Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• adplusoneadplusone Member Posts: 66
    We are buying a new (1999 Wrangler Sport with 10k miles on it) for our son for graduation. I would like to move up to a larger tire/wheel combo. Use will be mostly highway and lite off roading (no rocks) and we live where snow never happens. What is the max size tire/wheel combo I could go to without getting into the lift business??? Brand recommendations on tires....offset/brand recommendations on wheels? Thanks in advance!

Alan Hofer
    Weslaco, Texas
  • saharanutsaharanut Member Posts: 134
    anyone seen the Extreme 60th anniversary edition..
    OK...How Am I supposed to make up my mind when they keep on teasing me with new toys??
    Sorry I havent posted in awhile..
    Its geeting warmer...Yard work to do!...
    take care guys...

Snut
    Terry

Keep posting!
  • wdubswdubs Member Posts: 27
    Saharanut: I've seen the 60th Anniversary Edition. It comes in Silverstone Metallic or Black. I would have bought it in silver but it is only available with full doors and I wanted the half doors with soft windows. It's a great looking Jeep! There aren't too many around so if you want one get it soon.
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    Feel free to disagree with old tsjay any time, my friend.

I was combining my buying experience and old Tonkadave's. My dealer told me that DC includes an advertising fee within the invoice that covers national, regional, and local advertising costs. I never actually SAW Thelma Jane's invoice, but it supposedly included a line item for this advertsing cost. In my case, goducks, the Edmunds total didn't jive with the invoice, and, apparently, the difference was that ad fee, which Edmunds says they do not include in their invoice cost.

Tonkadave had to pay the extra ad fee for his area (Philadelphia) over and above the invoice cost.

Maybe things changed between the time you bought your Jeep and the time that I bought Thelma?

I don't know, goducks, it IS confusing! I thought that I finally had it figured out, but maybe not.

All I know for sure is that I got my Thelma Jane and I couldn't be happier!

tsjay

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
    Ive seen the 60th for awhile now..
    today on TV i've seen commercials for a EXTEME edition of it.. It has the black tubular brush guards on the front
  • tonkadavetonkadave Member Posts: 102
    You didnt mention weather the jeep had 15x7 or 15x8 rims. Either way, you wont have any trouble with putting 31x10.5 tires on without a lift. You might have to throw in a couple washers on your steering bumstops to prevent rubbing on full turns, but you might not. Your stock rims are more than likely 5.5 inch backspacing. Most aftermarket rims are 4.5 inches or less. That should be fine for those tires. You can shoot for a backspacing of half the rims width in inches. That works most of the time. If you put in an easy to install and inexpensive 2 inch spring spacer lift ($200.00) you would be able to move up to a 32x11.5 tire. I have seen stock TJs with 32s and 33s before. Its probably fine for the street, but im sure if they went off road they would rip their fender flares right off! I recommend The BFG All Terrain KO's for your jeep, if you do mostly Street driving. I have had them on most of my past vehicles and my current 2 trucks and never had any trouble.
    I researched the ad fees quite a bit while I was looking. I called several different groups at Chrysler to get some info on it. Chrysler says its a legitimate fee that every dealer has to pay. Some dealers choose to eat some or all of the costs. In some cases there is a regional ad fee like in my area. In Metro areas the cost of radio, TV and newspaper advertising is high,exceeding the Chrysler national amount. So they pass a zone ad fee on to the customer as well. I had to pay it. I went to every dealer in Southeastern Pa., Southern NJ and Northern Delaware. I even called Maryland. They all had the fee and would not eat it on an over invoice or invoice deal. As I said before, I walked out of several dealers over refusing to pay it and they just let me walk right on out. I guess in some areas they dont have the regional fee and only have the national fee. Its up to the dealer whether or not to eat it, or pass it on. By the way, it doesnt show up on the sticker price or the pricing guides. It is on the invoice though.
  • 2001wrangler2001wrangler Member Posts: 112
    I agree with Tonkadave on the BFG AT KO's. I have the 33x12.50's on mine and I really like them. As for wheels, I have the Centerline Hellcats on mine (15x10). You could go with the same wheel in a 15x8 with the 31x10.50 tires and have a great looking Jeep!! IMHO, the Hellcats are one of the best looking wheels on a TJ. You can see pics of mine at http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1426591&a=10683235

I have the Skyjacker 4" suspension lift too....
  • tntbeautytntbeauty Member Posts: 22
    :o) Thanks for the welcome Sas... even belated ones are nice.

Dad just bought new tires for Mom's 98 Wrangler (her first new set at about 45K). I don't know the size in inches (although we didn't raise or widen anything); they are All Terrain Wildcat LT's. Bigger than factory stock by at least an inch or two... wide meaty tread (which is good because she has a tendency to eat Honda's... **winks** @ Sas). Mom loves them and they do look pretty aggressive, though she admitted she feels slightly tippy/bouncy now. I am still on my factory Goodyears @ 40Kish.

Oh... and to the fuel economy discussion... my 99 4.0L I6 GCL with the tow package (I have no clue about gear ratios!) gets 17.8 during the summer, and 17.4 during the winter when I lug that gravel in the back end. (And yes, I get more miles for the buck when I use cruise control at about 63... but that is too darn slow!) My Dealer tells me my better than average fuel economy is due to my use of synthetic oil. Have no idea if that would help with Wrangler's too... and synthetic oil is about twice as much as the regular stuff.

Carry on... interesting the things I learn here as relates to my "day job." :o) You Gentlemen will make a grease monkey out of me yet.

Tara
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    With SelectTrac full-time 4WD in the 4WD Full-time mode, the power is split 50/50 between front and rear axles. It's only QuadraDrive that is a reactive system (read: RWD until slippage occurs).

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • sfjeepssfjeeps Member Posts: 66
    After getting a lift kit in you will have more sway because you will have more travel from the taller springs. I hope your not tearing up the freeway at 80mph. Keep in mind because you have lifted your Jeep you will have a higher center of gravity and more body roll as well. As for the steering play, check your front track bar and be sure it is tight. With wider tires the steer will feel different because you will get more rolling resistance.
    Hey, Mr. Drew! What's up north of the border?

We need to do some investigating on this issue of full time four wheel drive with the SelecTrac system.

I owned a '99 GCL with the SlecTrac system, and the owners manual stated that it was fine to run the vehicle in the full time four wheel drive position all the time. I don't remember if it got into how the torque was split front to back in this mode.

I do remember that the constant 50/50 split of torque front to back was what was you get in the PART TIME four wheel drive mode, and that's why they don't want you driving in this mode unless you are in low traction conditions.

Who can tell us what actually is happening in the full time four wheel drive mode???? What makes it OK to drive in this mode at all times?

Whether it is correct or not, I couldn't tell you, but I was told that in the full time four wheel drive mode almost all of the power goes to the rear wheels, and the front end only gets power under slippery conditions.

Somebody help us out here?

tsjay

• spyrodragonspyrodragon Member Posts: 147
    Yea man I know... I'm not complaining or anything. What is 80mph??? I havn't seen that in a LONG time :) I expected the sway and all, It's just that I'm not quite used to it yet... although I'm just about there since I love driving it so much more now! There's no way I'd do anything to hurt my baby on the road... Off-road well you know, things happen. I've spent hours under her looking at stuff, figuring out how things work and what could go wrong. Thanks for all you help yet again! I love it.
  • drouleaudrouleau Member Posts: 3
    So, I just take delivery on my new Jeep TJ about 2 weeks ago. Woke up today to start it, nothing happens. Get it towed to dealer, miss work today too, only to find out some animal has completely chewed through the entire underhood electrical wiring harness (1/2 in of copper wiring) overnight, thus huge electrical repair now needed. The Jeep is parked outdoors, with no garage, I have no choice. I can only assume raccoons or something else did this. They tried to nest atop the battery and the extra battery mount as well, due to the amount of grass and twigs I found there. How can I prevent this from happening again? (no shotgun suggestions please!) Do these electronic rodent repellent things work? Anything I could place atop the battery to prevent nesting/gathering?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Much to my surprise when calling for an update on my Jeep order, i found out it was Built yesterday! Blew right through frame, paint and trim all in one day. Less than 2 weeks after I ordered. Thats even with the plant down last week. It hasnt been shipped yet though and I will track it along the way. Now it gets exciting.
  • twylietwylie Member Posts: 619
    drouleau - never heard of that happening, and don't have any advice, but WOW! Good luck getting it repaired.

tonka - congats. That's great. Won't be long now.

-twylie
  • jthurlowjthurlow Member Posts: 21
    When I took delivery of my '99 Sport, two years ago, I had no documentation as to the gear ratio. I finally found the metal tab attached to the rear differential hub by crawling underneath--3.07 is stamped in the corner.

The 2001 Wrangler flyer states that the 3.73 is provided with the five speed when ABS and Trac-Loc are ordered together.

Suggest that you when you take delivery, first ask the dealer to put it on the hydraulic lift and look at the metal tab--assuming that the dealer provides you no paper work as to the ratio.

Best Regards,

J. Thurlow
    Even though we have chatted tonight, I wanted to publicly post a congrats on Tonkajeep being born!

Hopefully he will arrive at your dealer in record time.

CONGRATULATIONS TO A PROUD POPPA!

tsjay

• rb123rb123 Member Posts: 51
    As an owner of both a wrangler and a Grand Cherokee I think I can explain the difference in the four wheel drive systems. My JGC has the Quadra Drive system, this system is always in four wheel drive and it will move the power front to back and side to side and then there is Quadratrac which is also always in full time and based on traction will move the power front to rear but not side to side. then there is selec-trac which has two wheel, four wheel part time, and four wheel full time, now on this system power is not moved around the difference between the part time and the full time is that in part time the front and rear axles are locked together making it very hard on the system on turns if you are on dry pavement. In full time mode the axles are not locked together allowing slip on turns so the axles can turn at different speeds. So I think this should kind of explain it.

By the way did you ever get that soft top.
    The explanation above is exactly right. SelecTrac has a lockable centre differential. In full-time mode, this centre diffy is not locked, and power is split 50/50. In part-time mode, this centre diffy is locked and it becomes like ComandTrac.

You may want to read through the 4WD & AWD systems explained discussion topic if you're interested in the different 4WD systems out there.

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
    Thanks for the explanations!

I almost always drove my GCL in the two wheel drive mode, but the full time four wheel drive mode was good for ice and snow conditions.

I knew that I could leave it in the full time four wheel drive mode all the time, but I just didn't see any reason to do so when driving on dry paved roads, which was about 99.9% of the time.

Later, guys

tsjay

• sasquatch_2000sasquatch_2000 Member Posts: 800
    Could be porcupines. They are known to chew tires to get the salt.

Try spraying with some tabasco/water mix in an old windex bottle or something. That or soapy water?

good luck
    You were talking about exercising it in 4X4, and then mentioned all you had was grassy fields.

I bet after a rain, that would be slippery enough to let the wheels spin if you wanted.

Opinions?
  • scomoscomo Member Posts: 39
    my next question! I heard that I can order a 2001 Wranger up to about early July. By then they'll shut down the plants and get ready for the 2002 Wrangler. The question begs...What's the difference with the 2002 Wranglers? I have heard of a newer Wrangler, coded the VJ, coming sometime in either 2002 or 2003. Anyone know anything about this? I'm proabaly going to get a 2001 while the gettin is good, but I am curious what's coming down the oad for the Wrangler.

Thanks again for the pricing help!
  • goducks1goducks1 Member Posts: 432
    The 2002 Wranglers will not likely be much different than the 2001 models. The "VJ" (next generation) has been pushed back to 2005 or 2006. Obviously no one know what it will look like and it may or may not have an IFS. Take any web-based information on it lightly, DC has barely begun the design process. The 2003 Wranglers will prolly have the 3.7L V6 that appears in the Liberty this year.

You almost certainly do not have until July to order a 2001 Wrangler, and you only have until the end of the month to order one with the $500 rebate.
    There are a lot of reasons, as mentioned in the 4WD & AWD systems explained topic, that using full-time 4WD mode is beneficial. Basically it helps to stablise the vehicle and improve handling...so in other words, it's safer. Have a look at this:

http://www.4x4abc.com/4WD101/tractionturn2.html

http://www.4x4abc.com/4WD101/tractionturn4.html

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accesories message boards

• wdubswdubs Member Posts: 27
    scomo: As far as I know, 2001 Wranglers can only be ordered until the beginning of May. Place your order soon if you want a 2001.

The Wrangler doesn't seem to be getting any big changes until 2003 with a major redesign even farther off. According to Car and Truck news the 2002 Wrangler is getting new front seats and a mini trip computer/rear view mirror. Here is the link: http://www.carandtrucknews.com/chryed/buzz/b042401.htm

• twinklestwinkles Member Posts: 2
    Come on...can someone give me some quality info regarding ordering the 4 or 6? I will hardly ever be off-road, and 80% of my use will be in town. So tell me, do I really need to spend almost 3 grand more to get the 6? I priced both the SE and Sport out and getting the SE with the same basic equipment as the Sport (with the exception of hte engine) will cost almost 3 grand less. FYI, I need an automatic for my wife and daughter to drive!

What about the dual-top option?

Finally, my dealer has agreed to order at $200 under invoice, less the $500 rebate. I'll be getting it at $700 under invoice. Is this in line with what everyone else is doing? Please reply soon...I'd be interested in varied opinions from several Wrangler affecianados! Thanks!
    ho man, I'll pass on the obvious commentary about choosing the name "twinkles" here. I should get an award for this I think.

For your purposes, the 4 will be fine if you will mostly be in town. It will drag on the highway big time, especially if you mate it with an automatic. This combo will also eventually hurt you when you try to resell it. I'd encourage you to teach them to drive a stick-shift instead, but most women I know seem to prefer automatics so I know that is a difficult battle. I've had the 4-cylinder/auto combination on my first Jeep and it is torquey enough to handle speeds around town. I much prefer the current combo of 5-speed/4.0L on my current Jeep though. Beware that the Wrangler automatic is a prehistoric 3-speed with no overdrive.

Dual tops are a fantastic idea, but if this is not going to be a daily driver, why bother with the hard top? The new soft top is supposed to much quieter than the old ones. I have both tops but this is my only car.

Your dealer is offering a great deal. Jump on it.
    I thought you had already placed an order for a SE w/ auto and dual tops... (post in MTM on the 19th). If you need to reassure yourself, don't worry, this crowd isn't judgemental on other's Jeep choices/prefereences and will welcome anyone with a Jeep (or even those that think they might want one). It sounds like the options you got will be fine for your use. The only advice I can give after the fact is don't drive a 6cyl after you get yours . We drove both and it wasn't a question for us, we wanted a 6cyl. Auto wasn't needed as we both drove manual tranny vehicles up until our last vehicle. 5 Speed in teh Jeep is a lot of fun! We don't drive ours as a primary vehicle and our winters are mild, so soft top alone was our choice. Good luck either way and $200 under before the rebate is a great deal. Enjoy.

-twylie
  • 2001wrangler2001wrangler Member Posts: 112
    I found this on another forum and thought I would share it with the group here. The Wrangler did much better than I would have thought and would have done better yet with full doors.

http://www.highwaysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/summary_smsuv.htm

• ckingsburyckingsbury Member Posts: 44
    I have the auto with the 6 in my Sahara, and when I was looking the dealers said the one thing they didn't recommend was the 4 with the auto. It's an old, nasty automatic that definitely blunts the car, particularly at 45mph+. It's quite serviceable but if I didn't have to drive in heavy city traffic daily I definitely would have gone with the stick.

Another consideration is that you can't get ABS on the SE, an option which I recommend strongly if this Jeep will be driven by any young'uns.

-cwk.
    If all you do is road driving then you'll want the 4.0L. Even if your just in town, eventually your going to get on a highway or going up hills. and the 2.5L auto doesn't have it in either of those fields. My girlfriend can barely do 45mph going up hills! If you do go with the 2.5L make sure you get 3.73 gearing that you can get with it... you'll need it. It doesn't matter if you have the 2.5L or 4.0L off-road they both preform equally. One way you might be able to save some is to get just the factory soft-top and an aftermarket hard-top... although the new soft-tops are pretty dern quiet and a little bit warmer so you might not need a hard-top.
    Sorry for my earlier post where I assumed you were a female, but with a username like that, it was an easy mistake for me to make. Not exactly a macho screen name. I meant no offense.

I have the Sport and am very glad of it. I was so desparate for a Wrangler that when I thought that I wasn't going to be able to handle a Sport financially, I was tempted to go with an SE. After a test drive, though, I was convinced that I needed to wait until I could get the Sport. Just not enought power with the four cylinder for my taste.

My Jeep was going to be my daily driver, and I commute 27 miles one way to work. I also have to make occasional company business trips. In other words, I do LOTS of highway driving, and I felt that I needed the extra power of the 4.0 L engine.

Since you say you will be mostly in town, then it might not make that much difference to you.

You are sure right about the engine being about the only difference between a Sport and an SE! It's a shame that you have to pay so much for the six cylinder engine!

That deal is the best I've heard of! GO FOR IT!

tsjay

Hey, Terry!

Still workin' on Mrs. Nut? Don't give up!

Don't forget the chat tonight. We missed you last week.

tsjay

• madman390madman390 Member Posts: 72
    Hello all! I won't be able to make the chat tonight. I'll actually be at work! Here in Japan, the chat time is 10:00am on Friday mornings, and I don't think your tax dollars would be effectively used by me spending time online.

Anyway, I still have about 90 days till I pick up my Jeep, but I have a question for everybody. When you first take delivery of a new vehicle, in our case a new Jeep Wrangler, what should you look for? I've seen inspection checklists for other vehicles, and I have one for a Ford Truck that I will tailor and use, but if any of you have other things to look for, I'll be happy to compile them and then put this out for everybody to use.

You can find the Ford checklist here:

http://www.ford-diesel.com/faq/1999faq/General-NVCPrinterVer.htm

Enjoy.

Madman

I'd make sure all the fluids are full, and make sure nothing is dripping from underneath.

Then, I'd give a quick scan to make sure all wires are plugged in properly.

After that, check the fit and finish.

MOST IMPORTANTLY, KICK ALL 4 TIRES, HARD!!!!
  • big_davebig_dave Member Posts: 13
    Hey all -- I just bought a '99 Wrangler Sport this week, and I'm proud to say that it kicks [non-permissible content removed]!!!!! The V-6 is definitely worth it, although even for a used it cost me about $3K more.

Quick question -- does anyone have any experience buying and installing an add-a-trunk? Mine didn't come with one, and I need a locked storage space. Is installation easy? Any recommendations on manufacturers? Are you glad you have it?

Thanks!
    Why not make your own?

Just use some plywood, and a couple galvanized hasps. Paint it nice (black works), throw on two padlocks, and you are all set. You can even customize the size and the interior if you want.

Heck, you could make a whole tailgating kit if you wanted, too.

Use your imagination, it is lighter on the wallet.

good luck.
    They are out with the V6 now?

I thought that was next year or something.
  • ckingsburyckingsbury Member Posts: 44
    All electrical stuff. Radio, air, all lights (including external). I had a blown headlight fuse that didn't show up until I was getting it inspected :(

-cwk.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    If you're interested in receiving a Wrangler Club chat reminder via email, please send a request to Dana (dlivingston@edmunds.com). She will send you a weekly reminder.

And don't forget tonight's chat!

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs
    MotleyFool has a good starting point:

http://www.fool.com/Car/Worksheets/DeliveryChecklist.htm

As for Jeeps, some other stuff to add would be:

- paint quality (easier to check out of direct sunlight with a bright shop light or flashlight held at an angle to the body.) tsjay had a paint run in his and I have matching "bad spots" on the half doors near the bottom.

- tools - did it come with the spare tire lug lock in the glove box? If you got the hard top, did they provide the removal wrench?

- soft top - do the zippers work well? Are the seams sewn well (one of our half doors is poorly sewn from a cosmetic standpoint, but doesn't leak and appears strong)

- half doors - do they come out easily and go in easily (our passengers was very difficult to put in until I noticed one of the receiving holes wasn't lined up well from the factory)

- undercoating - look under the tub to see if they sprayed undercoating everywhere it should be

- axles - make sure you got the one you paid for with the right ratios (someone posted that they paid for Trak-loc but didn't get it) Trak-loc is evident from a tag on the diff that states the fluid requires friction modifiers.

- tire pressure - make sure yours is lowered from the 39psi they ship with, especially if your first trip will be a long one.

- idle quality - ours was rough, many say theirs is fine. New plugs fixed ours.

- 4WD, you may ask if they have a gravel lot where you can engage the 4WD before leaving to make sure everything is working and get a demo on how to engage the system.

- instructional video - should be in the glovebox.

- airbag deactivation switch - make sure the light turns on when the airbag is off.

- tie down straps - should be in a bag in the glovebox. These are for tieing the windshield down, the sides of the sport bars when removed and one is used to keep the rear seat tied in the 'flip-n-fold" position.

that's all I can think of for now, but this is a great question to ask. I'd love to get a copy of the final list for my site if you compile one.

-twylie

I was wondering if anyone missed me...
    Hey I'm still working on Mrs Nut...
    but like i said earlier...As soon as we get rid of our mobile home..TJ is mine..
    Hey..prices are coming down TOO...
    I just talk to my dealer..

60th anniversary
    dana 44
    speed control
    sentry key
    t-loc
    22,700 -500 rebate + tax & title
    total of
    $23,454.25 of the lot price

how does that sound?

see you in chat tonight...maybe be a little late but i will be here!

Snut
    Terry
    ok..its 8:00 CT where is the chat?
  • scomoscomo Member Posts: 39
    Hi all... First thanks for your help with my Jeep questions. Secondly, I have more questions about some options I was thinking about.

1. I'm in Buffalo so I was thinking of the dual top option because the winters are terrible but I don't want to store a hardtop in the summer and it's $1300 I can use somewhere else ... so I was leaning against it.

2. I'm not sure about air-conditioning. I'm tempted to get it just to help with the defrosting of the windows but it seems so "unjeeplike" to get AC. Plus in Buffalo the summers are so short. How many people have AC & like it?

3. Anti-lock brakes (ABS). I heard the brakes on the Wrangler are marginal at best and they didn't seem too great when I did a test drive so I was thinking of getting ABS but if you want ABS you have to get trak-lok differential too for a total of around $750. Anyone have ABS care to comment?

Thanks again for all your help. Now if I can just find a Great Jeep dealer in the Buffalo area, I'd be all set!

Scomo
    You posted while a number of us were in the weekly Wrangler chat. Stop in next time.

1)If you were in any place else, I'd say you don't need the hard top, but Buffalo...I've heard you all get the worst winters in the mainland U.S. You might think about this a bit. I have both tops and it works well in the Pacific Northwest.

2)get a/c. I thought it was unnecessary and I was wrong. Driving on the highway with the top down is unrealistic for long road trips, and you'll need a/c then. I got mine retrofitted.

3)ABS is a stand-alone option, you don't need the trak-lok. That said, the trak-loc is a great investment and worth the $$ for the extra traction. So is the ABS. I have both and am very happy when I drive in the mountains in the winter.
    Sorry about the pics but I just have to show off my baby now...

• tntbeautytntbeauty Member Posts: 22
    While I adore my GCL, I can see why you all rave on the little Wranglers. Well, actually, they don't look so little when all tricked out. Your Jeep would dwarf my GCL if parked side-by-side.

I'd better not let my Mom see the pictures of your Jeep though. She's tolerably happy with the tires Dad bought her, along with the other goodies on her Wrangler. If she saw yours she'd start giving Dad more grief than you can imagine.

Glad you shared Darlin'. (I gotta find myself a scanner.)

Welcome to the board Scott... do everything these guys tell you to and no one will get hurt. :o) (And I too have heard about Buffalo winters... you get so much snow every year, how is it that every time you get a storm y'all are surprised? And blondes are tormented for being slow-witted... ) **wink**

Stirred the pot enough for one night; take care everyone,

Tara