Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Toyota Highlander Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• ottilieottilie Member Posts: 5
    I'm also in NorCal, and that sound decent to me for a sport. We're hoping to pay about 26 for a base AWD.

What dealer is this quote from?
  • stonerenstoneren Member Posts: 6
    Invoice Price here means the price you get from Edmends (Invoice of National Base Price+Invoice of Options), or the invoice price you get from dealership?
  • ggmengggmeng Member Posts: 3
    First time post here and need your opinion:
    Just got a quote from one local dealer as subject.
    It's basic model. Is this a fair or good deal?
    Any input is appreciated.
    Thanks!!
  • h_dang78h_dang78 Member Posts: 9
    Toyota September sales are down 30% and highlander sale went from 8XXX last year to 5XXXX. So i think this time we need to bargain real hard. Don't let the dealer say anything else...sale of highlander is just a little more than 4 runner.
  • ottilieottilie Member Posts: 5
    I just bought an '08 base AWD (the dealer had a few 2009s on the lot)

Manual rear AC
    tow prep
    cold package
    blizzard pearl paint
    daytime running lights
    roof rack, etc.

Sticker $31,230
    Price paid $26,412
    Out the door (TTL) was $28,900
    This was with very minimal negotiation. I'm guessing they could have been pressed lower, but I hate this type of haggling. I'm happy to answer any questions.
  • ggmengggmeng Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for your reply, dang78.
    Yes, I will try to bargain today. But first of all I have to persuade my wife. She want to buy a CRV instead. :(
    Have a good weekend.
  • eazyc10eazyc10 Member Posts: 8
    I got a quote for $34200 for an 08 Highlander Limited AWD w/ Navi, heated seats, Auto HVAC, moonroof, power rear door and tow prep.

Is this a good deal or do you think i could get lower?
  • mdhuttonmdhutton Member Posts: 195
    It's about 2K less than similarly-equipped HLs were going for in Chicago 4 months ago, so you've done well.
  • mailman13mailman13 Member Posts: 9
    Yes, we have 0% interest for 60 months or $2500 cash back here below Atlanta. The Toyota sales manager lives across the street from me and he kept saying that the Highlander will NEVER have %0 for 60.

I know that there won't be any deals on the Venza which is what I would like to have, so I guess that we will go shopping for the Highlander Sport.

Thanks for all the great info here.
  • boston26boston26 Member Posts: 13
    Are there any cash back or 0% deals for Highlander Hybrid that any of you have come across?
  • tambaydrivertambaydriver Member Posts: 26
    With SE Toyota having such a big hold on distr in the SE US, any October buying experience in FL or SE US on 08s. Need to pull the trigger by mid month and have it down to Highlander, CX9, & Pilot with Borrego as fall back (if all else fails then I have to move to the minivans). 1 thing I was told at Nissan (currently in a Pathfinder), Honda does not have the hood bracket that prevents hood from crashing into the windshield in a front inpact crash; any one have experience with this supposed lack of safety feature?

Thanks
  • cardentcardent Member Posts: 5
    hi all, this is a great forum whats going rate for 08 AWD highlander limited with nav, heated front seats
  • car4us4car4us4 Member Posts: 7
    I got a quote at Dealer Invoice a couple of weeks ago on a Hybrid Limited, but they might be a bit lower now. Ask to see their invoice and don't let them put the extras on the vehicle (undercoating and sealant). That's where they make their $. Also, since you aren't looking at a Hybrid, then there are other incentives like cash back or 0% financing.
  • cardentcardent Member Posts: 5
    Thanx for the info. I am going to see the dealer on saturday. How much under invoicing/over invoicing can i expect to get out of them.
  • jh691jh691 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, just to add to the discussion:

Just bought 2008 AWD Highlander:
    power seat, cold weather package, daytime r. lights, roof rack, not much else

MSRP ~30.5K
    Rebate here is $1500
    Bought for 26K with a little haggling, but not that much.
    Supposedly (and confirmed by consumer reports) that price was essentially "at invoice"
  • beechboybeechboy Member Posts: 5
    I am looking at some FWD Base Highlanders in the Boston area. I have been able to get a pre-TTL (and $300 doc fee) price of about $23,000ish (+/- $200). Not looking for any frills here. The ones I've looked at have the basics: convenience & cold weather packages, daytime lights, mudguards, floor mats, engine immobilizer, roof rail crossbars, etc.

Does this seem pretty good? Worth going for more? There are a lot of Highlanders on the lots it seems.

Thanks.
  • ocreativeocreative Member Posts: 9
    It seems you are more than $2000 less than the invoice. Which dealership are you working with? Does thia price come with 0% financing? I got a quote as $28900 for a sport model with $35200 msrp, and they would add $1500 if I do 0% finacing.
    I got it from Boch. It does not include 0% financing. My understanding is that you must take the $1500 rebate or the 0% (36 months). So you are getting Sport model for 27200 and 0%? That seems like a pretty good deal depending on the add-ons. Where is this?
    It seems we are working with the same dealership. Their exact number is $28965 for a $35383 MSRP sport without 0% apr, so adding $1500, the price would be $30465, which is not very attractive anymore.Do you think so?
    It's important to know that their "Dealer Cost" does not include the destination charge of $745. So your invoice is about $31,772. Subtract the $1500 rebate and you're at $30,272. Thus, $30465 does not appear to be very competitive. My experience is that they will go at least $2000 below invoice (and probably more). Thus, you have plenty of room to still negotiate.
    Thank you for the information beechboy. $2000 below their invoice plus 0% apr financing would be nice to me. So, keep negotiating.
  • mherr05mherr05 Member Posts: 14
    We just bought a certified used 08 Blizz Pearl FWD HL Sport with 12,000 miles on for $27,000 even. All we had to pay was tax which was around $2k. Car was already registered and in CA the registration stays with car so dont have to pay it until next year. Car was a dealer rental and in great condition. Came with sun roof, roof rack, jbl sound package w/ bluetooth, XM prewire, all floor mats, rear ac. I think this was a good deal seeing that KBB says it should retail for more like $29k. Tell me what you think?

Now if I could just figure out what is needed to get the XM working(besides a subscription). There seems to be some confusion on this and I cant find the answer. Do I need to purchase a receiver or is it already in the car since the JBL package says pre-wired w/ antenna. ????
    It seems sport model does not come with bluetooth in New England area. I have checked a few dealers, and I did not find any one with that.
    I do not know if your price is fair, but a AWD 08 sport is selling as less than $31,000.
    so AWD Sport in your area is or isn't selling for as low as $31K???
    Sorry, I have corrected my typo. A dealer quotes me as $30.5k, which is only about $1200 below their invoice price. It seems we can get it as low as 29.5k with 0% financing, but I have not got that luck yet.
    Ok, I understand now.

I could not get a price lower than $31k in my area on a new one and that was even with a 3rd row seat delete, which we didnt want. Ours has the 3rd row. Our payments would still have been more on a new one paying the 4.9% for 60 months on $29k. Thats even if we could have gotten that. I found that here in CA no dealer was willing to match the TMV pricing. And I searched all dealers within 100 miles of me.

We originally offered $26,500 on this used one, and they acted like they were going to fall off their seats. Typical I know. I sorta wish we would have negotiated a little more, but $27k was our max so it is what it is. We are happy with the car.
    I am now getting $1200 below their invoice + 0% financing, do you think it is acceptable? I am not sure if you mean $2000 below invoice with or without 0%, which does make $1500 difference.
  • camane72camane72 Member Posts: 1
    Is it possible to get the Base price on a Limited AWD Highlander in NJ for 2K less than invoice? And is it reasonable to get invoice on Nav, Moonroof, Rear HVAC, Power back door, and rear spoiler?

Plus, 0% financing for 36 months?
  • shorty101shorty101 Member Posts: 30
    I have been watching the Toyota lots in Baton Rouge, LA for over a month. The inventory has not changed much. They have many 08 Highlanders available. I have talked to two of the three dealership. They both started at invoice. They also both asked what other quotes I had received. I feel like if they start at invoice I should be able to get them to go lower. Does this seem reasonable?
    That seems like a pretty good deal. The 0% over 36 months saves over $2000 in interest payments -- this assumes a $28,000 loan and an alternative loan of 5%.
    got a quote for 35,000 + 2000 cashback on a limited awd w/navi, tow prep, moon roof, auto hvac

good price or could i go less?
  • jhornjhorn Member Posts: 18
    This is a good deal. Where did you get the deal at? I am in Pittsburgh. Over here, most dealers wanted at invoice.

John
  • findmefindme Member Posts: 36
    There is a used 08 near my home. When I inquired about the vehicle, I found that it was a basic HL without options that I really want. The salesman informed me that he could add leather and a sunroof to the vehicle. He claims that the leather they add is better than Toyota provides and was telling me that their sunroof would have a lifetime warranty from leakage where Toyota only has 3 years warranty. Has anybody went this route having the dealership add the features? I'm a little scared about the prospect of adding them, but I am very thrifty.
    Thanks!
  • ocg35manocg35man Member Posts: 52
    Typical cost for Toyota Factory Sunroof is about $1000. I think Leather is usually
    available as part of package for Highlander.

You didn't mention costs for aftermarket versions for 08 Highlander.
    I'd estimate $1200 for sunroof and $1500 for quality leather.
    First thing, this Used 08,what's the mileage, is it a very good deal compare to
    New 08 Highlander? That matters the most IMHO.

Even if this used 08 is a good deal, I'd think twice before spending close to
    $3000 for aftermarket sunroof and leather. With current economy,you should be
    able to find New 08 Highlander with options you want for not much more than
    this used 08,if you have to spend $3000 on top of its price.

As far as quality of aftermarket sunroof-It maybe okay,but I doubt they will have
    lifetime warranty on leakage! Some aftermarket leather is very nice-But usually
    cost quite a bit.

Good luck! :)
  • greenbikegreenbike Member Posts: 1
    Has anybody purchased a Highlander Limited Hybrid recently? If so, what price did you pay? I am looking for Hybrid Limited with Navigation, moon roof, front climate control, and auto rear climate.
  • rjwiserrjwiser Member Posts: 3
    I was quoted 35800 for a 2WD black limited highlander, loaded w/o NAV. Was wondering what other people were paying in the Texas area. Based on some previous posts, this quote seems high. The dealer is refusing to negotiate any further.
  • kkriskkris Member Posts: 3
    Has anyone recently purchased a Highlander Limited AWD without the Navigation and also without rear entertainment package. Please let me know what price did you pay. I need to purchase this vehicle before this 0% APR offer remains.

The one dealer I contacted in Des Moines area IA has quoted me the the Vehicle Base Model" price of 34,350. Edmunds quotes the invoice price of 30571. Does this mean that the dealer is asking me 3779 dollars more??

Please help me out with this.
  • m94m94 Member Posts: 2
    Hey,

Is the 26k with or w/o 0 Apr?

I got a one with exactly same load, the dealer asked for 26.6k with 0 apr. Is this good?
    It was $36, 800 w/o the toyota financing incentive. I will probably be financing for 60 months, so the best rate I can get would be 2.9% through toyota. They offered to take $1500 more off if I went through another lender, since the the financing / incentive is either or.

I failed to mention that MSRP on the this particular vehicle was $38, 800. Their invoice claimed to be $35,100.

Where did you happen to get one for $26.6, or was that a typo? Are you in the Texas / Gulf refgion?
  • m94m94 Member Posts: 2
    No. I am in MA. This why I replied jh691's post. He has mentioned he got 26K without much haggling.

Please be noted that we are talking about the base mode, its msrp is only 31k sth. You said yours is 36800, so I guess yu are talkinga about sports or limited?
    Thanks! Sorry for the confusion.
  • lawladybuglawladybug Member Posts: 2
    08 Sport 2WD blizzard pearl with all the typical options (MSRP 34,464) plus leather third row. Taking advantage of 0% for 60 months. Quoted $31,700 (OTD) Haven't talked about trade-in yet. Any opinions?
  • armjamilarmjamil Member Posts: 6
    @lawladybug:
    where are you getting 0% for 60 month on a Highlander at?
    I am in TX and here we are only getting 0% for 60 months.
  • lawladybuglawladybug Member Posts: 2
    Atlanta has 0% financing for 60 months.

Also, my numbers were faulty above...apparently the dealership and I had a misunderstanding.

The new numbers on 08 Highlander 2W Sport, MSRP $35,949 has been offered for $33,725 OTD with the 0% financing. We haven't talked trade-in yet. Any ideas on the value I'm getting? The selling price ended up being right at invoice.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A large national newspaper would like to speak with consumers who have purchased a hybrid within the past year or two. If you have a hybrid, please respond to jwahl@edmunds.com with your daytime contact information and what hybrid vehicle you own no later than October 30.
  • slogslog Member Posts: 1
    Just bought one tonight. Denver Colorado
    4wd Sport MSRP 33,933 paid $29,429 before TTL. (this was with the $1500 rebate). and my own financing.
  • bleeg10bleeg10 Member Posts: 4
    Hi guys,
    I'm looking at a 2008 Limited Highlander 2WD with both Navi and Rear Entertainment System. The MSRP on this thing is $40,233 (excluding TTL). The dealer is offering me $35,798 (excluding the $1,500 rebate) because I'm financing at 2.9%. What do you think, good deal?
  • mdhuttonmdhutton Member Posts: 195
    Are you sure that it's a 2WD and not 4WD that you're being quoted? That's almost the same MSRP for a similarly-equipped vehicle as my '08 HL LTD 4WD. Check to be sure.
  • 4wheelinit4wheelinit Member Posts: 4
    I'm in the South Jersey/Philadelphia area and after EXTENSIVELY EXTENSIVELY shopping online via email (admittedly with a fake phone number, so the vultures couldn't reach me on the phone), I ended up buying a car in Maryland, (near DC) at a price that more than 5 Philadelphia area dealers couldn't or wouldn't match (only James Toyota matched my best prices but didn't have my color combination).

Anyway, the only two dealers I visited were the only two that published their bottom line price online, and it was a price they stuck to and beat pretty much everyone else.... CarMax/Laurel Toyota and Fitzmall (Lakeforest Toyota). Look at both of their websites. I got a car that MSRP'd for 37,804 for 31,551--more than $2000 under dealer invoice (though I ended up paying 32801, plus a $99 processing fee--the deal was so good I didn't even bother trying to haggle this one away--to take the 0% over 36 months). I was able to put nothing down on this car.

The car I bought was identical to 5361901 on CarMax's website except mine had mudguards and based on timing of delivery to the dealer a $745 Destination Charge vs. the $680 on the CarMax vehicle.

If you're within a few hours of the DC area look at both of their website and visit both places...while neither of them play games with bait and switch on their price if you have a trade in, one will keep the other honest). I ended up buying at Fitz Mall, though that was only because they were my second stop. If anything I'd fault CarMax for NOT playing enough on my trade in, that probably cost them the sale as I was more comfortable with their operation overall.

Feel free to post any other questions you might have and good luck with the purchase process.

Mark
    Was able to get 35k OTD using $2k rebate.