Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Toyota Highlander Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• jkenleyjkenley Member Posts: 64
    Sounds like a great deal. Which dealer did you get this from? Also, are you leasing or buying and can you give us an idea of payments? Thanks.
  • dmjf19dmjf19 Member Posts: 6
    Hi

I got this deal yesterday in Northern NJ. 08 Highlander Limited MSRP $40570. Invoice $36267. The dealer said they would sell it $500 over invoice minus $3500 in incentives which would bring the price to $33267.

Is this a good deal? I would like to move on it because most of the 2008s in decent colors are just about gone and I don't want to be stuck with a crazy blue color.

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

Thanks
  • mdhuttonmdhutton Member Posts: 195
    I'd still try for more. There's no reason to pay more than invoice right now, and in fact negotiating less seems to be possible. THEN apply the incentives, since they're factory-to-dealer anyway. It's a great vehicle, but you should be able to do about $1000 better on an '08 which has already begun to depreciate.
  • youremyboyblueyouremyboyblue Member Posts: 1
    When someone says invoice are we to refer to the Edmunds.com invoice amount? I was told by the dealer that the invoice I provided was a little off of what he had. I am in the market for something similar...

2008 Highlander FWD Limited

I am looking for Blizzard Pearl.

Here are the options

Multi-stage heated front seats
    Touch Screen Navigation w/ voice activation and JBL 4 Disc w/ Bluetooth
    Power Rear Door
    Auto Rear air conditioning system w/ rear vents for 2nd & 3rd row
    Color Keyed Sport Styled rear spoiler w/ led stop lamp
    Power Tilt/Slide Moonroof w/ sunshade
    Tow Prep Package which includes: 5000 pound towing capacity, heavy duty
    radiator w/ engine oil cooler, 240 watt fan coupling, transmission oil
    cooler w/ water cooler, 150 amp alternator, & pre-wire harness
    mudguards
    Carpet/Cargo mat- 3 row seating.

This is what he was offering...
    >> MSRP 39,609
    >> INVOICE 35,361.52
    Less rebate of $2,500

Total = 32,861.52 plus tax and tt & l

Does anyone have a good idea if that is a great deal?

Does anyone know if there has been any word on model changes for 2010?
  • bobsakamanoffbobsakamanoff Member Posts: 5
    Just closed the deal on a Black 2008 Sport

Had the common options, front and rear auto-climate, the 6-disc CD changer, sunroof, rails and corssbars, floor mats, cargo cover, homelink, anti-theft, towing prep, etc.

MSRP: 35,400
    Purchase Price: 30,800 - 2,000 rebate (NE area) = 28,800 +TTL

Got financing at 4.55% from BofA

Got them to throw in a remote starter at no extra cost
    Does anybody have any experience with small cracks / chips in a windshield and what can be done to repair/replace them?

I drove home from work yesterday and all was well. Today, when leaving for work, I have a crack (not chip) about 4" long right in my line of sight. This literally developed overnight while the vehicle was garage-kept (I certainly would have noticed it had it been there yesterday due to its location).

Obviously, I'll be investigating my options in the days to come, but I see four at this point:

1) Claim the glass was defective and get Toyota to replace it under warranty. Not likely, but since I wasn't driving at the time and the car wasn't where it could be struck by an object, one never knows.

2) Have it repaired for approximately $100.

3) Have the windshield replaced if unrepairable for $1475 parts & labor. This was the quote from my dealer.

4) Go to an auto glass shop and risk a less-than-genuine replacement part and uncertain skill level of technicians.

I have an '08 HL LTD 4WD with heated wiper rests in my windshield, and my Sirius antenna mounted on the inside.
  • John0330John0330 Member Posts: 1
    Just got a quote from a local dealer for a 08 Base, 4WD:
    Vehicle Base Model: $28950
    Installed Options: $1945
    Total MSRP: $31640

Dealer offer: $28800-$2000 rebate=$26800+Tax..

Is this a good deal? Thanks.
  • wvgasguywvgasguy Member Posts: 1,405
    If you have zero deductible on your Comprehensive then it will cost you nothing and it does not raise your rates.

I had my glass repaired rather than replaced and I would have had them replace it had I not traded. The repairs are good for the owner, but if you sell the warranty is gone (at least on the repair I had). If I was buying a car with a repaired crack that would bother me.

I didn't like the repair as when the sun would hit it just right you could still see the crack. Quite annoying. All they really do is superclean the crack and seal it. Probably is good structurally, but if the crack is in an annoying place it will bother you. Also, as I mentioned, when you sell you really are giving them no guarentee that its no longer an issue.
  • AXM23AXM23 Member Posts: 64
    That seems like it is a great deal. Are there demo miles on this model? Where is this deal being offered?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    If it is really $1475, then turn it into your insurance.... even if your comprehensive deductible is $500, it will be worth it.. (that price seems too much by a factor of three, though)...

I'd rather have an independent glass installer do the work than a Toyota service shop... you can always insist on an OEM replacement, even with an independent..

Call another Toyota dealer's parts department and get a straight price for the windshield.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• will44will44 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking to purchase a 2008 4x4 Highlander. Either a base model or Sport model. Wondering what to expect for a good price. Thanks, will44
  • xpediaxpedia Member Posts: 4
    2008 Toyota Highlander Hybrid 4dr AWD $36,202.00
    Options:
    Front Dual Zone Automatic Air Conditioning QC + $300.00
    Power Tilt and Slide Sun/Moon Roof SR + $680.00
    Rear Seat Entertainment w/DVD EY + $1,424.00
    Navigation System NV + $2,211.00
    Rear Automatic Air Conditioning QR + $628.00
    Carpeted Floor Cargo & 3rd Row Mat Set + $225.00
    Quoted Price is $42986-$1000 factory rebate=$41986.00
    I'm still working on them to go lower
  • talen316talen316 Member Posts: 32
    All -

Just a heads up for those that are thinking about purchasing, but haven't yet...

Currently, there are only a couple of all season tire options currently on the market for the 245/55/19 tires that both the '08/'09 Sport and LTD models come standard.

Toyo and Bridgestone are the only tire mfg's and they have very limited offerings at this size and none of them are getting very good feedback from owners, mainly around tread life and poor traction in winter weather. The exception being the Bridgestone Blizzak winter tire which seems to get pretty good reviews. Aside from the limited selection and suspect tire performance, this size tire isn't cheap (pushing the $200 per range) either.

FWIW, I read a post in another thread where someone had a source within Toyota that acknowledged this is a major problem (but Toyota apparently will not discuss this publically) and that Bridgestone was apparently supposed to provide more options, but has failed to do so.

Bottom line, if you're still looking to buy, you may want to discuss this with the dealer and look at options to having them swap the wheels with another size that will accomodate a more widely available selection and price range of tires. I've read of some folks swapping down to 17" wheel. I also believe there are some good tire options that would be compatible in the 20" size (245/50/20).

I wish I would have been aware of this before I bought my Sport back in Nov. Keeping fingers crossed that more/better options will be available with the 245/55/19 size in the not too distant future, but who knows.

As always, YMMV.
  • alex07631alex07631 Member Posts: 9
    my dealer quoted me almost $800 for new windshield and they don't even do the work themselves. Service guy was nice enough to tell me they call www.safelite.com So i called them myself. Showed up the next day, did the work in the parking lot at my work, it's been two year no problem. Best of all, under $300 and i didn't have to take half a day off from work to get it done.
    Quoted Price is $42986-$1000 factory rebate=$41986.00

Is $42,986 the MSRP? No dealer discouting on an 08? Check Fitzmall. My dealer matched and gave me $4200 off MSRP on an 09HH
    Thank you. A neighbor of mine who is a service advisor at a Range Rover dealer took a look at my damage and suggested to at least make an attempt at asking for a warranty repair; but absent any success there, he also suggested safelite.
  • derprofiderprofi Member Posts: 250
    We took our first trip to a dealer to test drive a Highlander today (also drove a tasty X5 diesel!) and the dealer was trying to push an untitled gray '08 Limited demo they received last week with almost 6K miles on it.

MSRP $41.5K, leather, auto rear AC, heated seats, nav, JBL Premium, satellite radio, bluetooth, moonroof, rear spoiler, towing prep

They thought they were making me a great offer @ $36K (including the ongoing 2008 $2K promo that ends soon.) The way I see it, KBB Retail on a 2008 in excellent condition with that many miles is around $31K, so adding in the $2K promo should mean no more than $29K. Any suggestions for a good offer?
    RUN, don't walk, away from this dealer unless they can do better. The vehicle you've described with those options could be negotiated for about 36K when brand new 9 months ago (I know...I did it).

Your numbers are right on track. They need to do about 7K better.
    thx mdhutton, good to know I'm in the right ballpark.
    For another $1K +/- a little you should be able to get an 09 with no miles.
    $1K over which?
  • lenox29lenox29 Member Posts: 2
    ANY DATA ON YOUR QUESTION : Does anyone know if there has been any word on model changes for 2010?
    MSRP is $47,915
    $1K over which?

I was commenting on this one.

MSRP $41.5K, leather, auto rear AC, heated seats, nav, JBL Premium, satellite radio, bluetooth, moonroof, rear spoiler, towing prep

They thought they were making me a great offer $36K (including the ongoing 2008 $2K promo that ends soon.)

I believe for around $37+ you should be able to get an 09 with no miles rather than an 08 with 6000 miles
    MSRP is $47,915

So at about $42K (your best offer from them thus far) you're getting $5900 off. Since you can get an 09 for a little over $4K off you simply have to decide if it's worth saving another $2K to get an 08. As far as depreciation on used cars, the 09 would probably always be worth the extra $2K but if you're keeping the car till it drops that really doesn't matter.

If you can get exactly what you want then it may be a consideration, but for just $2K it would have to be what I want since I can find an 09 in the color with all the options I want for a little more.

If Toyota was hurting as bad as GM they would be pushing the 08's harder. Unfortunately they don't.

Last time I bought an end of the year deal I decided I wanted to get rid of it in two years. By then it was 3 model years old and I was way upside down on my loan.
  • txmom1txmom1 Member Posts: 1
    We just bought a preowned 2007 HL.

27K miles, 4 cyl, FWD, leather seats, power driver seat, roof rack & cross bars, spoiler, wheel upgrade, 3rd row seat (which probably won't get used much). The price was $14,805. We found others like this for around $17,999. We bought it from a wholesaler - found it on ebay.

There were a few little quirks. We had to drive 5 hours to get it. There is only one key and no remotes (ordering from ebay). It was missing 2 interior trim pieces (cost us about $35 total). All in all, pretty darn good I think.
  • sodoi18sodoi18 Member Posts: 9
    Please advise the MSRP is $37,659 Invoice at $31,495
    Dealer say take it for $31,795.

I am thinking it should be not more than $30k. What should be the best price on this considering the rebates and it being a 2008 car.

I am sure there should be some one out there who got similar car, please share the price

Thanks
  • terry79terry79 Member Posts: 27
    Where the rebate was $5000(southeast region) the 08's with a similar msrp were
    going for $28800 or so.
  • ljd1019ljd1019 Member Posts: 6
    bad deal. they should give you 2K under the invoice at least. we are talking about a 2008 here and we are in feb of 2009. there sales where down over 30% last month
    Thanks, I decided against getting the 2008 and instead asked for a quote on 2009 without the rear dvd. The sales woman quoted me $400 off invoice making the price the same as I would have paid for the 08. They wanted around $900 for a tow hitch installed, but I found one online for $177 and a you tube video on how to install. None of the other dealers in norcal wanted to match. One dealer said I should watch out because the car had been on the lot for 3 months and might be stale. He said I should buy his for $1K more because his was fresher!
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    Better squeeze it.. to see if it's ripe! :surprise:

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

I am picking up a 2008 sport 4x4, sticker was $35,363.00 I got it for $28,500.00. I had to deal with 6 different dealers to get that price.
  • pmorrowpmorrow Member Posts: 2
    ljd1019 - Can you provide any more details on your deal? I am in the Philly area and recently started talking to multiple dealers...any suggestion on which is the best to deal with?

thanks.
    Team Toyota in Langhorne where the only one willing to go under the invoice price + use the 2K insentive in the philadelphia area for me. It is a bit of a hike but worth it.
  • findmefindme Member Posts: 36
    We purchased 08 4X4 sport loaded with nav, power rear door, dual air zones, rear air, bluetooth, leather, just about everything for 29,000. The MSRP was 39900. We did purchase it in Southeast when 5000 rebate was being given. We drove 6 hours for the deal. Nobody in my area would budge on prices. We purchased from jim Barkley in NC. You might want to check their 09 prices. I haven't checked. I don't think they have any 08's left, but again, you may want to check.
  • EandOHEandOH Member Posts: 24
    Just purchased an '08 Highlander Sport 2WD...

MSRP/Sticker: $38,569 excluding, tax, title etc...
    Invoice: $34,730
    Purchase: $29,900 plus tax, title, accessories

On '08's, you should be able to get the dealers to take most of the $5,000 marketing support off the invoice price.

Good Luck to all.
  • pilotbound1pilotbound1 Member Posts: 13
    After an extensive search for a Honda Pilot ( just off a leased '06) I made a deal today on an new '08 base with pretty well equipped, moon roof, 6 cd, heated mirrors , 3rd row , and winshild grid, 17" wheels Blizzard Pearl ( extra) no leather , no financing , for $26,070, plus tax, Title , inspect ( no dealer fees just $65 for the title inspection )list $32,873 . I feel pretty it was a pretty good deal. Toyota had $3,500 in dealer cash . In the Northeast . Any thoughts?
  • pilotbound1pilotbound1 Member Posts: 13
    On car just purchased ( '08 Highlander base) wanted to sell me the body side moldings at $495, and the Service agreement 7 years , $0-$50 deductible , $1,000. When I said no they said $1,000 for both . Deal or no Deal?

No longer Pilot Bound.
  • housestaffhousestaff Member Posts: 1
    Hi every one.
    I am looking to buy an 09 highlander. I am looking at fitz automall in gaithersberg, MD. this one is quoted at $34498.

(QG ) EXTRA VALUE PKG 6 INCLUDES:
    - dual zone automatic climate control w/steering wheel mounted A/C controls, automatic rear A/C, HomeLink universal transceiver, heated pwr exterior mirrors, windshield wiper de-icer grid, touch screen navigation system w/voice activation, JBL AM/FM stereo w/4-disc in-dash CD changer & (9) speakers, subwoofer, Bluetooth hands-free phone system, XM satellite radio capability, MP3/WMA capability
    (PB ) PWR REAR HATCH W/JAM PROTECTION
    (SR ) PWR TILT & SLIDE MOONROOF W/SUNSHADE
    (TO ) TOW PKG INCLUDES:
    - 5000 lb. towing capacity, HD radiator w/engine oil cooler, 200-watt fan coupling, trans oil cooler w/water cooler, 150-amp alternator, prewired harness
    (CT ) CARPETED FLOOR, CARGO & 3RD ROW MAT SET (N/A w/SD 3rd Row Seat Delete) (PPO)

is it a good price ?
    Would you recommend any other dealer in the NY, NJ, CT area ?

thanks
  • OIlboilerOIlboiler Member Posts: 1
    Since this forum has been helpful to me, here is some info on my purchase of my new 2009 Highlander Sport. After many weeks of off and on looking and haggling in the old fashioned way, I decided to Email all the dealers I had visited. All responded, some with "come on in and we'll talk", to " here is our invoice price, make us an offer". After about 1 week of back and forth banter, only one was even reasonably close to what I had for an invoice price on my credit union car pricing site. I visited that dealer 1st and here is what I ended up with:

2009 Magnetic Grey 2WD Sport
    O3 Owner reward pkg Running boards, mats, mud guards , body side molds
    EJ JBL Bluetooth stereo
    PB Power rear door
    QC Front auto AC
    QR Auto rear air
    SR Moon Roof
    P4 Vehicle Shield

The invoice price I had on this one was $30,992
    MSRP = $ 35,301
    $31,269 + $3082 TT&L= $34,351 OTD

This price was about $1500, better than my best "walk away" price in late 2008 at several dealers. This is South Louisiana where the economy is still pretty good. Any comments? I'll post more details about my experience later.
  • terry79terry79 Member Posts: 27
    There is one dealer in Baton Rouge (All Star) that is selling 09's at invoice plus
    $300. Tempting but since I'm in no hurry I will wait and see if better deals are to be had as the economy weakens.
  • sodoi18sodoi18 Member Posts: 9
    MSRP at $37659
    What price should I even consider buying this 2008 highlander with sports package.

If we add roof mounted DVD, what should be a good deal price

Thanks all for your inputs
  • TheBadGuy31TheBadGuy31 Member Posts: 1
    MSRP - 37, 590
    Sold Price - 33,850
    Bought the extended warranty/tire care/interior&exterior protection for around 2k.

Has Premium Sound, bluetooth, 3rd row, 4x4, all weather mats, power gate, homelink, sat. radio ready, passanger climate control.

I'm very happy. My first brand new car.
  • nsheerannsheeran Member Posts: 1
    Today I purchased a 2008 Limited FWD in Blizzard Pearl with the following options:

EY - Rear DVD
    EJ - Upgraded JBL Audio
    HD - Heated Seats
    PB - Power Rear Door
    PC - Pearl Color
    QR - Auto Rear Air
    RF - Spoiler
    SR - Moonroof
    TO - Tow Package
    Plus Carpet/Cargo Mat, body side molding and mudguards

MSRP: $39,543
    Edmunds Invoice: $34,255

Purchase Price: $32,000
    Total, off the lot: $35,385 (TTL only, nothing to the F&I guy)
  • jhornjhorn Member Posts: 18
    Hello Everyone,

I am about to close a deal on an 08' hybrid limited (Cypress Pearl without navigation and DVD) at Hartford Toyota in CT. The dealer offers $26,500 and gives me $8,000 for my trade-in (03' FWD V6 HL).

Is this a good deal. I noticed that on Edmunds, the average is ~$39k for the similar options.

Thanks,

John
  • boston26boston26 Member Posts: 13
    That's unheard of. I bought 08 Hybrid with all the options except rear DVD for slightly under $ 42K in Feb 08. Does it have any miles on it? What is the dealer invoice price on it?
    $26,500 for a HL Limited? Buy 10 of 'em if that's the correct price!!
  • jhornjhorn Member Posts: 18
    Sorry all for the typo.

The dealer offers $36,500 (MSRP = $44,250).

John
  • 08HLBase08HLBase Member Posts: 8
    Benefited a great deal from all the posts here and would like to share my experience.

MSRP: $32,584 with following options installed:

CQ roof rails
    CT floor and cargo mats
    DJ AM/FM 6 CD
    EH heated mirrors and wiper deicer
    FE federal emissions
    PR Engine immobilizer
    QM manual rear climate controls
    RL running lights
    SR sunroof
    3T cross bars for roof rack

Final Price: $25,359
    OTD: $27,033 (TT&L without any extra)

Might get lower price if waited until end of month, but didn't want to risk running out of 2008.