Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado/GMC Sierra - Owners hangout

Comments

• smart99smart99 Member Posts: 48
    Professional Beer drinkers prefer cans. Why? those bottles make the trash too heavy. At least that's what the pros have told me.
  • mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    ...actually pro drinkers use kegs.....$10..one returnable.....and it don't fit in them annoying machines!

LOL

- Tim
  • erikheikererikheiker Member Posts: 230
    I remember when long bed was all you could get. It's all I've ever had and just yesterday I had the entire bed full of cargo. Most people have a truck because it's cool and they want one. I've had trucks most of my life and I have one because I use it. Trucks are the perfect Alaska vehicle. If I ever moved down to America I'd certainly want a car for any interstate driving.
  • eric2001eric2001 Member Posts: 482
    Are a necessity to any of you northerners who snowmobile. When was the last time any of you tried to stick a keg in that little pocket behind the seat. Or made the mistake of putting bottles back there for that matter. As for the 9' tables, too much green after too many cans of beer, can hardly see the far pockets, 8' much better...
    ....didn't buy a truck to be cool.....and don't sled...so kegs it is!

- Tim
  • dustyonedustyone Member Posts: 262
    see the following link for service bulletins, service manuals, recall notices from GM

..""http://si2kgmd:gmd0702d@service.gm.com/si2000/home.html""..

Several pages of the 2000 Service Manual ($125.00) have been compared to the online data.

They appear to be exactly the same..

• markbuckmarkbuck Member Posts: 1,021
    during any sport....

After, sure, but drink beer while snowmobiling. Heck NO!

PS. Engineer humor

> Q: What do engineers use for birth control?

> A: Their personalities.

>

> Q: How can you tell an extroverted engineer?

> A: When he talks to you, he looks at your shoes

> instead of his own.

>

> Q: Why did the engineers cross the road?

> A: Because they looked in the file and that's what they did last year.

>

> Q: How do you drive an engineer completely insane?

> A: Tie him to a chair, stand in front of him, and fold up a road map the wrong way.

>

> You might be an engineer if ....

>

> Choosing to buy flowers for your girlfriend or

> upgrading your RAM is a moral dilemma.

>

> You take a cruise so you can go on a personal tour of the engine room.

>

> In college you thought Spring Break was metal fatigue failure.

>

> The sales people at the local computer store can't answer any of your questions

>

> At an air show you know how fast the skydivers are falling

>

> You bought your wife a new CD-ROM drive for her

> birthday.

>

> You can type 70 words per minute but can't read your own handwriting.

>

> You comment to your wife/husband that their straight hair is nice and parallel.

>

> You sit backwards on the Disneyland rides to see how they do the special effects.

>

> You have saved every power cord from all your broken appliances.

>

> You have more friends on the Internet than in real life.

>

> You know what < <http://? stands for.

>

> You look forward to Christmas so you can put the kids'toys together.

>

> You see a good design and still have to change it.

>

> You spent more on your calculator than you did on your wedding ring.

>

> You still own a slide rule and know how to use it.

>

> You think that people yawning around you are sleep deprived.

>

> You window shop at Radio Shack.

>

> Your laptop computer costs more than your car.

>

> Your wife/husband hasn't the foggiest idea of what you do at work.

>

> You've already calculated how much you make per

> second.

>

> You've tried to repair a $5 radio.

and not one of those low tech CD's

Check this out. An MP3 player for your cassette deck

http://www.romemp3.com/

• hunter98hunter98 Member Posts: 273
    hyper text transfer protocol
    Can't read my writing
    Don't wanna know what my puter cost
    Like to "IMPROVE" things

hehe

Hunter
    Beer drinking can be a sport in itself... As to doing it while snowmobiling, no I don't recommend it, but considering I don't ride insanely, and I don't drink that way either... As for other sports, I guess your golf game is much better than mine, need the beer to improve my game.
    ...or at least makes you think it is at the time...

LOL

- Tim
    Well, golf for me is a recreation.... About a 15 handicap... Yes, I will usually have a beer, but only after I have blown up once or twice (worse than a bogey) during a round.....

I am alot more serious about motorized sports....
    up golf......I'd be a Happy Gilmore golfer all the way...

"you're gonna die ball!!!"..."just tap it in...little tiny tiny taps"...

LOL

- Tim
    I would highly recommend the game, but limit the consumption rate to a max of 1 beer per hole. I remember being asked to leave a course one afternoon after mistaking the carts for bumpercars. Needless to say I was consuming beer.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    highest score on the hole drinks a double shot...next highest single shot...three putts...single shot....wiffed ball...single shot. If you do this with Lemon Hart 151 rum....bet the highest score on the first hole will beat the lowest score on the 18th. Been there done that. Needless to say...the 19th hole was really shortened.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Golf, the engineer thing... I love it! LOL

Just remember that it's supposed to swing back around towards the Silverado/Sierra thing once in a while!

Thanks!

PF Flyer
    Host
    Pickups & News and Views Message Boards
  • quadcab4x4quadcab4x4 Member Posts: 44
    With all the room in the bed of my 2000 Silverado 4x4, my Golf clubs have plenty of room!

Back on topic?

Just kidding..

Allen-
  • dch0300dch0300 Member Posts: 472
    Now this is another kind of golfing I like!!!

Rules:
    1. Each player will furnish his own equipment for play, normally one club and two balls.
    2. Course to be played must be approved by the owner of the hole.
    3. Unlike outdoor golf, the object is to get the club into the hole and keep the balls out of the hole.
    4. For the most effective play, the club should have a firm shaft. Course owners are permitted to check the stiffness of the shaft before play begins.
    5. Course owners reserve the right to restrict the length of the club to avoid damage to the hole.
    6. The object of the game is to take as many strokes as necessary until the course owner is satisfied. Failure to do so may result in being denied permission to play the course again.
    7. It is considered bad form to begin playing the hole immediately upon arriving at the course. The experienced player will normally admire the entire course with special attention paid to well-formed bunkers.
    8. Players are cautioned not to mention any other courses that they have played, or concurrently are playing, to the owner of the course being played. Upset owners have been known to damage a player's equipment for this reason.
    9. Players should assure themselves that their match has been properly scheduled, especially on a different course being played for the first time. Previous players have been known to get irate if they find someone else playing what they considered to be their own private course.
    10. Players should not assume a course is in shape for play at all times. Some owners may be embarrassed if their course is temporarily under repair and the player is advised to use tact in the determination. Most advanced players will find alternate means of play when this occurs.
    11. It is considered outstanding performance, time permitting, to play the same hole several times in one match.
    12. Course owners shall be the sole judge of who is the best player.
    13. It is considered bad form for a player to reveal his score to other players or that he has even played the course. Players who have contracted for exclusive rights to play a private course are cautioned that information reaching the owner that he has played some other course may result in the contract being cancelled and a suit for damages instituted.

-David
    ....actually I should take it up.....as all my friends do it and I will be left behind when we are old!...BUT....after all the jokes I make about it......kinda hard to start playing it!

I got better things to do than drive a little car around a lawn and watch people think they are better than me!.....

I'd be like Rodney in Caddyshack.....the pig that goes out and annoys the hell outa the "nose in the airs"....

hehe

- Tim

..so.....how about them trucks?
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    haha Tim use your truck as a golf cart. That would make a big impression
  • tomh12tomh12 Member Posts: 240
    These Chevy/GMC's are so problem free and require so little p/m that we owners have had to take up golf and humor to keep us busy...LOL

Tom
    I threw my bag in the bed along with my shoes and gear. The silverado hauled them with no problem. You could say that it hauled them as if they weren't even there. Don't know if you could say the same with the Tundra tho.....

BWAHAHAHA!!
    Rule 13 kind of makes the game grow old, but are you allowed to play the back nine?

If not I guess its off the garage for a little work on the truck (to stay on topic).
  • machinist16machinist16 Member Posts: 2
    My wife and I are looking at getting a truck and camper. It appears the Ford is better if some drunk runs into you. But of course parts are more for the Ford. Does anybody have some good knowledge of both? Looking at 94-97 vintage, 4WD.
    machinist16
  • mledtjemledtje Member Posts: 1,123
    Both are good trucks. With the possible exception of Dodge it is hard to buy a bad 3/4 ton truck.

I would think the decision would come down to what you can find on the used market that meets your needs, is the right body style (reg cab, ext cab) and is the price you want to pay.

Mike L
  • jhendleyjhendley Member Posts: 2
    I have a model Train Service Business and was out-growing my Chev S-10. I tested a Toyota Tundra and the Chev/GMC Full size P/Us. Did not like the hard ride of the Toyota (I have an old back injury) the GM's had the best ride. In Sept. 2000, I took delivery of a 2001 2WD GMC Sierra SLE Ext. Cab P/U. I loaded it up, got the Leather Package, 4.8 V8, I added an ARE Fiberglass Tonnue Cover, a Lund Step and a Bed-Rug liner. The dealer Two-Toned the truck (Dark Red over Topaze Gold) and traded my Black 1/2Ton Grille for the 3/4 Ton HD Chrome Grille, looks great. The only other item I want to add is a dual exhust system. I have 9000 mostly Hwy miles and get 19 to 21 MPG. I have no complaints with this truck. I would like to hear from owners of similiar turcks. It Can't get any better.
  • nb2169nb2169 Member Posts: 35
    regular cab, sport box 2 wheel drive pick-up. The only modification I have made is a Borla dual rear exiting exhaust system. I bought the truck with the 5.3 engine and 3.73 rear gear. I figured that it would be respectable when it came to giddy-up-and-go. I was totally unprepared when I found out that it wasn't just respectable, but downright awsome. The only thing that holds this truck down is the governer that limits the speed. I have a 2000 Mustang GT convertible that was supposed to be my hotrod toy. Needless to say, the Stang is in the garage collecting alot of dust!
    A HPIII programmer can take care of that limiter ($300 though)
    Maybe we could get some nice person that has a HPIII Programmer to start loaning it out to those if us that want to preprogram that darn limiter on our Silverados. Heck, I'd probably give them $40 to borrow it for a few days then mail it back to them.

-David
    You cant its only good for 1 truck

If i wanted to give it to you i would have to set mine back to stock (everything tires and all) give it to you you can program but if you sent it back it wouldnt work on my truck

1 user at a time
    I'm looking to get one of those diamond-tread Single-Lid Crossover Tool Boxes for my 2001 ext-cab Z-71. Does anyone have some suggestions on a good brand to get? I've seen those Delta boxes before but it appears that both the steel model and the black plastic model always seem to show some significant sagging in the middle.

-David
    Just a thought, too bad though on the one user at a time. Thanks for the info on the HPIII anyway.

-David
  • hillhoundhillhound Member Posts: 537
    as I was driving past the Chevy dealer where I got my 2001 Silv. 1500, and I had to stop and check it out. Brand new 2500HD Crew Cab with Duramax diesel in the gold metallic color! Completely decked out with every possible option GM offers, including leather seats and onstar. Also had wheel flares which which matched the body paint-looked great! Interested? Let me know I will tell them to hold it for you! Can be yours for bargain sticker price of $44,500!
    Too much truck? Not possible! Too much sticker shock?? Now that's possible!!
    Do you have one of those HPIII Programmers? Could you list what functions those things can change and if you think it's worth the $$? I have a catalog that sells them but it's kind of vague on what it does, exaclty. I know it says you can change the shift patterns and speedo for different tires, but what else? Can it do anything for your mileage? I have a 4.10 rearend and my mileage is suffering (which I knew it would before I bought it) but I liked the way it accelerated. I get about 14 city and 16 hwy, even worse loaded.
    thanks
    Got mine for $279.99

from the box

top speed limiter (128mph)
    trans shift firmness ( i like this)
    trans shift points
    engine rev limiter
    cooling fan on off temps
    change for non stock tires/non stock axle ratios

I wouldnt get one unless you change tire size to larger then 265's. I only have the shiftfirmness and the tire changes on mine. I dont think it was worth $279 but i wanted everything reading correctly.

Let me know if you need more info

Ryan
  • blackchevyblackchevy Member Posts: 12
    Anyone interested in a 95 5.7 LT Silverado. It has 44,000 miles and I bought it in September of 95. I ordered it at a local car dealer. It is indigo blue with gray leather interior. It has a new Snugtop fiberglass (colormatched)tonneau cover and a stock chevy bedliner. It has tow package and wired for trailer. I just bought a new HD2500.
  • blackchevyblackchevy Member Posts: 12
    Anyone interested in a 95 5.7 LT Silverado. It has 44,000 miles and I bought it in September of 95. I ordered it at a local car dealer. It is indigo blue with gray leather interior. It has a new Snugtop fiberglass (colormatched)tonneau cover and a stock chevy bedliner. It has tow package and wired for trailer. I just bought a new HD2500. I would like to get $15,500 for it
    Thanks alot for the info on the reprogrammer. I don't think I'll get one unless I get bigger tires-I would definitely want my speedo to be accurate.
    Ron
  • sierra2500hdsierra2500hd Member Posts: 32
    What is the box? That's the best price I've seen on a Hypertech yet.
    I got the info for the programmer off the box. its right next to me on the floor.

I couldnt believe it when the guy said $279. I figured 325 at least. I didnt complain.

Got it at a local parts store

Ryan
  • rickandjulierickandjulie Member Posts: 1
    I am about to buy a Silverado 1500 CT 2001 and am hearing about a Silverado 1500 ID 2001 that is a club cab instead of an extended cab. Has anyone heard of this? I can't find info at chevrolet.com about this truck, size differences, engine differences, etc.

Thanks ahead of time.

Rick
  • jgmilbergjgmilberg Member Posts: 872
    You can get a 1500 HD with crew cab. It is basically a light duty 3/4 ton. The old model used to have one it was labeled a 2500 and it only had 6 lug nuts. I think it is preety much a 3/4 ton with softer suspension. Am not sure what engine comes in it, the one I saw at the auto show had a 6.0 L in it but I don't remember if it is an option or the standard engine. It looks like the regular half ton in front, not like the other HD's with the really tall flat front hood. Have seen several on dealer lots in my area, Detroit, should be at one near you soon. If you can't find out anything try http://www.corvetteking.com This ia a local Chevy dealer, give them a call, they have an 800 number on the site, and ask for the truck sales dept. They do tons of commercial/HD sales and should have all the info you need and will mail it to you.
  • mjoe1971mjoe1971 Member Posts: 2
    Hello guys, this is my first time posting. Now I have a question that probably has been answered before but I need some insight on a dilema that I've been having. I have a 2000 GMC Sierra extended cab. It has the 4.8 liter with the 3.73 limited slip diff. The tires are 235-75-16. Since new I decided that I was going to add a few performance items to enhance the performance. I added a dual exhaust flowmasters two chamber. At 5000 miles I swithched to mobil 1 synthetic oil. I added a K-N replacement filter and last I replaced the rear diff. oil to Royal Purple syn. Now for the quuestion: Does anybody out there have a similar setup without the mods? I'm getting 17-18 city driving and 20-21 Freeway driving. Mixed driving average is 19. Don't get me wrong, its still a great number and the performance sure has increased but I'm just wondering if all the mods have increased my gas milage. I don't lead foot it but I do drive 75-80 on the freeway. My concern was that if other people with similar specs without the mods got similar numbers. My conclusions originaly were that maybe I could get 21-22 highway and 18-19 city. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for any comments and suggestions.
    Based on my limited knowledge, most of your mods should increase your mileage. My truck is 5.3l with 4.10 and my mileage is 14-16c and 15-17h so I would gladly take your numbers! Compared to other trucks with similar equipment GM's mileage looks better than average. I had a Ram 1500 with 318 and I was LUCKY to ever get over 15mpg anywhere-with a larger engine and less output! So overall I'm pleased.
    Say, in your honest opinion, did the KN filter make any noticeable difference in your engine's performance/mileage? So far I have no mods at all on my Silverado but K&N air filter will probably be my first. The Hypertech Computer sounds good too.
    later
  • mjoe1971mjoe1971 Member Posts: 2
    Personaly I think that the K-N air filter is the best performance increaser for the money. I bought the K-N replacement for $41.00 at a local Kragen Store. I've had other vehicles with the K-N air filters and seem to work well with them. I have a 1997 Dodge Grand Caravan that has 65,000 miles and all I need to do is clean the filter every year with the K-N cleaning solution. The filter never needs to be replaced. The GMC had a better throttle response (my opinion) than with the original big paper filter. As far as the Hypertech Computer, I really couldn't tell you. I hear that they cost somewhere around $300.00. I never personally met anybody with one. I think (I might be wrong) that they are geared for people that change their tire diamater and need to adjust the computer, speedometer, shift paterns. Anyways, thanks for the response.
  • deviatedeviate Member Posts: 9
    Hey guys, my truck came in about two full weeks ahead of when GMC said it would; cool but is still a mystery why they told me Tuesday the 27th to call back in two weeks, and yet the dealership had it on the 30th. You'd a thunk they would have known that it had already left the factory...oh well, I'm thrilled. The truck is amazing.

For reference, it's an '01 Sierra SLT, 5.3, 2WD, posi A/T, storm grey with the dark charcoal leather, polished wheels. Just gorgeous. Ordered on 2.27, arrived on 3.30. I checked the truck over very carefully, I'm a picky guy. I run a detailing shop during the day, so I know how to pick apart a car. They did an excellent job getting it ready for me. My one complaint, though: You can't get an SLT without the OnStar system, and thus the antenna sticking out of the roof. I just about left the truck there for that reason. I didn't ask for a hole in the roof!!! But then I settled down and took in the rest of the truck, and just couldn't leave it there. I still hate the antenna, though. It might have to just find a new home (dumpster). The truck drives great, plenty of power, cool options, so far so good (500 miles since yesterday morning).

Couple of questions:

Shocks: The dealer said I couldn't get an SLT with the soft suspension (this seemed stupid to me), so it has the firmer shocks. Is there a non-GM shock that has the ride of the softer ones, or should I get the GM ones for the standard suspension? From what I understand, that was the only diff between the two was the shocks.

Exhaust: It needs something with a little more rumble, but it sure cruises at 80mph nice and quiet. My dad put a Borla cat-back system on his '00 Chevy 5.3, and it sounds good, nice and rumbly, but not too loud when you get on it. Anything else you guys would recommend? What size is generally accepted for best performance?

Homelink: Anybody installed this deal on a truck? They put 'em in the '01 Yukons/Tahoes, it's the three-button garage door transmitter mounted in the overhead console. It'd be a nice deal--I have three garage door openers that I wouldn't need to find a stash for if I could get that Homelink deal set up.

Lowering: Just maybe two or three inches in the front, maybe four or five in the back. This truck just sits too damn tall. Spindles or coilsprings in the front? Can I go five inches in the back w/o cutting into the frame?

Thanks in advance for any input.
    Thanks for the info one the KN filter. By the way-is your truck a 4wd and if so did you get the autotrac transfer case? Yep I think you're right on the Hypertech Comp. I probably could'nt justify the $$ until I get bigger tires (maybe some 285's later). Have you had any problems with your truck so far? Mine has about 4500 miles and so far been perfect.
    My truck doesn't have Onstar or Homelink but my wife's truck(Trailblazer) has both. The Onstar I don't care about (my wife likes it) but the Homelink is good. We just have 1 garage door but the homelink tranmitter works great. Seems like it has 3 times the range that the old remotes have. We just programmed it to work with the existing reciever. I don't know alot about the shocks and exhaust but there are alot of tekkies around here who I'm sure will offer good advice. Enjoy the new truck.
  • tucsonjwttucsonjwt Member Posts: 265
    shock, but it is mainly to improve handling in turns, prevent excessive nosedive on quick stops. BFG velvet ride shackles will soften the ride and improve rear traction - that would be my choice for ride improvement. The Edelbrock and velvet ride combo has been discussed a lot here, so you can try to search for those terms. One caution - your truck will still ride like a truck, even though it is a SLT, but for $300-$400 you will get an improved riding/handling vehicle. If you don't like the ride I believe you can get your money back, less S&H. Good luck.
    exhaust: All the manufacturers of aftermarket exhaust will agree that the 3" in/ 3" out is the best for performance. Unfortunately, that's where it ends as the varying performance received from the different exhaust systems vary from -10 hp to +20 hp depending on which brand you pick. Of course, I won't mention which company takes your money and returns a -10hp. Check this site out and email the owner who has a wealth of info into these exhaust systems for these trucks.

http://www.pvmufflers.com/id16.htm

And no, I am not affiliated with him or his company.

Lowering: Can't do a 5" drop in the rear without cutting.

This discussion has been closed.