Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

MINI Cooper

Comments

• rickroverrickrover Member Posts: 601
    I think the MINI could be a good first car, a base Cooper isn't that expensive, I do have a couple of reservations about it though. I'd wait until crash test scores come out on it. I'm confident the MINI will score really well, but I'd wait until they actually test it. The one area that gives me pause is the back seat - I wouldn't want to be sitting back there in a rear ender. Those rear headrests are a few inches away from that back window which is a few inches away from the rear bumper - not much crumple room at all. I'm looking forward to see an insurance institute crash test on the MINI.
  • hpulley4hpulley4 Member Posts: 591
    Who does rear crash tests? I can't remember seeing any, just front and side impact results.

Most rear enders are much lower speed (combined speed) than front enders as you're both going the same direction. And there is a fair amount of frame back there and a good solid bumper. That and the car hitting you is usually damaged worse since they have larger crumple zones at the front unless it is a '70s era Volvo or Monte Carlo. Plus, there are real head restraints so whiplash should be better than in cars with no head restraints, which is still most cars these days, surprisingly.

Still, I wouldn't want to be rear ended by a full-size truck in any car. Recently here a poor guy in a 1988 Eagle sedan was squashed between two transport trucks and obviously didn't survive. Note to self: avoid being between two transports and go to the shoulder if needed.
  • revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    You're welcome!

Revka

Host

Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards

• pablo_lpablo_l Member Posts: 491
    ...I was a big fan of the Mini long before it came out. I was among the first to order one, alas my spec meant that I had to be kept waiting...

But 2 things happened: from the very beginning, the attitude of the BMW sales staff does not translate well to Minis. Advice: it's a hot car *now*, but lose the Beemer arrogance - it is a small, cheap car after all. Even though they have had my money forever, every time I went by the dealer to see whether possibly I could finally get a good test ride they kept doing other stuff until I simply told them that no, it'd be another day.

Alas, one is starting to see them more and more, the novelty effect is wearing off. I predict the initial sales attitude will have a terrible impact on the Mini's success in the US. It's certainly not fun to deal with the sales staff. That's one nail in the coffin of "fun", "different" and "young".

The appeal the car had has worn off due to the association with that sales environment. BMW NA, take note. You have a wonderful product, but long term that is never enough. People buy from people, and this is not the way to promote brand loyalty.
  • 5port5port Member Posts: 395
    In the September 23 issue of Autoweek there is an article about a woman that lost control of her Mini while avoiding a deer and went head-on into a tree. It was (supposedly) the first air-bag deployment of a Cooper S in the US. Tree falls on top of the car after the hit and the driver walks away with only a burn from the airbag. I cant post a direct link (edmunds). If you go to :

<http://www.autoweek.com>

In the search engine on the top left put in "Mini Meets Tree" without the quotes. Enjoy.

• saturnfreak01saturnfreak01 Member Posts: 134
    I understand your way of thinking completely, I can't stand it when I visit a dealership and am met with such judgement/rude/attitude. I have been to numerous Honda and Toyota dealerships that conduct business in this pathetic and innapropriate manner.

That is the main reason why I am on my second Saturn, for they have always treated me very, very well. They are consistently rated at the top of the customer sales/ and service satisfaction index , of which I have seen first hand. www.jdpower.com

If you truly like the Mini, I would suggest visiting another dealership who knows how to approach and satisfy a potential customer, otherwise, there are many great cars around the $20,000 dollar range.. Happy Hunting
  • drivinisfundrivinisfun Member Posts: 372
    Are you in Florida?
    Bay Area, CA. I won't go into dealer specifics. The Mini actually would be a 4th car - strictly for kicks and fuin, and the dealer has managed to get me to the point where I simply am not excited about it. Great car - no doubt one of the best designs to come out in a while. Unfortunately, great products seem to come along with arrogant, complacent salespeople these days. It'll come back to haunt BMW eventually. Always does.
    I had the exact same experience at my MINI dealer in Florida. I put a $1k refundable deposit down a year and a half before the MINI launch. I was 17 on the waiting list. When the dealer finally opened I transferred to 14 on the S list. I won't bore with details but the arrogance of the MINI dealer totally turned me off so I got my deposit back and leased a GTI for a couple of years. I bought an X5 last year from the MINI dealers BMW store - no real problems there, but the MINI dealer is another story. I went back with a friend a couple weeks ago, they had 7 S' available for immediate delivery and bunch of regular MINI's in the parking lot - didn't bother to count. He ended up with an 03 GTI - all the cheap silver painted plastic in the interior and the overdone exterior styling turned him off. To each his own, I'll revisit MINI S when the lease is up on my GTI in a little over a year as well has the Golf V which will be out then.

As far as crash tests go, I'd expect the front and side of a MINI to be acceptable in a crash. But what about the rear? there is no crush room back there, your rear passengers head is a few inches from the rear window which is a few inches from the rear bumper. There is next to nothing between the back seat and the front bumper of another car plowing into the back of the MINI. My GTI has between 2 and 3 Feet behind the back seat - not a lot of space but way more than a few inches.

Someone tests rear crashes because I read that a VW New Beetle rates third behind Volvo and Saab's active head restraints for safety in a rear ender. I'll do a search and see if I can find it. I want to see some actual crash tests on the MINI, I'm sure the insurance institute will be crash testing it soon, they don't test rear enders.
    Lauderdale MINI.

Buy your next MINI from them. No mandatory packages, no BS, strict MSRP pricing and configure your MINI anyway you want it to be (Stock or loaded, it doesn't matter). Excellent people, professional and curteous treatment makes this dealer the best MINI dealership operation in South Florida. Very happy with them and highly recommend them. See Larry Bonito or Crystal Neagle or any other member of the terrific Lauderdale MINI staff.

Thinking about getting a second MINI and it will be from Lauderdale MINI.
    I have never seen tests conducted for rear enders at least not from official sources such as NHTSA, IIHS or NCAP. I think some here are under estimating the MINI's build quality and structural rigidity. It is a small car but constructed like a larger vehicle. Its torsional rigidity is 50% more than of the current BMW 3 series (E46) platform.

The dynamics of rear enders are different from frontal or side crashes. There are many variables such as vehicle size, weight, speed, etc.

The current VW IV platform doesn't have very impressive safety stats with the exception of the more rigid Beetle.

I generally think highly of the current Jetta/Golf/Beetle (Except for their ever present and teething quality control issues) and find them to be very competitive cars but looking and feeling pretty outdated already...solid rear axle? Softly sprung stock suspension? Quality problems that VW still hasn't been able to sort out in 5 years of production? I only hope the upcoming V platform will address the shortcomings of the current IV foundation. I have seen sketches of the upcoming V Golf and looks like a 3 door minivan...yikes!

Many ex-Golf and Jetta owners are making the switch to the MINI. The Golf is a terrific car when it is chipped and mods are added, otherwise it is a German economy car tuned for American tastes in terms of ride and handling right out of the box.

No VW product can ever match the MINI driving and ownership experience. The MINI is not just a car but a lifestyle not meant for everyone.

Enjoy and happy motoring!
  • gotenks243gotenks243 Member Posts: 116
    There's nothing wrong with the Golf/Jetta IV saftey stats. IIHS still gave them the highest rating, Good, even if behind the New Beetle. NHTSA rates the Jetta (Golf) 5-stars in frontal impacts, 4-stars for front passengers in side impacts, and 4-stars for rear passengers in side impacts. The New Beetle got 4-stars for front and 5/3 for side. I don't see how that amounts to not "very impressive safety stats."

I definitely understand fears about safety in a rear-ender. A couple years ago, the abnormally heavy traffic on the freeway on the morning commute came to a gradual stop. We were at a stop for at least 10 seconds already, when all of a sudden, BAM! The Buick behind us, for whatever unknown reason, didn't even noticed that traffic was stopped up ahead of him and bashed into us probably somewhere between 30 and 40 miles per hour. I don't think he even had a foot on the brake when contact occured. The trunk of my beloved white '90 Accord EX Coupe was crushed like an accordion, and the frame got it bad enough that the car was totalled.

Fortunately, in the front seat, I came out only a little sore. There's an unrelated other reason I would not want to have been in the back seat in that accident, but fortunately had I or anyone else been there, there was enough sheetmetal between the point of impact and the rear seat that a rear seat occupant shouldn't have been in too much danger. But in a Mini, there's hardly any space between the hatch and the rear seat. I know BMW put a lot of effort into engineering the safety of the car and the rigidity, but it has to crumple somewhere, right? What about a hypothetical baby in the back seat?

It is certainly an area of concern, at least if you're planning to make use of the rear seat.

Mike
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    Just so you know, the Golf platform does not use a solid rear axle. It has never been a solid rear axle since the era of the Rabbit. It is considered a fully independent suspension because both rear wheels are able to move indepedently of each other. They are connected by a metal beam, but that beam can flex and twist (unlike the solid rear axles in trucks), as can the trailing arms that connect the wheels to it. This suspension is not as advanced in design as a control arm system, but it does its job well. Anyway, I just like to clear up the misconception that VW's rear suspension design is solid when it is in fact independent.
  • revdrluvrevdrluv Member Posts: 417
    Correct me if I am wrong but hasn't Toyota gone back to a solid rear axle on the Corolla and Matrix. If so, no wonder the new Corolla's were a little cheaper than the last.
  • jmackey1jmackey1 Member Posts: 3
    I am in Texas where the MINI's are not sold. I saw that someone recommended the Ft Lauderdale MINI but can anyone recommend a good dearlership that I might be able to fly to and drive home a MINI?

Any suggestions will be appreciated!

Thanks.
    Which is similar to that in the VW's. Calling it an 'axle' is really a misnomer but it is often called a beam axle suspension (like the MINI's Z 'axle' rear suspension, since it isn't RWD is there really an axle back there? I don't see one). It doesn't spin like an axle. It is a beam which is flexible and twists (hence, torsion beam) so it acts like a spring in many respects. Like many suspensions, it can be turned for comfort or for performance. It is cheaper than many multilink suspensions.
    I AutoX my 02 GTI on a regular basis with SCCA. My GTI with it's modified suspension ($1k) will hang with any MINI, Miata, MR2, etc. - it handles extremely well with a few tweaks. The major difference is the MINI doesn't need suspension modifications to be competitive on the track. My modified GTI's ride is similar to a MINI S with sport package - on the stiff side, just the way I like it. VW puts a soft suspension on a stock GTI, but it's easy to turn it into a go-cart if that's your preference. I put Neuspeed racing springs/ front shock tower brace, Bilstien shocks and a 25mm Neuspeed rear sway bar on mine - increadable handling by any standard.

As stated above GTI's are extremely safe in a crash - excellent structural design and as many air bags as a MINI (front, side and head). I can't imagine a MINI being a safe car in a rear end crash - there is nothing back there to absorb the impact. I wouldn't let my kids or anyone else ride back there. I don't see that as a big deal though, just keep the rear seat folded and treat it as a 2 seater with a huge trunk. I doubt anyone buys a MINI for it's rear seating capacity anyway.

As far as VW reliability goes, like most all car makers VW has made huge strides. I've put 11k very hard miles on my modified 1.8t GTI in the last year without a wimper - no problems at all. Many of my friends drive VW's of every type and don't have any reliability horror stories either. VW wouldn't be consistently breaking it's sales records and be the most popular European brand in the U.S if they didn't have reliable cars. People don't put up with unreliable cars anymore.
    Don't get me wrong, I like the MINI and may own one someday. My MINI dealer in Orlando is horrible - I wouldn't buy a MINI scooter from them. Hence my decision to go with the GTI instead of an S. The Turbo GTI turned out to be an excellent MINI S alternative for me, I'm totally impressed after the first year. By the time my lease is up the 04 Mk V Golf will be out with 4 Motion all wheel drive - can't wait.
    To me, the Mini has its own niche and does not compete against any other cars. Sure, some might consider Golf-vs-Mini etc, but I would not buy a Golf (it's a great car, but it's never been on my shopping list), while I think the Mini is more of a fun thing. An additional car to have, just like I have a motorcycle. I have enough everyday cars, the Mini just seemed one of the best new designs around, and I was looking forward to it.

Alas, the dealer experience ruined it for me.
  • happycarhappycar Member Posts: 17
    I love sub-compacts.They are easy to manuver, easy to park, and get no door dings because of the narrow size. Now I have a 2000 Chevrolet(Geo) Metro with a three banger that keeps up with any traffic. I am disappionted that it has been discontinued due to "poor demand". The next best step to owning a sub-compact would be a Mini. But why would I want to spend $20,000.00 for a sub-compact that is the same size as a $10,000 Geo? For $20 grand, it had better have more room.! Why is it that Japanese subs are not in demand in America and European subs are? Am I missing something?
  • rsunicorsunico Member Posts: 82
    Greetings! It's time for me to order my Mini. I have a few questions and apologize if these questions have been asked before. I want to order a Mini with the Premium and Cold Weather package. QUESTIONS: 1) I'm not a boy racer. All I require is a car that can merge on the highway w/ no worries and can cruise 80mph for hours on end (cruise control). Given the type of driver that I am, will the basic Mini (not Cooper S) meet my needs? 2) What will DSC do for me? -- remember, I am not a manic driver and don't whip around curves. Finally: 3) Does the car come w/ fog lights already (the 2 white lights under the bumper)? I forgot to ask the rep. If I order the fog lights.. do these necessitate the grill be cut? THANKS IN ADVANCE! Best Regards.. Renato
    First of all, the base price is much less than $20K -- I don't know why people keep saying the MINI is expensive, it is not. Well, compared to the Geo Metro it is expensive but compared to similar cars with similar features I think it is a good deal.

Next, the MINI is much bigger than the Metro where it counts -- I would know, I traded in a '95 Metro hatchback on my '02 MINI Cooper! The MINI is 4" wider than the Metro which makes the passenger space much more comfortable. The Metro actually had more rear leg room (since it was 6" longer) and more cargo space when the seats are up (but less when the seats are folded) -- however, since my Metro and MINI are used 99% of the time for just me, rear passenger room and cargo space with the rear seats up are not that important.

So, why get a MINI? Space, safety, power, drivability, fun, fashion, etc..

There is much more space for the front seat passengers and the MINI's seats, especially the sport seats, are much more comfortable and supportive. By the time I traded my Metro in, even a 30 minute drive was painfully uncomfortable while driving for an hour or two in the MINI is no problem at all.

The MINI is more than 500 lbs heavier than the Metro, has a longer wheelbase, a wider track, bigger wheels, advanced safety features like 6 airbags, ABS/CBC/EBD brakes, ASC+T or DSC traction control. The chassis is 50% stronger than a BMW 3-series car and probably many times stronger than that of the Metro.

Even the base MINI has more than double the power of the Metro, going 0-60 in 8.5s compared to 15.5s in the 3-banger Metro (no joke) so it is almost twice as fast. I drove my 3-banger Metro faster than most drivers on the road but for some left turns into fast moving traffic, I felt the Metro was too underpowered to be safe. Even the base MINI has enough power to burn rubber so I feel much more confident moving out into traffic.

I was driving my Metro hard and in that kind of driving, you'll really enjoy the handling of the MINI. It sticks like glue to the road and if you go a little too hard, it has electronic traction and braking features to keep it going straight. It has that small car fun handling feel but feels much more solid than the Metro which felt like strong crosswinds would blow it over some days.

The Metro is not a cool car, let's face it! The MINI is fun as owners wave, other people ask you what the heck it is, etc. etc. If you don't want to drive a fashion statement that gathers crowds at grocery stores, don't buy the MINI. If you think it is fun to have the cool car in town for once in your life, get one.

So overall I feel much safer and have much more fun in my MINI than I ever did in my Metro. Having a good (Alpine) stereo, good air conditioning, power everything, etc. makes it much more convenient but having comfortable seats is actually one of the biggest factors. The MINI is, IMO, the best small car out there. Most other small cars are now like small minivans or small station wagons and that's not what I wanted. The MINI is what I wanted. Take one for a test drive and see if the $17K MINI is for you.
    I am a fast driver but I have the base Cooper and find it is fast enough for me. Merging onto highways is a breeze with the tall gearing -- shift into 2nd gear around 35MPH and then into 3rd around 60MPH or a little over; you'll be there in 8-10 seconds. The car cruises wonderfully at 90MPH so 80MPH will be a breeze.

In Canada, the base Cooper comes with ASC+T by default so I didn't get DSC. ASC+T is nice for keeping the car from sitting there and spinning the wheels forever in slick conditions and helps you when taking corners fast. Do you need it? No, but I like it.

Fogs are not standard. They come with the sports package or can be ordered separately. The holes for them are already in the bumper so installing them after the fact is quite easy, though you also need a new toggle switch panel since the foglamp is on there and the leave the switch out if you don't order it.
  • johnny36johnny36 Member Posts: 10
    I wasn't a 'boy racer' either until I got my MINI and finally saw 'The Italian Job' ; )

I have a base with DSC. I've never noticed if the DSC light has come on. But then, if I'm in a situation where I would need the DSC, the last place I'm looking is my dash.

Can't recall if it was this board or one of the many others I troll, but someone posted a thread "DSC saved my life". Quickly, a truck was changing lanes on top of the writer's MINI, quick maneuver to avoid, felt for a second he would lose control until the DSC caught and straightened the car. So, while you are not (yet?) a 'boy racer', DSC can help in situations that are caused by other people's driving.

BTW: what color are you ordering?
  • crcoxecrcoxe Member Posts: 72
    Aside from the fact that they are both 2-door hatchbacks with four wheels, I can't find many other similarities between these two cars. If you're shopping for a MINI and are considering the Metro at the same time, I'd strongly suggest you do a little more research. The MINI is a car for those who love driving -- if your morning commute has lost its fun, or you are no longer taking meaningless drives in the country on weekends, the MINI will bring all of that back in a hurry. Also with a strong warranty, roadside assistance and free scheduled maintenance, the cost difference is not really that much. Seems to me that he Metro is all about saving pennies. Not that there's anything wrong with that, it's just marketed for a different driver.

rsunico - Your specs are looking remarkably like mine - premium/cold weather. I did not get the sport pkg but did opt for the 16" 5-spoke rims a la carte. In my humble opinion, the 15s just look too skimpy. I don't have fog lights and the only complaint I have about that is that I am missing two toggle switches on the dash. And while I seem to be the only one on this board who likes them, the bonnet stripes are a MUST on this car. It's like the last final touch before it's officially a MINI and not just another 2-door hatch.
  • big_guybig_guy Member Posts: 372
    I had the opportunity of sitting in a Mini at the local dealership the other day. I am 6'-7" tall and weigh 225 lbs. I was just curious if I could fit into such a small car . . . and I was shocked. I had plenty of head and leg room. Granted, nobody could sit directly behind me (I had to slide the driver seat all the way back on the track so that the drivers seat was touching the seat cushion of the rear passenger seat). I was truly impressed because I do not fit into most vehicles. I don't like to lay the drivers seat back down in order to get head room and didn't have to do that in the Mini. The engineers at BMW did a very nice job of maximizing the interior space (at least for the front seating positions) while keeping the exterior package very small. Just wanted to share my $.02.
  • mgreene1mgreene1 Member Posts: 116
    Hands down, the Civic VX. Super high gas mileage, good build quality, a decent shifter, decent handling, ultra reliable, and much quicker than you'd expect for a car rated at 56 mpg on the highway. It had a special 1.5L VTEC-E motor with 92 bhp / 97 ft lbs of torque but weighed just 2100 lbs. The resale values also held up. This thing stomps all over the Metro in every respect, including the actual net cost to drive. It wouldn't surprise me if the same holds true for the MINI Cooper a few years from now, compared to the cheaper alternatives currently available. Time will tell but one thing is certain: the MINI drivers will be having a *lot* more fun! ;)
  • rsunicorsunico Member Posts: 82
    Hi. Me again. I like the Chili Red. I'm getting the 15" rims -- I want that spare tire and don't want run flat tires ($$$ to replace). I figured I'd run the tires on the 15 to the ground and some point in the future upgrade to 16 and keep the 15 for snows. THANKS TO ALL for the advice! I'm sticking with the non-S mini and no DSC. I'm finding that the salespeople aren't that responsive. The mini dealer by me (Ramsey NJ) called me back once. I spoke to the guy, he promised to call back w/ answers and nada. Second time this has happened w/ that dealer (different rep the other time). Manhattan Mini.. same thing. What do I have to do to get service? Show up with cash?
  • stryderstryder Member Posts: 140
    I've heard good things about them, they don't seem to be too busy and even if its a drive, you can always get your car serviced at any dealer. I would check if you actually get a spare tire, its been debated whether all Cooopers (especially with '03 changes) get a spare or not. Mine personally has it, even though I have runflats. If that's the case, you can easily replace the runflats with normal tires and still take advantage of the flat tire monitoring system. DSC also does come with traction control, so you may want the benefit of not spinning tires on ice or snow in the winter. (A situtation few North American owners have dealt with). Otherwise I agree that you should be happy with a Cooper instead of an S, but be sure you test drive both of them. Check with all the NY metro MINI dealers if necessary to find one that's agreeable, an hour or more drive to find one that takes the time to talk to you is still worth it. You will probably not be able to merge onto the highway in a Cooper at 80 without leaving the car in 3rd or 4th. I don't see this as a problem, but if you like to leave the car in gear and still be able to stomp on the gas and pass people, you can easily find the Cooper to be inadequate. If you downshift and aren't afraid to run the rpms up, it'll move along quite fine. Hills are not usually a problem, at least Northeast size hills. (I haven't taken my car farther west than Wisconsin)

I have the fog lights and love them, people who have ridden in the car with me are jealous of the extra light they provide close to the ground. I especially found them useful in a huge rainstorm driving on the interstate so I could see where I was going at 60mph. They're under $200 if I recall as a separate option, so see if you can look at how they work in the dark sometime, you may regret not having them. (In addition to the blank toggle)
  • footiefootie Member Posts: 636
    Hi,

As some have pointed out here, the web site www.minicooperonline.com has a special section where dealers are reviewed by state.

I just checked and found that there are 3 rated in NJ (in Mahwah, Morristown and Princeton). There are 5 reviews for two of them and 7 for the one in Mahwah, I think.

You have to 'join' the site to access the reviews, but it's free.

It's an excellent site, Mini only, not much talk about Hondas and Geos. :)

Good luck
    Hmmmm I totally forgot to include the 3 cyl Metro in my hot hatch comparison list when I got my GTI last year - my bad. Let's see it would have been Geo, MINI S, GTI, MB C230k (not necessarily in that order)
    Good point. We could get a Swatch mobile over here from Europe for the Mercedes purists too.
  • johnny36johnny36 Member Posts: 10
    I got my MINI from them and they were great! Talk to Jon Lelsie.

And their service dept. is also great. I'm sad to say I had a fender bender with the MINI (it was my fault). Although there was no real cosmetic damage, the wheel sensor (monitors wheel rotation) was damaged and my flat tire light kept coming on. Anyway, I had to bring the MINI three times before it could be located and fixed (I don't blame them for having to look at it 3 times, because the light was intermittent). The important part is; that even though the damage was my fault, they didn't charge me a dime!

BTW: you might want to check with your insurance about red cars. Some insurance is higher if you have a red car in NJ.
  • eman5eman5 Member Posts: 110
    Can anyone comment on this? Are bumps in the road bone-shattering? Is the ride noticeably different from that with regular tires?

Do spare tires come with the run-flats? With any Minis?
    I hear that MINIs with runflats in the states get spares but those in Canada do not, go figure. On base MINIs there is space for a spare but not on the S model (battery in back and centre exhaust get in the way). Base MINIs with 15" wheels come with non-runflat tires and either a spare and a jack or a 'MINI Mobility Kit' with patches and can of sealant, compressor, etc.

I've never driven a MINI without runflats so I don't know if it would be better without them. The ride with the sport suspension and runflats is firm but not bone shattering or even filling loosening. If I get non-runflat winter tires I'll let you know what I think by comparison.
    The ride quality is really dependant on the suspension selection of sports or sports plus. (sports plus being standard on the S). People who have put 18" wheels on them seem to notice a firmer ride, but otherwise the deciding factor is the supension, not the tires as far as ride quality. Handling is a whole different set of factors.
  • harlequin1971harlequin1971 Member Posts: 278
    who has it? What can you tell me?

I owned a 96 Honda HX CVT, and have spent a little time in the Audi A4 with CVT.

The Honda was smooth with just a hint of hesitation. I liked that tranny alot.

The Audi was less smooth (why are we "faking" gears in a gear-less tranny?) and had a noticable pause between gas and go...

I have been tempted by Mini. The S is so seductive on price to value in my books, but the manual is just not the direction I want to go. The normal Cooper has the CVT tranny option, which is a plus, but I want someone's real-world experiences.

1 - Is the tranny a press, wait and go job?

2 - How is the MPG?

3 - I live in AZ, how is the power with AC running in the heat?

4 - Do you wish you had bought the manual?

5 - Stll having fun?

Thanks all...looking forward to a few real-world takes on the CVT Cooper. I know I can test drive one, but the 5 minutes of seat time may not give me a good idea of what the next 5 years will bring. :)
  • justinjustin Member Posts: 1,918
    on the base Mini, with the Silk Green color, you can only get the base black leatherette, or the black leather. any comments on the durability of both of those?

also, i am in the DC area, and there are only 3 dealers, all anywhere from 25-50 miles away. scary though, if the car breaks down. has anyone had any base Mini problems? there was a 2002 model, right? so 03's should have any "bugs" worked out, right?

do you all find that there are Minis for sale at the dealer, or do you HAVE to order one?

thanks!
    I have the black leatherette and so far after 5.5 months and 8500km of driving, it is holding up very well. I use Armorall wipes to clean it once in a while. My son's car seat doesn't leave any marks (marks stay for a few minutes, then disappear) and cleanup is very good. It looks like it will last a long time. The soft plastic of other interior parts worry me more, actually, as they scratch quite easily.

The 2002 base MINI 5-speed had a gearbox linkage recall but that has been fixed in June (or was it May?) and later builds. Similarly, newer cars have fixes for other small niggles like a hatch rattle (mine fixed with some tape). I'm sure the '03s will still have the odd issue but they'll likely be more solid than the '02 which is still a very good car. I think MINI roadside assist will tow you to the nearest dealer.

My local dealer has a ton on the lot waiting to be picked up. Too bad you aren't in Waterloo, Ontario, Canada. Most are base but they even have an S there (or did recently). Probably depends on the location.
    Justin - take a look at

minicooperonline.com

Join and there's a dealership review there as well as pretty honest forums.

There were 02 minis, they had/have bugs -- most of which have been worked out by BMW. Pretty typical for a German based car - neat package, good technology, average execution both in initial quality and likely long term reliability.

Good luck
    harlequin,

I don't think anyone who regularly reads this has a CVT, so you might want to check on one of the other sites. (MINI2.com has a good selection of people with them I know).

Justin,

I have the black leather on my car, and with 7200 miles its doing just fine (Its 5 1/2 months old). Its an expensive option, but It doesn't seem to be deteriorating at all, of course the car is quite young. I just wash it off when its noticbly dirty with leather cleaner.

As far as 3 dealers that's a huge amount. Many people only have one, sometimes several hundred miles away. The free roadside assistance does tow your car (if necessary) to the nearest MINI dealer, so you shouldn't worry. Also I haven't heard yet of a recurring problem that hasn't been fixed at the factory in later model cars besides small issues like the plastic scratching easily. As I and others have said before, BMW doesn't make bullet proof cars like Toyota, but its in their best interest and the customers to fix everything they can. Also since you're looking at Coopers, recall they were sold in England in '01 model year, so an '03 has had a long time for problems to at least start creeping up.

Most people order them, demand is much higher on the west coast, there's still large waiting lists. Some east coast dealers are now just getting alotments, so you can sometimes pick one that's arriving in a few weeks (Ordering takes about 2 months). Very few dealers have cars just sitting on the lot. This seems to be the typical case for BMW's as well, so I wouldn't expect this to change drastically, even as they become easier to get. People who find cars sitting on the lot are usually cancelled orders because financing didn't work out, etc.
  • crcoxecrcoxe Member Posts: 72
    Justin - If you are on the MD side of DC, I'd suggest giving Mini of Towson a try. I got mine there in May and found the people there to be knowledgable and helpful. Everything went smoothly and I drove away happy. My sales rep was a Brit also, which made things kind of fun. Haven't been back for service yet, but I am waiting for the recall part (shift linkage) to come in so I can let you know how they treat you on that end later on. Aside from that one "bug" the car is living up to its hype. I'm in Baltimore, so I can always go to Tate in Annapolis if Towson's service is below par.

I too have the leather (beige) and am happy with it. I picked it more for the color than the desire for the "real thing," but am very glad I have it. Now that the weather is cooling off a little, the seats are a little icy first thing in the morning, but that's what the heated seats are for!!!

I take it with the silk green you are getting black roof/mirror caps??
    http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/NCAP/Cars/1932.html

4 stars front, side and rollover! Too bad they deemed the back seat too small to test... I dunno, I've had 6'+ 200lb+ guys back there so I think a dummy would fit.

Hopefully the IIHS will also test it soon as their offset crash is pretty tough.

• lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    The european NCAP has already tested the Mini in the offset impact at the same speed the IIHS tests at. It was given 4 stars out of 5 and was one of the better performing small cars, though quite a few models did just as well in this test for less money, including the small VW Polo and Lupo, Renault Clio, Opel Corsa, and Toyota Yaris (aka the hatchback version of the Echo). It really is amazing the level of safety small cars offer in Europe whereas they are just beginning to become safe here.

Here's the link:

http://www.euroncap.com/results.htm

Click on superminis. Enjoy!

NHTSA tests the Mini Cooper

Which scores almost even with a

Toyota Highlander

and better than a

Jeep Grand Cherokee

See ma, SUVs do roll over more than anything else.

• justinjustin Member Posts: 1,918
    i went to the dealer, and they did confirm that Silk Green is no longer around much. they are replacing it with some cheesy gold color. who wants a GOLD mini? anyway, they had plenty on the lot, all ridiculously priced. mandatory markup of like 3 grand. they were dead serious. i laughed. and left. pay OVER MSRP for a car? i don't pay anything unless it is like $200 over invoice, so i guess a Mini is not in my future!

thanks for the advice.
    I have a 2002 MINI Cooper CVT. I took delivery just a little over 5 weeks ago. This car is awesome!. So far I have driven it for 900 miles (Still in the mandatory 1,250 mile break in period)and I am having a total blast. The MINI is indeed automotive NIRVANA.

The CVT transmission in the MINI has 3 different "Programming" modes:

1)Normal CVT
    2)Sport Mode
    3)Steptronic

In Normal mode the car is a bit sluggish off the line below 2000RPM but as the car collects miles, the engine begins to open up more and more. For normal city driving, "Normal" mode is very satisfying and provides a good degree of acceleration/performance and great fuel economy. You have your regular PRND gear arragemment.

In Sport Mode the car takes off much faster from the get go and the RPM's are kept constant (Say between 2K and 3K RPM) so the transmission constantly adjusts for optimal torque and power delivery.

In Steptronic mode, the CVT features 6 "Simulated" forward gears. With a quick flick of the gearshift selector (A full push to the right)you can either upshift or downshift (+/-) as you would do in a car equipped with a regular manual transmission the only difference being that you are not depressing a clutch pedal making the upshifts and downshifts very quick, smooth and above all, FUN!.

The CVT provides lots of engine breaking power and you can switch between any of the 3 programming modes on the fly while driving. If switching from Normal to Steptronic mode while doing 50 or 60MPH, the car automatically takes you to the "Simulated" gear it is in Steptronic mode and it simply takes off!

The programming also has a fail safe mode that prevents the driver from accidentally overreving the engine if you make an attempt to downshift the car all the way down while at speed in Steptronic mode.

The CVT is really fun in this car and the more you toy with it the more neat things about it you discover in terms of response and performance.

The CVT in the MINI is metal belt driven. I read somewhere that this transmission is capable of supporting a 200HP engine power rating. If this is the case a CVT Cooper "S" might not be far off the distant future. Hey I would even go for a SMG Cooper 'S'!.

The CVT is great and highly recommend it. It does not take away from the character and performance/handling dynamics of the car. It is the best choice for those that do not know or rather not deal with the compromises found with manual transmission cars or do a lot of city driving but from time to time wish to have a little bit of fun messhing their own "gears" without having to deal with a clutch pedal.

If you have any other questions regarding the CVT, let me know.

Cheers
    You really can't compare the MINI results to a Highlander or Grand Cherokee in a crash. The SUV's weigh significantly more than a subcompact which means much more mass to crash into a barrier. Compare apples to apples - MINI 4 star, VW Golf 5 star, Honda Civic 5 star, Toyota Corolla 5 star, Hyundai Accent 4 star.

The MINI is right up there with the Hyundai Accent!

The offset crash test results should be interesting as well.
    thanks so much!

So, you feel that the CVT with the base Cooper has plenty of go in it? Just curious, what car did you have before it, or better yet, what other car do you have now. (Seems as though many Mini owners are not one-car people.)

You answered a good deal of my questions about the CVT. I keep going back and forth...the Cooper S would be a nice bump up, and would cost about the same (with more little features and power) than the Cooper CVT I would option out. I have done the "Build My Mini" option on the web site...

I just don't like the thought of rowing gears any more...too much of a pain in the knee. But, I am doing it now...and the value/cost tradeoff keeps the S in the running...if I go Mini.

Just curious, have you driven the Audi A4? How would you compare the CVT trannies?
This discussion has been closed.