Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Toyota Highlander Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• scottnrosescottnrose Member Posts: 47
    Tom,
    I have heard of some regions charging TDA (Toyota Dealer Advertising) to the customer. This is especially evident in the southeast. That is why on KBB you will see various codes listing different prices and rebates.

Having said that - don't let them pull you into a negotiation over different individual amounts within the "invoice price". You should work from a trusted source price (like Edmunds or other) and negotiate to that invoice price or preferrably below. The TDA is their problem.

Pricing that you have been given sounds high. I think that you are correct in your assumptions. Try other dealers and, if you really want the HL at this lot, use the other quotes as leverage on this dealer to see if they will drop lower. But be willing to leave - I think that you can get an '05 for that price.

Good luck,
    Scott
  • ardaarda Member Posts: 2
    I am in the midst of negotiating for a FWD Limited 05 Highlander. I got prices little less than Edmunds' TMV for my region (northern CA). TMV price is quite a bit higher than the invoice price, and I was wondering how reliable the TMV is. Is there anybody who bought a highlander couple hundred dollars below invoice in northern CA?
    Thanks.
  • john13john13 Member Posts: 9
    Well after running around I was able to get gold HL.
    2004 4cyl, AWD, w/o 3rd seat, FE, QO, TO, MG, RL, CF, All weather floor mats and window etching.
    MSRP 27,347
    Invoice $24,654 before rebate.
    Price before taxes and DMV $23,464.00
    Edmunds TMV $23,880.00
    and got 3.9% financing.
  • cesarcesar Member Posts: 2
    john, I've visit about 3 toyota dealers but I'AM CONFUSED ABOUT GETTING 2WD OR AWD I'am from ny and some people have told me 2wd is good ,I ALSO WANT 4CYL.HERE ARE THE PRICES I GOT SO FAR,
      2WD 22,500
      4WD 23,800

2WD 21,500 0% FINANCE
       2WD 20,495 ? " "

WHAT SHOULD I GET 2WD OR 4WD .
    2004 OR 2005 ANYBODY PLEASE ADVICED ON ALL MATTERS

MANY THANKS ,CESAR
  • john13john13 Member Posts: 9
    I did test drive 2wd last Thursday. To me AWD drives the same way. I got AWD because it was the only 2004, 4cyl dealer had.

Like I said in my previous posts, I was able to get dealer down to $22,000 for 2wd with QO, RL, and MG packages (MSRP 25,590, TMV $22,300).

I looked around on the web. Any dealer that has 4cyl AWD, TOW package is part of it, so AWD are little more money.

To get 2WD or AWD it is up to you. If you can afford, get AWD. It should have better resale value.
  • sharifsmsharifsm Member Posts: 10
    I am in NC. I am looking to get a HL 2 wheel drive 4 cylinder, just the basic stuff, power windows, locks. what lease pmt am I looking at for a 48 mth 12k per year 0 down lease, I was quoted $350 pm by one dealer. please help

will I get a lower pmt on a 2004 or 2005. there is a 1k cash rebate on 04
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    That seems kinda high for a lease. See my post #1061 for what I paid for pretty much the same thing you're looking for. Having good credit my payment is $377/mo. for 60 mos.
    I seem to agree. Were you upside down on your trade in. any down pmt. My credit is good too.around 710.

what was your total financing.

how do u like the car, I am looking at the CRV and HL
  • brian23brian23 Member Posts: 9
    For anyone considering buying a new Highlander- please please read some of the comments under the 'problems' discussions. Quite a few of us have had significant problems with hesitation and surging in the transmission/engine system. At the very least, be sure to thoroughly test drive the specific vehicle you are going to buy before you drive it off the lot. I am the owner of a beautiful new V6 HL that is quiet, powerful and very very unpleasant to drive.
  • slam555662slam555662 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking to buy a HL base AWD model. I did some research on the Internet before going to the dealer, I found that there are difference on Invoice on differnt website.
    So, I went two different NY toyota Dealer Last monday, got a price quote on 4-Door 4x4 V6 SUV w/ 3rd seat. with option FE EH LF RL AG and floor mat.
    I had first Quote for this car for 26,429 + Tax + DMV. Which is 90 dollars below invoice price.
    Then I went to second dealer, the others sale gave me a hard which I had walked away so quickly. He's quoted at 30k at the beginning which he must thought that I would negotiate.

Guys, Is it a good price for this car.
    4x4 V6 SUV w/ 3rd seat. option FE EH LF RL AG.
    26429.00 before tax. Is there any rebate going on this car.
  • newhl1newhl1 Member Posts: 4
    Planning to buy a highlander this weekend.

Looking for FWD V6. The invoice price comes to

Did anybody recently got a HL in San Diego area.
    Any input on the price u paid and the dealer. I also like to know what kind of APR I can get from Toyota
  • cesarcesar Member Posts: 2
    I 'AM READY TO BUY THE HL BUT I CAN'T DECIDE BETWEEN FWD OR AWD .MY CONCERNS IS GAS, AND CAN A 4CYL,FWD DO WELL IN THE SNOW? DO AWD USE MORE GAS? CAN YOU TAKE THE AWD OF AND USE TWO?

PLEASE HELP.......
  • dawneedawnee Member Posts: 59
    Went to dealership today to drive HL to be sure I liked it. Was telling salesman things I really wanted and when I mentioned a sunroof he said if I found an HL that did not have the sunroof that could be put in aftermarket and that they did it all the time. They may do it all the time but I have heard horror stories, even in this day and time, of aftermarket accessories like a sunroof never working as well as the original. Anyone have any experience with this, good or bad?

Next thing is I have seen on some websites that there is an accessory of electrochromatic mirror with compass & outside temp gauge for the '04 HL but I don't see this listed anywhere on Edmunds. Can anyone tell me if this is an option or maybe it is standard in one of the packages and I am missing it.

Also the salesman told me he could price me an '05 cheaper than an '04, even though '04 had a $1,000 rebate, which sounded really wrong to me especially since he would be pricing a base model V6 FWD '05 with a app pkg, running lights, fog lights, pwr driver seat, mats and tow pkg, any thoughts from anyone out there about this?? Of course, maybe it was because he said they pretty much only had Limited '04's but I would think they would still want to get rid of those to make way for their '05's and so they would be willing to negotiate down more than normal on those Ltd '04's. Best I can tell the cheapest Ltd they have, invoice wise, is $28,775. Is it feasible to think they would come down even $1,000 below invoice since it is an '04? Or is that just ridiculous??

Sorry this is lengthy, just wanted the opinion of some people who have bought from Toyo dealers as my last vehicle purchase was from GM and their negotiations are quite different, just like now their rebates are sizeably more than Toyos.

All opinions and input appreciated. Thanks
  • brunnabrunna Member Posts: 53
    I'm so sorry it took me this long to get back on the board! My V6 4x4 gets about 20-21 around town - not bad! The third seat is a godsend (I have 3 young boys and a dog). This is by far the best vehicle I have ever owned because it does, and is, so many different things all at once. My adjectives to describe it: comfortable, roomy, fast, reliable, spacious, safe, fun-to-drive, quiet, sensible (a Lexus on a beer budget) and more! Two speeding tickets in 4 months will tell you how hard the V6 is to stay out of on a regular basis. My wife steals the keys every chance she gets - and we love her 2003 Odyssey. Good luck and email me if you have further questions you'd like me to answer.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    Hi cesar,
    For questions not related to the actual purchase experience, you'll want to talk to owners in our Toyota Highlander discussion to get their feedback.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• lee_wlee_w Member Posts: 239
    TRy shoppers board. This is for Prices paid and buying experience.
    Where is "shoppers board"?
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Here it is: Smart Shopper
  • rationalrational Member Posts: 7
    I am offered a 05 V6 4WD HL 27600 in Boston area. Is this a decent offer?
  • mas23mas23 Member Posts: 38
    I got a similar response from a salesman in the Chicago area. He said the price will be the same for a 04 or 05 HL (200 below invoice) but the 04 have a $1000 rebate and 05 have $500 (this is the first time I heard about a rebate on the 05). He told me about the 05 because the options that I wanted (sunroof and side airbags) were hard to find on the remaining 04. I will probably go see him this weekend and get something in writing.
  • cfraziercfrazier Member Posts: 16
    Dawnee/Mas23:
    Rebates changed for effective today for a few regions (Chicago one of them). The low interest rates were withdrawn with the cash incentives for the '04s going from $750 to $1000 and the introduction of the cash incentive for the '05s.

You will need to make the decision to go with the '04 or the '05 (price and ability to get desired configuration driving your decision). Logic does seem to side with the thought that the better position for the lower price is to go with the '05s. Having seen invoices for both, the information counters that line of thought. Having said that, dealers are paying $$ for the '04s to continue to sit. Hence, edge price wise to the '04 for better negotiation, but not much. After trying to get the '04 I wanted, the dealership has had a difficult time negotiating a trade. The '05 Ltd version/AWD I am after comes with the VV (Value Package) which combines the sunroof and the stereo upgrade, saving some $$ on the invoice price which makes it about dead even with the pricing on an '04. I had hoped to get a deal closed by the deadline of the low apr offering. Am now waiting for the '05s.

So, simply go for the better deal. And yes, I agree with you that it is better to have the options you desire already installed versus having them done post production, especially the sunroof.
  • kichankichan Member Posts: 28
    I saw an '01 4x4 Highlander listed for $16,999. Does anyone know if that is a good price? Haven't been to the dealer yet, but I just noticed that it isn't a certified vehicle (was leased with one owner). I checked the carfax and everything is ok, but I'm just a little leery about the fact that it isn't certified, and the warranty has just expired. If anyone has any experience or advice on purchasing a non-certified, I'd really appreciate it.
    Check out forum "Real world trade-in" in Smart Shopper, ask for Terry. Make sure you give all the details: model, options, color, location, etc.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    That would be here: Real-World Trade-In Values

tidester, host
  • kichankichan Member Posts: 28
    Thank you to all. I have posted my message for Terry and am awaiting his reply.
    I am looking at getting a HL 05 fin for 72 months, I was offered plat. warr. for $1800.00 it is 100k 84 months, including oil maintence, tyres, gap insurance etc. is it worth getting it. what is the best price I can expect to pay for it
    How do you post the link like that?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    [A href="http://www.goes.here">link</A] is the format, but substitute < and > for the end brackets.

Of course Tides programmed his own custom program for quick links to forum discussions :-)

Steve, Host
  • mtrialsmmtrialsm Member Posts: 159
    Just purchased a new '05 HL, 4cyl,auto,power seat,privicy glass,tow-package(heavy duty cooling),roof rack, Silver/gray int. Drive out $24900.00. It's hard to tell Toyota invoice but appeared to be about $750 below invoice?
    Macon,Ga.
    Just what we wanted, the 4cyl. is smooth and enough power for our needs. Just hope it gets
    expected mpg stated on sticker.
    MM
    So how do you think the 4 cyl compared with 6 cyl? I have driven the 6 cyl but not the 4 was just wondering if you think it has pretty good power. I don't need any towing capabilities but with the gas prices the 4 cyl mpg is more appealing.
  • sundevilsundevil Member Posts: 28
    I got the 84 month 75k toyota platinum warranty only for my 04 highlander for $600 with 0 deductible. Oil change, tires, gap insurance etc did not look useful to me. Even with these items included you might be able to get it for lower than $1800.

You do not have to purchase the warranty from the dealer you are planning to purchase the car. Get quotes on the warranty from other dealers in your area. Also check out the warranty forum.
    #1293: Can you please tell me where did you buy this warranty from
  • sundevilsundevil Member Posts: 28
    Arlington Toyota in Buffalo Grove, IL. I would have given you the name of the salesman but that is not allowed according to forum rules....
  • mtrialsmmtrialsm Member Posts: 159
    I admit I didn't drive the 6 cyl and compare it to the 4 cyl. It's pretty flat here in middle Ga.
    and I have a Dodge Dakota truck to due any hauling. We wanted the room of the Highlander and
    the best mpg I could hope for, so went straight
    for the 4 cyl's mpg and (price). We like it much better than the '99 Sienna van we owned before.
    The only weak point to me is the center console
    and so called cup holders. It was a 'clever'
    design but a standard center console would have
    been a more practicle design.
    I think the power is going to be ok for us.
    We have only put 275 miles on it, so looking forward to gettting motor broken in and it's first oil change with Amsoil!
    Mick
  • foxgreatwallfoxgreatwall Member Posts: 1
    Is this a good deal?

toyota highlander 2004

MSRP:$31836
    Invoice: $28527

OUT OF DOOR PRICE: $28000

I will buy it if you guys think the price is good. Thanks.
  • rpell46rpell46 Member Posts: 15
    Hi. I own an '03 HL, 4cyl, 4wd with the tow package. I do NOT tow, but I do travel to the mountains quite a bit. The 4 gives me ALL the power I need to accelerate to hightway speeds reasonabley, (no drag-racing this baby) and downshifts to 4400rpm on a looong climb. I average 22mpg on these trips. My load is me, my wife, my 80 lb. Lab and our luggage.

You do give up some mpg's to Four wheel drive, but in Brooklyn, NY I average 18 and normal flat road driving outside of NY I have gotten 25.

For me, the 4 is more than adequate for my uses.
  • rust1rust1 Member Posts: 13
    V-6 w/FE,TO,EH,LF,HE,AG,JY,CF
    Very pleasant buying expieriance in Redding, Ca.
    Paid $27500 + T&L for an OTD of $29778. Less than 500mi so far. Drives great.
  • pchadspchads Member Posts: 5
    I plan to buy HL this week
    I like Limited one-2005. White in Color
    The invoice is 30,034 and MSRP is 33954
    There is $750 rebate going on here in Bay Area but I plan to use finance option.

How much should i offer dealers here..
  • alphawolfalphawolf Member Posts: 100
    Driver and Fr Pasenger Seat Side Mounted $650?

TIA

Dean
  • landdriverlanddriver Member Posts: 607
    I believe it's the side airbags.
    Hmm. So, Toyota doesn't have side curtains on the 05 Highlander available?
  • rust1rust1 Member Posts: 13
    Option JY @ $650 is Driver & Front passanger seat mounted side Airbags, first & second row roll sensing side curtain airbags. Hope this helps.
  • inform_meinform_me Member Posts: 18
    Hello folks,

I am thinking of buying a SUV and have found a used Sequoaia SR5 in the same range as a new highlander. So I am torn between these 2.

How many of you have real problems with acceleration on a HL and how do I verify it during he test drive? Which one is safer (even without side airbags)?
    I am planning to keep it for 10 years.

Which one may have the overall lowest maintenance cost over 10 years, considering that I coudl get both at the same price?

Thanks
  • lee_wlee_w Member Posts: 239
    Also try the Smart Shopper board for more information. That is a good place for comparisons. Goodluck.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    Also, make sure you try the True Cost to Own tool here at Edmunds.com. That will give you an idea of the average cost of the vehicle over the 10-year ownership period.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• inform_meinform_me Member Posts: 18
    I just got a quote from a dealer for 2% over invoice on 2005 HL. Is ths a good price?
    Thanks, rust1.
  • tanspottanspot Member Posts: 2
    Anyone around Naperville IL have bought 05'HL V6 with 3rd-rw-seat?

I just sent out a few internet quotes but am not quite sure how it's going to work. I'm an internet person with buying stuff online, but buying cars online is my first time.

Any help on getting a good price is appreciated.
  • cfraziercfrazier Member Posts: 16
    Trans: Am in market as well. Get your research together and head to a dealership. I have heard some good reviews about Elmhurst Toyota and Naperville Toyota. There are a few '04s left, too. Am waiting to see if Toyota will better their incentives in November and will likely go with an '05 as well.

As for reference, DarCars.com was recommended as a website/dealer to use as comparisons. I have noticed they are giving a decent push on the '05s and will take this in with me in November. Darcars is in the DC/Maryland area. Would not be remiss to go their if a deal can be made.

Locally, I have also tried Arlington and Libertyville. Stick to your info. You are the only one looking out for you in the negotiation.

c
  • tanspottanspot Member Posts: 2
    Cfrazier,

Thanks for the input and info on DarCars.com!

I am hoping to visit a few dealers this weekend to complete the process.

tanspot