Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Protege5

Comments

• grubbs1grubbs1 Member Posts: 69
    Jasking is asking for it, guys, but don't go for it. But just for the record, try opening the hatch and looking before comenting as to what can fit inside. Also, please quote "the report" on the 0-60 time. Try reading Car and Driver or more knowledgeable type periodicals that know what they are doing. Everybody has a right to an opinion but at least get the facts straight. I do agree with your opinion of the creepy kid in the suit, though. What do you drive?
  • jaskingjasking Member Posts: 10
    Mostly, these days, a '94 Ranger with 149,000 hard km on the odo, a tailgate that won't open and an auto tranny that's about to shift its last. Tell ya the truth, grubbs1, I love the P5 and would seriously consider getting one. Just thought some perspective was in order. Actually, I acquired a 2001 Suzuki Esteem wagon just before the P5 came out, because I wanted a small, inexpensive wagon (anything but a Focus) and there were darn few available. If I had known about the P5 I would have waited and at least checked it out. My impression is that the Mazda is more stylish, more refined and maybe a better handler. The Zuke is much less expensive, although that would probably even out in resale value down the road. The Esteem has a lot more cargo space, unless the P5 has a hidden basement. (Suzuki stretched the sedan instead of cropping it.) In stock form, the lighter Suzuki is probably a bit quicker. It's actually quite a fun ride, and I like the styling: kind of sleek, but understated. Before the P5 came along, I thought it was the best looking of all econocars and the prettiest wagon this side of an Audi. I've only put about 5,000 miles on it so far, so of course it's been perfect: no assembly faults, no need for dealer adjustments. Based on 150,000 km of previous Suzuki experience without a single repair, I imagine it will hold up OK. But that Mazda is one sweet-looking automobile ...
  • ashutoshsmashutoshsm Member Posts: 1,007
    Long as we're on the subject of looks ...

The one I drove was black, with the black interior. It was dusty outside, but looked real sharp! I saw a lot of heads turn in my short (7-8 mile) romp along a busy road at rush hour, and the 2-3 miles on the freeway!

I do agree somewhat on the space issue, though. Didn't look like there was too much of it back there! Considering its all more vertical space, I would imagine its less usable than a sedan boot/trunk but would be pretty good with the back seat folded, I guess!
  • tocantocan Member Posts: 118
    Just one further note about the space in the hatch, which has been mentioned before. Because there are no hinges to worry about, the space is more usable than in the sedan. Also, I don't understand why people think that more vertical space isn't more useful, and I'm not talking about packing things up to the roof (which Mazda doesn't count, by the way). For example, you can put suitcases upright instead of on their sides, and get way more of them in.

Nomi
  • lszabolszabo Member Posts: 8
    Well, there were couple of things that changed my mind from buying a Pro5 and one of them was the lack of cargo area. I agree with jasking, Mazda made a mistake on shortening the back of the car.

The other reason that I changed my mind was the engine, most of the 2.0L engines make 140hp (Sentra, Elantra etc.), a car with the looks that the Pro5 has, you would expect that would have a little bit more than 130hp under the hood! I understand that the Pro 5 is not considered a sports car, but Mazda should try to stay ahead of the competition, or at least with them.

Other things that bothered me: the door locks, which are integrated on top of the door, it gets in your way every time you put your elbow on the door, lack of pocket on the back of the front passenger seat, comes real handy to store a map or two (even my 95 323 has one), the rear seat does not fold down flat, which could be a big problem if you want to transport something that needs a flat support, lack of compartments, storage areas (on the dashboard etc.).

Other than the exterior, which IMHO is the best exterior in its class, the Pro5 is not much different than its competitors. Sentra has a much better defined and laid out interior and engine and the new Elantra GT, even though its a Hyundai, offers a lot more for less money.

The Pro5 is a nice looking car, and with the reliability of the Mazda engine, you can't go wrong with this one, is just that I was expecting a little bit more from a car that was made for 2002 and looks this good!
  • cheerios1cheerios1 Member Posts: 1
    Went to the Mazda dealersip to buy their Tribute SUV but they were all sold out, so test drove the Protege5 and found it to be a peppy Sporty Utilitarian Vehicle. Drove out for 300 over invoice.
  • bu4uokbu4uok Member Posts: 4
    Unfortunately, I missed the car show when it came to my town but I was very eager to see what new changes were done to the Mazda Protege. Boy was I blown away when I went to the showroom. The all-new Protege5 is an absolute beauty. I looked it over from top to bottom and it will simply make your head (as well as passersby) turn with delight. I've owned Proteges in the pass and this new flavor is the best yet. It seems to have all the goodies that Protege lovers have come to expect and enjoy. I've never owned a station wagon but I did once own a Mazda GLC. It was a two door hatchback and I really did love that car. This current Protege takes the hatchback to a new level. I don't have my own Protege5 now but that won't remain the case for very long.
  • krotinekrotine Member Posts: 93
    Ok, Protege5 owners, there may be a simple to this question: What is the purpose for the white clips with black rubber flaps running along the bottom edge of the door?

Jason
  • bluong1bluong1 Member Posts: 1,927
    Jason,
    I asked myself the same question. My guess is air escape thru the hole when you close the door. The rubber prevent water to get in, and also help to produce a nice sound.
    Bruno
  • kostamojen2kostamojen2 Member Posts: 284
    I started reading this topic, got to post 400 or so, then gave up :P

Anyone take one to an Auto-cross course yet?

P.S. Im personally deciding between this car and an Impreza RS (the sedan) cause I dont like the Impreza TS interior or suspension... Im big on the P5's looks but the weak engine and FWD (which im tired of) pull me back to the Impreza.
    BTW, I got to park a WRX wagon and P5 side by side, and the cargo room is virtually identicle exept the Impreza has strut towers in the back blocking some room yet has a taller roof.
    There are 3 ways of putting the seat backs down, 2 of which give a flat surface.

1. Just put the backs forward. This is the easiest, but is not flat.

2. Remove the rear headrests. Pull up on the seat bottom. It pulls forward and creates a sort of a bolster. Then put the backs forward. This is flat.

3. The rear seat bottom can also be removed completely. This might or might not require removing the rear headrests depending on where the front seats are set, but also gives a flat surface slightly longer than in 2. because the bolster isn't in the way.

Nomi
  • dreantedreante Member Posts: 7
    Just wondering, does anyone know whether the seats can be upgraded to leather? Can the dealer do it? Will it affect the warranty at all? If leather is possible, are there any colors you would recommend for a silver exterior (excluding black, which I don't like)? Price?

BTW, I'm an owner, not a potential buyer of a Pro5. Thanks.
  • rsparrowrsparrow Member Posts: 60
    I saw a silver Protege ES at a dealer that had a custom black leather interior... with leather accents on the doors as well. It actually looked quite nice, and I can't imagine a silver car without a black interior myself.... I doubt the dealer will do it though; I'm pretty sure it's not an option. They'll just ship it off to some local outfit that can do those things...
  • phoenixmp5phoenixmp5 Member Posts: 60
    I'm almost hesitant in asking this question but, is there a trick to removing the luggage rack outside of removing the screws on the top side of the cross bar and prying off the plastic caps?

The reason why I ask is, I tried to follow the above steps and the caps seemed overly tight and I didn't want to force them... just in case they would break.
    The attached is a review of the MP3 from the Globe and Mail of Thursday, June 28.

http://www.globeandmail.com/globemegawheels/20010628/mp3.html

Note the second sentence of the second last paragraph. For those of you looking for a bit more than the current P5, it might happen soon. Also, for those of us that have already bought, we are part of the "unexpectedly high sales generated by the P5 in Canada and the U.S. since its late May debut".

Nomi

Well, I have just completed 1000 kilometres (i.e. the breakin period) on my new P5, and am very happy. I had it out on the highway both last Saturday and today, and I loved the handling. The car just drove very smoothly, and accelerated very nicely. I'm very happy with the car. And now that I am past the breakin period, I am looking forward to trying out the cruise control. (Of course I have to find a stretch of highway that is amenable to cruise; something not too easy to find in the summer around Toronto. Oh well.)

Nomi
  • exl5exl5 Member Posts: 8
    I am shopping around for Protégé5 here in Vancouver, BC, and I really have a tough time
    with local dealers. I do not mind negotiating and bargaining, but things are not going smoothly at all. It looks that demand is high and dealers are arrogant.
    First off all, no one of them accepted X-plan pricing. I asked them in few dealerships and I got few stupid answers.
    Has anyone in Vancouver area gotten X-plan pricing? If yes, please say where.
    You mentioned that you had paid 4% over net invoice + $300 for pdi + $25 doc fee and that was around 850 less than sticker price. I am little bit confused here, what is the net invoice price that includes freight, can you be more specific?
    For example, I am looking for an automatic with sunroof and A/C.
    MSRP for this vehicle is $22,600 + $820 F/PDI = $23,420
    According to your information (THANKS!), invoice for this car is $20,977. Obviously the last number is not what you referred to as a "net invoice".
    Anyways, the best offer that I got so far was around $22,800 F/PDI included. That is $620 less than sticker price. It is not so bad, it matches approximately Edmunds TMV price (about 2.5% discount), but your deal was better, obviously.
    Ironically, I got this from a broker and prices at dealers should be better, but all discounts that I got from dealers were some miserable $200 - 400. I expected to get couple hundred dollars more discount from dealers, not less. Who is crazy here?
    BTW does dealer's holdback apply for Canada, too? If yes, that means that dealer's cost for this car is actually 450 less than 20,977, it goes down to $20,525!!!
    I would appreciate if you could clarify some of these things for me. Thanks.
    I'd love to clarify if I could, but I have given out all of the numbers that I had. I believe that net invoice includes whatever compulsory charges there are to the dealer. This would include freight (but not PDI since the dealer does the PDI) and might include an advertising charge. This is why net invoice is not just invoice price for the vehicle. But your invoice numbers don't look right. There shouldn't be that much difference between the invoice and MSRP. There is also an invoice price for freight and PDI shown on the APA listing of $731, although as I mentioned before PDI is not actually on the invoice.

I don't know whether there is holdback here. All I know is that Mazda Canada verified the price I paid (as they do for all X-plan deals) and confirmed it was correct. No one will actually show you an invoice here in Canada, so you can't see it for yourself.

If the dealers feel that they can get full sticker price or close to it, they can choose not to accept X-plan. I got in quite early, and I don't think they realized the popularity of the car, so they were willing to accept X-plan. Now, according to the Globe and Mail's Wheels section sales of the P5 have been "unexpectedly high", so they don't feel they have to deal.

Sorry I can't provide more help.

Nomi
  • iamziamz Member Posts: 542
    Out of curiosity, what is the appeal of leather upholstery in an automobile. Normally the leather used in cars is of the lowest grade and so treated with dies and chemical sealents to protect it, that it is essentially the same as vinyl.

In addition, with a sports car, I believe cloth is the best material. When driving a sports car as it is meant to be driven, a cloth fabric will grip your clothing better during hard cornering. Leather will tend to be slippery.
  • phoenixmp5phoenixmp5 Member Posts: 60
    Well said iamb,

When my wife and I aught our 4Runner, we got the Limited,so we could get the leather. After two years of sticking to hot seats, I doubt we'll ever get them again.
  • melonhead1melonhead1 Member Posts: 7
    Howdy all,
    I have a hard luck story i thought I'd share with everybody. Last week my salesman called and told me my blue p5 had arrived (weeks ahead of the estimate) and I could pick it up anytime. The next day I ready my old beater of a trade in ('90 323) and load up my girlfriend to make the 1.5 hour trek over to the dealer. I arrive and the sales guy say 'well, good news and bad news. good is that the car is here, exactly as ordered, all cleaned up and beautiful. bad is that we can't get it to start.' I am shocked and express disbelief. He takes us out to the service bay and there it is, beautiful blue, w/the hood up and 5 mechanics crowded around. He tells me they don't have the service manual yet and that they can't understand the diagnostic computers readouts. I express my disbelief more vehemently. He claims there is nothing they can do until they talk to some guy somewhere who won't be back at work until tomorrow. I ask him to try and start it and sure enough there is no spark. We wait around for two hours and eventually go home. I have never really been that disappointed before. I found it hard to speak on the way home.
    He calls the next morning and says they've replaced the central computer with one out of a 2.0litre protege es and will deliver the car to me. Though he wants me to drive it back over next week to have the computer replaced again with a actual P5 unit. I had ordered it with the roof rack (which isn't standard up here) and it shows up with this massive and brutally ugly oem mazda rack. I quickly strip it off and send it back, expressing outrage once again. So now anyway the car seems to run well, we've put 1000km on it over the weekend. What does everyone think of this story? Does it seem like anything odd is going on? And now i want to find a proper P5 rack, so does anyone out there in the US want to sell one? And if not does anyone know the dealer invoice for the rack in canada? Thanks
  • exl5exl5 Member Posts: 8
    Hi, again!
    What part is wrong with my invoice prices?

These are the invoice prices that you have posted couple weeks ago:
    Base Manual $18,477
    Base Automatic $19,406
    Options:
    Sunroof $557
    Air conditioning $929
    Metallic Paint (all colours but red) $85

I am looking for an automatic $19,406
    Sunroof $557
    Air conditioning $929
    Metallic paint $85
    -------------------------
    Total invoice $20,977

What numbers don't look right?
    So net invoice is
    Net Invoice = $20,977 + X
    Where X is freight and other dealer's compulsory charges as you suggested advertising, etc.
    But the question is, how much is X?
    Thanks
  • lolmanlolman Member Posts: 10
    I went to a dealer on friday and I decided on a Silver P5 with Auto, ABS, Moonroof the price is 18315 minus the 400 dollar college grad rebate. The dealer told me that the car will arrive the third week of august, the two things that strike me as a little off is that the dealer can't give me the VIN number of the car or guarantee the special financing (which is a big part of my decision to go with Mazda). Anyways, tell me what you think of those two things and if the price seems fair or not.
  • curemecureme Member Posts: 18
    The dealer called me on Friday and said my Yellow P5 had arrived a month early. I trekked out to Cathedral City, CA (about 120 miles) and picked it up. The car is fully loaded and absolutely awesome. I love the color. The dealer (Imports of the Desert) sold it for $500 under MSRP which isn't bad given that my local dealer had a yellow one and wanted $5000 over MSRP. He said there are only going to be 500 yellow ones in the U.S. so they will be going for premiums. Is there any truth to this?
  • kosikosi Member Posts: 9
    I live in Houston, TX and my local dealer wanted $2,000 over sticker price for the yellow Protege5. Sounds like a little too much for me.
    Tuan Tran (your name sounds very vietnamese),

I live in Houston too. I got my yellow P5 (I love this color, no wonder why most of the Mazda webpages have the yellow in their photo gallery) 2 weeks ago with following (unofficial Mazda) options:
    1) Aftermarket alloy rims,
    2) extra body wax coating,
    3) wind deflector (with moonroof)
    4) tinded glasses,
    for $800 above the sticker price. Option 1) and 2) are for personal look, and options 3) and 4) are useful (minimize wind noise and texan heat). Several dealers proposed me the yellow one for $1200 above the sticker price, and that was before any price negotiation.

Bruno
  • mckaguemckague Member Posts: 24
    I drove past a local dealer who had a (blue) p5 on the lot. I asked if I could take it for a test drive. A sales person explained that it couldn't go out because it wouldn't start due to a faulty alarm system. The fix, according to this sales person, was to replace the chip from the computer control module. The new chip hadn't come in yet, so the car wasn't up and running yet. Perhaps you have the same or a similar problem. I understand your frustration. If you could keep us updated on the progress of the fix, i.e. whether or not the problem goes away with the installation of a new p5 chip, that might be helpful to others with the same problem. How do you like the car, otherwise?
  • newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    tell the dealer to take a hike. They can't guarantee the financing? Why? They should have your credit report almost instantly.
  • jstandeferjstandefer Member Posts: 805
    I am sorry to hear about your troubles. Unfortunately, this is something that is all too common with new vehicles. That dealership should NOT have called you until that vehicle had been through its full Pre-Delivery Inspection (PDI). That is extremely bad business on their part. You can't calla customer and tell them their car is ready just because you see it pull up on the transport. In general, about 20% of those vehicles on the transport are missing parts (antennas, hubcaps, center caps, floor mats, etc.) or have some type of damage (generally very minor scratches that require a good buffing) or have some type of mechanical problem (usually a Check Engine light or factory alarm problems). I know. I was the lot/inventory manager for a major Mazda/Dodge/Pontiac dealership. It happens across all makes and models. It is just part of a brand new vehicle and the many months it takes from being built to actually arriving at the dealership.

It sounds like mckague could be right. Alarm systems, in general, give the owners more grief than thieves. I have had one alarm in my life and I absolutely refuse to have one again! Factory alarms are better than aftermarket alarms, in general, but they still have their pains. Particularly these new ones that are wired into the car's ignition and fuel systems. If the alarm goes haywire, it cuts off any reasonable method to start your car. I'm sorry, but I would rather have my car stolen than it not start for me and then always worry that it won't start!

I would write the dealership's General Manager and Owner. You should be able to get their names from the receptionist. Tell them about your long drive to the dealership and how you should have not been called in to pick up the vehicle before it was actually ready to go. If the dealership is worth anything, you should be able to get something out of it. As for the roof rack... did you get one that wasn't made for the P5? Did it come installed? Otherwise, good luck with your new P5 and zoom zoom!
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    "I was the lot/inventory manager for a major Mazda/Dodge/Pontiac dealership."

What was the name of that dealer?

:)
  • sunbyrnesunbyrne Member Posts: 210
    Bruno, if you don't mind my asking, which Mazda dealer in Houston did you buy from? I live in Houston and I'm thinking of getting a P5 myself.
    Tran,

the dealer where I bought my P5 is Jeff Hass Mazda, 11222 Old Katy Road (Hwy I10 at Kirtwood, just outside Bellway 8 on the North side), tel: 713-932-6004.

Bruno
  • melonhead1melonhead1 Member Posts: 7
    i still haven't heard exactly what was wrong with my p5, but i didn't have a factory alarm installed so i don't know if it could have been that. there is some kind of standard theft deterrent thing on the canadian model but i don't know if that could impair the ignition spark, plus the dealer said the computer readout was nonsensical garbage. anyway.
    the car handles beautifully, nice and tight, good balance, front wheels tend to slide a little in hard cornering but that is a trait of the species. the overall driving feel is very similar to that of a volkswagen corrado, a car i drove for 4 years. unforunately the p5 doesn't have the surging power of the vw, but what power it has is nicely usable. if the revs are kept high, and the road is tight and twisty, this car could hang with all the teenies in their 5 year old camaro/stangers.
    jstandefer, the rack that was installed on the car at delivery was a mazda unit. it was, as i said, massive. the crossbars sat about 8 inches off the roof. it was simply bolted on in the factory roof mounts. i unbolted it and sent it back with the delivery dummy.
    what kind of compensation would this sort of situation deserve, do you think?
    again, anyone know the dealer invoice on a p5 rack?
    The dealer said they can't guarantee the 1.9% financing for 36 months because for that program you have to take delivery by july 9...it says that on Mazda's website too. The dealer said I can only have whatever special financing is available when I take delivery. Has anyone else heard similar things from dealers?
    The dealership that I bought my car from tried to pull the same thing on me. I told them that I would just drive the 4 hours to the dealership that had the car I wanted and take delivery there. They got that car for me the next day. ;)
    Low financing (and incentives in general) are designed to move cars that are already produced, and preferably sitting on dealership lots. They are not really designed for you to order what you want. That is why they put limits on, and the limits are by delivery dates.

Nomi
    Melonhead1,
    It's cool to hear that you to were a Corrado owner. Read my posting #723 if your bored.

-Terry ;)
    Cureme,
    Yes it is true about the yellow P5 being sold in limited numbers (500). My dealer here in Mpls gave me the same info as you.

I got mine for under MSRP but not by much.
    I'll be keeping an eye out for your yellow P5, look for my silver ES 2.0L with tinted windows and WI plates in Eden Prairie.
  • uttutt Member Posts: 16
    Hello P5 owners, I test drove a manual today and the front end made a lot of bumping/rattling type noises over "bad" roads (according to the salesman). Kinda like what you would expect if you drove on an old brick or cobble-stone paved road, except I only took the P5 on typical freeway & city roads, & not those being repaved or w/work in progress. Is this the necessary consequence of a stiff suspension and narrow profile 16" wheels? I live a mile from the dealership so these are roads I travel all the time & never noticed such noises in other cars. I do like the drive, especially cornering. Any thoughts?
  • kosikosi Member Posts: 9
    Yes I am Vietnamese. I bought my Protege5 from Jay Marks Mazda off Highway 59 and Bissonet. Maybe we can start a Protege5 owners' club here in Houston. I used to own a 2000 Civic Si and there were plenty of meets, club functions, etc.
  • autio55autio55 Member Posts: 4
    My P5 with manual had what I would consider a very stiff ride for the first 500 miles or so, but was not rattling. It's worn in nicely now, a tight but compliant ride. Most recently when I had a full load (3 adults, 2 kids and some luggage), the ride was definitely on the bumpy side on a pretty nasty stretch of Interstate. Very much out character from what I normally experience with just me in the car. The suspension probably was reaching its limits. A little disconcerting, but I can deal with it since 90% of the time, its just me and my better half.
  • mudflatmudflat Member Posts: 47
    I bought a Pro5 two weeks ago. Before purchasing, I made sure to take it for an extended drive over different types of surfaces, including some fairly bad ones. I have found the car to be firm riding, as expected, but quiet. The only noises I hear on bad surfaces is tire noise.
  • zeuskizeuski Member Posts: 1
    Hello All,

I just picked up my brand new silver P5 automatic with a factory installed moonroof and abs brakes from Livonia Autoplex in Livonia, MI. The car rides smoothly and has a very solid feel to it. A great car and an exceptional value especially because I used S-Plan to purchase the vehicle.

Just to let everyone know, Livonia Autoplex and Metro Mazda in Ferndale, MI have P5s on the lot ready to go in most colors! At Livonia Autoplex, ask for Tonia Reed (734-425-5400) and at Metro Mazda ask for Ian Lowell (248-548-0444) and tell them that I, John Staniszewski Jr., referred you to them. These salespeople are extremely nice.

I have two questions regarding the P5. 1) How do you take the luggage rack off? 2) How do you install the wind deflector that goes infront of the sunroof? I look forward to all responses. Happy P5 shopping and have a wonderful fourth of July.

thanks,
    john
    The dealer I am getting my car from told me that he would have the VIN Number bu the third week of july, and I am supposed to get the car the third week of august. Is that normal, or should he have the number already....Please Help!!! I have a feeling the dealer may be giving me the runaround while waiting for a higher offer on the car...
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    The VIN# is not produced until the car is started being built. If the car has not been started yet, you will not have the VIN. Call him about every week or so and ask for it though, so you will get it when he does.
    There's nothing wrong with the situation that you described. The VIN is not assigned until the vehicle is produced, so on a direct order vehicle like the P5, the dealer submits the order and has to wait for its build assignment. The build assignment number stays in place until the vehicle is built and then the VIN is generated. This is done so that VINs stay in sequence.

Stay the patient course, of little worth is you ire.

:)
  • aardvark_markaardvark_mark Member Posts: 95
    I'm in the same boat as a lot of people apparently.. Ordered my p5 over a month ago, still no VIN number..

If anyone has ordered mazdas in the past, (especially on the east coast) how long did it take for the car to arrive once it was assigned a VIN number?.. (30 days, as lolman was told RE: #795 seems very optimistic)

Thanks as always,
    -Mark
    Tran,

happy that you bought the car! What color is it? The idea of Houston's P5 owner club is very tempting. I never belong to any such club, and open to suggestion. BTW, I'm born in vietnam, but lived in France for a while before I was moving to the States 4 years ago. My car owner history is:

1) used Renault 9 1987-1992, 1.1l, 60hp (?).
    2) new Renault Clio 1992-1993, 1.4l, 80 hp.
    3) new Citroen ZX 1993-????, 1.8l, 108hp.
    4) new Honda Civic EX 1997-2001, 1.6l 127hp.
    5) new Mazda Protege5 2001-????, 2.0l 130hp.

I'm pleased with 2 cars: the Citroen ZX, and of course the Protege5. Also as you might notice, the horse power is a strictly increasing function!

All the best,

Bruno
This discussion has been closed.