-long trip planned to the Sierras in the fall.
    It's called compromise, and it sounds like you've made one where everybody wins. Your mom gets to ride comfortably, you get to keep the Unlimited and you still get the Sierras vacation!
  • drewmeisterdrewmeister Member Posts: 168
    How come all of us Wrangler owners also like Fits? I've shopped them myself...

I'm probably going to wind up taking over my wife's used Focus as a daily driver when she gets a new car, and keep the Jeep on weekend duty, instead. However, I must say the Fit had me intrigued. Enough that I'm on the mailing list.

Mtngal, I'm kind of surprised that you wouldn't go with something slightly larger for the highway. (Something like a 4cyl Camry?) I traded a GTI years ago because it was "buzzy" on the hwy. It did everything else I needed in College, (carrying stuff, good mileage, great in snow), but you know how it is. I got so sick of it I bought a V8 cougar because it would float down the interstate. Less interior room than the eco-box GTI, bad mileage, and the engine blew. But it was quiet. Especially when broken.
    Anyway, just curious about your thoughts driving it, since I was kind of afraid to get in that situation again. Did it feel way to small? Was it exhausting to cruise in?

Thanks
  • gman1259gman1259 Member Posts: 209
    I fully understand. When I move up the hill (when the house is done) my commute will be around 80 miles one-way and since my daughter will be driving soon I will be needing a third vehicle. I will not be selling either of my current cars, but I will definitely be getting something that gets good fuel economy. I am thinking Honda (or Toyota) Hybrid or a used Mini. I want something fun.
    What is a Fit? Mtngal, I'm amazed that you've driven the Ulimited that many miles a day. I don't think I could do that in mine if I had to make that kind of commute. You're making a very good decision.
    New Honda compact wagon. I'd get one as a second car or one of the other new wagons--the Mazda one looks pretty good too. They are not the penalty boxes of the past, the build quality is actually pretty good. And gosh the mileage would be nice wouldn't it?

Buddy of mine drives a Mini, the mileage is so-so though he has the Cooper S with the supercharger. The base is probably better.
    Finally! Quadratec says unlimited soft tops to be available April 30. Must have been a licensing issue. I've been waiting for a year! (Rather than pay dealer pricing of $1300+.)

Hopefully, aftermarket pricing will be good. If I had bought the Jeep new, I sure would have done the dual top option. If anyone is contemplating a new unlimited, be sure to do this from the factory.
    The Fit is cute, well built, and roomy inside with a number of innovations to make it more even more useful than what you would expect for an economy car. This is a case of economy, economy, economy. I thought about the Prius (my sister loves hers) but the mileage gains don't match up to the extra cost over something like the Fit. When you've been commuting those kinds of miles in an Unlimited or a Sport, the Fit isn't any worse sound-wise. Just won't have as much pick-up going uphill. It's easy to maneuver. Besides, I don't like sedans or coupes - give me a wagon or a truck anyday.
    Thanks! I totally agree. We have a sedan with no pass-through seat, and it's amazing how many times I need to carry stuff and can't. With my small trailer, the Jeep does anything.

I've read about the Fit's fold-up seats. Sounds like a good deal.
    We're going to do it - I've arranged to pick up a Fit tomorrow afternoon (silver, Sport, auto because they couldn't find a manual). Now to give my Noble Black Steed a last wash and vacuum and then place the ad. It's going to be strange to only have one Wrangler in the driveway, but if it's not my daily driver, I'll probably be more likely to take the top down. That's a neat thought!
  • zeistzeist Member Posts: 8
    I am an owner of a 2001 Jeep Wrangler Sahara with the factory hard top and am looking to buy a soft top for the summer. To anyone who knows, where is the best place to buy and what is the price range?
  • zeistzeist Member Posts: 8
    Are the Flip Top or Bestops decent soft tops?