Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado/GMC Sierra - Owners hangout

Comments

• ghislainghislain Member Posts: 34
    Little white stickers "made in China"
  • tsrca_txtsrca_tx Member Posts: 2
    I'm thinking about buying a 2002 Silverado z71 5.3L. i've been concerned about the piston slap, is there anything anyone can inform me on? thank you

GR
  • white6white6 Member Posts: 588
    I wouldn't worry too much about the tranny. My 2004 350hp 365 ft/lb GTO has a 4L60E and I don't see them exploding left and right. F-body (Camaro/Firebird) LS1 cars had 4L60E trannys and there are tons of people putting 400+ hp through them. Will it decrease longevity? Absolutely. Will it grenade in 100 miles? Not likely.
    Piston slap is WAY blown out of proportion. It is a non-issue in terms of durability and performance. Sounds bad right at first, but it is not much more than a mild irritation. No evidence that it causes any real problems at all. That said, GM has gone to full-floating piston pins in its new LS2/4 engines because of the "perceived" quality issue.
  • cookie4253cookie4253 Member Posts: 1
    I beg to differ with you on this one and have proof.
    I have one of those piston slapped trucks, eventually they DO lose power, and they DO burn more oil.

Not only do they sound horrible, but try to resell it, the noise scares people away and depreciates the value when you try to trade it in.

Been there, going through it!
  • boomer1bboomer1b Member Posts: 316
    Best advise.......Find the truck you like........
    Cold start it for a few days at the dealer. Listen closely for CSK !
    Don't confuse CSK with so called "lifter tick". The tick is fuel pulsing thru rails and injectors and is quite present at idle.
    Demand to take it for a overnite or more.

Have the service mgr. run a service report from the GM repair computer. This will show you ANY repairs or dealer complaints.

If no knock or service complaints...YOUR GOOD TO BUY!
    Glad to meet ya at the BBQ ! Should of brought the Mini Cooper so we could of put it in the bucket of the big payloader and took pics !
  • sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    Sunshell is a rather common problemm with these trannys. Tends to go around 40k-50k miles and doesn't have to be abused. There's a bulletin on it I believe, most dealers will help you get some of it covered under warranty.
  • hdwolf66hdwolf66 Member Posts: 2
    I own a 2001 1500 4.8L, EX CAB 4x4. Have not had any problems with "knocking" or 'Pinging" since I changed to a synthetic oil at 15000 miles. I have only had to have this vehicle serviced once since purchased new in late 2000. Another issue is that if you get the oil changed, make sure they put in the 6 quarts required. I do my own oil changes now since one service station tried to argue with me that it wasn't required by the manufacturer. (check manual!!)...It works for me!

=)
  • hdwolf66hdwolf66 Member Posts: 2
    YES!!! and they look a heck of alot better too! ;)
  • rayt2rayt2 Member Posts: 1,208
    I brought the Mini with me in the bed of truck but after seeing all those plowheads decided not to tell any one, it would have ended up in the payloader bucket for sure and sprinkled with Magic salt. haha.
    Good meeting you and putting a face to the name.

ZBill,

I just did a complete replacement of rotors and disc pads @ 52k on my Y2K 2500. It wasn't because the pads were worn out but rather the rotors were the worst I have ever seen, nothing left to them on inboard sides all 4 wheels. The parking brake drum shoes were fine and still usable. I have never had a problem with the e-brake but could be because I use it all the time.

Ray T.
  • joseph1971joseph1971 Member Posts: 4
    Hello everybody. I am new to these forums and I have a question regarding My GMC Truck. I have a 2000 GMC Sierra 4.8 with almost 93,000 miles. I have not done any repairs to the truck except for the normal maintenance items: Fluid changes, tires. My question is this: When should I change the spark plugs? I know that the manual states 100,000 miles but I wanted to know if you guys have any suggestions. Also when is the serpentine belt due? Thank You in advance
    Your owners manual gives you the suggested change intervals, go by that unless you see a problem with the belt or suspect plug misfires when idleing or under load.
    Try this link for info, but again see what your owners manual suggests. It depends are what type usage you do with vehicle also.
    http://www.gmgoodwrench.com/ServiceMaintenance/SystemsGuide.html

Ray T
    Thanks for the reply. Has anybody changed their spark plugs and if so what brand did you use? Of course I'm looking for performance and milage.
    Stick with the AC Delco plugs, they are no more expensive than the other name brands, you'll gain nothing by using a performance plug in a stock engine.

Ray T.
    Ok guys, one more question for you tire experts out there. The truck originally came with 235/75/16 goodyear wranglers(I think) At about 40,000 miles, I bought some Firestone 265/70/16. They handled really good and I liked the performance and feel. Now I purchased a set of steel wheels and 265/70/17 stock Bridgestones 4x4 tires. Other than the odometer being off, what can I expect?
  • noobie1noobie1 Member Posts: 326
    Noobie's Coolsite Pick of the Month:

http://drivesoft.net

When I first saw this in CarAudio my mouth watered. The trouble is it's first generation, likely fraught with all the querks and glitches attendant. And, considering the pace of technology, it'll be leapfrogged in no time; Better, faster, smaller, more capable, etc., AND OEM.

-David
    BTW- Speaking of cool, did the DexCool thing yesterday. What a royal mess! Stuff goes everywhere; Had to go take a shower afterward. LOL. Even with two pans I lost about 4-5 quarts to the environment. Bummer. The hardest part was getting the plugs out of the block, especially the heater; No room for a ratchet on the 8.1L. Also, it seemed to take a long time for the system to take the first gulp from the surge tank. I can't even guess why, but eventually.......

-David
    BTW- Speaking of cool, did the DexCool thing yesterday. What a royal mess! Stuff goes everywhere; Had to go take a shower afterward. LOL. Even with two pans I lost about 4-5 quarts to the environment. Bummer. The hardest part was getting the plugs out of the block, especially the heater; No room for a ratchet on the 8.1L. Also, it seemed to take a long time for the system to take the first gulp from the surge tank. I can't even guess why, but eventually.......

-David
  • kepasakepasa Member Posts: 2
    THE TRUCK EMPTY OR LIGHTLY LOADED HAS ADEQUATE BRAKES, HOWEVER IF YOU LOAD TRUCK W/1000 LBS TO INCLUDE FUEL & DRIVER BRAKES FADE RAPIDLY. AREAL DISAPOINTMENT> @ 16000 miles vehichle has developed driveline clunk from a complete stop, not evident otherwise
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Neat site. Scary part is the proprietary software. Support goes out the window (no pun intended) with the success or failure of that company. Looks good though.
  • jerrywimerjerrywimer Member Posts: 588
    Amen to all of your points. If I could afford something like that, the only other "feature" I'd like to see is complete compatibility with the rest of the truck's electronics (Onstar, etc.). Since so much of the onboard systems actually rely on the Delco head unit now, most aftermarket upgrades require "relocating" the factory head unit if you want to keep other functionality working (other meaning everything besides audio). It'd be cool to be able to remove the Delco stuff and still keep all that, wouldn't it?
    Well.....The 265/70's probably feel good because they're 1.25" wider than the 235's. Plus they were only about .75" taller, so they shouldn't have hurt performance too bad. The 265/70-17 is going to add another 1" in tire diameter, but change nothing in width. Hard to say exactly what this will do to the handling because of the tire type change. If the Duellers are A/T's you'll probably lose a little handling and you'll definitely lose some power. Not sure if it will be enough to bother you, depends on which engine and gears you have. Overall, your tires are 1.75" taller than the originals, which means your speedometer will be off about 5.5%.

I switched out my 245/75-16 junkyears for 265/75-16 A/T's. It reduced the power on my truck, but it does ride/handle much better. My dealer reprogrammed my speedometer for about $35.
  • pcolapcola Member Posts: 4
    Hi folks .. new to the forum and need your help.
    I just purchased a new 2004 LS extended cab that I'm truly in love with but .. took it on it's first open road trip last weekend and a big problem raised it's ugly head. Once the speed reaches 50 m.p.h. and above the roof sounds just like hard rain does on a tin roof of a barn.
    I know this seems strange but I had my oldest son with me and he felt all around the windshield, doors, and windows for air leakage and found NONE. I even check the antenna monuts on the roof (XM & Onstar) but they were not loose either ? So I'm stumped on this one, yes it's headed to the dealer tomorrow. I spoke with the service manager and he's never heard of such a thing either. I've been pulling a wrench for 30 years myself and this is a new one on me (especially with a new truck) ! It sounds just like your standing under an old tin roof of a barn during a rain storm.
    If any of you folks have ever heard of this please let me know.
    Thanks
    Hi folks .. new to the forum and need your help.
    I just purchased a new 2004 LS extended cab that I'm truly in love with but .. took it on it's first open road trip last weekend and a big problem raised it's ugly head. Once the speed reaches 50 m.p.h. and above the roof sounds just like hard rain does on a tin roof of a barn.
    I know this seems strange but I had my oldest son with me and he felt all around the windshield, doors, and windows for air leakage and found NONE. I even check the antenna monuts on the roof (XM & Onstar) but they were not loose either ? So I'm stumped on this one, yes it's headed to the dealer tomorrow. I spoke with the service manager and he's never heard of such a thing either. I've been pulling a wrench for 30 years myself and this is a new one on me (especially with a new truck) ! It sounds just like your standing under an old tin roof of a barn during a rain storm.
    If any of you folks have ever heard of this please let me know.
    Thanks
  • mitzijmitzij Member Posts: 613
    They may need to reseal the outside windshield moldings, or replace them. Reference technical bulletin #04-08-48-003. We have been resealing them, the bulletin recommends replacement. This may be a different noise than what you describe, but it sounds like the same trouble.
    Do you have a add on bug deflector ?

If so thats the problem..................
  • p100p100 Member Posts: 1,116
    I tend to agree that the problem is with one of the windshield moldings. I had a similar annoying problem with my 95 Nissan pickup. At speeds around 45 MPH and higher, I started hearing this annoying, very loud buzzing sound, which sounded like an angry giant bumblebee trying to escape. After much searching, I found out that the source of the annoiying noise was peeling clear plastic film on the upper windshield moulding. The film would flutter in the wind and produce this annoying, almost unbearable buzzing noise.

In case of your Silverado, one of the mouldings may not be sealed properly and impact against the windshield frame as air speed increases.
  • wcannadawcannada Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD with the 6.0 L engine. I have 285/75 Dueler M/Ts on it. I bottomed out on a set of RailRoad trax not to long ago and blew out the rear shocks. I have replaced them with Edelbrock IAS shocks but feel that they are too stiff. What type of shock have you found to be the smoothest and best ride quality on the highway?
    Sounds like a real possibilty to me. I will make mention of it to the sevice writter tomorrow when I drop it off.
    Thanks for the info.
    Yes it does have a bug deflector on it, don't know when the truck started making this sound at higher speeds because I hadn't taken it on a road trip until last Friday and the speedo had not seen 55 in town.
    Any particular reason the bug screen could be causing this sound, I have bug screens on all of my trucks and have never encountered this before ? Maybe a difference in the cosmetic designs?
    Thanks
    Thanks for the reply. I have put the new tires on and yes I feel that the new tires are not as good on performance. Not as bad as the original but just slightly worse than the previous 265/70/16. Oh well, I guess I can't complain seeing that I got these brand New for $350.00 with rims and everything. As far as truck performance, I'm not that much of a lead foot and I think that the truck is trying to "learn" the increased effort to gain momentum. 80 mph does not feel comfortable driving as before. I know that I'm off on the odometer and that the new 80 mph is probaly closer to 85 but It just doesn't feel "right" Do you think It would be better to reprogram the Transmission? I have a 4.8 with 3.73 locking rear.
    I don't know about reprogramming the tranny. Mine was flashed due to a "clunking" problem and it helped. Although now it feels slower to downshift, which doesn't help the lower-power from the big tires. Oh well, it's just a run-around truck anyway. I would at least have them reprogram the speedo. You might consider one of the custom programmers though. They come with a speedo adjustment, tranny program, as well as power programs. I'm not sure what the true gain in power would be, but you might find that a better investment than paying the dealer just to reprogram the speedo. If I was keeping this truck long-term, I'd buy one.

BTW, I've got the same truck basically, 4.8L, 3.73, ext. cab 4x4. I probably wouldn't buy the 4.8L again, the 5.3 in my Tahoe is a much better motor IMHO. I don't think there's much difference in MPG either. The Tahoe always gets better mpg, but it's used on the highway more so it's not easy to compare. The truck usually doesn't average over 16mpg.
    Thats your problem ! Take it off and try it out.
    If no noise with it off....thats the problem!

Then you will do the windsheild surround reseal.

Search back thru this thread. There are posts on how to do it yourself.
    Poss. one of the folks here who have done it can post and explain it fully for you.

EDIT......Check Mitzis post #4489 for the windsheild reseal TSB #
    and give that to the dealer if you want them to fix it !

Thanks Mitzi........I missed your post on it !
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    I had upgraded from stock to the Edelbrock IAS and also found it way too stiff for my liking. I changed to the Bilstein HD and have been very happy since. Plus they are cheaper than the Edelbrocks.
  • wcannadawcannada Member Posts: 2
    Thats what I thought. I had a lifted Z71 Tahoe with the Bilsteins and enjoyed the ride, but wasnt sure if there was a different shock that would ride as good on the Silverado
  • chevy3chevy3 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2003 Silverado SS and I had a problem where upon quick acceleration, the RPM's redlined and the truck didn't go. I had to have it towed to the dealer who said they had to replace the shift solenoid. Problem happened again recently. Has anyone experienced a similar problem? Truck only has 11,000 miles on it.
  • nb2169nb2169 Member Posts: 35
    I wonder if the truck is running up against the rpm limiter?
  • chevy3chevy3 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the reply, it really has me puzzled. I am bringing it to the dealer on Monday. I will ask them about it when I drop it off.
  • kcarter3kcarter3 Member Posts: 16
    I have a 2003 silverado z71 and dont like the way the tires look. they look very small,(265 I believe) any recomendations on increasing the hight o the tire, what size is taller, and will I have to change the computer.
  • ram5ram5 Member Posts: 12
    I have a 2000 Silverado 1500 with 84,200 miles. It is leaking some motor oil. It seems that it is coming from the front crankshaft seal and from the rear seal. I think this is a little to early for the seals to start leaking. Is there any crankshaft seal recall by the manufacturer? Or, What are some suggestions to fix this problem?
  • kg11kg11 Member Posts: 530
    I believe you have 245s on it like I had on my 2500HD. I switched to 265s and it looked a lot better. I actually lost a little fuel economy. Some people here have switched to 285s without lifting the truck. Maybe one of them can tell you more.

kip
  • ricschricsch Member Posts: 540
    In case anyone may be interested, I have a 4-Hi light kit that is to fit '99-02 Silverado and GMC Sierra trucks. This keeps the low beam lamps on when you put the hi-beam lamps on. Sold the truck a few years ago, so if interested check this link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&cate- gory=33710&item=7937029278&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW
    Where is everybody?

04 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 x-cab............Finally got the snowplow on in time for winter.
    Pushes snow real good! No warranty or dealer visits either........

Hope it works as hard as my 01 !

Ricsch....There is a sticky on another full size chevy truck forum to do the 4 way headlights on at once for less than 2 bucks !
  • baredoggbaredogg Member Posts: 32
    If after you change your tailgate straps to the Chinese versions and notice that one seems a little slack check the bottom hinge pivot and socket on that side to see if it bent whilst the strap broke. If bent march over to the Generals store and demand new pivots and sockets damaged as a result of the broken strap also claim any tgate damage as a result of the same.
  • melewis54melewis54 Member Posts: 1
    I also have a terrible road noise on the drivers side behind my left ear. The dealer won't address it so I've done some research on my own. The exhaust air vents are located on the pillars on both left and right lower sides of the inside cab. I checked with parts and there is a pressure pressure valve in and beyond the vent. When you get positive pressure in the cab from the fan motor carring warm or cold air the valve will open. The vents are open to the outside underneath to the right and left of the back side of the cab.Stuff some insulation in the opening. If the noise goes away then you now the valve is stuck open. Getting rid of my lousy wrangler ST tires did a world of good to start with. Now getting a dealer to take all the paneling off to fix the problem is another thing!
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    Well I finally got the brackets last Monday. Got a chance to put them on today. Very easy install took about an hr and a half (it was cold so that slowed me down a bit). The bars are the lifetime westins (oval bars)

Heres some pics

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/uploads/post-56-1101668968_thumb.- jpg

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/uploads/post-56-1101669008_thumb.- jpg

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/uploads/post-56-1101669068_thumb.- jpg

And a pic of my new utility box

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/uploads/post-56-1101669150_thumb.- jpg
    Boomer, how much snow ya got up in that neck of the woods now ?? Or was it all just rain like we got 300 miles south of you!

Ryan, Bars look good, what happened to the old ones? Mine rusted thru and Westin sent me free replacements under their 5yr. warranty. I opted for the chrome version this time instead of black since they said the chrome version holds up better to the elements.

Ray T.
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    The old bars rusted. Really only the pass side. I sprayed rustoleum for awhile then it wouldnt hold anymore. Also the brackets rusted pretty good
    We got about 4 inches of wet and heavy on the 26th. Finally got to try out the 04 plowing. It did ok and is waiting for more !
    Heck, Just turned 5k miles. Been under the weather still but feeling better and still not driving much!
    No dealer or warranty issues yet !............
  • ricschricsch Member Posts: 540
    Yeah, I seen it too, may work fine, but if it were that easy and safe, why do the companies that make them have more components involved? I for one would like to see how they ground out the low beam to make all 4 lights come on.

Sometimes worth a couple more $$ to do it without any issues.
This discussion has been closed.