Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Protege5

Comments

• sharonfsharonf Member Posts: 120
    or anyone else that can answer this question. I've gotten conflicting answers so far.
    Sooo....I'm probably going to put some lowering springs on my P5...and will therefore need an alignment after. Will I be able to bring it in to the dealer for that since I'm within the 1st year? Or is the modification going to make me ineligible for that service/warranty?
  • protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
    As I understand it, that first year warranty adjustment is for cars that have something wrong with them due to anything that happened prior to the owner taking posession. If this is the case, then No, you're ineligible.

However, I'm not 100% what their policy is, so maybe others have some more advice.
  • mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    Riopelle, you're getting the short end of the stick. Time to shop around. I'd check out Progressive. I don't carry with them (I have Allstate), but their rate came close. I think my salesperson is just taking less commission than usual (he's been in the business for decades), so his rate is usually lower than the competition (including other Allstate agents!). However, I was really impressed with the service and courtesy of the Progressive agent I had to deal with after some careless driver rammed someone else's A4 2.8 into a line of cars stopped at a red light (my car at least only got hit in the rear...one benefit of leaving enough space in front of your car). Much better than what I've gotten from anyone outside of CA AAA.

But in any case, you're getting cheated, I think. No way a P5 costs as much as a Jetta GLX or Acura RSX. Those sell to a similar audience (so demographics shouldn't affect the insurance rate much), but cost several thousand more to repair or replace.

Kad6...you'll have to deal with your inexperience costing you a lot. You can get a good student discount after about age 18, if you maintain at least a "B" average, then (assuming your record stays clean), you can expect drops at ages 25 and 30. There's a BIG drop if you get married (not a good enough reason in itself, but a nice side benefit, about 40% for the two of us combined...actually tipped a friend in favor of marrying, although she'd been on the fence before...heck, they already acted like a married couple for several years).
  • SporinSporin Member Posts: 1,066
    So has anyone fit 205/45/-16's on the stock P5? Everything fit ok?

According to http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html the sidewall height is identical (3.8") and your speedo will read 1.7%too fast (negligable).

I'd like to get a slightly wider contact patch. Plus, I think the stock size looks a bit "tucked in" and the wider size will bring the tires out viually a bit.

I'mlooking at the Pirelli P7000 SuperSport 's btw.

• rbrooks3rbrooks3 Member Posts: 174
    I paid 16,666 for my 02 ES. I put 3,000 down and my monthly payments are 277 for 5 years. I owe 14,000 and change right now so if I sold privately I could brak even. But, the problem is that still leaves me out the 3,000 I put down in January, only 6 months ago. Even with Mazda's 0% for 5 years, I'd have to put at least 2,000 or so down on another model of the Pro to be at about the same payments I am now. So, in the end, a 17,000 car cost me 23,000.

I'm not angry at Mazda, it's not their fault my knee is messed up. It's just an example of how much you lose if you sell a new car. Just a shame I'm learning this lesson first hand. SO, I'll probably have to eek it out until next year when there are more autos around.

Here in NY the demand for Pro5 cars is very high. There's only 3 listed for sale used within 100 miles according to 2 internet searches I did on Friday.
  • subyaudidudesubyaudidude Member Posts: 136
    Okay, by calculations, if you can break even on your ES, and convince a dealer to sell you a P5 for $17,500 out-the-door, your payments would be about $322 (60 months @ 3.9%). Now I realize that this is $45/month higher than what you're paying now, but you also get, IMHO, a better car. If you can swing it, I'd see if you can't get that kind of deal (or better).

If you go used, you won't be able to get a good rate on financing ... probably around 9% these days.
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    PF is right. The 12 month adjustment period is to correct factory defects. Lowering your car does not count as that. Besides an alignment should only run you about $50.

Be careful how low you go. One of the guys at the Protege meet on Saturday dropped his P5 by 2" and now his ABS is defunct.
    At the current 0% for 5 years I'd be at 317 and change at 100% financing with sales tax. But, unfortunately, I'd still be out my 3,000 I put down on my ES. I have to wait abit longer. It's hard to stomach 3,000 in less than 6 full months. I just have to hope the physical therapy works so I can keep the 5 speed and MY MONEY!
    I tried Getauto. Just to show what the demand is for Pros in NY, I ran a search for all counties and for 2002 Pros it came up with only one.
  • shriqueshrique Member Posts: 338
    A candadian mag called Worl Of Wheels recently lowered a P5 as a project and they basically said that it didn't increase the handling at all. Matter of fact it made it worse. They suggested that if you lower the car you should really change the struts/shocks to match the new lowered height. Apparently the "bounce" effect is prominant after the lowering.

They added a CAI and Cat-back exhaust and they only managed to get 6 hp and 10ft/lbs of torque out of it. The main gain was from the intake.
  • bluong1bluong1 Member Posts: 1,927
    will still lower her car just to get it a better look.

Bruno
    I hope the physical therapy goes well. I can't imagine driving a car like the ES (or the P5) in an automatic. Manual is so much more fun! I don't have any problems with people who do drive automatics ... I just wouldn't personally.
    I was just passing on the info. Living in the north I don't even want to considering changing the height. I alreayd curb the airdam on the car as it is. (chuckle) Add to that the snowdrifts in the winter, I'll leave mine factory thank you.

Which stinks because lowered just a bit and with nice rims the P5 looks KILLER.

EDIT
    Check here for an example of a nicely done P5, of course I think it might be stock height though.
    http://www.corvetteforum.net/c5/spider48/Protege/My_P5.shtml
    I think it looks nicer that way. Rack should be an option.
    Any other colors being offered for the P5 before the new platform?
  • jskhojskho Member Posts: 107
    In Canada, no P5 comes with the rack. It isn't even an option.
  • reitrofreitrof Member Posts: 122
    Nope. I am Canadian but living near Boston, MA
    Thanks....just wanted to make sure....$50 dollars is $50 ...especially when paying around $350 for springs and install. And no...I wouldn't be lowering that much...Eibach springs probably...lower 1.2" to 1.4" at the most.

Shrique...thanks for the info...but I've talked to and read of lotsa people that have lowered theirs and have said the opposite...not bouncy..a little bit stiffer ride...but better handling...hmm...who knows.
    And don't mind Bluong's comment....I believe he's simply trying to imply that I don't care about the car itself...only about how it looks..which, by the way is not true....just an added plus. For your info Bluong...I still have the stock, non-polished alloys too!
    So you did end up going huh? How was it? Nice turnout? Musta been beautiful weather down there I'm sure.
  • mustang87mustang87 Member Posts: 129
    i was building a new computer so this post is late.

"(so far...knock on wood...if I can find any real wood around here"

when i can't find any wood around i used the next useless thing around and that is usually my head :) its always with me.

meinrad, i agree that people should not take up two spaces in a crowded lot but dont see any harm if i take two spaces at pepboys for example when there are never more than 10 cars in the lot at any time. but then again, you can't blame people for wanting their car to stay nice. cars are not cheap. they are worth money. by doing whatever to your car, its just like throwing money out the window. btw, i don't mean you meinrad, i am saying in general.
    it was nice in Ventura. There was a P5 (the guy with ABS problems) from your neck of the woods even. In all there were 17? Proteges of various shapes and forms. I think there were 5 P5s: everything from a just off the showroom floor automatic to some heavily modded (well, no turbos)rockets. Jerry says there were 40 or so people and he (single handedly) played host with a great BBQ. There were 2 MP3s up there: one that I used to slaughter bugs with and another. In all, it was a good meet and I'll do it again when Jerry sets the next one up. Hopefully, somebody took some better pics than I did and will post them soon.
    you know whats inconsiderate. damaging somebody's car. i don't care by accident or intentionally that is inconsiderate. inconsiderate people are the ones that make door dings, the ones that can not allign their car straight in the parking space and runn over the line intruding into your space where your car is parked. by parking away from other cars and taking up two spots, i am not hurting anybody. yeah, why would anybody park their cars so close to another car as to risk getting a door ding themselves, meinrad?
    might be a stupid question but tell me what a "stumble" is.
    now I know I am breaking a rule here but I gotta know, Though sharonf, you don't have to answer.
    How old are you? :)
    To a lot of new people. Welcome to the site. this also applies to the "old" ones. I know for a fact that salespeople as well as service guys at the dealership ask you guys to bring the mazda surveys in to them. They say they will send them out for you and give you a free oil change or $50 worth of service. Believe me, I know it sounds like a good deal but please, PLEASE, don't do that. They give themselves good grades and send them off to mazda. And they people at mazda don't even realize what you think. Feel out the surveys yourself and send them off yourself. This will help them better understand the needs of the consumers/drivers/owners/customers and they will make better/realiable/usefull cars in the future. It might also make mazda take action against some of those so called "stealerships". Let them know you what YOU think about the car and service. Thank you.
    I'm 34....why do you ask??
  • kad6kad6 Member Posts: 10
    the survey i'm assuming is only about the dealership you bought at... but i think it should ask about other dealerships you visited in the buying process and any experiences with them.
  • meinradmeinrad Member Posts: 820
    "by parking away from other cars and taking up two spots, i am not hurting anybody"

If you would have read my post closer I said "in a crowded lot". I could car less wtf you do if the lot is empty, take up 10 spaces if your precious car needs it. But if I can't find a place to park my car because some inconsiderate sob took up 2 spaces then I'm gonna be mad. So therefore, when a lot gets crowded, I'll park right up next to the jerk so that someone else will have a good space to park in as well as send them a message.

"yeah, why would anybody park their cars so close to another car as to risk getting a door ding themselves, meinrad?"

Well if your precious car is so important to you that you will take up 2 spots and park at the end of the lot, then the chance of you hitting me with your door are slim to none. You wouldn't damage your own door just to get back at me would ya? Now I suppose you could key my car or something, but pretty much the same argument applies. If you care so much about not damaging cars you probably wouldn't have the heart to do it to someone elses. If you do, then you'd be a bigger jerk than I originally thought.
    To me it means a very rough engagement between the engine and transmission. The engine will rev after I step on the gas (after coming to a complete stop, or near-enough) and then (I think) the torque converter finally engages with the transmission, making the car jerk forwards (although the converter seems to "skip" a couple times, as the car will actually jerk a few times, the first one being the biggest). Annoying.
    "Difficult to live with"? Then again, they're partial to comfort and quiet. At least they acknowledge it handles very well (fastest speed through their accident avoidance test, out of the mini-wagon/crossover vehicles this issue). And that tall guy (who's probably at least 6'5") would make any but the Matrix/Vibe look short. I also found the tilt/telescope wheel in the Focus next to useless as it starts too far from me; I can't get the darn thing close enough for my liking. Oh well. I still like the Pro/P5.

They do have a point though. The ride is probably too stiff for the average American.
  • spacecommanderspacecommander Member Posts: 8
    In response to:

"I thought I was buying a reasonable to insure vehicle! Anyone have this same experience, or am I getting shafted? Thanks in advance."

You're welcome and yes, you're getting shafted. But you're not alone in this universe of billions of people, planets, stars and (insert your own joke here). I was shafted as well. Due to a "mistake," my auto insurance doubled from the time I purchased the P5 at the dealership to the time I got my first bill in the mail. The reason: The car is a sport wagon, not a hatchback. Translation: Ha! Ha! Ha! We're going to screw you on this one. And they did!

In response to:

"My insurance actually dropped by about $3.00/month."

I cannot relate to that.

Space Commander
    (who admires the fact that SharonF is 34 and bold enough to admit it to a board full of testosterone driven men)
    "who admires the fact that SharonF is 34 and bold enough to admit it to a board full of testosterone driven men)"
    Thank you....because yes....that testosterone certainly has been evident on here as of late!! The bickering and "my way or bust" attitude on here lately is a bit much!
    As for the parking issue etc....I avoided the topic through all the arguing because there's no reasoning it seems when someone has made up their mind. I just want to say that if EVERYONE would just learn to park their car between the two white lines that are there to guide into the spot, and have respect for others property.....the very idea of taking up two spots would never come up to anyone. Since that perfect world doesn't exist.....then everyone just has to deal with each other....just as we do in every other aspect of life.
    I must also say however...that it seems extremely silly, vindictive,..and frankly...not too bright(no offsense- just see it as asking for trouble)...to purposely park right up next to another vehicle to get back at them for something that you don't agree with. Just worsening the situation.....Just take a deep breath and let it go....it'd be much better for your health...and probably your car too!
    I personally have never been in or talked to anyone that has lowered a P5. I was just relaying the info that I found in a magazine. If they ever post the article on their website I'll put a link to it up here.
    Thanks for filling me in. Sounds like a good turnout...great! I'm sure Jerry probably took pictures huh? I'm interested in seeing whenever one of you gets some developed!
    I'm interested in seeing whenever one of you gets some developed!

What is developing? :)
    Finally had the time this weekend to put the bikes on the P5 and head out for a nice ride. I've got the Hidden Hitch brand hitch on the car and bought a Yakima Big Horn 4 bike rack.

This combo worked great except for one thing.

The hitch reciever had a little tab that stopped the bar from going too far back into it. I guess the idea is when the bar hits the tab, the holes are lined up, but this was not the case. So I had to bust out the tab so that the rack would slide back far enough to line up the holes.

Once this was done though, things went great. The rack barely moves at all and doesn't make any noise. The bikes strapped on easily and were far enough off the ground to not even worry about hitting them going into parking lots or anything.

So after a spirited trip up I79 we unloaded all our gear and headed out for a pretty nice 15 mile ride, stopping halfway for lunch and a dip in Lake Erie.
  • dsm6dsm6 Member Posts: 813
    I'm looking forward to telling my daughter, who will no doubt gaze in wide eyed wonderment, shaking her head in dis-belief, about film - about how you had to send this stuff to specially equipped film developers and wait until they sent it back before you could see your pictures.

Then I will tell her all about records.

I bet she claims I'm making it all up.

I'm looking forward to those pics as well, even if they aren't the "analog" originals. ;-)
    Sounds like a nice set up. Where can I learn more (any web site for this hitch?). TIA

A dip in Lake Erie, eh? I take it its no longer on fire. ;-)
    Lake Erie never caught on fire (I don't believe). It was the river!!!
    www.hiddenhitch.com and search for p5.

It doesn't really tell you a whole lot, other than the basics. But it does hide pretty well behind the bumper, all you see is the receiver, and that gets covered up with a nice plastic cover when not in use. On my dark blue P5, you really hardly notice it.

www.yakima.com can get you to the rack. I really like it. Not the most features, but enough for me.

The whole setup (rack, hitch, and hitch installation) came to about $300. Seemed alot to me at first, but since I'll be using is for most likely 5 years, it seemed worth the investment.

And, no, no fire on the lake, lol. In fact, I was amazed at how clear the water was. In about 4 feet of water I could still see my feet!
    I do believe you are correct, the river was on fire. Plus, that was in Cleveland. I was in wonderful Erie, Pa. Pressqueisle State Park to be exact. Pretty nice place I think.

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/parks/presqueisle.htm

Clevland's Cuyahoga River, which fed pollution (oh, and water too I guess) into the lake. That was some time ago, and things are better now. Just don't eat the fish.
  • jas9297jas9297 Member Posts: 26
    Hello all. Now that I've broken in my P5, I was wondering if anyone knew what minor modifications (intakes, etc.) can be done to increase fuel economy. I got over 31 on my first 2 tanks, mostly easy hwy driving. My latest tank was 29.8 mpg. Anyone have any ideas?

Also, to "meinrad", what model Hidden Hitch did you get, and what other parts? Thanks a lot!
    jstandefer- can you please if possible get me the contact info (email) of the guy with the 323 gtx awd turbo that came to your california meet. I got a 323 owner in my club, its not a turbo though, so he is interested in learning more about the car.

sharonf, no reason that i am asking. you mentioned that you want to lower your car and i kinda figured you can't be too old if you wanna go that way :)
    i think this board's average age is higher than on other p5 boards but its also is a good thing as the discussion here are more mature. sure we get into fights but we kiss and make up, right guys?
    Okay....so I'm a dinosaur....I don't have a digital camera....still get my film developed...and scan the ones I want to put on my comp.....
    but on the other hand....I wanna lower my P5...=)

Mustang...okay...fair answer. I feel like this....I'm 34 chronologically....and have no problem acting my age when I need to......but in the down time...I'm still somewhere in my twenties! Good thing is...I often pass for it too! =)
  • silver_bulletsilver_bullet Member Posts: 1,339
    Sharon, I'm sure you've done your research on this subject, but the main thing most of the "kids" fail to take into account when fitting shorter springs to their cars is the fact that wheel travel (the distance between full compression of the suspension and full rebound) is reduced, and the working length of the shocks is shorter too. Lowered cars tend to crash down on their bump stops on bumpy or undulating pavement, which definitely affects how the car rides and handles. Also keep in mind that suspension engineers aren't stupid, and have spent a lot of time matching spring length and frequency to the shocks fitted. Generally speaking, you shouldn't change springs without also changing the shocks - think of the shocks as "controlling" the springs, because that's really what they do. A lowered car often requires shocks with shorter pistons and more aggressive valving, otherwise one severe bump could "bottom out" the shocks, and that damage will definitely be your responsibility, not Mazda's. Enjoy your car, but be careful about making piecemeal changes to it's engineering.
    It's Hidden Hitch Part #60948, specific to the P5. It comes with a drawbar but I didn't need it since the yakima rack itself installs in the receiver. Btw it's a 1 1/4" class I hitch. I didn't get any wiring done since I don't plan to tow with it, just use the bike rack. I didn't install it, but it looks pretty easy. Just drop the muffler and bolt in on, no holes to drill. Thats pretty much it, no other parts or anything.
    well said. We just had this discussion in the sedans board but you took much more time to explain it than I did.
    sharon, i don't have a digital camera either. i get my film developed like you do and i scan it in.i got a cheap artek scanner which amazingly makes photorealistic pictures. i don't have a dvd either. hope i didn't make you or anybody else mad. :)
    and oh yeah, listen to silver_bullet
  • bjewettbjewett Member Posts: 62
    Hi all,

After much debating I finally bought a P5 (mid. blue, mid-cycle refresh 5-spd). Two questions:

1) It may be a FAQ but I seem to remember a discussion about a door rattle. For me, I hear a rattle in the right-front (passenger) door when the window isn't all the way up. Does anyone know what exactly needed fixing to eliminate it?

2) Anyone know the speaker sizes in the car? The fronts look to be 5x7, while the rears have the same grille size but seem smaller, and round. I'm gonna replace them. Anyone go with 5x7s all around?

Any comments welcome, thanks.

Brian
This discussion has been closed.