Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

MINI Cooper

Comments

• crunchcrunch Member Posts: 84
    I would agree with what you have heard. I would say that my MCS clutch begins to engage about 1/4 the way up, or very near the floor. It was easy to adapt to though.
    I paid close attention the the clutch on the drive home yesterday and indeed, the first engagement is felt after about 1/4 to 1/3 of the travel. In addition, the total travel is quite short, which further enhanced the early engagement sensation.
  • rayt2rayt2 Member Posts: 1,208
    Car & Driver mag just did a follow up article on their long term 2003 Mini S. It was very positive and boads well for reliability factor on our cars. Should reverse what Consumer Reports said about reliabilty issue.

Homestead-Miami Speedway this weekend for Grand Am Cup racing will be televised Saturday @10 p.m. on Speedchannel http://www.speedtv.com/programs/122/

Tony Nuzzo http://www.nuzzomotorsports.com will be competing with their two MCS's. He set a new track record with his Mini S in March of this year. Should be a good race to watch if your into it.....

Akitadog: The clutch is also hydraulic assist and there is no adjustment according to service tech comments.
    Action takes a little getting used to but no different than any other manual trans. set up. Once you learn it, it becomes natural.

Keep on Motoring....

Ray T.
  • shelby62shelby62 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a MC through Mini of the Hamptons, using email and telephone. Great experience and no markup. I was living in New Mexico at the time and paid $500 to have it delivered. Took about two months from order to delivery. Nice, because you customize the car your way.

Larry
  • doodlesdoodles Member Posts: 2
    I am 25 years old and coming to the point where I need to consider the possibility of a new car. I have a 1997 Pontiac Sunfire GT that - while it is basically the first car I've ever had and I have loved it - is just coming to the point where little things are costing a lot, and it's just not worth it. I love the idea of "small and zippy," not to mention fuel efficient. That said, I've been obsessed with the notion of a Mini since they first came back, and now that my neighbor has just gotten an 05 MCS convertible, it's sooo tempting!
    But I need some practical advice from those with experience. My father insists that I should get a larger car (think Grand Am GT since he's a dyed-in-the-wool Pontiac fan) to consider the possibilities of future needs (ie. marriage, kids, etc.). Frankly, I rarely ever have more than two people in the car, and the most I have ever packed in there was the contents of my dorm room when I was moving during college. Otherwise it's just groceries and the occasional trip to Target.
    So, if any of you have/had a daughter in my situation, what would you recommend?
    (PS - I have always pretty much considered an MC due to frugality, but I would definitely prefer the performance and character of the MCS!)
    Thanks for any and all advice!
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    Welcome! I'm sure the members here can give you plenty of advice on their experience with the MINI.

As for the "room" issue - my theory is get a car you LIKE and want to drive everyday. Don't buy a car for more room than you need regularly. You can always rent or borrow a friend's car for a "big job" (moving, the big home/apartment repair job stuff from Home Depot, etc.)

Good luck!
    Ok, a few random thoughts from a person that has both a MINI and a MCS.

If the MINI isn’t big enough, the Grand Am isn't much, if any, better. At least the MINI is a hatch and with the seats down will hold a larger package than will fit in the Grand Am trunk. Grand Am 14.2 cu. ft. MINI 24 cu. ft. cargo space.

If you really need a bigger car later on in your life, (assuming that your spouse doesn’t come complete with an SUV) the MINI should have a far better resale value than a Grand Am. (we're talking MAJOR depreciation here for the Grand Am).

The MINI is a safe car; its scores are as good or better than the Grand Am.
    The MINI is a rare car: Grand Am NOT!
    The MINI is FUN car; Grand Am ?
    The MINI includes full maintenance for the first 36,000 miles; Grand Am doesn't.
    The MINI warranty is longer.
    The MINI gas mileage should be better than the Grand Am.

Compared to the standard MINI, the MCS is faster, insurance is higher, uses more gas, handles better (but this depends on how the standard MINI is equipped), cost more, is more 'sport' oriented and no automatic available until after Jan 05.
  • micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    isn't the best alternative comparison. For example, compare MINI to the various Golf and Jettas. Or compare MINI to the new G6 replacement for the Grand Am, which is based on the Saab platform...

MINI is like Miata, you either like it or you don't. I still like it a lot, although I opted to go with a 4 door VW Golf instead of the MINI I ordered. At the end of the day, when they come out with a MAXI MINI (the size of a Golf or Focus) I'll grab one, but right now they look too small except for really urban environments where parking is scarce.
  • exzurexzur Member Posts: 166
    Yes! If price is no object. However, if you do your homework, you may acquire the Grand Am at much, much, much less dollars than you could think of.

Not so fast. Test drive the Grand Am and the MINI first. What you read may not be that accurate at all.

Since 2004 is the last year of the Grand Am, GM is offering huge incentives or discounts on this car.

Find out first, how much it would cost to acquire each car. Of course, if you spend more, you should get more, but valuewise or bang for the buck, you may be better off with the Grand Am.
    I drive MINIs everyday and I frequently drive Grand Am rental cars. There is no comparison between the two, really. The only reason I tried was because the original post did so. No matter how good the deal, you will still loose a lot on the Grand Am. If this is the last year then it is a definite 'don't go there' item.
    Finally, if it gets down to a money issue 'bang for the buck', the MINI is NOT an economy car so it probably won't make the cut.
  • doodlesdoodles Member Posts: 2
    Thanks, everyone, for your feedback! I really do not see myself in a Grand Am regardless, I was just trying to give an idea of the advice I have been given based on size. I am not necessarily looking for an "economy" car per se. One main objective IS to decide on something that will hold its value (I definitely have the opposite right now and would rather not repeat). I suppose that it will come down to some test drives. I like a stiffer ride as opposed to something like, say, a Civic. I have also considered the VW GTI. But the Mini has my heart for now. It's not so easy to look at the big picture, think ahead, and not settle! Thanks again!
    Good Luck with your quest. A MINI can be configured in many ways so its pretty easy to get just what you want. Sounds like you're leaning toward the MINI.
    You should take the test drive. It will really help you decide it a MINI if right for you.
  • akitadogakitadog Member Posts: 117
    You know, if you're intent on a hatchback (Mini or GTI), don't rule out the new Mazda 3 hatchback. It's got killer looks and good power, and doesn't command the premium that VW asks for the GTI (overpriced IMO, considering recent quality issues). You should even look at the Focus hatchback. If you're looking for good quality and good resale, try the Scion TC.
    As for me, I intend to place my order for an MCS around the end of the year. But, believe me, I've considered all the above-mentioned alternatives.
    Quote: "the MINI is NOT an economy car so it probably won't make the cut."

But, the MINI has the attributes of an economy car, skinny tires, weak engine, and excellent gas mileage.

If the MINI is not an economy car. Is it a sport car???
    If you follow MINI advertising, they never refer to it as an economy car. It's been classified as a 'Premium Compact'. It can be ordered with many options not generally found on an economy car: Nav system, DSC, Xenon lamps, auto air, satellite receiver and leather to name a few. Once added, the car is no longer inexpensive.

The MINI isn't in the excellent gas mileage group either. If you trust the mini on-board computer, it looks good but if you calc on actual miles and gallons used, it isn't as good. Our MINI CVT averages 26 in around town driving, my MCS about 22. The on-board computer says 28 and 25 respectively. All MINIs require 91 octane premium fuel which adds a few bucks per year to the gas budget. I'm sure that any Toyota gets better mileage than a MINI. My previous Cadillac DeVille got better mileage than my MCS
    The MINI is not and was never intended to be a car for the masses. Ford probably sells more Focus(s) in two months as the total MINI output to date. (about 500,000).

Because demand exceeds supply, you either wait for one you order and pay MSRP or pay over MSRP for one thats readily available. Paying less than MSRP just doesn't happen (unless your brother is a dealer) The resale value is also higher because of this.

Neither of my MINIs have 'skinny tires' MC-175/65/15, MCS - 205/45/17
    The engine isn't all that weak but, yes, the basic MINI is no drag racer. Because of low torque, it doesn't get moving all that fast. Once rolling, no problems though. The MCS has more than enough power.
    Sports Car? Yea, probably. If you check your local SCCA auto-x or solo results you will most likely find MINIs beating a lot of 'sports cars'.

btw, I don't need to be told that I am a MINI fanatic - I freely admit it. I've had lots of cars in the past 35 years but none as fun to drive and own as the MINI.

Sorry for the long response but I feel that comparing the MINI to other cars is really difficult because of its unique characteristics.
    Its really a love/hate thing like the Honda Element. If you don't love it, you won't buy it.
    Pricewise, I am comparing the GrandAm 2 dr Coupe GT to the base MINI. The starting MSRP of the MINI is $16,449. The other car, $22,280. Due to the GM discounts, the GrandAm may be bought cheaper than the base MINI.

The MINI's 4 cyl engine has 115 hp at 6,000 rpm, torque is 110 ft. lbs at 4,500 rpm. GrandAm 2dr Coupe GT V6 engine can produce 175 hp at 4,800 rpm, torque is 205 at 4,000 rpm. The MINI's tire is 175-65-15. GrandAm has 205-50-VR16.

The GrandAm is no economy car either. I visited cars.com and compare these two cars, the GrandAm 2dr GT coupe appears to be more of a sports car than the base MINI.

IMO, why the MINI's demand is high is due to its limited production. IF BMW will produce the same number of MINIs as the HONDA Civics or Toyota Corollas, I think, many MINI's would be sitting on dealer's lot.
    Unfair comparison. Compare the GA/GT to the MCS. The base GA to the MC.
    IMHO this comparison, any way you do it, is ridiculous. I don't think I would get along with someone who seriously thought the two were close enough to compare.
  • duckyjduckyj Member Posts: 1
    I've been flirting with buying a MCS ever since driving a friends a year ago. I dropped by the dealer yesterday and someone had just backed out of an order that had all of the options I am interested in, with one exception. The car has all of the sport package options minus the 17in wheels. Since ordering the remaining parts of the sport package separately cost as much as the whole sport package it must have been intentional. Does anyone know why someone would prefer the 16in tires over the 17's? I am considering asking the dealer to add the 17's when I buy. Thanks
    If my budget is only $18,000. How could I opt for the MCS which could cost up to $25,000.

That's why it make sense to me to compare the GA/GT to the base MINI. Both sporty cars can be had for 18 grand, more or less.
    Is everything you purchase based solely on the cost?
    I can only think that they had ride smoothness in mind.
    Each one inch increase in wheel diameter is offset by a decrease in the sidewall height of the tire. Since the MINI is delivered with run-flats, those sidewalls are very stiff so the 16s offer a bit softer ride than the 17s. The 16s are also less susceptible to pothole damage etc. I have the 17s on my MCS (and other aftermarket mods)and the ride is a bit harsh on bad pavement. My wife's MC has the 15s with conventional tires and the ride is night and day different.
  • markjennmarkjenn Member Posts: 1,142
    crunch is correct. Most think the 16-inchs ride much better than the 17's both for the sidewall height issue and the fact the 17's are much heavier, both wheel and tire.

Many think the stock 16 inch package is the best overall compromise between having a crisp handling car and a tolerable ride. In fact, on rough surfaces, the 16's probably handle AND ride better - on my 17's the tires are very skittery on rough pavement which causes the traction control to kick in regularly when powering out of turns with broken pavement.

Ditching the runflats for regular tires helps a lot too.

- Mark
    No. However, which makes more sense, comparing an $18,000 GA/GT 2 dr coupe to a $25,000 MCS or to the equally affordable $18,000 base MC???

The MC, the MCS and the GA/GT 2dr coupe are sporty cars, though the MC has the attributes of an economy car, due to its skinny tires, weak engine and excellent mpg.
    I guess I wasn't clear before. Comparing any GA to any MC regardless of price doesn't make sense to me.
    I think that this horse is dead, lets move on.
  • blackhatblackhat Member Posts: 34
    Hi, everyone.

I've read online that the Cooper will be available in "hyper blue" in '05..... although it is not included on the "build your own" feature on miniusa.com at the moment as a Cooper color.

Can someone either refute or confirm this rumor for me?

I'd been setting my sites on a convertible in "cool blue", but the reality is that I'll have to "settle"(ha!) for a Cooper hard top next year... and Mini has befuddled me with their choices of colors for '05 Coopers (no blue???). I'm still lamenting the demise of "silk green"... and "velvet red" was cool, too.

Has anyone seen the new "purple haze" color in-person? Some pics I've seen, taken in the shade, make it look like a very dark blue - which would have been great(!)... while other more well-lit pics make it appear rather purple, indeed. I might have considered "purple haze", but I'm not so sure if I could drive a purple car for very long.

Thanks!
    Jim
    There was a purple haze MCS in the showroom at my dealer on Monday. Under the showroom lights, it was unmistakably purple. It also had white top and wheels. Not for me but my wife loved it!
    Hmmmm.... Thanks for the on-the-scene report!

Not sure if I can do purple. If I DID choose purple haze, I'd have to get chrome mirror caps and a black top. But, then I'd lose the cool contrast effect.

Did you happen to see an "astro black" in that showroom? I heard it described as a "deep blue-black"(???).

I guess I need to do some color scouting of my own this weekend!
  • ozonecatozonecat Member Posts: 9
    If you want to see Hyper Blue online you need to go back to minusa.com. Hyper Blue is only offered on the MCS and MCSC, that's probably why you didn't see it.
    Thanks. I was reading somewhere that it MIGHT be offered for the Cooper later on in '05. Either way...

I think I know what I'm going to get. I was bent on having a COLOR... but, I believe I am going to get an "astro black" with white roof and racing striped... and checkered sun roof graphic!

My girlfried and I were out driving, and we saw a very cool silver Mini with black racing stripes and a checkered roof. I was so impressed with the checkered roof that I decided I'll do it. Of course, with a sunroof, you can't have the checkered roof. But those clever folks at Mini offer the checkered sunroof option.

I saw a "purple haze" Mini earlier today - got out of my car to have a look in the lot of my local Mini dealership. It's a cool color, but not for me. If Mini had gone with a "midnight blue" or something more like that "marlin blue" that VW has offered in the past for some of their cars, I'd have gone with that. But, they did a purple instead of a blue for the Cooper for 2005.... :-/
  • cct1cct1 Member Posts: 221
    Hyper Blue should be available for the Cooper after January 1, 2005.

I agree with you--BEP is just too purple; Astro Black also is a variant of blue, but is very, very dark. The Hyper Blue is very nice though, and worth the wait IMHO (I'm getting an S in hyperblue in the spring).
  • sparkrsparkr Member Posts: 2
    Just a quick comment that I saw a Purple Haze MINI the other day in bright sunlight, and it is most definitely purple. The color sample inside the dealership looked more navy blue, but there ain't no doubt about it outdoors. The UK name for the color, Black-eye Blue (Purple?), is actually more descriptive if a little ghastly.

The Cool Blue color is very pretty -- sort of grayish-bluish. It's not available for the Cooper, though, and I ordered British Racing Green, which I've always loved.
  • midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Member Posts: 1,978
    WE went driving cars last weekend and my conservative wife really liked the 6-speed Mini-Cooper S convertible. Life is GOOD!

Doese the engine have a timing chain or a timing belt ?

Thanks,

MidCow
    They have a chain, no a belt. You can see it here:
    http://www.bentleypublishers.com/gallery.htm?code=mc04&seqnum- =4
  • minimeminime Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking into an Automatic MCS. My dealer is taking pre-orders now for them. Before I put any money down though I plan to get all the fees in writing so I know what I'm dealing with.

Wish there was a way to get the car below MSRP.

Oh, and it'll be Hyper Blue if I get it.

Any tips for a prospective buyer...aside from the typical Edmunds stuff?
  • andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,389
    You bring up a point, doodles. I for one don't understand why the optional flag designs for MC/MCS roofs don't bleed over to the edges of the roof.

IIRC back in the day, these designs covered the entire roof leaving no "white space" at the edges which looks much better IMO.

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

Work up your order form on MiniUSA website and walk into dealer with it. There won't be any discounts or bargain hunting since law of supply and demand rules. I would not pay above msrp if the dealer trys that route.
    Enjoy your Mini if you do go thru with order.

2003 Cooper, 42,000 miles and lov'in every drive in it......

Ray T.
  • maxwell2maxwell2 Member Posts: 2
    I have just seen the old movie "Italian Job" and was intrigued by the MINI Cooper( as well as Charlize Theron). I know why I liked Charlize, but what's to like about the MINI Cooper? Is it handling,zip or what?
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,933
    The "old movie" with charlize theron? THAT version in only came out last year, and she definitely wasn't in the "old" version that came out in '69. Just FYI.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• maxwell2maxwell2 Member Posts: 2
    OK! I thought it was an old movie, but how about the question? Why a MINI? I'm not trying to be facitious. I'd really like to know what people see in the MINI Cooper.
  • michaellnomichaellno Member Posts: 4,120
    The "old movie" qbrozen refers to is the original "The Italian Job" starring Michael Caine. It's set in Italy (duh!) and the crooks use the "original" Mini Coopers to navigate the terrible Italian traffic.

In homage to that movie, the "new" movie (starring Charlize Theron among others), uses the new Mini Coopers as well. Which, if you've ever been stuck in LA traffic, you'll understand!
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,933
    well, i didn't think i was qualified to answer the question since I don't own one. But, I guess I can say why I would LIKE to own one. Its as simple as you stated in your original question. Handling and maneuverability. Not to mention its damned cool looking.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

I have been wanting a Cooper S since before they came to the US. I saw one in Florence, Italy and fell in love. I think some people want Minis for nostalgic reasons, they may have owned or wanted one of the originals. Others want them for practical reasons. They have great to good fuel mileage and can fit in any parking spot (Good for city dwellers). And others just want something unique, sporty and stylish, and not what everyone else has (Accords, Corollas, etc. Yawn). Then there are the anti-SUV crowd, who buy them to make the ultimate "size" statement. Then there are the majority of owners or wannabe owners who, like me, want Minis for all those reasons combined!
    I'll be ordering my Cooper S by spring of next year. It'll be a second car, as I'll keep my Olds Intrigue for heavier-duty purposes. Motor On!
    FYI, the "S" and convertible will also be offering locking differential on 2005 models from what I have read, a must I think for these cars. Iv'e had my Cooper for 19 months and put 43k miles on to date. It makes the daily 100 mile commute much easier to deal with over those humdrum Honda's, Toyota's, Nissan's. The Mini has class and fun factor built into it. It gets 33 mpg cruising at 70 mph. Only down side is the premium gas requirement, but working close to New Jersey where the gas prices on average are 20 cents/gal. cheaper makes up for the premium cost IMO.

As the slogan says.........Let's Motor !

Ray T
  • dcx54dcx54 Member Posts: 2
    Ray

Your insight is very helpful. I have a similar commute to yours – 100miles roundtrip from NYC to Jersey. I'm in the market for a mini and to hear that reliability is not a concern is very reassuring.

I do have a question about how the mini holds up in the snow though? I’m thinking of the Cooper S

Thanks
  • dcx54dcx54 Member Posts: 2
    Anyone have comments about how the mini handles in the Snow?

I'm thinking of buying an '05 - i commute 100 miles.

DC
    Go to "post 111, in Prices Paid/Buying Experiences I posted the handling in snow info there guys......

Ray T.
  • spideyspidey Member Posts: 12
    Living in L.A., I've come to admire the Cooper for its size. Unfortunately "The Italian Job" has been on television lately, so it's becoming an obsession. I finally tested one today and was amazed on the handling.

I'm sold on it, but already getting flack from friends saying that it's not the most manly auto around. Well, these are people driving Monteros and Grand Cherokees, so I'm taking it with a grain of salt.

I ordered a Cooper S that will get here about the time a Democrat will get in office, but there is a MCS close to my specs at a dealer, but I'm not doing the MSRP+ route.

Here's my question, MCS or Land Rover Freelander SE3 (current car)?
    Well Spidey,

Since you're talking about two completely different types of vehicles, the answer isn't as simple as the question. The MCS is loads of fun and much more practical in terms of gas (much less $$$) and parking and has a huge coolness factor (especially with the bonnet stripes). The SE3 is more practical in terms of cargo space, people hauling, and some would argue crash safety (although Coopers lead their segment in passive safety).

Downside to the Cooper S would be using the manual tranny in L.A. traffic, which would be a real labor of love. Downside to the SE3 is, like with any other SUV, the huge, frequent, fill-up bill.

Consider getting the MCS, and if you can hack it, sell the SE3 and get some kind of workhorse vehicle for those times you need the cargo space, or are heading into snowy climes. You can almost steal a used GM sedan with just a few thousand miles on the dial.

I'll be ordering my MCS shortly and plan on keeping my 6 yr. old Olds Intrigue for the wintertime and for cargo duty.
  • spideyspidey Member Posts: 12
    Absolutely correct you are, they are two totally different automobiles. For the last 5 years, I've mostly had SUVs. Time for a change.

There's a Grand Cherokee in the family, which is the current dog carrier, DIY hauler, etc. The MCS would be deemed the city dweller as well as the road tripster. As long as I can stuff my 6'3" bud in the passenger seat, there will be a black/white roofed MCS in my garage very soon.

BTW, snow is not a deal here in Los Angeles. For the rainy days, I think I'll stick with all-season rubber. And the Mini has side airbags, something the Freelander does not have.

I'll let you know if/when I get it.
  • dutch27dutch27 Member Posts: 2
    Just came home with a '05 MCS w/ sport package....what a car!!! Tell me what other car has 'puddle lights' in the door or washes the headlights for you....for under $26K!! I think I'll trade in my MB E320...the MCS has much more to offer. By the way, I'm 6'4" and I fit very well in both the front passenger seat (maybe one day my wife will let me drive it)...Happy New Owner
This discussion has been closed.