Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Toyota Highlander Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• advisor2advisor2 Member Posts: 6
    I just bought highlander Sports 4x4 with moon roof, Leather, towing package paid $34300.
  • shoreladyshorelady Member Posts: 13
    I live in new jersey. also have a friend at a dealer. a sport with these added options FE EH HJ PN QC OR To-- is (INVOICE) 30589. Here in new jersey there is a $500 advertisement cost included in the INVOICE of the car to the dealer. This makes it 500 over the Edmunds price. I also asked my friend about the difference. I trust his answer. Good luck
  • skinnytonyskinnytony Member Posts: 121
    shorelady, I come up with a different number.

Base 27,946.00
    Destination charge 685.00
    EH   Cold Weather Package 48.00
    HJ   Homelink 100.00
    PN   Anti-theft w/Immobilizer 176.00
    QC   Front Dual Zone Auto HVAC 300.00
    TO   Towing Prep. Package 160.00
    QR   Auto Rear HVAC 468.00
    Add $500 and you get $30,383. What do I have wrong? Also, where are you in NJ?
  • shoreladyshorelady Member Posts: 13
    Sorry- I forgot the carpets & carge nets. I live in Morris county- new jersey
  • bigausbigaus Member Posts: 8
    Thanks Shorelady. That answers my question. Sounds like $500 over Edmunds is about right.
  • kevin06kevin06 Member Posts: 12
    Thanks it's very informative. I requested a quote from the same dealership Toyota Motorcars in Cleveland after viewing your post and got such diff numbers below. Should I forward your post to them?

> Highlander 2008 4x4 $28,184.00
    > Highlander 2008 4x2 $25,828.00
  • lucky_777lucky_777 Member Posts: 205
    @kevin06
    I bought my HL more then a month ago and dealer must had his reasons to go that low. You can show them my post but it will not do you any good. Toyota Motorcars doesn't have to sell you a car at the price that I paid back in August. It is not something they advertised either. Better negotiation strategy is to mention that Toyota Ganley of Akron still sells 4x2 for $25,138.00 with all dealer fees included on eBay (auction #170147477285). You can use this as a starting point. You can also try to start a bidding war with Toyota dealers in the area. Let me know what final price you get. Good luck.
  • bigausbigaus Member Posts: 8
    2008 Highlander Sport 4x4
    Silver exterior/Black fabric interior

Options: moonroof, JBL, tow, homelink, cold weather, 50 state emissions, and carpet mats.

Price: $31,744 (MSRP $34,630, Dealer Invoice $30,944, $34,700 OTD)

Not the best deal but got 1st color choice and option package. Bought from Longo Toyota, Los Angeles. Impeccable service. Highly recommended.
  • paquettepaquette Member Posts: 5
    2008 Highlander Sport 4x4 Cypress Pearl/Grey Leather Interior

Options: tow, homelink, cold weather, convenience, mats, 50 state emmissions

Sticker Price $36635 we paid $33700. We got the rails and mud flaps and a tow hitch for the price of the tow hitch and got a very good deal on our 2001 Highlander Limited trade. Best deal? don't know, but based on Edmunds.com we got a good deal.

We purchased from Acton Toyota, Acton MA. Worked with Bill Morrissey. Things went so smoothly it was completely painless. This is our second vehicle from this dealership and are very pleased.
  • davehighlanderdavehighlander Member Posts: 4
    Just bought 2008 Highlander Sport 4x4 from LeMieux Toyota in Green Bay, Wisconsin.
    Sticker: $33,345.00
    Options: cold weather package $60
    anti-Theft system $220
    Power Moon roof $850
    Tow Prep Package $220
    Destination $685
    Exterior color: Classic Silver Metallic
    Interior Color: Black fabric

Delivered Price $30,100 (sales tax, registration,
    license fees not included).
    No dealer gimmicks like "paperwork" [sic] charges!

Think this is a good deal? :)
    Congrats paquette. I hope to be joining you in ownership by the end of the year. By any chance is your first initial "A" and did you formerly work in DE?
  • scottgbwiscottgbwi Member Posts: 85
    Considering I saw almost a dozen highlanders on their lot (in Green Bay) about a week ago; it's about time the prices are starting to drop. I don't know the invoice price, but that seems pretty fair. Did you consider doing a special order? Anything good or bad I need to know about working w/the Green Bay dealership or buying the highlander there? Did you buy a warranty? How much/for how long? Thanks, Scott
    I should have made it explicit that this is a purchase order/special order from a vehicle not in stock. This dealership has outstanding reputation in Northeast Wisconsin and Upper Peninsula of Michigan for the consistent quality of its services, beginning with sales: the customer is number one and you can save yourself time and thousands of dollars by contacting dealership at their website and use their internet consultant to get the best price available: no plays-and-games, dealer add-ons, "processing" fees, and other gimmicks. I can always obtain Toyota Platinum-Plus warranty through dealer or at internet prices: this dealer doesn't push add-ons. Toyota Platinum-Plus warranty is available for up to 7 years/100,000 miles and provides $0 deductible plans at very reasonable prices. This warranty can be bought anytime within the first 36 months of ownership. If you know what you want, your best bet with this dealership is to use their internet manager to get a deal on a vehicle configured exactly the way YOU want. Everything can easily be handled over the internet and many of my friends who buy their Toyotas from this dealership only show-up in person on the day of delivery to sign the paperwork and drive way. For those out of state, Green Bay has excellent airport and you can easily arrange to fly to Green Bay, pick up your new car, and drive home a happy buyer knowing you may have saved thousands of dollars and had an enjoyable purchasing process. :)
  • scottgbwiscottgbwi Member Posts: 85
    davehighlander,
    What was the asking price for the platinum-plus 7 year warranty? scott
  • paquettepaquette Member Posts: 5
    sorry I've never been to DE
  • advisor2advisor2 Member Posts: 6
    I paid $1200 for Higlander Sports 4x4 extended warranty with $0 deductible for 7 years or 75k Miles.
    Lots of money down to the drain...I've done some reading here before buying extended warranty. I ended up paying $560 for the same warranty (Platinum Toyota Care $0 deduct 7year/75K miles)from Toyota Midwest Super store in Kansas. Cancel yours and buy it from Toyota Midwest Super store. Call them and talk with someone from finance department..
  • eastwingeastwing Member Posts: 78
    Got the following quote from a dealer in Twin Cities, Minnesota:

2008 Limited 4x4, with GPS Navigation (NV), Heated Seats (HD), Power Moon Roof (SR), Power Rear Door (PB), Auto Rear Air System (QR), Rear Spoiler(RF), Tow Prep Package(TO), All-Weather Floor Mats(2R), and Exhaust Tip by Valor (E5).

MSRP: $40,334
    Price (before TTL): $37,334

I checked some Web site and found that the invoice price for the above configuration is $35,525. Since there is a $683 dealer holdup, so the real dealer cost is $34,842.

Is this a good deal, considering the supply/demand etc.?

Thanks,
    Eastwing
    Very accurate observation, lucky_777! Excellent price available online and for few dollars more could get the Platinum Toyota Care $0 deduct 7year/100,000 miles. In any case as you suggest, persons who paid more from dealer should within 30 days of purchase contact Toyota as indicated in Platinum Care Policy and get 100% refund and then buy identical policy at reduced price online. Policies are also transferable to new owner and can be refunded after 30 days of issuance based on pro-rated length of time policy has been in effect.
  • cmptrguy74cmptrguy74 Member Posts: 21
    I thought the Exhaust Tip option is "SF". I've ordered mine with the "SF" (Stainless Steel Exhaust Tip) with the impression that this is the same identical tip that's put on the Sport models...

Is SF the same exhaust tip that's on the Sport models, or is E5 this tip?

My order is close to the same, but is 4x2 Limited, has EY (DVD Rear-Seat Entertainment System), CT (Carpet Mat Set) - instead of 2R, P4 (Vehicle Shield Package), XM (XM Satellite Radio Receiver Kit), & SF (Stainless Steel Exhaust Tip) - instead of E5.

I'm very interested in learning the difference between E5 and SF. I want the identical tip that's on the Sport Models? Anyone know which corresponds to this :confuse:
    I have subscription to the buying kit of CR and cannot find SF option...maby it is a dealer specific option not from Toyota?

How much did you get off MSRP? Which state are you in? It is a custom order, how long do you need to wait?

Thanks,
    Eastwing
  • saturn6saturn6 Member Posts: 1
    HELLO,
    I AM LOOKING INTO A HIGHLANDER BASE 4X2 2008
    CAN ANYBODY GIVE THE INVOICE PRICE OF THE CAR WITH THE FOLLOWING.
    CONVENIENCE PKG, 6-DISC CD, DAYTIME RUNNING LIGHTS,DELETED 3RD ROW SEAT AND TOYOTA GUARD (DON'T WANT BUT COMES WITH). + DELIVERY CHARGES AND DEALER FEES.
    RESEARCH SHOWS $25600-$26300. ANY INFO WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED
    Has anyone got better deals since it is close to end of month? Please share.
    lucky77, you are absolutely right. I forwarded your post to Toyota Motorcars and they said couldn't sell at that price. Then I showed another dealership Ganley's $25,138 and they promised to beat it by $100. In the mean time I requested quote from about 5 other dealerships. Only one of them came back with a lower price w/o being told Ganley's price. Here is the pricing (with standard options. I also requested for 2 more models),

Base 2wd - $24,978 + TTL
    Base 4wd - $27,334 + TTL
    Sport 4wd - $29,513 + TTL

I was thinking to start a bidding war but seems no much room for the Base 2wd. I might go for a Base 2wd or a Sport 4wd. How would you and/or everyone here think about the prices above?

Thanks.
    You need to decide what you want first. If it is 2wd base then it comes in few different flavors. The one you're talking about most likely to have 2 row seating and no options. Edmunds invoice with destination on it is $24,390. Then closer you get to it then better the deal is. Make sure you compare apples to apples though. Ganley's $25,138 includes all dealer fees including $250 doc fee and $25 for title. You can see there is some room for negotiations here no matter what dealer says. This weekend should be very good to buy a car. End of the month and end of the quarter.
    Kevin, can you elaborate on the options included in the pricing you list? Would help immensely in evaluating and comparing. Thanks.
    They are all standard, or say no options.

lucky77, I am thinking to go for a Sport 4wd if I could get it for less than $29,000 (is that a good price?). Otherwise I will go for a base 2wd. You are right the Base 2wd - $24,978 has no 3rd row seat and no options, just a plain one. I believe the one at Ganley has no 3rd row seat too and no options. The doc fee here is $125 plus title $25. So they are comparable. How do you think?

I have already set an appointment with the dealer for TOMORROW. I'll see if I could get another hundreds off. I could walk out. Another dealer asked me to cancel this appointment and come to them for just $100 and I didn't answer them yet.

Any advise is appreciated.
  • newcar40newcar40 Member Posts: 3
    I got a quote for a Highlander Sport, 4wd, leather, sunroof, etc, and NAV of $35,500 (plus ttl and fee). It's basically the same as what Carmax is offering.

Is this as low as I can get for this? Invoice is 34,976

Any advice is appreciated
    Kevin,

I wouldn't go to the dealership without a firm price in my hands. Over last few years I negotiated car prices for my relatives and friends. I used mostly internet and only went to a dealer to pick up the car. I think you get much better leverage when negotiating from the comfort of your home. You need to understand that price on HL will only go down with time. Use internet, phone, and fax to get a firm price on the car that you want. There is very slim chance that you get better price in person at the dealer. As far as Sport vs Base... I couldn't justify extra $2.5 - 3K for Sport and have no regret so far but this is your money. You can look up invoice + destination price on Edmunds.com and decide how much you are willing to pay on top of that.
  • hellofromcalihellofromcali Member Posts: 10
    Hi Everyone,

Hope everyone is ready for the weekend! I have this quote for 2008 Highlander Limited 2WD. Please let me know what you think? This is in CA.

MSRP $36,180
    Sold price $35,680.00 (plus tax, licence, etc..)

These are the options:

50 State Emissions .........................
    JBL AM/FM 6-Disc In Dash CD Changer with ...
    Hands-Free Phone Capability via Bluetooth ..
    Wireless Technology, Satellite Ready .......
    Capability, (Requires: Subcription to ......
    XM or Sirius, Antenna and Receiver), .......
    MP3/WMA Playback Capability and 9 ..........
    Speakers (including sub woofer) in 7 .......
    locations ..................................
    Multi-Stage Heated Front Seats .............
    Power Rear Door ............................
    Color-Keyed Sport-Styled Rear Spoiler ......
    with LED Stop Lamp .........................
    Power Tilt/Slide ! Moonroof w/Sunshade .......
    Carpet/Cargo Mat - 3 Row Seating ...........
  • newcar40newcar40 Member Posts: 3
    Hellofromcali,
    I think you can do better. Carmax has a Lmtd 4WD for 35,498, with similar options. So it seems that a FWD should be cheaper than that.

Also, have you considered a Sport? You can get the same options, leather, sunroof, etc, for roughly 1.5/2k less than Lmtd. Main difference is that Sport does not have the "wood" accents and suspension is a bit stiffer (albeit it's still very cushy).

Good luck!
  • hlcthlct Member Posts: 1
    Looking for a 2008 HL in Connecticut. Can anybody share which is the best model, Base, Sport vs. Limited? Can anybody also share the price? Many thanks.
    I cannot say for CA but here in MN you can get much better price, probably 2-3.5K off MSRP for a Sports model.
    @Kevin

Ganley Toyota advertised 4x2 base for $24,777 in today's Plain Dealer on page D12.
    Thank you so much, Lucky. I just found it on line too. Do not know if that includes doc & titling fee already. This morning a dealer got me a new price - 4x2 base for $24,699 + TTL(L-$250) with 1st year free maintenance to beat the $24,978 +TTL (L-$125). I followed your advice and did not go see any of them today. I informed the 24978-dealer of the $24,699. Unfortunately they said they couldn't do any better. So I plan to go get the one for $24,699 tomorrow.

By the way the new price I got for Sport 4x4 is $29,289 now. Still struggling which one to pick up:)

Thanks again.
    You need to decide for yourself if you want Base or Sport. Base is enough for me but I got 4WD 3 row seat version. I figured that 4WD is better choice for Ohio snow. Starting 10/1 sales tax in Cuyahoga county rises from 7.5% to 7.75%. This adds around $60-70 to the HL price.
  • vinnbellvinnbell Member Posts: 10
    Eastwing, can you tell me which dealer in MN would do 2-3.5K off MSRP. I'm looking for a Sports trim. You can email me (vinnbell@hotmail.com). Thanks!
    Hi,

I am back again with a new Highlander. I just purchased it today. It is Limited 2WD with all the options except NAV and DVD. the color is metalic gray. The price after tax and everything is $37,017.

I think it is a good deal. What do you think?
  • qs933qs933 Member Posts: 302
    What was the price before tax and license? Otherwise, it's hard to compare.

My quote for a Limited 2WD with the JBL/Bluetooth; Auto Rear Air; Power Back Door; and rear spoiler was $1.8K off of the MSRP of around $35K (before taxes and fees).

My dealer wasn't able to locate a Magnetic Gray Limited, so I've just been waiting (and considering other colors).
    Hey, I love my new Highland! It is spacious, comfortable...and looks very luxorious inside, and it is metalic gray. If you've been waiting for this color, i would recommnd you keep waiting because for i think it is the best color in my opinion. Cypress pearl would have been my second choice if we could not find this color. I think cypress is hard to find too tho.
    Mine was $34,000 before ttl. MSRP was $37K something (no auto rear air, no dvd, no NAV). It was basically 2% above the invoice. two other dealers offered 3% over invoice, and one did even have my color. when i went to the dealer, they said they will try to beat that. so i offered 1 % over invoice, and the guy looked at me and said "I know you've been shopping but 1% over the invoice? forget that. NO DEAL". I left and came back later and offered 2%. I did not how much paperwork involved even we did not finance. Where do you live qs933? there still one Metalic gray left with for this limited in North Cal.
  • ernieblueernieblue Member Posts: 1
    Hey there from Cali,

My wife just bought a Limited 4x2 with navigation for $34701
    out the door was $37925.00. Most of the dealers won't deal on the vehicle up here on the central coast. But one of them did $500.00 over invoice on the one I bought.

Ernie
    Try Walser Toyota. They are a so-called "best price" zero-negotiation dealer, but you may get better deals depending on inventory history of a specific vehicle. For a limited model, they offered 3K off without any negotiations. For sport model, I guess it can be a similar or better saving becasue of the larger supply.
  • jjacksharpyjjacksharpy Member Posts: 1
    looking for 2008 Limited 4wd Sport New York area.
    MSRP 36135
    Invoice 31693

got a qoute for 33,000 not including tax and tags is this a good deal here in NY please let me know im also going to get the magnetic grey
    Lucky, finally I got a same model as yours today, Base 4x4 with winter pkg, convenience pkg, 3rd row seats, carpet mats and tow prep pkg for $26,800 (sticker $30,230). I knew I did not get the deal as good as yours but I tried hard if not the best.

Thanks a lot for your advices.
    I think you did good. Did you do your negotiation in person at the dealership or from home? You paid a little more then me but you got convenience and tow prep pkg that I don't have. You also saved some on sales tax by buying today. 4WD is better suitable for Ohio weather. You'll enjoy it. What dealer did you buy it from and what other fees did you pay on top of $26,800? What is your total? BTW I bought extended Toyota Platinum warranty 7year/75K miles for $560. Let me know if you're interesting and I'll provide you with contact info.
  • bjosephsbjosephs Member Posts: 13
    Purchased a 2008 base Highlander 4x4 last weekend in MA for $28,300 with a MSRP of 31,262.
    Includes:
    Convenience package
    Cold weather package
    AM/FM 6cd
    Daytime running lights
    Engine Immobilizer
    Carpet floor/Cargo mat, 3rd. row seat mat
    Close to so called dealer cost for this vehicle of $28,014
    It is waveline pearl.
    This does not include 5% sales tax or registry fees.
    Over all happy with this deal, any comments?
    According to edmunds invoice+dest is around $27K on this car. How did you come up with $28,014??

Invoice
    National Base Price $25,587

Optional Equipment $580
    DJ AM/FM/6CD w/6 Speakers $188
    CQ Convenience Package $192
    RL Daytime Running Lights $104
    EH Cold Weather Package $48
    PR Immobilizer $48

Destination Charge $685

Total with Options $26,852

Add around $150 for floor mats.
    Hi Everyone,

I have a question about Extended Warranty for any experience buyers out there.
    When i bought this Limited i was offered Extended warranty for 6/75k for $1500 which includes the Prepaid Maintenance program. Is it a good deal? anyone in here bought it? Is there a better company for this extended warranty online?
    Thanks all
    Thanks, Lucky. I cut $300 off their final quote at the dealership. The quote was $27,098 after beating the other dealership's $27,334 (doc fee $125) and they said that was the final number. Since it was the last day of the month and of the quarter, I am thinking probably I could pull another $300 off :) Sorry I forgot to tell you that I am not in Cleveland. I am in Columbus. The dealer is Toyota West (recommended here) and my total is $28,901 (tax 6.75% already). I haven't thought about extended warranty yet. I'll let you know if I need that info. Thanks.
    Hi Lucky,

I asked a question earlier about Extended Warranty but now that I read this post of yours about this. Could you tell where you got this Toyota Platinum warranty for $560? is it through Toyota or a third party? do you know if this is available in CA? and is it refundable if you don't use the service like some posters in here said?

Thank you