Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    Officially they're 'Sport Bars', not 'Roll Bars'. ;)

They're pretty thick and would take quite a while to rust through, but why don't you just get the original padding?
  • goducks1goducks1 Member Posts: 432
    It's a little bulky. And pricey. http://jeeptop.net/
    I hope it works a little more smoothly than their website. :shades:
  • iwntajeepiwntajeep Member Posts: 10
    Hey, I'm gettin ready to go off to college next fall and low and behold I'm lookin to get a wrangler!!! What a great graduation present, right? :) I'm lookin at an '06 X model, and was wondering what a good price to settle at would be??? They're asking $22,930 sticker price. Thats with A/C, Cruise Control, Wheel and Tire Group (priced at $600 individually). They're offering me $4200 for my 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo without even seeing it... I live in North Carolina and I feel like they could afford to come down on a lil on the price, what do ya'll think??? I just want to make sure I'm gettin the best deal possible!
  • believebelieve Member Posts: 74
    Hi,

Since they offered to purchase your 98 Laredo for 4200...take it to them and tell them you want to sell them the Laredo but that you also do not wish to buy their jeep...you'll find out right away that they don't really want to buy your jeep at 4200.
    The first thing I would do is look on this site "Edmunds" and do my research....all the info in the world is on this site......find out what the dealer is paying for the jeep you want to purchase and also chk to see if there are any incentives. Work a straight deal with the dealership for something like $100. over invoice or whatever the market will bear. After getting your best price.....show them your trade....better yet.....sell it outright.
    you'll thank me someday for this info! ;)
  • mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    It seems like I'm not going to sell the '98 Sport this week. My other half got the paperwork together to register it today (the tags have lapsed, oops!) and discovered that it needed to be smogged. No problem, drive to a smog place. As he pulled in, the check engine light comes on - something new. They tell him it's the throttle sensor (?), and arrange to replace it. However, to pass the smog now will take a cold start, some specific types of driving for at least 150 miles and so on - it's not going to happen this weekend (sigh), and we were planning on being gone for the next 2 weekends. It's looking like I'll have to take a day off from work or something else (like add it back onto my insurance long enough to register it to sell it).

I did give it a bath this afternoon when my hubby got back with it and tried to take some photos of it (getting ready for posting an ad on-line). Suddenly I'm discovering how difficult it is to take a decent photo of a black vehicle, especially since I don't want to emphasize the greyed flares. I never had this problem when I was taking pictures when we were off-roading!
  • ocean_shipperocean_shipper Member Posts: 70
    Hi everyone - I upgraded my recent Jeep (2000 Sahara bought in Oct last year; first ever Jeep!) to the one shown here. This is a 2003 Sahara with Auto and ONLY 25,000 miles! The other one had 83,000 that I bought with 77,000 miles.

The other one also had dual tops (tan over black) as this one does. HOWEVER, I have yet to take the hard top off either one. Thank goodness this one came with a video that shows how to remove and install the soft top. In reading the owners manual, it seemed a rather arduous task!

Wishing I had a garage, I do have a walk out basement. So I guess that's where it will have to sit until it is re-installed.

Any thoughts on tire upgrades? Chuck

Congrats Chuck!
    As for the tires....go to post 21482 and read posts from that forward. I did what Tom recommended and I'm very satisfied!!
    I myself just bought a 2002 Sport..last jeep was a 91. What a change!!
    by the way...yours looks mint
    later...lew
  • kennyrbakerkennyrbaker Member Posts: 1
    Congratulations!
    Great color combination! I would love to trade in my '98 Sahara(white/tan top) for a new one, but the separation anxiety would kill me.
    Tires - Are you going for looks, commuter driving, or combo? My Jeep service advisor suggested Michelins after my original Wrangers wore down(very quickly), and I've been very satisfied since.
    Top Removal - Learn from my stupid mistakes...DO NOT try to take the hard top off by yourself! Those painted fenders will suffer for it.
    Good luck Chuck,
    Ken
  • eastcoastdivereastcoastdiver Member Posts: 14
    hey everyone! just bought a new (used) 2005 wrangler rocky mountain edition with just under 1000 miles. i'm a scuba instructor and will be using the jeep to go to and from the beach parking lot every day. on days off i'd like to cruise on the beach and surf/fish. no mudding, rock-crawling, etc.

now i've only had her for a few days but i'm already thinking about getting a rhino professionally sprayed from firewall to tailgate and putting on the 31" bfg's you guys have been discussing.

i have two seperate issues...

1) i've gotten two estimates for the rhino near boston... for a grand and 1100. this price includes them taking off the top and the entire interior. i've got an apartment in boston and absolutely cannot find space to store a jeep's interior. i've talked to my boss about storing the hardtop in the shop's basement and i'm planning on selling the rear seat (i need room for scuba gear)... hopefully these two mssing pieces of equipment might lower the price a few bucks. has anyone in here paid this much for a rhino? also, can the inner wheel wells be rhino'd? should i do this?

2) i'm sure i'm not the only newbie who is confused by tire size and backspacing and rubbing and liffting discussions. i'm already convinced of the look and quality of the 31x10.5 bfg... thanks for the recommendation... but i'm also intrigued by the super swamper sts trxus all terrain 31x11.50 (tirepackage.com... $117). has anyone got these? will these fit on my jeep? i was looking at using mickey thompson rims with 3 5/16" backspacing from my friends jeep if these wouldn't work with the stock rims. i do not want to have the vehicle lifted.

i appreciate any help... sorry my first post was so long...

jackson
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    Congratulations on that Jeep purchase!

The backspacing of the wheels is what determines how close the inside of the tires will be to the frame of the vehicle.

More backspacing pulls the tires in closer to the frame, and less backspacing pushes the tires outward from the frame. Factory Jeep wheels have 5.5" of backspacing, which is a good bit, and this means that tires wider than 10.50" will almost certainly rub on the spring perches in the back and on the lower control arms up front.

Here's a diagram to help you understand backspacing.

You can see that it is where the mounting pad is located in relation to the inner and outer rims of the wheel that determines how much the tires will "stick out." Backspacing is defined as the distance from the mounting pad to the inner rim of the wheel, as shown in the diagram.

So, it is the backspacing of the wheels that determines the maximum width for the tires on a particular vehicle.

The tire diameter is usually limited by the clearance in the fender wells. Remember, the tires will move up and down as uneven terrain is encountered, so they have to have room to travel without hitting something.

Tom
    Have you hugged your Jeep today?
    re: 2) On sand you want a tire that's as wide as possible with the least aggressive tread. The idea is to have the lowest contact pressure by spreading the load over as wide an area as possible. The Super Swampers you're considering are designed to dig in to get grip, which is what you don't want on the beach.

Do consider regular washing of the mechanical components as well as the body. Salt water and salty sand are among some of the worst things you introduce to the chassis, drivetrain, steering, and suspension.

I used to be able to fit four tanks and the gear for two people in the back of Suzuki Samurai (and tow the inflatable), so you'll be good with your new Wrangler! :shades:
    thanks tom/mac!

tom, the diagram has sorted me out for the most part. very clear concept.

mac, thanks for the tips. lots of surfing buddies have also told me its the width of the tire i should be most interested in.

i've been reading lots of these posts the last couple of days... you two guys are studs... you get paid to dispense all of this jeep knowledge?

i'll try to check back in every week for more tips
    ... you get paid to dispense all of this jeep knowledge?

Nah, no pay.............but they do let us pick our own hours! :P
    LOL! I wish they would pay me for all this time - I'd make a FORTUNE!
  • drewmeisterdrewmeister Member Posts: 168
    Believe has excellent advice. Treat the trade-in and the new Jeep separately. In the end, everything comes down to profit minus costs of goods sold, so the dealer is going to offer as low as possible on the Grand in order to make more when turning it around.

Here's a great option, and I did this myself, so I know it worked. Take your Grand to a Carmax. They will drive it and do a quick inspection. Then, they'll give you a written piece of paper with an offer. If you get an offer of less from the dealer, Carmax will still buy the Grand from you. At least you know your baseline (which is usually pretty close to the Kelley Blue Book "good" range).

When negotiating without the "smoke and mirrors" of trades and "trade difference", it makes getting to the question of "what am I paying for the car?" much easier.

One other possible suggestion. Look into a 2004 or 2005 "pre-owned" Wrangler. I was looking into new Unlimiteds when I did exactly what I describe above. The dealer called me three times on the day I wanted to come in to "confirm" my appointment. They were even making me choose a color over the phone (so they could "gas one up" for the test drive was their reason). Finally, when the sales manager got pushy on the phone trying to get me to come in sooner (not that I had a JOB or anything) I bailed on them. At the time, new Unlimited were stickering for just under $26k. This was before all the 0% and employee special deals. When I went to get a trade value at Carmax, they had an 04 with 9k miles on it for $21k. And I love it. Even still had that new hardtop smell inside that will remind you of a boat (well, it does for me at least, but I'm also plainly nuts). Plus, transferred the remaining factory warranty over. I'm sure you could do even better now that the new Wrangler JK is expected in showrooms within a few months.
  • zeistzeist Member Posts: 8
    I appreciate the advice and the correction, but I really don't want to spend the money and buy original padding. For now I just bought some screws with rubber washers. My Jeep is going to be a step by step process and right now my eye is on a lift.

I really like how little it's changed over the years.
    That's the nicest looking green Jeep I've ever seen. All of the ones I remember were painted camouflage and were usually dented here and there. Certainly brings back memories...
    Another question?.... Is it my imagination or am I just crazy... I feel that my '03 sits lower than my '00. Is it possible that the seats actually do sit lower in the 03'? Both of them are stock with no mod's that I am aware of.

The only difference is that the '00 did have Michelins vs. Goodyear's for rubber. I have attached a picture of the '00 possibly for comparison.

Tom / Mac... any thoughts on this?

Is it possible that the seats actually do sit lower in the 03'?

The full and complete answer to that question is..........yes!
    All of the ones I remember were painted camouflage and were usually dented here and there.

This one isn't camo, but isn't quite as tidy as the green one either. It's a '41 next to a '97.

I'm guessing that this one is before your time? :blush:
    One of the reasons why I've been somewhat reluctant to sell the '98 Sport is that I prefer the higher seats in it over the '04 Unlimited's lower seats. I'm short and I have some problems with visibility while off-roading (note to self - gotta find a new cushion, my old one has gotten quite flat!).
    Yes - that one is before my time. However it looks much more like what I remember, though the ones I "knew" were probably from the '60s, maybe early 70s (it wasn't unusual for the Army to keep a vehicle 20 years - I think there were deuce and a halfs that were even older than that). As I recall, they still had skinny tires, didn't they? Ah, my memory has definitely faded over time, though I do remember the black-out lights on the front and the side mirror was the same. It's missing the long whip antenna and the unit markings on the bumper, though...
  • goducks1goducks1 Member Posts: 432
    One of these days I'm going to put this poster in my garage, all the military and civilian Jeeps over the years, it really shows how conservative the evolution has been.
  • koolbreeze2koolbreeze2 Member Posts: 252
    Great comparison pictures Mac. It has come a long way yet it has stayed the same. Thanks . I am forwarding these on to old Army friends. John
    the tire place across the street from my job (how convenient!) is helping sort me out. we've come to the conclusion that 31x12.5 pro comp a/t with my buddies 15x10 m/t rims (3 5/8" backspacing... thanks tom!) ought to fit ok. wish tires had a 30 days return policy...

i took my baby out on the beach this sunday! a brief outing because of all the rain but it was a completely different experience than what i was used to with the cherokee i got rid of.

sitting at work and can't stop staring at my jeep... is this normal?

jackson
  • wheelsdownwheelsdown Member Posts: 250
    Jackson,

sitting at work and can't stop staring at my jeep... is this normal?

Yep

Terry
  • keatskeats Member Posts: 412
    You can purchase seat risers or make them to elevate your seats. A guy named Randy Buchannan sells complete seat riser kits. I bought a kit from him to elevate my seat 1 inch. Love it.

Seat Risers
  • 99tj99tj Member Posts: 187
    "I really like how little it's changed over the years"

I think it's a testament to good simple design and fanaticism. I'm gonna guess there were some rough years where they considered discontinuing the line. Good thing for us hard-core fans and all the folks who "wish" they had one...we'll keep the Wrangler line going forever ;)
    I was one of those "wishers" just a few years ago. It's so fun being the one who gets the envious (or are you crazy?) look with the top down and doors off.

-Dan
    Thanks for the info, Keats! I have requested information on these kits. Chuck
    Goducks... Where can I purchase this chart that is suitable for framing?
    I noticed that the indicator lights on the 2003 are different than my 2000. There is a light that says "front axle lock" and one for "rear axle lock". I haven't put my Jeep in 4wd yet, so am wondering what is the difference between that and the 2000 model that says "Part time 4x4".

When I am in 4wd, will the light that is there "4wd" tell me indicate that I am in true 4wd both low and high range?

Sorry if I am too much of a newbie! Someone has to be a newbie and I am guess I am it!

Chuck
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Someone has to be a newbie and I am guess I am it!

That condition is very transient. You'll be an expert in no time and your act of bravery will encourage lurkers to join in. It will be their chance to be Newb for a Day! :)

tidester, host
    I guess you bought a Rubicon without realizing it! :surprise:

Engaging 4HI will be the same as your last Jeep, in other words drive will be connected to the front axle as well as the rear.

The difference will be when you engage 4LO. Initially it will be the same as before, but then you have the option to also lock both the front and rear diffs as well. I suggest you study your Owners Manual for a more detailed explanation and instructions.

Finally, your 4WD system is still a part time one. You have 2WD by default and the option to engage 4WD when appropriate.
    Where can I purchase this chart that is suitable for framing?

You can get that poster here: Poster.

I've got one and it's well worth the $12!

Another one available at the same price and place is this one:

Here's two more that follow the same theme. I've no connection with Quadratec, but I do think these nostalgic posters are rather cool. This is all of them, sorry they're a little on the large side. :blush:

• erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    My dash has lights that I can see about Part time 4x4 etc, but they never light up, but you CAN see that they are there. I thought I had something broken, but it is just a case of a universal dashboard being used in multiple Jeeps.

If yours don't like up and you don't have locker buttons next to where the ashtray is/would be, then don't worry about. :)

-Paul
    If yours don't like up and you don't have locker buttons next to where the ashtray is/would be, then don't worry about.

Absolutely. I was thinking it was a question about functioning lights.
    I've been officially notified that I'll be laid off in a month or so. (Not specifically me, but all of my co-workers as well).

I have a decision to make. Make next month's payment and continue to look for a job quickly, or let the Unlimited go. (I traded in a paid-for car for it, so I'm not upside down).

I was considering selling it and using cash to buy a CJ or YJ, but I may be in the situation where I pick up a long commute. In that case, I want to keep this brand-new 4.0.

Dang, I was really looking forward to buying the soft top for summer, but now I can't spend the money.

I suppose letting the Jeep go too quickly sounds like a strange idea, but I hate to lose those payments if it takes me awhile to find something else.
  • rd75rd75 Member Posts: 10
    All right, so I passed on the '95 YJ 4-cylinder. Now I am considering a '98 Wrangler Sport, I6 with manual transmission, 114,00 miles, for $5000. Only catch is it has a rebuilt title, it sat through a hurricane down in Florida. The top got beat up pretty bad and one of the windows busted out and it got a lot of water inside. A few nicks and dings but overall looks good. I have been told it never was flooded (i.e., sitting partially submerged in water), it just got water in the interior. I would prefer a few less miles, since I do put a lot of miles on my vehicles. I got a couple days to consider it.
    General rule of thumb is that a salvage titled vehicle is worth 50% of its value in current condition without the salvage title.

I would think that $10k would be rather high for a '98 with 114k in the condition you describe.
    God love you, Mac!

Oh how I wish it were true, but there is no locker button where there should be one (next to what would be the ashtray but isn't there either; nor the Airbag disable switch which isn't there either) with a blank black plug.

I suspect that I have the regular old part-time 4x4 system without the front lockers. The only difference are the 'available' lights in the dash unit for optional systems!

Just thought I would ask anyway!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Goducks and Mac's poster links remind me - have you guys met Sarge yet?

If you haven't done so already, be sure and become friends with at least one of the CARS characters before Friday at midnight. The winner gets to go to the world premier of the movie on May 26 at Lowe's Motor Speedway in Charlotte, NC.

Here's the link.

Steve, Host
  • 99tj99tj Member Posts: 187
    Great posters.

I have the "universal Jeep" and "hellbent for victory". I love that era of posters. Travel posters from that time are amazing.

I think I picked them up real cheap on the Jeep site a year ago or so on clearance.

-Dan
    I second what Mac says about the worth of a "R" title.
    Remember....good things come to those who wait!
    By the way...have you considered MTGALs 98.....it has high miles but those were all highway miles.....
    you might want to work out a deal on her's. ;)
    What a downer! Also a really hard choice - I'd probably try to hang onto the Unlimited as long as practical (and find a job soonest), but there's only so much you can do about that.

I'd offer you a good discount on my Sport, but don't suppose you are interested in a trip to California, are you?

Good luck whatever you decide.
  • keatskeats Member Posts: 412
    Hi, drewmeister, the same thing happened to me when I was working for GTE Networking in Dallas. My entire department was a victim of the merger with Bell Atlantic--the company that it formed was Verizon. Thankfully, working for a large company I could have taken moves to other departments, but they made the exit package so attractive, I couldn't resist.

Keep your chin up, one door closes and another one opens. Now, I work for one of the finest institutions in the world.

Don't sell the Jeep just yet, you might land that plumb job anytime!

I would probably take you up on that if I could, since I know it's been loved and treated right. That makes such a huge difference in a used vehicle.
    Thanks. It's a similar issue for me. I could move, but I would lose so much by moving that it makes it impossible.

I'm going to hang onto it for the summer at least. I remember how I felt for years after selling the first one.

Strangely, now that you mention it, the big D will be one option in the future. I have family there. I'll take that as a good sign!