Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Toyota Highlander Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• leninctleninct Member Posts: 4
    O.K., after having one toyota dealer (who i had bought a camry from a year ago), finally agree to $500 over invoice for a highlander limited, they then proceeded to offer $2000 less for my trade than lexus or mazda had offered a week before when i looked at what they had. The next dealer said i couldn't get the highlander with navigation but no rear dvd in this area (connecticut). The third dealer who advertised that they had a new internet sales department sent me 4 auto responses, an email from the internet sales manager and from a salesman, but never sent me a quote for what i wanted!
    Thanks to this forum i discovered Fitzautomall.com. They list msrp, invoice price and their price. Often, their price, even on highlanders was less than invoice.
    Jim Dotson found 3 in his area outfitted the way i wanted it, gave me a quote over the phone for my trade which he assured me would be honored unless i had lied in my answers (or something showed up on the carfax report that they ordered) and said that the only thing added to the price would be tax, tags and a $55 doc fee. (no advertising or dealer prep fees which around here are always added and can easily add up to $500 or more).
    It was so easy that instead of contacting any other dealership just to deal with a long negotiation i jumped in my car and drove 4 hours on thursday and got exactly what i ordered at exactly the promised price! They understand how to use the internet. They show real prices, not just a stock photo with a vin and an msrp and they made the entire transaction a pleasure (especially compared to the camry purchase a year ago).
    I would absolutely recommend them and i know that i saved at least 3,000 over the one dealer that would quote me and although maybe i could have matched the deal with someone closer (the ct/ny/nj metro area is loaded with toyota dealers), i was happy to reward their correct use of the internet with my business.
  • enxagaenxaga Member Posts: 30
    I was quoted 36,282 for a base model with a 3rd row. It seems to me that they are alittle high what do you think. I'm in SoCal anybody has a really good deal out there? :confuse:
  • achadha1achadha1 Member Posts: 65
    Currently shopping the Highlander Limited in the DC Area. I am looking at pretty much all options on a Limited here they are:

50-STATE EMISSIONS
    AUTO REAR HVAC
    CARPET FLOOR/CARGO MAT SET/3RD ROW MAT (PIO)
    CROSS BARS (PIO)
    HEATED SEATS
    NAVIGATION & JBL PREMIUM AUDIO
    POWER BACK DOOR
    REAR SEAT ENTERTAINMENT
    REAR SPOILER
    SPECIAL COLOR
    SUNROOF

MSRP is $42,539
    my price is $38,181.00

this looks like its still about 1000 over invoice. Do you think I can do alot better then this?

This price does include destination
    The dealer also has a $369 processing fee the two dealers i have dealt with have this, pretty step i think
  • fmayberryfmayberry Member Posts: 33
    Achadha1 - Don't know how far you want to drive or where you are in the DC area. But if you are willing to drive to MD, check out Fitzgerald Toyota in Garithersburg, MD. You can see their inventory and prices online at www.fitzmall.com. They have listed a Limted with MSRP of $42,719 that they are selling for $37,638.

One other point to note is that in MD, the dealer processing fee is capped at $100. So you save a couple of hundred dollars there also. If nothing else, you can use the Fitzgerald's price and MD processing fee to work a bit better deal with you local dealer.
    Anyone know if the grey leather on the limited comes with the same wood grain color then the beige?
  • dirtraven1dirtraven1 Member Posts: 9
    That is MSRP price isn't it for a Base HL? I would try like cars.com or costco (they have car buying) if you are a member. At least you will be given a list of dealers in your area and price.
  • danmohiuddindanmohiuddin Member Posts: 9
    Hi Fellow Highlander Owners, Drivers,

I am looking to buy a 2008 Highlander Limited 4x4 with the following options: power moonroof, JBL premium audio and bluetooth, auto rear HVAC, heated seats, power back door, towing package, and rear spoiler. We are looking for salsa red with beige leather interior.

I have been racking my brain trying to figure out how much to offer the dealership for this car under/over invoice. I consider myself a pretty shrewed negotiator and will treat the buying process as as RFQ, request for quote to multiple dealers in the Chicagoland area. Who ever comes back with the best price wil likely win my business. Any ideas on how much under/over invoice I should offer on the car?

Also, I have been reading online about "true invoice" and what edmunds.com states as invoice. Is there a difference? Please advise.
  • klossfamklossfam Member Posts: 7
    Same exact fake mahogany wood trim on Ash aka Gray or Sand Beige aka Tan - looks better with the tan IMO...but of course some exterior colors determine the interior choices...

The Hybrids all have the lighter fake birch...which looks bad regardless of interior color...
    When i was shopping for my '08 HL Sport, I used all the various car sites for pricing, (Edmunds, Cars.com, carsdirect.com, MSN, Costco.com) the invoice price were pretty much the same. Some of the site has more 'option' invoice price than others which was the only difference I found. $500-$700 over invoice would probably the ballpark I would say to start with. IMO, the '08 HL has been a pretty good seller for Toyota (one of the few cars that they don't offer 0% financing in my area) tells me that are moving them out rather quickly.
  • danmohiuddindanmohiuddin Member Posts: 9
    thanks for the note dirtraven1...yeah, that only makes sense that they are moving units if they are not offering the special finance rate through TFS. So you suggest between $500-$700 over invoice huh? I was hoping to lowball some dealers and see what they say...around invoice, maybe even $250 less than invoice. I figure with holdback they are still making money on the car. And since I will likely insist on a car that is ordered, the dealer will keep almost 100% of the dealer hold back and it won't eat into their carrying cost to have the car sit on their lot for a few weeks since I will take delivery once it arrives...any others thoughts...
  • mark069mark069 Member Posts: 1
    I was disappointed with COSTCO. In the SF Bay Area the COSTCO price was $2,000 off the MSRP which amounted to about $2,000 over INVOICE or about $1,000 more than the Edmunds TMV price for the models I was looking at (Limited and Fully Loaded Sport).

I was able to find a dealer who was willing to match the Edmunds TMV price for a fully loaded Sport model so I am getting that one.
  • omegadirectiveomegadirective Member Posts: 12
    I am trolling dealers by email for a quote on '08 Highlander , Sport, 4x4, with leather and navigation. Most vehicles they have quoted are packaged with other options I don't really need, e.g. sunroof, tow package. In any case, I am being quoted an average price around $35,500 which is quite higher than Edmunds' TMV of about $34,800 and invoice of $33,545. I am hoping to lease rather than finance and my questions is:

a) What kind of lease terms would be considered for a highlander in this price range?
    b) Should I haggle with the dealers about the price first, and then work out the lease, or just try and get lease terms that are acceptable to me. I am new to leasing and am unfamiliar with its nuances.
  • ocautoseekerocautoseeker Member Posts: 425
    Also, I have been reading online about "true invoice" and what edmunds.com states as invoice. Is there a difference? Please advise.

The factory invoice for a Highlander will comprise of the following (in addition to all options):

- Destination Charge
    - Holdback (2% of base msrp)
    - Wholesale Financial Reserve (1% of base msrp)
    - Gasoline ($10)
    - TDA (regional advertsing fee)

I'd say $500 over dealer factory invoice on a limited 4x4 is an agressive selling price.

You mentioned that you may have to order one - I'd talk to a dealer first and make sure that a build order per your specs will be accepted by Toyota first. No sense in negotiating for a vehicle that does not exist.

Good Luck!
    Someone mentioned it before and I'll concur - the Highlander does not lease well (right now). Actually, I don't want to say it doesn't lease well per se as everyone holds value in a different light. In my opinion though, I'll just say that lease deals on Highlander's currently are fair at best.

Depsite better money factors as of recently, the residuals are not strong and TFS does not currently subsidize both the mf and residual. April is the first month we have seen any incentives on Limiteds, but not in all regions.

An approximation as I don't have a VIN and therefore I don't have an exact residual, but I'd say on that vehicle you listed, you'd probably be in the $550-$600/mo. range on a 36mo/12k lease.
    That is a disappointing Costco price. I would think that Costco would have a more consistant price point, but apparently not. Here in the NYC area, Costco was $700 over the invoice, but I worked in a few accessories which bought the price down a bit more. I was looking for a very specifc spec'd Sports model. So hard to find a Sport without a Sunroof for example.
    Lowballing doesn't hurt within reason, worst thing they will say is no deal. Right? But at least you have some numbers to work with and not get taken. Dealers can ALWAYS scan other dealer's inventory within a reasonable distant and find one that may meet your specs without a BTO. My dealer did a 100 mile search (they can show you on their system other dealer's inventory) because I wanted a gray interior.
  • robinb1robinb1 Member Posts: 2
    Glad I found this site, it was helpful in knowing where to start with negotiating the price on our new Hybrid. I looked at the Costco price (1500-2000 over invoice, not the best deal by far). Ultimately used the shopping around and getting email bids to negotiate our price. Hybrid Limited with leather interior, anti-theft, sunroof, dual air, rear auto air, JBL with bluetooth, (all this is 'package A'), the fancy tailpipe. No navigation system--we wanted to get our own because we hope to own the vehicle for a while and believe the nav systems will continue to evolve. Just under 41,000 plus tax, license,and title. Did not opt for any of the last minute add ons from the financial person: 7 year warranty or dealer service for oil changes and checkups.

Hope this helps others shopping. The best offer I got was for a lavender (okay amethyst) car with the same options for 250 under invoice.

Does anyone happen to know if it is required to buy the 7 year extended warranty from a WA dealer (state requirement?) or can I shop it around?
    I cant remember this if i purchase a vehicle in MD but reside in VA do I pay the MD or sales tax. I thought it would be VA since i live there.

Can you someone concur?
  • fmayberryfmayberry Member Posts: 33
    achadha1 - How it is handled will depend on the dealer setup. Most MD dealers in the DC area can process VA title and tags and pay VA taxes for you. If you get a bit further out, the dealer may not be set up to do this for you. In that case, you will get a MD temporary tag and pay nothing regarding tax, title, license (other than for the temporary tag). You will then go to the VA DMV where you will pay tax, title, and tags yourself. You will need you sales paperwork so DMV can calculate the tax due.
    You can buy your extended warranty from ANY Toyota dealer. I bought my HL in NY and bought my 7/75 $0 Ded. extended warranty from a dealer in MO for $580. My dealer offer me the great price of MSRP ($1395).
    Just purchased a Blizzard Pearl limited with the below options. Paid 37861 plus taxes tags and 369 processing MSRP was 42,539. How did I do?

50-STATE EMISSIONS
    AUTO REAR HVAC
    CARPET FLOOR/CARGO MAT SET/3RD ROW MAT (PIO)
    CROSS BARS (PIO)
    HEATED SEATS
    NAVIGATION & JBL PREMIUM AUDIO
    POWER BACK DOOR
    REAR SEAT ENTERTAINMENT
    REAR SPOILER
    SPECIAL COLOR
    SUNROOF
    TOW PACKAGE
  • jcampodjcampod Member Posts: 15
    I'm looking to buy that same vehicle (but in red) in the DC area and that seems to be a pretty good price. I am wondering if it beats the fitzmall price mentioned earlier. I was quoted $469 below invoice for a Highlander limited with nav. Where did you purchase it?
    I purchased at Chantilly Oursman toyota Fitzmall is pretty far for me but i basically got invoice for my car fitz looks like its 300-400 under invoice...
  • tjuliantjulian Member Posts: 3
    I looking in the Cleveland, Ohio area for a Highlander Limtied with Nav., and a MSRP of $39,995. Can anyone give me an idea on what pricing I can expect?

Thanks!
  • svofan2svofan2 Member Posts: 442
    I have not seen any expiriences for prices in Northern NJ for Highlander Limited with Nav and DVD (don't care for the nav but the DVD is important with the kids,and both are part of a package C).
    Any thoughts will be appreciated...thanks
  • tjuliantjulian Member Posts: 3
    I agreed to buy buy a Highlander Limited today from Brunswick Automart a suburb of Cleveland. It is a 4wd Limited with package "C".

MSRP is $40,270, and I'm paying 36,900 or 11.2% off sticker, $250 processing fee, and $35.00 registration. They also offered a fair price on my trade.

They are locating the color Salsa Red my wife wants, and we will pick it up this weekend.

They have made the transaction easy so far.
  • robinb1robinb1 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks dirtraven1. Would you mind sharing the name of the MO dealer? I've been trying to get hold of people at a Toyota dealership called MidWest Superstore in KS but no luck so far.

I think my dealership gave me the great(er) price of 1500 and dropped it down to 1200 when I declined (which I also declined!).
  • the_b_manthe_b_man Member Posts: 4
    I have found this forum very helpful so I hope my experience helps:

Highlander Base with options for an MSRP of $31,500
    36 month
    12 k mileage / year
    GAP insurance

Purchased in PA but title, tax for NJ (do not buy in NJ they will not deal, I saved over $800 plus I got more options-- I was told in NJ you can't get a base model with a power driver seat--- simply not true!!!)

$200 down, $398 / month.

I'm pretty sure this is an amazing deal. I don't think I could have done any better. They "lost" money on this.

I contacted dealers in 4 different states to get this deal. The dealerships on the mainline outside of philadelphia were the best.

Good Luck!
  • shovelhdshovelhd Member Posts: 6
    We just picked up a 2008 Highlander Hybrid from Boch Toyota, Norwood, MA. It is a base model with a few options. MSRP $38,668, paid $34,832 plus TTL. $400 over invoice. The place is a zoo but it was worth the trip from Western MA where nobody is budging off MSRP and nobody has one in stock, anyway.
  • gwnorthgwnorth Member Posts: 6
    Just got some numbers back on an 08 Highlander Limited in Blizzard Pearl and trying to get a feel for what you all think.

Here are the details (these are all invoice prices they faxed me):
    Base - 34,446
    50 State Emissions - 0
    JBL Audio - 473
    Spec Color - 176
    Anti Theft - 176
    Front Dual Zone A/C - 300
    Auto Rear A/C - 628
    Moonroof - 680
    Mudguards - 60
    Carpet/Cargo Mat - 180
    Dest - 685
    TDA? - 560
    Gasoline - 10
    Dealer Holdback - 799
    Whsl Financial Res - 399
    Total Inv - 39682
    Quoted $500 over - $40,182 or $42,518 all in with ME state sales tax

Thanks for any input...M
  • iftequariftequar Member Posts: 12
    Purchased a Highlander Limited 08, in North chicago area, the sticker price was 42,029, settled for 37.3K plus doc prep title.
  • svofan2svofan2 Member Posts: 442
    Well we finally bought the Sport Highlander.....and it went as follows..
    sticker $36945....inv...$32942 sold for INV. plus $750..$33692..
    options are:
    cold weather package,homelink,leather seat package,antitheft alarm,front dual climate control,auto rear a/c,power tilt moon roof,tow prep packagecarpet/cargo 3 row seating,wheel locks,cross bars...
    All things considered I think that we did well....
    Prestige Toyota was fabulous in the treatment and courtesy..thet made it an easy expirience...I will gie them a 10 for sales expirience..
  • enxagaenxaga Member Posts: 30
    what is the best deal in SoCal? please post info
  • moosehogmoosehog Member Posts: 5
    Bought an 08 gas highlander yesterday in Norcal. $500 over invoice and gave fair value for trade in. Sport with leather, AWD and Nav. White/grey. Great SUV.

Total of $34,900 plus tax and DMV fees.

Good deal?
  • hhahha Member Posts: 8
    Thanks everyone for sharing the purchase information. Just bought a 2008 Highlander 2WD Limited in Houston.
    MSRP: $41,342. Invoice: $36,973. Paid $35,900+ $2326 (sale+inv tax) + $182 (Title+License). $38,408 OTD. No trade in.
    Have following options:
    Power Tilt/Slide Moonroof W/Sunshade $850
    Multi-Stage Heated Front Seats $440
    Navigation System With
    • Voice-Activation And JBL Am/Fm 4-Disc In Dash Cd Changer With Hands-Free Phone Capability Via Bluetooth Wireless Technology
    • Satellite Ready Capability
    • (Requires: Subscription To Xm Or Sirius
    • Antenna And Receiver) Mp3/Wma Playback Capability And 9 Speakers (Including Sub Woofer) In 7 Locations $2,505
    Power Rear Door $400
    Auto Rear Air Conditioning System
    • W/ Rear Vents For 2nd And 3rd Row $585
    Permavin $199
    Xm Satellite Radio Receiver Kit
    • Includes:
    • 6 Months Complimentary Xm Service $449
    Running Board $649
    Vehicle Shield Package
    • Lusterizing Sealant
    • Sound Shield
    • Sealant Cleaner
    • Rental Car Assistance $349
    The Extra Mile Option Package D
    • Custom Tape Stripe
    • Bodyside Molding
    • Cargo Net
    • First Aid Kit
    • Mud Guards
    • Carpet Mat Set
    • Door Edge Guards
    • Wheel Locks
    • Glass Break Sensor
    • Carpet Mats - Three Piece Set
    • Rear Mat
    • Third Row Mat
    • Road Hazard Tire Warranty
    • (3 Years / 36,000 Miles)
    • Roadside Assistance (3 Yrs/36,000 Miles)
    • Extra Mile Service Rewards Program
    • (5 Years / 60,000 Miles) $1,476

Hope this helps.
  • mdhuttonmdhutton Member Posts: 195
    RUN, don't walk - away from this deal. Here are some problems I see without even getting in too deep:

1) Their "total inv" doesn't even add up correctly. It is $110 too high.
    2) TDA? for $560 ???? This is probably something like "Toyota Dealer Adjustment," and would more accurately be labeled "dealer greed." Don't pay it.
    3) They're charging you for gas ???? That alone should land them in jail.
    4) Dealer holdback ($799) and Whsl Financial Res ($399) should be DEDUCTED from the invoice, not added to it. That's a $2398 swing the other way right there.
    5) They should also be $500 UNDER invoice, not over.

Your offer on this vehicle should be $36,674 plus tax, title and license and not a penny more. If they don't like it, RUN !!

BTW, ask the dealer what he was going to do with the $3508 he was going to over-charge you....betcha his golf club membership is due this month...
    I've covered and clarified this topic a few times and don't really feel like repeating myself, so I attached a link to one of my posts in the Tundra threads that explains those "fees" in great detail. Click on the link below and read first, then come back and examine the sample invoice I posted. This will hopefully bring some clarity to this issue. Keep in mind, the link will take you to one of my posts in which I was responding to another member's question - not everything in that post will apply, but you'll be able to read through the lines and take the 411 that pertains to this deal.

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ef27e80/521

18186 VEHICLE INQUIRY REPORT DATE: 05/11/08
    DCV920 TIME: 07:57
    Model Number: 6956A SERIAL # :82054202 Check Code: 4

Model Description: 4-DOOR 4X4 SUV Category ..........: G
    Year ............: 2008 Current Dealer ....: xxx-xxxxx
    Interior Color ..: LA10 LA10 Wholesale Dealer ..:
    Exterior Color ..: 06T7 CYPRE Previous Dealer ...:
    Body ............: 4-DOOR 4X4 SUV Invoice Date ......: 01/10/08
    Number of Cyl ...: 6 Ship Date .........:
    Allocation Number: 122 Retail Date .......:
    Engine Number ...: A349317 Date of First Use .:
    Vessel Number ...: 387 TRAC ..............: NO
    Vessel Name .....: PYXS LDRV027 Damage ............: NO DAMAGE
    PDI ...............: NO
    Fleet .............: NON-FLEET
    Port PDS Complete .: NO

VIN .............: JTEES42A4xxxxxxxx
    Ignition Key.....:

Factory Installed Accessories: FE HD NV PB QR RF SR TO
    Port Installed Accessories ..: CT

Retail Dealer
    Vehicle Base Model ....................: $ 34150.00 $ 29369.00
    Total Accessories .....................: $ 5475.00 $ 4435.00

MECHANICAL & PERFORMANCE
    3.5L 270HP 24-Valve V6 Eng w/Dual VVT-i
    4-Wheel Drive/4-Whl Ind Suspension
    5-Spd Automatic Trans w/Sequential Shift
    Electronic Power Steering System
    4Whl Pwr Ast Vent Fr/Solid Rr Disc Brake
    Hill-Start Assist & Downhill Assist Ctrl
    19" 5-Spoke Alloy Wheels/245/55R19 Tires
    SAFETY
    Star Safety System Includes:
    Enhanced Veh Stability Ctrl w/TRAC
    Anti-Lock Brakes w/Brake Assist & EBD
    Dr & Fr Pass Advanced Front Airbags/
    Driver Knee Airbag / Dr & Fr Pass Seat
    Mounted Side Airbags/3 Row Roll-Sensing
    Side Curtain Airbags/Dr&Fr Pass Active
    Headrests / Daytime Running Lights
    Direct Tire Pressure Monitoring System
    3-Pt Seat Belts - All Seating Positions
    2nd Row CRS Lower/Top Tether Anchors
    EXTERIOR
    Color-Keyed Bumpers/Foldable Pwr Htd
    Mirr/Small Rr Spoiler/Chrome Dr Hdles
    Chrome Frame Slvr Paint Grille/RrLicense
    Garnish/Roof Rails/Blk Rr Step Bumper
    Fog Lamps/In-Glass Ant/Rr Privacy Glass
    Rear Glass Hatch/Auto on/off Headlamps
    Puddle Lamps / Fr Var & Rr Interm Wipers
    COMFORT AND CONVENIENCE
    Fr Dual Zone Auto Climate Ctrl w/Air Fil
    Rr Back-up Camera w/Multi Info Display
    AM/FM/6-Disc In-Dash CD Chgr, Mini Plug
    Pwr Windows/Dr Locks/Cruise Crl/Homelink
    Smart Entry System / Conversation Mirror
    Tilt/Telesc Lthr Strg Whl, Audio/AC Ctrl
    Lthr Int, Pwr 10-way Frt Dr/4-way Pass,
    40/20/40 Splt 2nd Row Seat,w/Fold-Flat,
    Recline, Fore & Aft Slide Adj & Rt-Hand
    Walk-in Function + Center Stow Seat &
    Center Stow Console, Lthr 3rd Row Seat
    W/fold headrests / Fold Flat Into Floor
    1Touch Fold Flat 2nd Row Lvr/Tonneau Cvr
    Wood-Grain-Styld Int Trm/Auto Dim Mirror
    Retail Dealer Total
    Vehicle Base Model ..........................:$ 34150.00 $ 29369.00 $ 34150.00
    50 State Emissions .........................
    Multi-Stage Heated Front Seats ............. 440.00 352.00
    Navigation System with ..................... 2505.00 2099.00
    Voice-Activation and JBL AM/FM 4-Disc ......
    In Dash CD Changer with Hands-Free .........
    Phone Capability via Bluetooth Wireless ....
    Technology, Satellite Ready Capability, ....
    (Requires: Subscription to XM or Sirius, ...
    Antenna and Receiver) MP3/WMA Playback .....
    Capability and 9 Speakers (including .......
    sub woofer) in 7 locations .................
    Power Rear Door ............................ 400.00 320.00
    Auto Rear Air Conditioning System .......... 585.00 468.00
    w/ Rear Vents for 2nd & 3Rd Row ............
    Color-Keyed Sport-Styled Rear Spoiler ...... 200.00 160.00
    with LED Stop Lamp .........................
    Power Tilt/Slide Moonroof w/Sunshade ....... 850.00 680.00
    Tow Prep Package includes: 5,000lbs ........ 220.00 176.00
    towing capacity, Heavy Duty Radiator .......
    w/Engine Oil Cooler, 200 watt fan ..........
    coupling, Transmission Oil Cooler w/ Water .
    Cooler,150 amp alternator, and Pre-Wire ....
    Harness ....................................
    Carpet/Cargo Mat - 3 Row Seating ........... 275.00 180.00
    --------- --------- ---------
    Total Accessories ...........................: $ 5475.00 $ 4435.00 $ 5475.00
    Destination Charge ..........................: $ 685.00 $ 685.00
    TDA .........................................: $ 587.00
    Gasoline ....................................: $ 10.00
    Dealer Holdback .............................: $ 683.00
    Whsl. Financial Reserve .....................: $ 341.00
    --------- ---------
    Total .......................................: Invoice: $ 36110.00 MSRP: $ 40310.00
    Thanks for all the info and my wife and I picked up last Wednesday and got 28.8 MPG on the first tank. I was fairly militant about the Econ mode etc but even with my wife driving 75% of the time and not paying as close attention we are pleased with the vehicle.

I read the posts you mentioned so I thought I had a pretty good idea what to pay but just wanted to throw it out there.

Thanks.....
  • h_dang78h_dang78 Member Posts: 9
    Hello.
    I am looking to purchase a 2008 sport with leather all 3 rows in Houston. Could you help me out by email me the name of the dealer or any info that can me negociate

Regards,
  • 2002champs2002champs Member Posts: 11
    Okay...I found this forum to be a great help in my search for Hybrid Limited in Southern California, so I will share the process I went through before I bought mine 2 weeks ago.

(1) Firmly establish what Options you want and familiarize yourself with the Options Packages offered on "BuyaToyota.com". Configure your preferred choice on that site and you have your MSRP range. Also decide if you must have a certain color, certain features, etc.

(2) Use Edmonds, Intellichoice and other sites to educate yourself on what Invoice should be. I found them to be very close to accurate, but as others have posted, the "TDA" varies and is not listed on these sites.

(3) I used Costco's Auto Buying program as a starting point. If you don't belong to Costco, use AAA although one dealer told me AAA runs about $300 more per vehicle so it is better to sign-up with Costco. Now comes the hard part.

(4) If you have a very specific model you are looking for (color, options, etc), try to locate it at a local dealer's website inventory. Search for dealers through "Buyatoyota" and then keep expanding your list. I kid you not, I searched over 50 Toyota dealers from San Diego to Ventura and out to the Desert and found only 3 of the specific model I wanted (about 20 or so sites have no new inventory listed and I ruled them out). Very few of the dealers had the options listed in their inventory, just the MSRP, but because I knew about what my model should cost, I could pretty well guess which models matched mine. I did click on the inquiries and made contact with about 10 dealers via e-mail. I made sure none had my phone number to hassle me.

(5) Once I found the dealers who had my vehicle, I called up Costco and asked them if these dealers participate in their program. One did not, one did but did not include the Hybrid version in the program, but the one furthest away in the desert said they did. Initially I was referred by Costco to Power in Irvine, but I wanted nothing to do with Power given their [non-permissible content removed] reputation. Then I was referred to Tustin Toyota, but they did not have the model I wanted and thus did not have the invoice to show me. So I finally figured out it is better to locate the car first, then have Costco refer you to the dealer who has your vehicle onsite.

(6) With the Costco program, I got quotes of from $1000 to $1800 over invoice for the Hybrid, with the Limited on the high end. Costco confirmed dealers can exclude "limiteds" from their program if they do not have much inventory. At the end of the day, figuring I was very particular in what I wanted and there were only 3 listed in all of SoCal, I agreed to pay $1K over the dealer's invoice, which they showed me. The TDA was $400, which was below 1% of the invoice and appeared legitimate.

Some observations:

* If you are flexible on options and color, there seem to be a lot of Hybrids on the lots. You might be able to drive a better bargain than me, especially if you are willing to take the Blue color. Too feminine for me. I would have taken Black, but my wife insisted it would get too dirty and she would have considered White but I had the same concern and Toyota charges $200 more for white.

* The worst dealer I encountered was Hollywood Toyota, who insisted MSRP was the price every dealer was getting and tried to tell me that his "dealer locator" inventory showed only 12 Hybrid Limiteds in all of LA. B.S.

* I would recommend checking Longo in El Monte and Wondries in Alhambra if you want the fully loaded models. They seemed to have the most.

* I found Carson's fleet department as well as West Covina, RSM and Carlsbad to be the most responsive and interested in giving prices over the internet. Those that asked me to call I did not deal with.

* I cannot emphasize enough how important buying at the end of the month is. My deal was only good if I took delivery April 30th, so I did. I tried to contact most dealers on the Sunday before monthend when they had their last chance to move cars off the lot. If you can wait until June 30th, probably even better although you do run the risk of not getting the model you want. A few dealers said they were not getting anymore 2008 HH Limiteds and it would be October before the 2009 comes out with a 2% increase.

*For those outside of LA, if dealers are willing to do $1K over invoice here with the housing market a mess, then they should elsewhere. Fitzmall.com in MD shows them around $500 over invoice. And the end of the year for the 2008 model is approaching. Hold out for that $500-$1K range...try an e-mail blast to your local dealers and who knows you might get a taker.

Good luck with your search.

And it has been only 2 weeks, but I absolutely love with new Highlander Hybrid Limited!
  • mtairyordgemtairyordge Member Posts: 144
    So what DID you wind up paying?
    $40,182 + tax
    I bought from Champion Toyota on Gulf freeway. They're courteous and fairly professional.
    What I did was picking the car with the exact options I wanted from carmax.com
    and fitzmall.com. I printed hard copies of the internet prices of these two sites out and gave it to the sale manager at Champion Toyota. Initially they did not believe the internet prices from these two sites. They gave me all kind of stories how the price may not be true. I encourage them to call the phone number on these two sites to confirm the price; not sure if they did.
    I told them that if they can beat the lowest price of these two sites by at least $500, I will buy the car from them; and they finally did.
    After a few hours of haggling, I ended up paying $1,073 below the dealer invoice price.
    Also when you make an offer, make sure it's the offer+TTL, no other funny fees.
    Hope this helps. The Highlander is a wonderful SUV.
    Let me know if you need anything else.
    Good luck.
  • h_dang78h_dang78 Member Posts: 9
    Here is what i got from Mike calvert
    Base Inv 25757
    Fact Opt 1088
    Port Opt 2259
    Delivery 740

TMF 875
    2% hold 599
    PIO Hold 204
    1%finance 299

Total DLR $31821.55

What is your dealer invoice includes beside the actual cost of the car?
  • luvavacationluvavacation Member Posts: 1
    Just bought my 1st Highlander Hybrid last week. I live in the Chicago area, and before purchasing I read a bit here and noticed people were paying below sticker for their hybrids. After 3 years of researching new cars, and deciding on this Hybrid 6 months ago, we figured we were prepared and comfortable with the price we came up with for the Limited Hybrid that we wanted. Well, no one in our western Chicago area would allow us to pay less than sticker! One dealership we even charging over sticker for Highlander Hybrid Limited because he could not keep them in stock and said he would sell to the next customer, no worries for him!
    We figured with the economy being slow, we would have no problem finding what we wanted at the price we wanted. Here in Chicagoland, we did not find this to be the case.
    We did end up driving further west just for the heck of it, and there was a Toyota dealership in Dekalb that was great, no high pressure, nice salesperson, never had the sales manager come over for the hard sell, and they did take a couple of hundred off of the Highlander Hybrid they found for us because it had a couple of extras that we did not desire. We ended up with a Highlander Hybrid, with everything but DVD and Navigation, for $43, 170. Also saved over $600 in taxes because the tax rate was less in Dekalb. Yippee for that!
    Just thought that if there was anyone looking in the Chicago area, don't be surprised if the salespeople laugh at your offer below sticker. Go try Dekalb - sure its a drive, but even if you pay sticker, you are saving taxes (unless you live in the city of Chicago, I think you have to pay those taxes no matter where you buy - so sorry about that).
    And I must say, though this has been a huge adjustment after driving my '97 AWD Chevy Astro for 11 years, I do like it, especially since my mpg is almost 3 times what my Astro was!
  • dafredstahdafredstah Member Posts: 8
    Curious...what would be the ballpark price for GAP insurnance on the Highlander?
    Not quite sure what you mean. The dealer invoice is $36,973, and that includes all the options I have mentioned earlier (factory option, port options).
    Dealer cost is typically around $200, so I'd use that as a starting point. Most CU's charge between $300-$400 for GAP, and that would be a good ballpark range to purchase at.

If they come at you for $600-$700, they're trying to hit you at full retail.

Negoatiate for GAP, just like you would negotiate for your vehicle, now that you know the approx cost.
  • dafredstahdafredstah Member Posts: 8
    thank you for replying and sharing the estimate. i ended up @ $400. i wish i was more aggressive and got it closer to $200. Thanks again!
  • marshalljaymarshalljay Member Posts: 9
    Well - I've been dealing with Deery Toyota here in Waterloo, Ia for the last 6 years. Bought my Tundra and my 06 HH from them - great deals, prices, and service both times. But now it seems they've farmed out to some telemarketer - two months ago I started receiving "Offers" from the dealership, showing what I'd have to pay, with my trade-in, with them basing trade-in value on what they saw at the last dealer service.

In the last "offer", they offered my an 08 HH for 11k plus my 06 (with 60k miles.) Seemed too good to be true, but called them up anyway - after all, a phone call is free.

Well - first, the dealership had NO HHs in stock. Second, the price offered was for a base model, no options, at the msrp of 33k. Fine with me - that's all the options I need; turns out though, that Toyota is not building or importing ANY HHs with that feature set. But they COULD fix me up with one for 38,5 - which of course, would bring my trade-in price due up over 16k.

I'm still driving my 2006; its still fine, still getting 28+ mpg; and they just sent me another offer for the same vehicle that they don't have and can't get. ;-)