Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Toyota Highlander Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• zelduhzelduh Member Posts: 8
    My last shot before just waiting but I want to know thoughts asap. I may go in today.

I was able to get the dealer to $700 above invoice for a 4CYL FWD Blizzard Pearl with some upgrades....We are in Delaware area so not lots of snow and ice but the mileage is what I love..It says 21-27 and I thought it drove really well.....even par with the RAV4 v6..Still quiet..

We don't get too much snow areound here..but wanted to know thoughts on resell if I have to.

I jsut don't want to spend the $30k plus for the 09...as much as I love this car I may not hold onto it super super long due to geographic changes in the next couple of years.....Alternatively, I drove the RAV4 V6..and for just about the same price (for the 10 RAV) I can get my highlander with good mileage...

ANy thoughts? Everyone in the NE area always says gets 4wd...but really how many times do you use it.....to pay that extra..

Would love an answer asap..would love to maybe do the deal today if I get feedback about those issues..

PS...from my reading on the v6 RAV people like it but really their gas milage is not as much as they thought it would be...That is why I am comparing...

Thank you all..
  • sbuhlersbuhler Member Posts: 122
    From what I noticed with Demos is that they still don't want to loose much money on the deal. Many times they just wait for the right buyer that wants that exact model and will pay a little of a premium on it. If the MSRP is 36K (not inflated dealer MSRP), I still doubt you will be able to get it much under 27-29K (Invoice - any money they have on it - some for the miles) if it has never been titled before.
  • sweetsoulsweetsoul Member Posts: 35
    Thanks sbuhler :) I am going to try to negotiate with them and see. The salesperson was mumbling that it would at least need to be another $2-3k, he thought, for it to be reasonable. But that was with an offer of $22k on the table. So...I am going to give it a good effort, prob would pay up to $25k on this '08, but don't want to pay close to invoice. I know there are some dealers where I live that will pretty much sell at or very close to invoice, even if you have to order a car. So if this does not turn out to be a geniunely good deal then I will wait and order one prob the end of December. I'll let you guys know how I make out!
  • gwblackgwblack Member Posts: 4
    Hello All,

I'm considering buying a 2009 Base model Highlander. There are a few things that are confusing me while researching standard & optional features:

1) The 2009 brochure shows fabric 3rd-row seating as standard on the Base. Also Edmunds shows it as standard, with an available credit to delete it. However, the factory MSRP window sticker on all Base units on my dealer's lot include a $740 charge to include the 3rd-row seat (Option code TH). Does anybody know which is correct?

2) Some Base models on my dealer's lot have a leather-wrapped steering wheel, while others do not. According to the Toyota brochure and car buying websites, a leather-wrapped wheel is not even an option on the Base model (even as part of a package). A person at the Toyota 1-800 # is under the same impression. Has anybody noticed this, or know which package needs ordered to get a leather wheel? Since I may upgrade to after-market leather, I'd like the wheel to match. Local upholstery shops don't want to mess with leathering the steering wheel.

Thanks
    Gary
  • ironjeffironjeff Member Posts: 20
    Looks like 2010s are starting to come in - has anyone gotten any prices from dealerships?
  • marc52marc52 Member Posts: 17
    Just bought the same color car in a Limited.
    Navigation, special color, sport spoiler, tow package, cargo mats, carpet mats and cargo mat.
    List Price... 38,333 after 1500.00 Extra Value Package Discount includes destination.
    Paid 33,300 plus plates and tax 2565,,,35,865
    Love the car,,,, Will take some time to learn the Navigation.
  • saleman99saleman99 Member Posts: 16
    Here's the deal offered to order a new
    2010 Highlander Sport
    4X4, Black, Black Cloth Seats, Back-up camera, Bluetooth, rear climate controls, powered driver seat, sun roof, 6-disc JBL system with Sub.

First Offer -
    $35,330 - List
    $5,000 - Trade-in
    $30,330 - Difference
    $2,450 - T&T&L
    $32,780 - FINAL OTD
    $609 monthly 3.9%

Second Offer -
    $33,155 - 3% over invoice
    $5,500 - Trade-in
    $27,655 - Difference
    $2,257 - T&T&L
    $29,912 - FINAL OTD
    $555 monthly 3.9%

Did not accept either offer. The dealership was helpful and knowledgeable, good starting point.
  • steven1357steven1357 Member Posts: 69
    $ 2,175 below MSRP - Huh !!

Is that as good as they all are going to go?
    Then, they may not sell many 2010s.

3% above invoice is 3% above their made up invoice and not 3% above their actual cost.

When did they say you could expect to get this 2010 Highlander?
    Also, what city are you in?
    Naperville, IL.
    They said by the end of the month they will be coming in.
  • zelduhzelduh Member Posts: 8
    Me..Forget the Rav 4...Still wavering (waiting for the Highlander). Waiting for these fool people to come to their senses.

While they waste their time messing with us on these prices- I have found one I was really surprised by and now may go down a road....

Has anyone here looked at the SUBURU OUTBACK? I know this is a Highlander forum and I love the hlander and is this close to getting one...but they caused me to at least look elsewhere and for the money...a decent car....

WHat I can get is still lower than any BS they are feeding me at Toyota...SUburu has great resell value; very close in specs to highlander, (Except storage/cargo is obviously bigger and 3rd row).but honestly, I am going to consider it..

These prices are crazy..and I cannot wait much longer (for toyota).
  • ghost2010ghost2010 Member Posts: 9
    Settled on a 4WD LTD with navi, rear dvd, sport spoiler, tow package, cargo mats (QI, RF, EY,CT ) for $40,500 OTD. Sales tax is 8.5% in our area which really blows. Dealer also threw in $1800 maintenance book which is pretty much coupons for certain services. It's junk, but thought I mention it.
  • ruthenium101ruthenium101 Member Posts: 3
    signed papers for 2010 HL:

Limited FWD
    silver metallic
    QH (package #7), PB (power back door)

for $33,600 before TTL.

Not a great deal, but I took it.
    Could you please list the MSRP and the city in which you purchased it?

Did they tell you it would be in approx the end of Oct?
  • ruthenium101ruthenium101 Member Posts: 3
    Could you please list the MSRP and the city in which you purchased it?

dealership listed price was $36,574; MSRP (by edmunds.com) $35,775
    Houston, TX

Did they tell you it would be in approx the end of Oct?

mid October
    I plan on going to another dealership in Illinois that has a couple 2009 Highlanders in stock that are equipped the way I want.

What are your opinions on what the difference in price should be between an 09 or a 2010.
    What I mean is...
    If I thought that $32,000 was a good price for a particular 2010. How much less would you be willing to pay for an equivalent 2009?

Really just looking for a ballpark number. $500 less, $750, $2000 ???
    I'm in the same boat - here's what I've found from getting quotes online and by calling into dealers. For the same car with the same options, the best I can get right now on a 2009 is about $140 over invoice by calling in and playing dealers against each other. The average price over invoice for a 2009 from all the dealers I've gotten is about $300-400 over invoice.

For a 2010 I've called and emailed - and the responses over the phone have been very vague and until recently they couldn't even get prices. Now that they do it seems like many dealerships are not willing to go much lower than MSRP which is pretty nuts. The best I've gotten was an internet quote for $350 over invoice for a 2010. One thing I did notice was a change in the psirce of one of the Extra Value Packages.

I'm looking at a Sport 4x4 and one of the packages is QG and for the 2009 it's listed at $2475 MSRP and $2228 Dealer. But for 2010 it's closer to $2900. The dealer didn't know why the increase in almost 500, and I'm hoping it's not his own fudging of the numbers so maybe you can call around and see what you find.

The ballpark number I would expect would be $500 or less. They all say that these brand new models are so popular that they don't need to discount it but I think that's garbage.
    So it sounds like they're not really budging on the price over invoice. $300-400 over on either the 2009 or 2010, but the 2009 could be around $500 cheaper because of the package markup. How much more would you personally be willing to pay for the 2010?

In my mind, $500 isn't worth it. I'll just buy the 2010. I'm thinking that $1500-2000 less is what would get me to buy a 2009.

I'm actually not too dissappointed in the price I was offered on the 2010 (see earlier post) I'm convinced the Highlander is better than any compareable, so I'm ok with paying a slight premium. They know what type of car they have, just look at consumer reports. I just would expect them to try and get rid of 2009's they have.

On a side note, I plan on bringing today's MSNBC Toyota article to the dealership when I go. LOL.
    Your earlier post mentioned 3% over invoice - so like $900 over invoice - is that the latest prices you've gotten? I think you should be able to do better than that. Don't forget to mention you're a costco member.
  • flintmobileflintmobile Member Posts: 1
    I am looking to get a Sport with the following options
    V6 4x4 + QF + SR + TO + PN + mats
    MSRP $34840/- and as per Edmunds invoice ~ $31300/-

Best offer $32300/- for a cash deal. Same options in 2010 is priced @ $32700/-
    as the QF is priced $400 more for 2010.

So I am being offered no discounts for 2009 :mad:

Anyways, I do need a vehicle soon as our camry got totaled over the weekend, already have a check from the Insurance ;)

One dealer says Edmunds invoice is not true and he added some Advertising fees and other stuff , which he is willing to share in person ..this saturday.

My question is has any one seen what are legitimate charges on Invoice on top of what Edmunds shows, so I can compare and see if this price is any good and how low can I go ?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
    Yeah, the last price they gave me is 3% over invoice a new 2010. I know what I personally am willing to pay for an 2009 and 2010. The catch is the trade-in I have. That's where most of my negotiating will take place. That particular dealer didn't have the color of the 2009 I wanted, so I'm going to head to another dealer that does tomorrow. I probably won't buy a 2010 until the dealers actually get them. We'll see.

I didn't about the Costco thing, so thanks for that info.
  • ghost2010ghost2010 Member Posts: 9
    Use the Edmunds invoice price as a guide only. But I wouldn't believe what the dealer is telling me to be their invoice price either. You can't rely entirely on the invoice price, some dealers will give you a low invoice price then add some junk charges later or try to sell you some extra packages. Dealer I bought from tried to add $500 in "prep fees". Find out what the vehicle sales tax is for your area also, and walk in with an idea of what you want the OTD price to be. Bring a calculator and be wary of how they compute the taxes since sometimes they try to make a profit by saying you have to pay $2500 in taxes, when in actuality you should only be paying $2000.

I declined all the extra packages when I bought my LTD Highlander, but the dealer originally offered the 10 yr/100k extended warranty for $3500!, when I declined he eventually dropped the price to $1000! A $2500 difference!
  • maddy11maddy11 Member Posts: 5
    Guyz,
    dealer just quoted me a 09 highlander limited evp#8 with factory navigation and fully equipped one for $35925 after much bargain..I think its a very good deal..what do you think?m.s.r.p is $39314
  • mc98mc98 Member Posts: 4
    Best quote I got for an 09 Highlander Sport w/ev#6, LA, Tow pckg, Carpet floormats, moonroof $32,988.00 which was invoice. This was through USAA about 1 month ago. The price has since gone up and the best I can get now is $800 over invoice. It seems that the cash for clunkers has negatively impacted people who need to buy cars now. Toyota claims their inventory is very low and that is why no real rebates are being provided.

Maddy11, is your price for HL ltd ev#8 of $35,925 out the door, or do you still have to add ttl??
    does this price include tax lic and fees?
  • kprgroupkprgroup Member Posts: 9
    2009 Base FWD V6 with Extra Value Package 2(QB),AM/FM/6CD w/6 Speakers(DJ),
    8-Way Power Driver Seat(PE),Tow Package(TQ)

Delear MSRP is $ 27867.00
    Edmunds TMV is$ 26,321.00

Going tomorrow to the dealer with the OTD price negotiation in my mind between 26,560 to 27,100 . (My tax6.5% and title&tag comes around $2300)

Please advise.

Thanks
    in my region (socal) the invoice of this care w/your options is $27,341.00.
    i say that youre getting a very good price. what state?
    Has anyone explored the possibility of doing a group buy and trying to get a discount? Or better yet has anyone done it? I did this for my last car and got a good deal.

I'm in Northern California and would be open to the possibility if there are others looking for Highlanders...
  • tl_stl_s Member Posts: 13
    hey ironjeff,
    i'm looking to buy a highlander also and i'm in san jose area.
    maybe you can pm or email me and maybe we can get one or more other in and see if we can make a better deal.
    i've been buying from a toyota fleet manager i known for years here in the san jose area and he has always been forthcoming and truthful and prices he gives me i've check around and no one else has been able to match.
    i've purchase 6 toyota from him the past 16 years and the referred a good number of friends. my last toyota from him was a 2006 avalon and my wife is still driving it. :)
  • shortyesshortyes Member Posts: 8
    2009 Base FWD V6 with Extra Value Package 2(QB),AM/FM/6CD w/6 Speakers(DJ), 8-Way Power Driver Seat(PE),Tow Package(TQ)

I was just quoted
    29000 OTD

My family friend was quoted
    28800 OTD

We are both live in FL. They rejected our asking price of 28000 OTD. Will keep looking.
    Hey tl_s, that sounds good. I tried to friend you on this edmunds forum but otherwise I don't see an option to pm you.

Here's an email I just made so we can get in contact with eachother:
    highlandergroup@live.com
    Price is OTD price includes tax, title, registration etc..
    yes its the OTD price
    that is a very good price. what state are you in? Best price I can get here in Ca is $34,623 plus fees which would be about $38k
    how did you manage getting the price??
  • brian1127brian1127 Member Posts: 1
    I'm getting quoted fairly consistently over the phone and on email at around $3,000 below MSRP on 2009 Highlander LTDs. Does this sound right? Has anyone had trouble with dealers honoring those email quotes when they show up at the dealership (i.e. bait and switch or additional fees). My plan is to require a faxed quote with OTD taxes and fees. Any advice appreciated...
    According to the article linked to below, the 2010 Highlanders are now being built (Link is Courtesy of Message # 51 in the 2010 Highlander Release Date thread).

link title

Since the 1st year depriciation loss on a 2009 Highlander once the 2010s come out is approx $ 9,000, you may want to consider waiting for the 2010s. Of course, the longer you plan to keep that 2009, the lower the "average" yearly depreciation loss is.
    IMHO, phone & E-Mail "quotes" by dealers don't mean a thing.
    I would get a very specific price on a very specific vehicle so that you will know for sure what options and packages you are actually getting. You could do that by fax or E-Mail, but the final proof as to whether you will in fact get the vehicle you want for the price you want to pay is to then go down to the dealer in person.
  • gwblackgwblack Member Posts: 4
    Wilde Toyota near Milwaukee is selling '09 Base V6 FWD models for $26867 plus $119 doc fee (plus any sales tax/title) with the EV Pkg #2, Pwr Driver Seat, Tow Pkg & Cold Weather Pkg.

I just bought the same from Hudson Toyota in Madisonville, KY for $27150 + $150 doc fee (before tax/title) with more stuff than Wilde's had, They even drove 180 miles to get it! It was white ($200 extra cost) plus had crossbars and floor mats, in addition to EV Pkg #2, Pwr Driver Seat, Tow Pkg & Cold Weather Pkg. I was very happy with this deal since they were only 50 miles away from me.

BTW: does anybody have an 09 Base V6 with leather steering wheel? Half of them on my dealers lot have leather wrap wheel even though Toyota insists it's NOT an option on Base Model. What's the best aftermarket leather wheel cover (Wheelskins?) The reason I'm curious is because I may convert the upholstery to leather and would like the steering wheel to match. Most upholstery shops won't touch the steering wheel.

Thanks!
    Gary
  • shyboyshyboy Member Posts: 36
    I am on 22172 zipcode, and dealer quoted me $34,698.73 for 2009 Toyota Highlander: Highlander 4x4 V6 Limited

I know this is not a very good price. but can someone please suggest what is the best price I get get for this model?

thanks,
  • willfromlawillfromla Member Posts: 2
    It's not as low as I had hoped but we are thinking to take the price. This is 4 cyl base, with 3rd row, package2 and 8way power seat etc. Price is before TTL. Comments welcome. This is the lowest price I can find.
    Not sure if this will help you any since this car has a V6 and not 4Cy

1. 2009 Toyota Highlander Base V6 w/ 3rd row seating
    2. MSRP $30,539
    3. Invoice ~$28,052 (from truecar)
    4. Paid $28,000 OTD
    5. This was a lot special - Base + $2,144 ($1,694 truecar) options (7% tax)

tow prep package, pack #2, 6 disc, power seats, carpets and premium color
  • willfromlawillfromla Member Posts: 2
    That's an excellent price!! I am in New Orleans and none of the dealers here would go that low. Maybe we haven't tried hard enough??
    Thanks.
    Could you explain what Truecar is.
    I assume it is a car buying service?

Also, please list the city & state & dealer name.

THANKS
    truecar.com is a place where you can get the price of a car with all options like Edmunds. It breaks it down to a bell shape graph that gives you an idea of what most people are paying, sticker price of the car with options, dealer invoice and the bottom of the barrel price with all dealer hold backs.

I'm from Tampa, FL

Go through the internet sales department. When I went and tried a saleman, I got 29000 OTD. The internet department was able to get me to 28000. Never be afraid to walk away.
  • bigbrownboybigbrownboy Member Posts: 1
    Now that the 2010s are entering showrooms, does anybody know when Edmunds/KBB update their listings? I'm mostly curious about when the used 2008 models might drop in value due to the new model year.

I see certified used 2008 HiHy Limiteds being pushed at $40K which just seems crazy!
  • ny_ny_ Member Posts: 4
    I negotiated a decent price for a 2009 Base over the phone and ended up giving them a credit card for a $500 deposit. I plan on paying with cash.

Atter reading this, I wondering if I should have waited until November when there are new incentives....is it likely that there will be a $ off incentive for 2009 (instead of just financing as there is now)?

Can I just hold off on picking it up and see what happens? Will I automatically be entitled to the new incentive at the price I negotiated?
    @ny:

What is the final price you guys agreed on? what model? I guess its NYC, correct?
  • hanknychanknyc Member Posts: 2
    im being offered $28,140 with ny tax OTD at $31428..is that good??
  • xetownxetown Member Posts: 10
    Sent you an email. Interested in a group buy as well.
    I am also interested in group buy, what to do? someone make group and email us?
  • xetownxetown Member Posts: 10
    email me.. x e t o w n a t h o t m a i l d o t c o m
  • tl_stl_s Member Posts: 13
    anyone still interested in group buy, please contact me and see if i can put something together.