Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

MB M-Class Owners Accessories and Modifications

ml320hugomnjml320hugomnj Member Posts: 9
edited March 2014 in Mercedes-Benz
Has anyone found a "real" brush-guard; like one that will actually protect you in case you hit a deer ?

Comments

• derekyeuderekyeu Member Posts: 7
    I finally turned on my fog lamp switch in my ML. I installed a pair of H3 in the headlamp housing. Now I have a factory fog lamp for only $40. My dealer charged me half hour of labor to turn on a SWITCH! It probably takes them 5 minutes.

-derek
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    I don't know about you, but these are excessive, not to mention ugly! FWIW, one of the Australian ML owners hit a kangaroo at 110 km/hr and his dealer-installed brushguard prevented the vehicle from being severely damaged. Only the front bumper had to be replaced.

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket and Accessories message boards
  • mercaramercara Member Posts: 291
    Wonder if these have built-in winch mounts? That will be cool, finally ML320 is on it's way to become a true off-roader.
  • ml320hugomnjml320hugomnj Member Posts: 9
    Thanks Drew, Mercara !
    The Aussie solution looks terrible, I'll stay without a brushguard I guess. Thanks anyway.
  • bargamonbargamon Member Posts: 302
    Could you get the picture of the ML that hit the 'Roo? Pretty sick eh?
  • sandeckisandecki Member Posts: 29
    Should I go with Style II MB Original Equipment or German Cobra stainless steel guard? Or Manik? Or Waag? Thanks for any suggestions>?
  • biker5biker5 Member Posts: 199
    My opinion is to get the OEM style II... go to www.mbnz.org a fellow is complaining that the Manik he bought for his ML won't fit and he need to modify some area to make it look right...again get the OEM like I did. keep it original.
    Jim
  • cdiccdic Member Posts: 36
    Anyone got a lead on seat covers for the ML? I am particularly interested in rear seat covers in order to minimize the damage on account of the kids on long road trips. The MB site has some for the rear, but they look kinda like you can't use the seat belts(?) The MB site implies theirs is for usage with a dog, not kids.
    Just hate the thought of juice or chocolate donuts ground into the leather. It has already happened in Mom's mini-van.
    Biker5,
    Thanks for the news on the Manik brushguard. That is what I have on my wife's Suburban, but for the ML it didn't look right on the picture, hence my question for alternatives. (The aussie looked terrible, so I'm driving "bare"; hope the deer stay away).
    You are welcome I'm glad I can help..at least for advise. I have OEM type 1 on my 2k320. I want to keep it original,beside the manik or waag way to bulky as you look to ML.
    Has anyone found a kit or a way to install fog lights without the rallye/brushguard. I am interested in having powerful yellow fog lights low on the front (for real fog visibility, not for external looks) here in the US (NJ) ?
    I have looked under the plastic bumper cover and cannot see how to install them where they would be firm without cutting the plastic (which I will not do).
    Drew, old posts (message board/ref #) would be fine.
    You can mount foglamps in the openings at the base of the front bumper. However, those are the front brake cooling ducts, and I'm not sure if I'd want to obstruct them too much. I know that a few others have installed smaller foglamps so that it minimises the blockage of air there.

Since you mentioned that you would like larger foglamps, perhaps you will be interested in the below?

http://www.off-road.com/mbenz/DieterLights.jpg

Hope this helps!

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards

Drew,
    Thanks. THat is a lot more like what I want (if you really hit anything, either way the fog lights get destroyed, but you should be able to avoid hitting anything this way. Thanks again.
  • mark214mark214 Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know of a brand of remote control car starter that will work on the M class? My dealer said that MB doesn't make one, and the only place in town (St. Louis)that I have found who regularly installs them did not know of any that were compatible with the M class electronics.
  • ubruhlubruhl Member Posts: 1
    Looking for various accessories for our new ML320. Any suggestions for quality accessories?

John
    What are on your list? First thing you can do is pick up one of the MB accessories catalog and check what you want, then check the online accessory store to save some bucks, Online purchase is always cheaper than the dealer, even if you pay shipping...still cheaper. Pretty much all accessory came with the complete installations instruction so you don't need the dealer to have it installed. Thats if you are a backyard mechanic like me:-)For the mentime you can try WWW.performaceproducts.com or www.precisiosnauto.com they are one company but the second one have a lots of pic. on their site.
    hope this will help. Jim ML320 MY2000. I checked your profile and found out you are from Mission Viejo...I got mine at MB Laguna NIguel.
    I've seen a couple of MLs around my area sporting this Euro-spec rear deflector. Not sure where they're buying it from though. I finally managed to get a few shots of it while driving around in my neighbourhood after my tire rotation on the weekend. I don't really like how it looks though. Too boxy, and that huge cutout in the middle (which is for the raked European cellphone antenna) is rather ugly and non-functional for N.American-spec GPS/Cell antennas.

Drew
    Host

It's look too bulky . And its not look like a spoiler it look like a wind scooper :-))) IMHO
  • ahalkidisahalkidis Member Posts: 2
    Are mats for the third seat floor area available? Two local dealers say they aren't. Any help would be appreciated.
  • mercaramercara Member Posts: 291
    I bought a set of Weathertech mats which can be used with the third row of seats. I bought these from www.clairparts.com. If you don't get them there. Try www.weathertech.com
  • bejumabejuma Member Posts: 2
    Hi there;

I am looking to install a Hitch on my ML320 for bike carrying,
    Any directions? Advise? Does it need to be done at the dealer?
    Any price figures?

Thanks;

JCC
    Nope, If you want to save some bucks you can install it yourself. Find a U-haul rental place on your area and ask for Draw-tite hitch it will cost you around $150.00, but check around maybe you can find some place that are cheaper. I got mine for 96 bucks here at SOcal. You will be surprise that you can do it.Or visit WWW.Drawtite.com.
  • hilldhilld Member Posts: 5
    While you might do ok with the aftermarket hitch, there are several advantages with purchasing the OEM version from a dealer, I would suggest clairparts.com (cheaper ~$225.00). One is the warranty issue, if the part is installed on your car still under warranty, the aftermarket parts (original accessories) carry the same warranty as the car. In addition, if there is a structural problem, such as a tweaked frame from towing a heavy load, it should be covered under warranty. Third is that the people at U-haul most of the time don't have a clue of what they are doing. They have air tools and will just hammer away until the parts fit. Fourth is that installation takes less than an our and only a few basic tools (sockets, hammer, screwdrivers). Last but not least is that the factory hitch kit comes with the wiring adapter to convert separate turn signals to trailer type turn/stop in a single light. This adapter plugs directly into the factory wiring harness without any hacking/cutting of wires and includes a flat 6 receptacle that mounts under the bumper. It is of course your choice, but it is easy to install and of good quality.

One last recommendation, purchase a locking pin, it will let you hold on to your bike rack or stinger just a little longer.
  • bejumabejuma Member Posts: 2
    Thanks all who answered.
    Instructions are here. It's a less fancy hitch than the MB OEM hitch, but it is less expensive.:

http://www.off-road.com/mbenz/member.html

Do a browser keyword search (Ctrl-F) for "Draw-Tite".

Clairparts.com sells the MB OEM trailer hitch for $250:
    http://www.clairparts.com/shop/accessories.cfm?do=list&&cat_id=241

Drew
    Host
  • sduff1sduff1 Member Posts: 11
    Where can I find cup holders for my 3rd seat passengers........
  • thirayuththirayuth Member Posts: 3
    I have 01ml320 and would like to change headlamp to 02 model. Is it possible to do so? Do I have to change any parts?
  • acfanacfan Member Posts: 2
    I am planning to upgrade the speakers on my 1999 ML320 that has standard factory (non-Bose) radio/tape receiver. Does anyone know the amplifier power rating (watts) of this unit?

I am looking into getting MB Quarts speakers which require at least 40-50 watts/channel. If the power is low, I have to consider getting an amplifier or getting other speakers.

Thanks.
  • acfanacfan Member Posts: 2
    An addition to my question on Message 29:

Does the standard radio head unit on the 1999 ML320 has a pre-out for external amp connection?
  • tony116tony116 Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking to get an ML 320 - but I don't see anything anywhere about tow packages. I assume that since they rate the towing capacity at 5000 pounds - someone, somewhere must have actually towed something. What did they use for a hitch?
  • pandaipippandaipip Member Posts: 2
    Doese anyone knwo where can I order the Stainless Grill Guard and step bar for the 2002 ML 320. I try to order from Clairparts.com i am not sure it is going to fit on my 2002 ML. Does anyone order it and install it perfectly? Thankz...
  • pooliopoolio Member Posts: 18
    Use my ML for towing Two ATV'S weight 800lbs apiece ,Plus trailer= about 2500lbs.Had installed the stock M/B hitch.Couldn't be more pleased.No! problems tows great.Stick with the M/B hitch.Then you'll have no problems.
  • mlevinedcmlevinedc Member Posts: 45
    Hello all, it's been quite a while since I've posted here. It's time for new tires (275/55 17) on our 2000 ML430. We've put on 33,000 miles and the fron are within a few 1/16ths of showing the wear bars. So before the winter, I'd like to get new tires. The vehicle is leased and we have another 2 years to go. Best price I've seen on the Dunlop Grandtrek's is 101ea plus shipping. Has anyone found an aftermarket tire better? cheaper? Suggestions? If I get the new tires now, I can always hold on to the OEMs and give Mercedes the truck back with the originals.
  • bertram60bertram60 Member Posts: 113
    are what I replaced the Grandtrek's with. They were a little more $ (from Tirerack, the cheapest prices around) but are 1000% better from a ride and wet road standpoint. As I'm in FL snow/ice is not an issue, but I believe they are highly rated. They were definitely worth the extra money just in the way they made the truck handle. They have none of the dead-on center feel that the Grandtreks did, much more of a performance feel with excellent wet road traction.
  • stallonestallone Member Posts: 4
    this for pandaipip ijust got the side step for my ml 320 2002 and they are stainless i got my from a store in ny i dont know where u are i put them on my self
  • zfrankzfrank Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2001 ML 320. I want to buy and install a 6-disc CD Changer.(all I have is in-dash am/fm/cassette). I have seen many for sale on Ebay at about half the dealer cost. If I buy off of Ebay , can I install the changer myself, and if so what if any problems should I anticipate? Local dealer advises against my installation because of fiber optic cable. Vehicle is pre-wired for CD. Is this a real problem or is it just a plug into the changer? I would appreciate any help/advise. Thank you.
  • cobra801cobra801 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2000 ML430 purchased new. I had a 8-disc CD Changer installed by Autotoys. It works wonderfully well with the factory head (radio). Your 2001 320 may need additional hardware but Autotoys should be able to accommodate you. Their website is www.autotoys.com.
  • grahame2grahame2 Member Posts: 5
    I need some new tires for my 99 ml320. The originals are by Dunlap. Any suggestions for the replacements??
  • foresiderforesider Member Posts: 1
    I realize there are more important things in life BUT I have lost my black on black M-Class hat. It was treasured. Does anyone know where I might be able to find some of the "old" M-Class gear?
  • lgspencelgspence Member Posts: 15
    Hi, I just purchased an 03 ML320 and have a couple of questions: 1) the daytime driving lights, I guess from the previous posts, these are not enabled by default. to turn these on I must a) buy the bulbs and b)have the dealer "turn-on" this option? I'm getting the phone installed by the dealer next week. Anyone out there have any advice on the Nav system...is it worth the money? Is there a less expensive way to get it (I've seen some ads on eBay for the DVD piece that installs behind the LCD screen). Thanks in advance.
  • kiiwiikiiwii Member Posts: 318
    Once you install the NAV into the MCS (screen), you need to bring your car to the dealer to version code (to make the system "talk"). It's a 5 min job, but the dealer will charge you 1 - 2 hrs. Make sure you compare the price before you version code the system.

PS, it's very easy to install the NAV into the MCS. It will take you about 10-20 min. No need to cut wires or drill holes. It's all plug in and play. Dealer will probably charge you several hours for the install.
  • lgspencelgspence Member Posts: 15
    Kiiwii,
    Did you install yourself? Which year was your ML? Where did you buy the NAV? (eBay?) Was is a lot less expensive than from MB? I know what MCS is (the screen), but what does MCS stand for?
    THx.
  • chigirl2chigirl2 Member Posts: 4
    hi. just curious, is there such thing as thick plastic/rubber strips that can be used on the bumpers to protect from light collision? i'm picking up my ml350 soon, and since i'm not used to suvs yet, i'm kinda afraid that i would scratch it or something... thanks!
  • mvhansonmvhanson Member Posts: 14
    Are the Xenon lights worth the extra $800?
    Looking at several 2003 ML 320. Some have Xenon but wonder about the value versus cost?
    Thanks mvhanson
  • chumsaechumsae Member Posts: 61
    Compared MB, Yakima and Thule and decided on the latter.
    - couldn't get any good info on the MB rack
      but I believe it's a Thule. The basic MB rack
      (consisting of cross bars and connectors to
       the MB side rails) is listed at $249.
    - the Thule basic rack is listed at $199 with
      4 lock cylinders.
    - Yakima makes a round cross bar system that
       looks to be decent quality and a little cheaper
       than Thule, but I think Thule looks better,
       at least on an ML.
    - I bought Thule from Carlos Binns in
      Colorado, carlitosway83@attbi.com

754xt (=cross bars, connectors, 4 locks)
       list $199 Carlo's price $155

726 Pull Top (holds 6 prs skis or 4 snowboards
        or any combination like 3 prs skis and 2
        snowbaords)
        list $159 Carlo's price $118

2 lock cylinders for the 726 were $17

870 Fairing (to keep down wind noise)
        list $45 Carlo's price $37

The Pull Top, as the name suggests, allows you to slide the ski carrier out over the side of the ML to make loading/unloading easier (and it helps keep your clothes cleaner.)

The fairing does a nice job of quieting down the
    wind noise to a reasonable level. It's not perfect but we find our ML rack to be much quieter than our other Thule system, without fairing, on a Saab.
    '02 Bi-xenon headlight is the best mod i did to my 2000
    ML320 it worth every penny I spent. I feel safe at night ,the light beam pattern is so wide and clear, purchase it for $1,300.00.
  • mvhansonmvhanson Member Posts: 14
    biker5
    Thanks, I picked up my 03-ML320 on Sat the 1st. I took to heart the recommendations and went with the one with bi-xenon's. So far have not driven out on the open road at night, but from what I can tell in town at night, I will like them. It was nice to get back to the ML after driving a rental Xterra.
    mvhanson
  • cobra801cobra801 Member Posts: 4
    I own a 2000 ML430. I am considering getting another remote (original ML but for another vehicle) from a friend. Does anyone know how to program/reprogram this remote? I have been told that this cannot be done since all remotes are 'hardcoded' at the factory. (Same message - #124 of Meet the Members.)
  • anau7anau7 Member Posts: 1
    Mercedes-Benz M-Class Accessories for Sale:
    (From a 2000 ML 320)

6-Disc CD Changer with Skip Proof Memory $699.00 => Used $320

Basic Carrier - Roof Mounted $286
    + Cargo Container $670 = $956 => Used $440

I will ship the CD Changer anywhere in North America + ($20 shipping)

The Carrier and Cargo Container need to be picked up in Bay Area, CA (not sure how to deliver?)

Please email me for any questions: anau7@yahoo.com
  • drewnianydrewniany Member Posts: 2

I have a '99 ML 320 and I would like to install the original in dash phone unit. From reading my Mercedes Owners manual as well as the original car brochure I understand, that every M-Class is factory prepared for portable cell phone and In-dash control unit system. Here are my questions:

How difficult is to install the unit? Has anyone done it?
    Does the installation has to be performed by Mercedes dealer in order to have the phone integrated with the radio and the sound system or anything else I am not aware of?
    How do I activate the phone since I already have a local service provider? Is this done by a dealer and do I have an additional fee for the service?
    I also understand that I need an additional hand held unit needed to program the In-dash unit in my car. What else I need to purchase in order to have this unit fully operational?

I appreciate your assistance,
    Sincerely,
    Richard S. Mleczko
This discussion has been closed.