Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Toyota Highlander Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• findmefindme Member Posts: 36
    One dealership in my area was offering zero percent financing while none of the others were. This same dealership had the lowest invoice price too. Unfortunately, when I got into the final number crunch, they were only offering zero percent financing on the MSRP, not the invoice price. It would have cost me over $3000 just to get zero percent financing. Dealerships are using this to entice people to come to them. When Toyota is not giving it across the board to all dealerships, then I'd be a bit concerned and check it out! Perhaps Toyota will be offering this to all. That would be wonderful.. . .
  • miamiboggsmiamiboggs Member Posts: 4
    Superior negotiating skills :)

Most of the Highlanders I've seen in Atlanta don't have the 3rd seat. I believe when you use the "build your own" option on the Toyota dealer site you can choose 3rd row delete as an option.

Honestly I wouldn't mind having the 3rd row seat but in reality it would probably only be used a couple of times a year.
  • techdudetechdude Member Posts: 87
    how did you get them to delete the third row? the dealership by me said that was not optional and standard on all trim levels. I would love to get rid of that since i think third row seating is a gimmick in these types of vehicles. I've only been to one Toyota dealership by me and they seem very cocky regarding their product and not willing to negotiate on anything.
    It looks like a regional thing...i if i configure it using my zip code in ny i don't have that option and if i use atlanta's it shows up as an option....that's just wrong. anyway, that's got to be con for the higlander for me. i'd rather save the money and get rid of that option.
  • kittycat2kittycat2 Member Posts: 9
    I bought my HLL at Longo Toyota in El Monte CA. The salesman (VS) was very nice and pretty honest. I went to other Toyota dealers where they lie about their inventory or about their costs. I would definitely consider buying a car again from them in the future. Hope the info. is helpful.
    I think the Highlander drives more like a car than a truck SUV. I've driven a Nissan Pathfinder and Lexus GX470 both of which felt a bit bigger. The HL isn't as heavy, so it stops much easier (quicker deceleration). It has better turning radius. The acceleration isn't as strong as my big V8 was, but the gas mileage is much better. I was having serious big SUV withdrawals for a couple weeks, but now I love my HL. I think the visibility is much better than in the other crossover SUV's I test drove which was a big plus for me.
  • gobenzingobenzin Member Posts: 2
    As I read through the various posts relating to "New Car Pricing", the one thing that seems to be missing is "Car Buying Education". You have one of the best sources here on this site; namely, "Confessions of a Car Salesman" in the "Tips and Advice" section. Read this and you will be surprised at what transpires. You also will get some excellent advice on buying your car.
  • smith1smith1 Member Posts: 283
    The WSJ article has been corrected -- they took out the part about 0% financing on Highlander.
  • randycleerandyclee Member Posts: 9
    Does anyone know where I can get the best deal on a 2008 Limited Hybrid Highlander in Southern California area? I am ready to buy now, but not sure which dealer has the best selection and price. Help!
    Interesting. I emailed Mr. Welsh, the writer of the article, a few days ago to find out where he got his info for that and he was kind enough to email me back.

http://www.cars.com/go/advice/incentives/incentivesAll.jsp

It does say financing as low as 0%, but i'm glad the correction was made. I have a pretty good credit score...well over 800 and i'm wondering if the finance rate is something i can negotiate. I've given myself about 3 months before I pull the trigger on something, so hopfully prices on the Highlander or Murano become more reasonable.
  • rap4rap4 Member Posts: 1
    Guys, I am looking to buy 2008 Highlander, all wheel,leather with Navigation the MSRP is 39000, How much should I pay for this.
    Also does anyone know the diff between the driving experience of SPORT vs limited.
    Appreciate if you guys can help me with insights. I have a local dealer who has 500 miles on the car, is that common. I do not want to end with a demo car type of situation. The dealer told me this car has moved from 2 dealer location and hence has mileage.Is that common?
  • mtairyordgemtairyordge Member Posts: 144
    What part of the US are you in that you found 0%.
    I've searched most of Orange County and found that Longo Toyota in El Monte had the biggest selection. It is a huge dealership. If you do your homework you can definitely get a decent price here. They beat any other offer I received in person or on line. Vic was an excellent and knowledgeable person to deal with. Come back and post if you end up buying from Longo and how your experience was.
  • smith1smith1 Member Posts: 283
    A lot of dealers will offer finance rates lower than the manufacturer's current rate, however the difference is subsidized by the dealership i.e. it reduces their profit on the sale. Which means they are not likely to offer as low a price on the vehicle as they would if you took the manufacturer rate or arranged your own financing.

The manufacturer subsidized rates change monthly, and with interest rates falling in general and the sluggishness of the economy, it's certainly possible that TFS may offer 0% financing on Highlander in the near future. No guarantees of course.
  • brian62brian62 Member Posts: 31
    I opted for the Limited. I am not sure about the driving difference, but if you are going to get a Sport with Leather, your are at nearly the same price as the Limited and the Limited has additional features not available on the Sport, namely the SMART key. If you don't know about the SMART key, go check it out at the dealer, I will NEVER own another car without it!
    My 2WD Limited with Nav and another 1400 or so in options had MSRP of 37,584, I paid 33,800 + TTL and $369 doc fee. AWD adds about $1500.
  • tiwandatiwanda Member Posts: 1
    Brian can you share your dealership's name? I am hoping to purchase today or tomorrow and I would drive anywhere in SoCal for such a deal. Thanks in advance.
  • jimb08jimb08 Member Posts: 3
    I am looking for the best price on a Highlander LTD FWD with DVD, heated seats, and tow pkg in the San Antonio area. I want to be at $34k or so out the door including taxes (my trade will reduce taxes to about $900). So I guess I really want a price around $32.5k. That is like $4200 off MSRP. Tough deal but may be possible at the right place. Let me know if you have any ideas on which dealership might be the best to approach. I have never paid more than invoice for a vehicle but then again I've never bought a Toyota.

Jim
  • homeskewlinhomeskewlin Member Posts: 3
    Bought a FULLY Loaded Highlander Limited 4X4 from Toyota of Riverside. I paid $800 over invoice. The Toyota Dealer in Moreno Valley was willing to give us a low price too, but Riverside got the truck in the color we wanted first. Ours is not a Hybrid, but the fleet manager said he would give us a better deal on a Hybrid. Go straight to the fleet manager.
  • ocautoseekerocautoseeker Member Posts: 425
    congrats! enjoy your new suv!
    Was the $800 over the dealer invoice or Edmund's invoice? If you don't mind sharing, what was the MSRP and the actual price paid before TTL?
    Thanks for the post. Is there just one fleet manager? What are his/her first and last name initials? Thanks for the info again.
    The $800.00 was over the dealer invoice. The dealers MSRP was $40,967.00. I paid $35,546.27 before TTL.
    I am not sure how many fleet managers each dealership has, but every dealership that I have been to has more than one, and they are always very busy but very willing to take time for you. At Toyota of Riverside we dealt with two different managers on two diff. trips. They were both great. Just go in and as to speak to a fleet manager, do not deal with the sales people. You can ask for the dealer invoice, it shows what they ask for the car and how much they pay for the car and what all the options are. We have always paid $100-$200 over dealer invoice until now. San Bernardino Toyota told us they would Not give us a deal because people were paying MSRP! The Toyota Dealership in Moreno Valley told us over the phone that they Would work with us too.
  • abidjanabidjan Member Posts: 4
    I bought a new highlander ltd,moonroof nav sys., leather heated seats smartkey sys,rear door opener, rear ac, third row seat, vechile shield pkg,xm radio and a couiple of other odds& end for 36259, in bryan, tx. Hope this was a good deal interest rate was 6.84 per cent for 5 years, They trying to sell me the warrenty for 1195 dollars for 7yrs/100,000 miles hope this helps in buying your HH.
  • knocker81knocker81 Member Posts: 44
    sticker price 32,500 agreed price 30,500 dealer said he's waiving destination fee and doc fee, but isn't destination already in the sticker price. Edmund tmv price is 29,991. the only extras I'm paying is tax and registration .(Dealer is a friend of the family or is he)
    2008 awd 3rd row options- SR QM PE DJ CQ TO RL EH PR
    STATEN ISLAND N.Y.
  • neilheeneyneilheeney Member Posts: 5
    My wife brought home her new Hybrid Limited last night. She absolutely loves it. She drove the CX-9, Pilot, MDX, Veracruz, Outlook, Tribecca and gas Highlander before she settled on the Hybrid. She got black with grey leather, navigation, running boards, dual ac and auto rear ac, vehicle shield package and extra mile option package B. MSRP with options was $46,455, she paid $42,664 with all dealer fees. We will pay Oklahoma tax (3.25%) and registration when we get back from spring break in Colorado. Looking forward to a road trip in her new car.
  • miacar07miacar07 Member Posts: 28
    I got a quote for a 2008 Highlander Limted FWD with the following options NAV and JBL Premiun Audio, Rear DVD Entertainment w/SRAT, Moonroof, Rear HVAC, Spoiler, Heated Seats, and Power Rear Door for 36, 495.00. Is this a good deal? Also, what is SRAT and what does it stand for?
  • hk52005hk52005 Member Posts: 23
    I am between these two vehicles.

Options that are important to me are:
    Leather
    Heated Seats
    Power Back Door
    Backup Camera
    Heated Mirrors
    Push Button Start
    Moonroof
    Navigation would be a bonus but not worth extra $$

Anyone have advice? Highlander seems slightly cheaper and slightly bigger. Starting a family and concerned the Murano might prove too small.
  • awbaldwawbaldw Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking for the exact same vehicle ... and that seems to be a good quote. I've received a few all hovering around the 37.3k$ amount. Where are you located?
  • miacar07miacar07 Member Posts: 28
    I live in the South Florida area. By the way what is SRAT when it comes with Rear DVD Entertainment?
  • knocker81knocker81 Member Posts: 44
    looking for body side mouldings for 2008 Hylander (dealer wanted 395.00) .Can anyone help?
  • socalaussiesocalaussie Member Posts: 3
    I am shopping for a loaded limited AWD 2008 Highlander and think I got offered a terrible deal on Friday. Gross cap $43 328, .00325 MF, $14 000 residual value after 60 months, $4000 down, 60 month lease,and $679/month, 12 000 mi /yr. My credit score is 700-720. Negotiated this down to 48 month lease for same monthly payment, with $2300 down and 15 000 mi / yr. Thanks for any opinions. I walked away under heavy pressure from the manager.
  • h2h2h2h2h2h2 Member Posts: 4
    Yes that is a horrible deal. I am BUYING a 200 Limited with Nav and DVD, MSRP $40,365 with zero down for about the same payments. I have leased my last 2 vehicles and wanted to lease again, but the Highlander does NOT lease well at all. I got quotes from 10 different dealerships and all of them were over $600. On several other vehicles I was considering with MSRP's between $39-42K, I got lease quotes of $440-$540, these included Infiniti G35, Lexus RX350, GMC Acadia, and Acura.

The Highlander does NOT lease well. If you are set on leasing you should check out a different vehicle, you should never lease for more than 36-39 months anyways. If you were willing to pay that much monthly, you can purchase it for that much too.
    Thanks so much for the reply. I am set on a Highlander having looked at everything else similar. I was going to lease just because that is what I usually do but will definitely consider buying. Why is it that the lease deals are so bad for Highlanders? Thanks again.
  • qs933qs933 Member Posts: 302
    The Highlander does NOT lease well.

I've read that dealers and Toyota itself are less likely to offer really competitive leases until the Highlander's initial popularity dies down.

In the Nissan Murano pricing thread (there's a discussion comparing the Highlander to the Murano), one individual mentioned a $419/month on a 36 month term lease offer (with $2.5K down).
  • timjakubowskitimjakubowski Member Posts: 1
    We are considering the Acura TL-S, Nissan Murano and the Highlander Sport Edition. I analyze all buying decisions to death and I keep coming up with the Highlander. Compared the Murano the Highlander is much bigger and gets better gas mileage. It also uses regular unleaded while the Murano wants Premium fuel only. It is easy to fall in love with the Murano but when you look at the facts it fails on many fronts compared to Highlander.

Obviously the Acura TL-S is a sedan/car and we already have a Toyota Forerunner Limited 2001 that still runs like a clock, but we need a second car. So I'm thinking why not have two vehicles that have versatility with the Highlander being better on gas than my Forerunner. The TL-S Acura gets 17/26 MPG vs. the Highlander which is at 18/24 MPG. Not a huge difference in MPG.......uh? Good luck with your decision. I would stay with Toyota or Honda as my good Japanese buddy always tells me.
  • ronnronn Member Posts: 398
    Hey There...go to Toyotapartspeople.com They have body side molding for the 2008 Highlander for 120.75.
    If you should get them, please let me know. I am un-decided. I am worried that it will take away from the look of the SUV
    I am the one who mentioned the $419/month lease. I contacted the dealership by me and request to put no money down, increase the mileage to 15k and below is the quote they sent me. Not that much of a deal with no money down. What do you guys think?

2008 Toyota Highlander stock #WTS3915 Black
    Lease Price is based on 15K miles per year with $0 cash down

36 month lease $639.36 per month

48 month lease $632.24 per month

Options as follows;

Model Number: 6956A

Model Description: 4-DOOR 4X4 SUV
    Year ............: 2008
    Interior Color ..: LA40 LA40
    Exterior Color ..: 0202 BLACK
    Body ............: 4-DOOR 4X4 SUV
    Number of Cyl ...: 6

VIN .............: JTEES42A982054163
    Ignition Key.....: 40546

Factory Installed Accessories: FE EJ HD PB QR RF SR TO
    Port Installed Accessories ..: Z2

Retail
    Vehicle Base Model ....................: $ 34150.00
    Total Accessories .....................: $ 3678.00

MECHANICAL & PERFORMANCE
    3.5L 270HP 24-Valve V6 Eng w/Dual VVT-i
    4-Wheel Drive /4- Whl Ind Suspension
    5-Spd Automatic Trans w/Sequential Shift
    Electronic Power Steering System
    4Whl Pwr Ast Vent Fr/Solid Rr Disc Brake
    Hill-Start Assist & Downhill Assist Ctrl
    19" 5-Spoke Alloy Wheels/245/55R19 Tires
    SAFETY
    Star Safety System Includes:
    Enhanced Veh Stability Ctrl w/TRAC
    Anti-Lock Brakes w/Brake Assist & EBD
    Dr & Fr Pass Advanced Front Airbags/
    Driver Knee Airbag / Dr & Fr Pass Seat
    Mounted Side Airbags/3 Row Roll-Sensing
    Side Curtain Airbags/Dr&Fr Pass Active
    Headrests / Daytime Running Lights
    Direct Tire Pressure Monitoring System
    3-Pt Seat Belts - All Seating Positions
    2nd Row CRS Lower/Top Tether Anchors
    EXTERIOR
    Color-Keyed Bumpers/Foldable Pwr Htd
    Mirr/Small Rr Spoiler/Chrome Dr Hdles
    Chrome Frame Slvr Paint Grille/RrLicense
    Garnish/Roof Rails/Blk Rr Step Bumper
    Fog Lamps/In-Glass Ant/Rr Privacy Glass
    Rear Glass Hatch/Auto on/off Headlamps
    Puddle Lamps / Fr Var & Rr Interm Wipers
    COMFORT AND CONVENIENCE
    Fr Dual Zone Auto Climate Ctrl w/Air Fil
    Rr Back-up Camera w/Multi Info Display
    AM/FM/6-Disc In-Dash CD Chgr, Mini Plug
    Pwr Windows/Dr Locks/Cruise Crl/Homelink
    Smart Entry System / Conversation Mirror
    Tilt/Telesc Lthr Strg Whl, Audio/AC Ctrl
    Lthr Int, Pwr 10-way Frt Dr/4-way Pass,
    40/20/40 Splt 2nd Row Seat,w/Fold-Flat,
    Recline, Fore & Aft Slide Adj & Rt-Hand
    Walk-in Function + Center Stow Seat &
    Center Stow Console, Lthr 3rd Row Seat
    W/fold headrests / Fold Flat Into Floor
    1Touch Fold Flat 2nd Row Lvr/Tonneau Cvr
    Wood-Grain-Styld Int Trm/Auto Dim Mirror
    Retail Total
    Vehicle Base Model ..........................:$ 34150.00 $ 34150.00
    50 State Emissions .........................
    JBL AM/FM 6-Disc In Dash CD Changer with ... 630.00
    Hands-Free Phone Capability via Bluetooth ..
    Wireless Technology, Satellite Ready .......
    Capability, (Requires: Subcription to ......
    XM or Sirius, Antenna and Receiver), .......
    MP3/WMA Playback Capability and 9 ..........
    Speakers (including sub woofer) in 7 .......
    locations ..................................
    Multi-Stage Heated Front Seats ............. 440.00
    Power Rear Door ............................ 400.00
    Auto Rear Air Conditioning System .......... 585.00
    w/ Rear Vents for 2nd & 3Rd Row ............
    Color-Keyed Sport-Styled Rear Spoiler ...... 200.00
    with LED Stop Lamp .........................
    Power Tilt/Slide Moonroof w/Sunshade ....... 850.00
    Tow Prep Package includes: 5,000lbs ........ 220.00
    towing capacity, Heavy Duty Radiator .......
    w/Engine Oil Cooler, 200 watt fan ..........
    coupling, Transmission Oil Cooler w/ Water .
    Cooler,150 amp alternator, and Pre-Wire ....
    Harness ....................................
    Preferred Accessory Package ................ 353.00

Total Accessories ...........................: $ 3678.00 $ 3678.00

Total .......................................: $ 38513.00 Internet Price is $ 35,830.00
  • h2h2h2h2h2h2 Member Posts: 4
    Not good IMO. Toyota does offer Lease specials from time to time on the base Highlander, but to my knowledge has never had a lease special on Sport or Limited models. I ended up just purchasing a 2008 Limited with Navigation and DVD system, MSRP $40,385, and the sale price at $36,000 for 72 months at $620 a month. with 0 down.

Its a shame because I like to lease my vehicles. But there is no way im paying $600+ on a lease, when several other $40k vehicles are leasing $150-$200 a month less.
    The Limited lease deal is newly listed in the NY area. It looks like it went up this past week. As you see though, unless you put 2500 down, you're paying over 600 a month. I may just lease a sport or the base model for now. Since this vehicle is primarily for transporting baby and "stuff" around, I may have to forgo the luxury for now. Is it just me or are prices still high for these vehicles?
    My wife and I just bought a new Limited Hybrid Highlander. The price we paid was $42,300 plus tax and fees. We got it from Toyota of Orange. The MSRP was around $45,800. We are very happy with what we got. We have been looking for this SUV for the last three weeks. These are the specs: 0202, Black exterior, LB10, grey interior, FE, 50 state emission, NV, navigation, QC, front dual zone climate control, QR, rear automatic climate control, SR, moon roof, CT, 3rd roll seat. It was very frustrating trying to find this Limited Hybrid Highlander. Finally, we just happened to find a dealer that has the Highlander we wanted. It was all timing. The dealer just happened to received the SUV that day. My wife and I rushed to the dealer and got the car. When we arrived at the dealer, the car wasn't even ready for us to inspect. I must have contacted at least 50 Toyota dealers in the southern California area from Ventura to San Diego. All the dealers either don't have exactly what I wanted, or they wanted full MSRP. During the paper work process, the dealer told us that Toyota only makes 4 of the Limited Hybrid we purchased (the exact specifications) in a month. No wonder it was almost impossible to find this car. But my wife and I love it. It's better than the Lexus RX 400h in every way.
  • blk2blkblk2blk Member Posts: 1
    I have been shopping for an 08 HL Ltd for a little over a month now. I just turned in 05 HL Ldt lease. We have been looking for Blk w/ Nav. The 5 dealers in my area do not want to negotiate. None had any in stock. The said if they had to get one from another dealer (not in our area) I had to pay full MSRP. Finally got one dealer to keep me updated on all HL coming in to the US and request it right off the boat if not already going to them (no extra cost involved). Well car came in yesterday (only Blk w/ Nav in the whole southeast region), we looked at it and liked it. They wanted like 2500 in start ups (895 Acq., 795 dlr fee., 220 ttl., 600 1st pmt.). 48mo/12k yr lease. They said like if doing me a favor that they reduced MSRP by $1500 to make this happen. Insane!! I was a done deal with them. I put $1k deposit to get the vehicle, Let them know from jump what my terms were. They just let me walk right out. Are these HL just too HOT to get a good deal?? I guess I'll just wait, luckily we have another car so no rush.
  • thillajthillaj Member Posts: 2
    The $800 over invoice actual price you paid @Riverside seems low compared to the MSRP. There's a difference of over $5000 between the 2. Are you sure this accurate???

Thanx!!!
    I just came across EZ Source leasing (www.ezsourceleasing.com) and wondered if anyone has any experience with them. They can apparently get you whatever vehicle you want, delivered to your door or local dealer within 72hrs. I called for a quote on a loaded ltd 08 HL and they were offering much better deals than the local dealers around here. Thanks for any input.
  • mj999mj999 Member Posts: 2
    In response to: Re: 08 Highlander Limited vs 09 Nissan Murano? [hk52005] by timjakubowski

I recently purchased a new 2008 FWD Highlander Sport, after looking at the Acura RDX, Honda Pilot/CRV/Accord Coupe EX-L w/Nav. I previously owned an Acura and our second car is an Acura TSX, we love both cars, and didn't want two of the same car, so I was leaning towards the RDX. However, the deal-breaker with Acura was the premium gas with the same/lower gas mileage as the Highlander with comparable features/price.

We were able to purchase the Highlander Sport with leather/heated seats (LP), nav, premium sound (NV), towing (TO), cold weather package (EH), special paint (PC), dual heat controls (QC), moonroof (SR), with the third row delete, for $31,020. Which is $1,000 under invoice.

Very satisfied with dealer, Centennial Toyota LV-NV, as we only dealt with the internet department. Very simple: emailed them, received the quote, walked in, the numbers were the same as quoted, received 4.9% financing, signed, and drove away.

I am getting about 23 MPG, driving mixed city/freeway. We are paying the same in monthly gas for the TSX and Highlander, because the premium gas in the TSX makes up the difference for lower MPG of the Highlander.

One noticeable difference from the Acura is the Toyota "premium" JBL sound system sounds like it has a blown speaker during morning radio (fine with CD's/MPS/songs on radio), but besides that I am extremely happy with the purchase and loving the back-up camera!

Good luck!
  • txgurltxgurl Member Posts: 1
    Got a price for 08 Ltd Highlander, power door, bodyside moudling, JBL w/bluetooth, special color, heated seats, Auto rear air, Carpet Mats, Running boards and Vehicle shield pkg for $34,900. Is this a good price? If not, what would be reasonable?
    How do you find out what the invoice price is?....I would think they can give you whatever price they want as the invoice price to make you feel like you are getting a good deal.
    Can the XM antenna and receiver be put in by the dealer if it's not already installed. This one is "Satellite Ready". I already have an XM subscription, but I want to be able to use the installed radio for the XM and not the portable receiver as I do now.
  • nikki11nikki11 Member Posts: 1
    Is this a good price

Sport Highlander AWD (base no extras)
    Dealer MSRP $31190
    Asking Price $28034 + taxes and fees
    Ohio/Kentucky area
  • brian62brian62 Member Posts: 31
    I paid $33,800 (+369 doc fee) for a 2wd Limited with Nav, power rear door, rear a/c, floor mats, heated seats, and tow prep.

MSRP was 37,584.

Ask them to see the printed invoice. It is not uncommon for them to show you, I have had 2-3 dealers offer it without asking. If they do not offer, say something like I have read on line that these SUV's are selling for invoice pricing, if you can offer that I will purchase. Take a look at post 3140 in this forum, that is similar to what the invoice will look like. Except you will see 2 prices for each line, MRSP and Invoice.

The invoice price listed on Edmunds was very close to the printed one the dealer showed me. The dealers was about $600 more, but that is common because regional advertising is different.
  • velomonkey3velomonkey3 Member Posts: 7
    2008 Highlander Hybrid 4WD with Popular Package , Tonneau Cover, Anti-theft Alarm w/ Engine Immobilizer, Manual Rear Air for 2nd and 3rd row, carpet/cargo mat - 3rd row seating, Cross Bars and Mudguards. Dealer will sell for $35000 plus tax. Denver CO Sound Good or can I get him lower? The state offers $4000 tax credit for this as well.

Thanks is advance.