Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• skyking49skyking49 Member Posts: 112
    I don't need the biggest or the most expensive...I just need something that will work at a reasonable price, nothing over 100 dollars.
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    The TJ's with the dual tops came that way from the factory, as a way to have both tops with the Jeep when sold. But instructions said to remove one of the tops after delivery. Besides taking up too much space, the soft top may bounce up and down a bit and end up chafing against the hard top while in the down position.

Something like that anyway. I have no idea how the JK is configured.

-Paul
    If you want to do this, I suggest you look at other car forums and see how they have subcategories arranged.

I'd suggest topics like:
    Suspension and Lifts
    Electronics
    Mechanical/Engine
    Body
    Offroading/Usage

Anything more specific, and you'll be in the weeds and have people creating topics left and right and quickly find the town hall area more of a town dump.

-Paul
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    I thought that an 18 inch wheel (sitting higher?) may affect the roadhandling a bit. But than again, as you mention little to no differance, street / highway driving that is.

I'll try again.

A 18" wheel sits no higher than a 17" wheel if they both have the same size tire wrapped around them. For example, a 32" tire for an 18" wheel has the same overall diameter as a 32" tire for a 17" wheel. They just have different sized holes in the middle.

The biggest difference between two, apart from the visual one, is that the tire designed for an 18" wheel will have less flex in the sidewalls, which will give a firmer ride onroad and less ability to spread the contact area when aired down offroad.
    I believe, though please check your handbook to confirm, that your '06 conforms to the LATCH standard for safety seats. So I'd guess that any LATCH compatible seat will work, regardless of price.
  • xthecatxthecat Member Posts: 30
    Got it.....thanks
  • goducks1goducks1 Member Posts: 432
    I may be the most old school person on this thread and its predecessor--circa 2001--and this is a bad, bad idea. There are not enough posts to keep multiple threads alive here. Please reconsider this.
  • wheelsdownwheelsdown Member Posts: 250
    Exactly what ducks says. (All of it)

This is one of the best forums ever, anyplace.

Never has another one had the feeling and help provided by this one.

Terry
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    That's an uncharacteristically defeatist attitude coming from this group! This is one of my favorites on the entire site and I know we'll be able to work something out that will both fit the requirements and keep us all together under one roof. Let's put all that four wheeling ingenuity to work and figure something out! :)

tidester, host
  • fairviewfairview Member Posts: 20
    So Tidester, when you italicized "requirements" in this post, was that to tell us that someone upstairs has made a decision and we have to live with it, whether we like it or not?
    So as well as the many narrowly focused problem question threads, each with just a couple of responses, what's the problem with having a "Jeep Wrangler:General Discussion"? I'm sure it's not a lack of server space, though if it's a question of size for search purposes why not archive it every five or ten thousand posts, "Jeep Wrangler:General Discussion (i)", "Jeep Wrangler:General Discussion (ii)" for example.
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    Here's a topic:
    "Newbies who can't figure out how the Search Button works- Ask your stupid question here!!!"
    :P
    You can read about the rationale behind the changes in Forums Software! Your Questions Answered....

I am thinking we can set up some kind of "Meet the members" topic under Wrangler that would let us keep the dialog going while at the same time developing the desired "fine grained structure" for the boards.

tidester, host
    Be nice! We're trying to encourage "lurkers" to participate and many find comments like that intimidating.

tidester, host
    What is wrong with "Jeep Wrangler:General Discussion" as suggested by mac24?

Terry
  • eltipoeltipo Member Posts: 21
    I've been a lurker for about a year and a half and still consider myself a newbie. I have to say I look forward to reading the forum every morning when I get to work no matter what the topic because it is always, somehow, about jeeps. I have posted a handful of times with questions specific to my vehicle ('05 Unlimited) and for the most part I have had no problems searching the conversations to look for answers to the questions I have. The community draws me back every day.

I just want to say its nice to have conversations in between the wrenching. I will continue to lurk, but I'd hate to see this space change from its current format.

Thanks everyone,
    :)
  • 99tj99tj Member Posts: 187
    I agree with what everyone else has said. I don't post very often, but enjoy reading general comments about Jeeps and how they affect people in their everyday lives.

The community feel is why there are 20,000+ posts. If they are worried about the large size, I agree with Mac's idea of archiving after hitting a certain established number.

If users are allowed to create topics, it will spiral out of control and quickly....and be much more difficult to search.

my 2 cents :)
    -Dan
    Here's our new home for general discussions and socializing: Jeep Wrangler: Meet the Members!. Post early and often and be sure to bookmark the discussion. :)

tidester, host
  • highdeserthighdesert Member Posts: 12
    I too am a regular lurker and occasional poster. The "Jeep Wrangler" forum is one of about four sites (the others are news sites) that I visit daily. I visit to get information and to see what's going on with others. I get lots of Jeep information and I truly appreciate what the "regulars" contribute to the "community". I'm not going to get irate over the issue of changing the forum but I may not find the new experience to be enjoyable and if not...I'll simply disappear. My leaving won't hurt the community in a significant way but I would think that Edmunds would care.

If Edmunds wants increased site hits then it needs lots of posts. Now let's see...posts in response to questions usually come from the community faithful. If you run the "community faithful" off then you get no answers and less content; hence, likely fewer visitors. Then who will provide content? I respect the service that the site hosts provide but they cannot replace the cumulative knowledge base that the community provides. I think its foolish to tick off the community.

Edmunds and its advertisers want me to see ads. I also have an F150 and there is another site that I visit when I have a problem with my F150. It seems to me that that is the type of use that Edmunds wants for their site. I visit the F150 site 3 times per year to get specific information vs. probably 300 visits per year to this site to both get info and follow the community. Now, if you were an advertiser which site would you want to spend your money on? My advertising dollar would go to the site with the most visits, i.e. the biggest community.

The bottom line...I don't want to have to go to all of the "sub sites" to get both technical information and to follow what's going on in the community. If that's what Edmunds wants to do then I will regrettably go somewhere else to have a more enjoyable experience. If that happens I'd like to say thanks to the active regulars: Tom, Paul, Mac, Mtngal, and the rest of the crew. It's been fun and I've both enjoyed your input and learned lots.

Dennis :cry:
    I don't want to have to go to all of the "sub sites" ...

See my previous posting. The new page will look amazingly familiar just as soon as all of you drop in! :)

tidester, host
  • highdeserthighdesert Member Posts: 12
    "I don't want to have to go to all of the "sub sites" to get both technical information and to follow what's going on in the community."

For example, if I ask a question about hydraulic winches on the community site and Mac answers on the community site, what happens to the post? Will I find the answer where I posted the question or will the hosts create a new topic on winches?

Or...what happens if you have an topic area dedicated to winches and Mac (for example) isn't watching that area...am I as likely to get an answer?

By the way...thanks for replying.

Dennis
    That's the big question, isn't it? Who's going to be providing the answers?

I can only speak for myself, but at the moment I track this forum and the Jeep Wrangler:Problems and Solutions one. If you go to the You are here: at the top of the page and click on the first Jeep Wrangler you will see a page full of separate Jeep topics, most of which are individual questions, and most with a response only in single digits.

I can only imagine how many there will be as this implementation goes ahead. I'll continue to track this forum (and then the one it morphs into), plus the aforementioned P&S one, but that's as far as it goes. I hang out here because so far it's been enjoyable, but it's not my job!

I don't mean to imply that I'm the only one that answers questions here, I'm certainly not, but I think more people come here initially with a question, rather than to answer one. I don't see where the 'answer people' are going to come from that will be needed to monitor all the new narrowly focused topics.
    what happens to the post?

Good question! I'm trying to come up with solutions that will make all parties happy and I think we're almost there. :)

My first reaction to your question is that if the question is of sufficiently general interest (along with the answer!) we could ask the person who posed the question to post or repost it in an appropriate topic or one of the hosts could move the entire thread to the right location. On the other hand, if a question and answer sequence relates to a very narrow issue then we'd just leave it where it is. (And don't ask for definitions of "sufficiently general interest" and "very narrow issue" because I don't know them yet!)

Incidentally, I do appreciate the feedback I'm getting from everyone here!

In the meantime, let's pick up the discussion in Jeep Wrangler: Meet the Members!.

tidester, host
  • Hi Tom - I end up working my way from old posts to new as I only seem to get in here in spurts...I think as my work-stress level increases I find the good folks like you on the forum here is some form of therapy for me :D

Can you fill us in on the results from the KJ group at TB? I'd be curious how everyone came through with their Liberty's if you can share any observations.
    I end up working my way from old posts to new as I only seem to get in here in spurts...

Keep reading jimlw2. You need to reach the end before you get locked out.

The continuation of this forum is here: Jeep Wrangler:Meet the Members
  • Man, I see what you mean...Just like so many of my favorite places to eat out and/or enjoy a drink that get torn down and replaced by banks or an Applebee's...Yet one more time to say "nothing ever stays the same these days"...bummer.

Here's to hoping this great forum of Jeep Wrangler dialog stays so well-alive in the new format.
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    I guess this discussion is still open to new posts?

Man, I have been away for a few days, and I come back and find all these proposed changes!

Well, Edmunds apparently has some kind of vision for the boards that is far different from what we have had here in Jeep Wrangler up until now. It's certainly their prerogative to make whatever changes they see fit. After all, we don't pay dues around here.

I don't see how we can continue to have the "community spirit" that we have enjoyed around here for so long, if we have to have separate discussions for every aspect of Jeep ownership.

I will certainly not try to visit 15 or 20 different discussion threads every day just to keep up with what folks are saying or to answer questions that newbies might be asking.

I'll stick around and see how things go, but I am not very optimistic right now.

Tom
    Have you hugged your Jeep today?

Oh, forgot to answer your question, Jim. The Libby's did OK for SUV's, but they could not begin to do what a Wrangler can do. That's OK, though, because they are not intended to do what a Wrangler can do.
    You've probably noticed new discussions appearing all over the forums. What's happening is that we are closing generic, everything-in-one pile discussions like this and creating smaller discussions that deal with specific areas of interest.

You'll find a number of discussions listed at the top level of this group: Jeep Wrangler. When you are ready to post, please check the discussion list there for the appropriate discussion to post in. If there doesn't appear to be a discussion for the issue or problem you have, feel free to create one. We can deal with accidental duplication of topics as things progress.

While you are at the top-level, don't forget to click on Track This Group. You will then be tracking all of the Jeep Wrangler discussions that are here, as well as any new ones as they are created.

Using Read New Posts will mean you won't miss anything on the Jeep Wrangler board. If a discussion pops up which doesn't interest you (or is closed), all you have to do is click on Remove Track within the discussion.

Thanks for your understanding and help in making this group a great resource of information for Jeep Wrangler owners!

Now ... past the boilerplate ... I just want to say that this is an exceptional group and I've truly enjoyed reading all of your enthusiastic posts over the years. Let's keep it going in our newly refurbished Jeep Wrangler: Meet the Members!

tidester, host
    Please go to Jeep Wrangler *Wave* & Meet to talk with other Wrangler owners!

tidester, host
    Enjoy!

tidester, host
  • bobcat82bobcat82 Member Posts: 13
    Thank you (all).
    Oh, Baby! Home again!

Tidester, turn up that thermostat a little. You must have had it set for a lower temperature while we were gone.

Did you remember to have the post office resume mail delivery? How about the newspaper? Did you get it started again?

Did you tell the neighbors we're back?

Thanks for listening to your members, Edmunds!

Now, Jeep Buds, let's try to do our part and direct newbies to the proper discussion for their particular problem, if there is an existing discussion on the subject. BUT, while they are here, we can certainly invite them to stick around for general discussions about Jeeps and become part of the family.

I think I can live with that modus operandi, how about the rest of you?

Tom
  • cwdobbercwdobber Member Posts: 12
    Glad it's back!!!
  • jacknimblejacknimble Member Posts: 171
    Thanks, Tidester. Most Excellent.
    Now, Jeep Buds, let's try to do our part ...

Thank YOU! :)

tidester, host

P.S. Who's gonna trim the lawn? Looks a bit shaggy.
    I will check out these spacers you are talking about. I am intrigued by the "controversy"... What could be so controversial about them? Do they break easily? Are they expensive?

Wheel spacers originally got a bad rep from bad castings and screw-on lug bolt extensions. Good quality ones like those from Spidertrax are fine. One downside of either spacers or a wheel with increased backspacing is that it places a higher load on the wheel bearings and shortens their life. However, spacers will allow you to keep your original wheels.

Either method should alleviate rubbing on the inside of the tire, but you may have problems with fender clearance offroad as the axle articulates. A lift will then be the next logical step.

Mac, I use those exact same Spidertrax spacers on my Canyon wheels to give me 4.25" of backspacing. You mention that is puts a higher load on the bearings, but how is a 5.5" BS wheel with 1.25" spacer (giving 4.25" BS) any different than the 4.25" BS wheel without a spacer? Many run 4 or even 3.75" BS on their Jeeps, so I'd like to understand just how a spacer will impact the bearings any more than an aftermarket wheel.

Not trying to flame, just understand.

-Paul
  • koolbreeze2koolbreeze2 Member Posts: 252
    Sounds good to me. Thanks Tidester and thanks to Edmunds for listening to its members. Some things just don't need to change. This seems to work for everyone. People can be directed to areas of specific interest and some can just hang out . Tom and Mac-have you heard form Mtngal(sp) since the fires in Calif.? Go easy Everyone, John
    Paul:

I'm sure Mac will speak up for himself, but I think he meant that either wheel spacers or lower backspacing in the wheels would put more stress on the bearings.

Tomster
    Tom, that is kinda what I expect. It would be more a function of the BS amount, vs how you got there (assuming you used a decent spacer, like the spidertrax).

No way would you get me using the 'traditional' spacers.

-Paul
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I'm pretty sure Mtngal posted after the Day Fire was put out, but she has been AWOL for a while now.
    No problem. What I said was "One downside of either spacers or a wheel with increased backspacing is that it places a higher load on the wheel bearings and shortens their life."

A spacer or a different wheel with backspacing equal to the spacer will both increase the load on the bearings by the same amount. Neither is better or worse than the other.
    Ya know. I missed that part entirely. That's what I get for reading early on a Monday. :)

-Paul
    Pics as promised to 'highdesert' over at 'Wave and Meet' the other day.

Like me, both the Jeep and winch are showing their age, however we're all functioning just fine! The only complaint I have with MM is the quality of the plating on the roller fairlead.

This all relates to: "Milemarker do supply a good kit complete with the right fittings and correct length hoses, it's just that they don't supply any instructions on how to lay it out! Duh! I guess I'll have to take some pics. Instead of pointing the hoses to the passenger side, then doubling back and going under the grille, I led them toward the driver's side then along the frame rail and on up into the engine compartment. That way you remove the original HP hose and use both the MM supplied ones. I also mounted the supplied breaker inside the control box, then mounted the control box under the hood to protect it from the elements.

I'll post pics in a day or so over in Jeep Wrangler.
    "
    Great!!!!!

Thank you.

Terry
    Is your TJ Paint Code PGF? :)

Looks like the same color as mine. :)

-Paul
  • 4rider4rider Member Posts: 96
    After years of whishing and hoping I have finally got my very first Jeep, a 05 Sport with no mods yet. This is NOT a mall goer for me and I Can't wait to go to a OHV place soon. Some questins I have:

1) I am thinking about adding a hardtop. Is Bestop 2-piece hardtop any good?

2) I have Dana 44 an rear disc brakes. How do I find out whether I have limited split with it or not?

3) Does the stock Ravine wheel have enough backspace clearance for a 32" if I have some sort of lift installed.
    "After years of whishing and hoping I have finally got my very first Jeep, a 05 Sport with no mods yet. This is NOT a mall goer for me and I Can't wait to go to a OHV place soon. Some questins I have:

1) I am thinking about adding a hardtop. Is Bestop 2-piece hardtop any good?

2) I have Dana 44 an rear disc brakes. How do I find out whether I have limited split with it or not?

3) Does the stock Ravine wheel have enough backspace clearance for a 32" if I have some sort of lift installed."

4rider:

Congratulations on your first Jeep! You only THINK you know how much fun they are, but wait til you REALLY see how much fun you can have with one!

I'm glad to hear that you plan to get that puppy out on the trails. Your Jeep will love you for that.

Please, don't feel that you have to go crazy on mods right away. Unless you are going to tackle some EXTREME terrain, you can have lots of fun and go some pretty amazing places with a bone stock Jeep.

I would LOVE to get you out on the trails at Turkey Bay. One of my great pleasures in life is seeing newbies discover the awesome off road capability of their bone stock Jeep.

Your questions...

1. I have no experience with the Bestop 2 piece, but Bestop makes very realiable stuff, and they make the original equipment soft tops for DC (not sure who makes the original equipment hardtop).

2. I think you mean "Limited Slip." I don't know if you purposely sought a Jeep with the Dana 44 rear end, but you are VERY fortunate to have one of those, if you are going to off road much.

There should be some kind of tag on the differential housing, I believe. One way to find out about not only your differential but EVERYTHING about how your Jeep was equipped from the factory, including MUCH more info than even the window sticker would have had, is to order a factory build sheet. Go to post number 18,620, and you will see how to get your build sheet. They are free from DC.

3. Do a search on "backspacing" and you will find all the info you need on the subject.

Welcome to Edmunds Jeep Wrangler, and please stick around and become one of the family.

Tom

P.S. Where do you live? I would be glad to serve as your trail guide, if you could get to Turkey Bay OHV Area in Land Between the Lakes National Recreation Area in western KY.
    I believe you have a '97, in which case the green you have was continued into '98, but changed in '99 (my year) just slightly and given a new name. The interior color was changed at that point also, as was the color of both the hard and soft top.

I'll check the code and color names tomorrow.
    To elaborate on what Tom said, he DOES SERIOUSLY enjoy taking new Jeep owners out on the trails. How do I know this? I was one of em. I had a business meeting in Alabama (from California) and made a point to come out early and fly into Nashville. I drove up to Turkey Bay and got to ride with him and Ross Allen in his Thelma Jane. I knew at that point, my TJ was going to be offroaded!

I had the fortunate opportunity to move to Alabama and have enjoyed wheeling with Tom on multiple occasions, though not as often as I'd like. I've seen him take many others under his wing and show em a good time on the trails. He won't let you put yourself into a precarious situation if you're not ready. :)

To address your concerns a bit:
    1. A guy we wheel with has one and is looking to sell it. He lives in TN, and prefers the soft top most of the time. He has zero complaints about it. I've thought about buying one myself, for security and peace of mind.

2. Not sure on the LS. If you plan to offroad, you may end up putting a locker in anyway. IIRC, the only TJ's that had a LS in the back was the Rubicon, whose locker acted as a LS when not engaged. Mac will probably correct me though. :)

3. The Ravine wheel has 5.5" of backspacing and can fit a 31" tire with no problems, with potentially a minor adjustment of the steering stops required (www.4x4xplor.com/steerstop.html). As to whether they 'fit', it depends if you are going to wheel it or not (sounds like you are). Optimally to fit 32's, you'll probably need a minor lift (2" budget boost is VERY popular) and some smaller backspacing (about 4-4.5") to make your wheels stick out a bit more.

You mentioned something about if you have a small lift installed. If you already have that, 32's should probably fit.

Tom, Mac, and I all run the OME lift (Old Man Emu) which provides aftermarket shocks and springs. EXCELLENT ride, both on and offroad. BTW, Tom, how is your lift doing at TB?

As we discussed in previous topics, this smaller backspacing can be achieved via new aftermarket wheels or, if you really love your Ravines (I love my Canyons), you can add SpiderTrax wheel spacers. The smaller backspacing MAY cause more wear on the hub, regardless of choice (wheel or spacer), but on my 97, I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary and I've been running them over 1 year now.

-Paul