Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Toyota Highlander Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• lawnmowerlawnmower Member Posts: 35
    Well, what I figured is 300.00 under invoice first then I subtracted the rebate.The negotiated price should have nothing to do with rebate. Toyotagal, please give me a price based on my #'s that would be a good deal before TTL and doc fee. Thanks
  • goldstongoldston Member Posts: 110
    Sounds like a great deal. Congrat's and welcome.
  • pmg1704pmg1704 Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I'm in NYC. I was just talking with a salesman who told me that the base model 4cyl, 4x2, with a 3rd row has been discontinued? Is that correct? I got a price of 24,100 for the base 6cyl 4x2 with a third row. Pretty good, but I was looking for the 4 cyl. It's still offered on carsdirect.com for around 23,000, I left my rep a message and i'm waiting to hear back from them. thanks.
  • boiler1991boiler1991 Member Posts: 9
    Purchased in Cincinnati for $25,600 including dealer fees ($275). MSRP $30,719. Still have KY tax to pay. Vehicle options included: Val Pkg 6, pwr seat, cold weather pkg, Tow Prep, daytime running lights, floor mats.
  • jslyjsly Member Posts: 4
    I am also in the Seattle/Bellevue area. And I am in the market for a HL V6 AWD Limited . $32k with package #7 seems to be pretty good price. Does it include $1500 rebate?
  • toyotagaltoyotagal Member Posts: 215
    I went on to the Edmunds car buying site today and I couldn't believe the responses I got. There were 4 dealers in the area that received my request.

In my request I asked for E-mail rather than phone calls. You guessed it, the phone calls rolled in from some.

And some would give me no Internet price and asked me to call them or called me.

Not at all what I expected from Edmunds. What they were talking about was quoting me an Internet price for the vehicle specs noted.

That did not happen except for 2 vehicles which weren't close to my specs.

It is beginning to look like shopping on the Internet is not the pleasing experience I had hoped for.
    The Highlander I'm interested has a MSRP of 29,540 and the invoice is 26,296 as posted on Edmunds. The dealer invoice is 26,700. WHY???? Also he wants to sell me vehicle at 3% over invoice. Seems like a lot. What is the norm for purchasing over invoice.
  • goldstongoldston Member Posts: 110
    I can not answer why the difference of invoice prices. I would suggest that you print out the invoice from Edmunds and show it to the dealer and ask them to help you understand the difference. The 3% over invoice based on $26,700 = $801 not really so bad (IMO). I know when I purchased our two Highlanders we paid $500 over invoice on one and $600 over invoice on the other.

Good luck with your purchase.

Philip
    Why are the invoices for the same Highlander different on cars direct than Edmunds. Cars direct are higher because the web site claims that the dealer advertising fee are included. Can anybody confirm this or explain the differences. Thanks
  • dreasdaddreasdad Member Posts: 276
    your specs may not be how the Highlanders are coming, how can they quote you a price on a vehicel that doesn't exist?

I get quote request all the time for models that are not built that way, Corolla's with Navagation, 4runners with Manual transmissions, etc. Until I can comminucate with them either by email or phone I have nothing to go on. Some people send email requeats in then don't open their emails for weeks after, thats why I always call and tell them I recieved their email and have questions about what they are looking for. When I do give them a quote 75% of the time they end up asking if it includes other options that they have never asked about.
    click on the link marked "advertising fees" on the edmunds invoice page, might expalian a lot
  • jmastronjmastron Member Posts: 11
    Don't get too discouraged -- even with all the "fluff", it's still a pretty good way to buy a car.

I purchased a 2007 Honda Civic last week (I read this forum because we also have a Highlander Hybrid). The Civic has only different trim levels with no option packages, so it's a bit easier to compare/find the right car.

As you experienced, I also got a bunch of fluff
    1) Phone calls
    2) Generic Email replies, quotes on a different car, etc
    3) Lots of random confirmation emails from edmunds, autobytel, etc.

but I also got 4-5 good price quotes (a few hundred over invoice right off the bat), with one of them below invoice, and another (the one I went to) who not only had the color I wanted but was willing to beat that low quote by $200. The actual buying experience was very nice (dealt with the "E-commerce" department person mostly; price was as agreed; let me take a nice testdrive alone, etc)

Ignore the phone calls; email back with the car particulars if necessary and say you are in meetings all day; many will quote by email and some won't. If you don't get enough real quotes, of course, then you'll have to change strategy. Be sure to email back about fees/out-the-door price so you can compare "real" prices, and don't be afraid to forward the lowest quote to see if it can be beaten. I liked being able to crunch the numbers and respond without the salesman hovering.

In the end, all Edmunds does is provide a good way to get started/initiate contact with the right people at a bunch of dealers. It's then up to the "Internet Department" person at that dealer as to how they quote/deal from there. Not perfect, but still less hassle than negotiating with 4+ "managers" in person, and less likely to fall for an emotional hard sell/fake invoice/etc.

YMMV and Good luck,

Josh
  • johnkountzjohnkountz Member Posts: 5
    No, rebate reduces it further.
  • johnkountzjohnkountz Member Posts: 5
    4ED, that's funny. Missed the W key, it's next to E.

Should be 4WD.
    I will be getting a 2007 Highlander soon. However, I am still trying to understand why I would need an extended warranty during the first 3 years. Isn't the vehicle covered by the manufacturer's warranty for that period?

And then if an extended warranty is decided upon can't it be purchased after the 3 years or mileage limit have been met?
    Toyota will wright extended warranty UP TO the 3yrs and 36,000 miles, after that you can get an extened warranty but doesn't cover the same as the original warranty
    If I understand you correctly. I can buy a extended warranty that covers everything up to the time there is either 3years or 36,000 miles.

That being the case, what is the point of buying one at the point of purchase? Why not just wait until the original bumper to bumper factory warranty is about to expire?
  • gasman1gasman1 Member Posts: 321
    Some want the cost of the extended warranty included in their monthly payment. Others don't or pay cash so buying at time of purchase is a non-issue to them.

Some dealerships charge an additional $100 to purchase the warranty after 12 months or 12K miles. (most don't)

I suggest not getting it now. See how you like the vehicle... Also, (IMO) the extended warranty is useless unless you plan to keep the vehicle for 7 years/100K miles. (The standard warranty (powertrain) goes 36 month / 50K miles.)

You can purchase the Toyota Platinum warranty on line from a few great sources at a HUGE discount from most dealership prices. There are three that I recall, one is right here in Iowa City, IA, one is in Vermont (or western Massachusetts), and another is in Virginia. Sorry, I don't recall the names. You can Google for Toyota Platinum Warranty and get several locations. Last, but not least - stick with a Toyota warranty and stay clear of the after market brands.
    That sounds like good advice, Thanks. I intend to go that route at this point. i.e. not getting it now

I do however generally keep my vehicles about 12 years now................(smile)
  • aerosnowaerosnow Member Posts: 13
    Has anyone purchased one recently?

I have an offer in NYC for $29,546 without NAV (Tax & DMV fees not included), it comes with

Factory Installed Accessories: FE HD LL TO VV
    Port Installed Accessories ..: Z1

I think it is a good deal.....any thoughts?

I will probably buy end of month.
    That sounds almost like the deal that I am getting although they do not have a vehicle. Mine "purportedly" will come into port within the next month.

You are much like me, not wanting the navigation system. However, out this way it seems most of the Highlanders either are loaded or stripped. With virtually nothing in between, at least for the Millineum Silver, V-6.

I had to laugh when I started talking to dealers and asking how many miles were on the odometers. Finally I got a dealer to say "oh you want one in plastic". And I said "yes". Because I do not want test drive vehicles. I know because I have test driven vehicles and one of the things I wanted to know was how it accelerates. And I am not alone I'll bet. Definitely not a break in procedure for my new wheels when it comes into port.
  • aerosnowaerosnow Member Posts: 13
    Thanks. I need to asked the dealer how many miles are on this baby because he is getting it from somewhere else.
  • edge130edge130 Member Posts: 4
    Thought I got an good deal.
    Sticker price $26,489

I paid $22,300, which included a $1250 rebate

2007 Highlander 4x2 4 cyl e/w Cold Weather pkg, Extra Value 1 pkg, Daytime Running Lights, and Carpeted Floor mats
  • qeuohqeuoh Member Posts: 1
    Sounds like a great deal. I'm assuming that's before tax, title, and fees. What was your bottom line, final price?
  • dan bitmandan bitman Member Posts: 158
    did you finance through Toyota, or payed cash?
    For cash payment they're willing to sell for even lower.
    I guess
    thanks
  • edge130edge130 Member Posts: 4
    I paid cash, self financed.

I paid a $199 DOC FEE and $45 NJMVC fee to transfer the plates.
    Of course I had to pay 7% NJ sales tax. No other charges.

Unfortunately NJ, probably like all the rest, charges the tax amount before the rebate!
  • ashish2274ashish2274 Member Posts: 9
    I am in the market (NY/NJ) to buy a Highlander 4WD with 3rd row. I have been told that you cannot get a 4WD, 4 cyl with 3rd row. Is that true ?

For a 4WD, V6 with 3rd row, how does the following sound : 2007 HIGHLANDER 4X4 V6 MODEL# 6928 W/ CF EH FE PE RL TO VQ
    INVOICE 27,766.00 PLUS TAX AND DMV FEES.
    The dealer is offering me 27,660, but this includes about $ 1,300 comprised of TDA, Dealer Holdback, Whlsale Financial reserve.
    Is this a good price ? I am buying a car for the first time - any advice ?
  • typesixtypesix Member Posts: 321
    3rd row for 4 cyl Highlander can only be had with FWD and only in certain zip codes.
    I got an offer at invoice. Is it good?
    I also have an offer hanging on a similar vehicle near invoice. Usually a price near invoice is quite good compared to what the average buyer pays for some wheels.
  • dan bitmandan bitman Member Posts: 158
    just got an online offer from a SE Michigan dealer, for a similar 4cyl, 2WD HL, same options:
    Mi 6% taxes + TTL +doc fees - $1500 rebate, OTD = $23,200.
    I am thinking...wow, less then a RAV4 :confuse:
    Dan
    Got HL Limited with heated leather and moonroof for $400 over invoice. Overall the process was very pleasant . I started out on Edmunds's new car service. Sent bid out to 5 local dealers. Got one real online quote back which happened to be the dealer close to home. No pressure sale with the internet team. That's definitely the future to buy car. Got the car out the door in 1 hr 15 min.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter for a weekend news program is looking to interview consumers in the Los Angeles area who are interested in purchasing a hybrid. Please reply to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Thursday, March 22, 2007 with your daytime contact info.
    Thanks - do you know which zip codes - is there one available near NJ/NY ?
    Hi
    I am getting an offer at invoice + TDA, Dealer Holdback, Whlsale Financial reserve (total $ 1,300) + destination charge. Is this a good deal ?
    Is the TDA, Dealer Holdback, Whlsale Financial reserve negotiable ?
    Please HELP
  • trooperguytrooperguy Member Posts: 19
    Please advise the MSRP, dealership, and option codes for equipment included. Also please give breakdown of dealer extras, fees, destination fees, and TTL charges. Thanks for your help. Looking for good deal in Atlanta area.
  • typesixtypesix Member Posts: 321
    Go to Toyota website and build your own, it will ask for zip code.
  • maryb1maryb1 Member Posts: 5
    I'm trading my 2006 Toyota Highlander Limited Hybrid to a Lexus dealer. The invoice was $40,054 the dealer offered me only $26,000. It has 26,000 miles, Edmunds values the car at $28,000.The dealer said that's the book value. It seems kinda low to me. Are Edmunds prices high? The car is in mint cond. Mary
  • derekgaddyderekgaddy Member Posts: 32
    You're lucky they are giving 2k below book - take it. Surprised you're trading it in already. You're taking a bath.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    You can get some independent advice on what your trade is worth here: Real-World Trade-In Values

Post the details of your vehicle there, and someone can tell you what they are bringing at the auctions..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• teachrgalteachrgal Member Posts: 7
    Hi,
    I just picked up our new 07 Limited V6 FWD Highlander last night in the Metallic Silver color. Its such a nice SUV so far! I was hesitant to actually get an SUV as I've been driving a 95 Nissan 200SX for the past 12 years, but the research I've done and the various test drives finally convinced me. I had a wonderful experience at Longo Toyota here in CA. The price was incredible and so was the service. I paid 29,100 for the limited with everything except nav and dvd + tax and license, with 2.9% financing through Toyota.
    I'm really looking foward to learning a little bit more about my new "baby" from this forum.
    Thanks!
    Congratulations, teachgal. My 07 Toyota Highlander, nearly identical to yours is still in Japan. With delivery expected in 2 to 4 weeks. My Silver Baby has Leather Seats as well, does yours? I too did not want the Navigation but did get the DVD player.

You will have to keep me up to speed on your break in etc. as I will be doing the same in less than a month purportedly.

I also am in CA but in the Sacramento area. And there was not a single Highlander that I wanted at any dealership near here. Hence I had them get me one "under plastic" coming from Japan.
    Congratulations and welcome! There's a wealth of knowledge in past discussion as well as current members. Try the search feature and you should find more than you have time to read. There are a few negative posts, but far and away the HL has positive posts. Enjoy!
    I just found out my 2007 HL Limited can't play MP3/WMA. I am a little disappointed.
  • teachrgalteachrgal Member Posts: 7
    I was also bummed when I found out that the 07 didn't have an mp3 plug...the dealer I worked with said the 08s will have it. But I use a sony cassette adapter and its awesome...it plugs right into my ipod and the sound is incredible through those jbl speakers!

I was also wondering...have any of you new HL owners bought the Toyota Platinum or extended warranty? It was pushed on me during financing, but I didn't take it. I've gotten a better quote thru another dealer in another state.
    The extended warranties require answering several "ifs" for yourself. If you plan to keep it for 7 years/100K miles, it may be a good deal for you. If you worry about large repair expenses, it may be a good deal for you.

The HL is a reliable vehicle. However, there are a lot of complex (expensive) electronics... Whether a warranty is warranted ot not is your call. You have until the 36K/36-month factory bumper-to-bumper warranty to decide. There are a few of the warranty perks you give up by waiting (free loaner cars, trip interruption, etc...). I've also heard of some dealerships charging an extra $100 for the warranty if you buy after 12 months/12K miles.

Toyota of Iowa City, IA; Toyota of Greenfield, MA; and a VA dealership offer the Platinum warranty at a great discount. Last, but not least - if you buy, buy the Toyota warranty and no other brand. Your dealership is to be commended for offering it rather than some off-brand warranty. You might be surprised how many dealerships (all brands) push non-factory warranties and the customer must almost argue for a factory extended warranty.
  • terry921terry921 Member Posts: 3
    Hi

I have received the following quote from a dealer in Colorado.
    '07 HL Hybrid Limited AWD 3.3L in Sonora Gold, with Nav, Leather, 3rd Row and Value Package #3 (basically every option except the DVD system) - $38,106.
    All the dealers have quoted me $399 for Dealer Handling.

I have prices from 4 different dealers ranging from $39,224 to $38,106.

The Edmunds TMV price is showing as $38,786.

I am paying cash and not planning to finance.

Some questions:
    Is this a good price or should I push for deeper discounts?
    What is the dealers true price for this car (as opposed to the invoice price which I understand is an artificial number)?
    Is the Dealer Handling negotiable?

Many thanks!
    This forum is amazing.

Terry921
    In searching for my new Highlander I found that getting bids on the Internet beats dealing in person in many cases.

Definitely worth a shot. Check out Edmunds.com for starters.
  • terry921terry921 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks Toyotagal,

I did the research on Edmunds and have secured 4 bids from the internet....definitely the way to go in terms of negotiation and leveraging dealers against each other.

Do you have any insight to the 3 questions that I posed in my original post?

Thanks

Terry921
    Q 1. Good Price? What is the MSRP for your chosen vehicle?
    I usually consider how much off MSRP when looking at final price. When you get to 4K-5K off MSRP you are close to home............smile

Q2 &3. From "Invoice" there is also the Dealer's Preparation Fee and Dealer Hold Back which are negotiable. Although they will often tell you it is not.

Good Luck in your negotiations!