Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado/GMC Sierra - Owners hangout

Comments

• obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    For a small fee you can research to your hearts content at www.alldatadiy.com

Who knows? You may have more problems than you've noticed.
    hanging at this board for the 5 years or so I've owned my '00 rado. Was reading quad's post awhile back and visited 5-6 dealers this past weekend. Seems the crewcab rado and Sierra are quite popular. Enough that they won't budge much off of MSRP by very much ($1k) at the most forcing me to check out a Nissan dealer who threw the book out the door to get me to buy a Titan.

The GM rides better than the Titan, other than that couldn't turn down their offer even though GM had $2000 rebate on the rado with another $1500 GM customer rebate for $3500 off.

Oh and the color is almost identical to carmine red.....

Wish I could've uninstalled all the aftermarket parts and shipped em to Indiana where someone I know could put them to good use. lol!!
  • sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    Wow. I was getting my '03 ext. cab worked on a couple weeks ago and was chatting with a salesman about a new crew they had that was nearly identical to mine. He basically told me without negotiating, they'd sell it for invoice plus the rebates.

I don't blame you though, I'd never pay much over invoice for a GM, the resale is too high to pay anything near sticker.
  • z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    Thanks for the info - this sure sounds like my problem - it seems like a straight forward repair job - maybe an afternoon worth of my time and $10.00 worth of silicone.
  • boomer1bboomer1b Member Posts: 316
    OBY....Hope you have better luck with a titan than other folks around here.

Jolie on another board is on her 2nd titan with the same problems as her 1st one............

My bud just bought a new titan 3 weeks ago and is having the broken window syndrome already......

My 04 Chevy hasn't seen the shop once !
    Yep been following the titan board for awhile now. That's why I didnt bother to look at the 04 models they had on the lot. After the problems I had with my rado I didnt want history repeating itself. So far no problems with 200 miles and going to change out the oil today.

My rado had a broken window regulator, dealer wants $299 for the part. Passenger side making noise too so I figure that one is going to go soon. Also had several holes in the exhaust pipe and a huge one in the muffler...figuring a good time to dump the truck as the extended warranty covers with window motors but not the regulators.
    that I checked out but does anyone know how many leaf springs come on the 1500s? Just curious cause the titan has 4 leafs and rides like a 2500.
  • baredoggbaredogg Member Posts: 32
    Strange GM has cut back cc production 30% as they are not selling well soon to be another 20% cut seems that production of the new cc way outstrips demand. Actually they just shut the plant down for a week to help balance supplies rummers are another week in FEB and Mar

Good luck with the Titan nice units and lots of cool features
    Seems most auto mfrs. are in a slump........

Nissan has a 126+ day supply of titans.

Not to mention the build up of armadas and Qs.

Posted at titan talk......

Another recent article states a 700+ day supply of those Prius hybrids.........

GM has a 65 day supply of trucks........
  • vandyuvandyu Member Posts: 9
    Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of. But, maybe I'm lucky. A friend is suing Ford because his 2004/ 2005 F-150 (I'm not sure which year) shakes so bad that it makes him physically sick to drive it on the highway. Really nice looking extended cab with a lot of extras. He's going to get a Tundra or Titan. He's finished with American pickups. I would have gone for one of these, but if I recall, they both use a timing belt with all of the maintenance required for that change out. My 1978 Silverado with 321,000 miles had one timing chain in its life. Also, never had the transmission or engine overhauled. It died a natural death--old age.

Thanks for the link. Don't know if I want to see how many problems I don't know I have :-)
  • vaughn4vaughn4 Member Posts: 106
    I bought an 05 LS Silverado crew cab 2wd; love the truck so far but have a slight rear differential whine (hum) around 35 - 45 mph. It's not too bad just enough though where you can hear it with the windows up because the truck is so quite inside otherwise. Any one else have the same issue; any suggestions? Called dealer and they suggested to let it break-in (around 3k miles) and if it still does it they would replace the pinion and gear assembly. They said it may have been an improper gear set up from the start and sometimes after the "break-in period" it goes away and sometimes it doesn't. Any thoughts out there?
  • dick2dick2 Member Posts: 2
    I have an o1 5.3 ext cab and pull a 8500 lb trailer twice a year, 150 miles one way and I haven't encountered any problems. Gas is and issue for all of us, I'd stick with the 5.3 for the work you have planned.
  • z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    Thanks again for the detailed post on how to fix my HVAC issue.

I did most of it today - the RTV is drying as I type.

I stripped the threads on my old puller trying to get my wiper arms off - so I had to go buy a new one - the passenger side came off without much of a fight - but the drivers side bent the new puller to the point that it is now worthless - never did get the drivers side off - but - I turned the wipers on - moving them up out of the way enough so I could still move the air inlet grill panel out of the way and get to the knock out panel. The foam seal had major gaps in it on two sides - I am 99.99% sure it is the source of the cold air leak. What a pain - the hole was so small my hands just barely fit - I could only see about 1/2 of the seal - so I had to use a small mirror and feel my way - what a sticky mess. I may put on an extra layer of RTV on the knock out panel joint - to make sure that I don't end up with a water leak.

Not sure what GM charges for this repair - but I would guess at least $300 - My total cost including the broken puller was less that $10.00!
  • whatsachevywhatsachevy Member Posts: 136
    I have ran two tanks through my '01 2500HD 6.0 since reprogramming with a Hypertech Programmer. I installed the power tuning for 87 octane, raised the top-speed limiter to 110, adjusted for the 285/75/16 size tires from the original 245/75/16 tires, adjusted transmission shift points and shift firmness. I can tell a difference in the overall performance and about a 1 mpg increase in fuel mileage (after considering my speedo difference for the 285's before reprogramming the speedo). The truck seems more responsive to throttle as if I had the old 245's back on (I noticed a slight decrease in throttle response when I originally went from the 245's to the 285's). I was averaging 12.2 mpg empty (adjusting for speedo being off for larger tires) before reprogramming over the last several months. First two tanks after reprogramming were 13.3 and 13.1 (and it has been rather cold here in the midwest over the last several weeks). Someone was asking about fuel mileage on the 6.0 earlier. I do have a heavy foot and the 4.10 rearend and have never gotten above 14.5 anywhere (and that was with the 245's cruising empty at 75-80 mph on the interstate - mileage decreased about 1 mpg when I switched to the 285 mudders, after considering the speedo being off). I haven't pulled anything of significance yet (I did pull a 16' trailer with two four-wheelers on the trailer and another one in the bed for about 25 miles roundtrip - but not enough to evaluate anything) to see if I notice a difference pulling. So far, I would say the $350 has been worth it. I hope this helps anyone out there considering a Hypertech programmer.
    Hey is that Hypertech a plug in deal and it loads the program into the trucks computer direct from a controller?

A bunch of guys on the GM truck forums have been buying the Westers brand re-programmer. Some of the guys report they work fine and others report nothing but troubles.................

The bad thing about the Westers is you have to remove your stock computer and send it to Westers for them to re-program it.......

So your truck is down for the week turnaround time ! Hmmmmm.......
  • noobie1noobie1 Member Posts: 326
    I'm waiting and hoping some braniac comes up with software that allows tinkering for the masses. Kind of like a Hypertech on steroids, ideally providing for adjustment of ANY parameter along with the option of returning to factory default settings if you got into trouble.

-David
    There are a couple out there for awhile now.

Do a google on Granatelli DiabloSport Predator Programmer

and/or

Tunercat

http://www.tunercat.com/tnr_desc/do_tc.html

If you have a diesel check out:

Duramaximizer

Good stuff as long as you understand what you're doing.
  • abottorffabottorff Member Posts: 15
    Yes the same thing happened to my 2000 1500 at about 20k miles.... at first they said it was the exhaust (yeah right!) then I came back and got the smart guy on duty and the pinion gear was replaced no trouble since (85K now) BTW he said that was a common issue on that truck.
    FYI for anyone else who runs into this one. 2000 1500 w/ 5.3...... this is the secondary air injection system. There are 3 codes for this system basically 1410 is both sides not working 1415 is the left side (of the engine) and 1416 is the right side not working. Mine has set this code 2x once at 38k miles; replaced under warranty and again at 85k. If you have about 40 or 8ok miles and get this code try replacing the check valve ($30 at the dealer) first. The tech at my dealer told me the right side tends to clog with carbon. When this happens the check valve clogs and sets the code. If you want to check it before replacing it, remove it and you should be able to blow air through one way (from the hose end) but not the other way (pipe end). If you can't blow through from the hose end it is cloged and that's probably the problem or at least worth a try since my dealer charges $85 just to diagnose the light. Oh and most auto parts stores will lend a scanner that can be used to clear the code after you're done.
  • joe29001joe29001 Member Posts: 48
    I was just looking at 2005 Silverados and noticed that many of them don't have the passenger airbag shutoff switch (at least not where it used to be). Did they remove this feature, or just move the switch to some other location?
  • jerrywimerjerrywimer Member Posts: 588
    Were the trucks without the switch crew cabs? I ask because none of the '04 or '05 CC's I saw on lots when I bought my '04 extended cab had this switch. I think GM prefers you to use the back seat for children / small adults in the crew cabs. I didn't check, but I'd bet the crew cabs also are missing the LATCH anchors on the front passenger's seat also. (My extended cab has this)
    They were: extended cabs, crew cabs, regular cabs, Avananches - pretty much every cab style (1500 & 1500HD series). The 2500HD seems to still have the switch, not sure about the 3500. This may discourage folks with children from buying GM (especially if they're looking for a regular cab).
  • cornellpinoycornellpinoy Member Posts: 196
    The pass side airbag is now activated/deactivated by a weight sensor under the seat. The rearview mirror has a display indicating if the airbag is on or off. Its the same system used in the Tahoe/Suburbans.
  • jerrywimerjerrywimer Member Posts: 588
    This system was already in the 2004's. In addition to the manual (key operated) switch my truck uses those same sensors. I think the key is just a nice "safety" feature to guarantee that the airbag will stay off while a child is in the passenger's seat.
    Any one else out there have the blasted differential whine at certain speeds? Mine is at 35 to 50. Now the dealer tells me this is normal and ALL the trucks have it to a degree at different speeds, or at least my type of truck does(1500 LS Crew Cab 2WD w/ the 3.21 rear end). Said if they took it apart and "fixed" it that they may make it worse than it is now. We did drive another truck similar to mine, to make his point, w/ 2500 miles on it and the whine was actually worse than mine. This is my first Chevy truck, I've only had F-150s' before and they did NOT exhibit this "normal" noise. Now I'm thinking I should have stayed with the Fords (which never gave me any problems). Other than that the truck seems to be pretty solid (for now at least). Any comments?
    no they don't they are very quiet trucks. After I got mine fixed (see post above) it is very quiet. There is some slight noise at low speeds but not at any normal driving speed. My suggestion: keep all receipts showing that you are complianing, (document for the future) and go to at least one other dealership. Also if you are sure that it is abnormal, spend the money to take it to an independent trans. shop and see what they have to say... it might be worth it.
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    NOOOOO!!!!! Man I leave for a few weeks and look what happens.

Oh yea I have a new job and home (moved 150 miles away) but the same old truck haha It has a garage to park in now. I am now down in Indianapolis.
    It's quiet at highway speeds and very low speeds just noisy at 35-50 and quite noisy right at 42-43 mph; that's the highest noise point (high-pitch hum). I've had quite a few people tell me some noise is to be expected and the majority do it at that speed. Maybe my hearing is too sharp. I've also heard old time stories where people put in banana peels and saw dust and it quieted things down. Can't do that though it's under warranty. Hopefully it won't get any louder. What a pain!!!
  • txyank1txyank1 Member Posts: 1,010
    Congrats on the new job and the new home Ryan.
  • quadrunner501quadrunner501 Member Posts: 94
    >>#4644 of 4646 OBYONE by ryanbab Jan 27, 2005 (5:46 pm)

NOOOOO!!!!! Man I leave for a few weeks and look what happens.

Oh yea I have a new job and home (moved 150 miles away) but the same old truck haha It has a garage to park in now. I am now down in Indianapolis. "

See what happens! Did you take Jess with you?
    Yea shes down here with me. Starts school in the fall.
    Good for you both! Tim would be proud too, except he never changed his cabin filter and died from emphysema...lol...
  • noobie1noobie1 Member Posts: 326
    "Been fun"? I hope that didn't mean your leaving us any time soon. You're too good of a resource to lose to some dang 'ferrin' truck thread, Ha!. Besides I'd like to hear how Nissan compares to GM in the way they treat their customers. Thanks for the tips on re-programming. I'll check 'em out.

-David
    I talked to Tim right before xmas (and mike too). They are both doing well.
    LoL!! I'll still be around as bad habits are hard to break. Hypertech did good with their original programmer. Unfortunate for them they didn't continue in their R&D to improve on their product as they had the edge being the first one out there.

Ryan-

Installed some westins on the truck...now the cab mounts squeak lol!!

Quad-

Is yours a '04 or '05? And yes the pumpkin is small but still larger than a tundras.....lmao....
    Oby, I have the '05 beta...aka (it's an '04)

I've made a modicum of posts over at Titantalk.com under my own name (Tom Roper).

I've taken some arrows for calling a spade a spade. A few posters behave like ex-tundra owners.

It would be great to have your observations. You were never shy about the truth.

Anyway, my '01 Silverado 2500HD Duramax was truly a solid truck, and had an AM radio that could actually receive stations. On this Titan, I hit "seek" and it goes across the whole AM band without stopping once. But on the whole, after some initial hiccups, it's a pretty enjoyable ride. It is almost a full size truck! Good luck on this one now! Lol...

Warmest regards to everybody...

email me: motronix@vsdrives.com
    you got a titan too? I am in the twilight zone?????
    You unlock this door with the key of imagination...

Beyond it is another dimension...

A dimension of sound...

A dimension of sight...

A dimension of mind...

You're moving into a land of both shadow and substance, of things and ideas...

You've just crossed over into...THE TITAN ZONE

(hey, we still have the '90 Blazer, comin' up on 200k miles. We've not sworn off bow ties.)
  • tm01tm01 Member Posts: 14
    Are the rear seats in the crew cab completly removable? fold down or up?
  • chevy4mechevy4me Member Posts: 203
    I haven't posted lately but still have my 99 Silverado. I just got an 05 2wd Tahoe and am trying to get recommendations on 20 inch tires. I asked over at the Tahoe thread but thought I would try here as well. Thanks
    Am I the only one who doesn't care about datsun pickup trucks here?
    You are not alone. I don't care about datsun pickups either.
    Got some Goodyear Eagle LS 275/55R20 on my '02 Denali. Not a bad tire at a good price.
  • dch0300dch0300 Member Posts: 472
    Titan..........doesn't a French company (Renault) own Nissan now?
    Correct.

Nissan became a different company after that, introducing the 350Z, Titan, M45, and G35.
    Oby, head over to the Titan topic so I can ask a couple questions. Thanks! (Join us Ryan)
  • 1badtie1badtie Member Posts: 4
    hello! Sorry to bother you but I was wondering if you had any information on what difference you could tell with a hypertech power programer 3???Thank you!
  • 1badtie1badtie Member Posts: 4
    I have been looking for a while to put some sort of chip on my silverado 1500. I am just struggling with the fact that the hyper tech power programmer 3 is 350.00$! I would like to know if anyone on here has already done so and if so was there a significant gain of power?? Please let me know. Thank you.
    If you need to reprogram for different size tires, wanting firmer shifts and programmed shift points along with running premium fuel....there are better products out there besides the Hypertech IMO. I have one and while not disappointed think you can find better value elsewhere.
  • baredoggbaredogg Member Posts: 32
    First prerun of 06's come off the line tomorrow. New hood front end rework tire press monitors and a slew of emission changes
This discussion has been closed.