Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and Earlier - Toyota Highlander Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    justchilljustchill Member Posts: 5
    I purchased it from a autonation dealership in SFO Bay area.
  • Options
    espressooespressoo Member Posts: 20
    That's a really good price at or even below invoice. What region/state did you purchase from? In my area, Blizzard Pearl Limited is in high demand therefore most dealerships have no problems selling $1-2K above Edmunds invoices. I guess I got lucky.
  • Options
    dams2dams2 Member Posts: 4
    I went to the dealer sometime in Nov 2009 and negotiated the price.I asked for Metalic Gray LTD AWD with Package #8 (w/Nav)+V6 Towing Pakg+Sport Styled rear Spoiler+delaer installed 11" RES+Exhasut Tip .The best price they offered me is $36650.The delaer didnt have that color in stock and asked me to wait till Dec 2nd week.I paid $1000 to book this vechile.But delaer couldn't deliver me the vechile till Jan2010.Mean time i went out of country for a vacation for 2 weeks in Jan 2010.He left me few messages during my vacation stating that my vechile is ready to pickup.I came back to the dealer very next day after my vacation and relaised that Metallic color vechile is no longer in their lot.They told me to take Salasa red with same configuration i have asked for,but i told them i dont prefer this color. Other colors available was Silver with Package #8 (w/Nav)+Towing+rear Spoiler +another$1000 options(Crossbar+Toyota remote Strater+Floor/CargoMat with 3rd Row.) and Blizzard pearl with Package #8 (w/Nav) +Built in RES+Towing+Rear Spoiler+Floor/CargoMat with 3rd Row.
    The dealer told he can give some discount because they couldn't give me the Metalic Gray color.So i put another $550 to my previous quote and took silver color highlander.So finally i paid $37150 for
    Silver LTD AWD with Extra Value Package #8 (w/Nav)
    11" Delaer Installed Rear Entertainment with Wireless headphones .
    Toyota Remote Engine Starter.
    Sport-Styled Rear Spoiler
    Cross Bars
    Carpet/Cargo Mat
    V6 Towing Prep Package
    Chrome Exhaust Tip

I live in Chicago,IL and delaer located in Northwest sub of chicago.
  • Options
    carlupicarlupi Member Posts: 52
    If you are in the Washington DC area (includes DC, parts of Maryland and Virginia) check out the prices at Fitzgerald Auto Mall (Gaithersburg, MD) and Laurel Toyota Car Max (Laurel, MD) for low, fixed, no-haggle prices on Toyotas. At both dealerships one can generally buy a Highlander for about MSRP -10% (including freight costs). I priced other dealers in the area and could have saved another $200 or so on my Toyota, but would have had to put up with the song and dance and pressure-sales tactics common in this business.
  • Options
    timmychentimmychen Member Posts: 13
    I've been looking for a Cypress Pearl (green) Highlander for the past week or so. I'm still trying to decide between the base V6 and adding aftermarket leather... and the SE.

Most the dealers are floating around the same price... that's $27k for the base V6 and $31k for the SE. What do you folks think of these prices?

Anyone have any experience with aftermarket leather? Quotes from dealers are varying between $1300 - $2000.
  • Options
    jsdtxjsdtx Member Posts: 11
    We traded an 08 on a 10, black tan AWD Limited with most everything except Nav. Paid $36,000 in Texas on a $500 over invoice deal. Received $27K for the 08 with 34000 miles. With the gas pedal problems and the fact that we have two teenagers in the house, my wife wanted to get out of this car. With 2,000 miles, Acura dealers are offering from $22,500-$27,000 for this car. The incentive have alot to do with it, but they say, we cannot sell this car on our lot. We have to sell to it a Toyota dealer. Keep this in mind when buying the new ones. We are probably stuck but I have never seen such resale prices drop on a brand new car. There is a reason why lawyers have taken these cases against Toyota on price drops.
  • Options
    wooohaaawooohaaa Member Posts: 33
    I don't believe this is because of the recall. ANY new car looses 15-20% the moment you drive it off the lot. You should estimate how much a new Acura MDX would cost to purchase and then shop that "imaginary" car at Lexus or Toyota dealer. See what their ballpark trade in value would be on a new purchase. You will be shocked at what they would offer.
  • Options
    Personally, I would get the SE that already comes with OEM leather. Shop around for a good price and right color combo. Unless you're opting for a leather color that Toyota doesn't offer, you can't beat the fit and finish of OEM leather unless you're willing to spend thousands on an aftermarket product AND install. Also, it's not just the leather seats you'll have to change out, it's the armrests and door inserts as well. I would think twice about aftermarket leather on a brand new car if it was already available from the factory.
  • Options
    Wow, that's the biggest mistake ever to trade-in a brand new car that you just purchased. Of course the other dealership is going to offer you pennies on the dollar for your trade-in. They're going to take advantage of buyer's remorse. Your best bet is to sell it privately. With only 2K miles, probably still smells new. Although you paid $36K, I'm guessing invoice is closer to $34-5K without Nav, I'm sure you'd find a buyer for $31-32K without a problem. People by dealer demos with 2K+ miles without much of a discount. At $30K, I would bet it sells in a week. Black w/Beige interior is pretty common and a well liked color combo.

Unless you need a new car right away, I would take some time to think about jumping directly to an Acura or another car so quickly. Goodluck.
  • Options
    pcx1pcx1 Member Posts: 6
    With all these 0% APR and price close to invoice, do you guys think it's best to buy one now? I can wait but eventually will need to get one by this summer and will be financing it.

Thanks
  • Options
    mdhuttonmdhutton Member Posts: 195
    Agree. Why would you NOT want OEM leather? Too many people trying to purchase the base model and then accessorize to make them think they're in an SE or LTD. If you can't afford the higher trim level, maybe this vehicle is a bit of a stretch. No disrespect intended, just my $0.02.
  • Options
    maomaocaomaomaocao Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I am in Illinois and want to buy highlander too. Which dealer did you go? thx.
  • Options
    I think it's the other way around... I don't want to buy a base to make it look like as SE. All I want is leather, and not any of the other SE features. Why spend almost $5000 MORE to get stuff you don't need... when $1300 will get you to everything you want? (if aftermarket leather is all that it's cracked up to be by some people)

It's like... why take a toddler to Disneyland when they'll be just as amused at the Disney store.... so long as when you buy them a Winnie the Pooh doll there, it's the same quality as the one at the amusement park.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    If you find the exact vehicle you want at a good price and can afford the payments now would be a good time with the 0% APR. Assuming that you finance the whole amount and it cost $35K, with 0% APR vs 3.9% APR, you're saving over $3.5K in finance charges over the life of the loan. The upfront cash incentive equivalent of this is over $3K if you had 3.9% financing. I would go here and play with the numbers.

http://www.edmunds.com/apps/calc/CalculatorController?pmtcalAction=apr_cash_calc- -

I've only seen Toyota offer a $2,000-2,500 cash incentive for Highlanders during model year changes for Southeastern regions. This happened late 2008 right around the time 2009 models were released. Due to a surplus in 2008 inventory, people from MD/VA purchased cars in NC and had them delivered and saved about $2K. That was the most cash incentives I've noticed for the Highlander.

Unless Toyota decides to add cash incentives AND allow for you to get 0% APR, it's unlikely you'll receive a bigger savings. In terms of SUV sales, Highlanders are one of Toyota's top product. It could happen but it's hard to imagine them giving a lot of cash upfront and APR incentives this low.
  • Options
    Realistically, I would price out the exact Base AWD model you want with any added options and do the same for the SE AWD. Add in $2K to the base model for aftermarket leather then do your comparison. I used a high value of $2K just to include install rather than going with the lowest figure. Unless you're willing to settle for the most basic base model, I don't think the price gap is $5K if you get a good deal on either vehicle. I've seen Based AWD with the most basic options go for low $27K but add the $2K leather and you're at approximately $29K. On the other hand, I've seen SE AWD go for low $30K. Now if the price difference is just $1K, you're telling me it isn't worth picking up an SE AWD over a Base AWD? You get an additional 3rd row, dual air front, auto rear air, heated & power leather seats, moonroof, tow package standard and other options.

So again, for $1K more, you wouldn't settle for an SE AWD but would rather go with the Base AWD w/aftermarket leather? If you're budget conscience, I can understand but realistically, it's hard to overlook the number of upgrades for $1K.
  • Options
    1. Are you sure those are prices for AWD? not FWD?

2. For $1k, that's a no brainer. But what if it was 2K, or 3K difference... or more. At some point, it's not THAT important for me to have the moonroof etc.
  • Options
    It depends on your region but within the Central Atlantic area, those prices are very realistic for both the Base and SE AWD models.

For $2K, I would still pick the SE over the Base however if it was closer to $3K+, I would stick with the Base. Best of luck with your decision.
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Are the Toyota incentives tempting you? A reporter wants to know. Please respond to pr@edmunds.com with your thoughts no later than Tuesday, March 23, 2010.
    Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    allnew3allnew3 Member Posts: 38
    Yes, no other reason to trade my 2006 Avalon in other than to take advantage of the 0% financing, $3500 above fair market value for my trade + 2years maint. free program for a loyal Toyota customer. Seems like a great time to buy. A free economy is a beautiful thing....
  • Options
    nacenace Member Posts: 45
    will toyota discount a highlander se if a cash transaction was offered in lieu
    of 0% financing ? if no than i would make payments for a sixty month period. if yes, i am interested in purchasing a new highlander se and am wondering how much of a discount i can expect with a cash transaction. thank you
  • Options
    How are you determining your discounted price? From MSRP or Invoice? I'm sure any place you go to will give you a discount from MSRP. Whether or not they discount below invoice depends on any cash incentives Toyota or that specific dealership offers. Right now, the best price would be Edmunds's invoice price before any discounts. If you qualify for the Military Bonus incentive, you can lower the price by an additional $500. So in theory, your best price would be Invoice minus $500. Whether that's true or not depends on your dealership and their lowest selling price. If they sell it at Invoice, there's only some profit so they're less willing to do so. To the dealership, it probably doesn't matter if you offer cash or finance it, especially if Toyota already offers 0% APR. They're in business to sell cars. Either way, they get their money from the bank, Toyota Financial Service or you in terms of cash payment.

Since it's basically a free 5 year loan if you qualify, it doesn't make sense to pay cash or put a down payment if you can comfortably afford the monthly payments.
  • Options
    wooohaaawooohaaa Member Posts: 33
    Here is my deal using 0% for 60 months.

2010 Toyota Highlander Limited 4X4
    Extra Value Package 8 including NAV
    Rear-Seat DVD Entertainment System
    Tow Prep Package
    Rear Spoiler
    Carpet Mats

MSRP 41,345
    Selling Price 37,200
  • Options
    tjuliantjulian Member Posts: 3
    wooohaaa, you ended up a little better than my deal. I pick mine up today.

2010 Toyota Highlander Limited 4X4
    Extra Value Package 8 including Nav
    Rear-Seat DVD Entertainment System
    Tow Prep Package
    Rear Spoiler
    Carpet Mats

MSRP 41,574
    Selling Price 37,691
  • Options
    pkadpkad Member Posts: 4
    That's a great price ? Where did you get this one
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I just booked a 2010 SE AWD with standard features for 32+TTL in NJ. I had called number of dealers in 100ml area and prices above this. Dealer MSRP for all around 35K in this area. I wanted Gray color and black interior only. Took me 2 weeks to get in this color.

-Prashant,
  • Options
    draku007draku007 Member Posts: 2
    pkad, where did you buy the car? I'm looking for the same car here in NJ: Magnetic Gray, ash interior + Bluetooth + Crossbars for $32,000. I have local dealers that are 400-500 over my 32K limit.
  • Options
    Holman Toyota,Cherry Hill. They didn't have it but they had to get it from some other dealer and so that could have added to my price. But with bluetooth I would say easily add $400 to $600 more. With Gray color for some reason it's not available with most dealer. If you find some dealer you have it on his lot than it should be below $32K.
  • Options
    justchilljustchill Member Posts: 5
    I didn't even negotiate. This was the advertised price in the newspaper. I just checked their inventory on sunday evening and called if they would like me to come.
  • Options
    alexg2alexg2 Member Posts: 1
    Folks, I would appreciate an advice here

Looking to take advantage of 0% APR and buy '10 Highlander. Never bought such a decent car before, and actually used a Zipcar for a last few years, but with a second son coming this summer I decided its time to get our own vehicle, choosing Highlander for its good capacity and ability to handle snowy New England winters.

So I'm looking for an advice on what build should I go with and what particular options would you recommend me to have. We're going to use the car mainly for short outdoors trips with kids, nothing really special. We're planning to keep this car for next 5-7 years, so we're ready to invest more now, especially since it goes at 0% APR.

Off the top of my head I can think of leather seats (better for kids - clean spills etc) and DVD entertainment in the rear as useful options to have... Any advice will be appreciated!
  • Options
    schan1wschan1w Member Posts: 8
    I haven't seen anyone from CA post any info lately. Usually, CA prices are the best, but most of my quotes for a AWD Limited EV#8 are about $500-1000 over invoice (before rebate). Best one I have is at invoice. I do have the impression that inventory is very limited though. Anyone able to get one below invoice in CA?
  • Options
    draku007draku007 Member Posts: 2
    SE+bluetooth +crossbars+wheel lock+cargo net = 32,230+TTL
    Dealer from NJ
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I went through the same ordeal a few weeks ago except on the East coast. With the current 0% APR incentive going on right now, it appears that sales were picking up. I spoke to several dealerships that offered $1000+ over invoice and one did $500 over but would not budge. The problem with the last one was it was sitting around since Dec and had the recall fixed at the dealership. I finally found a place that sold for Edmunds invoice so I jumped on it. I don't see an incentive for any dealership to offer a huge discount below invoice for an AWD Limited EVP#8 while having a hard time up keeping inventory. At least this was the case in my area. Maybe $100-200 if you're lucky. I'd ask myself if it's worth missing out on the 0% APR over that amount if you've found the exact car you wanted. Toyota could very well extend the current incentive and add cash rebates or could simply say Highlander sales are good and remove it. Given my options, I didn't want to gamble away $4K in finance savings.
  • Options
    tl_stl_s Member Posts: 13
    going to test driver a highlander hybrid and want to buy one, want to find out from owners of hybrid what driving characteristics or symtoms to expect from owning a hihy. :confuse:
    thanks in advance for the response.
  • Options
    dp491dp491 Member Posts: 4
    2010 Highlander SE Black on Black Leather, $32,500 OTD, Gap insurance $695.

$33,195 OTD with Gap Insurance.

Is this a good deal? Should I get the Gap Insurance?
  • Options
    That's a really good price... (unless you live in a state with no tax)... in which case it's still not bad.

Call you car insurance... ask them what they charge for gap insurance... probably less.
  • Options
    snowdaddyosnowdaddyo Member Posts: 53
    $695 for GAP? Yikes, my insurance company charges $20/year.
  • Options
    duvaluduvalu Member Posts: 8
    dp491,
    I"m in the Northen NJ area and I"m looking for a similar price. Where did you get this deal?
  • Options
    Duvalu - Kansas/Missouri

State Farm doesn't offer Gap.

Farmers does, if you let them do the financing, but they don;t have 0% lol.
  • Options
    synch22synch22 Member Posts: 16
    I would help you out but after signing docs etc on March 8th we wont be getting the car until Monday! what a wait jeez, but i did want one that was on a ship at the time so my fault.Go take a drive and see for yourself.

I personally like the technology, MPG (even though its not whats stated) and the overall feel of the ride (quiet).

To me it was worth the $7k or so we paid extra for the hybrid. We wanted an suv type car but not the MPG that go along with them.
  • Options
    tim92887tim92887 Member Posts: 7
    I am in the market for a highlander limited w/ pack 8, rear spoiler, 4x2 without rear entertainment dvd system. From what I read on here I assume I can get somewhere around 34500 before ttl. Does that sound right?

I test drove one the other day (4x4, w/out nav, pearl white, sunroof) and this suv is awesome. The dealer only had this one in stock and it wasnt exactly what i wanted but I told him I'd still consider if he would give me a good price. I would have considered if it was close to 34500-35000 before ttl but they continued to bring up dealer invoice prices on their computer which showed higher invoice prices than edmunds. After an hour I still couldnt even get them to give me a price and just kept saying 34500 was insane. Can I ask how you guys are going about getting these good prices that I'm reading about? I am a newbie car buyer and just looking for alittle assistance on getting a fair deal. BTW im located in southern cali. Any tips would be helpful.
  • Options
    highlandermohighlandermo Member Posts: 2
    Just bought a new 2010 Highlander SE 4x2 this weekend. Did I negotiate a good price? Here are the specifics:

SE 4x2 Magnetic Gray with Ash Interior
    Only option added on: 3rd Row Floor Mat

Walk out the door Price: $30,229. This included everything except taxes.

• Options
    camry1317camry1317 Member Posts: 16
    Buying a white Highlander with black leather interior, its an SE with mats and third row seating.

MSRP: $35,225
    Purchase Price: $29,850
    0% Financing for 60 months

Traded in a 2007 Toyota and got excellent blue book value.

I think I did pretty well :)
  • Options
    That's an awesome price, where did you get this?
  • Options
    theboilermakertheboilermaker Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2010
    Just put a deposit down to hold a Highlander AWD Limited without Nav, with Extra Value Package #7, Power Rear Door, Tow Prep, Spoiler.

Edmunds says MSRP: 37,915.
    Was quoted 35,000 before TTL, and getting 0% financing.

Is that a good deal? Edmunds says Invoice is 34,121...
  • Options
    Drove the car off the lot Saturday.

A dealer in Missouri had the best deal. We drove 3.5 hours from Oklahoma.

2010 Highlander SE AWD
    Black on Black Leather

$32,500 OTD, including Gap insurance
  • Options
    MA
  • Options
    I just drove my new Highlander home...

Ended up going with the black on black SE instead of white with black interior.

MSRP - $35,005
    Sale Price - $29,667
    Fees excluding tax - $350

Ended up getting the Toyota Platinum 7yr/100k for $800 financed into the 0% loan. Hopefully I will never need it.

Traded in my car for $100 less than KBB excellent value.

On a scale of 1-10 how did I do?
  • Options
    duvaluduvalu Member Posts: 8
    Camry1317,
    That's a great deal that you got. Which dealer in Massachusetts? I"m looking for the same deal.

Thanks,
    duvalu
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Copeland Toyota, they were great there, Boch prices without the Boch atmosphere. I also bought a Camry Hybrid from them a couple years ago with a $30k sticker for about $26,5, can't remember exact price.

Falmouth Toyota told me that invoice on the Highlnder was about $32k and if you you factor in holdbacks and incentives Copeland would be losing a couple hundred dollars. I think Falmouth Toyota would have done the deal for about $1000 more.

The places seem like they really want to move cars, probably a combination of sluggish sales and end of the month.

As for the warranty, I read the dealership cost is $780 and I read another message board saying people were getting them for $805 so even though I never buy a extended warranty, I figured the piece of mind until 100k miles was worth it at that price.

I also got quoted about $4k off MSRP of a base.

I sent one email to Copeland and they sent me certified e-prices within 6 hours with complete information on the 4 cars I inquired about. I will never buy a car from anywhere except Copeland Toyota or Falmouth Toyota again.
  • Options
    snitchinbubbs1snitchinbubbs1 Member Posts: 1
    are u sure its a 4x4 that sounds like the msrp for a 2wd. msrp for a 4wd se with leather should be around 37,500-38,700