Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Protege5

Comments

• subyaudidudesubyaudidude Member Posts: 136
    Holy cow! $22,400 CND = $15,000 USD!!!!! Dang it! That is a GREAT deal! I don't know what the duty would be, though.
  • doctor_rdoctor_r Member Posts: 27
    Had to re-post this to make a couple additions,

If all you south of the border are looking for ABS without the sunroof maybe you should come up north to get a P5. ABS is standard on the Canadian Models the only options being, sunroof, transmission and air. I paid 22,400 Canadian for mine with air, sunroof, and 5-speed. With the exchange you would be saving a bit, (which I'm sure would be made up with the duty).

i bought this car about two months ago when they were in hot and haevy demand. I'm sure that now you could even get a better deal, seeing as the dealer where I bought mine now has about 10 P5's on the lot.

Just a stupid thought...
  • estoesto Member Posts: 136
    I don't think a US resident can buy a car in Canada and then "import" it into the US.
    Anybody know for sure?
    (Though when I moved from Canada to the US many years ago, I had no trouble
    bringing my Mazda GLC with me).

Erik
    I know many people who have bought cars in the states and brought them back to Canada with no problems. Now that I think about it though most of them were used cars....

There may be some different laws going from Canada to the states though. Have to look into it.
  • mazdadude1mazdadude1 Member Posts: 49
    My two choices were the Suburu Outback Sport or the P5. I leaned toward the Outback until I test drove both. On the Interstate, the Outback whined, coming from, it sounded to me like the rear. The whine was bothersome. Also, I noted the windows on the suburu were not framed by metal and the doors felt lighter and cheaper. The interior also appeared to be "cheaper" looking. But the acceleration was better and AWD was a plus. The two models I compared meant that I would pay a couple of thousand more for the subbie to get awd. But I reasoned I would seldom need awd here on the coast, only for my trips to the mountains in winter. And the other negative things mentioned above led me to the P5. I like the outside look of the P5 much better. And driving it is way fun. Three months and 3000 miles later and still very satisfied with my choice. later
  • jskhojskho Member Posts: 107
    Can someone confirm that we can get ABS w/o sunroof? It was mentioned in an earlier post that for 2002, this is possible. I thought all P5s are of MY 2002.
    Also what exactly is the perimeter alarm?
    Does it include starter disable or only shock sensor and intrusion detection?
  • phoenixmp5phoenixmp5 Member Posts: 60
    jskho,

It looks as though the ABS and Moon roof options are independent of each other. When I bought mine, you could get the Moon roof without ABS, but the ABS option included the Moon roof!

The perimeter alarm is a worthless button on a key chain without any of the features you listed above. It does make noise if a door is opened though.

When I purchased my P5, the dealer offered an add-on alarm by CodeAlarm, which works in conjunction with the perimeter alarm and gives you the glass break and shock sensors and Ignition Kill.

I had the upgrade added on at no charge, as part of the negotiations.
  • shriqueshrique Member Posts: 338
    I have actually seen some BRAND NEW P5's right off the truck that had a sunroof but no ABS. That only stands to reason that you can get the ABS with no sunroof. Those P5's literally had just rolled off the truck. They even had hte plastic on them. A salesman had also mentioned that in the later 2002 models they were going to detach those two options. I'm not too sure about the alarm through. I belive it's a shock sensor.
  • barresa62barresa62 Member Posts: 1,379
    The TS,OBS,& WRX wagons all have more cargo space than the P5 by a significant amount. Total space w/the seat folded is aprox. 61.6 cu ft.

If I didn't value the performance and safety aspects of AWD in all types of weather (and didn't own a WRX wagon) I would have seriously considered the P5 wagon. I really like the styling.

Stephen
    I think you have always been able to get sunroof w/o ABS. But not the other way round.
  • hondaaccessoryhondaaccessory Member Posts: 74
    Not sure if the add on accessory one is different from the one that comes on them, I put the accessory one on awhile back.

It does include the starter disable, and a two stage shock sensor (the shock sensor says 'code alarm' on it). It arms with the door lock and disarms with the unlock on the keyless remote. Once it is installed you don't really notice anything different except for the flashing LED when it is armed.

The P5 install (same unit is used for the regular proteges) on it doesn't include a connection for the rear hatch to trigger the alarm, but with a bit of custom wiring it was easy enough to add. I left off the shock sensor and am going to put on a glass breakage detector or a radar motion sensor. The regular shock sensors false alarm too often.

I know there are fancier alarms out there but I wasn't interested in letting someone else tear into my new car and just wanted something that would make some noise if someone broke into the car, I got the alarm for about $140.00 so it wasn't bad at all. I spent a couple hours on the install.

-Trevor
  • douglamdouglam Member Posts: 67
    If you goto http://www.mazdausa.com and configure a car, you have to get the moonroof if you want ABS. In fact, goto any other new car pricing sites like:

http://www.kbb.com

http://www.carsdirect.com

They will all tell you they same thing. But of course this may change in the future.

• douglamdouglam Member Posts: 67
    Trevor, where did you buy the alarm? At $140, it's not bad at all!

Also, how hard is it to install the alarm? Do you have to do any wiring under the carpet?
  • elec3elec3 Member Posts: 160
    My Pro5 didn't come with ABS, side airbags, or a moonroof. I didn't really care about the former two but the latter was important to me (go figure). The dealer had one installed at a local shop for me for ~$800 US that IMHO is a fair bit nicer than the factory one.

I'm still interested in this caliper painting thing - would I be absolutely dumb and asking for trouble if I attempted to use the emergency jack? I know a good hydraulic jack is only $15-20 away, but I'm cheap and don't like the buy things I may not use often.

PS: As proof that I'm cheap, I'm hoping to put an LED and tiny circuitboard I have in my P5 dash somewhere. It's just a simple timer that makes the red LED flash. It runs off two AA batteries forever and looks convincingly like an antitheft alarm :)
  • protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
    That's what I was thinking of doing to my LX 2.0 to make it looked like I had an alarm! However, I never got around to doing it. Besides, the regular sedan Pro isn't highly sought after here. The thieves are after Civics and Toyotas. My Club is all I use.
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    you can buy flashing LEDs and just wire one up with a switch to a constant + source. No timer circuit required.
  • toddmontoddmon Member Posts: 5
    Shrique commented "That only stands to reason that you can get the ABS with no sunroof". Unfortunately, reason doesn't factor into some of the production decisions at Mazda. It seems absurd to me, but my dealer and Mazda have made it clear that you can't get ABS without a sunroof (at least in the USA). I may be in the minority, but I just don't see the appeal of a sunroof (I can understand wanting to drive a Miata with the top down, but a hole in the roof doesn't do much for me). Requiring a moonroof to get ABS (and side airbags) just seems nonsensical to me, and besides having to spend an extra $700 to get the car I want, I'm really having a hard time with the principle of bundling these options together. I probably would have gone ahead and bought a new P5 by now if I hadn't been so annoyed by this decision by Mazda, but now I'm thinking about driving my 323 through another winter and seeing how the Toyota Matrix compares with the P5 when it's available early next year.
    I am wondering if P5 owners can share with us how much they have paid for their cars.
    I need an idea of how far I can bargain it down to. Thanks.
    I am thinking about auto, ABS, roof, and alarm.
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    I used the standard car jack when painting the calipers of my 2001 ES. It turned out drama free. It can be done, but a floor jack might be a little easier.
  • mjudsonmjudson Member Posts: 10
    douglam your on the right track. to disconnect the power light, just squeeze the power connector. when you want to reconnect, you should be able to push it back in. i bet you have fixed it by now.
  • ponyupponyup Member Posts: 5
    Has anyone actually bought this gizmo? I remember seeing it available somewhere but wasnt sure about whether the pre-wiring (in the car) is there for it to hook up to. Id doubt it. Anyone put one in?
  • thelthel Member Posts: 767
    I paid $500 over invoice on mine in July. The market varies widely though. In Kansas City, you'll do well to pay MSRP, not as much demand here in Mid-Missouri though. The two Mazda dealers within an hours drive are littered with P-5's. As a rule of thumb, the more P5's they have on the lot, the more willing they should be to negotiate on them.
  • elec3elec3 Member Posts: 160
    maltb: I actually already have the little timer circuit that'll run off two AA's and flash the LED. It came with an optical mouse (in the box, apparently to demonstrate the meaning of optical). I might try to mount a switch in the circuit somewhere so I can leave the whole thing in the car and turn it on and off without removing the batteries.

re: calipers. I'm feeling brave, I may enlist a few friends to help me do it. By the way, how do you tell exactly which parts move with the wheel and which ones don't (for painting purposes)?
  • pjd58pjd58 Member Posts: 366
    a Mazda dealer is selling the P5 at invoice.
  • subyaudidudesubyaudidude Member Posts: 136
    Who? Ricart, probably. =(
  • pjd58pjd58 Member Posts: 366
    boobie prize:) It's good old Freddie Ricart, not my first choice of dealers.
  • boopoppaboopoppa Member Posts: 48
    i love my car...
    'nuff said :-)

bought it at sticker price, ordered end of June, received end of October, blue 5spd with moon
    Just got back from dealer. A salesman told me that
    they just introduced 0% for 36 month on the Protege5.
    Also, according to him, the factory "perimeter alarm" does include starter disable.
  • SporinSporin Member Posts: 1,066
    Can someone either help me out or point me to an Oil Change FAQ?

I've always performed my own maintenance on my cars and so was prepared to do my first Pro5 oil change on Sunday morning. I'm not new at this, I'm not blind, and I'm not stupid... but I can't even find the darn oil filter???? :-(

I've got a new oil filter (Bosch) adn 4 quarts of Valvoline Synthetic Blend 5W-30 ready to go.

Can someone help me out please? Thanks.
    I wouldn't attempt the change the first time yourself unless you have a hoist. My first attempt was a horrible mess. You can see my post # 533 on the care and maintence board. I think they weld the first oil filter on I couldn't get it off myself.
  • westy5westy5 Member Posts: 24
    jsko,

You mentioned two (2) dealers in mid-Missouri that are offering 0% and have alot of P5's. We are these dealers located?? I'm not too far from that area and would be interested in visiting these dealers if they have what I'm looking for.

Thanks.
    Thanks doc.

I think I will tke my filter and oil down to my local garage and let them do it.
  • westy5westy5 Member Posts: 24
    The two (2) Mazda dealership in my area and each have approximately 5-8 P5s on their lots. None of these P5s are exactly what I am looking for (Silver or blue, 5 speed, floor mats and cargo net). Most of the P5s have more options that I want and/or are the wrong color.

This will be my first attempt at buying a new car. Has anyone asked a dealer to locate the exact P5 that you wanted (or any other car for that matter) from another dealer?? Floor mats and the cargo net can be obtained anywhere, I'm just wanting the 5 speed without the extras. Do you lose negotiating power when you do this since they know you really want this car??

My goal is to pay Edmunds' TMV or less. The dealership that I'm dealing with is helpful and has been recommended. They say they will beat any competitor's price on a new car.

Any help or past experiences are appreciated. Thanks.
  • bluong1bluong1 Member Posts: 1,927
    Jason,

from my experience, the trick is to show that you are interested in buying car also from different car makers (let the dealer understand that you are also interested in the Elantra, Golf, ... for example). Wanting the right color and the right option will show that you are serious about buying a car, and the dealer is willing to negotiate in that case.

Usually dealers like to negotiate based on the sticker price. Do your home work before, and try to translate approximately it into a drive-out price, and bargain on the drive-out price instead, something like: "my maximum budget is $17k, so tell me if I can have a car at that price?".

If you know exactly what you want, you can also pick up the phone and call dealers around to locate the car (that's what I did). Focus mainly on the transmission and color of the car. You shouldn't have any problem with the mats: practically all the P5s have them. The cargo net can be ordered later. So don't bother with those, or try to get them for free at the last moment, when you are happy with the finale offer, tell the dealer: "OK with that price, but can I have in addition a mats a cargo net"?

Good luck, and keep us inform.

Bruno
    Also, it seems as though "stripped" P5's are a rare breed. Most have some combo o fmoonroof/auto/side airbags/ABS.

I finally found one, in my 2nd choice color and pounced on it.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Really? Must be a regional thing. The dealer I visited did not have a single moonroof, not one.

-juice
    It was thel who is from Missouri.
    I am in WA state. The dealer I went to has about 20 in stock and was saying few hundreds over invoice. They seem to have pretty good variety of option combinations to choose from. The 0% deal suprises me 'cause I haven't read about it anywhere.
    Dealers are usually willing to trade from another dealer if they has the one you want. But ordering from the factory will be a disadvantage because a lot of the offers (like financing) only applies to stock on dealer lots.
    Email the "internet manager" and you should have an easier time. This should save you a lot of effort in haggling and bargaining.
    My experiences with internet managers have been thus far bad. I emailed a few of these so-called internet managers when I was looking for my '01 LX Pro. I tried to get pricing, etc. from email, but all they would tell me was to "come on in Sir. I will then be able to do my best for you." What kind of internet salesman is that? I envisioned us going over prices, etc. thru email. Not so apparently. Good luck if you try.

PF
  • redpr5redpr5 Member Posts: 23
    Most internet managers are car salesmen that have access to a computer. They will still try to sell the old fashioned way with car salesmen tactics. Having said that I bought a 2000 Infiniti G20t from Herring-Gear Infiniti in Jackson, MS. Terry Fox was straight and upfront with me. He gave the price over the phone, which was $500 over invoice and with the $1,500 rebate at the time, I paid $1,000 under dealer invoice plus tt&l.

He told me what I price I would pay on all of their Infiniti models, in case I wanted one of those. It was a pleasure doing business with them. I also got a reply from the Volkswagon dealer in Jackson, MS. Can't remember his name, but gave the same reception as I got at the Infiniti dealer, $500 over invoice on a 2000 Passat.

I traded the Infiniti on my red pr5. I had no downpayment or trade when I originally bought the G20t. Buying the pr5 lowered my payments a consideral bit. Love my Mazda. Didn't get as much as I thought I should on the Infiniti, but got pretty close.
  • raduga750raduga750 Member Posts: 13
    I got my P5 in September for $10 over invoice...but the circumstances were peculiar. The dealer wanted $550 (as I recall) over invoice for an automatic, which was the only option I wanted. That was still under the Edmunds TMV, and he wouldn't budge, so I was willing. However, the only one he had in stock with the color I wanted also had a moonroof, which I didn't want. I refused to pay anywhere near what they wanted for a moonroof, so he essentially tossed it in for about $50. I also got the mats tossed in. Because he wanted to make a deal that day, I feel I got a good deal on the car. I also got 1.9% financing -- they sure weren't offering 0% on P5s at the time, and in fact they wanted over 4% at first.
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    All mazda dealers can offer the 0%
    for 36 months on P5. The program started 11/01/01...it's not uncommon for Mazda to do regional incentives but this one is nationwide.

If your dealer wont deal or is giving you the phony business on the 0% email me and I will provide you with the info you need.

Rich
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Cool, so Mazda has hopped on the bandwagon.

-juice
    Here in Canada I've never seen 0% financing. They only go as low as 0.9% for 36 months. :(
    audia8q, do you know what is the S-plan price for the P5? I just found out that I may qualify. How far below invoice is it?
    If I am not in the plan, do you think I can still realistically bargain it down to the S-plan price?
  • ahsteinahstein Member Posts: 1
    I've had my silver P5 (automatic) for 4 weeks now and love the car! But in 3 tanks of gas it's been averaging 22-23 MPG. Not terrible, but I was expecting more. (75% highway/ 25% city driving) Does this seem low to anyone? What have other people been getting?

Just curious.

--Andy S.
    The only Mazda dealers in Mid-Mo are in Columbia (tough salesmen but competent parts department) and in Jefferson City (decent sales staff but really, really lousy service department and body shop). Other than these two, you'd have to go to Springfeild or one fo the metro dealers.
    low 20's? My CRV does that or better. My P5 got at worst 28. Granted it was a 5 speed, but I routinely upshifted at 3500-4000 RPM.
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    The S-plan price is a few hundred less than invoice....Most dealers would toss you out for even suggesting an S-plan price when not s-plan qualified...check to see what others on here are paying and set your goal a little lower...but essentially supply/demand will always dictate price...

Remember, the S-plan is optional for the dealer. Many dealers will not do an S-plan on hot items like the Tribute and P5. Check with your local dealer.

Rich
    At 3500 miles on my 5-speed P5, I am getting 29-30 mpg in 50/50 driving (city/highway).
This discussion has been closed.