Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado/GMC Sierra - Owners hangout

Comments

• boomer1bboomer1b Member Posts: 316
    HEY ALL........Anybody out there having problems with their heated mirrors on NBS full size GMs either cracking or not heating?

My left side one cracked, but still heats. The right side has no heat. The rear defrost works fine.

I have recently seen posts and pics at some of the snowplowing sites of mirror failures due to extended usage ...............
  • bigfurbigfur Member Posts: 649
    My heated mirrors dont work well at all. Had once replaced under warrenty, the other quit not long after. I just gave up on them and left them. And mine were not from extended usage.
    You still have the 01?

My 01 didn't have the rear defrost or heated mirrors. This 04 with them is the cats axx up here in blizzard land when snowplowing !

I see quite a few posts of many failures on other sites. I wonder if there is a TSB out there about them?

GM Parts direct sells the replacement heated glass for under $30 each plus shipping.

Funny, I think its the shape of the glass thats the problem. The heated mirrors on my 96 and 03 Caddies were pretty square shaped and never had a problem.

Its under warranty anyhoo and I dump them every 30 months or so.
    Snowplowing is tough on ANY truck!
  • noobie1noobie1 Member Posts: 326
    I just had to replaced both on my '02'. Performance gradually deteriorated until they quit working altogether. About a hundred bucks worth at the dealer. What I can't figure is, what could possibly go wrong with such a simple devise?

-David
    What I see the most complaints about is the mirrors cracking.

My left mirror is cracked but heats.
    My right mirror has no heat but is NOT cracked.

Hmmmm....Prob. another quality 3rd world made part.
  • noobie1noobie1 Member Posts: 326
    Just a guess but, cracking mirrors may be characteristic of colder environs. Too much heat to that thin piece of glass at too cold a temp. Your right/left evidence seems to bear it out.

A word of advise to anyone removing a mirror for fault analysis: use a flat bladed tool with a THIN shaft. LOL, it won't take much stress.

-David
    Strange..........My 96 and 03 Caddies had/have heated mirrors and never a problem here in snowland.

Its either the shape of the mirror or a cheap part.
  • sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    For those with cracked mirrors, you might watch them if they are of the auto-dimming variety. The chemical inside the mirrors is corrosive to paint, and if it gets blown down the side of your truck....it's not pretty. Not sure what it takes to displace the fluid, but if the mirror shatters, the fluid goes with it.
  • chevyguy04chevyguy04 Member Posts: 1
    hey i just got a 2004 silverado and i was just going to say that i love it i sold my 2004 dodge dakota and got this i have a question about this is there a way to change the factory head unit without having to get that 40 dollor wireing harrenst just wondering anyway and im going to drop this truck with a 4/6 drop kit and does anyone know if 22'swill fit or anyone got pic's of theres if so e mail me at mxracer072004@yahoo.com ty scott
  • bigrdchevybigrdchevy Member Posts: 1
    hi everyone. i just bought my 2002 silverado V6 with 43000 miles on it but what i thought was wierd and i cant figure it out is that when i'm on the highway going up hill so i hit 4000RPM the check engine light will flash about 6 times then go away. why the hell will it do that?
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    My pass side mirror cracked. I am thinking the basketball pole I hit with it did the damage :)
    Do you have the heated mirrors?

Lots of posts on them cracking at a few of the GM truck sites.

If you outta warranty GM parts direct sells the heated mirror replacement glass for under $30 plus shipping..............
  • richardf8richardf8 Member Posts: 2
    Please send me more info, I have the same problem and GM offered me a free 6 year extened service deal.
  • eds4eds4 Member Posts: 1
    Help!

I am about to purchase a 97 silverado, 3rd door, extra cab, 5.7 vortec, 4 x 4. its got 87k on her.
    Just wondering if I should have any concerns about anything at this point in the trucks life?
    Any advice would be great. Truck seems to be all there mechanically.
    EDS.......Ask about the intake manifold gasket replacement. Very troublesome during those years with the 350.
    I broke mine. I hit the mirror on a basketball pole. No they arent heated. I bought a new glass which I replaced. I also bought a new mirror but I havent put it on (still in the box after 3 yrs haha)
    You should also check out Pep Boys. They are selling a knockoff GM truck power replacement mirror for $50 for the whole unit !!!!!!!
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    WOMEN AND TRUCKS. One of our journalists is writing an article about women and trucks: why they love their trucks, the decisions that they have to make when purchasing a truck versus a car, and whether or not they’ve encountered discrimination or bias when buying or driving a truck. If you’d like to share your story, please respond to jhelperin@edmunds by Sunday, March 26th. Thanks!
    Post this in the Titan thread........

Jolie aka Akangel could fill them in........
    Shes a truck gal !
    I already have one. Been sitting in a box for 3 yrs
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Like Tim and his filters eh?
    Hey Oby.....Hows that new truck working out?
    Truck has 4k miles and no problems so far. Just wished it rode like a 1500 rather than a 2500.

One thing I don't miss is the wind noise that my rado had at 60....tho the '05 rado I test drove didn't have any wind noise either. Too bad the dealers didn't want to discount below MSRP or I would've bought another even with that front facia...then again a GMC with that big mouth bass look isn't too bad either hehe.
  • dosdos Member Posts: 1
    What pic?
  • txyank1txyank1 Member Posts: 1,010
    We've had a few Av owners switch to Titan's too. I'd much rather have the GMC Big Mouth on my Av than the Silverado front end I'm stuck with. :O
    Spring has finally sprung here in NY !

My poor 04 Chevy needs a rest from all the snowplowing this winter. Aside from both heated mirrors pooping out...This bad boy worked hard with few complaints and NO dealer visits.

NOW it time to do some heavy towing for the summer!

I too wanted a GMC "big bass" look instead of the Chevy nose. But couldn't find a black x-cab 2500 with the WORK goodies for under 40k msrp !
  • shmoostershmooster Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know where the inertia switch is located on the 1996 gmc sierra?
  • raichinupraichinup Member Posts: 2
    Just bought new silverado 1500 with Z71 package. Vehicle is awesome! I love everything about it. Its a nice upgrade from my 97' silverado z71. I've noticed a bit of noise when 4x4 is engaged. The from end sounds like my old truck, with dead ball joints. Noise worsens when I accelerate or take turns. Is this normal for a new truck during break-in or should I have it checked out. No clicks or clanking, just mild grinding noise! What'd yall think?
  • 051500051500 Member Posts: 2
    hi i just bought one too. and i agree its great, i havnt put mine i 4wd so i cant answer you. maybe you could hlp me? my oil pressure seems low. at highway speeds i barely get 40 psi and at low speeds a little over 20 is that what you get? thanks, mike
  • picklesorviepicklesorvie Member Posts: 28
    We had a noise in the front-end of our 2004 Silverado. Changing the intermediate steering shaft did not solve the problem. Changing the
    insulators on the front springs did not solve the problem. Changing the steering gear unit did.
    For the first time in over a year we have a Silverado that I can drive out of the driveway and not listen to it sound like something is loose
    in the front-end.
  • cornellpinoycornellpinoy Member Posts: 196
    My '05 Silverado LS 4x4 made mild grinding noise in 4Hi. Not sure if its normal or not. Interestingly, I found the transmission clank would go away when I was in 4Hi.
  • cirruslycirrusly Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1997 Chevy Silverado 4WD 5.7 and would like to know if it is possible and how to reset the timing without a scanner,when the motor has been turned over without the distributor in place?
  • jsmessjsmess Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2000 Z71 with the 5.3. Recently it has developed a slight pinging under acceleration. I have not changed grades of fuel, so I wondering if there could be another possibility.

Also my throttle is sometimes sticky when I accelerate from a standing stop. Is there a location to lube the cable?
  • picklesorviepicklesorvie Member Posts: 28
    The sticky throttle is probably caused by an
    accumulation of [non-permissible content removed] near the "butterly" door
    in the air intake. The fix is to clean the system
    and add a small part that helps prevent the
    problem in the future. Early on many of the 2000
    GM suv owners with the 5.3 were just cleaning/
    having cleaned the system without the installation
    of the new part. I think the new part is a very
    small device that prevents the butterfly door
    from closing completely. I assume your accelerater feels like it is sticking when you
    initially accelerate.
  • jsmessjsmess Member Posts: 4
    Is this a service bulletin item that the dealer will fix? I still need to have my tail gate cables replaced from the recall.

Thanks
    Throttle Body - Excessive Accelerator Pedal Effort

File In Section: 06 - Engine/Propulsion System

Bulletin No.: 00-06-04-007A

Date: June, 2000

TECHNICAL
    Subject:
    Increased Accelerator Pedal Effort
    (Replace Throttle Body)

Models:
    1999-20O0 Chevrolet and GMC C/K Pickup Models (Silverado and Sierra) with 4.8 L, 5.3 L or 6.0 L V8 Engine (VINS V, T, U - RPOs LR4, LM7, LQ4)

This bulletin is being revised to add additional part numbers and clarify labor operations. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 00-06-04-007
    (Section 06- Engine controls).

Condition
    Some customers may comment on a higher than expected accelerator pedal effort from the idle position.

Cause
    Condition may be caused by a tight throttle blade in the throttle body bore when in the closed position.

Correction
    Notice DO NOT adjust the shipping air screw to rotate the throttle body blade away from the throttle body bore. Adjusting the shipping air screw compromises the idle speed control, and may lead to other driveability concerns. Adjusting the shipping air screw may lead to reduced idle Air Control valve durability.

1. Verify the cause for this condition is not a damaged or binding throttle cable.

2. Remove the throttle body (3) from the engine and inspect the 4 digit Julian date code (2) stamped on the bottom edge of the mounting flange. The Julian date code is stamped on the lower edge of the mounting flange, next to the gasket edge,on the side of the throttle position sensor. The stamped 5 digit code (1) is the last 5 digits of the Throttle Body Assembly Part Number. See Figure 1 - Throttle Body Date Code Identification.

3. If the Date Code is 2979, or earlier:

^ Replace the Throttle Body Assembly using appropriate Service Manual procedure.
    ^ DO NOT clean the Throttle Body Assembly.
    ^ DO NOT attempt to adjust Throttle Assemblies.

Parts Information

Parts are currently available from GMSPO.

Warranty Information

For vehicles repaired under warranty, use the table.

What's unfortunate is that this pertains to trucks under warranty. Who knows what a dealer will charge for out of warranty work. Good luck!!
  • frankiemodfrankiemod Member Posts: 2
    Some noise when the 4x4 is engaged is normal when turning, 4x4 junkies that i talked to called it "the 4wd talking" its louder when you max out the steering in any direction, not supposed to do that they say...bad for the deal :P
  • rayt2rayt2 Member Posts: 1,208
    Pickles,

Just recently had this sticky throttle condition occur on my 2000 w/5.3. 55k miles. I removed the snorkle tube to throttle body and wiped away the black oily carbon buildup at the butterfly valve. Did not need any spray cleaner at all just a rag, problem solved. Try it. If that doesn't do the trick then the post by Obyone with the TSB might be in order and costly if not under warranty. :P

Ray T.
  • bailey52bailey52 Member Posts: 1
    has anyone tried a leveling kit on the front of my truck?? Was it east?
    I have seen those leveling kits online.............

Most new GM trucks are a bit unlevel from the factory from side to side.
    The left side is a bit higher due to allowances for driver weight and the
    gas tank.
    Front to rear because of what you may carry in the bed.

A simple torsion bar adjustment with a ratchet and socket will level it out in a few minutes time for FREE! Its a DIY project.........

If ya need to know how just post and one of us will tell ya !

HEY RAY T !!!!!!!!!!! The snowplowing is DONE for the year !
    My poor truck sure got the **** worked outta it without a whimper!
    The "plowheads" still want ya to bring down the Mini so we can put it in the bucket of the payloader................LOL!!!!

Are ya gonna be in the Syracuse or Alex. Bay area when ya go on vacation?
    If the Bay let me know............Our motel will be open...You can park there for free and we can party ! Will have the Jetskis in the water for playtime too! :P
  • deemandeeman Member Posts: 1
    image :mad: I'VE HAD MY NEW 2005 SILVERADO 4.3 1500 LESS THAN A MONTH AND ITS BEEN TOWED IN TWICE AND I TOOK IT BACK AGAIN TODAY. THE FIRST TIME THE DEALER SAID IT WAS A BROKEN COIL WIRE. THE SECOND TIME A LOOSE INJECTOR WIRE. TODAY I TOOK IT IN, BECAUSE WHEN I START IT UP THE HOLE TRUCK STARTS TO SHAKE LIKE ITS RUNNING ON THREE CYLINDERS AND THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT FLASHES. THEN IT CLEARS UP RUNS FINE TILL YOU TURN IT OFF AND RE START IT. I PLAN ON CALLING THE CUSTOMER SATISFACTION 800 NUMBER TO SEE IF THEY WILL DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT. ITS LEFT ME STRANDED IN THE MIDDLE OF NO WHERE, COST ME A DAYS PAY, AND NOW AGAIN HERE I SIT WITH A RENTAL. ANYONE ELSE HAVING ANY PROBLEMS? HAD ANY DEALINGS WITH GM CUSTOMER SATISFACTION HOT LINE? ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT !
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Hi deeman
    Would you mind not typing in all capital letters? On the internet, that is consiodered shouting and is difficult to read. Thanks!

kcram - Pickups Host
  • con3975con3975 Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2001 chevy z71, that makes a very funny noise when I accelerate. It is somewhat of a beep or toot that seems to be coming from underneath the bed of the truck. I have had several professional opinions, but none of their ideas stopped this annoying noise. Ideas?
  • jogojogo Member Posts: 3
    Could anyone tell me where the outdoor temperature sensor is located on the 2003 Siverado?
  • baredoggbaredogg Member Posts: 32
    sensor on a cross bracket on drivers side in front of the radiator and condensor coil hope this helps it just pops in a hole with wire connected undo the clips on wire harness and squeeze bottom of sensor togather and lift and it will pop out
  • earnhardtearnhardt Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem with my 2004 4x4 Silverado Z71 with a crew cab. The slip yoke is listed as a fix for many GM trucks, but my 1500 with crew cab is not yet listed, so the dealer will not replace the slip yoke.

Apparently this has been a problem for many years and they just won't fix it!

Good advise. No one should buy a GM truck anymore.
  • tomcat6tomcat6 Member Posts: 1
    I have an '86 Silverado SWB 4x4 which I just put a 4" lift on. However I am trying to find out the best way to make the steering correct. I was told that the raised steering arm or the drop pitman arm would cause binding on a 4" kit. I have heard of a S-bend steering link that runs from the pitman to the steering arm would be a good choice. Do I need any of this or is the stock one good enough?
  • twevertstweverts Member Posts: 24
    I found a slightly better price on the part and I replaced it myself. Had to order it and ship to Germany (military). No special tools required on my 1999 LT Z71. Do it yourself is my advice.
    My total cost was under $200 and it only took 30 min. Of course this was after learning how to remove the door panel when I took my first look at my busted regulator. I simply replaced it and order the part. Went very quick the second time around.
  • whatsachevywhatsachevy Member Posts: 136
    Any comments or experiences out there with Flowmaster dual exhaust systems? I am considering dual exhausts for my '01 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 EC 6.0. A buddy of mine with an '01 F-150 has the Delta 50 muffler on his truck and likes it very well, but he only has the muffler. Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.