Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Protege5

Comments

• estoesto Member Posts: 136
    Could someone please let me know what the exact distances are between the mounting holes on the front speakers? Are the holes arranged in a symmetric rectangle? (And the speakers are 6x9, right?). I have an old set of speakers that I'm considering putting in.

Erik
  • bluong1bluong1 Member Posts: 1,927
    may be you could estimate grossly the distance from this picture:

http://www.astolfo.com/p5/p5install.asp?track=2&mode=9

Bruno

• th83th83 Member Posts: 164
    and I saw the pic that shows where the person put the amps. Well, the placement of the amps is not what I'm worried about, it's the car's upholstery. Isn't it supposed to be black? It's purple! Does that mean that if I get an ES/P5 my seats are going to turn purple shortly after I buy the car? Geez, I hope not.
  • dsm6dsm6 Member Posts: 813
    I believe those are 6x8s, could be remembering wrong, though.
  • mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    If the 5x7s have additional mounting flanges to fit into a 6x8 opening.

The rear speakers in a Pro SEDAN are 6x9s.
    How hard and costly to add the two new additional tweeters on the old P5?

Bruno
  • sharonfsharonf Member Posts: 120
    Question,
    when i got my P5 I found a little black sitcker...with the Mazda logo, and "get in, be moved"....and on the bottom...it had an inspected by section...for I think the person's name and date? Anyways....I believe this sticker was in my glove box(with my wheel locks). Did others actually have someone signed off on this sticker and perhaps it was on the windshield or something? I'm just curious if this is another indication that my pre-inspection was not completed. I want to arm myself properly when I visit my dealer on Saturday!
    Sharon
  • protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
    You didn't have your sticker signed???? I think your warranty is now null and void...Sorry :(

HAHAAHA Just kidding!!
    There's no need for that sticker. If the pre-inspection was not completed properly, YOU should be the one that is ticked off!

When I picked up my Pro, they had a checklist that they went through and then they gave me a copy of it.
  • sunbyrnesunbyrne Member Posts: 210
    The front doors have 5x7/6x8 speakers, mouting depth 2.5 inches. The rear doors take 6.5" speakers, mounting depth is 2.0" according to Mazda, but people have reported more like 2.2".

Numerous people have successfully installed 6.5" speakers in the front with an adapter they've fabricated out of plywood or MDF.

My new speakers (JBL GTO605c 6.5" components up front, JBL GTO635 6.5" coaxials rear) will be arriving next week. I'll be sure to put something on my P5 Web page about the install process, including the tweeter mounting. I'm not sure yet where I'll mount the tweeters, whether I'll go in the door near the woofers or up on the sailplane--I'll have to see how they sound in both spots.
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    Just another sign that it wasn't done. It should be initialed and stuck on the right rear passenger window. As Mike noted, you should have the inspection sheet.
  • dagpotterdagpotter Member Posts: 71
    Mine was on the back passenger side window unsigned. Does this mean it was half done? I took it off. I did a walkaround with the salesman.
    Protege fan.....
    I wasn't trying to make a big deal about my sticker not being signed....merely trying to figure out if other peoples were or not....as a sign of my pre-inspection not being done(as Maltb) said.
    You don't know what I've been going through with this dealer since they got my money....and the more info I have to confront them with when I go in Saturday the better. That was the point of my question to the group.

Maltb - Thanks again for the info.
  • randallb2randallb2 Member Posts: 4
    http://www.protege5online.com/ - go to "Tech Help". I've not used their services, but info might be helpful. BTW, my preinspec sticker was unsigned in the owner's manual folder - I'm not worried!
    Sorry if I came across as a Jacka$$....Was just trying to inject a little humor. My intent was not to make fun of you in anyway. :)
  • dsattlerdsattler Member Posts: 135
    I haven't checked on the P5, but Crutchfield (www.crutchfield.com) generally has complete information on speaker sizes, depths, etc.
  • dsm6dsm6 Member Posts: 813
    All I need to know about Canadians, I learned from the Red Green Show. Oh, and SCTV (especially Bob and Doug - Strange Brew!). Oh, and Rush. Well, Grandpa was Canadian. OK, so I know alot, eh? ;-)
  • mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    You hoser.

Meade
    LOL!!! Canadian humor...hehehehe...how come all you Americans know about Rush and Strange Brew?? I think that's hilarious!!

Umm....P5 topic...umm...anybody put an air intake onto their P5 yet (besides Krotine)?
  • the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    MAPP3 is tomorrow!
  • mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    Actually it wasn't the movie that was such a hit. It was the show on SCTV, followed by the record (uh, ALBUM) that became a cult classic! For years my brothers and I greeted each other with, "Like, howzit goin' eh?

And yes, MAPP III is tomorrow! You should get out more, Hank. I've been screaming my fingers off over on the Protege topic and in the Yahoo group.

Meade
  • sunbyrnesunbyrne Member Posts: 210
    I would take the Crutchfield fit guide with a very large grain of salt. They list only four 6.5" speakers as fitting in the rear doors, not including several models which I know people have fit in there with no trouble (e.g. Infinity Reference 652i).
  • newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    What about Tom Green? Are you Canadiens too embarrassed to claim Tom Green?
    Duct Tape Forever...that's all I have to say about that. :D
  • SporinSporin Member Posts: 1,066
    If the women can't find you handsome, they might as well find you handy!
  • reitrofreitrof Member Posts: 122
    No such thing as too much duct tape.
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    The June issue of Car and Driver has a comparison of the P5 vs. a flock of other cars...

The P5 was rated the best of the bunch!!!

Of course, we already knew this.

rich
  • mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    They know a well-designed vehicle when they drive one.

Unlike the other review (R&T) where they compare it against a Matrix (with the 180hp engine) and an Impreza WRX wagon. It came in second, mostly for lesser cargo space (I argue this one) and relative lack of power (can't argue against this one).

They pack band equipment into each. Of course, they don't bother flipping the passenger seat forward in either the P5 or WRX, but fold the front passenger seat in the Matrix. Naturally, this makes the Matrix look WAY better than the others because they can put a case and a guitar on top of the seat, whereas they stack these on top of the pile in the other two. The Matrix has more cargo space, but not THAT much more. From the pics it appears the P5 and Impreza are close (maybe another 1-2inches of length in the Impreza).
  • barresa62barresa62 Member Posts: 1,379
    in Motortrend. :-)

"Unlike the other review (R&T) where they compare it against a Matrix (with the 180hp engine) and an Impreza WRX wagon."

Stephen
    Okay...so I just got home from bringing my P5 back to the dealer to have the lil scratch in the leather fixed, sunroof checked, and the "pre-delivery" inspection that seems it was never done. I miss my baby already...felt bad leaving her there...so far away..lol.
    I probably won't get the car back until Monday at the earliest...and in the meantime have to drive the ford taurus they gave me with "www.fremontford.com" on the back window!! YUK!!!
    Can't wait to get my car back...hopefully they don't mess anything up!!! I don't have much faith in this dealership!
    Sharon
  • mustang87mustang87 Member Posts: 129
    i never mentioned anything about proteges. a lot of cars need lube especially the older ones so why read between the lines and nitpick every little thing?
    "A good, trusted, independent mechanic is worth his weight in gold... clearly mustang87 hasn't found such a mechanic. "

you are right sporin, i haven't found a decent one. a good mechanic doesn't only fix your car and doesn't rip you off, but also doesn't get his dirty fingerprints all over the hood or my steering wheel, doesn't plays with and runs my AC for no reason, does not use my car to drag race some moron when he is out test driving it, and does not leaves tools on top of the car and does not lean on it for no reason. cars are not made to be lean on. everytime you lean on them, you leave another scratch mark and your fender, hood, trunk get misalligned.
    no power gains whatsoever. no mpg gains. i also removed the air silencer and that made it louder, deeper but i would not advise against k&n but i dont see a reason to recommend it either. the money you spend on it, the money you spend on the cleaner/charger kit and the time you spend cleaning it would equal the same amount of money you would spend if you buy a new decent regular air filter and replace it every oil change. plus there is no downtime because you don't need to clean it and wait for it to drive. that oil on the k&n eventually gets sucked onto the mas and screws it up. now, if you still want it, i'll sell you mine for $15 with only 5k miles on it :)

btw, isn't acura 1.6el in canada same thing as a honda civic with diffrent lights?
  • jstandeferjstandefer Member Posts: 805
    I hope you guys had fun at MAPP III... I'm jealous! But, at least I'm taking the lead on the first (and very late) California meet!

The meet will be held in Ventura, CA, June 16 at 1:00pm. I have put together a website for everyone with directions, pics, and so forth...

http://www.caliprotegemeet.1hwy.com

I want this to be a huge success!!

-Jerry

Anyone know if there's a way to remove scratches on the dash....mainly on the area right about the glove box...with the "holey" looking material? Seems my mutt scratched it a lil - she likes to act like she's navigating...front paws on the dash ...GRRRRR
    Anyways...I my car is at the dealer now so I don't have my manual...but I seem to remember reading not to put any "glazing" agents on the dash.
    Also, I've read different opinions about washing...some say just wash and wax...some say wash, cleaner, wax....some wash, polish, wax.....what has everyone had the most success with? I'm hoping the first option!
    Sharon
    The 1.6 EL is basically an "Acura-ized" Civic. Same platform, just more amenities that you would expect from an Acura. OF course there are minor body design differences, but same engine, same suspension, etc.

Sharonf:
    In terms of cleaning, I would wax about every 3 months or so (or until water stops beading on your car), and wash about every week or so. Of course, I don't have time to wash every week, so every couple or few weeks does me fine.

I would avoid a cleaner wax. It doesn't shine as well as a true "pure" carnauba wax, and it also has some minor abrasives in it.

For the best shine, I would go with a 3 step system, but only use the first step about twice a year. The system involves first washing the car, then applying a 1) pre-wax cleaner, 2) glaze and sealer, and 3) carnauba wax.

The pre-wax cleaner is a polish and only needs to be done once or twice a year. The glaze and sealer will help hide any minor suface imperctions like swirl marks and small scratches. Finally, the wax protects and gives a nice shine to the paint.

Be sure to use 100% cotton (terry) towels or micro-fiber cloths.

Avoid car washes that have the big roller brushes....AKA car washes of death! I don't even like the touchless washes...they do a poor job.

I find it really rewarding washing and waxing my car...except for seeing all the chips and scratches that manage to mess up your paint
  • silver_bulletsilver_bullet Member Posts: 1,339
    I doubt you'll be able to do much to remove claw marks from the vinyl dash - try using a mild interior cleaner followed by a low gloss vinyl dressing, then buff off the excess to kill the shine. IMO, dogs (like kids) belong in the back - and I'd put the pooch ALL the way in the back. If the passenger side airbag deploys, it'll kill your furry friend pretty quick :(
    Jerry,

If you haven't already...you may want to advertise the Cali meet at http://forum.protegemp3.com/vbb225/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=49

I'ts a forum for all Protege owners...all generations...all trim levels. I'd post it for you myself but for some reason I'm having problems getting the email from the moderator clearing me to post...so all I can do as of now is read >:(

If I can find someone to ride with me, I may go....we'll see.

Sharon
    Thanks for the info....I'll make my shopping list for my next auto supply store visit!
    I kinda figured I'm stuck with the doggie scratches. Here I was worried that she'd scratch the leather...and it's the dash that got it...but at least it's not really noticeable. I do think I'll try to contain her to the back seat from now on when I really have to have her in the car.
    I just saw some pics of the interior of the pre-re-fresh P5's and noticed that they didn't have this "holey" section right about the glove box that I referred to......rather just the same material as the dash. Sorry if I had you wondering what the hell I was talking about!!
    Sharon
    i have a "pre-re-fresh" p5 and i have the "holey" material above the dash as well as on the steering wheel, brake handle and somewhere else i forgot :)
    Oh....guess it varies by car then. I think it's also somewhere on the doors....
    sharon
  • jstandeferjstandefer Member Posts: 805
    I have posted the meet up on the MP3/Pro5 forum. Where would you be coming from?

-Jerry
    Are glaze and seale also abrasive?

I apply Nu Finish product on my car, twice a year. The second application on the P5 has to be done in few days...

Bruno
  • jas9297jas9297 Member Posts: 26
    Hello. I test drove the Vibe and Pro5. I liked the drive and price of the Pro5 better, but the utility and fuel economy of the Vibe better.

I'm thinking of buying the Pro5 ($16,400 with ABS, moonroof, side bags, and 5spd - is that good?).

However, Can you tell me how the Pro5 performs on fuel economy? Does it match the EPA ratings?

THANKS
  • jim_loves_carsjim_loves_cars Member Posts: 190
    That's a really good price. It's probably not the "Midcycle Refresh" car -- which includes side marker lights and two tweeters in the doors -- but who cares?! That's a seriously sweet price.

Most people have been reporting lower MPG than the EPA ratings, but that's typical. People who drive their P5's hard seem to get low to mid-20's for their MPG. Those who take it easy on the highway have exceeded the EPA ratings. Like I said, typical.

What color BTW?

-jim
    As I understand it, a "pure polish" is non-abrasive. I believe it works by filling in minor scratches and enriching the paint with oils. A "sealer and glaze" works in that way.

Be careful though, as some products labelled as polishes work by being abrasive and actually removing layers of clearcoat/paint.
    I would be coming from the San Jose area
    Sharon
    I'm wondering how people are coming up with their MPG.....I've only had to fill up once so far...but it appears the low fuel light comes on with about 1.5 gallons left? Are you just dividing the miles traveled up to that point and dividing by the 13 gallons used?
    Since I don't know if my tank was really full FULL upon pick-up at the dealership...I'm gonna see how far this current tank gets me....cuz with that first one after pick-up of the car...it only came to about 20mpg.
    Sharon
  • dagpotterdagpotter Member Posts: 71
    I just gassed for the first time...and I got 27 mpg in mixed driving...I am babying the car as it only has 200 miles on it, so I was not as lead footed as I usually am. I will be very happy if I continue with 27.

I would think the manual would be a little lower, even with those options.
  • alternatoralternator Member Posts: 629
    Waxing, etc. go to:

http://www.autopia-carport.com/index.php?s=&action=home

For free download of a "detailing" E-book, go to:

http://www.properautocare.com/freguidtodet.html

I am sure that everyone can get something of value from these two sources. I have no personal connection with either web site.

This discussion has been closed.