Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Protege5

Comments

• iamziamz Member Posts: 542
    It does add a second bar on top of the factory bar. If you want to see what it looks like, go to www.thuleracks.com and look up the 89 Velo Vise Fork Mount Rack Pack.

If you want to really see what it looks like on the P5, I can email you a picture of my car with the rack and bike mounted. My profile has my e-mail address.
  • imapseudonymimapseudonym Member Posts: 3
    Whew... just read a couple months worth of back posts... tiring.

I am about to join your ranks, but am undecided between the pre/post-refresh versions of the car. Don't care much about tweeters in the door or leather accessories. The auto-stick seemed fun but I can only think of a few times when it would be genuinely useful - as a novelty it would be worth a few extra bucks but here is the question:

The normal a/t has been around for a while and thoroughly tested/refined - is this the first car Mazda has used this version of the sportmatic on? As a rule of thumb, the more complex something is the more it will break - does anybody know enough about the details of how this works/how reliable other similar transmissions have been to speculate on its durability compared to the older version?

TIA
  • jstandeferjstandefer Member Posts: 805
    The sport automatic transmission is new to the U.S. market, but it has been used since 1998 on the Japanese market Familia Sport 20, which is basically a Protege5 equipped with the FS-ZE 170hp motor and all-wheel drive.

In actuality, it is probably just the same transmission with different programming. It really is not more complex. All that has been added is manual control over the computer's shift-points. In other words, normally, the computer will send shift commands to the transmission... the Sport Auto does the same for Drive mode, but waits for driver input for the sport mode.

-Jerry
  • mmdorfmmdorf Member Posts: 8
    Below is a link to pics I took of my P5:

http://68.5.60.33:8080/pictures/Zoom%20Zoom/

Nice pics. I sure wish I had a yellow P5.....Oh wait!....that's right, I do!!! ;) hehehe.
  • mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    Rub it in a bit more. :)
  • joe2617joe2617 Member Posts: 88
    You should drive the sport auto. It shifts smooth as butter.
  • bococartoonsbococartoons Member Posts: 8
    Does anyone know if mazda will produce a mazdaspeed protege5 sport wagon along with their upcoming Mazdaspeed Protege sedan? If they did I would take it over an SVT Focus in a second!
  • kad6kad6 Member Posts: 10
    Hi, i'm new here. New posting in here anyway. So i've been reading a lot about this P5 and today decide to make the jump and buy my first new car. I check the inventory of the closest dealer and find that they have a fully loaded P5. So i get over there take a quick test drive, and really like the car. I'm in Chicago, by the way, so I went to a dealer in Evanston. I noticed a Nissan dealer on the way there so I leave an go test drive an Altima. It's a bit expensive when loaded with what the P5 has so I come back to the Mazda dealer and tell em I'm ready to talk. He starts the price at 21grand, thinking I'm some dumbass. Obviously I tell his that price isn't fair, and I want a reasonable offer or I'm leaving. He offers 500 over invoice, which has about 19,600. I tell him I want no more that 100 over, or I'm leaving and he says okay. I'm happy at this point. Still a high price at 19 but I didn't think I could get a better deal for one with all the options. So we fill out the paperwork and wait, a total of 2 hours spent. THEN after everything and right when we're ready to sign the final papers, he drops a bomb. THE CAR HAS 1400 MILES ON IT. You don't know how mad I was. I has paying 19grand for a new car, not a demo with 1400 miles. He says that the one of the managers had been using it as his car to get home and back. I'm ready to leave and look inside the car, and the plastic has been pulled off. I think that the price is for a new car and not a demo, and I'll buy the car, but when the price is right. I ask the saleman, John, that 4000 off the price is okay. I mean at this point I'm buying a USED CAR. The manager comes over acting like it's our fault, and rudely says I'll go below 300 the invoice. I think it's time to leave. A demo with 1400 miles shouldn't be advertised as a brand new car, far less priced the same as one. Well screw the manager, and screw the AutoBarn in Evanston. I'm NEVER going back there, hell if they want to give me the car for 4000 under invoice. I really feel like they have done wrong. It would of been fine to tell me before the paperwork, so I know what I'm buying. Oh well. I hope they burn to the ground. Looks like I'll find a dealer further away, or just spend a bit more and get an Altima. I'm sorry about the long post but I really had to get that out.

Kad
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    The car was new though, he did not lie about that. A car is considered new if it has never been titled, and that one had not, right? So there you go. It was not right what he did to you though, and I would call Mazda NA and complain and also write a letter to the dealership's manager.
  • bluong1bluong1 Member Posts: 1,927
    Sorry to hear about the rip off they wanted to make on you. The only thing popping in my head now is: be patient, take time and try to find a car you really want. Do not get another car just because you had a bad experience with this dealer. You'll regret later if you make such decision.

Bruno
    But still there is a big difference between a "new" car with zero miles and a "new" car with 1400 miles right?
    I know I'll still buy a Protege5.
    Just from a different dealer.
    But it will take longer now to find it and to go get it. :(
    Complaining to Mazda would be hard and a waste of my time anyway, i'm thinking now.

oh well
    Man they even gave me the keys.
    that was a coool car.
    I should be happy that I can afford one as a first car though, even though the first try at getting it had some problems.

Oh and what do you think about that price, 100 over invoice? Is it good or can I get better? I wantta know for monday when I go check out another dealer.
  • sharonfsharonf Member Posts: 120
    Kad,
    Don't know if you're looking at the re-fresh model and exactly what options you are interested in. You should check out Edmunds TMV and also CarsDirect.com.......that should give you a good idea about what a decent price is. You might even consider placing an order w/CarsDirect to see if they can find the car you want for you. I got mine that way and was very pleased with them....not too pleased w/the dealership....but CarsDirect treated me well.
    Good luck....and don't give up!! It'll be worth it in the end.
    Sharon
  • the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    I don't know about you, but that sounds expensive for a 'loaded' p5. Just how loaded was it?

good thing you left before signing the papers. Should never let them slip by you like that. But I'm wondering, when you were test driving the car, did you check out the odometer????

anyway, 19,600 for a 'loaded' P5 sounds too fishy. I wonder if they 'manufactured' a fishy invoice price for you to see :(
    they had the car with the options i wanted in the warehouse, and i test drove a demo outside, so i didn't know until they brought the real car out from the warehouse.
    :(
    it wasn't the refreshed one and it had these options:
    OPTION: AB3 = ABS WITH SIDE AIRBAGS
    OPTION: AW3 = 16in. POLISHED ALLOY WHEELS
    OPTION: AT1 = 4-SPD AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION W/OVERDRIVE
    OPTION: MR1 = POWER SLIDING GLASS MOONROOF
    OPTION: CDC = IN-DASH 6-CD CHANGER
    OPTION: CGN = CARGO NET
    OPTION: FLM = CARPETED FLOOR MATS
    OPTION: MND = MOONROOF DEFLECTOR
    OPTION: PSL = PERIMETER SHOCK SENSOR ALARM
    OPTION: WLK = WHEEL LOCKS

after doing the edmunds price thing i get
    $18,730 invoice
    $20,610 msrp
    $19,659 tmv

so the invoice he showed me was a bit high
    about 150 more :(

a lot of options i didn't want like the 6cd changer or security system, but i really wanted the moonroof and none of the cars came with the moonroof and not the other junk.

well i sent in a search at carsdirect, so i'll see how that turns up, maybe i'll find a car without all those stupid options

i'm kinda glad i didn't get the car now... maybe i'll find a better suited for me p5! :)

btw... the payment for the car was 390 in the end for 5 years at 2.9 apr and no down payment

thanks for your input people :)
  • the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    as a side note, you should ALWAYS test the car that you will be buying, not a demo and then they bring one out from the lot.

be patient! I'm sure you'll find that p5 that fits your needs perfectly!!
  • bsum70bsum70 Member Posts: 37
    I am looking for a 5 door wagon (or whatever you call them). I do a lot of driving at night and I would like to know how the headlights perform on the P5. Thanks for your input.
    My 43 mile one way commute to work in the mornings often has me arriving at work long before the sun wakes up. This is all back road driving with no street lights and way to many deer standing by the side of the road ready to dart out in front of me. In either lowbeam or highbeam the P5 is my best car yet for good night time visibility.
    I should point out that the driving lights are useless. As set from the factory they are aimed about 15' in front of the car.

They can be adjusted but it is a royal pain in the [non-permissible content removed].

Has Mazda fixed this yet? Anyone with a P5 built in the last few months have a different experience?
  • aardvark_markaardvark_mark Member Posts: 95
    Hello all,

I'm in Canada for a couple of weeks and love the look of the p5 without any roof rack or roof rack rails.. is it possible to remove the roof rack rails on the American p5?..

Regards ~m
  • alternatoralternator Member Posts: 629
    I listed a Gates Rubber Co. website:

http://www.gates.com/brochure.cfm?brochure=981&location_id=540

that contains their "Timing Belt Replacement Guide".

In that guide, the 2001 Mazda 2.0L DOHC (Protege and 626) engine was indicated as being of the "Interfering" type.

Through further contact with Gates, I have been assured by them that their data was in error, and said engine is the "Non-Interfering" type. They will be correcting their guide accordingly.

Sorry to have put forth misinformation, even if I did so unknowningly

• mudflatmudflat Member Posts: 47
    Those are intended to be used as foglights, not driving lights. That's why Mazda aimed them the way they did. Anyway, their candlepower is too low to make good driving lights.
  • bsum70bsum70 Member Posts: 37
    OK, so that big acessary light is actually fog (Frog) light. Can you switch on without turning on the low beam?? It make a lot of sense for letting the fog light on without turning on the low beam.
    Thanks
  • subyaudidudesubyaudidude Member Posts: 136
    Yes, the roof rack on the P5 is removeable. We removed them from my wife's P5 about two days after we got the car.

The fog lights can only be on w/ the low beams. Yes, that's odd, but what can we do? Their purpose is to light up the lane lines in the fog, which is why they're not aimed forward.
    I had my fog lights on my 2001 Protege ES rewired at a local stereo shop, so they would work with only the parking lights or the low beams. It cost me like $25 to have done. Check into it.
    I went past the Mazda dealer today, and thought I would stop in. Went right to the parked cars in the back, and found a mid-cycle P5. It said "mid-cycle refresh" right on the sticker, with the options. The side lights look tacked on, but still cool. Like the new wheels as well. Leather looked nice from what I saw as well.

I did notice something though. The sport auto makes you flick the stick back to upshift and forward to downshift. Isn't this kinda backwards? I have a Jetta with Tiptronic, and it's the other (logical) way around.
    The dealer I met with before called, offered any car on the lot at invoice but I had to turn em down.
    Now I'm looking at another P5 at another dealer, and it has everything I'm looking for at more, except for the ABS and Side Airbags option. I wanted to know what you guys think about the importance of this option, especially to a new driver. The dealer said he'll give it to me for "17,866 this does included freight, destination, and all current incentives." So they probably already chopped of 750 instead of the interest option to make the price look lower. But I want the 2.9 financing for 5 years so the price will be more like 18, 500. That's with every option minus the ABS and airbags, leather, and the special mirror. Still a bit loadedd for me, but I'm finding that these cars either have it all, or jus standard features. And I REALLY want that moonroof. :) thanks for your help... :)

kad

edit: I just found out this is the refreshed model(because it says it has 2 extra tweeter speakers... whatever those are). should that increase the value any?
    edit: I live in Chicago in case you didn't remember from the other post, and you know the weather is crazy over here. Heavy rain, snow, clear weather we get it all. So maybe that should account into my decision to get ABS.
    Regarding the side air bags and ABS. I'm sure you'll hear opinions on both sides...but I think they're nice features to have....not only for your own safety.....but I believe it also is a plus for when you go to sell/trade in the car eventually.
    As for the price...again I'd check the TMV and other pricing guides. I think I paid about $18,400...for a re-fresh model....leather, 6disc cd, sport-auto, floor mats, moonroof w/deflector ...no alarm and regular rearview
    mirror.
    Good luck!!
    So today I did a full wash, polish, and wax for the 1st time(over at mom's house since her facilities are better. Did some errands and went home. A couple hours later, my neighbor knocks on my door to tell me that someone had been in my garage(I must have accidentally hit the garage opener when walking from my detached garage to the house). So, I went to check it out....and found that a jacket had been taken off my back seat. It pisses me off....not so much about the jacket...but that someone(a thief!) was in my new car(don't even have plates yet)...GRRRRRR. I feel violated....lol. I'm thankful my neighbor came along when he did though....or there could have been a lot more missing....not to mention that the car itself could be gone or keyed!!
    Just had to vent...
    I would definitely get the ABS/air bag option. Well worth the $800, even if the ABS only saves you from an accident once. As a new driver, I would definitely recommend the ABS.
    they wouldn't be able to install the option on that car would they? if not then i'll have to order another one and have it shipped or something. maybe drive really far away to find what i want. :( well it'll be worth it when i get the car! :)
  • pciskowskipciskowski Member Posts: 155
    I took mine off, and it took about 15 minutes. Very easy. I recommend it for an improvement in wind noise, gas mileage (although only about 1 or 2 mpg), and a BIG improvement in the way it drives.

I think it looks better with the rack on, but I couldn't stand the wind noise. The driving improvement was a nice bonus.
    As sharonf pointed out, you'll hear arguments from both sides of the aisle on this one. Personally, we bought ours w/out the ABS/side airbag package. Partly because to get it, we would've had to get the moonroof package too, thus adding $1,500.00 to MSRP in total. Also, we didn't feel we needed ABS. Though it is nice to have, most people can accomplish what ABS can do by simply using proper braking techniques. While humans cannot pump the brakes as quickly as an ABS system, we can brake in such a manner so as to maintain control of our cars and avoid accidents. Also, ABS cars tend to take longer to stop in straight lines; ABS systems are more expensive to repair than non-ABS systems; and ABS can be a real PITA on gravel roads, bumpy roads, and roads w/ loose snow.
    Well, I just filled up my wife's new P5 for the second time. The first tank was the dealer's gas, so I didn't want to base any mileage estimates on that. I went until after the light had come on and that put me at 315 miles. I filled up the tank and put in just over 12 gallons, giving me about 26.25 m.p.g. Much better than the Impreza was getting (about 21 m.p.g.), so so far we're happy. I'll admit that I was a little worried when the light came on, because by the time I actually got to the filling station I thought I'd have room for about 14 gallons, giving me only 22.5 m.p.g., but I was happily surprised to hear the pump stop at 12 gallons.
  • mustang87mustang87 Member Posts: 129
    but the pump does not stop when the tank is full. it stops before that to prevent spillage. i put in at least 1.5 gallons more after the pump stop and i know more can go in.

ABS/airbag option is a good one i believe. I wanted that option too but the car didn't have it so i still got it without it. I believe ABS is smarter than your average bear, err, i mean person. an accident happens in a flash, how many people are gonna rememmber to pump their brakes. plus if there is not enough distance all you think about is stopping the car, not pumping the brakes, so you just "floor" the brake pedal.
    If you can afford the option and can find the car, definatly? get it.

What color btw?
    it's a silver automatic
    :)
    i really want silver
    and i really want a sunroof
    and that stupid mazdausa inventory page isn't working
    i COULD settle with red
    and i haven't seen a blue one yet
    so that might look kinda cool
    the stupid dealer i went to has a red one with every option and at invoice
    but i think i'm too stubbbbborn to go back there

and i've decided to go with abs
    so i'll probably go the chicago city dealer, and ask them to order one with whaat i want or install abs and raise the price up. ordering is better for me because i don't want the 6cd changer or secuurity system so that'll lower the price quite a bit.
  • pciskowskipciskowski Member Posts: 155
    One thing I've noticed-all of the colors look good on this car. I think part of it is because they are straight colors-red, blue, white, etc. instead of the earthtones that seem to be in style now. I knew I wanted red, but I think they all look great.
    I always go to the second stop on a fill up. Plus, I don't shove the nozzle all the way in, so my fill ups are pretty legit.

I agree that many people do just slam on the brakes in emergency situations, but I think people can be trained to properly brake too. My wife, for example, grew up driving the snowy gravel roads of rural Alberta w/out ABS, so she is very capable of handling a car w/out ABS in the city. I learned to drive on gravel roads in Colorado during the summer, so my braking skills are, I believe, adequate to keep me from "needing" ABS in emergency situations.
    this car looks cool in every color
    but yellow and red a bit flashy for me
    i don't like white much
    so blue and silver is all that's left i think
    i'm too lazy to have a black car, and it gets too hot anyway
    i haven't seen a blue one, but it looks nice in pictures
    and the silver one i've seen and it looks kickass
    i can say that on this board right?
    hehehe
    We've got a black P5 and I love it. Yes, it's "hard" to keep clean, but no matter what color I've got I'm washing the car every weekend, so it's no big deal.

The blue is very nice, but our OB wagon is dark blue, and the Impreza RS I traded in to get the P5 was also blue, so I was tired of blue cars.

The yellow is sweet, and very hard to find. That means it'll cost a bit more. It also seems hard to find a base model in yellow.

Red was my second choice, but the way I drive I need to deflect attention, not attract it.

Silver and white just don't appeal to me. Personal opinion. To each his/her own.
  • protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
    Didn't see an answer so, the dealer CANNOT install ABS. It must be done at the factory.

In terms of colour, the dark blue will be almost as big a PITA as black. Any dark colour is like that, although black is THE worst! My '01 black mica LX 2.0 shows dirt like there's no tomorrow. If a drop of water gets on the paint, you'll see it after it dries.

BTW, I do live in Alberta and ABS is great IMO. I've only had one situation where it couldn't help, but no amount of braking of any type could have helped in that case.

Also, people will say, "you don't need ABS, just threshold brake." Umm...ok...how are you gonna apply *just* the right amount of foot pressure instantaneously? IMHO, in a panic situation, most people will jam on the brakes. Where ABS "fails" is when people don't steer and just stomp on the brake.
    My mistake for refering to the fog lights as driving lights. None the less, they are pointed at the road 15' in front of the car.

I had a couple opportunities this spring to try and use them in the fog and they simply didn't help as aimed from the factory.

subyaudidude, if you have found that they are aimed correctly on your P5, maybe Mazda has fixed their assembly line. When was your P5 built?
    My 2 cents,

Life is short. Don't waste your time dealing on a car you don't really want. Keep searching for the P5 you want or place an order with a dealer you like and wait for it to be shipped.

Your buying a new car for a fair bit of money. You don't want to always have regrets that you settled for the wrong one.

And my 2 cents on ABS; If your going to find yourself driving on snow or ice, get the ABS. ABS has helped me out on a few occasions here in MinneSNOWta. ;)
    that's good advice :)
    i'm gonna get what i want!
    hehehe thanks
    I have had 8 cars. They were dark blue, light blue, white, dark green, dark (ruby) red, silver, black, and now white (5 were mine, 3 were parents'). The dark colors are very hard to keep clean, and also get pretty hot inside.

The black car I had was a 2001 Protege ES2.0, and I had to get the windows tinted to keep the car cool inside. It was that hot in there in the (95-100 degree) summers we have in Maryland. I will never buy another black car again.

The easiest to keep clean is white, because it's hard for the car to show dirt. The second easiest was silver, which also helps hide small scratches.
    Regarding color choice......you've gotta decide that for yourself....and go with your gut cuz you're the one that's gonna have it for years to come(hopefully). I initially wanted silver....but then started thinking it looked too family wagonish(no offense to those that have silver!). When I saw the red....that was it...I knew that was the one for me. So if that's how you feel about the silver...go for it.
    I must say that I didn't think I would like white....but since seeing a couple....think they're quite nice....and you don't see as many of them which is nice.
    Like someone posted before....the car pretty much looks good in all colors....just each has a little different slant to them I guess. Soooo....basically ...you can't go wrong!!
  • dagpotterdagpotter Member Posts: 71
    I have a blue one and it doesn't show the dirt that bad...not nearly as bad as my maroon Caravan does.
  • SporinSporin Member Posts: 1,066
    I specifically chose NOT to get ABS or Side Airbags on my P5. Part of the reason was that I didn't want the moonroof, but part was because I generally dislike ABS.

I know this is an unpopular opinion, but you can read many, differing, informed, pro and con opinions in this discussion about ABS...
    http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=387490

My 2 posts from that discussion:
    ------------------------------------------------------------

My random thoughts on ABS...

• I've driven 4+ months a year in crappy weather for 15 years. Only 1 car ever had ABS and it never kicked in. Learning how to properly stop and steer your car, even in panic situations, isn't an option in the Northeast, it's a requirement. At least if you want to avoid accidents.

• If it came with the car, great, but I won't pay extra for it. Especially when manufacturers bundle it with other crap I don't want/need like side airbags and moonroofs (the only way to get ABS on my P5, thus no ABS).

• I think it's far more useful in larger, heavier vehicles then in light, FWD cars. The less connected to the road you are, the more likely you are to lock 'em up.

• It's ridiculously expensive to fix when it breaks. I plan on keeping this car for a lllloooonnnngggg time.

• I'll take snow tires and no ABS over all-seasons and ABS any winter day.

• Murphy's Law disctates that my lack of ABS, and my opinions against it, will someday cause me to wish I had it.

I'm not pretending to be some superhuman-Mario Andretti-like-uber-driver... but I learned how to drive in the worst of weather. I also never had the benefit of ABS until recently.

So I learn to drive in rural New England without ABS. I learn how to stop my car, quickly, and under control, in ALL sorts of situations and conditions. So why exactly do I suddenly NEED to be able to just tromp the pedal and steer around all these accidents?

I've been lucky and careful enough to never be in an accident, but I've had my share of close calls. In none of them was "steering while applying full braking" an option. Stopping as quickly as possible has been my #1 accident avoidance maneuver, and I suspect that is so for most folks.

Say I'm flying down the highway and the guy in front of me starts spinning, I am doing 1 of 2 things. 1. Stopping as quickly as possible. 2. Hoping to get around him, in which case, I'm not trying to STOP my car while doing this... heck... I might even be accelerating.

If you want it great and good for you. I'll take it if it's on the car I buy. But if I have to pay extra for it and it's bundled with even more crap I don't need or want... forget it.

Just my opinion. :-)
  • mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    Go to mazdausa.com and click on "Locate a Vehicle" on the left-hand side. You may be able to check the inventories of dealerships in your area (I don't think all dealerships are yet on this database, but all 4 in my area participate, and the database seems up-to-date with my experience...going to check them out and gawk at them...pant, pant, pant).

At least you can get an idea of what they have before you call or visit. Personally, I look for "stripper" versions: no ABS, no moonroof, no 6-CD changer, MT. Since even the non-optioned ones are basically ES trim level, they're very well-equipped. I'd probably add a cargo mat, cargo net and floor mats, but that's about it.

I do note that most have a few options (moonroof & ABS being amongst the most common, chromed wheels seem to follow shortly after).
  • meinradmeinrad Member Posts: 820
    A lot of us have removed the racks, but I haven't seen anyone say they also removed the rails. This guy did it and put this site up about it.

http://www.geocities.com/shareafile/index.html

This discussion has been closed.