Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    Oh okay... gotcha now. :)

My first thought was OOOH, he got reamed.

10,000 with repairs/mods is not bad. I bought mine for about 6k, and I've probably put that much into suspension, tires, gears, lockers, accessories, winch, etc so I probably have about 12k in mine. :)

My 2.5L is at 112k now and still running strong. With a good tranny and clutch, it should be good for a lot longer. Was your tranny the AX-5 or the Puegot/Renault transmission? THOSE are notorious for failure and I'm surprised if one of them got 102k on it. THAT is pretty good.

With proper searching on the net, you can find some good mods/accessories w/o braking the bank. A 4.0 or a V8 could fit in there quite well, but you'd REALLY want to swap the transmission for something much stronger if you did that. So an engine swap would entail a lot more than just the engine.

-Paul
  • oldyjoldyj Member Posts: 5
    glad to hear I didn't get reamed to bad. Thanks
  • birdjaguarbirdjaguar Member Posts: 15
    4 banger mileage vs 6 cyl mileage isn't THAT much different.

On the highway, no, but in the city, I get almost 25 mpg with my 4 cylinder.
    Specs on changes? Bigger tires? Different gears? Hard/soft top?

I have 33's on mine and I was concerned about mileage/speed so I tracked exactly 1 mile on my GPS and found my odo was a tiny bit off (less than .1), so I know my mileage is accurate.

If you have put different size tires on your Jeep and not installed the proper speedo gear that corresponds to tire size and differential gears, your mileage numbers may be a bit off.

I've never seen a TJ (4 or 6) pull 25 in town.

-Paul
    I've never seen a TJ (4 or 6) pull 25 in town.

I get about 350 miles(more or less)/15 gallon tank fill up. 25 mile round trip to work and back on city streets, that's about the use it gets; and the occasional longer summer drive (on and off road )and fun in the snow. :D On the highway, it's about 20 mpg.
    Holy....

I've never seen that... I'd like to know what tips you have for getting that mileage. I know I will never see that. With my 33's, doors off, armored bumpers, rockers, sliders, underside armor, etc... I am WAY to heavy to get that. :)

-Paul
    I am WAY to heavy to get that

I just have the basic, factory setup: soft top all year, Goodyear Wrangler MT/R Tires. Take the doors off all summer, and have a tune up every other year. If I put armor on it, that would obviously make it worse, but I only go off roading in the summer a few times, so it's not a basic necessity for me. So far, very reliable, the only thing gone bad was the power steering fluid leaking a few years ago.
  • yjbobyjbob Member Posts: 56
    In my 95 YJ (2.5L I-4), I often get 22 - 24 MPG. I have small (stock) tires). I usually drive at 50 - 55 MPH (the grand daddy MB's redlined at 60). In town, I get closer to 20 MPG, and faster than 55 tanks the mileage quickly. Definitely drive with a feather on the foot, with the tach between 2000 and 2500. Shift at 3000 - 3200 going uphill, but much lower going downhill. Still going strong at 116k miles. Enjoy reading all your comments.
    Think I found my problem. :) On the highway I try to keep it at 70... more for safety's sake so I don't get a car wanting to meld with my rear bumper. :)

-Paul
  • oldyjoldyj Member Posts: 5
    recently bought yj (see post # 22997) have read first 20000 posts so far. Thanks to Tom, Mac, and Eric, you guys have saved me a bunch. As an old Harley guy I was going to put high flow air, different pipes, etc. like we used to do on bikes until I read your info. This board should be required reading for all new jeep owners...appreciate all the knowledge
  • texasjeeptexasjeep Member Posts: 270
    So where is the mayor and all the old schoolers?
  • wheelsdownwheelsdown Member Posts: 250
    You know, I don't know where they are. I peek in here almost every day. My TJ is stock and my every day transportation. I can't add much about modifying or off roading but I miss the adventures and advice of those guys.

Terry
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    I guess some of us still look in from time to time........... :shades:
  • jeeplyonjeeplyon Member Posts: 3
    I just purchased an '04 Wrangler Sport. I am new to Jeeps and 4 wheelers in general. The Jeep came with stock 215/75 R15 tires. I would like to add a set of 31x10.5x15 tires. My question is what do I need to do, in the way of lifts, to insure there is no trouble. Rubbing,Death Wobble, etc. Also, will these tires fit on stock rims? Thanks for the help.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    You can run 31s without a lift, but you will probably have to put some washers under the steering stops to prevent rubbing at full lock(some TJs rub, others don't, my 1999 Sahara only rubbed on left full lock). Its a very simple procedure; here is the how-to.
    As for the wheels, the minimum rim width for most all 31s is 7 inches, although 8-8.5 inches is the optimum width.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

Thanks for the info. You have been a big help. One more question. I may add some lift anyway, just to improve the look. Do you have any advise on how to choose how much and the best way to accomplish? Thanks Again.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    I'll have to let erickpl or Mac answer that question; with the exception of Bilstein shocks I've kept the suspension of my TJ stock.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

Good to see you Mac and Terry. I hope all is well.

Still some MIA. I may have to track them down.
    Several different routes you can take.
    I would recommend a spring spacer lift. You can also go with a small body lift or a suspension lift.
    I'm an old timer now???? :)

I've only been on here since 2001. hehehe

If you are wanting to add a lift simply for looks, the budget boost is a good option for you - low cost, easy enough to do.

Basically, the budget boost is some spacers that go on TOP of the coil springs. You remove the shocks, lower the axle, pop the spring out, install spacer on body end (on top), then reinstall the spring and a longer shock. Do that for all 4 corners. It is much simpler than it may sound here.

If you want to get new, longer springs and shocks, you can go with a package from Old Man Emu (OME) or Rubicon Express (RE). When you lift your rig, your axles will shift a bit to the side due to the track bar (which keeps it centered side to side normally). A longer track bar will usually solve this, but most go with an adjustable trackbar from JKS or Rubicon Express. So these package lifts will have springs, shocks, adjustable trackbars, and sometimes sway bar disconnects (to give better articulation to the front axles offroad).

I, Tom, and Mac all run OME suspensions and I LOVE how it rides on and offroad. My 97's springs were worn anyway so a complete setup was a better option for me. Your 04 may still have good springs and the budget boost may be a good way to go. For daily drive use, lifts between 2-4" is common (I have 3" lift and 1.25" body lift). With a 2" lift you could run 32x11.5" tires no problem as long as the wheel's backspacing was lower than the factory wheels which are 5.5".

If you have stock wheels, you CAN add wheel spacers, which I did, but you can also put on some wheels with backspacing in the 4.25" range (American Racing 767 AR767 black steel wheels are popular) and run those wider tires.

With a 4" lift you could run 33's easily.

Ideally, you'll want to keep your SUSPENSION lift (budget or package) under 4" to avoid steering and driveline angle complications. But a 2.5" lift like OME with a 1" body lift (which raises the body off the frame a bit) is a VERY popular and reliable setup with minimal complications.

Any other questions, just ask.

Here is my TJ with the OME lift, JKS body lift and 33x12.5" tires on stock wheels (I used SpiderTrax 1.25" spacers to move the wheels out a bit to avoid rub).

-Paul
    Thanks for the advise. I learned more in that one posting than I did searching the internet for days. Great Looking Jeep. That's what I'm shooting for.
    Hehehe too funny.

Just let us know if you have any other questions. The way I did it worked well for me, but there are a LOT of options out there. I'll naturally recommend what I've done as I can relay what worked well in my situation, but others have done things that I would LIKE to do, but didn't really fit with my budget or my intended Jeep use.

-Paul
  • tool58tool58 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 4cyl auto trans Wrangler runs fine until engine is hot [not overheating] then it will miss a couple of times and shut down it will then start and run maybe 20 miles or so and repeat process nobody locally seems to be able to find the problem
    Do you get any codes displayed or the check engine light? May be worth taking it to auto parts store.

When was the last time you swapped plugs or changed the wires? When I got my 97, replacing the plugs and wires was one of the first things I did and it has run pretty smoothly until I ruined a throttle position sensor while in the mud. :D THAT threw the check engine light.

-Paul
  • deperez007deperez007 Member Posts: 2
    Hi folks. I just ordered an '08 JK Sahara Unlimited with hard top, auto trans, and a 3.73:1 rear axle. I would like to swap out the factory wheels and tires with the 17 inch JK Rubicon wheels and Firestone Destination M/T LT285/70R17 tires. I really don't want to go too large and I realize that these will not be that much bigger than the factory 18 inch wheels and P255/70R18 tires that come standard. Just a different look and slightly bigger. I intend to also add the Warn Rock Crawler Bumper with the Warn Power Plant HP winch mounted on it (front) and the Rampage Recovery bumper (rear). I then want to slightly "spacer" lift the Jeep to give it "that look." Given the wheel/tire size and the additional weight of the bumpers/winch, and so as not to make the wheel/tire combo look small in the opening, any thoughts on what size spacers I should use? 3/4 inch? 1-3/4 inch? 2 inch? Different size front and rear? Any recommendations on replacing shocks? How soon is the tax rebate coming?

Any help, advice, or guidance is appreciated.

Thanks. Steve

And remember, let's be careful out there...
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454

Spoiler in Straightline
  • hayneldanhayneldan Member Posts: 657
    Chinese copy er
  • karlw90karlw90 Member Posts: 59
    Hey all, it's been a while since I posted here. I have been on here since I've owned my 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. I'm finally making some changes that I've been putting off for a while.

First off, any opinions on lift kits? I am working with a local mechanic to do the actual work, he recommended Skyjacker, he said in his work with installing suspension lifts, Skyjacker always fits the best. I found a few quotes for the 2.5" Skyjacker lift at around $750. Note that even with the lift I will be doing little off-roading, so I don't think OME is necessary, even though from what I read it's the best. He's quoting me around $375 for labor, which includes adjusting the turn stops for larger tires. I am doing a 2.5" lift so I can fit 32x11.5 tires. I've read several people running Pro Comp lifts, which seem to be on the cheaper end in terms of cost, but they don't have 2.5" inch lift - just 2" or 4", from what I could find. Plus I question why they are so much cheaper than the other lift kits.

I'll be going with BFG A/T tires. I'm debating whether to buy 4 or 5 - at this point, I can't afford to get the rear bumper/spare tire holder replaced to be able to fit a 32" tire. So in the near future, if I get a flat, I'll be calling a tow truck. I've read that running the spare stock 29" with a 32" is a very big no-no.

As always, thanks in advance with any info.
  • karlw90karlw90 Member Posts: 59
    I own a 2005 2-door Unlimited. There are a lot of Jeeps in the Chicago area, but I see VERY few 2-door Unlimiteds. I like the fact that I own a model of Jeep that very few others seem to have went with.

I am kind of surprised, actually, that so few bought it. I think it's the perfect combination of getting some extra cargo/seating space in back without having to drive a 4-door vehicle. I love how it looks with the top down and the doors off.

Oh well, just my opinion. I guess we're in the minority - which I like!
    Personally, I'd stay away from both Skyjacker and Procomp. Experiences I've heard from owners talks about rougher rides, joints not lasting, etc.

I personally would recommend either a Rubicon Express or OME lift. I personally have OME (Old Man Emu - partnered with ARB here in the US), and I've been thrilled with how it handles on AND offroad. Traintracks, turns with bumps, are MUCH better with the OME and JKS parts I have installed.

www.dpgoffroad.com has OME 'kits' with JKS parts as well and are a GREAT match for your TJ. Dirk Sanders runs the place (I personally think DPG stands for Dirk the Parts Guy) and will help you set something up.

Their Ultimate kit includes springs, shocks, JKS trackbars to help keep axles centered, JKS sway bar disconnects, bump stops, body lift, motor lift, and it a pretty darn complete setup. Though I bought mine over time, those are the parts I run. Been VERY happy with it thus far.

-Paul
  • slogan21slogan21 Member Posts: 1
    I found a 1998 streight six engine. will it bolt to the 1991 transmission. If so what all needs to be done to put it in.
  • finallyajeepfinallyajeep Member Posts: 3
    LOOOONG time reader and occaisional poster ...

Well after many long years of financial woes i have finally gotten myself a Wrangler!!!

It is a Black 2005 Sport! Hard-Top, 6 Speed, pretty stock!!!

Anyway, wanted to brag a bit and say hi to Tsjay and Bama! I spoke with them about 4 years ago when I was looking at another Jeep!!!
    Not likely. New transmission may be required, depending on what engine was in there before. If a stronger engine, new transmission may be required. Axles should be examined for strength. If a Dana 35 axle, may want to swap at least that.

-Paul
    tsjay isn't on here much anymore (if at all). Bama checks in occasionally.

Mac and I are probably the remaining guys (with mac having been here longer than me.

Enjoy your jeep!

-Paul
    Paul,

With Tom hardly ever checking in, looks to me like you are in line to be the next Mayor.

Mac still comes in with good technical advice on occasion. I wish it was more.

I look in here every day. I don't post often because I don't have the experiences you guys have. I just use my TJ as daily driver and have almost no trouble (except the dreaded radiator replacement).

Terry
    Oh man, not the Mayor, how about DA? :)

The radiator is an EASY swap - even I swapped mine out on a 42 degree day! Sucked, but doable.

My Jeep is a daily driver, but not driven every day. I love the combination of DD-ability and offroad capabilities. Even my little 4 banger does well. I've had ZERO maintenance issues other than a water leak through the heater core gasket. But I fixed that myself. No dealer services for me if I can help it!

-Paul
  • finallyajeepfinallyajeep Member Posts: 3
    Is there an affordable dolly for the hardtop storage? i have seen the ones online for around 150!

or if anyone has some plans to build your own that would be cool too!
    Go to message #17432 and follow that thread.

For a build your own, check out message #21360.

Terry
  • moharamohara Member Posts: 16
    Hi all,

does anyone know a good source to get replacement body panels for a 2000 wrangler? i have searched online, but oddly it seems that there are lots of places that have panels for 87-95 models but no one has them for the later models. is there a reason for this? thanks for any help.

michael
    What panels you looking for?

www.jeepsareus.com may carry some. You may also check out www.car-part.com, which searches salvage yards. I have one near me with quite a few TJ's. Depending on what you are looking for, it could be easy or tough to find. Fenders are VERY hard to find intact at a salvage yard. Trust me, I've looked!

You may also want to check the various Jeep sites. Many offroaders upgrade body parts to armored versions, so could possibly find takeoffs that way as well.

I actually scored a FREE TJ hood and cowl (both of which I damaged in a flop) on the local 4x4 site, so deals CAN be found.

-Paul
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    Has been a LONG time since I checked in around here.

How is everyone doing?

The Tomster is doin' OK. Well, my kleptomania does bother me sometimes, but I can usually just "take something for it." :)

Tomster
    Have you hugged your Jeep today?
    Tom, good to see ya popping back in here on occasion. Mac and I try to hold the fort down, but having your TJ experience here is always nice! :)

-Paul
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Well, golly! Thanks for taking the time to visit - gotta keep that kleptomania in check somehow. :)

And now that you're here, tell us what you've been up to.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    Just the same old same old, Tidester. How have you been? Is old Steve still around?

These stupid gas prices have kept me from wheelin' very much this year, and the weather has not helped either. Turkey Bay was closed a good part of the winter and early spring because of saturated soil.

Just traded in my little S-10 for a Cobalt to avoid some upcoming repair costs and to get a daily driver that gets 30 MPG.

Hankster is still hangin' in there with me. That boy sure loves to go Jeepin', just like Ross Allen did. He behaves himself very well while we are out there on the trails, and if he gets a little too far from me, all I have to do is call him, and he comes running.

Lord willing, I will be going back out West in a couple weeks. I plan to go back out to ID and western MT, like I did last year.

Tomster
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I'm doing fine but we could use a little of that global warming up here in ID! I think it's a little warmer over at Steve's end of the state - but not by much. He should be making an appearance here shortly. :)

Gas prices are crazy and that's keeping a lot of folks from wheelin'. I thought prices would stabilize but after today's jump who knows? I hope it doesn't make too much of a dent in tourism here (lots of people pass through on their way to Yellowstone).

It's great to see you again. You should stick around for a while - many of the "regulars" stop by occasionally but not necessarily every day.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    Karl:

You really, really, really ought to consider the OME lift. Spend a couple hundred bucks more now, and save headaches later, and as a bonus, enjoy a ride that is BETTER than stock.

A couple of my Jeep Buds installed an OME lift on Thelma Jane for me a couple years ago, and man, am I ever thrilled with it!

Skyjackers used to be known for control arm bushings wearing out. Maybe they have that corrected now?

Also, when you are comparing prices on lift kits, be sure that you are taking into consideration what components are included. One lift kit may include shocks and the other kit might not. Same with control arms, transfer case lowering kit, and track bar relocation bracket.

Tom
    Hey Mayor, great to see you! I wish mtngal would check in sometimes.

Yep, cold and wet spring around Boise this year too, but in a couple of weeks, it'll probably be 105. :P
    Hey, Big Steve! Good to hear from you.

I hate to hear about the cold, wet spring. I hope to be up in the Panhandle and over in western MT in a couple weeks, and it would be nice if the mountain passes on the unimproved roads would be open. I would like to do some exploring and picture-taking.

Tom
    Heh, even in hot years, the snow up high tends to hang around until July 4th. May want to pack a shovel. :)
  • jeep_ersjeep_ers Member Posts: 1
    I am new to the forum. Read alot of the posts helpful and entertaining.

I would like to put a OEM '07 Radio/CD/MP3 (part #P05064411AD) into my '97 Sport. What issues/problems am I going to have?

I also would like to get an opinion of the Hankook Dynapro MT RT03. I have BFG ATs now (32x11.5x15) The BFGs seem to 'float' alot on wet roads and wet snow. I live in Minnesota and I don't do much off-road, pretty much a grocery getter-toy.

Maybe someone knows of a tire with off-road looks and on-road performance?