Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

MINI Cooper

Comments

• stryderstryder Member Posts: 140
    I'm both a reader and an enthusiast, so I guess I fit that. I submitted the request, but if you see the appropriate editors, bug them too. Or just borrow the car and go yourself :) I look forward to seeing what happens.
  • germsgerms Member Posts: 2
    just wondering if there is something I should know/consider before pursuing the car?

I'm hesitant after seeing a graph published in the Chicago Tribune article saying there are 166 complaints per 100 vehicles sold. [Hummer was worst at 220/100]

Any/all help would be greatly appreciated.
    What you should consider is 1st year cars are really ridden with problems, that get fixed as the cars get on the road. Technically, MINIs had been on the road for almost a year in the UK before they came here, but still there's just problems that need to get worked out.

As us owners have said before, the car's not Japanese and indestructable. However things that people have go wrong are usually just annoyances (like the pedal covers coming off on the long term car, which happened to me as well) and you usually ignore them. MINI knows about the problems and fixes them as they can. (The S has standard metal pedals as of '03 for instance, which should solve the problem). Realize you may have issues with the cars, but they're getting much better. No one knows what the ultra long-term reliability will be, but generally new cars are much better. I'm personally looking at getting an '04 now (they'll be out in Oct). You have a 4/48 warranty for a reason, but the car's so much fun, usually a small problem or two doesn't bother you much. It doesn't surprise me that HUMMER is the highest, since at least the H2 is brand new as well, and wasn't on the road before it started selling in the US. (Also bigger things have more parts and more to go wrong)
  • minime5minime5 Member Posts: 41
    Let's try that again...I've been a Mini owner for about a month now, and I have another thing for you to consider in addition to what stryder noted. You'd be very hard pressed to find any car that can match the level of fun and the same level of equipment for the same price as the Mini. This started out as a third car for me, but I haven't seen the inside of my Saab since the day I brought home the Mini.
  • eman5eman5 Member Posts: 110
    Any news about changes for the 2004 model year--or, at least, any ideas about when we might read about same?
    The rumor mill hasn't started yet on '04 changes, but it should start sometime soon, also the 'official' announcement is expected in August (not exactly long notice, as Sept starts the production to get to the US in Oct)
  • pjreporterpjreporter Member Posts: 32
    Hi,

I am a reporter with a major daily seeking new mini cooper owners for an article I'm working on. can you please email me at LANETEF@YAHOO.COM? Deadline is Friday May 16
  • woodywwwoodyww Member Posts: 1,806
    A friend of mine wants to buy a new Mini Cooper "S", manual trans., in Northern VT. I know the Mini from all the magazine articles, & from perusing this thread a bit. I'm wondering: what is the time it takes to order one? Does anyone know a good dealer in VT? Which options do people consider essential? Would you go for the 16", or 17" tires and rims? And it seems like list price, or a little under, is possible nowadays, is that correct?

Thanks in advance for any advice, & sorry if I'm asking redundant questions here.
    Pretty much all of your questions have been answered, but depending on your view of reading 69 pages of messages, I think we understand why you'd ask them again.

There aren't any dealers in VT (I won't comment on the population of VT since its a very cool place, but since cows don't buy cars I guess MINI didn't feel there was enough of a market). So first of all, your friend needs to be willing to drive for service (in addition to driving to purchase the car).

The time to order and actually get your car is about 2 months, it takes 4 weeks to cross the atlantic and a few weeks to build it, get it ready etc. That assumes of course there's no wait at the dealer. CA still has year long backups, but if you check around the east coast, you may do better. Also dealers get cars delivered without people ordering them, so there might be something on a boat now that's not spoken for.

I've heard good things about Keeler MINI in Albany and also MINI of Peabody in Boston (well Peabody). Keeler being closer is probably the best bet, I know at least one person on MINI2 has an S in VT, so you could track them down. I did just think of one thing, depending on how northern VT it is, there's a possibility driving to Montreal for servicing (purchasing would be a pain I'm sure) is a better idea. I have no idea about those dealers though except mini.ca says there are two, I wonder about the warranty/free maintence though, so perhaps you should ask MINIUSA about it. (866 ASK MINI i think). In any event the service intervals are about 10K miles, then every 15K after, but you never know about unscheduled.

Essential (in my view, but others differ) items are probably multi function steering wheel, because it ads cruise and the radio controls stink. Otherwise, it depends on personal preference. Heated seats are really nice, the sunroof's nice, Fog lights are a good safety item. The rest of the options/packages are personal preference/financial issues. Xenon's are really bright, but expensive, the trip computer's neat, but pricy, etc.

As we've recently discussed, the tires are pretty close to awful in regular snow, so account for buying snow tires and purchase based on summer driving. If a harsh ride is a plus, then 17"s have good grip and look nice. If there's lots of potholes and such, 16's may be a better deal. Either of them are quite stiff because of being runflats.

List is probably the best you can do unless you find a car on the lot that's been there for a while. In any case, the car's worth MSRP.
  • hpulley4hpulley4 Member Posts: 591
    On the Cooper I say get the sports package for the sport seats, 16" wheels, foglamps, etc. and I'd say heated seats are a must if you get the leatherette.

On the S you get 16" wheels and sport seats in the standard config so there really isn't much you need. IMO, just heated seats and foglamps will do it. I don't really feel the need for the on-board computer (doesn't seem to be accurate anyways) or multi-function wheel (this isn't a car for cruise control IMO) but others love them so try out some cars with those features and see what you think.

I'm in Canada so can't help you with dealers or pricing, sorry.
  • mgreene1mgreene1 Member Posts: 116
    Per some other MINI boards, MINI is changing shocks and oil to soften the ride, but only for the US. This has caused quite a stir since it's supposedly happening with May production. MINI claims the changes will keep the great handling, but they went to great lengths to offer essentially the same car worldwide and even promoted that fact. If the changes give a more supple ride with no sacrifice in handling, then the other markets should also get them. I think the MINI S with the 16" A/S runflats is fine. The ride is firm but not harsh with 37 psi in all 4 tires and that's a good compromise. For a softer ride, you can go with a lower psi within the recommended range. If MINI was making the change worldwide to improve the car, I've give them the benefit of the doubt but fooling with the US-only model doesn't make much sense.
  • mgreene1mgreene1 Member Posts: 116
    It looks like the change is worldwide after all. What started all the fuss was this interview with MINIUSA's guy, and then people assumed the change was only for the US models.
    http://www.detnews.com/2003/autosinsider/0305/09/d03-159692.htm
    I'd welcome a softer ride and rear fog lights. I'd really like to see Steptronic or CVT--some sort of automatic transmission--in the S and Works models.
  • alanminialanmini Member Posts: 6
    I'm planning to buy a Mini (base model, red/white/
    sunroof) this Spring but two things concern me:
    How difficult is it to use the centrally-mounted speedometer? I know it's part of the Mini racing mystique, but I suspect it would be hard to get used to, particularly since I'm nearsighted. True? Secondly, I'm considering the five-spoke 16" wheels,which are called "performance run-flat" tires. Do they really work? Does that mean I wouldn't be supplied with a spare? Also, in Winter (in Connecticut) I'd acquire snow tires.
    Are a pair for the front enough, or should I get four? Alan
  • hpulley4hpulley4 Member Posts: 591
    I find the central speedometer is no problem at all to read. It took a tiny bit of adjustment but even after just a few minutes in the test drive I was already comfortable. I'm not nearsighted though so your best advice would be to take a test drive and see how it is for you.

In the USA I think you get a spare on the Cooper even with runflats.

Four snow tires are best for winter.
  • arkytectarkytect Member Posts: 12
    As one nearsighted driver to another, I agree with Hpulley in that I too find the central speedometer mounting location to be a non-issue.

And, I really like the emphasis placed on the location of the tachometer. Some complain that you can't see the whole tach, which is true. A small part of the tach's top is clipped from view by the steering wheel, but I can still read the thing. The clipping can be alleviated somewhat by seat and steering wheel height and placement.

All in all, the MINI's controls, in several instances (seat back levers, window switches,etc.), differ from what Japan, Inc. and other manufacturers are doing, but there's nothing that feels weird or wrong after a short amount of time spent on orientation. I've been told that a lot of the MINI's features come from BMW's other cars. This may be so, I've never owned a BMW. For me the driving position is terrific and all the controls have a quality feel.

I believe that Hpulley is also correct in his assertions that US MINI Coopers optioned with run-flats still get the spare.

Motor On.
  • crcoxecrcoxe Member Posts: 72
    I agree that the center-mount speedo is really a non-issue -- even if you are near-sighted. The car is small enough that the speedo is really not that much further away than the tach. And it's so BIG that you can easily read the numbers. I got used to it by the time I got it home from the dealer on the first day. I personally like having the tach front and center anyway.

I have an '02 base cooper with the 16" 5-spokes and runflats. It came with a spare.

A note on snow tires - I never got them. After the nasty winter we had on the east coast (MD), I can only think of a couple of occasions when I thought I needed them. Even then, with DSC, it really wasn't all that bad. Two should suffice, but you would then have problems with uneven wear on the two you swap off. If you get them, you might as well get all four.
    Two snow tires is a very bad idea these days. Because good snow tires tend to be also ice tires, you'll end up with some very crazy handling car if only the front wheels have traction, I'd suspect it'd be fun to hang the back end out, much like if you used the e-brake to do turns, but it'd probably be pretty annoying and potentially dangerous to suddenly give your car oversteer.

In any case central speedo's a non-issue as others have said. Also, the tires depend on if you've gotten the all-seasons or performance tires, which could explain the difference in people's snow-opinions.
  • dwabiddwabid Member Posts: 36
    The speedo takes a little getting used to. With us its not so much the position but the layout of the numbers. It is hard to read your speed when the hash marks are only in 10 mph increments. So it seems you are always at an "-ish" speed...70-ish...80-ish. But my 80 year old father had a piece of wisdom regarding that. "With a car like this do you really need to know exactly how fast you are going?"
  • rayt2rayt2 Member Posts: 1,208
    Have owned my base model Indi Blue Cooper for 1 month & put 3200 miles on it so far. I took trip to Richmond Virginia then to Raleigh N.C. & back to upstate N.Y. Put on a little over 1200 miles and averaged 36 mpg at 70/75 mph.
    I bought it for a commuter car for the next 5 years use and retired my 91 CRX w/170k.
    Can't wipe the grin off my face, this is one fun car to drive.

Ray T.
  • revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    and congrats on our recent purchase! We look forward to hearing more about your Mini Cooper experience.... Happy motoring!

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards
  • esfcesfc Member Posts: 7
    I picked up my new Mini S April 14th - Yellow / White with the 3 packages and Harmon Kardon system . I have only put 1200 miles on the car when driving home from work this Monday I was unable to get out of the way of a piece of road debris that was flying at me. A piece of metal 4x2 and about 1/4 inch thick sliced through the lower grill , AC condensor and radiator . BMW roadside towed the car back to the dealer, they had all the parts including the grill in stock and had the car back on the road the same day . Damage was 1485.00 - Allstate picked up all but the 200.00 deductible. The dealership was great in getting the car back out on the road .
    I'm surprised they had everything in stock, but that's really good they got it all fixed in one day. Unfortunately it shows just how expensive they are to fix if its not a warranty issue....
  • esfcesfc Member Posts: 7
    When I decided to purchase the Mini I was aware that the BMW labor rate was 98.00 per hr in this area. So I was not shocked with the bill and cared less when I realized my insurance would cover most of it. Of the 1485.00 bill 630.00 was labor , so the parts and the A/C evac and fluid refills really wasn't so bad considering what was replaced . Now I'm just waiting for the weather to clear so I can get out and put the car through its paces now that I have past the 1200 mile breakin period .
  • ozone1ozone1 Member Posts: 87
    As others have said on this board, the centrally mounted Speedometer doesn't take long to get used to. My only complaint is that if you are in manual mode with the CVT, the gear indicator (ratio indicator may be be a better description, since the CVT doesn't have gears) is on the Speedometer and not the tachometer. In my opinion, it belongs on the tach, you can't see it too well on the speedometer.
  • awi1awi1 Member Posts: 9
    Has anyone else out there had their power
    steering pump go bad? Just got my MINI back
    from the dealer, replaced the power steering
    pump, went out last week. I was still able
    to drive the car, but only because I work out
    in the gym regularly! Dealer service was great,
    they gave me a free rental car and first class
    treatment, although I had to make 2 trips over
    there, is about a 3 hr. round trip drive...
    There seems to be several people who have had it happen on MINI2. Not that that's much help, but good they gave you a rental.

Back to the fun part...driving!
  • dacremadacrema Member Posts: 6
    I picked up my 03 Cooper (SG/B) last Sept (the 28 @ 4p.m. that I can remember the time is telling). I have put 16,400 some odd fun filled miles on the car.

The power steering pump. Mine did go bad and caused the car to overheat. The pump is electric on this car. The cooling fan for the pump and cooling system are on the same fuse on my car and cars older than mine. So there is a week link there, I'm sure that MINI is addressing the issue but would not expect to see a fix for the older cars any time soon. I placed a skid plate under the car to protect the fan.

I got the car with the sport package. It has the five spoke wheels mounted on Goodyear run flats. The wheels look great and are relatively easy to keep clean. The run flats are ok to good street tires for day to day driving. They weigh a lot and ride hard due to the stiff side walls. I will be getting performance tires when they are worn. This is an easy move for me to take as I have a spare tire, the S does not. (I am considering putting run flats on my wife's van.)

The only bad thing about the speedo is you will never convence a cop that you did not know how fast you were going.

I hope you get one and enjoy you MINI as much as I have.
    John
  • segestasegesta Member Posts: 27
    I'll try to keep this on-topic. Last night about 75 Mini owners from Chicago went to see The Italian Job, courtesy of Bill Jacobs Mini in Naperville (thanks, guys).

Good movie: your standard heist caper with the obligatory quirky ensemble. Think Ocean's 11 with cooler cars. Only problem? Only the first 20 minutes take place in Italy; from there on it's standard L.A. scenery.

According to the promo film shown at the dealership, the Minis in the film were not modified for the chase scenes... which makes me want to explore the limits of my handbrake. Of course I saw the movie with a biased audience, but you will come away from the film wanting a Mini, badly. Or loving yours even more.

Check it out!
    I haven't seen Italian job yet, but I have experimented several times with the e-brake in parking lots. Its quite easy to rotate the cars, and is quite fun. Try it some time, tires are easily replaced :) Once you get good at it, you can use it for those quick U-turns on divided streets.
  • crcoxecrcoxe Member Posts: 72
    If you check out www.miniitalianjob.com, you get some good behind the scenes stuff. Aside from roll cages, aero kits, etc., the cars were apparently not modified all that much. The biggest mods seem to have been for the scenes where they are driving through the sewer ducts (I can't wait to see this!) they had to swap out the engines for electric power. L.A. regulations wouldn't allow them to run gas engines in the enclosed spaces. If I remember correctly, MINIUSA donated 35 of them for the movie and few made it out in proper running order.

Yes, stryder, I think I'll have to find myself an empty parking lot ... Runflats are a little pricey, but I'm not sure I can resist any longer!
    I haven't seen Italian job yet, but I have experimented several times with the e-brake in parking lots. Its quite easy to rotate the cars, and is quite fun. Try it some time, tires are easily replaced :) Once you get good at it, you can use it for those quick U-turns on divided streets.
    To save the tires, but still practice the art, just wait till it rains, the drag co-efficient (say that word 3 times fast) is much less and won't hurt the tires as easily. Or if you happen to live where it snows it gets real interesting!
    Donuts anyone !!!!!

Got my welcome kit from Mini USA in mail yesterday, these guys think of everything!
    4100 miles on my 03 & still can't get the smile off my face.

Let's Motor !

Ray T.
    After about 3,000 miles on our Mini S we find that the Standard Stereo with CD could be better. (We decided against the CD changer because of the space it took up in the trunk and $800 price tag - ouch). I am thinking about replacing it with an after market stereo...maybe even adding XM radio. Has anybody tired this? If so do we loose the steering wheel controls?

THX
    You lose the steering wheel controls if you don't get an adapter. According to stereo experts on the other boards, you can use a SWI-X adapter which will control another headunit with an infrared remote, or there's some other adapter that a stereo guy on MINI2 in england has gotten that will use a hardwire port for certain brands of radio.

You can also buy a blitzsafe adapter which will let you use a normal alpine cd changer, which shouldn't be more then a few hundred depending on which you get, with the factory stereo and pre-wiring.

If you have an '03, you can get Sirius from the dealer for a rather excessive price, I think it was $500....

Also, the common wisdom among stereo people is if you change the MINIs speakers, you'll get a huge difference, even if you don't change the headunit.
  • mpg5mpg5 Member Posts: 68
    CLOSE TO BUYING A COOPER S (EVEN THOUGH THE WIFE SAYS IT'S IMPRACTICAL) AND AM AN AVID MOUNTAIN BIKER. ANY READS ON WHICH RACK IS BETTER? MIGHTY JOE'S REAR RACK (MIGHT POSE A PROBLEM FOR FULL SUSPENSION FRAME) OR YAKIMA ROOF RACK (SUNROOF IS VERY NOISY WITHOUT BIKES UP THERE, COULD BE UNBEARABLE OR MAYBE LESS WIND NOISE WITH THE FAIRING ATTACHED). DOES MIGHTY JOE RACK FIT IN BOOT WITH REAR SEATS UP (I DOUBT IT BUT MAYBE IT FOLDS)? ALSO, ANYONE 6'2" DRIVING ONE WITH KIDS IN REAR SEATS? THANKS
    Could you not use all caps in the future? Its difficult to read. Anyway, I don't know much about racks, but as the car lacks gutters or anything else to attach to, I've heard some large questions about the Yakima rack, and exactly how it attaches. No help on mighty joe. You should also look into the MINI rack, its a rather pricy dealer option, and they have to actually drill into the roof (leaves little dots if the rack's not on at the time) but many people seem satisfied with it.

I'm just under 6'2" and it basically comes down to your driving position. I tend to drive with my knees almost at the dashboard. If you prefer to be very far away, there will be less room behind you. Also, the height adjustment is an issue. If you have the seat at its lowest, there's no toe room under it, so I always had to adjust higher then I liked if people were in the back seat. I always carried full size adults though, so I'm not sure about kids.

Overall, the car's quite pratical for the price, I don't want to cause family strife, but go take the kids to a dealer and drive around with them, she may change her mind. There's people who have been toting 12' sea kayaks on their dealer installed racks.
  • mpg5mpg5 Member Posts: 68
    already have a minivan, so this would be my primary vehicle which i spend 90% of time in it alone anyway. i believe when i sat in it i had seat at lowest setting. (could be a problem i guess). impractical or not i think it's just too cool, and although i haven't driven the 'S' i know i'll be hooked once i do. i was hoping to get a bit of a deal, but with 'the italian job' now out i may be in for more of a wait unless i pay MSRP, which i guess if i find color combo i want i should just say WTF and go for it.
    Anyone who's driven a newer Mini with the softened ride (different oil-filled shocks--did they do anything else?): can you give us a report?
    Depends how many kids and passengers you have, and how far you want to go. If you're just going out for ice cream on a warm evening, you can fit 3 people in the car and be a bit uncomfortable with the seat higher. Just think how often you'll need to put 3 people plus yourself in the MINI (and not the minivan, since you have it) I can't imagine the lack of seat room will be much of an issue.

The residual values on the cars are amazing, mostly because of the limited demand and nearly everyone paying MSRP. Browse around the used section here on edmunds, you'll do pretty well if you get one for MSRP. Saving a few hundred just means you'll get the car later and is it really worth saving that little when you can't enjoy it? However, with the new model year coming up as Sept builds, you may need decide to either snatch one off the lot, or wait and order an '04, I wouldn't reccomend ordering a car that will come a month before the new year, even if the cars lose less then 10% in a year and 15K miles at the moment.
    Stryder thanks for the aftermarket stereo advice. I will debate replacing the stereo probably until fall. Sounds to much of a hassle and seeing that the warm weather is here to stay, the windows and sunroof will be open and when ever I get the itch to replace the stereo I will just pull up on the hand brake -insert evil laugh here-
    I have not seen any Mini's go for less than msrp, all the dealers (3) in my 50 mile radius are getting msrp, so I don't think there are any bargains to be found.
    I bought the base Cooper in Indigo Blue paint as the only option and payed $17375.oo + tax
    Still motoring............

Has anyone out there bought from or corresponded with this company, Minispares.com, I have sent two e-mails for more info on a product they offer but no response ????? What the hel.....
    Terrible way to do business.

Ray T.
    I was able to get my base MINI for $500 off sticker. I never considered the S, so I'm not sure if they give the same deal on that. They 20-25 base models in stock, and only 2 S types. 2 months, 2700 miles, and happy as can be. I would be interested in looking into some speaker upgrades though....
  • chrisbgoodchrisbgood Member Posts: 77
    Minime? What state/dealer if you may? 500 off sticker is pretty good on this car, isn't it?
    I bought mine from Knauz MINI in Lake Bluff, IL. It's located about 40 minutes north of Chicago - I shopped the 4 dealers in my area, and they're the only ones who offered me anything off sticker. Large selection, and they were very pleasant to do business with too.
    Either the owner or someone else important at minispares regularly posts on MINI2. Though from my experience, since minispares is in the UK, people on the west side of the pond tend to stick to local places just because of shipping and customs. Was there something specific you wanted that only minispares carried? It may be time to look elsewhere...but I haven't actually heard anything bad about the company, and they are a sponsor of MINI2
  • greyscalegreyscale Member Posts: 22
    The first time I saw a MINI on the street, I wanted one. I went for a test drive last week (northern California) and was hooked. I'm interested in the CVT, and the dealer said the CVTs were not nearly as popular as the manual transmission. Is there any reason why? I am planning for an '04 model. The only car I have ever owned is Volvo and don't know how to drive manual transmission.

I would also like to know how people chose their body color. They are all very nice, classic colors. These postings have been extremely helpful to me. Thanks. :)
    I'm not going to get into a 'discussion' on automatics vs. manual transmissions, but there's two main reasons CVT's aren't as popular. A: Cooper S' only come with a manual, and many people like the extra power, bigger wheels etc, so they choose that model. B. Since MINIs have heritage, many people think a MINI should just be a manual transmission, along the same lines, a car with 115hp and a sporting personality fits well with a manual transmission.

Also not spending $1250 (I think that's the cost) is a big benefit. If you haven't/Can't drive a manual, I know several people whose first manual cars were brand new MINIs (and others got brand new VW's with the same transmission logic) so its certainly possible to learn.

The redline on a CVT is limited compared to a manual cooper, so it is 'wimpy' in some respects, also it can have lag that you need to get used to and adjust for when starting, so its 0-60 times are slower.

I chose my color because I looked at cars that were pre-speced as the first in the country, I wanted certain options, and the one that matched best happened to be Indi Blue. I didn't especially care, except I knew a few colors just didn't work for me, so that narrowed it. You can also decide if you like metallic paint or not, that can help you choose. Finally, a popular technique (especially in places like Northern CA) is to get a color that is different from the other MINIs on your block, so you still stand out. Don't forget once you choose a color, you still need to choose roof color, and interior colors to match.
  • greyscalegreyscale Member Posts: 22
    Thanks for the input. With respect to the CVT, I'm in San Francisco and my main driving is city, so I'm not keen on learning manual transmission.

On the colour issue, do you happen to know the original MINI colours at its inception? One earlier post suggested a bright colour because of its size.

If anyone is interested, East Bay BMW in Pleasanton, CA, claims to be the only dealership in the Bay Area without a mark-up.
This discussion has been closed.