Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

MINI Cooper

Comments

• joncsjoncs Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for your thoughts on the issue. The price of the Mini S in Canada with some options is approx 32,000 Canadian and the Works package is another 8,000 Canadian. The 350 Z is 45,000 Canadian, so you can see it is not a big leap in cost.
  • markjennmarkjenn Member Posts: 1,142
    My $0.02 is that the MCS/works is a pretty good deal IF (and these are huge IFs), you are Ok with the go-cart size/feel of the MCS vs. the comfort and heft of a larger sports car like the 350Z, and IF you are Ok with feeding this much power through the front wheels.

The larger size and weight a car like the 350Z would make it a much more relaxed and comfortable highway car, but much less nimble and fun to fling around.

Unlike a RWD car, a FWD car can be a better car with less power. In the Mini's case, I think 160-hp or so sounds like about where the limit is, but of course, this depends on how much you value good handling vs. straight line performance. Someone who really values having better balance between chassis and power, might actually prefer the non-S.

The original Mini had something like 50-hp and was an absolute hoot to drive. You don't need 17-inch wheels and 200-hp to have a very fun car.

- Mark
  • hpulley4hpulley4 Member Posts: 591
    The MINI is lots of fun because it is so tossable. Many people who've upgraded from Coopers to Cooper S's report that the S isn't nearly as tossable due to the added weight and the S is still much lighter than the Z.

With the traction control off, even the Cooper has more than enough power to get into trouble. Mash the throttle at high speeds in the middle of a corner with the ASC+T/DSC turned off and you'll understeer right off the road. 200HP just backs it much easier.

When the original MINI came out the VW Beetle was one of its main competitors with its 45HP rear mounted engine. The Beetle did 0-60 in about 30 seconds or so and was considered the benchmark. 8.5 seconds for the Cooper is already a rocket in comparison.

Extra horsepower is still useful in a FWD car for passing and getting to high speeds but it isn't much use off the line as the Cooper can spin the tires with ease already. Even with a 63:37 weight ratio there isn't enough weight in front to counteract the lifting action.

I traded an 1850lb Geo Metro in on my Cooper. The Cooper feels solidly planted in comparison and still feels solid compared to many heavier cars due to its tight suspension (cars passing by our family station wagon make it jiggle while the Cooper is rock solid). The Cooper is light enough to be very tossible, yet the suspension is tight enough that it can handle the power. Much more than 150HP and you really need AWD or RWD to use it IMO.

MCS vs. 350Z is quite an apples to oranges comparison if you think about it. Sure, they both have 4 wheels and a piston-style ICE with some previous model history but after that they are hatchback vs. sportscar, RWD vs. FWD, Japanese vs. Europe/UK. The RX-8 would be a much closer comparison for the 350Z.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I'm with markjenn on this argument. You don't want too much power in a FWD car. As the racer boys say on the weekend --"if you are a bad driver with 150HP you will be absolutely terrible with 300HP".

Not to imply that YOU aren't a good driver---the point is: Master the car you have, then go for more HP if you think you need it, after having your "underpowered" car completely at your bidding to do as you command.

Having driven only the regular Mini and the S, I would buy this S, because the base Mini doesn't have enough torque. But the S's HP seems more than enough for anything I'm capable of doing on public roads.

And Markjenn was right about the original Mini. It had less horsepower than today's cheapest 4-door Korean sedan, but there is still to this day hardly a more fun car to drive.

So I'd suggest forget about the numbers on paper and just drive each car and see how it feels to you. If you romp the gas pedal on a Works Mini too soon in a high speed turn and it scares you half to death, it might not be your cup of tea.

Really good sports or sporty cars are about BALANCE, not HP numbers.
  • ennuyeeennuyee Member Posts: 2
    I've given up on the Universal City dealership -- they were extraordinarily unhelpful to the point of rudeness (future Mini buyers: stay away from them! Stay away!). It doesn't matter if the car's destruction wasn't their fault -- they should have made some effort to put things right (especially as they already had my down payment in hand), instead of merely offering to reorder the car for me and STILL charge $2000 over sticker. Mini USA hasn't been too helpful, either; they say they can't find any other car close to my specs, and haven't offered any other solutions. I never considered the possibility of their giving me an immediate production date (and they never brought it up, either) -- I'll mention it in my next round of telephone tag with their reps. In the end, I might wind up schlepping from LA to Santa Ana or Monrovia to get something off the lot of the dealerships there -- or I'll get a Beetle. Yeah, I know, the Beetle sucks in comparison, but I've just been generally disheartened by my Mini experience thus far.
  • websagewebsage Member Posts: 1
    Like many in this forum, I am ready to get my own MINI Cooper S, but not prepared to pay the dealer markup. The only dealer in the Bay Area (California) that sells at MSRP - East Bay BMW has a 12 to 14 months wait for an S. Waiting that long seems to be downright silly to me. I'd like to ask two questions:

1. Does anyone know of any MINI dealers that would sell at MSRP and have a shorter wait?

2. Does anyone know what the implications are of buying a vehicle out of state and then registering it in California? Are there additional state taxes to be paid?
  • stryderstryder Member Posts: 140
    I'm not sure for cars besides MINI, but a MINI is 50 state legal, so short of any minor fees, like an out of state inspection, you should be able to buy a car out of state for less then $25 extra. You won't need to pay sales tax twice or anything. I know people have bought cars to ship/drive to CA from nearly all the dealers. MINI of the Hamptons does it a lot, also the dealer in UT seems to be a popular place. Other people have done some of the midwestern dealers. Most dealers now sell at MSRP and have the minimum 2-3 month wait for a custom ordered car, but you'd need to call around and find out.

I'd call around, in an increasing radius, ask how long the wait and what the price of your spec car would be. Then ask about getting it to CA. Since the cars have been out so long, you should be able to find lots of salespeople who are experienced in registering to CA. Don't forget to ask for something like 'out the door price' since dealers like adding $500 here and there for stupid stuff that's extra profit.

The extra expense is really just getting the car home. Shipping or flying out and driving it.
  • rghesselrghessel Member Posts: 122
    Is there a list anywhere that summarizes all the dealer programmable options for the Mini (S)(i.e. autolocking of doors, headlight timing, etc)? I want to get everything set to my liking when I pick up the car, but the dealer claims there's no "list" of things that can be programmed (which I know is a load of crap).
    Thanks!
  • rghesselrghessel Member Posts: 122
    In reviewing old posts, I'm confused. There was some indication that for the 2003's a center armrest has been added. What's the real scoop?

Also, does anyone have the aftermarket armrest with the storage ($159 at Minimania.com)? Any opinions? (And anywhere to get it more cheaply??
  • crcoxecrcoxe Member Posts: 72
    As I recall, there is no "list" of dealer programmable options. The reason is that the options depend largely on when your car is/was built. Yes, this is very frustrating. Some have options that others do not. What you should do is call ahead with a list of the options you want so it's programmed when you pick up the car. You can also stop by the service desk and (if you get the right person) they can tell you a little more about what is available.

One bit of advice -- don't wait until after you take the car home to ask for reprogramming. I made this mistake and they wanted to charge me $50 to reprogram the "push-and-hold" feature on the key to open the windows instead of pop the boot and to have auto-locking doors at 12 mph. They said it was because they weren't requested upon delivery. Of course, they didn't offer it on delivery, but that didn't seem to matter. Service desk told me to ask the sales rep if he could do anything. Sales rep said I had to talk to service. Ahhhh, BMW service at its finest!!!! Out of principle, I didn't have the features reprogrammed.

On the lighter side, this was really the only negative aspect of my purchase. 15 months later, I still LOVE this car (even without the auto-opening windows and auto-locking doors).

As for the center console, I also heard that the '03's were going to have one, but it seems as though that never materialized. I thought about springing for the after-market one, but decided it would probably be too small to have any practical value (especially at $159). Also I was concerned that it may not fit quite right and would result in a cheaper-looking interior.
    The only official list is when they plug your car in, they get a listing of the options they can program. Especially if you pick up your car in a few weeks, it may be an '04, which will change things. Sometime in '04 for instance a new key will debut, which will have comfort opening (the holding unlock to open windows that was mentioned) and boot popping buttons separate.

There are listings of the options, but month by month they change, so you need to, when you pick up your car have them plug it in and tell you what they can program, then decide. It takes only a few minutes. MINI did have a policy of asking beforehand what you wanted programmed, but I'm not sure that's universal, nor is it updated as options change.

It does depend on the dealer, often if you go in for service for something else, they'll reprogram free. Also many software updates obliterate your settings anyway, so they have to ask what you wanted.

Programming also changes depeding on the dealer's software. When I got my car 1 1/2 years ago, they didn't know how to program daytime running lights, a later update of their computers and a call to the mysterious head office got it figured out a few months later.
  • jethro4jethro4 Member Posts: 1
    A quick search here on supercharger didn't turn up this question...

I've read that w/ turbos you're supposed to let the car idle for a few minutes after a hard drive to let the turbo "cool down". And, you should change the oil more than a non-turbo engine would need.

Does this apply to a supercharged engine? Any other type of "maintenance" required?
    The supercharger isn't subjected to such high rpm's and heat as a turbo is, so you don't have to let the car cool, (or use a turbo timer) superchargers use higher compression, so there's a vague logic to more frequent oil changes, but MINI doesn't spec any differences, perhaps since the change interval is determined by the car, if you drive heavier, it definetly will decrease the interval. I wouldn't worry, unless you're the type who doesn't like to follow reccomended intervals and do more often changes.

Beyond that, there isn't much maintence for the supercharger, part of the reason it was probably selected over a turbo. GM's got tons of supercharged cars running around with no problems to speak of with that setup.

I suspect if you search other cars' topics with superchargers (like any of the GM's I've mentioned) someone may have said something in that thread...
  • dlipdlip Member Posts: 7
    Hi, I,m a new in here, today I need your help me to make a choice between Nissan 350Z and Mini Cooper S, tomorrow is my last day to made a choice please help mr! Thank
    Did you drive them? They are apples and oranges IMO, aside from the fact that both are new cars with some retro history. One is RWD sportscar, other is FWD true hatchback. One is japanese, other is british/european. Personally I'd get the S but of course this is the MINI Cooper forum...
  • bondstreetbondstreet Member Posts: 1
    anybody out there get the john cooper tunning kit? if so, how much$ and how do you like it??
    Today the Mini S delivery to my front door which I order in yesterdays.Yes I found the available on SC Charleston. They got 2 dark grey S available with stickers prices one is 24,815 with permium and sport package, leather seat, rain sensor, harman kardon sound system but with several hundred miles on it, another is 24,025 with sport package and leather seat and many option with 0 mile. I never have a test drive before I sign the paper but I know it would't be a wrong choice! After my S park infort of my door I jump in and start the engine... Woo. I love that noice, about 5 min driving around my plantation I knew this is the Right One. Easy to handle, good corner power in mid 30's rmp. Also you can see the people around r watching and thumb up. So, I feel lucky to have this S without waiting 6-10 weeks and in right price and also the dealer not pushing me this and that.
    Now, there are only 1 left if anybody interesting take it asap.
  • s852s852 Member Posts: 1,051
    Can this
    http://www.powerblocks.com/benches/travbnch.html with the pictured dumbbells plus a large 26 or 30 inch inflatable gym ball http://store4.yimg.com/I/exercise_1753_7174559
    and a very large gym bag and some kind of small folding cart/dolley (to carry everying out all at once) all fit inside a new Mini with the rear seats folded?

Does anyone have large high resolution photos of the cargo area loaded and/or unloaded?
    We're moving soon so my wife brought home a bunch of boxes last night to use. With the seats folded, there is a lot of room in there, almost 25 cubic feet and the opening is quite large. The boxes, when unpacked, cover a good sized kitchen table if that gives you any idea. You can fit a 36" TV in the back so a 30" gym ball will be no problem. Bulky items are no problem, really long items might be troublesome.
    Looks like that folding weight bench is at least 40" long. Is that too long to fit insiede?
  • rayt2rayt2 Member Posts: 1,208
    It seems the buying of a Mini is only slowed down if you live in the west. Dealers in the east seem to have them on the lot in many configurations. Prestige Mini in Mahwah N.J. (supposedly the largest dealer on east coast)has many Cooper's and "S" models to choose from on the lot. They get MSRP for all cars. There is a wait for "S" orders up to 6 months however. They also have a couple of JCW versions in showroom.

For those into racing, my trip this past weekend to Watkins Glen Racetrack for the Fall Vintage Festival had many of the Mini's of old on the track and holding their ground. They still draw the crowds and are a blast to watch race.

Ray T.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,936
    I'm confused. you say there are many on the lot to choose from, but then you say a 6 month wait? Which is correct??

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

If you ORDER a Cooper it's a 4 to 6 week wait. If you ORDER an "S" it's up to 6 month wait. It all depends on the options you want. My only option on my Cooper was the color, Indi Blue, which was on the lot.
    Choose from the lot.........no waiting !
    If you buy one from Prestige send me an e-mail (address in my profile) so I can add another knotch in my belt for referrals. LOL

Let's Motor !

Ray T.
    Is the Cooper S have a alarm come with it? If not
    can it install alarm with aftermarket? Will it spoil the factory warrenty?
  • dwabiddwabid Member Posts: 36
    Quick concern,

Our Mini S (With run flats) has the tire pressure indicator light come on occasionally even though the pressure is fine. I have come up with theory (until I visit the dealer) that it has to do with heat. It only seems to happen if it is hot out or sitting on a parking lot during the day.

Anybody have the same experience?
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    Mini yesterday (west coast) and was told that regardless of S or non-S, the wait would be three months, and they had none on the lot at all except a couple for demo drives. Was told "the advantage of this is that you can order the car exactly the way you want it". That was at Mini of Concord (SF area).

Isn't the tire-monitoring system merely a computer chip monitoring the ABS/traction systems to check for pressure differentials? So even if one tire is too HIGH it will trigger the system. Make sure they are all the same pressure as each other.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

Some cars have problems with the tire light so if yours is coming on intermittently and the pressure is fine, you might want to take it to your dealer just in case.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,936
    ok, so only if you don't like what's sitting on the lot. Gotcha.
    If they have that many sitting there, I'm really surprised the wait is so long. Guess folks are pickier than I suspected.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

I don't believe, though it may change for '04 an Alarm is standard on any of the cars, but as of '03 models, a dealer kit is available, its a few hundred dollars, I can't remember exactly what, and the installation cost varies depending on the labor rate of course.

Call your dealer and ask, they should know about it. It includes an interior motion sensor, a tilt sensor (in case someone tries to tow the car) and adds a blinking LED to the end of the stalks. Its probably also on MINIs site.

MINI expects the cars to be ordered, unlike most other brands, the point is you get a car to your exact specifications. With the amount of options, its not a case of being picky, its just because you can. Most people buying MINIs don't need a car this weekend, so they take the time to get exactly what they want. Its also more profitable for MINI of course, because not keeping cars in inventory saves money. Most of the cars on the lot are ones people ordered then backed out of.
    Just check with the dealer is coast 550.00 but they said you can install any brand you like from the afermarket due this for security and it would't spoil the warranty. Is 550.00 too much?
    any idea how much for the aftermarket?
  • t33t33 Member Posts: 5
    I am just joining all of you and wondering a few things regarding the Cooper S...

1) I am trying to decide whether or not to add the DSC. I'll be driving in rain, snow and sleet. Seems like past posts indicate differing opinions. What are your current ones?

2) They offer All-Season Run Flats; do you change these tires for snow tires? I thought the purpose of All-Season tires was their ability to do well in all kinds of weather. What did I miss?

3) Has anyone installed the Invisishield. Looks really neat. Wondering if it works, if the glue does any damage to the car, if it's worth the price.

4) For anyone who has the leatherette seats, how do you like them? They seem like they would make you a bit sweaty. What are the cloth seats like?

I appreciate any words of wisdom. I can see pros and cons to many of these items and would appreciate taking into account real world experiences.
    1. I have ASC+T, not DSC but I find it to be very useful, especially when the roads are slippery. I find it does a good job of controlling wheelspin without being intrusive. I've experimented with turning it off but this just means more wheelspin most of the time. In the dry it is sometimes better to turn it off but even there I find when it is cutting in, I really should back off the throttle.

2. All season tires should really be call no season tires IMO. They are best in no situation, OK in most. Performance all-seasons particularly are a joke in serious snow. I chose to get performance summers for summer and winters for winter so I get the best traction in all conditions.

3. I don't have an invincashield but I do have some rock chips...

4. I really like the leatherette seats. They do make you sweat a little on the hottest days but not much more than real leather or even cloth. Plus, with AC for summer and seat heaters for winter, you can deal with the sticky afternoons and cold mornings.
    From some kind of imformation said the Run-flat which with cooper S is too hard to get a impact and it too much noice. When there is a tight corner is not good enough than a orignal air support tires. the only good thing is you can run more until you find station. Due to the S is no spare tire will you take the risk to go back to some air support tires? Any body can give me some advise, please!
    I been reading some other brand of forums such as Luxus SC430 they all came with run-flat but the owner 90% will change back to regular tires when their factory run-flat retire, they claim the run-flat is too much noice and not comfortable to ride and they willing to take a tire repair kits in their trunk.
    I find the runflats corner well. I'm not sure where that rumour comes from. R compound racing tires have stiff sidewalls for good cornering and runflats give you that too. They handle differently as they don't flex much but this is different, not worse.

With the exception of the 17" Goodyear RSA tires, they aren't even as heavy as many people say compared to non-runflat tires, perhaps a pound or two heavier each, not double the weight as some suggest.

The ride is a bit harsher but not as much as people say. Test drive 15" and 16" shod Coopers, the latter which comes with runflats, and see for yourself.

Once they've worn a fair bit, both my Goodyear Eagle summers and my Dunlop WinterSport snows (both runflats) are noisy but most tires I've owned have become noisier with wear. The Goodyears are really getting worn now and may be on their last legs (not sure it'll be worth putting them on next summer as I doubt they'll last the season before going completely bald) and they are fairly noisy, especially on rough pavement, but I can still hear the fan on its lowest setting so they aren't as bad as some others I've had (Firestone Affinity, just awful).

I have a Cooper which could accommodate a spare but I like the runflats and will be replacing them with runflats when the time comes.
    I know someone who bought the kit for the alarm and installed it themselves, it cost $300, but that was due to some dealers offering discounts on parts. $550 seems a smidge high, but not too much, and it'll be better integrated then your average alarm, which would probably cost $200 or so in parts plus install. Up to you really, see how much your insurance will go down with the alarm. Installing another brand could get you in hot water if the dealer doesn't do it though, so be careful, MINIs very picky about warranty and if someone cuts the wrong wire, it'd be a pain to fix.

You get traction control standard on the S, I haven't driven with DSC so I can't offer any help, I never felt that the car was unsafe without it in rain sleet and snow, and in snow especially the car would slide a bit but always controllable, I'm not sure that'd get defeated with DSC. You can always turn DSC off though, but that'd also remove ASC. I'd be inclined to get DSC if you don't expect to drive at the limit where it might get in the way.

I fully agree with Hpulley, all-seasons are a bad idea if you expect to get actual snow. Just spend the money on a cheap set of alloy rims and snows and you'll be happier in the long run, and you can run performance summer tires. I can only think all seasons would be good for somewhere that gets snow once or twice a year, and they're killing your summer performance while doing that.

I don't know how you'd know if the glue did any damage to the car until you removed it... which is probably not common on invisishield, but it does protect from chips from the installs I've seen. Of course its best done by someone who has previously done a MINI so they know what they're doing.

I had leather seats, no help on that discussion, sorry. (They were nice, not sure if they were worth $1200 though)
  • andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,390
    that high performance all-season tires function fairly well on dry pavement and in moderately snowy conditions. If you plan on cornering with the door handles scraping the ground you should get regular performance tires tho. No doubt a lot of Minis will be driven that way.

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

I made a stop on the dunlop summer tires (16" size) on a slightly icy road, from about 15mph. I skidded, with ABS going about 10 feet. After that I decided very quickly I was getting snow tires, until then I wasn't sure.

The summer tires are downright dangerous. The snows I got (blizzak ws-50's) allowed me to easily go through all snow and ice as long as it wasn't much deeper then 5" since snow plowing with a MINI doesn't work well. I drove through at least 10 storms with the snows and never once felt like the car was out of control. SUV's were busy piling up like flies on the side of the road with all-seasons on though, so while driving style has something to do with it, I was very much in better shape then they were.
  • yes22yes22 Member Posts: 6
    Hi! I am about to shop around for MINI, I read message posted by NYMINI about a $500 discount from the dealer he ordered from.

Can you tell me which dealer gives out discount? A million thanks. (Just want to feel better if I don't have to pay MSRP :>)
  • t33t33 Member Posts: 5
    If anyone is aware of a dealer in the Philadephia region, would you please let me know?

I would also be interested in a dealer who would at least include the mats for no extra charge. When I asked this of one salesman, what I was told is that the sales force is all salary. There isn't a large markup on the cars so it's like Saturn in that here's the price - there's no room to haggle. As far as including accessories to help the buyer feel like they're getting some sort of break, that's where the sales force gets a commission so they're not going to just give that away. The salesman made a big deal about how the sales force was told to give the owner's friends the best customer service but the price is the price.

My initial reaction is to think that I'm being told a "story" but I figured I might as well ask if anyone can confirm this.
  • kagedudekagedude Member Posts: 407
    Hi, my brother has the 2003 Mini Cooper S and is convincing me to buy a Mini too. I'm looking into buying the 2004 Mini Cooper Base with the premium and Cold pkg, DSC, R85 17inch wheels, spoiler, dim lights and audio upgrade. Now, I will be using this as a commuter car and I drive about 30K miles a year. Any commuters out there? Can this car hack the rigors of everyday driving or is it just a weekend car? My bro is no help as he babies his mini and keeps it in the garage all the time. Thanks.
    I commute my MINI daily (40 miles) and rally it on some weekends (winter especially, I love snow driving) and so far aside from a wheel alignment and recently some new wiper blades it has held up really well in the wear department (it has had some quality issues but mine is an '02 and current ones are supposed to be better -- service under warranty has been excellent at least). If you drive it hard it eats tires but if you don't drift and squeal too much they'll probably last longer.

Up to now mine hasn't been garaged so it has also been through some winter. Only real problem there is the glass isn't that hard. Road sand caught in ice under the scraper causes some scratches like I've never seen so be careful when ice scraping or use the defrost options instead and be patient.
    People say the ride is quite stiff and harsh.
    ...get a Buick. The MINI handles well and it shows. Will it loosen your fillings? No. Can you feel the road? Yes, and to me that's a good thing.
    Ok, so why did your salesman say 'we're salaried' then say well we can't give you a discount, because that's where we make commission. So then they're not entirely salaried.

Anyway, If you want cheap floor mats, a few dealers sell parts as a discount (as much as 30% depending on the item and its markup) so you can just call one of them and get the floormats for less then $100.. I do know however if you have the option of going to another dealer, you have more bargaining room, just get a price quote from another dealer, even if its an hour or two away, and see if you can make them fight. You're in more of a problem when you're somewhere with only one close dealer.

I doubt the salespeople I've dealt with are not commision based on the cars, they always seem to not mention it, and no one ever said the price wasn't negociable, like saturn (BMWs certainly have negociable prices on less popular models), its just demand says there's waiting lists at MSRP, so why should you pay less. Your salesman is making up excuses (and poor ones at that) on why you should pay MSRP. I don't except you can get a discount (check the residual values, paying MSRP is a good thing, unlike horribly supplemented cars whose value drops like a rock)
    Thanks for the info. How many miles do you have on your mini btw and how often did you have to bring it back to the dealer then? Was it for quick fixes? I do hope that the 04 is a lot better as I don't have that many vacation days. =) Also, do you have the harmon kardon setup? Somebody told me its 300 watts. The standard audio is okay but doesn't have much bass. I can definitely hack the mini. I drove it from NYC to Boston and back (500 mile trip). Its a fun ride. Going over bumps is kinda like being on a body board going over a wave.
    I got a 03 Cooper for a commuter car and play toy, only option needed for me was the color (Indi Blue). I put a 100 miles a day, this car can take it and then some. I have 10500 miles so far and only trip to the dealer is for the free scheduled service included with the Mini. No problems no complaints.

GO FOR IT !

Let's Motor!
    Great. I can't wait to test drive a base cooper this weekend. Thanks everyone for the advice.
    I have over 20K miles on my '02 MINI thus far.

Most of the problems were quick fixes like back of driver's seat trim popping off and topping off the coolant (seems like there were air pockets from the factory as it wasn't leaking but went down in level a couple of times) but April I needed a new tranny and the doors and windows started acting Christine-like so the car was off the road for a while for a new gearbox and electronics. They gave me a rental all that time but it still wasn't fun driving Ford Windstar, Taurus and Protege cars. Anyways, getting back into the car after the repairs made it all OK again.

I haven't heard of any recent cars having those troubles. There were some recalls on the original 5-speed tranny and on the seals to some of the electricals which got wet and corroded on my car (that recall wasn't done here for some unfortunate reason) -- hopefully they're sealed right from the factory now. Enjoy your testdrive and let us know.

Mine is also IndiBlue, Ray. Great choice ;-)
  • eman5eman5 Member Posts: 110
    Any opinions?
This discussion has been closed.