Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Protege5

Comments

• icvciicvci Member Posts: 1,031
    I don't think you'd want to purchase snow tires that are the same size as the OEMs. Snow tires are usually more narrow and a little taller. Right?
  • boggseboggse Member Posts: 1,048
    Yes, narrow, tall tires do better in snow. Considering you generally get wheels to go along with the snow tires, you should have plenty of options since you don't have to get 16x6 rims and be stuck with the odd-ball 195/50-16 size.
  • bluong1bluong1 Member Posts: 1,927
    there are few people (one of them is from Minneapolis. in this board) who downsize the rim of 1" for wider choices of winter tires.

Otherwise it's possible to buy online 195/50R16 Michelin winter tires.

Bruno
  • videoonevideoone Member Posts: 4
    My P5 will be hitting the 1K mark soon, is there such as thing as a 1K inspection? The dealer I bought it from did not schedule anything nor do I see any mention of it in the maintenance manual. Thanks.
  • cogs25cogs25 Member Posts: 39
    Am I correct in surmising what is really meant is "vary your RPM" during break-in? I would assume it wouldn't matter to any other part of the car besides the engine what speed you held for how long. If my assumption is correct, then in theory you should be able to drive a steady highway speed, but periodically shift between 4th and 5th(in a stick)to keep the rpm varied. What's the consensus on this?
    I think it's better to vary actually the speed so that the rpm changes continuously. My $.02.
  • kubus_gtkubus_gt Member Posts: 31
    Someone mentioned the Kumho tires. I would stay away from the street Kumho tires, racing OK but not street. They were OEM on Nubira's, had to replace them at about 12K. Not only they were worn out, but they caused steering vibration, excessive noise and so. Even when they were new the braking performance and handling were far from good.
    Just my $0.02's.
    Somehow I doubt that Daewoo put the high performance Kumhos that we were discussing on the Nubria. Kumho is the third largest tire manufacturer in the world. They make some tires that are crap and some that are good and everything in between. This is also true of Bridgestone, Goodyear, Michelin, etc. I wouldn't avoid the ECSTA Supra series based on the Nubria's OEM all-seasons.
  • SporinSporin Member Posts: 1,066
    I haven't read a bad word about the Kumho ECSTA Supra's and I plan to replace my aging Dunlops with them in the Spring.

The only knock is that as they wear down they get louder. Since that is true of nearly every performance-oriented tire, including the Dunlop SP5000's, that is really no biggie.

I'll be going for the popular "+0 upgrade" to the 205/50-16 btw.
  • bmclaughlin1bmclaughlin1 Member Posts: 19
    We just completed our first year of ownership of a 2002.5 P-5, Classic Red. We put 9765 miles on it. It has a moonroof, 6 disc changer, cassette, and compass/temp/self dimming mirror as the only options. It is a 5 speed. Overall we are thrilled with this car. It has performed flawlessly and usually gets between 29-36 mpg. We love the handling of this car, and it really is a lot of fun to drive. I am 50 and my wife is 43. The only complaint we have is that the stock tires appear to be wearing out already (we also have an 01 Protege ES with the same tires and they too are in need of replacement at 22,000 miles). Other than that, it is one fine car.

Bill
  • kizehkizeh Member Posts: 15
    I had placed an order on Tirerack.com on a set of Yokohama AVS100s in the 205/50 16 size to go on the stock rims. However, a rep called an hour later and strongly advised me against it, saying that they hadn't been able to make the tires fit without rubbing through the full range of suspension / steering motion, mostly due to width. He said they were aware of some of the Internet discussions, and had tried to test it locally with the aforementioned results. So, I ended up with pretty much the only OEM size option, the cheap Supra 712s. Anyone have experiences on this? I had thought going to 205/50 on stock rims was pretty common and trouble-free thing.
    They talked me out of it too on my ES, but I think they are just covering their butts. 205 on a 6" wide rim is pushing it a bit as far as tire/wheel fit, but they shouldn't rub. The MP3 uses 205 series, and the MS Protege uses 215 series tires without rubbing issues, and both of those have lowered suspensions.
    I have been using the 205/45R16 for a year now, never rub.
  • meinradmeinrad Member Posts: 820
    I've had my 205/50's on the stock rims for a few weeks now and haven't noticed any problems at all.

I'm sure it's a cover your butt issue. I had one local shop tell me they wouldn't mount anything other than OEM size. They just don't want the wonderful attorney's to come calling if something goes wrong.

If you want 205, get 205. I think there is enough experience on all the varios boards to show there isn't a problem.
  • kizehkizeh Member Posts: 15
    I had placed an order on Tirerack.com on a set of Yokohama AVS100s in the 205/50 16 size to go on the stock rims. However, a rep called an hour later and strongly advised me against it, saying that they hadn't been able to make the tires fit without rubbing through the full range of suspension / steering motion, mostly due to width. He said they were aware of some of the Internet discussions, and had tried to test it locally with the aforementioned results. So, I ended up with pretty much the only OEM size option, the cheap Supra 712s. Anyone have experiences on this? I had thought going to 205/50 on stock rims was pretty common and trouble-free thing.
  • toneetouchtoneetouch Member Posts: 60
    In the Mazda 3 forum you posted something regarding fitting your daughter's car seat in the P5. I was hoping that you could elaborate on how fitting a car seat in your P5 has proven difficult.

I'm pretty confident I've seen P5's with the car seat placed in the middle, but i could be mistaken. Or maybe different model car seats have greater success fitting in the middle? Do you think this is a safety hazard for your daughter, or just an inconvenience?

Overall, how has the P5 faired in terms of getting you, your family, and your family gear around places? I'm sorry for all the questions. My wife and I are having our first child (also a girl) this November, and I think we made the best decision in buying a car that was small urban-family friendly, yet not a bore to drive, and I guess I'm hoping that your experiences can confirm that...

...or maybe we should've gotten the mini-van ;0).

thanks.

ant
    ... why there are so many Civics on the road. I've owned my P5 for almost two weeks now and, after having been in so many Civics over the years, I can not see what advantages it holds over the P5.

The current Protege sedan is better looking and seems more solidly built than the current and previous Civic sedan, both inside and out, and the P5 is even better than the sedan. The utilty of the P5 over the Civic sedans and the little two-door Civic hatchback is clearly superior. Automagazines praise the driving pleasure of the Protege over the Civic (and other competitors), and according to Consumer Reports the Protege line has proven to be extremely reliable.

So wouldn't it make sense that sales of the P5 be comparable, if not superior, to the Civic? I don't dislike the Civic, or the Corolla (which is so bland i barely acknowledge it's existence). I sincerely just d n't get why P5's aren't as abundant on the road.
    The problem with putting the seat in the middle is my seat (the drivers seat) can't be all the way back the way I like it. (I'm 6'.) So, it could go in the middle.

The P5 is my daily commuter. We bought a CR-V in December for the family. We have 2 dalmatians that we generally drop off at the kennel when we travel and they won't fit in the P5 with the kid, the wife and the luggage. It really was quite a bad situation for a guy that HATES SUVs. It makes me smile when people say the CR-V is nothing more than a tall wagon, that's EXACTLY what I wanted.

Anyway, I drive my little girl to day care every morning on the way to work and we have a great time. (She's 5 months old.) If we had to use it, the P5 would make a good family vehicle. It does in Europe and Asia. Of course it won't be as peppy loaded to the gills but, who cares?

There are so many things for the baby though. You'll learn how to pack like a dad! You've been practicing your entire life...right?
    Thanks, and congrats on your new baby.

After realizing that so many people buy a mini-van, suv, or large wagon when starting a family, I started having second thoughts about trading my Pathfinder in for a smaller car. Still, I finally admitted to myself that I wasn't the type of person to ever go off-road, and I couldn't justify the ridiculous amounts of money I was spending on gas with a baby on the way. So I stuck with my initial decision to get a more fuel efficient car.

People were telling me to keep the SUV for lugging around the baby's things, but I just couldn't imagine a stroller, diaper bag, playpen, and a couple of bags of luggage NOT fitting in the P5's hatch area. And my wife really wanted a smaller car that she could drive and park more easily. So we decided anything bigger would be unnecessarily excessive, and the P5 was the best small wagon available.

So, unless I grow three inches (I'm 5'9" and 26 y.o.), my wife miraculously loses her allergy to pets and decides she wants a dog, or we find out that the ultrasound was wrong and we're actually having triplets, I believe our baby will be sitting in the middle of the bench where I can keep an eye on her, and all our things will comfortably fit in the back of our P5 (after I learn to pack like a Dad).
    Just chiming in with my thoughts.....

We bought the P5 a month after our first child was born. It has proved to be a great baby mobile.

When the car seat was rear facing in the middle of the back seat I was a little short on front legroom. My infant seat (a Fisher Price Stay-in-View) actually fit in between the front seats so that I could move back a little bit. So it was a little tight for a while, but nothing that we couldn't live with.

Once he hit a year, and we turned the seat to forward facing, we haven't had any problems. I put the toddler seat in the outboard passenger side and it fits in perfectly.

We haven't had any trouble hauling gear either. I put my Radio Flyer All Terrain wagon in the hatch along with the assorted stuff for a day at the park.

We were in need of a "family" car and the P5 has proved to be that and much more.

Good luck with the new baby Antonio.
  • SporinSporin Member Posts: 1,066
    I've run both a GRACO infant seat and now a very big GRACO child seat (rear facing) in my P5 with no problems. In both cases, the child seats have used the extra space between the front seat backs for length.

Up until I recently lost 68 pounds (and counting!) I had my seat back almost all the way... never an issue. I guess a lot of it depends on the shape of your child seat. It varies widely by brand.

We've found or P5 to be an excellent family vehicle. We added a small XPORT roof-top box for added storage, but otherwise, it's been perfect.

Just hitting 40k on mine ('02, 5spd, base) and it's been near perfect. Other then scheduled maintenance, I've had to put on new rear brake rotors and pads due to a sticking caliper. This is a common problem up here in the great white north. I know now to keep the caliper lubed.

Parts are expensive through the dealership and ogften backordered. i found calipers at a very good local Foreign Auto Parts place that cross-referenced them, but pads were tough. You need the clips as well and the only way to get them is to order the pads from Mazda. I had them overnighted from http://www.mazdaformance.com/protege.htm in Houston. Very helpful and good prices.

The dealership in Concord, NH (nearest to me) wanted nearly $400 to fix my brakes. Yikes! I did it for less then $200, but it was a bit tricky to get it all back together. I need a thrid hand and smaller fingers. :)

I run 195/55-15 Michelin Arctic Alpins on 15" steel wheels from about Christmas, through late March-early April. Still, I'll need to be replacing the stock Dunlop summer rubber next year. As the tires have worn, wet grip is down and noise levels are way up.

I intend to go to the 205/50-16 or 205/45-16 Kumho's when I change off my snows next spring.

Great car, couldn't be happier. It will be in the family a long, long time.
  • baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    "There are so many things for the baby though. You'll learn how to pack like a dad! You've been practicing your entire life...right?"

That's funny!

Ever since we bought the Escape I've become accustomed to folding the rear seats down and just throwing everything in without a care in the world. It was just the two of us so why not? Back when we had the ZX2 and Civic (both coupes mind you) we frequented IKEA and had to get very creative on their loading docks. I'm proud to say that we never had to have anything delivered!

My how things change.

I guess I had better start practicing again. Is there a class I can take somewhere? :)
    We have a Graco seat, couldn't tell you which one specifically. It is much too large for the middle. In the CR-V the middle is the only place it will fit. Fortunately the front seats are far enough apart they can move forward and backward with it there. If I put it on the passenger side, the seat had to be placed in a (too awkward for me) very upright position.

I figure with the 60/40 split seat, you'll have plenty of room. I'll tell you though, there is so much more to haul around than I ever expected. BTW, if you're looking for a nice diaper bag, Eagle Creek makes a back pack that's nice. It's not too girly so I don't look any sillier carrying it than I do without it.

Tonee you said you'd be okay as long as the ultrasound didn't show triplets, are you having twins?
    Thanks for the info and the kind words, everyone. This forum, actually the people on these forums, really are a great resource.

And, as far as I know, there is only one baby on the way (knock on wood).

Ant
  • riopelleriopelle Member Posts: 132
    I got my P5 two years ago 2-day. Practically flawless except for some moonroofs rattles (fixed) and a flat. No other unscheduled maintenance necessary. I cannot stress how amazing that is, after driving VW's for 10 years I thought cars went into shops monthy.

I also hit 22,000 miles today - Wild! The tires supposedly have 10K left on them, and I have definitely rung some G's out of them.

My only issue with the car are the engine, it still seems rough even though it usually shows some punch, and the weak stereo. My next car will fix those issues.
    I also hit this mark last month. Not much complain beside the Dunlop tires that wear out quickly. Mom still refers it as the "new yellow car" every time I have opportunity to drive her somewhere, and she is right, this car doesn't show its age at all.
  • mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    She just regaled me last night with a story about someone in another Camaro that got annoyed that she was able to keep up wth his car through twisties in her little P5. As soon as he got into a long straight, he smashed his accelerator and took off. She wasn't even tailing him that closely, but he never gained any distance on her. Heh. She thought it amusing how he took off like that.

Of course, picking on Camaros in twisties is easy. They corner horribly; they're pretty much straight-line cars. What a bore. |0....
  • patm317patm317 Member Posts: 2
    I'm aware of the eminent demise of the p5 and was wondering if the price is likely to get better the closer you get to the rollout of the mazda3. The reason I ask is that my brother in law has looked at the p5 and was impressed with the vehicle to the point that it will be his next car - a year from now. He wasn't aware that it's being replaced by the 3. So how bout it? should he wait till the 3 is at the showrooms or deal now. If it's of any worth, he lives in the Alberquerque NM area .Any favorite dealers in that neck of the woods?
    then he should start right away to search the car with the equipments/color that is suitable for him.
    The P5 will likely be limited to what's in inventory in the remaining time.
    I noticed a knick on the hood that actually exposes a very small glint of metal, probably caused by gravel on the highway. Does anyone know if the touch-up paint that Mazda sells is meant to fix small blemishes like this? Can I fix it myself, or would I end up ruining the smoothness of the surrounding paint.

Sometimes I feel like I'm being a little too anal, since it really is a very small knick.
    I found it's hard to apply smoothly the touch paint on small paint chips. In addition, after few months, the yellow touch-paint changes the color and no longer match the original paint. This is due to UV aging.
    I think I got this tip from Jim.
  • acuintegraacuintegra Member Posts: 12
    I took the plunge on a P5 approx a month ago and so far so good. midnight blue, full opts cept for the polished and mirror. No complaints so far but I do have a question. The door ajar light, I notice that when the hatch is still open, it does not light up on the dash console. Is that correct or do I have a defect? I had an incident where I did not close the hatch all the way and only upon hearing a rattle when I was driving did I realize that it was the hatch not being closed all the way. I figure this would be something the car would detect?
  • cbmortoncbmorton Member Posts: 252
    The hatch being open doesn't trigger the 'door ajar' warning light, although that might have been a useful addition. When I first got my P5 I also had a couple of incidents where I thought I had closed the hatch all the way but hadn't and didn't realise it until I started driving and heard it rattling. Now I'm in the habit of giving it a tug after closing it to make sure it's fully latched.
    more people is buying P5 than the Protege sedan. May I suggest "Mazotege5" as new username?
  • mnkyboymnkyboy Member Posts: 108
    I also have a rattle/noise when i have my moon roof "door" open all the way. There is a rattle noise when the moonroof is closed, but when the "door" is open all the way. Is this what you had? If so, what did you do to fix the problem? Any suggestions? Thanks.
  • spencer19spencer19 Member Posts: 17
    Hi, I just started a post with some questions that have come up as I've been carshopping. My post was confirmed, but I can't find it when I search the boards. Do new topics take awhile to appear?

Thanks.... Terri
    You topic is here:

/direct/view/.ef17bf2/0
  • revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    For additional feedback, feel free to copy/paste your message into this discussion. Other Protege5 owners/shoppers may be more likely to see your message in an ongoing discussion that's also linked to the Mazda Protege Owner's Club.

Also, for future reference, you will find direct links to your last 5 messages on your user profile page. In the left hand column of any of the Town Hall pages, click on the link that says "My Profile."

Good luck, and please keep us posted on your purchase.

To boggse - Thanks for your help. ;-)

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards
  • subyaudidudesubyaudidude Member Posts: 136
    In our "little" P5 we have two rear-facing toddler seats - a Britax Roundabout (non-LATCH) and a Britax Marathon (LATCH). Each is placed on an outboard seating position with the Marathon behind the passenger and the Roundabout behind the driver. They both fit well, though front seat room is now a bit tight.
    A colleague of mine stated that it is imperative that I change the oil on my/any new car after 1,000 miles. I don't remember his exact explanation, but he may have said that a new engine uses up a lot of oil when it's breaking in. Does anyone here agree with this? I might do it, just cuz I'm assuming it wouldn't hurt. If I do, should I stick with the same type of oil?
    Ant
    some people afraid there is more metallic debris in the oil with the brand new engine. Personally I trust the manual, if it doesn't say any particular precaution to be taken, then it should be fine in following it.

Bruno
  • ashutoshsmashutoshsm Member Posts: 1,007
    ... and was amazed at the near absence of any metallic or other visible debris in the oil or the filter. They really seem to have those tolerances and gaps and seals figured out pretty well now!

I don't regret switching the oil - I moved to synth and it idles noticeably smoother and quieter - but the benefit from a flush-that-initial-debris-out standpoint was nonexistent to the point of being ridiculous. I'm talking about the new M6 4-cylinder here, though - so YMMV!
    Honda states not to change the oil in their cars until they hit 5,000 miles. Haven't ever heard exactly why though. Only speculation from others.

With my P5 I waited until 3,800, then went to Mobil1 5W30.

Do yourself a favor and take it somewhere to get it changed the first time. I just learned the hard way. Man did I learn.
    One of the speculation I have heard is car makers put a special compound inside the oil in order to treat the engine during the break-in. May be a teflon based chemistry compound? (<- this is a speculation on a speculation!)
    I switched to synthetic right away given my positive experience with it in my '89 323 (mostly much smoother and faster starting in sub-freezing weather). We waited until 5000 on my wife's P5. She drives longer distances per trip than I do, so her oil doesn't get dirty as quickly as mine.

I had a hard time getting the oil filter off my Protege the first time, but I couldn't even budge the one in the P5. They tighten them on pretty hard at the plant, it seems. Eek. Let the dealership service department remove it the first time. I ended up refilling her oil with regular without replacing the filter. Next oil change (which I'll do from now on) it'll get converted to synthetic too.
  • meyerlevinmeyerlevin Member Posts: 15
    What is recommended to replace the original tires on my 2002 Protege 5? My original tires are Dunlops and are 195/50/16 v rated.
    I see that this size is very difficult to replace.
    Based on others recommendations, I plan on going with the Toyo Proxes TPT:

http://www.toyo.com/
    I bought Falken Ziex 512's in the 205/50-16 size. They looked a little large at first, but now I can't even remember how it used to look. Ride is a little softer and handling has barely suffered.

So for day to day driving I'm very happy I went with that size. Performance in the rain (which has been almost every day), has been very good.

Price was good too. Bought online at tires.com and paid $80 each with free shipping and no sales tax. Costco charged me $11 to mount and balance the new tires and discard the old tires.

Another member whose wife drives a P5 followed my lead and bought the same tires, also from tires.com.
This discussion has been closed.