Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy S10/GMC S15-Sonoma: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• alcanalcan Member Posts: 2,550
    Check the fluid level in the master cylinder reservoir. If ok, you'll need to have an ABS capable scanner hooked up to check for any stored diagnostic trouble codes.
    Could be several things. Start by having any stored ABS trouble codes retrieved.
  • hoodlatchhoodlatch Member Posts: 255
    I have a 92 4.3z which was doing the same thing. A code check of 33 came up. I replaced the MAP sensor ( around $30. bucks and five minutes) and it runs fine now at start up and otherwise.
    Al,
    Thanks for your reply on the ABS. I finally got my new ABS modulator valve in the other day. It fixed the problem as you indicated. New question. What's your thoughts on electric fan retro kits for same S-10. One time in cooler weather, we drove it a couple of times on the highway with out the fan. We were waiting for a back ordered fan clutch. It had a marked response in zip. For an old guy in an old truck, zip is good.
    John
  • joe3891joe3891 Member Posts: 759
    Good to hear back that you got the ABS problem sorted out. Using the red brake warning light to indicate an ABS problem wasn't one of GM's brighter ideas. Re the electric fan retro, great idea as long as you get a serious unit like this one and not one of the 10" toys:

http://www.tellico4x4.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/33_1896/products_id/18067
  • jbovee23jbovee23 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 87 S-10 doing the exact same thing. I have been trying to eliminate things as time has passed. Have even gone so far as to replace gas-tank/fuel pump. Replaced Distributor cap, coil, plugs, etc... while trying to start if watching the Throttle Body injector the few times it DID start - there was a more solid flow of fuel spitting... when it wouldn't turn over - it was a LOT less. I think our next step is to look into taking that off - and checking the filter on it - and maybe replacing it... Have any luck since you posted this?

Also pulling out hair...
    JB
  • gearshift1gearshift1 Member Posts: 4
    have you checked the brake hose it can splinter off on the inside and a flap of rubber will pass fluid one way and block it th other way ...
    For a long time now the wipers on my 92 S-10 have been acting goofy. Sometimes when I turn on my signals the wipers will cycle a time or two. Then sometimes going down the road for no reason the wipers will cycle. I suspect its the wiring in the steering column. Has anyone else experience this problem and if so how big a project to correct?
  • canufixitcanufixit Member Posts: 165
    It sounds like the "Mist" circuit is turning on - because, asyou said, the wipers only cycle one or twice (or otherwise stated to not stay on - or do not squirt fluid ...).... ??

Try this to try to isolate.

While sitting at a dead stop and ign on. - try to SLOWLY turn on just the mist cycle and see how much you have to move (rotate?) the switch. Do the same to the wiper on switch .... The thought here is that it might not be in the wiring - but that the switch(es) contact(s) may be so close that a jiggle of the truck /bump- or a nudge on the turn signal may make the switch(s) close for a second all by itself/themselves ... At least you may be able to tell if it's in the wiring in the column / harness/Vehicle - or in the switch(es) themselves/ itself . I'm not sure if there is a way to adjust the switch if it's too close/senstitive ....

SteveC
  • hunterjhunterj Member Posts: 2
    I have a 98 S10 with the 4.3L and automatic tranny, lately I have noticed a loud noise that occurs while traveling anywhere from 30 to 70 MPH. The noise sounds similar to the fan (only much louder) and seems to come from the front passenger side of the vehicle, but I don’t think its coming from the engine. The noise completely goes away while the steering wheel is turned at all to the right? Does anyone have any ideas on what is causing this or how I might fix it? Thanks-Hunt
    Sounds like a right front wheel bearing to me ....
    SteveC
    I'll second that diagnosis, wheel bearing, when you turn toward the suspect it gets quite. 4 wheel drive, common problem.
    I had my left front bearing changed under warranty (32K !!).... I looked in the GM shop manual I bought - it "looked" easy to change - basically pull the caliper and unbolt the flange plate, that is part of the bearing assy, - and replace .... However - the description I read to "change it per the book" looked terrible .... be sure to check the manuals if you decide to change it yourself !!!!
  • brightdimbrightdim Member Posts: 5
    my '03 ZR2 had it's AC serviced nearly 3 weeks ago. turns out, the transfer case vacumn switch was leaking oil into the AC control head, rear of HVAC control head, vacumn canister, both interior harnesses, and all HVAC actuators. so, they replaced those parts then cleaned the vacumn line from switch to four wheel drive actuator, removed main vacumn line from engine to clean and cleaned vacumn line to the interior harnesses. next day, the truck majorly overheats with no warning and i'm talking coolant at a rolling boil in the resevoir, the engine smelling burned, and the radiator stone dry and there's fluid streaming down the pass. wheel well.. ever since then it's been a battle with the dealership to fix it (they claim it was a faulty radiator cap) and a battle to keep it from overheating. now my transmission doesn't shift until redline if it's been running for more than 30-45 minutes, it won't shift when accelerating, and the engine has a loud roar to it. remeniscent to a cold start in winter with almost a metal on metal sound?

what could have made the trans. case leak oil? what damage could the leak have caused to the engine or transmission if any? could the issue with the AC have caused the engine to overheat? any help would be great :D the truck is back at the same dealer for the third time and they told me after this, they washed their hands of it. chevrolet told me they can't do jack because the dealer is privately owned. anyone have suggestions?
  • brightdimbrightdim Member Posts: 5
    in my experience, if you haven't driven or moved the vechicle while turning it on and off to get an accurate reading, chances are you need to replace the gauge which is comprised of a resistor wrapped or attached to a bimetallic strip, with the strip being what causes the needle to move.

the only other option is the sensor floating in the tank. it could be getting stuck or the unit just needs replaced which would mean dropping the tank.
  • xtrmplayboyxtrmplayboy Member Posts: 2
    I have had a 2001 S10 2.2 for the past 3 or so years. I have not really liked the truck all that much do to little isuess that I would not see with some of the other vehicles that I have owned. But I recently have started to have a problem with the engine at acceleration. When the truck is at idle it will shudder a lil and you can hear a faint pop inside the engine. I will not assume anything....(Being that if I suggest something then you all will not be able to decide for your selfs what it could be). When I hit the accelerator the engine hesitates and bogs while it goes up in RPM. This problem gets worse the longer that I drive the truck. I am not sure about where the ideal point of rest is for the volt meter but, it sits at 12-13 volts while idle. The light are sort of dim some times when Im idle at a light at night. And the problem is progressive. Getting worse and worse each time i get in. I did have one time that the Check Engine light cam on once while i was going about 80 on the free way. I was in 5th gear. But I listened very closely and could hear the engine idling rough. Then i felt it jerking a lil. If anyone knows anything this could be it would be a burden lifted. I can not go to the dealership that my truck was sold to me at because they stole the crap out of my truck and i called the cops on them. So I am relying on you guess to let me know somthing.
    What diagnostic trouble code was retrieved after you saw the check engine light come on and took to a repair shop for service?
  • jpfjpf Member Posts: 496
    You need to bring the vehicle to a non-GM dealer mechanic who can give you a thorough analysis of what caused the overheating. It sounds like the dealer's service department was negligent. If you have evidence of negligence, then get yourself a lawyer and sue them. GM has lost enough customers and the threat of a lawsuit may get you the appropriate compensation. Good luck.
  • erickg8serickg8s Member Posts: 1
    i have a 1995 S-10 4x4 that has about 30k miles on rebuilt engine. I am having trouble with either the ignition or fuel delivery systems. I have Replaced the entire ignition system except the ecm. I have also replaced the fuel system except the injector s. My problem is when i take off from a light or stop sign, it coughs and dies, and sometimes driving steadily at about 60 mph it just shuts off. If i ease lightly on the throttle, it does ok, but if I have to get on the highway, it coughs and dies. Sometimes it starts right back up, and other times i have to use starting fluid. Occasionally it takes up to 20 min. to restart. I have had it timed. Any one who might know what may be the problem, please reply.
  • xtrmplayboyxtrmplayboy Member Posts: 2
    It did not bring back a code. I know that sounds weird. But the only thing I can say about tat is that the light for check engine did not stay on for very long. Maybe 2-3 sec. I have sense tried to make it happen again. With no prevail. I have an update though. My truck will not stutter when the volts are high. But performs tarribley when they are low. I work at an entry at a military base. During the day i bothered everyone with a chevy. Here is what I have figured out. It is not normal for my vehicle to be sitting at 11volts at idle.
  • zr2bmjzr2bmj Member Posts: 5
    I have a '97 Chevy S10 ZR2 - It has been constant trouble since I bought it used w/ 40,000k. The newest problem I have is, when I accelerate from a stop it moves slowly like I'm in a high gear. I eventually take off after about 10 sec of very slow movement and seems OK until about 55 or 60mph then the RPMs are high like it is not shifting to OD. I checked it for code - no code was returned, I expected code 1870. Transmission or something else? :confuse:
    Trans acting that bad and no codes, strange. Check for blown fuses, if none I would disconnect the electrical connector at the trans, in the harness end find pin E and check for 12 V with key on run, this is the power feed from the ignition switch to the trans. :)
  • jae5jae5 Member Posts: 1,206
    In terms of volts:

Battery itself: minimum 12.6V (6 plates, 2.1V per plate)
    While idling: 13.5 - 14.5V, depends on idling speed, if accessories are on or not

Here are a couple of quick and dirty battery-load tests you can do (better if you have a buddy help you but you do alone).

Hook a volt-ohm meter to the battery, take a reading. Then, take a reading with the engine idling. Next, crack the throttle (raise idle speed) to see if the voltage reading increases (it should). If it doesn't, battery is not being charged.

Follow the same procedures above, but instead of opening the throttle, leave at idle and put a load on the battery, like turn the headlights on, a/c on, and/or radio (this is where a buddy/budette comes in handy). See if the reading goes up or down. Reading may go down a little when the a/c compressor kicks on, but should recover really quick. Should even go up a little, as idle speed usually is increased a few hundred RPM when a load is placed on @ idle.

What does the volt gauge do when you're driving (assuming you have a gauge in the IP)? Does your batt light come on, or stay on longer than normal when starting? How is the cranking, slower each day? If you have a Delco battery with the small site-window in it, what color is the dot? Should be green.

I would look at the alternator connections, and take the alternator in an parts shop and have them test it, as well as the battery. Regulator could be bad. They will perform similar test as above. Many shops can do this, and will for free. If you're not mechanically-inclined, take it to a dealer or independent shop you can trust.
  • cchief22cchief22 Member Posts: 2
    working on a 2000 S10...problem that we are trying to solve is that when the brakes are applied the vehicle slows in a normal fashion no matter what speed we are traveling....BUT when it slows to lets say about 3-5 mph the ABS takes over and the pedal and front brakes pulsate as if it thought it was skidding...scary too....for my wife,LOL We were told that it is the speed sensor that was bad the we would have to replace it. we decided to replace both but noticed they were different lengths than original so ....we checked the depth and length of the new sensors and shimmed to the same clearance.....what is the correct clearance between the sensor (siemens brand) and the toothed internal rotor... we have a machine design firm and use sensors all the time and know they need to be realtively close .008 to .012 inches....OR was this mis -dianosed? thanks Chief
  • zr2machine01zr2machine01 Member Posts: 4
    What other problems have you had since you bought the truck? I bought my truck, an 01 z-R2 with 40k on it as well but its been great so far.
    Driver side wheel hub assembly ball joints -popping, loose - I almost lost the wheel this was the 1st thing on the first week I owned the truck, heater core - clogged Dex. coolant jelled; radiator; motor - it blew at 99k and I never "hot rodded" or "mudded"; altenator; water pump; transmission bell housing - broke. I have probably left something out but you get the jist of it.
    I took my truck to a trans. shop - They are running wire tests and I asked them about pin E and fuses. Thanks they are running the tests. The guys said it may not be the trans. What could cause the truck to go into self preservation mode? Check Engine Light on but no code? :confuse:
    Light on and no codes, something is not right, how many people have said no codes. If the cig fuse is blown, it will not power up diagnostics. :)
    2. I was there when the technician had it hooked up, it said no code found - he thought it was weird but seemed optimistic - he is not so optimistic today(neither am I). I will check the cig. port. Thanks for the feedback - I wish I would have known about this forum earlier.
    O'yeah in addition to my earlier reply - the 4whl dr. module went out. Ever seen that movie money pit - well money truck.
    the clanging sound you are heraring is piston slap .. due to the fact that gm used really short sides on there pistons in the 4.3 just run it it will be ok .. my dad has 290,000 miles on his and it has been clanging since day one
    when i hold the throttle at one place after i have leveled my speed off it surges ...the fuel pump is very loud both inside and outside of the truck ..it has lossed power since the day i bought it (used) you could snap it to wide open throttle and it would light up the tires even with a small load in it but now maybe in mudd it will spin..low take off power and laxy revs any ideas? Woodmanscott@hotmail.com
    Has anyone put a scanner on that engine, lots of good information in a scan.
    Example scan.

1-01-O2---------------CLOSED---CLOS-CLOS-CLOS----Cav
    2-03-LOAD VALUE-------36.4----22.7-41.9--32.1----21.5
    3-04-COOLANT TEMP-----194 F----195F-194F-195F----210F
    4-05-S/T FUEL TRIM----0.8%-----0.7-_2.4%-3.9-----0.0%
    5-06-L/T FUEL TRIM----0.7%-----0.8--0.0%-3.9-----1.5%
    6-07-MAP--------------15 IN.hg-10---18---14------10
    7-08-RPM--------------2214 RPM-899--1815-2387----625
    8-09-VEH SPEED--------60 MPH---0----48---65------0
    9-10-IGN TIMING-------ADV 34.5-15.5-29.0-36.0----12.5
    10-11-INTAKE AIR------77 F-----93F--95F--82F-----120F
    11-12-THROTTLE POS----12%------0%---13%--12%-----0%
    12-23-FUEL TANK PRESS-3.70"H20-0.40-3.40-3.20----0.20
    13-26-FUEL LEVEL------44%------97%--91%--92%-----60
    14-28-PURGE-----------100%-----100%-100%-100%----45
    15-33-INJECTOR PULSE--6MS------3MS--7MS--6MS-----3ms
    16-34-INJECTOR PULSE--7MS------3MS--7MS--6MS-----3ms
    17-37-A/F RATIO-------14.3-----14.3-14.3-14.3----14.6
    18-39-CAT CONV--------1068 F---663F-1020-1133----588
    19-40-KNOCK RETARD----0.0------0.0--0.0--0.0-----0.0
    20-43-AIR FLOW-LBS/MIN11.68 -2.47-10.62-11.32----1.41
    IAC steps -30
    The 5 reading match the RPM, even shows cat temp. :)
  • tommctommc Member Posts: 66
    What type of scanner do you have? Our dealer service has really been shabby and I'd like to be able to do this myself, not necessarily to save money, but to get it right without so much hassle - when the time comes.
    AutoXray, bought it 2002 for $275. Have never had to use on my stuff but on other peoples cars, figures uh.
    Upgraded it this year for CAN and online free updates. The price now is more but it has CAN, good enough for my vehicles.
    The scan I posted are from my Sonoma, it gives a good bench mark of a good running engine, it's even fun to play around with if you are into mechanics. :)
  • sonomaguysonomaguy Member Posts: 5
    I have a 1995 Sonoma with a 5 speed 2.2ltr in it and it's not a 4 wheel drive. I have had this truck since 1999, but a year ago the motor went out on it. In Feb of this year I had a new(no used)motor put in it. When I got it back it rain pretty good but now there seems to be a problem. When ever I start out from a stop or if I go to pass someone, the motor acts like it is either getting too much gas or not enough. It hesitates and spits & sputters. Once you get it up to speed it is ok or if you shift down to a lower gear it runs ok, but the lower gear will have to be lower than you should be in. I have had to do the lower gear thing to pass others or to go up a steep grade. It reminds me of a car that the choke is sticking in but this is all electronic. Is this the oxygen sensor? If not, what? :confuse:
  • kbjuankbjuan Member Posts: 2
  • kbjuankbjuan Member Posts: 2
    My son is looking at a good to fair condition s10 with a 4.3 liter vortec engine with an automatic trans.How do the abs brake systems and computers and automatic transmissions hold up on these trucks.Its been a town rig and the under engine area is clean.The seller wants 2500 with a few minor blemishes.Thanks for everyones time
    Kevin
    The computer will not communicate w/ transmission to scan. Replaced 2-3, 3-2 and PCM solenoids. Now it communicates and runs great. It is still a money pit that looks really good on the outside - it's a '97 and I still get complements - if they only knew..... Wonder what's next? Thank You for your advice and help - you saved my money. I heard of someone else who had the same prob. but only figured it out after they replaced the trans.
  • teagueteague Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know what size socket is required for this nut? I believe I have a bad wheel bearing and need to get this apart. Thanx
    Hey that's great, a lot of trans are replaced when they only need a repair, the chain shops always say you need a transmission. Sorry about your bad luck, I have a 99 4 cyl auto and no problems but regular maintenance, just turned over 50K, had since new. :)
  • zr2machine01zr2machine01 Member Posts: 4
    I'm not real sure about the abs brake systems and computers but one thing i have heard that is some what common for the s-10 is that the transmission will go out around 140,000 miles. Now dont get me wrong because i have also heard many a things about 4.3L s-10's going and going and going. My cousin had a this model in a '92 and he put 240,000 miles on it and the only thing they ever had to replace was the fuel pump. I personally think the biggest factor is how the truck was driven and treated in the past.
  • fullyshave95fullyshave95 Member Posts: 2
    Need help bad ive got ah 95 s10 with a 4.3 and ah 4l60e and i have a short circuit in the vechial speed scenor anybody know how to fix????? I only have like second gear ... :(
  • fullyshave95fullyshave95 Member Posts: 2
    short in the vechial speed scensor need help have no clue how to fix
  • freddymac33freddymac33 Member Posts: 1
    I am new to the truck seen. So I really would appreciate any help I can get. I am receiving this error message on my GMC Sonoma S-Series (1997).

Please help? My email is Cedney@gmail.com

Make GM Truck
    Year 1997
    Model S-Series
    Engine 2.2L (VIN 4)

Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) P0121
    DTC Definition: TPS/Pedal Position Sensor A CKT Range/Perf
    It usually means the throttle position sensor is dinked, if there are no wiring or connector problems. Here's how to test and replace it:

http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?ForwardPage=/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/18/b9/7a/09- 00823d8018b97a.jsp
  • rfortyrforty Member Posts: 1
    Same year S-10, same problem on the Converter and the recline handle. Just happened. A friend told me to change the converter myself. Just bolts on.
    I also have a driver side door leak probably due to a warped hinge. I;m just glad the thing runs O.K.

My Sympathies,
    Randy
  • majorkikassmajorkikass Member Posts: 3
    Someone else posted a message complaining of a similar problem but I haven't seen a response yet so I thought I'd post my own. My truck ( '97 S10 2wd,2.2L ) is new to me with 103,000 miles on it. Everything is perfect on it except that when I decelerate everything is normal until just before the stop (roughly 5mph), when the abs activates. The pedal vibrates and the pump makes its normal audible noise. There is no brake light on. Quality of brake doesn't seem to be reduced, but it is awfully annoying. It was suggested to me that the abs ecu could be bad, but I have not had it scanned as of yet. I don't like wasting money on things so I was wondering if anyone had any advise. Also, I have personally inspected and replaced all brakes, including the inspection of speed sensors and exciter rings.

Please Help,
    majorkikass
    Well, I might have already figured it out. We'll see!
    http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/t425519.html
    I have a '97 with same problem, I have looked everywhere I could think and I ran across this. Hope it helps, I havn't tried it on mine yet!
This discussion has been closed.