Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• drewmeisterdrewmeister Member Posts: 168
    Well, I installed a Tomken bumper. Technically, it's not tow rated, but it works great as a receiver with a drop bar, and it gives me more clearance than installing a separate hitch would have. Plus, it's got tow pins or will carry a D-ring adapter in the hitch part. I wound up custom-splicing a harness in the wiring at the rear behind the gas tank (solder and heat-shrink connections) Sounds like the Hoppy would have been much easier. I have a flat-bed converted boat trailer that hauls everything I don't want to put in the Jeep (or can't fit).
    Saw this on an episode of Trucks and Tivo'd it for later. Looked like it worked great. The whole episode was about improving the paint on a TJ.

Trucks 4/15/06
    Jeep Rubicon Project -- Flitz
    Flitz "Ball" system was designed to polish wheels, but its buffing attachment and polish works great on plastic and plexiglass windows of a soft top.
    Phone: 800-558-8611, 262-534-5898
    www.flitz.com
  • dtrabdtrab Member Posts: 2
    My Check Engine Light went on in my Jeep Cherokee so I took my jeep to Auto Zone. They gave me the code P0455 and said there was an Evaporative Emmission Control System Leak. So...what does that exactly mean and how serious is it? Help, Please?!
  • rross8085rross8085 Member Posts: 4
    common cause is a faulty gas cap.
  • texasjeeptexasjeep Member Posts: 270
    Wow. The U-Haul places I called would not even talk to me once I told them I had a Wrangler. They wouldn't even sell a hitch to me. I am surprised the U-Haul stores vary that much in policy.
    I have one of those balls from a different manufacturer. I will have to try that some time.
    I have the bestop seat covers. They are not neoprene or at least not the ones I have. They are waterproof, which is what I wanted. The fit isn't great but it is good. I am happy with them but they are starting to come apart a little. I am not sure how many years I have had them but it has been awhile.
    The stock tire carrier is rated at 50lbs and that includes the spare tire. I wouldn't do it. I do think the stock carrier can carry more than 50lbs but I wouldn't push it too much. I don't own a Wilderness tailgate rack and from the pictures you can't really tell much either.
    You may want to look at getting a 2" receiver instead. The receiver racks work good and some of them are raised. I think they have adapters to go from 2" to 1 1/4 so you could still use your bike rack and whatever else you already have.
    I would take your hardtop and doors off on a nice weekend and see how you like it first hand. I use a bikini top here a lot because of the heat and it keeps the wind down also. I even drive doorless with the full top (softop) on sometimes and I really enjoy that.
  • rross8085rross8085 Member Posts: 4
    you can always order one online from Uhaul. the hitch for the wrangler supplies everything needed including the fish wire to get the bolts into the frame. mine took about 30 minutes to install.
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    dtrab:

I could be as simple as the gas cap not having been tight at one time, and, if that is the case, the light will eventually go off.

The fuel systems are closed loops on vehicles made after some point in time several years ago. The idea is to prevent any gas fumes from escaping to the atmosphere.

A periodic check is made by your vehicle to test for pressure leaks in the fuel system, and when one is detected, the check engine light is triggered.

Tom
    Have you hugged your Jeep today?
    That is a good idea, but I plan on getting one integrated into a rear bumper when I get around to it.
  • goducks1goducks1 Member Posts: 432
    That is really weird considering they have the hitch on their website. This was about 2001 when it was put on, in Oregon. The guy at the U-Haul place had it in stock and mentionted to me the installation was free, including wiring! I drove there immediately before he came to his senses or the manager showed up and had them install it that afternoon. I think I paid less than $130 for the hitch and wiring, including installation, and it's never given me any trouble.
  • harlinharlin Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know whether soft top replacement windows for an 03 or 04 wrangler would fit an 02 model year?

The tops over those model years look identical to my untrained eye. But replacements for '02 model is about three times as expensive as later years (according to Mopar/dealer). Dealer told me the later, cheaper years should be the same, but would promise it.

Catalogues always list tops and parts for 97-02 models, and then 03-current, suggesting there was a change in 03. But I can't see what it is.
  • keatskeats Member Posts: 412
    The size of the header clamps are different between the tops, but I'm not actually aware of any other differences, maybe it's the material?
  • puppyfangpuppyfang Member Posts: 2
    Wondered if anyone has had this problem and if they know of a fix...took to dealer two times and they finally heard it...said there is nothing they can do...no recall or fix for it...just learn to live with it....well a rubicon made in 2004 should not sound like an old chevy...went to a couple of other jeep sites and it looks like other people have had this problem and the only fix is to replace the slave with a new one...but my dealer will not...got any ideas...thanks
  • chadsjeepchadsjeep Member Posts: 1
    I have a 97 wrangler 2.5 with 110,000 miles. It has been running rough for a while now. When hot it will almost die when you pull up and stop. The check engine light is on and the OBD has trouble code 51. In the Hayes auto manual that is describing "system lean". I have done several things. Tune up, plugs, rotor button, distributor cap about 3k ago. I replace the wires about 30k ago. New converter about 40k ago. I took it into a Jeep dealership and they advised me to first replace the bank 1 O2 sensor. That didn't work. Since then I have replaced bank 2 O2 sensor and still no change. It is running rich if you take a look at the tail pipe and the smell is rich. I can't figure it out if the OBD shows "system lean" why is it running so rich? The fuel mileage has gone down to 10 mpg. Any advise please let me know.
  • smccallismccalli Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone provide any insight on replacing my 1995 Yj soft top. I've heard good things about Bestop, but I am curious about any other reliable brands for someone on a budget?
    Because the trouble code is detecting "lean", the system is compensating by running a richer mixture to protect the engine. I agree it would seem like an oxygen sensor issue, but it might not be. This is from autorepair.com -
    A. The code 51 is: "Lean O2 signal. Oxygen sensor signal indicates lean fuel/air ratio condition during engine operation".

This does not indicate a bad O2 sensor. It's saying the O2 sensor is detecting a lean condition beyond it's ability to compensate. Basically the O2 sensor did it's job in trying to compensate and reporting the failure to do so.

Since the 2.5 doesn't have banks, I assume they replaced the Front and Rear sensors. (Also known as Up- and Downstream, relative to the catalytic converter.) The downstream O2 sensor should be detecting rich fuel after the converter, since the engine is going rich to try to cure the "lean" information it's getting. So you might go back to the repair shop with this information. I have actually unplugged the upstream sensor on some vehicles to diagnose issues, and it seemed to help, as the o2 sensor quit reporting, so the mixture would thin back out.
    Bestop uses Haartz fabric which is pretty much the standard for Jeep tops. So does Pavement Ends. Not sure about Smittybilt and of course you should always stay away from Steel Horse. If you are just replacing the fabric, I wouldn't think it would matter much who sews it. Bestop heat-seals its windows, but I don't have heat-sealed windows on my soft top and no water leaks through them.
  • believebelieve Member Posts: 74
    Hi,
    You don't mention the mileage and is the jeep still under warranty?....I had a 2003 ranger that had the same problem as your jeep.....I took it to the dealer....they listened to it and made an appointment to drop the tranny and replace the slave cyl...no questions asked....but it only had 15000 miles on it.......
    If I were in your shoes I would try another dealer BUT before doing that...stop in and see your sales person and explain that if you don't receive some service on this pronto...you and your friends and family will be taking your business elsewhere in the future....though be nice at the same time ;)
    Hi John,

doing some research on speakers and I noticed in some of your older post that you have some knowledge in Infinity speakers?...I have a hearing problem but can really tell the difference in factory and Infinity speakers....my question is this....I have a 2002 sport with sound bar ....what size speakers would you go with and whatever else I might need to know?...Just looking for some nice sound....nothing booming...
    by the way...I have a JVC radio/cd player.
    thanks....Lew
    In my '04 I have Infinity Reference 5.25's. (They make a very inexpensive adapter to fit round 5.25's in place of the 4x6's in the dash. This is a great upgrade, especially if you go to Micheal's or Hobby Lobby and get pillow stuffing poly-fill to use to fill the air space.) Huge sound improvement. These same speakers also fit in the sound bar, but I've seen folks on the web putting 6.5's in the sound bar as well. I just like to camoflage everything, so I have the stock head unit (with an i-pod aux adapter) and the Infinity speakers (behind stock grilles, I just don't want to give anyone a reason to break in). Here's more details from the place I bought mine. Offroad Toystore
    I replaced all my factory speakers with same-sized Polks when I got my '98. They sound great. Haven't tried the pillow fill thing but I also put the factory grills back on top for hte same reason you did. And my JVC head has lasted 8 years now.
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    Did you have some kind of baffle behind the speakers in the dash? What exactly did you stuff the polyfil in - the whole dash or in the baffles?

I have 5.25" MB Quart speakers in front and Kicker 6x9's in the soundbar and want to stuff both things with polyfil, but worry about having polyfil just hanging around behind the dash.

-Paul
  • mike_cmike_c Member Posts: 8
    Did you have to cut the metal bracket to fit the 5.25's? I was looking at an installation report on rockcrawler.com, and they used a Roto Zip to cut the bracket. Just wondering if this is necessary.
    I'd be nervous about putting polyfil behind the dash personally.

While we are on the subject of stereos does anyone have one of those Tuffy center consoles with a sub in it? I'm thinking of putting one in this summer with a small Polk sub. Where can you put the amp for it?
  • mike_cmike_c Member Posts: 8
    I've seen people put amps under the backseat or under the driver's seat.
  • koolbreeze2koolbreeze2 Member Posts: 252
    I went with Infinity speakers that were the same size as the stock speakers in the dash and the sound bar. Great improvement in sound. John
    Hi John,

do you recall what size the stock speakers were...and did you run into any difficulties installing them....(may sound like dumb questions but I'm not much with sound equipment) :confuse: .

Last question;;;;Ball park figure on the cost end?

Thank you !!! really appreciate it.
    Lew
  • kommandokommando Member Posts: 8
    Like I said, Wilderness makes some good products, but the Wrangler tailgate isn't designed to support much more weight than the spare tire. People who get oversized tires (over 31") usually get aftermarket sparecarriers (like the ones @ www.jeeperman.com) that mount to the frame instead of the tailgate for this reason. I would install the supports provided by Wilderness, or get the Hitch-Haul with the 1 1/4" mount.
    Wow! Considering that most hitches are over $120 for parts alone, that's a steal!
    Bestop Replace-a-top, if your hardware is still good. If you need new factory hardware, Smittybuilt may make what you need. Otherwise, Bestop makes a decent complete top. I ran their Supertop for several years, and it got the job done. Now I run a frameless top from www.slicktops.com. I also got a top-prop because the frameless top is flat and level, rather than slanted, so now the rain runs off a lot better. It's about as easy to remove/install as a full Jeep soft top is gonna get. It fits pretty tight, and it's really quiet with the top-prop nocked into place.
    Check out the mounting design of the Jeeperman bumper and the frame tie-ins they offer. There is a similar design by Rockhard4x4, but the Jeeperman seemingly has more options. I've already got a set of bolt-on tie-ins for the outside of my YJ's framerails, but may add a mirroring set inside the framerails when I drop my fueltank to put on a beefier skid.
    Duck, my thoughts exactly about the polyfil. I DO have baffles I could put it in, but they aren't THAT big. :)

I DO have a Tuffy console with an 8" Kicker in it. My amps (yes I have 2) are mounted under where the back seat would go. I have a trunk covering the back half of my TJ that holds nearly double my weight and is a PITA to get off. I secured with turnbuckles to the seat mounts.

My Kicker amp runs the front/rear speakers and the Alpine is a single channel running the sub.

If you have any other questions, just ask.

-Paul
    I REALLY REALLY like my Jeeperman. :) The tie ins are pretty much required for carrying the spare to distribute the load.

Raingler offers options like racks, Onboard air carriers, etc to mount to the carrier as well.

CB antenna and hilift mount points are standard.

-Paul
    Nope. Raw polyfill. Not really an issue with volume as there isn't that much space, and if you buy a small bag for around 3$ you'll have 3/4 of the bag left. It doesn't take much. Really does make an improvement by reducing standing waves that naturally occur in an open space such as that open dash area. Kind of confused as to why Jeep doesn't put a baffle in from the factory?

Anyway, I can provide pics if anyone is curious as to what it looks like filled.

Here's some more experiences from jeepforum
    No bracket. Kind of a pleasant surprise when I took the grilles off and the support brackets had changed design and did not have to be cut.

I believe that happened around the 2000 model year, but I could be off on that. For me, the adapters just screwed right into place, no modification necessary.
    kommando what do you mean by a "top prop?" I have the pooling problem with my frameless top too.
    The top-prop is a product made by Skid Row to add a slant to frameless, Island, and bikini tops to prevent pooling. You can find several retailers by searching at www.google.com. I got my top and prop online.
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    I won't put the pics up because they're a bit big, but here's the link: TopProp.
    Similar to the one that came with my top except this one runs horizontal, which looks like a better setup. Mine reduces the water pooling but I still get two small pools on either side.
  • zeistzeist Member Posts: 8
    I currently own a 2001 Jeep Sahara. My tires are stock and are ready to be replaced. Having been helped many times already on this forum, i didn't think twice to post my current question.
    What I'm looking for is a good all-around tire that will do well in Buffalo, NY snow and also the old logging roads in the Alleghany National Forest during the wet springs.
    I also want to have a tire thats a little bigger than my current size, maybe even rounder.
    I have no clue about purchasing good tires and the last thing i want to do is waste my money. Thanks again for your help.
    BFG AT's (All Terrains) are great on road tires, but may have some issues in rain. In the snow, I've had no issue with them.

The Mud Terrains (BFG again) would be good on the logging roads, depending on how muddy they are when you run em.

I currently have TrXuS MT's and they have worn well so far on the road, though they do have SOME noise (nothing major). They grip like crazy offroad too.

-Paul
    An often asked question, to which the most common reply is the 31"x12.5"x15 BF Goodrich All Terrain KO (BFG AT KO), though it's not the only good choice.

However, I think you may have a problem finding a tire that's rounder than your current ones! :surprise:
  • zeistzeist Member Posts: 8
    Would I be able to use the stock rims on these tires?
    If you have the Canyon wheels on your Sahara you will.
  • keatskeats Member Posts: 412
    Say, have my fellow Jeepers noticed that the Wrangler has made 3 of Edmunds 06 Top 10 lists?
    The lists: Lowest TCO (Total Cost of Ownership), Highest Residual Resale Value and of course the Best Offroad Vehicle list.

I wasn't surprised by Residual value, I already knew the resale value was great, but the TCO was a little surprising, but I suppose that goes hand-in-hand with the residual value...
    Does TCO include fuel consumption? If so, that makes it even more praiseworthy.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Yes, TCO includes fuel costs. Read all About True Cost to Own here.

tidester, host
  • jeep99tjjeep99tj Member Posts: 1
    my 99 Jeep Wrangler Sport is running very rich, and it cuts out for a second around 2,200 RPM in all gears. I have changed the spark plugs, O2 sensors, I have checked the headers and gaskets for any cracks or leaks and found nothing. I have also taken it to a Jeep dealer and two independent shops, with the same response...O2 sensors are bad, so i replaced them and in about a month the problem pops back up again. Any ideas are welcome, thanks.