Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Toyota Highlander Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• ken1496ken1496 Member Posts: 11
    I am in the bay area as well. Would you mind sharing the dealer info? Thanks,
  • edl3edl3 Member Posts: 2
    Hansel Toyota in Petaluma. I used Edmunds to get quotes from multiple dealers. I liked the guy there and at SF Toyota best. Another guy in Vacaville was responsive and competitive as well; he was on the back burner if I didn't get my deal closer.
  • maddy1986maddy1986 Member Posts: 1
    Was it a Limited? I am looking for a 10 HL limited extra value package number 2 (or aka as package number 8)
  • cain5cain5 Member Posts: 1
    Just purchased a 2010 Higlander Base V6 AWD. It had the following options: EH,PE,DJ,TO,CT,SR, and EVP#2. Bought the car for $ 30,200 this includes the $ 800 destination fee from Penn Toyota on Long Island. I hope this helps.
  • eepeareepear Member Posts: 1
    Are you able to see out the rear view mirror with the DVD player down? My dealer will install a 7" or 9" DVD, and I'm not sure which way to go.

Also, do you have XM radio installed, curious to know what the XM display looks like on the Navigation screen.

Looks like you got a great price. I'm in the Carolinas, have not purchased yet.
    Thanks!
  • bell6bell6 Member Posts: 2
    Hi friends, Got new Highlander base V6 FWD with following options SR/QB/PE/CT/FE/EH, black in color. Paid $27,100 + tax and fees, This is in Orang county CA.

Out of the door cost me $30,400. MSRP $30510

Is this a good deal?

Thanks
  • steven1357steven1357 Member Posts: 69
    $ 3,410 off of MSRP for a base Highlander sounds good to me.

But, you did pay $ 3,300 of TT&L and "fees"

Depending on how much those "fees" were, it still might be a good deal.

Did the dealer / salesman give any indication as to why they gave you that amount off of the MSRP?
  • bell6bell6 Member Posts: 2
    Here is the exact break up
    27100+ 55(document fees)+ 2399 Taxes (8.75%) + DMV fees+ 30(DMV filing) + 245 (Guardian lock) + 314 (reg) + 88 (title transfer) + 7

30238 + full tank gass.

I asked for $26800, dealer came back with $27999, but eventually worked out for $27100.
    The car had about 50 miles on it, may be it was there at their lot for long or either they got it from another dealer.

I guess the trend is about a couple of hundered $ below invoice.
  • mbclkmbclk Member Posts: 6
    bell6,
    I think it's a good deal. can you email (mbzclk3202002@yahoo.com) me the name of the salesman and the dealership... I too live in O.C. looking for V6 highlander.

Thanks
  • jbaby79jbaby79 Member Posts: 36
    Hello All,

Looking to help my brother-in-law purchase a Highlander Limited with value package #8 in the Houston area. Anyone have any suggestion on a specific dealer to work with or even avoid?

Thanks,

John
  • fm1fm1 Member Posts: 20
    The dealer is offering HL limited with OI#8 and O7(customer reward). He dealer is willing to give $3500 off the MSRP. Is this a good deal?

A couple of other questions, is P4 package is worth while?
    Is it good idea to have towing package?
    Thanks.

fm
  • tl_stl_s Member Posts: 13
    want to find out what is the best price out there that people are getting the 2010 highlander hybrid for so far?
    thanks
  • amithamith Member Posts: 5
    I got a quote for a 2009 Toyota Highlander Base version ( 4 cyl and FWD) without 3rd row seating for 24,400 + TTL. Also the dealer is offering 0% APR. This is a special pricing for the red tag event here in Midwest. Do you guys think this is a good deal?

Thanks,
  • dan1917dan1917 Member Posts: 3
    Hello friends, I just got a quote for a 2010 HL Base V6 AWD with several options, with a MSRP of $32,030, for $28,500 or $30,500 OTD, including MD 6% tax, TTL, and dealer fee ($100). Is it a good/reasonable deal? any comments are appreciated. Thanks.
    The $ 28,500 is $ 3,530 less than the MSRP of $ 32,030

I don't have my figures right in front of me so I may be off by a few dollars either way, but I thought it would be more useful for me to reply more quickly than to be 100% accurate on the amounts.

I just purchased a 2010 Toyota Highlander Limited FWD for about $ 3,880 less than the MSRP.
    I will post much more detail as soon as I can.
    I am in the Gulf States Toyota Distributor area, so we pay $ 55 more for Delivery and that Distributor adds options to all of the Toyotas it sends to its dealers - so we generally pay a little more than the rest of the country.

Your's is a Base, but it has AWD which would be a tad more than a 2 Wheel Drive, so if you had bought a 2 Wheel Drive, that $ 3,530 could be better by at least a couple of hundred dollars.

You didn't say in what part of the country you are, but that would have some bearing on just how good that deal is.

Bottom line is I think that is (as True Car would call it), a "great deal".

You are buying at the best time of the year because all of the dealers are trying to increase their total # of sales for the entire year 2009. I don't think you could get that price after 1-1-10. Of course, there is always the chance that Toyota will start offering Cash Rebates on it's Highlanders - so it is always a crap shoot.

Certainly can't guarantee this, but if you wait until after XMas, their pencil could get a little sharper between 12-26-09 & 12-31-09. But, there is always a chance that they might sell it to someone else since you probably have not put a deposit on it.
    For unrelated reasons that I won't bore you with, I had to purchase mine before 12-31-09 & before XMas was even better for me. Also, there was only 1 Limited within a few hundred miles that could suit what I wanted, so I decided to take the plunge & possibly pay a few dollars extra for something that was there as oppossed to them trying to find one "out of the region" which may have delayed my purchase beyond 12-31-09.

Another benefit of buying beforethe end of the year is that you can deduct the sales taxes on your federal return even if you do not itemize. Depending on your tax bracket, that would save you a few hundred dollars more.

Just to satisfy yourself more as to how good a deal this is, I would visit TrueCar.com and this website to enter all of the details & options of your proposed purchase. Both of them will give you a price that they think is a good deal.

I know it is easier to just get some random opinions, but there is no substitute to doing a little research & determining your own answer to your question.
    Thanks so much for your detailed info. Truly appreciate that. Yes, according to Truecar.com, it was a great deal, but I would like to get more info from this community to improve my negotiating aspects. I plan to buy it before year end to get the tax deductible benefits.

Again, thanks for your help. Have a very Merry Christmas & a Happy New Year.

Best Regards.
  • bb222bb222 Member Posts: 4
    Hello,

I am looking for a Highlander Sport (in San Francisco bay area) and was told that the Sport model will be replaced by SE model in 2010. However, I can't find any SE model in any dealership. Does anyone know why SE model is so hard to find? Any idea what would be a good price for Highlander SE?

Thanks.
  • fbdfbd Member Posts: 6
    Looking for deals on 2010 Highlander Limited AWD w/navigation and without. Not sure about extra value package 1 and 2, but I need towing package, blue tooth and satellite radio. Any information would be appreciated.
  • jmultanijmultani Member Posts: 2
    Hi Maddy : did you have any other options besides EV pacakge #8 ? Was the price you quoted above, $35925, include sales tax, Registration and title fees ?
  • jmultanijmultani Member Posts: 2
    what was the price before taxes, TTL ?
  • fbdfbd Member Posts: 6
    Looks like you are in MD. What dealership are you dealing with? I am ready to buy a Highlander Lmtd AWD before 12/31 too.
    Hi fbd,

Email me at datanguyen@hotmaildotcom. I 'll give you more detailed info.
  • ttom1ttom1 Member Posts: 1
    hello everyone,

Just got a quote for a 2010 HL Base 2WD V6 (stock#6946) with these option:

EV#2
    Moonroof
    towing package 5000lb
    Leather seat
    6CD disc

OTD $33000

Is it a good deal? I try couter offer for $32k but successful, should i jump on this?

Thanks! happy new yr!
  • gmcafeegmcafee Member Posts: 11
    Wanted to report our price and experience.

2010 Highlander Limited
    Options:
    Extra Value Package #7
    Power Rear Door
    Towing Prep Package
    (plus rear bumper protector and sport-styled rear spoiler, which we didn't want)

Out the door price was 34,533.60. This included a $499 doc fee, taxes, tags, inspection. "Selling price" before doc fee, taxes, tags, inspection was $32,900. MSRP was $36,589.

We received e-mail quotes and this was one of them. When we went to purchase at this price, the dealer said he had made a "huge, huge mistake", saying he was looking at 2009 incentives. Therefore, the price was going to go up $1,000 from his quote. We walked and opened a case with Toyota Corporate regarding not honoring their quote. We were contacted by the dealer later that day saying they would honor the quote.

Signed the papers and wrote the big check. Car is scheduled to arrive Monday, 1/4/10.
    That is a good price.

Did you buy it today (12-31-09)?
    What city & state did you buy it in?
  • gmcafeegmcafee Member Posts: 11
    We bought it 12/30/09 in Raleigh, NC.
  • firstacurafirstacura Member Posts: 12
    HI! Would appreciate if anyone can post recent price paid for a AWD Limited with EV8 package in the Washington DC area. Thanks.
  • saleman99saleman99 Member Posts: 16
    I ordered a Sport model 2 months ago and was also told that the SE was replacing the Sport. However, I don't think that's true. If you go on the Toyota website, you can still build a Sport or an SE. The SE, does not allow any changes or packages. It has certain things that come standard (ie. leather). I'll post my buying experience soon. I don't have the paperwork in front of me.
  • tech_id2003tech_id2003 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking for 2010 Highlander LTD AWD with package8 + tow package and spoiler. I live in Twin Cities area (MN). I was given a quote for 36,552+tax+title+license. Is this a good quote?

If anyone bought a similar model recently in Twin Cities area or in Wisconsin can you let me know the price.

I was given a quote for package 7 + tow + spoiler for 34,465+tax+license.
  • firstacurafirstacura Member Posts: 12
    I am getting a quote for $37,400 plus processing fee, taxes, tag for a LTD with EV8 and Tow and rear spoiler and carpet/cargo mat. Is this a good price? I think its on the high side.

Also, the dealer does not have the color I want but wants me to put down a deposit. Never been in this situation before always seen the car before putting money down. Appreciate if anyone has advise on how to ensure I get the car I paid the deposit for.

Thanks.
  • beachfish2beachfish2 Member Posts: 177
    I don't even know what EV8 is.

An hour ago I picked up a Limited that I'd put a $300 deposit on the day after Christmas. It pretty much has everything except the rear entertainment system. The ordering process involves detailed written descriptions that are signed. They showed me the stock number and specs on the screen, but no VIN was available so it probably hadn't been built for all I know. I tried to give them $100 cash, but they requested $300. Sigh, they'll take a check for nearly $40k(includes $1100 tax and $395 fee for screwing the license plates on, etc.), but think $300 is more meaningful than $100 to somebody buying one of these things.

They knocked a couple grand or so off the sticker and then forgot to add the XM, mud flaps and exhaust tip when they prepped it today. Hey, if I don't like the last two I can take them off. I love XM. I'm taking it in Monday after work and driving a loaner home. The sales guy is new and very easy to get along with.

I really, really wanted black rubber mats, but they're not available. I got "free" carpet for all three rows and the rug for the back. WeatherTech here I come. Could just turn the carpet over I suppose. ;)

I'm thinking the Bridgestone Dueler H/L 400s are going to have to go. I read the reviews. I need tires that excel in sudden blinding downpours on the Interstate, especially on 81 with the heavy truck traffic.

John
  • gilbertsgungilbertsgun Member Posts: 1
    We are in the market for a 2010 V6base. A dealer has agreed to sell us one for roughly 26.7k and includes the extra value package and some other extras. The sticker says its 2010 but the MSRP has 2009 pricing (27,600 vs. 27,750). How can i tell that I am actually getting a 2010- the pricing is lower than area competitors and i am a little suspicious.
  • porsche911c4sporsche911c4s Member Posts: 99
    Any recommendations for an honest toyota dealer in the CT-NY-NJ area? Looking at a highlander specifically. Thanks!
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,681
    If the official Monroney sticker states 2010, I'd believe it...

Most manufacturers have mid-model year price increases.. It's possible you are comparing pre- and post-price increase cars...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• roandbobroandbob Member Posts: 10
    Your quote for the Highlander with the package #7 is a good one, as I paid 34,853 for that model with the tow package, power rear door, spoiler, carpets etc (MSRP 38,040). When the dealer couldn't find the highlander with pckg# 7, he offered me a Highlander with a Nav system (don't know which pckg this would be) for $36,000. I refused as I really didn't want an integrated Nav and held out for the Highlander that I eventually got. (highlanders referred to are Limited AWD)
  • wtwhousewtwhouse Member Posts: 2
    I have been looking around and prices range from 42K to 48K for same vehicle? What are people acually paying. Same pricing 42K and close is available for low milage used models with same trim levels as well? Anyone have any experience? I am ready to take the plunge as a city driver with 3 dogs.
    thanks
    I've been quoted:

2009 Highlander Base V6 4WD. Managers demo w/1800 miles:
    MSRP: 32, 720
    Price: 29,218

I'm not sure of the options (probably the popular ones), I haven't negotiated yet either (talking with them over the internet and have not been to dealer before).

This doesn't seem like a good price to me, but i'm not sure. What do you guys think? Vehicle is in NY.

Thanks!
    IMHO that is not a good price.

That is just $ 3,502 less than the MSRP for a HL Base that is 1 year old.
    The 1st year depreciation that you have already lost is going to be over 2 1/2 times that amount.

On 12-23-09, I got a 2010 Limited for $ 3,863 less than the MSRP.
    Thanks for the response steven!

I didn't think that was a good price....I've been using Truecar but i know that wouldn't help me with a demo. Would you happen to know what I should be shooting for (not including out the door)?

I've tried to research it on internet sites (KBB) but it appears that the numbers are inflated.

They also have a 2009 4x4 Sport Demo (unsure how many miles are on it) MSRP: 37,080. Assuming the mileage is the same, would you (or anyone else) know a good price (not including out the door)?

Thanks guys!
    I would price a 2010 with EXACTLY the options & accessories the Demo has AND then DISCOUNT IT HEAVILY.

To do that, you must first find out EXACTLY what is in that Base.
    Then, price it on TrueCar, Edmunds (this site), or even Consumer Reports.

The best time to have bought was before the end of the year, but it may not be too late to do decently. But, IMHO, I think you can probably get a 2010 for about the same money. I would pursue both a 2010 AND a 2009 & see where it leads you.
    Thanks!
  • jac1304jac1304 Member Posts: 33
    What would be a good price when looking at limited AWD Highlander with option 8 (Navi). Over- invoice or at invoice with the 500 dollars Toyota cash?
  • espressooespressoo Member Posts: 20
    I'm curious to know why the Toyota Highlander incentives on Edmunds differs from those listed on Cars.com? Edmunds currently shows $400 Military Bonus Cash rebate only available to active duty personnel. Cars.com however, currently has a $750 cash rebate with no restrictions on who qualifies.

Does anyone know where these incentives can be verified? Btw, this is for the mid-atlantic area.
    The $ 400 Military Rebate has been around for quite some time.

If there IS a $ 750 rebate, I would "GUESS" that it would not be on the 2010s - but I certainly don't know.

To make sure what is available in your area, go to the following link.
    http://www.toyota.com/highlander/

Then click on Highlander Shopping Tools at the far right top of the page.
    Then enter your Zip code under "Local Specials".

In my Zip Code, the only incentive on 2010s is a low APR if you finance your purchase. It actually has been there at least since the beginning of 12-09
    I went here and played around with various zip codes surrounding the DC metro area. It seems like surrounding state does show a $750 cash rebate that Edmunds does not. These areas include DC/MD/PA/VA/WV based on a few that I entered.

http://www.cars.com/go/advice/incentives/incentivesModel.jsp?zc=20001&myid=11324-

I don't think Toyota's website would list all their incentives besides low APR since it would put their dealerships at a huge disadvantage in negotiations. It's third party sites like Edmunds/Cars.com that report these for savvy buyers who have done their research. My question is, how can incentives known to one website not be known to another considering the amount of web traffic each of these two gets? Is it possible Cars.com is incorrect? I would like to know the facts before negotiations and not get shot down if there are indeed incentives.
    Then, I guess your Question should be addressed to Edmunds as to why they do not show that incentive.

Consumer Reports also does NOT show that incentive for ANY area in the U.S. They show only the lower APR rates.

But that still does not mean that Cars.com is wrong. Maybe they are the only ones that know about it.

Incentives are a tricky thing, so you can NOT rely on just 1 source.
    If there really is such an incentive in the area you noted, a dealer in that area should be able to confirm that. Just go on his website & find the incentives tab.
    The only problem with contacting a dealership and asking what incentives they participate in is often times they are less than truthful on their responses other than disclosing APR incentives since that too is highly subjective based on qualification. They can easily say they don't participate in the $750 cash rebate while in fact they do. I just like to know what the invoice is minus all incentives I qualify for and tell them if they sold the car for $xx,xxx they still break even then have them earn my business. Sure I might not know what hold backs or the exact invoice is but a national base average is good enough. At the end of the day, if they sell me the car at invoice but pocket the $750, I'm fine with that but without this knowledge, I would feel at a disadvantage at the negotiation table.
    You don't have to contact them - Just look on their website.

I did just that on the website of the dealer I bought my Limited from.
    They show ALL of the incentives that I know exist for the 2010 Highlander (The APR, the Military Cash Rebate, and even a College Graduate Cash Rebate).

And on some other Toyotas that have more significant cash rebates, they list all of those as well.

I agree that they all may have some other Highlander incentives they receive that no one knows about, but the ones you are interested in and would ever find out about are there to be found. As I stated earlier, to be sure I was aware of all of those, I would NOT rely on only 1 source but would search for that information on all of the sources you & I mentioned.
  • petchipetchi Member Posts: 1
    I picked up my 2010 FWD Highlander Sport from the dealer yesterday. It included EV #5 (Upgraded audio, multi display, auto air and bluetooth), sunroof, tow prep, and floor mats options. According to truecar, Invoice is $30,757. I paid $29950+taxes in CA SF bay area.

Could not have been more happier with the dealer, it was a hassle free and bargaining free shopping experience. If anyone in the bay area is looking for a highlander, you might want to consider the Jimmy-Vasser Napa dealership as well.
  • icey1383icey1383 Member Posts: 3
    Here is the offer:
    2009 Highlander Limited 4x2
    MSRP: $41598
    includes: Package #8 (Nav), DVD package, lots of extras
    Miles: 8100

Selling Price: $35059

Should we take it? We were going to get a 2010 Limited with MSRP of $39084 for OTD of $38800. But we saw this so now we are debating. Any advice would help!