Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado/GMC Sierra - Owners hangout

Comments

• hillhoundhillhound Member Posts: 537
    You didn't mention if you would be getting 4wd or 2wd. My advice on the engines is for 2wd go with the 4.8. For 4wd go with the 5.3, especially if you plan on towing anything with the truck. I honestly couldnt tell much difference in the two engines but a guy who has owned both trucks with both engines tells me there is a marked difference if you are pulling or hauling any kind of weight.
  • jaguar0027jaguar0027 Member Posts: 387
    other theory though....

you can't buy too much truck......but you can buy too little..

you can buy extra and not use it...but it's kinda hard to buy less and try to "find" more....

I'd go with a 5.3/3:73

- Tim

WELL PUT MY MAN!!!!!!!!

Jim
  • mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    I raise one to ya

- Tim
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    time on ya hands....muahahahaha!!!
    I resemble that!

LOL

heck..I wish

- Tim
  • 87lion87lion Member Posts: 166
    I've got the 4.8L/3.42 2WD x-cab LB and am very happy with it. I've hauled a fair amount of stuff in the bed as I've moved twice since December, once cross country. I've averaged about 18 mpg in mixed driving and about 21 highway.
  • eric2001eric2001 Member Posts: 482
    But I already agreed with you can't have too much (8.1-Alli), but it is growing old having to stop at every gas station around... Starting to think my truck has stock in the oil companies. LOL
    -Eric
    much more stopping than a 6.0...if any?

- Tim
  • maringamaringa Member Posts: 36
    Thanks everyone for their input on gear ratio's/engine size. (By the way, I'm didn't specify that I wanted a 2WD drive - don't plan to do any off-road driving). I'm leaning towards the 4.8 liter / 3.42 ratio, however after visiting many of the local dealerships (Dallas/Ft. Worth area), there aren't any 4.8 liter / 3.42 SLT's, only 5.3 liter / 3.42 SLT's. Maybe there will be more 4.8's when the 2002's come out, because the 2001's are almost gone due to heavy discounts in the area (up to $7,000 off MSRP w/rebates).
  • mledtjemledtje Member Posts: 1,123
    Most dealers don't stock 4.8L engines. The 5.3 costs more and they make more profit on them. I had to order my 4.8.

A 2001 5.3 discounted heavily is probably a better deal than a 2002 4.8. And I have and like the 4.8.

Mike L
  • truckchictruckchic Member Posts: 105
    Since you already got all the technical advise, I'll let you know my experience. I test drove both the Sierra and Silverado. Can't say there was a difference. What I found to be different, was in what GMC included in their truck and what Chevy Silverado included in theirs. It seemed like I got more thing included in the Sierra which were optional on the Silverado.

That is why I went with the GMC Sierra 4WD 4 door 5.3 liter. I love it!

Truckchic
    You just have to get over that big bass look of the front grill which is similar to a F150. But that shouldn't be too hard as others will have to look at it and not you. hehe
    to the base..but it costs more..

same equipped trucks I believe GMC is more?

- Tim
    locking nut washers?
  • eric2001eric2001 Member Posts: 482
    I thought it was grease nipples. LOL
    -Eric
    When I was shopping almost all the Silverados on the lots were 5.3L 4x4 short beds. I had to order my 4.8L 2WD long bed. I might have passed on the long bed if I had found a 4.8 2WD on the lot somewhere. (But I'm glad I got the long bed)
    or reg cab?
  • txyank1txyank1 Member Posts: 1,010
    downside to the Sierra vs Chevy, you have a grille that looks a lot like a Ford. The grille and the black bumper cap and side molding are the main things I liked better about the GMC. Didja ever notice how much better the Tahoe/Suburban grille looks in the Chevy.? Black grille with the chrome surround. One other disadvantage though, you don't find much apparel with "GMC" on it.
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    people have put that grill (burb tahoe) in silverados kinda pricy though in the 300-400 range

Ryan
    I haven't seen one like that yet. Have seen a few of the older body style with the Escalade and Yukon front ends. A favorite at the shows.

john
    ill scrounge up a photo
  • dustyonedustyone Member Posts: 262
    The only difference in the Silverado and Suburban grill is the Silverado surround is black whereas the Suburban is all chrome. (compare my '00 Silverado 1500 with my wifes '01 Suburban 2500 http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=259411&uid=52606 )
    They make an all black grill i think its on the Z71 burb
  • dustyonedustyone Member Posts: 262
    including the black grill
    huh?

You dont like em?
    that the black grilles are cool.. Someday in the future I think I will go for one.

Ryan - Went to a local 4x4 place here in NJ. It will cost $750 to install the A.R.E. fiberglass tonneau on my Rado.. Just thought you would like to know...

Jim
    Black billet...tha's what I had installed along with the billet bowtie. Anything to get rid of all that blinding plastic chrome.
    $750 for an install? Kinda outrageous don't ya think?
    LOL... ummmmmmmm ok that includes the cover + installation...

Jim
  • minikinminikin Member Posts: 389
    Jim -- Just paint the one you already have if you want black. That's what I did. Lot cheaper than a new one.
    -- Don
    Sounds like a good price. Guy quoted me for $725 installed
    That would be x-cab. I don't remember seeing many regular cabs on the lots either. Almost all x-cab shortbeds.
    I kind of like the Chevy grill, although I think the billet grills look good too.
    Stock chevy grill reminds me of a checker board.

Interesting to note that two people here have ext cab LB trucks. Sometimes, I think I need a long bed too....then I empty the junk out of the truck and no longer need it.
    Maybe the 2500 Suburban grille is diif. than the 1500. Every Sub. and Tahoe I've looked at the grille is black with chrome surround. Just the opposite of the trucks.
    You are right about painting it black! Would save me some $$$ but the billets.... ohhhhhhh they look sooooooooooooooooo nice. LOL

Ryan - I may be getting the ARE cover soon. I will let you know how it goes. Just need to save up a little more $$$$ if you know what I mean.

Also.. what all does the HPIII do for ya? Are they super expensive???

Jim

P.S. Got a Duraliner drop in bedliner in my truck last week for my birthday! WOOHOO! :)
    cost me $279.99 most places have them around 300-330

I have mine for the different tire size and shift firmness all i use it for

Ryan
    For the longest time on my 2K 2500 Ex.cab 6.0 4:10 245's...I always got 12.5 MPG.....city or highway. Around 30K miles I started checking it again and noticed tanks were in the 14 Plus range. Truck turned 36K last on Friday before a trip I took.

On the highway now...75-80 MPH with the AC on Max and fan on high almost all the time....outside temp of 92-97 degrees...it got 15.2 and 16.8...for an average of 15.89

Not bad for such a gas pig at first..

wonder what an 8.1 will do after 30K?

- Tim
    I think I paid $340 0r $350 for the HPIII from Summit Racing. I've never seen them as cheap as what Ryan got his for; wish I'd thought to ask where he got his before I bought. If you go over 265x75 on the tire size, they're essential because GM can't reprogram for the larger tire sizes. It's not just a matter of speedo/odo readings, shift points and abs settings are also computer controlled and noticeably adversely affected if the correction isn't made. I use mine for tire size, shift firmness, top speed limiter, and fuel grade/timing curve optimization settings/corrections. If you live in a warm climate and want to drop the thermostat opening point, it can optimize for that, too; as well as WOT shift points and some other stuff. Well thought out product and more than worth it to me.
    -- Don
    Got mine at a local autoparts place thought id be paying at least $350. When he said $279 my jaw hot the floor. I had to ask him to repeat the price hehe
    I don't know; figure higher empty weight and bigger motor -- maybe 10.5 to 12? Too bad they don't put that motor in a 1/2 ton, stick. They could call it the SS 4x4 8.1 Z71. 'Cept you'd need a long bed to get all those decal letters on there.
    -- Don
    Like one of those deals where the guy might be reading off the wrong column on the price sheet, and you suspect that could be what he's doing, but after you ask him to repeat it you aren't about to argue with him anymore?
    -- Don
    today. Went pretty smooth. About 15 min. I didn't have any burnt out, but the plastic housing was sure black and burned looking on both, where the bulb goes into the housing.
    ...Now Ryan is gonna be asking about Amber DRL's!

LOL

..Don,....some people say they get 12.5 or so in the 8.1...(same as I used to get in the 6.0).....so who knows?

- Tim
    dont worry i wont
  • dmnsmith2dmnsmith2 Member Posts: 21
    Can anyone tell me what this option is, detailed? TIA!
    do have that Passenger DRL that has been out for some time....I gotta replace that....but then I'd have to keep the truck for a while.....and I really should install that filter and get use out of that as well...

hmmmmm

gets good MPG now...warranty over....can go to the places I really want to fix it when needed....maybe keep it 5 more years!

hmmm

- Tim
  • dmnsmith2dmnsmith2 Member Posts: 21
    Can anyone tell me what this option is, detailed? TIA!
  • geowpowgeowpow Member Posts: 3
    I have a new 01 Rado x-cab 4.8 3.73 locker with 1800 mi on the odometer. Took a 300 mi trip today (Orlando to Sarasota and back) and averaged 21.93 MPG @ 75MPH with AC. Granted, this was all flat country, but I was so impressed I just had to share. BTW, I have no front wheel or front end shaking and no dreaded cold start knocking, tapping or pinging. So far, everything as advertised.
    In AutoTrac the system senses rear wheel slippage and, through a servo in the transfer case, engages the front axle for the duration. As a practical matter (assuming you want/need full time or quasi-full time 4wd) it's a hell of a lot better than the old, open diff NP203 system Chevy used in the '70s, but not as good as Jeep's full time proportioning differential, Quadratrac. If you leave Autotrac on it engages the front hubs full time and will quickly react to any differential slippage of the rear wheels (like tight turns at an intersection). It will cost maybe 1+ mpg, plus whatever added front end wear. Most(?)folks use the 2WD option in high traction conditions, Autotrac when the roads get sloppy (I just leave it on most of the winter in Denver), and 4Hi or 4Lo when you need it for whatever pass you're driving/crawling over. For what it's worth, while I liked my Jeep Grand Cherokee's drive system better for it's totally seamless and unobtrusive operation, overall I wouldn't ever go back. The Chevy Silverado/Tahoe/Suburbans (& GMC variants) clearly outclass the Jeeps.
    -- Don
This discussion has been closed.