Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz C-Class: Accessories & Modifications

hoppyenghoppyeng Member Posts: 25
edited March 2014 in Mercedes-Benz
I want to replace the current shift knob with an all wooden one for the C320. Does anyone know if they made one for the C320? If so, where to buy it?

Comments

• alanmakcaalanmakca Member Posts: 12
    Has anyone ever purchased/installed clear corner lights for the C from www.procarparts.com? I got whacked on the highway by large pebble and now have a nice hole in my driver's side signal lense. The dealer wants C$110 for ONE lense assembly. procarparts is selling a PAIR of the clear lights for about US$32.

Are these corner lights for real? Do they fit properly? Quality?
  • karklinkarklin Member Posts: 15
    I have my C-320 for 5 weeks now.Several problems
    water in the trunk and water inside the fog lights.
    While the quality of American cars is improving Mercedes is going down hill,what a shame.
    This is my first Benz I traded a 1999 BMW 528i
    big mistake. Thanks for listening
  • paul_ppaul_p Member Posts: 271
    Looking for info on a compatible CD changer for my y2k C230k. Has anyone else out there obtained one from any other source than MB i.e, Crutchfield's? Would another manufacturer's unit even be compatible or advisable? I would not want to use anything but proper Mercedes parts, but here in the UK I see MB uses other manufacturers' radios and CD changers. I can't check local prices back in the US at the moment, but know my dealership's units must be pretty steep. Can anyone offer advice?
  • ny74ny74 Member Posts: 15
    As far as I know, only cd changer that is compatible for Y2k C230K is Becker 6 CD changer. If your head unit is ALPINE, then random function wouldn't work as I have heard from other posters.

Or you can purchase OEM MB 6 CD Changers from the following vendors in US. One is from www.clairparts.com and the other is www.autoclass.net.

Or try ebay, but I would not recommend because the quality of the cd changer you would get is some what unknown, unless you can inspect the changer before you bid.
    Ny74, that is good information!

The only issue I see is that because it is an electrical item, it is only waranteed until installation - so if for some reason you were to get a bum unit, you would never know it. Worse, you couldn't prove it was inoperative when you received it, and couldn't return it!

For this reason I may spend the extra $ and buy from the dealer - *ouch* - but with these sites at least I have some ammo to support a better deal, if possible. ;-) Thanks!

- Paul
  • tengu3tengu3 Member Posts: 3
    Sorry if this has been discussed many times, I have several CD changer questions for MB C320 (2001).
    1) any difference between OEM CD changer, and the one that I will be getting from a MB dealer?
    2) do I need to buy the mounting kit and cable in additional to the CD changer?
    3) my dealer charge me $220 for installation. Can I have it installed elsewhere, or must it be a MB dealer?
  • bghararibgharari Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone heard about the possibility of installing Parktronic themselves on the new C-Class sedans? After all, the impact strips containing the sensors (1 long one for the rear bumper & 2 smaller ones for the front) are available in Europe along with the readout display
    mounted on the front dash (over the center speaker
    woofer). I think that this way is far superior to purchasing an aftermarket version.
    I would love to hear some feedback from anyone who knows how to obtain these parts. I suspect that it's a fairly simple system.
  • hocky1hocky1 Member Posts: 13
    Has anyone ever had this installed in their Merc C180? If so, please let me know if your car is now performing better and up to expectations and the specs promised by the dealer. I have a C180 with a 1.8 litre engine which really struggles when I am carrying 3 or 4 passengers , especially when I have the aircon switched on in Summer or when driving in hilly or undulating areas. I should have bought a C220 or a C280 and may not have had this problem. The area where I live is hilly while the rest of this city is flatter.
  • angell3angell3 Member Posts: 1
    The C class has the fiber optic wiring in the dash and the fiber optic connectors so the cd changer must be a MB. I have found it on the web for 499.00 (It is the Mercedes Benz model) you need a bracket mounting kit which Mercedes Benz sells for 90.00 and they charge 120.00 for installation. This comes with easy as 1-2-3 instructions... one wire is in the trunk, an orange one and the others in the glovebox. This site has a strange name but visit it...@ http://www.partydown.com/cdchanger/mercedesbenz.html You will see it and they have an 800 number also and will answer any questions you may have. They also have money back guarantee. Let me know what you think. You don't want to have this done any other way, you would have to tune to a radio station to use your CD changer... or a separate remote. You would also experience some distortion. This is the best you can do.
  • n_and_mn_and_m Member Posts: 1
    We are currently considering replacing our '96 SAAB 900S, after a sting of dealership induced reliability problems, and recently test drove the MB C230. It was one of the more comfortable cars we've tested and was both fun to drive and has the cargo space that we occasionally need. The price is also in the right range. Thing is though, we like to cycle. Unlike BMW or SAAB, MB didn't seem to have any mounting options for bicycle's, surprising since I believe they are targeting this vehicle to a younger more active crowd. Here are my questions:
    1. Is anyone aware of a bicycle carrying option for the C230 ?
    2. What level of discount is available on this vehicle in Canada ? (I have read about big bucks in the US)
    3. Is it worthwhile considering the "demo" units, or is this just asking for trouble ? (I'm a little concerned about reliability based on some of the other postings)
  • bpmbbpmb Member Posts: 2
    I am interested in installing a navigation system in a 2000 C230 sport. Has anyone had any experience with this type of aftermarket install? I would appreciate navigation system recommendations and mounting options. Thanks.
  • rp2000rp2000 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2000 C-230 sport and thinking of a power chip, does anyone have any info on performance and brand name that they went with..
    rp,

I also have a 2000 C-230 Sport but have not considered a chip. I would be intersted in your findings.

- Paul
  • ecnnrdecnnrd Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 C230 Sport and I too am interested of any chip info you find.
  • valonvalon Member Posts: 22
    hi everyone
    you can find a nice upgrade that will raise hp of the mb c class for 12-17 hp at www.renntechmercedes.com they have a big line of products
  • 308tw308tw Member Posts: 2
    I have been searching all over the place for engine chip info for my C Class. Thanks for the advice.
  • iluvbenzoiluvbenzo Member Posts: 1
    Hey guys I am new to this,but this seems like the right place to have all my questions answered about my Mercedes.I have a 2003 c230 sport sedan and wanted to purchase and install the bi-xenon headlights.I know I shouldve purchased them with the car, but at the time, the dealers price for them ($1000), was a bit too pricey.So now I've been calling different dealers and the cheapest price I can find them for is $950 w/o installation.It seems that no one wants to do the installation since they told me its alot harder to install than it seems. If anyone knows where I can purchase and install them in the same place or has the xenon lights on thier car already, let me know if its worth it. By the way I live in Queens, N.Y. Thanks everyone.
  • husky11husky11 Member Posts: 53
    I can't recommend a place to have xenon headlights installed on your car. But, I can describe my experience with xenon to you. They are outstanding! I had a 1999 C280 that had the xenon lights - factory installed. Drove the car for five years. It was astonishing to see the difference from the halogen package. I first noticed it while driving on a six lane freeway. I could see (from the middle of the three lanes)the full width of the road - from the far left clear over to the far right side (i.e. the emergency lane). That is the equivelent of five lanes! That was only on low beam.

Traded in the '99 C280 in Sept.'03 for a M-B C240 with 4Matic. The new car is great. But, I wish the car had the xenon lights. You will like them if you install them on your car. Guaranteed.
  • optimaoptima Member Posts: 6
    I just purchased a 99 230K for my extra car. It came with an AM-FM radio. I would like to change it out for a AM-FM casette or AM-FM CD changer. Local big stores (circuit city, best buys) seem very hesistant to offer anything. The MB dealer will change it for 2 grand. I have read about fiber optic wiring being a problem, but I do not need the six CD changer, just an in-dash changer (or cassete) with radio. Does anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks,
  • arcomomarcomom Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2003 c230 Kompressor Coupe that has the standard radio (awful reception) and a 6-disk changer in the glove box. Can anyone give me opinions on Sirius satellite radio? If you have it, did you get it new with the car or was your retrofitted? And was it ridiculously expensive? I've been afraid even to call the dealer (2 hours away) to ask. But the reception has got to be better than I have now. Any direction would be appreciated!
  • hocky1hocky1 Member Posts: 13
    I have been looking for this for a long time and all over the world. Is this available in the USA? Its normally a hard clear plastic or acrylic sheet moulded into the shape of the front of the bonnet and clipped on with plastic clips or stainless steel clips with screws and a nuts. My 1997 C180 has a few stonechips and I want to stop this chipping. A dark tinted protector will look fantastic on my midnight blue car, but subsequent hits from stones will show up more easily than a clear one. Comments are welcome. My C180 has the same chassis as the bigger engined models in the US. The bonnet was the same from the initial 1994 to the 1999 models I think. If anyone or company can make one for me and send it to me in Melbourne, Australia for a cheap price please contact me. My email is johnshtan@hotmail.com. I have 2 sets of the 3M stick-on adhesive clear film and have doubts about being able to handle the tracing on the curvy surface and cutting it out and installing it on by the wet method. I feel the clip-ons are a sure way out of this dilemma. Thank you all.
  • haycarhaycar Member Posts: 5
    I just bought a 2001 C320 with the hands free cell phone kit in it. I believe it's for timeport phones. Has anyone converted this to a modern phone or just to the Moto V60i?
  • myopinionmyopinion Member Posts: 11
    try this.. there are also many other variations from other companies

http://www.clearbra.net/
  • myopinionmyopinion Member Posts: 11
    Does anyone know where I can get a performance chip for the current C-class or reprogrammed?

I am especially interested in removing the speed governor.
  • mbz66mbz66 Member Posts: 9
    Hi All,
    The original rear wheels of my C230 Sport Sedan (2004) are of 8.5 X 17 X ET34.
    Due to accident, I looked for a replacement and found a wheel of 8.5 X 17 X ET30.
    I'd appreciate help with answers for the following questions.
    What is the meaning of ET34 versus ET30?
    Is it OK to replace the ET34 with ET30 wheel, although the first two numbers (8.5 X 17) match?
    Many Thanks.
  • alf9574alf9574 Member Posts: 1
    DId you ever get a reply to this? I am also interested in getting this done. I have heard many conflicting stories. Can anyone advise
  • black280black280 Member Posts: 5
    I installed an XM Satellite Radio and I installed it in the center console/armrest on the top shelf for theft reasons, I took out the analog cellphone. I then ran the wires down through the hole in the back and on throught the bottom corner, and around the seats and between the seats then around the corner. Then through the armrest in the back and on out through the trunk, and mount the antennae on the roof and run the wire snug behind the rain guard on the window and then mounted it on the roof. I hope this helps. It is alot easier then it sounds.
  • bob_grahambob_graham Member Posts: 63
    I think I can help. 2004 Models and newer were pre-wired for Sirius satellite radio. I have both a 2004 C240 4Matic and just bought a 2005 C240 4Matic.The 2004 has the satellite radio. It was added at the dealer. The 2005 radio is on national back order and well be installed by the dealer when it arrives. Cost is about $800 installed and includes a 1 year subscription. The unit is added behind the radio in the dash and an antenna is added to either the rear deck lid or just in front of the Tele-Aid antenna. As far as I know you cannot add the Mercedes satellite unit to pre 2004 units since the fiber optic connection and software was not available. Look in your owners manual I think it will caution you about adding to the existing system. This is because all devices like the CD changer is fiber optic connected.

So if you have a 2003 you must try the aftermarket. Try a really good sound shop or Crutchfield on line, not Circuit City or Best Buy.

Hope this helps.
    An update on satellite radio

Mercedes has a new rear deck ant that is much smaller than the "hump" version that goes on the trunk deck lid. You can order thru the dealer and they come pre-painted to match the car.
    I have a 2004 and a 2005 C240 4Matic

Has anyone tried using the AUX option. On the 2005 C I have the upgraded harmon/kardon audio system. There is an AUX cable metioned in the book and I'm wondering if this is what you use to interface an IPOD.

Also, on the 2005 C is the harmon/kardon logo only on the left rear speaker? Does the BASS response seem a little weak? Seems like our 2004 with the standard stereo has much better BASS response. Is the "surround" option only found on the upgraded stereo in the 05? The 05 has terrible radio reception. The dealer is replacing the AMP and installing the satellite radio on Monday. Maybe this is why the BASS is so weak.

Has anyone replaced the front light assemblies on a 2004. I really like the look of the clear lens on the 05.

Thanks in advance.
  • hyemooghyemoog Member Posts: 2
    Hi Bob,

I can't provide you with any answers to your questions, but I was wondering if maybe you have some answers for me. I recently got a C240 4 Matic (this is my fourth C class car) and I have to say the standard stereo system is poor sub-standard compared to previous models.

Can you receommend anything for upgrading? Where do you go? To a MB dealership or outside stereo provider?

Thank you, best of luck.

Regards,
    Linda
    NJ
  • hyemooghyemoog Member Posts: 2
    Hi there I saw this posted message about someone saying theyinstalled XM satellite in what I assume is a Mercedes....can you help me with some advice?

I recently leased a new 2005 C240 4 Matic, which came with Sirius satellite radio. I really want to switch to XM, but is this possible and is it more trouble than its worth?

I have to say Mercedes has certainly cut corners on the quality of their standard stereo systems. I'm not happy with the quality of the one the car came with. When I switch from AM to FM or from radio to CD and back to radio the volume is inconsistant and blarring. CHEAP!

Please advise....

Linda
    NJ
  • jamesbond1jamesbond1 Member Posts: 7
    I had upgrade the front lights for clear lens, I got it in ebay for $650, and my car looks great I don't understand how come mercedes kept this ugly fashion lights until 2004. My advice get it and upgrade your car.
    I'm sorry about the late reply. Yes the 2005 audio as not as good as the 2004 and earlier systems. The base earlier ones were Alpine systems like I have in my 2004. The 04 sounds as good if not better then our new 05 that has the upgraded Harmon Kardon.

The dealer will be real expensive. I would go to an high end audio shop and see about adding an amp setup and some new Alpine Speakers. Try the speakers first. Also, you could call Cruthfield. Maybe they can help.
    HELP!

I have a 04 C240 4matic. Currently with 205/55-16 and stock rims. The dealer had the car for a week. Got it back went to have the tires replaced and found out that someone bent a rim which causes a shimmy at 60MPH. So I will replace the rims or upgrade both the tires and rims.

I have found an OE Performance rim that looks like the E class rim. It comes in 16" and 17". Has anyone had any experience with this rim product? It is the OE performance 300M E class.

I will either have the 16" with Michelin Pilot Exalto AS 225/50R - 16

or

17" with Michelin Pilot Exalto AS 225/45R - 17

Anyone got any other ideas? I do not want the car to look too extreme. I would like to stay with the 16" size.

Thanks in advance......
  • spaymentspayment Member Posts: 1
    Anybody need a Thule roof rack for their C? Mine is for sale on eBay... Works great. Great for hauling surfboards, kayaks, bikes or just about anything else you can think of. This set up lists for $232 from Thule... but you can get mine less the depreciation... don't pay retail!

Check it out!
    C220 Thule Roof rack, Item number: 7193512636
    thx!
  • blusk3660blusk3660 Member Posts: 1
    I am trying to retro fit sat radio to an '04 c-class with the standard radio/sound system. i understand that i will need to replace the standard unit with the Comand Nav unit but that seems a little expensive from the dealer. also, there appear to be many different Comand Nav units available so which to buy is a question. Do you have any ideas? Thanks for the help. BL.
  • mb1733mb1733 Member Posts: 1
    I know it's been a while since your post - but I recently bought a Benz and I'm trying to figure out how to install my XM.
    Did you have XM installed on another car before installing it in your Benz?
    The dealership cannot help me b/c of their contract with Sirius (ugh!). I'm wondering if the BlitzSafe adapter I used to wire the XM through the radio for my BMW will work for the Benz. Since I already have the receiver and adapter, I was hoping to just use the same equipment...

Any help would be appreciated!!!
    Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.