Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Silverado/GMC Sierra - Owners hangout

Comments

• noobie1noobie1 Posts: 326
    Thanks for the high quality link. Well, I guess I'm off to Wallmart.

David; I'm not sure I trust that 100K claim. May be just marketing. It might be OK if you had to stretch it, but I don't. I'm changing mine at 50K, just because that pretty orange color it had when it was new is faded. :-) ......BTW - Congratulations on the easy fix with your door lock.

-David
  • Going in tomorrow to replace the tailgate cables on 2003 Silverado in Ottawa Canada; will let you know where the Canuck cables come from.
  • jtt3jtt3 Posts: 20
    Had my tailgate cables replaced and both have a white sticker that says made in China. Funny part is the one on the right is longer and has slack in it with tailgate open. LOL
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    My owner's manual states 150,000 miles or 5 years. Being that I bought my '00 in July '99 puts me a bit past due on this issue. What's interesting is that the manual calls for 50/50 mix with dexcool and clean, drinkable water. Guess they didn't have distilled water back in '99.

noobie-

Glad you liked the link and I'm off the Walmart....
    As far as I know the GM trucks and SUV's are the only applications for the 5.3 with none tuned for performance like the 5.4 in the Ford Lightning. The rated hp output is 285 which is very near to the 300 hp limit of the 4L-60e. My Denali is rated at 320hp with the 6.0 thus requiring the 4L-65e trans.

Bottom line, any major increase in power out of that 5.3 will require the upgrading of the transmission and rear end. Which for most can't be justified.
  • chevy4mechevy4me Posts: 203
    What is the normal lifespan of the serpentine belt tensioners (in miles). Also the idler pulley.I am changing the belts and wonder if it would be good to change them out at the same time? truck has 47k miles. Also is there anywhere to get emissions related parts online?
  • chevy4me- I'm no real mechanical expert, but if it's like most other cars I've owned, you shouldn't have to replace the tensioner(s)/pulley(s). I think that these parts are usually designed to last the lifetime (of the car, not YOU, :D), and barring an unusual occurance, should last that long with no troubles.

I say "usually", because the 1997 Malibu I used to own had two pulleys AND the tensioner all go bad. But that was because of a bad alternator that was eating belts, which caused excessive stress on the other parts.
  • Well that kinda shoots down my hopes for a supercharger. :( Its very hard to justify spending $5000 on a SC then having to upgrade the trany.
  • ryanbabryanbab Posts: 7,240
    Well I was surprised to find in the mail today a check for $34.51 from the tailgate cables I went through. It came pretty fast (maybe 3-4 wks from when I sent it) and I thought they would somehow try and deny it. If you are waiting dont worry they are on their way!!!
    I'd probably buy a Lightning or Dodge SRT-10. Would make life a bit simpler. Course you could also check out the SSR with the 6.0 and 390 hp.

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2005/chevrolet/ssr/100397072/specs.htm- l?tid=edmunds.n.researchlanding.leftsidenav..8.Chevrolet*
  • Little white stickers "made in China"
  • I'm thinking about buying a 2002 Silverado z71 5.3L. i've been concerned about the piston slap, is there anything anyone can inform me on? thank you

GR
  • white6white6 Posts: 588
    I wouldn't worry too much about the tranny. My 2004 350hp 365 ft/lb GTO has a 4L60E and I don't see them exploding left and right. F-body (Camaro/Firebird) LS1 cars had 4L60E trannys and there are tons of people putting 400+ hp through them. Will it decrease longevity? Absolutely. Will it grenade in 100 miles? Not likely.
    Piston slap is WAY blown out of proportion. It is a non-issue in terms of durability and performance. Sounds bad right at first, but it is not much more than a mild irritation. No evidence that it causes any real problems at all. That said, GM has gone to full-floating piston pins in its new LS2/4 engines because of the "perceived" quality issue.
  • I beg to differ with you on this one and have proof.
    I have one of those piston slapped trucks, eventually they DO lose power, and they DO burn more oil.

Not only do they sound horrible, but try to resell it, the noise scares people away and depreciates the value when you try to trade it in.

Been there, going through it!
  • boomer1bboomer1b Posts: 348
    Best advise.......Find the truck you like........
    Cold start it for a few days at the dealer. Listen closely for CSK !
    Don't confuse CSK with so called "lifter tick". The tick is fuel pulsing thru rails and injectors and is quite present at idle.
    Demand to take it for a overnite or more.

Have the service mgr. run a service report from the GM repair computer. This will show you ANY repairs or dealer complaints.

If no knock or service complaints...YOUR GOOD TO BUY!
  • boomer1bboomer1b Posts: 348
    Glad to meet ya at the BBQ ! Should of brought the Mini Cooper so we could of put it in the bucket of the big payloader and took pics !
  • sebring95sebring95 Posts: 3,233
    Sunshell is a rather common problemm with these trannys. Tends to go around 40k-50k miles and doesn't have to be abused. There's a bulletin on it I believe, most dealers will help you get some of it covered under warranty.
  • I own a 2001 1500 4.8L, EX CAB 4x4. Have not had any problems with "knocking" or 'Pinging" since I changed to a synthetic oil at 15000 miles. I have only had to have this vehicle serviced once since purchased new in late 2000. Another issue is that if you get the oil changed, make sure they put in the 6 quarts required. I do my own oil changes now since one service station tried to argue with me that it wasn't required by the manufacturer. (check manual!!)...It works for me!

=)
  • YES!!! and they look a heck of alot better too! ;)
  • rayt2rayt2 Posts: 1,208
    I brought the Mini with me in the bed of truck but after seeing all those plowheads decided not to tell any one, it would have ended up in the payloader bucket for sure and sprinkled with Magic salt. haha.
    Good meeting you and putting a face to the name.

ZBill,

I just did a complete replacement of rotors and disc pads @ 52k on my Y2K 2500. It wasn't because the pads were worn out but rather the rotors were the worst I have ever seen, nothing left to them on inboard sides all 4 wheels. The parking brake drum shoes were fine and still usable. I have never had a problem with the e-brake but could be because I use it all the time.

Ray T.
  • Hello everybody. I am new to these forums and I have a question regarding My GMC Truck. I have a 2000 GMC Sierra 4.8 with almost 93,000 miles. I have not done any repairs to the truck except for the normal maintenance items: Fluid changes, tires. My question is this: When should I change the spark plugs? I know that the manual states 100,000 miles but I wanted to know if you guys have any suggestions. Also when is the serpentine belt due? Thank You in advance
    Your owners manual gives you the suggested change intervals, go by that unless you see a problem with the belt or suspect plug misfires when idleing or under load.
    Try this link for info, but again see what your owners manual suggests. It depends are what type usage you do with vehicle also.
    http://www.gmgoodwrench.com/ServiceMaintenance/SystemsGuide.html

Ray T
  • Thanks for the reply. Has anybody changed their spark plugs and if so what brand did you use? Of course I'm looking for performance and milage.
    Stick with the AC Delco plugs, they are no more expensive than the other name brands, you'll gain nothing by using a performance plug in a stock engine.

Ray T.
  • Ok guys, one more question for you tire experts out there. The truck originally came with 235/75/16 goodyear wranglers(I think) At about 40,000 miles, I bought some Firestone 265/70/16. They handled really good and I liked the performance and feel. Now I purchased a set of steel wheels and 265/70/17 stock Bridgestones 4x4 tires. Other than the odometer being off, what can I expect?
    Noobie's Coolsite Pick of the Month:

http://drivesoft.net

When I first saw this in CarAudio my mouth watered. The trouble is it's first generation, likely fraught with all the querks and glitches attendant. And, considering the pace of technology, it'll be leapfrogged in no time; Better, faster, smaller, more capable, etc., AND OEM.

-David
    BTW- Speaking of cool, did the DexCool thing yesterday. What a royal mess! Stuff goes everywhere; Had to go take a shower afterward. LOL. Even with two pans I lost about 4-5 quarts to the environment. Bummer. The hardest part was getting the plugs out of the block, especially the heater; No room for a ratchet on the 8.1L. Also, it seemed to take a long time for the system to take the first gulp from the surge tank. I can't even guess why, but eventually.......

-David
    BTW- Speaking of cool, did the DexCool thing yesterday. What a royal mess! Stuff goes everywhere; Had to go take a shower afterward. LOL. Even with two pans I lost about 4-5 quarts to the environment. Bummer. The hardest part was getting the plugs out of the block, especially the heater; No room for a ratchet on the 8.1L. Also, it seemed to take a long time for the system to take the first gulp from the surge tank. I can't even guess why, but eventually.......

-David
  • THE TRUCK EMPTY OR LIGHTLY LOADED HAS ADEQUATE BRAKES, HOWEVER IF YOU LOAD TRUCK W/1000 LBS TO INCLUDE FUEL & DRIVER BRAKES FADE RAPIDLY. AREAL DISAPOINTMENT> @ 16000 miles vehichle has developed driveline clunk from a complete stop, not evident otherwise
    Neat site. Scary part is the proprietary software. Support goes out the window (no pun intended) with the success or failure of that company. Looks good though.
This discussion has been closed.