Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

MINI Cooper

Comments

• sylvia6sylvia6 Member Posts: 1
    I got my car days after they came out; I was No. 15 on my dealer's original waiting list. My car is British racing green with a white roof, a sunroof, chrome inserts and a beige leather interior.

At 70 miles, my ``Service engine soon'' light went off. I was told the gas cap may have been loose, causing the light to go off. At 260 miles, the light went off again. After checking the car more thoroughly, the dealership found the problem was with something called the self-check pump; it was broken. This is a pump that pressurizes the gas line with air to make sure there are no leaks. No big deal, except for one thing: There is not one of these pumps to be had in the U.S. -- NOT A SINGLE ONE. After being told the pump was ``on back order,'' I got the service rep to admit, point blank, not one can be located in the U.S. I asked if one can be shipped from Germany. He is checking, but thinks the pump may not have been required on the European model. He can't give me any idea when this pump will show up. BMW in the U.S. or Germany (he doesn't know which) has it on order from the manufacturer. Meantime, if I really do have a problem with the engine, I won't know it because this ``service engine'' light is on all the time. (It won't go out for good until the pump is replaced.)

Secondly, I can't get all the radio stations on the FM dial. All the parts that can be replaced on my radio (amplifiers, antenna, etc.) are being replaced.

I have called the MINI assistance center number, too, to prod this along.

I am trying not to let this spoil my enjoyment of the car, but what carmaker today puts out a new model then doesn't have the available parts when the dealerships need them? What kind of way is this to introduce a new model? I expected better of BMW; I have learned my lesson.
  • silver_bulletsilver_bullet Member Posts: 1,339
    Sylvia6, I'm sorry you are having trouble with what sounds like a beautiful little car, but look at it this way - MINI ownership is going to be somewhat of an adventure, with good and bad experiences. This is a completely new car that has just been introduced through a new dealership network. Thanks to initial demand and "just in time" manufacturing methods, the spare parts pipeline is going to be rather empty for awhile. This is to be expected. I purchased a ZX3 Focus early in the production run, and even coming from a giant like Ford, many parts were unavailable here in the U.S. until production ramped up. I'm old enough to remember the experience of owning English cars back in the 60's - deja vu, because parts were never available when you needed them, and you needed new parts all the time! When the window regulator broke in my MGB, it took four months to get a new one from the factory... and then they sent the wrong one! Thank goodness times have changed. If absolute reliability and minimum inconvenience were at the top of your car shopping list, I'd have to say you bought the wrong car.
  • stryderstryder Member Posts: 140
    I picked up my indi blue cooper on tuesday and have gone about 300 miles so far and haven't noticed any problems except the passenger side midrange/woofer in the door seems to ocasionally fuzz. I mentioned it to the dealer and they said they'd check into it, but since the dealer is an hour away and its only a minor inconvience its very low on the list. The car is awsome otherwise, I can't wait till I hit 1200 miles so I can rev it over 4500rpm. I played around with flooring both a Cooper and an S and couldn't justify the extra wait (and expense) for an S so I took a cooper that was pre-spec'd. If I really want to deal with the sport supension being tough on beatup upstate NY roads I'll trade in my cooper for an ordered S in '03 or '04 once any bugs have been worked out, I don't expect depreciation to be horrible and I only paid $500 above MSRP which included floor mats and some extra stuff (granted overpriced) like rain-X'ing all of the windows.

As far as an update from someone who actually has the car, It handles great, is relatively roomy (a bit squishy with 4 people in it but certainly fine for trips around town, to dinner etc) I get tons of attention in it, the first night I had it back someone in a new beetle stared for about 10 seconds, all I could do was feel sorry for her car being so 1998. One person came up to me at a sub shop and asked if it was my car since she saw the parking sticker. I was playing with the handling doing some quick turns in a parking lot, loads of fun and it does really handle like a go-cart. I'll probably end up taking some pictures this weekend, but if anyone has special requests post them here and I'll try and oblidge. Rest of the specs: chrome bumpers, premium package, 16" wheels, panther black profile leather interior.
  • m37stevem37steve Member Posts: 10
    Appreciate the owner's insight. My only concern is that someone will be looking at the Cooper 3-4 years from now and thinking it's so 2002. I really don't want to be the flavor of the moment. Fortunately, I don't think the Cooper will become as ubiquitous as the New Beetle or the PT Cruiser.
  • seminole_kevseminole_kev Member Posts: 1,696
    Especially for the fact that there are relatively few MINI dealers in the U.S. Means that even in a few years they'll be pretty new to people in areas that currently don't have MINI dealers.
  • rmorin2rmorin2 Member Posts: 110
    My order is in, I am happy but anxious. The MINI is not for everyone nor is the Beetle or any other car. This is why there are hundreds of different models of cars, SUVs, trucks, etc.

The MINI is going to fill a particular niche for drivers who want something different, that handles well, gets decent fuel mileage, and hopefully proves to be reliable. Having driven BMWs for many years, I am hopeful that my MINI will be reliable. I am confident that it will be fun to drive.

Now if the car will just get here. My production date is 5/24 so I am hoping for an early July delivery.

Happy Motoring.
    If you're waiting for a MINI that you've ordered or is being made this might be of some help: If you get the VIN or production number of your car, you can login into https://ol.miniusa.com (or the owner's link of MINI's site) and track your car, if you track it, it'll give you the suspected delivery date under order summary. If you already knew about this, my experience might help, my car was in production about March 15th and it got delivered to my dealer April 19th. If you already knew about these estimates, ignore me :) I didn't see any requests for photos, so I'll assume people aren't very interested in oddball parts.
  • pubhoprpubhopr Member Posts: 1
    I just ordered my Mini (standard w/premium package and other goodies) and am expecting to keep it for the long haul. I have two months to prep, so here's the questions:

1) What is the best way to break in the car? In terms of driving, RPM's, etc.
    2) What is the best way, waxes, cleaners, etc. to maintain the exterior of the car?
    3) What is the best way to maintain the leather interior of the car?

I am hoping that 30 years from now I will be showing this car off at a car show. And 60 years from now, using it in lew of a whell-chair:)
  • speculativespeculative Member Posts: 36
    1) Varry the rpm for first 1000mi and change the oil after the first 700. Dont go WOT within the first 700mi if possible.

2) wax and cleaner are 2 diff things.
    A. First wash use dish soap, then never use it again, buy car soap. Wash atleast 1/month
    B. Any wax called a "cleaner" wax has fine particals in it to scrape your outer clear coat off. You dont need to use cleaners each time, more like 1/year clean and polish and touch up nics. Wax 1/every2month or if u like it 1/ month. None of them last much longer then that if you drive your car every day. No wax is 100% carnuba, despite what the box says. If you want good non synthetic wax get Griots(30% carnuba)http://www.griotsgarage.com
    Otherwise just get meguiers or whatever if not into waxing. If you want synthetic get Zaino or Blackfire (I dont like the look but some people do).
    3) Dont clean my leather with anything but water and the stuff that came with my vette (gift package). Im sure Meguiers makes leather care products, if not Mothers does.
  • segestasegesta Member Posts: 27
    Nothing against Speculative's common-sense advice, but according to (i) the owner's manual, (ii) the dashboard "miles 'til service" readout, and (iii) the MINI service manager I just called, you don't need to bring in your MINI for its first service (oil change etc.) until 10,000 miles.

I found this surprising, too, being a staunch every-3000-miles guy, but the service manager explained that with new BMW and MINI engines, there is no need to change the oil before the recommended interval.

And although the service manager didn't mention this: if you perform maintenance that is not part of the schedule, you may risk the free-maintenance part of your warranty. Something to think about.

The owner's manual also states that you should keep the engine below 4500 RPM and vary the speed for the first 500 miles.

Good luck!
  • rmorin2rmorin2 Member Posts: 110
    Anyone running 215-40-17 tires? Any problem with fender clearance?
  • hpulley4hpulley4 Member Posts: 591
    I picked up my new Indi Blue, white roofed Cooper last night! I got a Canadian Limited (500) Launch Edition car with sport package (sport seats, 16" 5-spoke Goodyear runflats, fog lights, leather wheel, spoiler), metallic paint, chrome bumper inserts, vanity and map lights and heated seats for little more than the price of the sport package alone. I didn't preorder it, someone who put a deposit on it got a 3-series instead.

I liked the indi blue, red and silver cars but thought the red was too flashy (speeding ticket magnet) and the silver too conservative so I went with my usual favorite, a fairly dark blue.

The owner's manual says to vary the revs but keep them under 4500RPM for the first 2000km. This isn't too bad as 4500RPM is max torque and the band from 3000-4500RPM is quite usable. The broken-in test car I originally drove was more fun so I can hardly wait for the break-in period to end. Even without being able to really rev the engine, the cornering is great -- I absolutely love the way this car drives and handles!

The clutch is a bit tight but I'm sure it will loosen up with time. There is a small squeak in the dash near the middle air vents that I will mention to the dealer if it keeps up. Otherwise, it seems to be well put together.

What octane level fuel are you guys using? 91, 92, 93, 94? The book just says 91 and up so is there any advantage to the 'max performance' high octane fuels in this engine? I was glad to see the book recommends ethanol instead of MTB additives as ethanol (up to 10%) blends are what I usually put in my vehicles.
  • revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    After reading your last post here, I was wondering whether you'd be able to resist the temptation.... ;-) Sounds really nice. I look forward to hearing more details.

To all the new Mini Cooper owners- Please let me know if/when you're interested in starting up a Mini Cooper Owner's Club here. Happy motoring!

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Station Wagons Boards
  • rickroverrickrover Member Posts: 601
    I got an unexpected call from my dealer this morning telling me they have an elecric blue S with sport and premium packages ready for me to pick up if I like. I'm on the list for an electric blue S. Last I talked to them they said they would call me in May to come in and order my S for delivery in July - then this one comes in - I'm 14 on the S list, they couldn't have satisfied the people before me. This is the wierdest waiting list situation I've ever encountered -

My schedule was totally packed today but is wide open tomorrow - I may be the owner of a that electric blue S sometime tomorrow. - anyone interested?
  • novcenthusiastnovcenthusiast Member Posts: 80
    Something similar happened to me. When I went in to test drive, one of the sales people informed me I could buy the S in the showroom. I'm not even on the S list (it was too long, so I thought)! Maybe the majority of people on the S list want a pre-speced car.
    That's possible, the electric blue looks really nice - This one is optioned like most people would probably buy an S - It still makes me think the "waiting lists" are evaporating - I may be wrong, I'll know more later today.
  • coznefxcoznefx Member Posts: 35
    I've got to agree with you ( the lack of interest in this forum alone speaks volumes). There was a lot of initial excitement over the anticipation of a new car from Mini but once most people got a look at it's size I think they started to have serious reservations. It's a shame too, because it really is a fine car (I have no doubt that BMW is losing money on these things).

It's just as well, I'd rather see only a handful on the road as opposed to a glut (like Honda) on every corner.
  • seminole_kevseminole_kev Member Posts: 1,696
    when I finally saw the MINI in person, it was much bigger than I expected it to be from the photos I saw.
    If, like me, you are looking for a small, nimble, fun-to-drive three door that is not some sort of rolling "blue light special" (and is not a racerboy wannabe), the MINI is the only thing out there in the U.S. I've gone full circle, and am back on the list for a Cooper later this year. True, it won't be a car that everyone will want - but that's fine with me :)
    I considered a bigger car for myself but already having a midsize wagon for a family car, my question was why? Why haul around a big car when I don't need it? Why pay for a big car with less features when I can get a small car with more, higher-end features?

I too thought the MINI was larger in person than it would be (not a bad thing, mind you as the space for the driver and front passenger are great). In width, it is actually not small at all.

I wasn't part of the initial hype though. I just started test driving new hatchbacks this winter and spring and recently came across the MINI. Other test drives left me underwhelmed but the MINI left me wondering how soon I could get one (the week after as it turned out and those following this board already know).

In general the demand here is good but not silly. All the cars coming in pre-speced are spoken for through June, or so I'm told but special orders would come in during late June or late July so the wait for an order (assuming all the features you want are available) is just 2-3 months which is close to industry average.

This is good in general as you shouldn't see the large additional price hikes that people got with PT Cruisers and such which inflates the initial price but hurts resale when the bubble bursts.
    I meant to type DON'T want a pre-speced car. But I think you figured that out.

I too thought that the car was definitely bigger in person than I initially thought it would be.

Anyone else out there 6' or over? With me driving the car is essentially transformed into a 3 seater. Depending on who is in the front passenger seat, it might be down to a two seater. I think I'd keep the back seats folded down most of the time.
    ... and probably will keep the back seats folded in my Cooper to maximize storage space. I'm not married, have no kids, so a MINI works fine for me.
  • m37stevem37steve Member Posts: 10
    But much more comfortable in the MINI passenger seat than my brother's Audi A4. Love the airy interior with the sunroof. Haven't driven one yet- need CVT-- but have ridden in an S and ordered a regular Cooper pretty well kitted out. I think part of the lack of interest in this forum is due to the availability of a very good MINI-specific site. Interest will increase as more people get exposed to the car and some find out that it is not all that tiny, although mine will definitely serve as a 2-3 seater. I'm very glad it won't be as ubiquitous as the New Beetle or the PT.
  • aaron935aaron935 Member Posts: 1
    Anyone seen any press on the S model? I drove one at the dealer and put a deposit down, however, I'd like to see what a pro car reviewer says about the S. My test drive was short since others were lined up to drive the lone S tester. My dealer tells me that I can't even place an order until June. Is that consistent with what others are being told?
  • logic1logic1 Member Posts: 2,433
    Sounds as though you got a great second car! Enjoy. Just don't become a stranger in the L forum. You have more car knowledge than most of us other L people.
    I really enjoy edmunds but if you are worried about the lack of MINI posting here, check out www.mini2.com a MINI fansite.
  • fledgefledge Member Posts: 3
    The MINI2 website has a great forum, and also check http://forums.roadfly.org/mini/forums/cooper/
    Hi hpulley & Fledge- Thanks for the links. Feel free to share any information you find at these other Mini website with us here. Also, be sure to let them know about us. Let's work on increasing the posts here.... Okay? ;-)

Revka
    Host
    silver_bullet
    I've got a similar situation(I'm only 6'4" though), no wife, kids... Otherwise this would clearly have to be a second car.

The only thing I noticed about driving that will take some getting used to is that the pedals are extremely close together. Is it just me or did anyone else notice this? Maybe, it only bothers you if you have big feet. :)
    I haven't been able to drive a Cooper yet, although I have sat in two different cars and tried stepping on the brake and clutch. Space is a bit tight around the pedals, but I think it is workable - especially if you are like me, and drive barefoot whenever you can :) BTW I wear size 12 shoes. Several people have mentioned this issue at MINI2.com, so it isn't an unheard of complaint.
    I also have big feet. I found the important thing was not to sit too close. The MINI is meant to be driven with the driver's legs and shifting arm close to parallel to the floor. By moving my seat back and adjusting the height, I find the pedals are fine -- still a little close together but not so close that I hit two at once unintended.
    First, to Revka: I would be happy to participate in an Owner's Forum at Edmunds. The jokers at miniusa.com can't seem to get anything started at their Owner's Lounge, so...

And I'm a whopping 5'8", and fit five people in my Mini (okay, one of them was a kid) going to dinner the other night. As I've said before, the car is just very short, not very small.
    Went out to lunch today. Was going to take 4 people but when we looked behind my seat in its usual configuration there wasn't much room back there; I offered to pull the seat up but they said they'd just go in another car. It sat 3 just fine though and the engine was more than adequate with two extra people. I'm just 5'10" but I seem to be sitting nice'n low.

We had snow this morning, of all things, possibly an inch or two. I only have summer tires on my Cooper so I waited until the roads were mostly clear before leaving. It was just fluffy stuff anyways, though the I think the ABS did go off for one stop.
    Hi Segesta - Great! Thanks for the feedback.

To everyone- I posted a message a short while back asking if/when people were interested in a a Mini Cooper Owners Club here. In addition to Segesta's feedback, I've also received a couple emails from participants that are interested... and I've forwarded them onto the proper sources.

If you're interested in having an Owner's Club, please post your messages in this discussion. That way, others here will know who's interested in participating. One of the advantages to having an official Town Hall Owners Club is that we can set aside a separate area for you.... which will also be linked to this discussion.

In addition to creating new Mini discussions as the need arises, we can link up all these Mini related discussions throughout Town Hall to your club area. This format will make it easier for Mini owners to discuss and find issues that are of concern (maintenance, problems, Aftermarket, etc.) to them rather than having to wade through numerous Town Hall boards and messages to find the information they need.

Thanks for your participation. ;-)

Revka
    Host
    First, to Revka: I would be happy to participate in an Owner's Forum at Edmunds. The jokers at miniusa.com can't seem to get anything started at their Owner's Lounge, so...

And I'm a whopping 5'8", and fit five people in my Mini (okay, one of them was a kid) going to dinner the other night. As I've said before, the car is just very short, not very small.
    I'm 6'2" and approx 250.. I regularly fit 4 people in my cooper (regularly in the week and a half I've had it) without many complaints. I generally drive much closer to the steering wheel then people "normally" do though, as a rule my knees are an inch or so from the dash. The rear seat passengers generally complain about foot room, not leg room since if you have the seat too low, you literally can't fit your toes under it. When we're out motoring with 4 people in the car I crank it a bit higher than if its 3 or less and everyone is happy. As far as the pedals I've been getting more used to them every day. I have size 12 feet but they don't seem to get in the way, more commonly I can't get my feet entirely off the pedal smoothly - most likely a problem due to sitting close to the dashboard, but I like the control of having the wheel at a comfortable arm distance so I'm willing to manage.

As far as an owner's forum I think it'd be a good thing, MINI2 is nice, but its got a definite UK slant, so there's certainly oportunity for a more north american view of ownership.
  • fledgefledge Member Posts: 3
    Stryder,

You're right, the MINI2 has a majority of UK posters but it has a wealth on info and their boards are well organized. If you want to know how much the sunroof weighs, or specifics about DSC, after market products etc. just do a search. Also, owners post lots of pictures.

As far as an owners club, I have to wait until nov for my S but go ahead and I'll join you then.
    I'm heading in to the dealer today to see this electric blue S they have for me - if they still have it. I haven't had a chance to make it to the dealer all week. I will be truly amazed if it is still there. I agree with comments in response to my earlier posts - it's GREAT that interest in the MINI appears to be declining. I think its a huge plus that there won't be that many on the road. I saw a MINI in my own neighborhood yesterday - it definately made me smile.
    Got a nice thumbs up from a BMW driver today and lots of people looking at the car, driving beside me, etc. on a family trip. Was worried I'd cause an accident at one point with the gawkers.

Had our son in the back seat and my wife in the front passenger seat, actually quite roomy, and enough room in the trunk for a decent amount of baby gear for a day trip.

For the break-in it isn't easy to vary the speed all the time on the highway but I figured out a method where I pass a car, pull up behind the next one, slow down for a bit and then pass them too, and repeat.

BTW, my wife absolutely loves the heated seats! Not that we needed them today but her back was sore and she says it is quite theraputic.
  • tollagtollag Member Posts: 23
    I just called my BMW dealer, Herb Chambers of Boston, and was told the news that my electric blue Cooper-S, fully loaded is expected to come in early September, a full 2 months earlier than originally planned! I can hardly contain myself, i'm estatic! All my friends say I'm obsessed... can any of you die-hard mini fans blame me?
    Tollag,

I certainly can't blame you, I was checking the status of my car online daily for nearly a month, I certainly understand being obsessed. Its worth the wait and its a great hobby :)

Fledge,

I've certainly found MINI2 to be helpful and didn't mean to be negative, In fact I've found it useful for information several times when no other source even mentioned what I was looking for, (like their FAQ on wheels and tyres (sic.) My point in supporting a north american centric board was more of a convinence factor. There's room for both, and I browse edmunds out of bordem on a regular basis so why not have something here too?
  • hersbirdhersbird Member Posts: 323
    Well I'm interested in a Cooper or Cooper S as a 3rd car (well really my first car as we now have a van and a pickup) but I was wondering what the prices are at in relation to MSRP. I will not pay more then MSRP for any car so I was wondering how long the wait would be. I noticed the PT cruiser (my other choice) are pretty commom now at below MSRP, so that took what a year or so? They make a lot more PT Cruisers though. There is a Cooper here in my Montana town at the Jeep dealer for an asking price of over $28,000! It's got a few options but the MSRP would be under $19,000 for sure. They are trying to market this thing as "fun" but I can't see much fun in paying $5000 more then a WRX sells for. Maybe I'll wait and see if they make that Dodge Razor for the target price of $15,000. I know a place that sells every Chrysler product for $300 over invoice including PTs when they first came out, you just got to get the deposits in early.
    I hear everyone being skeptical over how much the coopers are actually going to cost... The dealer I'm purchasing my Cooper S from has been great about it. The first thing they did was to sit down at one of their computers, get on-line, and you build one at www.miniusa.com. They printed it, and I signed under it stating thats the car I want, and thats the price I agree to... Then, I paid them!

And one quick question... does anyone know the exact break-in period for the engine?
    Its 1200 miles, and then gradually increase after that. No full throttle, keep it under 4500rpm and vary speed.
    I could raise it into the air (on jacks), get it going into 6th grear and just vary the rpm's... get it done in ohh, a day! :)
  • pharmaseapharmasea Member Posts: 25
    I test drove a "used" Mini Cooper today. It has 37 miles on it. It was sold back to the dealer because the rear window was smashed in a breakin and they could not get it fixed in time for the owner's wifes b-day present (must be nice).

Since it is used, although only 37 miles, should I try to get if for less than their aasking price of $22,165? The options as priced (silver metallic paint, premium package, leather seats, fog lights, chrome package, (dealer added pin strips and bonnet strips on the hood) add up to 20,280. I was thinking of offering 20,000.

Man was that test drive sweet! Its been years since I drove a stick and it was easy as ever.

Thanks,

Jim
    Tires and brakes need a shorter break-in so your jack idea won't _quite_ work ;-). These items wear in more quickly, 300-400 miles or so though a 400 mile freeway trip with no braking won't count.

Actually, the engine break-in limits isn't too bad. 4500RPM is at max torque though without max throttle you won't really be at maximum. The 150km/h maximum is almost harder to stay away from, as 5th-gear at 4500RPM would be over that speed. The car handles well at speed, if you're wondering...
    You can offer whatever you want, but especially given edmunds TMV being so high I'm not sure you'll get very far. The general view amongst people shopping seems to be try and get the car for MSRP. You're also theoretically ahead of the game if you can walk in and just get the car, especially since its has desirable (in my opinion)packages with premium and leather. Makes me wonder how open the dealer would be to such a lowball offer when there's people still waiting a few months for a cooper.
    I'll thing of some deviant plan, like letting my wife, (a passive driver) break it in, and then I'll have lots of fun...

Also, another question...

Since the Oxford plant has added another shift, and hired over 1000 new workers, does anyone know if they'll raise the original figure of 20,000 coopers to the U.S. this year? I'd love for my electric blue S to come even sooner
  • mgoulet101mgoulet101 Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking for someone in Austin, Texas who would be willing to give me a test drive in their 2002 Mini. The idea is that I could order it from another state. As of yet, they still don't sell them in Texas.
This discussion has been closed.