Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

MINI Cooper

Comments

• Options
    pinkhazepinkhaze Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I just bought a new 2007 Cooper 2 days ago. The engine is ~really~ noisy and you can practially hear it revving up everytime you hit the gas pedal...no matter what speed you're on.
    I'm pretty concerned. Is this a new car thing? Or is it a MINI thing? I don't remember it being so noisy on my test drives.

Please share your thoughts! Thanks.
  • Options
    bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    The new Mini is more noisy than the old one, especially if you have the new 6-speed steptronic. The engine sound is also not as pleasing as the old one. On the plus side, it is markedly more fuel efficient. We're getting 15 - 20% better mpg on our '07, compared to our previous '05.
  • Options
    plazomaticplazomatic Member Posts: 2
    The Car: 2008 MINI Cooper S (Lightning Blue/Black Roof) with John Cooper Works Engine Tuning Kit (intake, exhaust, engine software), Premium Package, Convenience Package, Cold Weather Package, Sport Suspension, LSD, DSC, Navigation, Carbon Punch Leather, Anthracite Headliner, Brushed Aluminum Trim, Chrome Line Interior, Sirius

Highs: Punchy acceleration, wonderful steering feel, low weight, go-kart handling, fantastic fuel economy, solid build, great engine/exhaust sound

Lows: Runflats, torque steer, seat adjustment difficulty, rear seat room, rear seat ingress/egress, no spare

-------------------------

The "C" word

The Cooper S' exterior does have some sporty flourishes to it, but basically I've just had to come to terms with the fact that this car is, in a word, cute. I wish it was a little less cute, with a little more "mean" in its appearance, but well, it isn't. It isn't a car that makes anyone have fear when they see it in their rearview... they're far more likely to smile. I'm secure enough in my manhood to accept that.

Once settling into that reality, you also notice the benefits. People are far more likely to let you merge or change lanes, fellow MINI owners wave to you, pedestrians grin and give you thumbs ups, and you no longer get the feeling that people immediately assume you're some sort of prick or rich a-hole... the de rigeur feeling you have when driving a BMW, Benz, or a sports/sporty car.

Fooling them all

But you also feel like you're putting one over on all those people, on two fronts. Firstly, on the inside, the MINI really does feel like an upscale vehicle. The plastics are soft for the most part, the build quality is excellent, and the car just has that solid, chunky stiff-chassis feel common to all BMW products. Switchgear feels substantial, not flimsy. It all gives the car an overall feel that truly justifies its categorization as a "premium" compact. There's just no comparison to other cars in its size class... the Fits and Yarises of the world cannot even begin to compete in this regard. The MCS' interior feel is actually very reminiscent to me of my old E46, quirky design themes notwithstanding. This is not a modern Chevette. It's a little BMW, and it feels like it.

The second front on which you feel like you're deceiving the outside observer is in the world of handling dynamics and the overall driving experience. This car, torque steer notwithstanding, is a total blast to drive. The 1.6L BMW/Peugeot turbo powerplant is really a gem. With peak torque being reached as low as 1700 rpm, the power is ample. You never feel like the car is underpowered or can't get out of its own way, like a typical compact/subcompact hatch. Turbo lag is non-existant. Grunt is always available, even when in the wrong gear (within reason).

Handles like Rollie Fingers

Both the limited-slip differential and DSC help get the power to the ground with a minimum of drama. There is some tugging at the wheel, unavoidable in any front wheel drive car, but it's entirely predictable, and once acclimated to it, essentially a non-issue. Of course I wish it wasn't there, but it's totally livable. I've found that disabling DSC really minimizes the tugging, but with it disabled, great care is required in throttle application, as the power can easily break the wheels free in 1st and 2nd. I suspect that the LSD actually increases the frequency with which there's a bit of tugging, but decreases its intensity. You can really feel the LSD doing its job, as it gently tries to find traction equilibrium. Without it, I suspect the car would perceptually pull toward one side or the other less frequently, but much harder.

The lightness of the car, torque curve, and the amount of engine/exhaust sound that's let into the cabin (enhanced by the JCW intake/exhaust), really convey a visceral thrill on acceleration. I think it's probably a 6-second-ish 0-60 car, but it feels faster. Let's face reality... for typical suburb/interstate/city driving, that's more than sufficient power. With the sound and feel, it makes the daily commute a total hoot. The combination of the stiff chassis and wheels pushed all the way out to the extreme corners of the car enhance the go-kart feel exponentially. This car makes mundane drives a ton of fun. A great recipe for a daily driver.

Steering feel is excellent, though it's mandatory that the "sport" button be pressed immediately upon starting her up. Without it, the steering is far too light... it's kind of like the difference between a 2001 and a 2002 E46... maybe grandma would prefer the button off while parking at the A&P, but the weight and tightness of the steering when the button is engaged is right for everything else.

On sweepers, there's some gentle understeer that comes on predictably when pushed, but a little lift or a gentle tap on the brake lightens the rear nicely, allowing a bit of rotation. It's a much easier balancing act with this car than I've experienced with other front drivers. I'm sure all of this will feel much better still once I switch from the crappy all-season runflats that came with the car (Conti 195/55/R16s on MINI 16" Bridge Spoke wheels -- my winter setup) to the 215/45/R17 Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3s on 17" Enkei RP03s I bought from TireRack.

Clutch feel is very natural and predictable... the pedal throw is a touch long, but not at all distracting. I don't feel the need for a clutch stop, something that was all but required in my E46. Similarly, the shifter throw is a bit long. The gates are well-defined without being notchy, but the length of the throw is a bit agricultural. Unfortunately, I think an SSK installation on this car is a much bigger hassle than on an E46. I'm not a big fan of the stock shift knob, either -- I have the JCW pistol-type knob on order. These gripes aside, it's an easy car to shift -- I've never missed a shift or wondered what gear I was in. The ratios seem very well spaced, too -- no complaints there -- though the broad torque curve of the engine would help to mask iffy gearing choices, were there any.

I opted for the sport suspension with stiffer dampening and bigger swaybars. This really helps control body roll and brake dive. The ride is a little rough over less-than optimal roads (90% of the roads here in the northeast), but that's a sacrifice I've always been willing to make to avoid any sort of "float." This roughness is another thing I think will be alleviated greatly by switching to non-runflat summer tires with more forgiving sidewalls.

Overall, the handling of the car is simply phenomenal. It's so light and agile, it's easy to do slaloms of dotted yellow lines. Right-angle street turns at speeds that would roll your typical SUV. This car defines "tossable."

Internal Affairs

The sport seats with punch leather are very comfortable and supportive, w
  • Options
    plazomaticplazomatic Member Posts: 2
    with good side bolstering and plenty of adjustments available. That being said, It's all manual (no power/memory seat option available), and regrettably there is no seat cushion angle adjustment. Additionally, trying to adjust the seatback angle or lumbar support is impossible with the center armrest down. I'm really not sure why these adjustments are on the inboard side of the seat. A minor complaint, but annoying nonetheless.

On first glance, the highly-stylized interior would seem to be incredibly ergonomically incorrect. However, once acclimated, everything seems very natural and easy to operate. The cartoonish pie-plate speedometer (whose form:function ratio is substantially improved when opting for the nav system, with its screen in the center) is not really a functional problem at all, as the tach display is easily configured with a couple of stalk button presses to display your speed digitally. The auto climate control works great -- basically identical to the E46, except it only increments/decrements the temp in 2-degree (F) jumps. Big deal.

Visibility is very good, with a large greenhouse, and big mirrors. The one exception is if you have a habit of creeping up too far at intersections with only overhead traffic lights... need to make sure you don't move up so far that you can no longer see the light! Sometimes that's a half a car length behind the stop line.

The in-car electronics, encompassing navigation (w/real-time traffic info), bluetooth phone communications, AM/FM/Satellite radio, USB-based iPod integration, multi-layered OBC with trip computer, in-car settings, and voice commands all work just great. I'm continually impressed with the whole package. Its capabilities are FAR beyond anything I've had in previous cars, and as such I don't have much of a baseline with which to compare them to what other manufacturers offer. But I am thoroughly satisfied with it all, and very happy I bought the Nav option in order to get a reasonably-sized screen with which to operate all these functions. Even though I use the voice commands more than anything else.

The sound is okay. Plenty sufficient for me. I've never been much of an auto-audiophile, though, anyway... a car is just about the worst possible environment for serious music consumption. I've never really understood the obsession with which some approach this subject. Mostly I'm happy to listen to the engine. iPod integration and library navigation is excellent, though, as is the Sirius menu structure... though I wish there were a few more "slots" for Sirius presets.

Miscellany

Parking this car is so easy it's a joke. It fits anywhere, and I can't even begin to comprehend why anyone would bother with the available park distance control option.

My daily driving is pretty much 50% highway and 50% suburbs/city driving, including a daily trek into and out of midtown Manhattan. When safety and traffic permit, I usually drive it like I stole it. Not the best recipe for fuel efficiency. But even so, I'm averaging 30mpg consistently. This is HUGE for me, especially coming from an RX-8 that drank as much as a Hummer. In these days of near $4/gal. gas, this makes me very very happy.

Changing the oil is a fairly easy process with a top-side extractor, with one exception. In order to reach the filter housing, one bolt needs to be removed, so the coolant overflow reservoir can be dismounted and temporarily moved out of the way. Kinda stupid, but not really a big deal at all.

Three thumbs up

I highly recommend this car to anyone who's looking for a fuel efficient yet powerful small car for their daily drive, and especially to those who demand a car that provides a tight-handling, visceral, enthusiast's experience for their daily commute.
  • Options
    blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    I guess it's noisy. Shrug. It's a far more pleasing thing to me to hear an engine after enduring a year in a 2006 BMW 330i that had zero engine noise. One year with my 2007 Cooper S Sunday and I still dig driving it. It's still not as much fun or as boisterous as my 2003 BMW 330i ZHP but it'll get the job done until I have to switch to a bigger car.
  • Options
    waterflamewaterflame Member Posts: 22
    Why do only the Europeans get Hill Assist with their manual transmission MINI's?

Unfair, I say!! :mad:
  • Options
    Um, my 2007 Cooper S has that silly hill-hold feature. Push in the clutch and the car holds for a few seconds. I have no idea what it's for as I occasionally push in my clutch to purposely roll forward a bit.
  • Options
    I assume your car wasn't made for the European market.Did you have to ask for it? The MINI salesperson told me flat out that the hill-assist feature was not available for American markets.

Also,any reason why you think its silly? My stick driving skills are a little rough-edged when it comes to stop-start situations on uphill slopes. I still haven't gotten the hang of letting the clutch out just enough to stop the car from rolling back. I think having this feature would heavily bias me to getting a manual tranny.
  • Options
    busirisbusiris Member Posts: 3,490
    Go to ...

http://www.miniusa.com/?#/learn/FACTS_FEATURES_SPECS/Top_Features-m.

If that doesn't work, go to the MINIUSA web-site and search for "hill hold". Its part of DSC.

Also, get a different salesperson...the one you have spoken with doesn't have a clue...
  • Options
    D'oh! Thanks!
  • Options
    I assume your car wasn't made for the European market.Did you have to ask for it? The MINI salesperson told me flat out that the hill-assist feature was not available for American markets.

Your salesperson is wrong. My car is a 2007 Cooper S and it has the hill hold feature just like my 06 330i.

Also,any reason why you think its silly? My stick driving skills are a little rough-edged when it comes to stop-start situations on uphill slopes. I still haven't gotten the hang of letting the clutch out just enough to stop the car from rolling back. I think having this feature would heavily bias me to getting a manual tranny.

It's on there. Go drive one. Come to a complete stop on a hil, push in the clutch and the car will hold as if the brake were pressed.

I learned to drive on a stick at 10 and my parents had a rule about driving stick on the real roads - you cannot ever roll backward when accelerating from a stop on a hill. You can use the e-brake, slip the clutch or just hit the gas and brake with your right foot while releasing the clutch. Regardless, with a Mini it's got hill hold and a mini dealer should know that.

http://blogs.edmunds.com/roadtests/1842?@@
  • Options
    matt14matt14 Member Posts: 6
    I'm looking at a mini. Don't like the looks of the multifunction steering wheel, but would like a cruise control. Anybody have experience with aftermarket ones?
  • Options
    I thought the cruise control was always there. Doesn't the multi-function steering wheel just put it on the wheel instead of separate stalk like the wiper controls?
  • Options
    cbmortoncbmorton Member Posts: 252
    No, the multifunction wheel is the only way to get factory cruise on the Mini.
  • Options
    zgrrrlzgrrrl Member Posts: 147
    Don't kill me because I am sure the answer is buried 2000 posts ago, and my searches aren't fruitful... is the 2007 Cooper MPG really better than the 2006 on average?

Before I bought my 2006, I considered waiting for the '07 because of this, but went ahead anyway. So, are the '07s paying off in extra MPG savings as expected?

Thanks for your replies.
  • Options
    cbmortoncbmorton Member Posts: 252
    Consensus on other Mini forums seems to be that yes, the 2007+ is noticeably better on fuel than the 2006 and earlier Minis.
  • Options
    "...after enduring a year in a 2006 BMW 330i..."

You make it sound like such a hardship! :surprise:
  • Options
    Our '07 automatic Cooper base probably averages about 10 - 15% better mpg than our previous '05 automatic Cooper base.
  • Options
    I find the e9x BMW's painfully bland. I would have preferred my old 2003 Protege ES to that BMW.
  • Options
    I guess beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. Some of the sedans may not be the sexiest, but the coupes always look nice, especially when shod with the bigger wheels and tires.
  • Options
    To each his own. The 3 series coupes seem like a mistake to me. No longer tightly designed, the e9x coupes seem ungainly and misshapen, as if someone took a Solara and added a few BMW styling cues.
  • Options
    bigred12bigred12 Member Posts: 12
    Does the standard 2008 Mini Cooper (base hardtop) audio system play MP3-coded CD's? How about the Premium Package HiFi system? Thanks!
  • Options
    bigred12bigred12 Member Posts: 12
    Does the 2008 Mini Cooper (base hardtop) automatically turn off its headlights if absent-minded hubby forgets? Thanks!
  • Options
    Yes, the Cooper turns the lights off if you leave them on. I do it all the time with my Cooper S.
  • Options
    Hi,

Just wondering how Cooper S owners cope with the lack of a spare tire since quite a few have mentioned that they swapped their run flats for normal tires.
  • Options
    fmkofmko Member Posts: 21
    I was right all along about the poor quality of the Mini Cooper. I was vilified here by the owners, but the latest JD Power Owner survey supports my view. Mini ranked one spot from the bottom (Jeep was at the bottom of the survey, Mini one spot above them) with 163 problems per 100 vehicles. I repeat this is an owners survey!
  • Options
    busirisbusiris Member Posts: 3,490
    Well, Goodie Goodie for you!

I have owned one since 2005 and never seen a JD Power survey document, or any other one, other than the one Mini sent out immediately after vehicle delivery.

Also, only had one issue...a leaking temperature sending unit, which was repaired by the dealer under warranty with no problems.

Maybe I'm one of the few lucky ones...a good vehicle and a good dealer....
  • Options
    We're on our second Mini --- an '05, and now an '07 --- and both have been as trouble-free as any Japanese car that we've owned. The '05 had 2 warranty repairs. A leaky engine mount and a bad O2 sensor, and none so far for the '07. Is the car practical? No. Is it somewhat quirky and a bit finicky? Yes. Rough riding? Yes. But nothing to suggest poor quality or inferior reliability. And it is still a hoot to drive, a snap to park, and offers livable mpg with today's high gas prices.
  • Options
    duke15duke15 Member Posts: 161
    The survey being referenced is the initial quality survey - number of problems reported in the first 90 days of ownership. The 3 year survey will be released sometime in the next 2-6 weeks; I don't remember exactly when.
    Duke
  • Options
    How do you like the automatics? I'm guessing enough since you bought a second one! Any second thoughts on not getting the stick? Is the newer one better than the older one power-wise? We're in the market for a mini, and I would like a stick but my wife hates manuals.

thanks
  • Options
    The '05 had the CVT auto which was jerky, and sluggish off-the-line. Once it got going it was pretty smooth. The new 6-sp steptronic eliminated the jerkiness, and it is fairly peppy off-the-line. Overall it performs well, although at times when you're caught in too high a gear and need to kick it down, it can be a bit slow and harsh in doing so. One other thing is that I find first gear is quite short, so that it is good only to launch, and then you would have to quickly ease off to get it to shift into second gear. Otherwise you would be redlining it, with lots of noise but not much forward motion!

We got the auto primarily because my wife does not know how to drive a manual. But now that my son will soon be getting his licence, I'm a bit tempted to get another one with a manual and teach him how to drive a stick, although 2 Mini's in the same family seems excessively impractical!
  • Options
    mayrogemayroge Member Posts: 9
  • Options
    Judging by the 163 number quoted in the original post, I am thinking the survey was the one posted on MSN today: http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/SavingandDebt/SaveonaCar/WhoMakesTheHighest- QualityCars.aspx
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply. The 2nd mini might be a bit impractical, but it would be less so if it were a third car... (tell your son to send me a check in the mail) :)
  • Options
    I'll let him know, but be forewarned that he writes rubber cheques! :blush:
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I research MINI reliability TO DEATH when I was thinking of buying one, and finally decided that if you avoided the very early ones, that these were pretty good cars overall. I also drove LOTS of them, in all configurations.

I like the newer transmission 6 speed, and the newer BASE engine over the old trans and old base engine (rough), but I liked the older SC engine over the new one (more responsive).
  • Options
    coupahcoupah Member Posts: 18
    Hi.
    I agonized over ths for a month!
    I read every post at MINI2 and tirerack.
    Finally, decided to ditch the runflats and went with Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 summer tire. Good year is a US company and the tires I bot were made in Germany. i lked that!
    I have dunlop snows (although i decided NOT to drive this Mini in snow) so I have one in my garage if I needi t. I also bought a can of flat-tire sealer.
    I think the quality of the F1 is such that i HPOE I won't get a flat!
    The performance is NIGHT and DAY!
    Even if you don't get summer-only tires, DITCH the RUNFLATS! Buy goodyears!
  • Options
    british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    I can confirm all of that. I did much the same thing before I bought my 2004 MINI Cooper S new.

The early cars could be troublesome but nothing was more troublesome then a base MINI with the CVT trans. The base 5 speed was better but not by much.

Slightly off topic but still relevant is this... I sell what is supposed to be the lease reliable vehicle line in the US Land Rovers and I don't see nearly as many cars coming in broken as you would think. Sure the older ones come in but anything pre-2003 is a completely different vehicle to what is sold now. I have customers in Land Rovers that supposedly have three or four faults per vehicle on average that have never been in for warranty work in three or four years of ownership.

Two people in particular that I sold Range Rover Sports to have over 75,000 miles on their vehicles and for the most part have only done routine maintenance on them. I think those two people both had one warranty repair each but they were both minor problems that didn't cause driving problems. We are talking about things like squeaky brakes and rear hatch supports that won't hold the lift gate up.
  • Options
    Just drive the car. I don't care if there's a spare.
  • Options
    That survey's a little misleading as any problem you report gets listed. For instance, my Cooper arrived with a few problems and I filled out the JD Power.

ABS/DSC lights flickered on at stop lights. CEL goes on every few weeks and then turns off for no reason. Brakes squeaked/grinded once in awhile. Rear hatch had cosmetic damage. Two of these things were fixed rather quickly. Another took a few months for me to bother asking Mini to fix it. Finally, CEL makes no difference so I don't bother reporting it. I also complained that the HVAC always blows hot air and that the runflats are steaming piles (repeated this constantly in the survey).

Overall, 4 problems on delivery. HVAC was the same on my last BMW so it seems it's just a thing now for HVAC when off to seemingly always blow warm air unless one shuts it all down tight. The RFTs were my issues and I handled that. In reality, most of the problems were easily handled and only a single one really impacted my enjoyment of the car (RFTs).

But on JD Power's listing, that means I had 6 problems within 3 months. I'm four times the average per buyer. And I'm picky!
  • Options
    ninawinnninawinn Member Posts: 2
    I'm thinking of buying the MINI COOPER -S after seeing one driven on street. Immediately I fall in love with the body shape & color of that cute car. It looked so classic and unique. But after reading quite a few messages in this forum, I feel a little bit of hesitation. Any advise?
    I did place an order last Sat. and dealer didn't require any deposit. It takes 6-8wks for delivery.
    Nina Winn
  • Options
    Advice...

Follow your heart. If you like it, get it.
  • Options
    ninawinnninawinn Member Posts: 2
    I did ask the salesperson, he said MINI has designed the tires that allow driver to continue driving on flat tire up to 80miles to find a repair store @ max. 55mph. Therefore there is no spare tire for MINI.
  • Options
    eashleyeashley Member Posts: 8
    My 2003 has been a joy...go for it, and don't look back.
  • Options
    Minis use run-flat tires, just like BMW. Run flat tires (RFTs) a're rough riding, expensive to replace and prone to damage (thus requiring replacement). In a nutshell, they're horrible.

Some of us remove them and go with normal tires - cheap to repair, last longer, less damage prone. The downside: if we get a flat we're stuck.
  • Options
    Like the other poster said, ii YOU like it, get it. If you decide you don't like it you will have NO problem selling it as they are in VERY high demand. I TRADED my '05 for an '06 and I got ALMOST what I paid for it!
    You did right in getting the "S" model.
    Just remember, the MINI S is a real "Driver's Machine" and you can't EVER have enough fun driving it!
    take delivery and go motoring!
  • Options
    You did a trade-in and only lost a couple grand? Seriously?
  • Options
    Really!
    It was a base convertible, red and it was late spring. The dealer had literally 3 cars on his lot and was even buying cars on Ebay just to have something to sell.
    I got suckered into the S when i went for a demo ride. then I went for a ride in a friend's S and then I went online and had one built MY way!
    I paid $30K and right now I can sell it for 26! http://images.cars.com/main/DMI/183768/3884.jpg here is a pix of a similar unit but I'm sure it doesn't have the options mini does.
    If you want some help in re-specking yours, (it's not too late to ammend your order, I'm sure) I'll send an email address...
  • Options
  • Options
    Well, ok, you traded a convertible for a coupe. With the convertible, you benefitted from perfect timing in that it was just going into convertible season, and the dealer obviously wanted inventory. Otherwise, no matter how much the car is in demand, it would be hard to believe you would only lose a couple of grand after a year.
This discussion has been closed.